Register

Author Topic: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1 - Closed)  (Read 12694 times)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
Re: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1)
« Reply #75 on: September 26, 2016, 05:28:34 AM »
Trying to mask his own emotions, if nothing else, he should have thought of not adding more of a burden on his friend, Khun refocuses on Akeha.

"Of course, two weeks of field rations will do as well as rice.  As for water, I'm good at talking with water spirits, finding a place to will my waterskin is never an issue."

Carthrat

• Max Level Arch Priestess
  • Denizen
  • I'm a goddess! I'm really a goddess!
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 26, 2016, 05:37:20 AM »
Inwardly relieved, Lee lowers her fan for a moment. "I will pray for your success," she insists. "If you do not return swiftly, I shall come looking for you! So you must, as I am a poor huntress and would easily get lost," she adds.
WHAT BENEFITS CAN ONE GET FROM SCIENTOLOGY?

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 26, 2016, 05:39:17 AM »
Akeha nods, glancing at Vol. "We'll make the arrangements within a couple hours," she agrees, standing. "Now, as I think we all have things to attend to... Lady Aaeiko, I would be more than happy to receive you at my residence this night, so we can talk at more length," she smiles and bows. "As well as anyone else here still available. For now, I suspect my guards are becoming a touch nervous, and Vol and I should see to supplies for our friend here."

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 26, 2016, 07:15:54 AM »
"Bits and pieces, Lady Hakuhi. My knowledge of High Realm is fairly fresh, but it still has not allowed me to pick up Suizasho dialect at a pace acceptable to me." he comments to Akeha's inquiry, content to stay at the outskirts of the conversation and observe. He notes with interest at Lee's brief befuddlement on the subject of their food stores.

As the topic of money and resources comes up, Vol does chime in again. "As Lady Aaeiko said, Rishi, that will not be necessary. Among the things we had begun marshaling were building materials. What I can offer here is, should they desire, the use of said materials on credit to be paid later, at a minimal fixed interest. I can assign Hana to the job, who can keep track of everything used. I can also add the labor of the workers assisting in that endeavor to the same credit line. I would ordinarily offer to subtract the labor if you did it yourselves, but it wouldn't do to have those workers have a grudge against you on the outset. Cooperation and mutual respect must be achieved, not petty divisions. Of course, we will ignore the taxes for any income you gain in tonight's... cultural meet and greet as well. So rest easy on that account. It should provide you with a good enough stake of local currency to begin with" he nods, the business formalities completed.

He stands with Akeha, offering a polite and respectful bow to Lee. "Allow me to offer my personal welcome to Inaba, Lady Aaeiko. I look forward to speaking more with you at dinner tonight."

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: The Town of Inaba (Episode 1 - Scene 2)
« Reply #79 on: September 26, 2016, 07:18:40 AM »
((OOC: Zhun, go ahead and craft away. You can still find the goods locally. 2 Successes is the goal and will give you a minimum 7 days worth of doses. I believe you should actually also have several doses from your previous adventure available.

Success is a decent tasting drink that gives you +1 Dice vs all Wyld related rolls and 3 Silver XP.))

Akeha/Lee/Vol

As the sun begins to set, rather than beginning to retire, the city comes alive this night.

Of course, that is a bit unusual. Often the town tends to settle as the shroud of night overtakes it, but today has been an unusual day for Inaba, with people rather than goods flooding the dock. And not just any people: performers who promised to share their art with the people. Thus it is that as the lanterns light, so do grills for fish and fires for pots of noodles. Tonight, in the crisp autumn air, the people will celebrate.

Having completed his duties to his mother and his people, Tora is enjoying the opportunity to eat, drink, and be merry, having found a seat alongside a slight redhead who laughs and chatters away as they both sample some of the catch of the day.

Even the guards seems to have relaxed... a little, at least. While main eat, drink, and be merry, there are still some who stand alert at the fringes of the celebration, swords at their side.

Already some small warms up have begun, performers testing instruments and limbs that have too long (more than five minutes) gone unused. The atmosphere is pleasant, warm, and welcoming.

Zhun/Rishi

((OOC: Assuming you wanted to set out this eve... If not, let me know and we can excise this.))

At around the the party is beginning in Inaba, your cloud will put you over the small port town mentioned by Akeha: Sansi. The town itself sits on the opposite side of the bank, near where the San River spills into the Yellow River.

Much like Inaba, the citizenry is beginning to pack up for the night, but unlike the people of Inaba they are actually looking to chill out for the evening. Drink in the bar, sleep, etc. This would have been the first stop of the five warriors from the White Fire Company, so presuming they didn't drown in the river, you should be able to get news of them here.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016, 01:06:52 AM by AndrewRogue »

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 26, 2016, 07:55:26 AM »
Akeha approaches Lee as things seem to settle into place, leaving oversight of her guards to Aiko for the evening. Lightly touching the other woman's shoulder, she glances about, "I don't know how much you feel the need to supervise, but I have things prepared whenever you feel ready." She glances at Tora and his companion curiously, "Will your son be joining us? I had assumed he and Vol would be..."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 26, 2016, 09:20:31 AM »
Lee turns from studying a bonfire that her followers had set up near the center of the gathering. A length of rope had been scrounged up from somewhere and lain around it in a wide circle, in preparation for one of their more flamboyant acts that never fails to build excitement among her hosts. With her back to the firelight, her hair glitters around her whilst her face is cast in shadow. Her light clothes from before have been exchanged for a golden robe more befitting a hierophant giving a sermon than a fun-loving dancer of the river.

"Of course! We would be honored," she replies, delighted by the proposition. "Tora, darling!" she calls, easily projecting her voice across the grounds and interrupting whatever nonsense he was planning to get up to.

"And Vol as well? He must be much more than a mere assistant to you," she muses, with a teasing smirk.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 26, 2016, 01:40:51 PM »
Akeha's eyebrows shoot up at the smirking speculation, and she shakes her head, trying to realign her brain with reality after Lee's silly side trip. "Though he chose not to display it, he is far more deeply involved in our shared situation than let on. Though he persists in a role as my political and administrative advisor, please consider him as one of us."

Akeha for her part is dressed in a blue silk robe, heavily embroidered with white and silver vines and stalking cranes. Her obi is at least twice as wide now, striking crimson and wrapped with a curious black cord. The obi is tied in a complex knot at her back, and the cord at her front. Her dagger protrudes from it, but her sword is nowhere to be found, the obi clearly too large for it. Her sleeves are wrapped around her arms, and if they were unrolled might have reached the ground.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 26, 2016, 01:44:20 PM »
"As you say."

Lee folds her hands together. "I've been this way for only a few short months. Exactly as long as our voyage, really. How about yourself?"

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 26, 2016, 01:49:56 PM »
"A little over three months, since fighting off another clan to the north," Akeha smiles a bit, the expression nervous and even shy at opening up like this. "I was almost immediately sent here to prevent a political crisis."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 26, 2016, 01:54:21 PM »
"You mentioned that you might be forced to kill yourself," Lee says, sounding sad. "It must have been a grim time for you, whereas it was a moment of joy for me. I'm sorry you went through such trouble."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 26, 2016, 02:00:50 PM »
"Forced?" Akeha blinks. "No, I asked," she admits quietly. "I was terrified I would bring ruin to my family. Lord Tetsuzuru's eldest child a Forsaken?" Akeha shudders from head to toe at the memory of her uncontrolled emotions. "I wanted to be rid of myself, but such cannot be done without approval. And my father would not consider it, instead commanding me out here to give us time and space to manage the difficulty."

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 26, 2016, 02:02:27 PM »
Lee blinks. "Your father must love you very much," she tells Akeha. "It would have taken courage to look beyond the stigma. The thought of a man with such resolve fills me with hope."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 26, 2016, 03:44:10 PM »
Akeha smiles shyly. "And as a Dragon-Blooded himself, no less," she agrees, shaking her head. "I think that is my greatest regret... so much rests on if a child's Dragon-Blood runs true, and now we will never know for me, chosen by the Unconquered Sun."

She shakes off the rumination. "We shall yet see what develops... for now, Inaba is my duty, and I will make it the best place I can."

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 26, 2016, 07:11:05 PM »
As they fly above the ground on a cloud, Rishi barely manages to stay composed about the fact that they are flying above the ground on a cloud. As they get within sight of the city, however, Rishi manages to speak up. "I see it, in the distance. We should be there soon. Do we want to land outside the city and walk in, or arrive on a.... err... cloud?"

He waits for the response, then nods. "I'm Rishi, btw. I'm, well, not really used to introducing myself. Sorry it took so long."

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 26, 2016, 09:13:56 PM »
Vol/Akeha/Lee

Tora bows his head to the young woman and excuses himself, hurrying to join. He bows politely. "Mother. Tetsuzuru... san," he says, stumbling over the unfamiliar mode of address. "Your town is a wonder, replete with delicacies that rival those of every other township we have visited along the Yellow River. The people are kind and appreciative of the arts. On behalf of everyone, I wish to thank you for the generosity you have shown and hope that we may live up to the expectations that we have set."

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 26, 2016, 09:52:41 PM »
"Please, Lady Hakuhi is perfectly fine, particularly as we don't seem to be very far apart in age," Akeha nods, bowing in turn to Tora. She blinks at the effusion of praise, caught off guard a moment and smiling, trying to restrain the impulsive expression. "You are certainly adept at flattery for a small trading port of a kingdom that barely wishes to trade," she laughs warmly. "But I certainly do hope we can meet each other's desires with that same warmth and honesty," she nods.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 27, 2016, 01:20:06 AM »
Lee/Akeha/Vol

"Small or large, mounted on gold or lost in the earth, a diamond remains a diamond, Lady Hakuhi." That form of address is much more comfortable, as demonstrated by a little quirk in the smile that hints at a little wryness to the gesture. Inclining his head politely, he turns to Lee. "How may I assist, mother?"

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 27, 2016, 01:24:39 AM »
"Lady Hakuhi has invited us to dinner, and we could not possibly refuse our noble host," replies Lee, with the lightest of stresses that only a beleaguered son could understand.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 27, 2016, 01:33:53 AM »
"Of course." He smiles brightly, youthful charm bright on his face as he turns toward Akeha and bows deeper. "It is my distinct honor for my most unworthy self to be welcomed to your table alongside my most esteemed mother, Lady Hakuhi."

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 27, 2016, 02:29:00 AM »
Before leaving, Khun spends his afternoon first roaming the town markets, collecting a small supply of cheap herbs and plants as well as conversing with the locals in their native tongue, his intent as much to practise his verbal skills as to gain what he needs.  Then he retreats to the boat, where he secludes himself inside a cabin for a half hour.

There he lays out the tools of the alchemist, the mortar and pestle, the intense candles for small, but potent, flame, and the small pot to hold the mixture.  As always, his slow prepartions almost as much of the ritual of the crafting as the crafting itself, this potion as much an act of meditation as of brewing, for the Elixir of Soul Perfection can only be made by one who knows themselves and can craft with the calmness of a pool of still water.  Even now, he can still remember, still feel, the tense barely contained jubilation of the first time he knew he was going to be successful, of the joy when he drank the potion, and summoned his cirrus skiff for the first time.  But now, he needed to look further.  He had changed, he was no longer the person he was when he last crafted this elixir.  And so, with the initial preparations finished, every tool an component in its place, he began the true depth of the ritual, and began delving into himself.

His hands moved of their own accord, reaching out, grinding the herbs, but now he chanted, low, thrumming words, he could hear it, the formula he used as recited in an archaic version of the oldtongue, one best used as quasi-musical chanting.  He could feel the powers of creation moving through him, feel the hint of warmth in his brow as the powers of the anathema flowed through him.

Hah, it doesn't matter what I say, in my thoughts it's the gift of the Anathema.  There's still a part of me, that wants to go back.  This must be studied, and how can I do it?  How can I know that whatever it is I've taken into me hasn't corrupted my thoughts, isn't bending me to its will.  After all, it's said no anathema sees anything wrong with its behaviour, no matter what it's doing.  The Circle could be objective, unbiased.

And I could be chained there until they've satisfied their scholarly curiosity.  Which will be never.  No.  That would never do.

I can feel whatever this is, it isn't entirely passive.  And it does have feelings, an agenda.  It doesn't want me to be studied forever and a day either.  Is it directing my thoughts?  No, my memories, even my writings from before, all tell me that I want to go out and provide knowledge by finding it or learning it, or working it out on my own, not by having it dug out of me.  But this thing, this essence, it doesn't seem to have a reason for why it feels, it just needs to go out and do something.  It seems a power that needs to change things, but it does not seem to care what that change is beyond that.  Could it truly be so helpful and benign as to rest all its power behind my will with such a simple commandment as that?

His actions continue onwards, worked herbs and plants added to the heated water almost by instinct, his fingers and voice managing to help mix and separate the potion as needed, in ways he never could before, his twilight mark lighting the room.  Indeed, he stokes the candles with his breath, but now they respond as they never have before, reacting almost as if they were mere extensions of his will.

Yes, three fingers of the silkweed, and...  did I just chant a finger of nutmeg?  But...  yes, yes, nutmeg for need, and I have more need than I did before, and the Jace's Lily for action.  Yes, it is changing, it is now what is, what must be!  This certainty, this knowledge.  Let us see how well my hands are guided in this endeavour!

1,0Snackoo_Detective_Excal rolled :1,0 11#d10 1,0plus willpower autosuccess --> 1,0[ 1d10=4 ]1,0{4}, 1,0[ 1d10=2 ]1,0{2}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}, 1,0[ 1d10=1 ]1,0{1}, 1,0[ 1d10=7 ]1,0{7}, 1,0[ 1d10=3 ]1,0{3}, 1,0[ 1d10=5 ]1,0{5}, 1,0[ 1d10=9 ]1,0{9}, 1,0[ 1d10=7 ]1,0{7}, 1,0[ 1d10=10 ]1,0{10}

As the potion finishes brewing, in only minutes instead of the hours normally needed, he places it into three simple, if largish flasks.  The room now well lit by his anima banner.  Never before had it felt like that, and he knew, knew with utter certainty that he had succeeded.  Done, he ends the ritual by cleaning up his ingredients and tools, before going to take a quick rest before it is time to leave.

-----------------

Hours later, upon the cloud.

He looked down at the port town.  He recalled when he had stopped there last, and supposed that he could now check up to ensure that rower who had managed to break his arm had managed not to infect it.  Perhaps also he could manage to hear some news, either from the peasants, or from the spirits.

"Good to know your name, operative.  We'll land in the town, most of these port towns know that a man arriving by cloud is me, or one of the other initiates of the Jin Tor.  Came by here myself on the way in, so they'll be friendly."

Suiting actions to words, he aims the cirrus skiff to bring them down near the entrance to the main inn.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 27, 2016, 04:27:09 AM »
Khun/Rishi

((OOC: Have Stunt 2 Credit on that, so get the Willpower back.))

As promised, the people are surprisingly unsurprised by a flying cloud setting down in their midst, and the few passing by greet Khun warmly.

The inn itself is crowded, bursting with men and women eager to unwind from a long day of work.

May

• Eris's Padding
  • Denizen
  • Lalatina~
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 27, 2016, 05:13:34 AM »
Akeha's smile remains stubbornly in place, seemingly in spite of herself at Tora's persistence. "Then please, follow me."

She leads them into a small manor house, heavily guarded by her samurai at the entrance and within. They meet Vol just outside the dining room, which is largely bare aside from the tatami flooring and a half-dozen paper lanterns. In the midst of it all is a low table, and as they are seated a foursome of lacquer trays with steaming bowls and dishes are brought to each of them. Although the patterns are not especially complex, by the standards of trade on the river both the lacquerware and china are quite expensive, and Akeha settles to sit on one of several cushions. "I'm afraid our selection of alcohol is somewhat limited... Suizasho lives almost entirely on rice wine and plum wine, though I have been trying to broaden my horizons. We have some foreign wine and beer if you prefer, but I can't speak to its standards for worldly tastes," she admits.

Carthrat

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 27, 2016, 05:45:57 AM »
"It would be a treat to sample your local beverages," replies Lee, seating herself in such a way that Tora will be forced to sit directly across from Akeha. "Plum wine, you say? We've never tried that; out west it is usually made from grapes," she explains.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 27, 2016, 06:58:26 AM »
Vol seems not to have been waiting long, and a retreating staffer seems to indicate that he was recently fetched from wherever he was upon notification that Akeha and her guests had arrived. He wears a much more formal robe of green silk with a simple wave pattern design throughout. It seems to be much newer than the everyday clothes he wore this afternoon, as well as a much more noticeably local make and design.

He smiles diplomatically as they approach, greeting them appropriately and sitting as the arrangements noticeably fix themselves based on Lee's design. The corners of his mouth twitch with amusement, but he seems comfortable with the surroundings all told.

"Limited but just as universally effective. The rice wine is particularly of note there, though the plum wine is quite sweet and tasty." Vol explains to their guests to assist in their drink orders. He himself takes the rice wine, which arrives in a curious wooden cube.