imageRegister

Author Topic: Feeling out interest for some RP  (Read 3038 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Feeling out interest for some RP
« on: August 09, 2016, 05:47:13 AM »
Interested
1. Sopkins
2. Mage
3. Excal
4. Carth
5. May

Maybe
1. Ash

So a certain someone on these forums has worn me down and maybe convinced me to run an RP.

I've randomly decided I'm interested in Exalted and a new edition just came out, so hey. Serendipity. I also know some people in the DL RP, so I figured I'd put out feelers and see if anyone besides the jerk is interested.

What time is the game?

Forever. More seriously, I'm not sure I can commit an evening right now, so I figure we can just bypass that whole problem and run the game a hybrid play-by-post game. What's that, I hear you asking? The fuck is a hybrid play-by-post game? The game is play-by-post, but we make allowances for hashing stuff out in IRC when time/scenes/schedules allow. Maybe even get some true sessions in at some point.

Seriously? Play-by-post? Can't you just run real time?

I might be able to be talked into it if people really are interested by absolutely hate the idea of pbp. Seriously though, my schedule kinda sucks for most people.

How much do you want me to be able to post?

A lot? I dunno. I'm mostly looking for people who want to be active. I don't need, like, Mafia level investment, but I don't want lurkers.

Okay, fine. So what is Exalted?

Exalted is probably best qualified as "anime as fuck." You are an absolute badass, godlike being. You can kung fu punch folks across the room. You can write letters so crushing that the reader literally dies. You can literally dodge a nuclear blast going off in your face. Which is good. Because the world is screwed and a lot of people -really- dislike you. Also you might occasionally snap and break down weeping uncontrollably or murdering everyone or something else awkward.

I feel this summary nails it pretty well:

"Exalted is a game where one of your main antagonists is Death, Creator of the Underworld. Except there's several of him, probably six or seven. Oh, and he's got 13 dread henchmen, one of whom was probably you at some point in time. Also, Hell has a personal grudge against you this time.

Magical Rome/Persia/China regularly trains and sends ninja-monks out for you personally. Ninjas specially trained in asskicking. And if that doesn't work, they keep giant color-coded gundams and suits of power armor as backups.

The Transformers have united under Unicron (who has robo-AIDS), and are invading because they have a shortage of souls.

The Jedi Council has corrupted Heaven and usurped your rightful place as the Masters of Everything - but nobody can remember them. The only reason they haven't hunted you down is that they're too busy trying to keep reality from imploding.

Your ex-wife dropped by; she's a two thousand year old shapechanging man-eating monster, interested in maybe going on a date next Thursday for dinner, followed by breeding a new race capable of rewriting the biosphere.

Your best friend from growing up -and your last life- now seeks to cover all the lands of Middle Earth in darkness, if he can just find this damn ring.

Your god has the world's biggest crack habit, and needs some serious rehab.

And yet, in theory, you think you can fix everything!

Welcome to Creation, kid! Hope you've got enough Essence!

Have Fun."

Anything else I should know?

Well, the game does originate from White Wolf. So, there's that. Means it uses the Storyteller system (so there are a lot of d10s involved). The book does apparently features some really mild sex stuff in the event that that bugs. Again. White Wolf. From what I've gathered thus far, it is a reasonably crunchy system. A less than DnD I'd say, but it definitely has crunch.

Okay. I'm interested. What do I need to do?

Posting here would be a good start.

Then read the rules, probably. But I can provide those for you.

If this happens, when are you planning on starting?

Not for a bit. Right now I just want to see if there are people interested. I'm personally still acquainting myself with the book and we've got this whole DLCon thing coming up.

So, couple weeks after DLCon, at least. No rush.

What if I know someone from some other part of the internet that might be interested?

Feel free to toss them at me. Just know if they suck I will be mad at you.

This idea is dumb, you are dumb, and you're wasting precious space on a dead forum.

Kinda.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2016, 01:09:40 AM by AndrewRogue »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: Feeling out interest for some RP
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2016, 05:51:49 AM »
This idea is dumb, you are dumb, and you're wasting precious space on a dead forum.

This.

Totally in.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 05:13:24 PM »
I could probably be convinced... Any idea which kind of Exalted? (ie Solar/Lunar/etc?)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 06:40:56 PM »
Solar. Sorry, shoulda specified it 3rd Ed only has the Solar book out currently.

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2016, 04:02:34 AM »
This Carthrat was at the kitchen table before you even decided to play.

I know the rules pretty well and have loved this game+wanted to play it since 1st edition. I would even be happy playing Mortals In Creation. Creation is a pretty awesome setting.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2016, 08:42:31 AM »
I have a few ideas.  Count me in.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2016, 12:35:54 AM »
Okay. So its looking like we've got enough folks, at the least, to make a run of this. So. Let's get started.

To try and check since, after thinking about it, I feel it will probably be desirable, what days and times might work for people if we did try to do occasional real time sessions (or even push for going full real time instead of any pbp)? If we can find a reasonable real time overlap, I think it would be a good thing to do! PBP does tend to move very slow and I'm admittedly a bit spastic and energetic (like I know at least one or two of you other folks are as well). Being able to do something (at the very least) like an official chat session every couple weeks might be good for making sure people stay involved and energetic. If it can't be done, it can't be done, but I don't think it'd hurt to try.

Personally, I could probably manage any day Tu-F starting at ~8pm Pacific time. I might also be able to do something on Sa/Su in the afternoon/evening, but I'm not quite able to commit to an exact time for that yet.

Okay, with that out of the way:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/7hynwyhkbk8d6bc/AADCJabTGPkqCHlw2y4uOxHFa?dl=0 <- Rules for 3E + Character Sheets can be found here. Book is organized a bit weird, so if you are entirely unfamiliar with Storyteller games, start with Chapter 5 to learn how the system works, then backtrack into character creation and all that jazz. If you are familiar with Exalted, make sure you check on the new stuff, because things like combat have apparently changed almost 100%. Also, please use the real Exalt sheets since we have them, they seem to work well, and they are generally easy to read.

Game is SOLAR EXALTS. That's what 3E currently covers, that's what'll be playable! You will be among the most powerful and influential entities in Creation and you will like it.

Game tone wise, I'm looking for generally heroici-sh shenanigans in the East, probably on the outer edges of the hundred kingdoms (if I'm understanding this + older maps , the eastern half of that big open area between Sijan/Great Forks/Chanta/Mahalanka: http://howsfamily.net/Exalted/map/). I'm thinking something vaguely Suikoden-ish, so expect to potentially be collecting land, allies, and resources while interacting with commoners, spirits, and the social elite alike, as well as punching villains/disagreeable gods in their stupid faces. Hell, you could even get involved in some real wars. So basically, expect both social/societal stuff and ass-kicking stuff. So yeah, to reiterate, think Suikoden.

As far as PCs go, all I really want out of you is a fairly fresh Solar that will have some interest in the above and you to come up with a reason why you're in a small town in a small nation that's poor, falling apart, and has shitty leadership, bandit problems, god problems, spirit problems, and all that in the Hundred Kingdoms (additional details TBD). Feel free to brainstorm publicly here with other players or hit me up in chat if you want to throw ideas at me/get more details. I'd also like to talk more directly about your Exaltations/possibly run through them as part of a solo session depending on how close they happen to game start. Hell, if some/all of you want your Exaltations to be like, events that immediately precede the game, that might be handy.

If you have questions that require more detail, poke me in chat or in PM and I will be happy to see if I can make up an answer.

So yeah. Let's let DLCon get wound down, figure out if we can make any sort of regular real time sessions work, see if there are any interested stragglers, start talking about characters, and we'll get a start date set.

Cool with everyone currently listed in the first post as interested?

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 01:06:03 AM »
What's that? Nation building while being anime as fuck because I am an inherently superior being meant to rule over others?

kay I'm in.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 01:29:52 AM »
I can occasionally be available during the week, but for the most part I'm working at 8pm PST. Friday is an exception- I can be available then with notice (since it's actually Saturday for me haaaaa)

Off the bat, I'm heavily inclined towards playing a traditional private entertainer who came from a decadent theocracy.

Tradition dictated that she perform the same tired old works and folk-tales over and over again to glorify the incumbent regime, her Exaltation may have come when she set out to challenge the orthodoxy via the production and performance of new stories that speak of the greed of kings rather than their supposed munificence.

Innovation leads to contemplation... contemplation leads to infuriation... infuriation leads to revolution!.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2016, 02:56:05 AM »
My availability shifts, but usually Sundays and Mondays are good, otherwise some days I can do 6pm PST and on, or 9:30pm PST.

As for character concept, I'm thinking I'd like to play an assassin. Still reading up and creating ideas, however.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2016, 03:00:34 AM »
Speaking of, regardless of anything else, we should still have a chatroom for this, eh?

#DLExalted

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2016, 02:58:04 AM »
Some character creation stuff. Having thought a bit, I would like to run you all through individual Exaltations.

As such, let's plan to start with mortal character sheets. If you really do not wish to, I can just talk it through with you, but I'd also like a bit of a run-up to make sure I've got a grip on the system. Your call!

Further, if you choose to come from the Hundred Kingdoms region (which you might want to - Creation is big and the closer to the area your backstory comes from, the less I will hate you!), please feel free to come at me with a kingdom concept. There's a lot of them in that region. I could use some pressure off me to create 'em.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 07:53:41 AM by AndrewRogue »

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2016, 02:12:16 AM »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2016, 07:54:55 AM »
who likes flowcharts?

Ivan!

CHARM flowcharts?

Me!

Thank god both you and Andy posted this. The Charms section is sort of a clusterfuck.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2016, 06:18:51 PM »
Speaking of Charm clusterfucks.

Miracles of the Solar (featuring a bunch of new charms currently not represented in those cascades) is now available in the linked folder, I believe. Because more Charms can't possibly make things worse, right?

Charm Cascades are currently being updated by the guy who did those, but he will probably take a few days to them. Check here for more: https://www.reddit.com/r/exalted/comments/4yby39/madletters_charm_cascades_version_3_including/
« Last Edit: August 18, 2016, 06:21:07 PM by AndrewRogue »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2016, 06:41:44 PM »
Speaking of crazy shit

http://i.imgur.com/5yFXqYt.png

I found this currency conversion chart poking around reddit.

Akeha no longer has resources 4, a measely 4-5 talents of silver now :(
« Last Edit: August 23, 2016, 05:56:26 AM by May »