Author Topic: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1 - Closed)  (Read 14811 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1)
« Reply #125 on: September 29, 2016, 01:46:20 PM »
"I thank you," he says softly to the folks.  "I think we shall spend the night, and then in the morning shall set out again."

Those words are as much for Rishi as for the townsfolk, and assuming Rishi has no problems, he shall sleep, getting a night's rest, and then the next morning setting out on his cloud bright and early, the best to use the sun's light to their advantage.   As well, before leaving he shall pull out two flasks, and hand one to Rishi.

"Here.  I can heal what these things do, a bit at least.  But prevention is better than a cure.  This will keep you a little safe from Wyld taint."

And so saying, he drinks his own before heading off in the direction of Bajun, eyes peeled.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: September 29, 2016, 05:01:28 PM »
Rishi nods to Khun's suggestion. "I have something I would like to do before we settle in for the night, however." Rishi comes to an agreement with Khun on where each of them was staying and when to head out in the morning, then wanders over to the local ruler, hoping for an audience. If granted, he will drop off enough money to pay for construction and security for a few months, as well as mentioning how to get ahold of him in case things get dire for this village as well. Afterwards, Rishi will spend the night as Khun suggested.

When offered the flask, he will examine it briefly, then look to see what Khun does and mimic his actions involving the flask with a mild, "Thank you." He then unsteadily gets back onto the cloud and sits down, closing his eyes as they ascend, then opening them as they level out in the air, focusing his attention all around them, attempting to discern the shadows from trees and brush from the wildlife chasing after each other, and keeping a particular eye out for the notable colouring of the Crane Samurai, even if it's only scraps.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: September 30, 2016, 12:48:51 AM »
Rishi/Khun

You can find a local yeoman who fits the description and will gratefully accept your generosity.

The night passes peacefully and leads you once more into another chill, grey morning. The mist seems oddly heavy as you near Bajun.

((OOC: Perception + Awareness, sight or hearing bonuses/specialties are fine. Stunt 1 for both of you.))

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: September 30, 2016, 02:13:16 AM »
Khun simply unstoppers his flask and chugs the potion.  He doesn't care much for the bitter taste of it, nor the sharp aftertaste, but it's not like he hasn't fed himself and others worse over his alchemical career, so it goes down without a second though nor any warning on his face.

<Tarubot> 1,0Snackoo_Detective_Excal rolled :1,0 7#d10 --> 1,0[ 1d10=2 ]1,0{2}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}, 1,0[ 1d10=8 ]1,0{8}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}, 1,0[ 1d10=6 ]1,0{6}, 1,0[ 1d10=9 ]1,0{9}, 1,0[ 1d10=9 ]1,0{9}  ---  3 successes

As they are nearing Bajun, Khun will frown at the mists below.  This is most unusual, and the conditions definitely don't seem right for this to be natural.  Either the Sisters feel they need to obscure the area, or the Wyldlings are causing something.  Regardless, he's keeping his eyes sharp, and peering into the murk below.  Worried, he spends a moment, and using his personal motes, calls upon his Spirit Detecting Glance.  Perhaps if he can see any spirits nearby, they might be able to help.  Or, worse yet, perhaps there may be none, and that may be a clue all on its own.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: September 30, 2016, 05:38:00 AM »
((OOC: Activating SAP and spending 2 motes on Excellency, for a total of 7 motes spent.

<+Magey> .ex 7 d9
<Luna> Magey: 7 d9: [4: 1, 5: 1, 6: 3, 7: 1, 8: 1]  - 2 Successes

Difficulty imposed by Dense Fog reduced by 1, and Difficulty 2-3 Sight Checks are completed automatically, thanks to Keen Sight Technique.))

As they near Bajun and the dense fog, Rishi is thankful that his awakening included sharpening his senses such that he can still see rather well through it. Uncertain as to the cause of the unseasonably dense fog, he will continue looking for the samurai, though now alert to the possibility of something less mundane lying in wait. He notes Khun's frown, and hopes it isn't something worse than his last visit to the Nine Rivers.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: September 30, 2016, 06:49:26 AM »
Rishi/Khun

For Rishi, it is much as you fear. You would expect to see some manner of spirit, but the place is barren.

In fact, it occurs to both of you that an odd silence pervades the area. The wind seems dead and still. There is no rustle of bird or chirp of insect. Between the two of you watching carefully, you are able to identify a small area where the brush was disturbed and scattered, as if in a fight.

With that identified and Rishi's eyes penetrating the fog with ease, you are able to locate a quartet of bodies: 3 hulking brutes, covered in thick hair or fur and a woman dressed in the livery of the Crane.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 30, 2016, 07:23:08 AM »
As Khun points out an area that seems to be disturbed in some way, Rishi focuses in on it and notices what appears to be the remnants of a struggle where a single Crane sacrificed her life to take down 3 massive man/beast hybrids. Akeha will want to hear of this, he notes.

He quickly grabs Khun's attention, "Four dead. One is a Crane Samurai, and the other three are some of those half-human beasts we've been hearing of. Once we're certain it's safe, do you mind if we go down and investigate? We might be able to find something else down there, like some tracks."
« Last Edit: October 01, 2016, 03:22:20 AM by Magetastica »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: September 30, 2016, 08:09:17 AM »
Akeha arches an eyebrow. "Firedust? We've seen occasional examples of it, but hardly ever encounter the weapons. Particularly within Suizasho itself," she admits, tracing the rim of her cup. "I'd be curious to inspect such a weapon, if you wouldn't mind," she nods, glancing back towards Lee.

"Is your entire entourage entertainers?" she wonders curiously. "Aside, of course, from your son," she nods. "Though it's hard to imagine he could be as untalented as he says."

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: September 30, 2016, 08:29:57 AM »
"It's what we have in common. You must understand that facility with performance was a mandatory skill for advancement in our priesthood, and most of us were members of that selfsame priesthood.

"That said, it is not our sole talent, or even the best many of us possess. I myself am also a healer- though, Master Zhao is a true master of that skill- and a student of the Nightingale; perhaps you've heard of that particular art?

"Else, amongst us are teachers, emissaries, healers, apothecaries, craftsmen of various disciplines, predominantly fine woodwork; sailors, of course we are all sailors now- vintners, brewers, seamstresses, scribes, counsellors... I suppose much of what you would expect from those trained in temples. You can expect an uncommon conviction from us once the tasks are set. If our talents can be of use to you I would be happy to place them at your disposal, Lady Hakuhi."
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016, 09:46:04 AM by Carthrat »
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 01, 2016, 08:44:15 PM »
Khun nods, and brings the cloud down.

"Watch out, all of the spirits are dead, here.  I will look into the condition of the bodies, you look for tracks."

As the cloud touches down, he will tether it to be near him as he goes to the bodies, to see if the Wyld creatures were tainted humans, or always wholly otherworldly.  As well to see if any of the taint was, or worse, is, consuming the body of the Crane warrior.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: October 02, 2016, 01:32:20 AM »
Akeha shakes her head a little. "Within the Iron Crane, only the Shirokari... pardon, the White Reaping style have a following of the ancient schools. The Kawazuru and Uetsuru both have ol traditions of the Singular Void study with our traditional blades, but I have never heard of the Nightingale," she hums, pursing her lips.

"That is quite a breadth of talents. I had hoped perhaps we could be so aided by your people, but dared not to think it would be so varied and tremendous, their skills outside the arts." She nods, "I do hope we prove suitable and hospitable enough to keep you here a while, for both our benefit," she urges gently to Lee.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: October 02, 2016, 03:54:45 AM »
"These abilities may seem nothing new to the people of Inaba, but I'm sure we can impress you all the same," replies Lee, with utmost certainty. "Truly, I most of all hope I can assist you in overcoming any unjust prejudice that your lands might hold for our kind. Thus, good works, good spirit, good religion- yes! We can demonstrate our worthiness through great acts. Devotion to righteousness and the Unconquered Sun will be repaid tenfold, though there would no doubt be difficulty in reaching the common folk with these truths at first. Are yours a naturally pious people, Lady Hakuhi? I have seen lands where people take joy in serving the gods and ask little in return, but I have also seen lands where fear of their might causes great repression; every prayer a curse in disguise, one would think by the sour faces and clenched fists. A just god is harder to find than a just man..."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: October 02, 2016, 06:13:46 AM »
"The people of Suizasho are..." Akeha hums, "Disinvolved with their gods. They exist, the people drink to them or pray to them as appropriate, but hold them neither close to their heart or in particular fear. Demons and mad spirits are far more real to us, or even just more immediate. Everyday gods are often as distant as the Dragons themselves - seek thie assistance of their representatives, see you do not offend them, move on with your life."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: October 02, 2016, 06:33:14 AM »
"I see. In a way, gods being talked of but not often seen seems somewhat proper, but as their blessings are manifest through us..." Lee hums to herself a moment, and takes another sip of wine. "There's a time and place for demonstrations and it is not soon, so I shall leave it there for now!"

She gestures to Tora for a moment. "If I may return to our previous topic, I am sure my son would be pleased to demonstrate his prowess in the ways of fire and iron to you, and I feel there is a wonderful opportunity for him to learn of your own martial traditions as well. A new land demands new preparations and a new- I suppose you could call it 'awareness', as in awareness of ones surroundings and immediate context. Could I have him accompany you as you go about your military tasks, as far as the immediate future holds?"

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: October 02, 2016, 08:35:52 AM »
Khun/Rishi

The creatures are easily identified as the same beasts you encountered a time ago: hobgoblins, humanoid beasts born of the Wyld. The Crane warrior seems normal, mortal wounds aside. There is no particular sign of taint that jump out at you.

For Rish, tracks are easily found, as there appears to have been no effort to disguise them. Plants are pounded down, branches broken, and it continues in the direction of Bajun.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 02, 2016, 09:01:54 AM »
"These are the same things I met before.  Guess it's a good thing they don't spread taint while they're trying to pulp a person."

He reaches down and takes a few objects that he suspects Akeha and the soldier's family might like to have returned to them then hops back on his cloud.

"If you have found tracks, I'll hover above and cover you.  If not, hop on, we'll go straight to the town."

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: October 02, 2016, 09:16:25 AM »
Rishi hops back onto the cloud, a strong urgency to his movements. "Tracks head to Bajun, and it seems like they weren't taking any pains to cover their tracks. How fast can this cloud go?"

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 02, 2016, 06:05:36 PM »
A look of sorrow crosses Khun's face.  "Boy, those bodies are cold enough that if something was gonna happen, it's probably already happened.  Be prepared for that."

He commands the cloud to skim the ground at a safe height and zip towards Bajun as quickly as possible.  "So, when we get there, you want to see if you can track 'em, or just want to scan from above and see if you can spot anything?"

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 02, 2016, 08:14:51 PM »
Rishi's face hardens as he listens to Khun's words. "We'll start by scanning. No point in starting to track if there's something there waiting for us." He subconsciously traces his hand along his weapons as they travel, his whole body tensed.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: October 02, 2016, 09:28:23 PM »
Rishi/Khun

As you continue forward, the fog starts to thin, until only the barest wisps of it remaining in the air.

In a short time you will arrive at the village of Bajun. It's a small, fairly common looking place, not helped by the fact that it looks like several buildings have been hit with axes. Over and over and over again.

The overall look is not helped by the bodies in the streets. Many hobgoblins and... significantly less humans than you'd expect. Despite that, the place seems oddly deserted, with nary a living thing in sight.

((OOC: Perception + Awareness. Hearing specialties/bonuses are what we're looking for.))

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: October 02, 2016, 10:57:11 PM »
As they come into the town, the sight and smell of the bodies harasses Rishi's senses. This was a good town. As he begins to reminisce, something stands out at him. "Hold up," he whispers to Khun. "It's too silent." He closes his other senses and hones his hearing as much as he can, straining to listen to every last ounce of the silence, knowing that only death and danger awaits amidst total silence.

((OOC:<+Magey> roll 7#d10
<Tarubot> 1,0Magey rolled :1,0 7#d10 --> 1,0[ 1d10=1 ]1,0{1}, 1,0[ 1d10=9 ]1,0{9}, 1,0[ 1d10=2 ]1,0{2}, 1,0[ 1d10=9 ]1,0{9}, 1,0[ 1d10=2 ]1,0{2}, 1,0[ 1d10=4 ]1,0{4}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}

Thanks to SAP the 9's count twice, making it 4 Successes, with Difficulty reduced by 1 thanks to Keen Hearing. Also, if the check is being made against something to do with slashing swords, longbows, hiding in darkness, climbing, then the Difficulty is automatically dropped to 1.))

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: October 03, 2016, 12:36:17 AM »
Akeha blinks, but nods a little. "Certainly he could accompany me through drill inspection and sparring. For the moment we have little enough to engage our company in the way I am used to commanding it, but we do have daily functions." She glances at Tora curiously. "Depending on how confident he feels, I could try sparring with him as well. I don't think it would be the best idea for Aiko or another samurai to spar with him just yet. There is a lot of... frustrated energy among my troops, and outsiders are easy targets to a Suizasho mind."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: October 03, 2016, 12:46:26 AM »
"Keeping soldiers busy is hard work, isn't it?" muses Lee. "My people are not warriors, on the whole, but should we expect to be challenged as we go about our business?"

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: October 03, 2016, 01:05:24 AM »
"Not within the town proper, no," Akeha shakes her head. "Most of the men inside Inaba are off duty and are policed by their fellows. We have enough experience with foreign merchants by now that I doubt your group should be too troublesome so long as we keep any initial conflicts controlled," she smiles nervously. "I do hope tonight's celebration will add some weight to that, though I think some future intermingling without the townspeople as a buffer might also be a good idea. Do most of your people speak Rivertongue?"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: October 03, 2016, 01:09:27 AM »
"Some. Enough that a translator should never be far, but Forest-Tongue is our dialect," Lee looks a little shamefaced. "I am not amongst them. If we are to stay here, I ought to turn my attentions to mastering your native tongue first and foremost."