Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183454 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #750 on: March 26, 2014, 06:42:07 PM »
Dark Souls 2: More wandering because Smelter Demon is too much for me. Seriously, fuck that guy.

Ended up going to the shaded ruins and fighting the Scorpioness. Not too bad a fight. Then I fought some Magus and his Congregation, which was odd. Then I met Freja.

ffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffffml.

Went roaming a little more and got... summoned as a grey phantom in Pharros' Door? What? The hell?

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #751 on: March 26, 2014, 07:39:29 PM »
Little trick with Freja: You can usually run behind her when she's firing the laser safely, and it's easy to bait her into firing it.  I summoned the NPC to deal with the spiders, but Freja kills them sometimes too.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: March 26, 2014, 07:54:24 PM »
Went roaming a little more and got... summoned as a grey phantom in Pharros' Door? What? The hell?
It's part of a new covenant where you get summoned into someones world and they can try to kill you. There are typically traps they can activate using Pharros Lockstones (you should ignore most of the Lockstones in that area. They only have enemies or traps mostly) and the enemies will be hostile towards you. If you die though as a phantom you don't lose anything so it's just an inconvenience really. It only triggers there and one other area.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: March 26, 2014, 07:57:30 PM »
Ah. Okay. I was deeply confused when that happened.

And yeah, Freja's laser is easy to dodge. I just hate spiders and I hate lasers. I'm more annoyed that the bonfire I have seems a long ways off.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: March 26, 2014, 08:23:53 PM »
Fudo: Wait you have 15 Int and 24 Faith with a dual cestus + Ultrasword build??
I suggest getting more HP

Dude: Yeah. Hex's not that crazy (inferior to sorcery in PvE in Dark Souls 1 I'd say) but still much better I feel. Right now my base damage is 408 with Dark Orb (Hex's faster more accurate Soul Arrow with slightly less charges) and a Sunset Staff +3

Gref: I also summoned a giant man-scorpion against a giant woman-scorpion boss
Edit: Scorpion related domestic violence that you solve by killing the woman. Real progressive there, Dark Souls 2
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 08:35:18 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #755 on: March 26, 2014, 09:14:03 PM »
The plus side of getting grabbed by Ratbros is that killing them nets you Pharros Lockstones.

Lead-up to aesir spider is probably the longest bonfire-free run in the game. I think only Lost Sinner can compete there (both of the closest bonfires place you within immediate aggro range of enemy mobs, in one case 'splosion zombies, so fuck that noise).

Overall, didn't like the game as much as Dark Souls 1.  Shitty mandatory areas, quantity > quality bosses, and nonexistant lore and interesting NPCs.  The cat has one sexy voice though.  PvP is probably better, but I'm not interested in that.  Outside of rat hell and bell towers,  I got invaded a grand total of 3 times.  One guy did nothing but throw toxic mist at me and broke all my gear.  Thanks.

Bosses granted. I'm pretty okay with the areas, though. Forest was a pretty dull intro zone but they got better after that. They generally don't have the kind of fine detail that made me want to stop and look at everything in DS1, but I at least find the environments satisfactorily diverse and from a level design perspective there's more meat to them on average than their DS1 counterparts (a lot of which could be run through in thirty seconds if you were confident in dodging enemies; whether DS2's lack of invincibility while walking through fog walls is boon or bane is I suppose debatable). I actually didn't even mind Blighttown mk. 2 (or Valley of Defiled mk. 3 I suppose). Torch hopscotch was good use of a game mechanic otherwise almost wholly optional and superfluous.

What really disappoints me aesthetically is equipment. DS1 had a plethora of fantastic-looking gear. And not in the common fantasy game manner of let's just make all this shit glowy because glowy equals magic, but actually nicely designed and stylishly unique stuff that just seeing it makes me want to go out and find it. Where is the DS2 equivalent of instantly memorable onion knight armor? There is none. Most DS2 gear in comparison looks extremely utilitarian in more of a Demon's Souls way. Not that DS1 didn't have plenty of functional, realistic armor too, but there's really nothing so eye-catching here as say Dusk's/Beatrice's/Lautrec's/Darkmoon Knight's/Gwyndolin's outfits (just tossing some personal favorites, there's lots of other visually outstanding sets). The best of DS2 in my eyes tend to be holdovers (Velka/Xanthous)/show up way late in the game/require ultra-rare upgrade materials so impractical to bother wearing them. Fun game, DS2, but it just misses the style train in a lot of little ways. The set I want the most sadly is Emerald Herald's (uber-impractical unless you're done leveling bro).

So Drangleic not as welcoming a place for the fashion-conscious as Lordran was, very sad.

Definitely agreed on NPCs. Not that Souls NPCs are ever about deep character development or anything, but they're generally good at finding a proper VA to inject at least a little personality into them. There's really no standout so immediately, appealingly quirky as Solaire or Siegmeier here, though.

Oh, the NPC you can use for the poizn lady fight in the windmill is pretty cool. He's a jester who's dual wielding pyro hands.

Squire Jester Thomas is the Iron Tarkus of DS2. Most DS2 summons deal piddly damage and exist to die distracting the boss away from you. By contrast, Thomas can and will solo the boss he's available for.

Not much progress to report personally, presently just Bell covenant grinding to upgrade equipment (I get the feeling this constitutes the midgame of any DS2 run). I still don't understand the geography of the Earthen Peak -> Iron Keep transition. You climb a tower in the middle of nowhere, from the top take an elevator up, rise up through a sea of lava. ???

Got invaded and killed in my own world for the first time. Huh, I thought that couldn't happen while you were human in DS2? Now I wonder where I got that idea from. Only notably annoyed because humanity basically being a finite resource in this game* (Fudo your luck with drops continues to baffle me). Anyway it was nice the first couple weeks playing the game before anybody was into the red phantom covenant yet.

(*Rumor reaches me that praying at the creepy altar in Shrine of Amana while hollow and with zero effigies in stock makes you human. I cannot confirm this and plan not to ever be in a position to do so. I was personally inclined to try going in there with Ring of the Dead on because you get it from a singing girl, singing girl is at the altar, singing girls trained by Great Dead One I.E. Nito. Maybe try that later I guess.)
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 09:19:35 PM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: March 26, 2014, 10:51:18 PM »
Oh yeah, also beat the Executioner's Chariot.  Neat enough gimmick boss I guess.  Guy outside the door could fat roll between Caestus swings and had actual poise for an NPC-type enemy.

@Fenrir: 20INT, 26FAITH.  8 VIG AWWWWWW YEAH.  BKUG I only plan on using on Royal Aegis and random dicking around.  Until I meet another boss with a giant gap between his legs whoo hoo.

@Cid: Best guess about Earthen Peak > Iron Keep I can hazard, is Iron Keep sat in a volcano which the environment supports at least.  When it sank it didn't sink all the way or something.  This doesn't explain why the elevator itself still works but whatever.  Efigy drops are a combination of never using them because of Ring of Life Protection and always wearing Item Find gear going through areas.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #757 on: March 26, 2014, 11:09:13 PM »
Thomas didn't really seem that good in my game. Maybe he just got stunlocked.
El Cid You need to watch the shadow of a sunset staff being made by a bonfire. And have you heard about the (ok, NG+ only) Moon butterfly set??
And yeah, Ring of Life protection -> Costs 3000 health to be repaired -> You never have to be hollow again from midgame on

I liked the cat, invasion covenant dude, and hex dude. Pate is also at its best in this one. Blacksmith's daughter and her sexual innuendo. Licia. Ladder dude and his infinite ladders. The three old ladies that mock you at the beginning. I dunno, I like the cast.

I actually find the Valley of Defilement v3 extremely tame. It sounds horrible on paper (Vertical + Bottomless pits + Darkness + Poison everywhere) but the enemies aren't dangerous, the statues can be broken, and lightning all these torches feels nice. There's no oppression. The most disappointing part of the game for me.

Fudo: ... That explains a lot.
Man, get that to 20, at least!! SURRENDER. You get so much health by doing this!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: March 26, 2014, 11:35:15 PM »
Bravely Default, C2: I have slain a young girl furry.  Achievement unlocked?

Norende nearly complete.  Also while I vowed not to buy equipment from it except in case of emergency, I notice now that the special move parts are just free despite being in a "shop."  So...  +50% damage + other buffs on all my special moves?  I guess I might as well add it.

Anyway, clock tower was not TOO bad despite initially being scared by the Brave->buff->Strong Strike for 1300 damage randoms (to PC ~800 max HP).  Relentless offense can take 'em out, and Strong Strike misses half the time, so.  Also the bosses were surprisingly scrubby; Khrim was okay but Khamer support was worse than Jackal or Profiteur.  I kind of question the evil plot here, too.  Mission: Destabilize own kingdom, drive people to desperation, get overthrown in revolution blame religion?  Florem has the better idea about how to stamp it out.

Oh, and Florem.  Ladies.  It's a brutal competition to attract the menfolk, I get it, but I have a cunning suggestion: move somewhere else where there are more fish in the sea?  I guess the hair dye has gotten to their heads.  Also we get the mission for sexy Agnes dress-up mark 2, sigh.  Luckily the sidequests are more amusing. 

Difficulty remains pleasantly high, for the most part at least.  Night formations with Poison Moth + 3 Alarunes are insanely badass, especially if they get first strike - Poison Moth is very fast and has a MT 3HKO + Poison, Alarunes have weird erratic damage but it's anywhere from a 4HKO to a 2HKO.  Let the other side - especially the Moth - get a 2nd round and your team is taking a dirt nap; have "enemies get first strike" and eat wipe.  Like I did after switching Time Mage off [no Time Slip] and when I was 3 steps or so from returning to Florem.  GRAGHHHH, all that wandering around and "we have no cause to be here" lost.  Save moar I suppose.

Also, while JP gains spiking makes switching classes theoretically tempting, JL clearly has a pretty huge invisible stat modifiers.  JL3 Time Mage Ringabel did ~120 damage with black magic while JL7 White Mage Agnes did ~200 damage.  No Black Resonance in play here, and Ringabel actually had higher MAttack, so clearly it's just Job Level.  So...  not getting too crazy with the job switching.  Party is basically Edea = Spell Fencer / Knight, Tiz = Thief [sometimes Monk and before I remember that Monk is bad] + Miscellany for Examine, Agnes = White Mage, Ringabel = Black Mage / Time Mage / [Merchant, except it is bad].  I agree with earlier Spell Fencer hype; how do you make Mystic Knight type classes relevant?  A) Nearly every enemy sports an elemental weakness, and bosses that don't get Withering Ripple'd.  B) Quad-acting.  Okay then, this rules.

Went for Mephilia first and got absolutely *rolled*: she has an MT OHKO (more ~1000 damage to ~850 PCHP and me having not upgraded my armor yet), an ST 2HKO (~500 damage or so off staff thwacks), and summons Bloodrose Legion types who nearly sport ST OHKOs themselves.  Default spam only goes so far, I got crushed.  Tried Artemia next, and rolled *her*.  Not sure I ever saw the Brave -> 2x Multiburst that Pyro mentioned in his stat topic, and she dies extremely fast anyway thanks to sporting an elemental weakness and not really putting enough pressure on the party.  I didn't even have L3 Black/SpellFencer access and she still got smashed.  Kinda weird that Pyro hypes Artemia > Mephilia in the DL, since it didn't feel true in-game!  Anyway, Artemia's character design + height + the fact that the American localization added three to most character's age in years (quite reasonably!) makes me suspect I just put down a berserk 14-year old.  Too late for a crisis of conscience, I suppose. 

Also Knight Stomp with a Bow equipped has a funny animation.

Anyway, good times so far.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: March 26, 2014, 11:52:48 PM »
-Job Level definitely has a definite effect on damage (although it's calculated after defence I'm nearly certain; may even be adding "hits" in the FF1-5 mechanics sense).
-Despite this, the game does a pretty good job of encouraging job switching, unlike FF3DS. Not so much where you are, but in Chapter 3, JP gains rise pretty notably and allow you to level other classes quickly, but there's a -huge- JP requirement spike from JL 9 to JL 10, so the game will encourage you to get multiple jobs to 7-9 or so to plunder their skills rather than just sitting in one class, since it takes about twice as much JP to go from 9 to 10 as it did from 1 to 9.
-I had the same experience as you regarding Artemia and Mephilia (the latter still registers as the best asterisk-holder in the game to me). The DL's a weird beast though. I have more thoughts on the subject but they should probably be saved for a stat topic.
-It's not like 14-year olds are any shorter than adults on average so Artemia is just a midget. (and/or character designers have no grasp of female human growth patterns, take your pick).
-If you think Stomp looks silly with a bow, wait until you see Crescent Moon~

Anyway, for my end, just beat the earth crystal boss of C4. Time to go to the final dungeon! I wonder how much I would have bought this line if I didn't know there were more chapters. Probably not too much, there are too many reasons to be suspicious at this point plotwise + the game is clearly poised to allow another JP spike so that it becomes more practical to gain late job levels.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: March 27, 2014, 12:50:28 AM »
Dark Souls 2 NG+ Antics:

Right away you fight guys with birds on their shoulders.  The bird doesn't do anything but it looks like the guy is using the bird as a shield.

Red NPC phantoms are everywhere.  Heide's Tower has roughly double the giant soldiers.

Invasions are a lot more common.  Already had two red and one blue phantom at the forest of giants.  Havel's Armor and Shield with pyromancy is the new giant dad.  Get used to it.

Ally NPC are still pretty worthless but somehow have crazy high defense and HP.  I'm pretty sure Pate could solo the last giant if I supported him with one heal.

Lost Sinner goes from a pretty good boss to absolutely the worst fight in the game.  At half HP, it summons two pyros that constantly throw fireballs at you.  Again taking a quality boss and adding more enemies doesn't make it fun.

I somehow found the giant manscorpion that Fenrir was talking about.  I thought he was an enemy so I threw the sun at him.  Took it like a champ.  How do you talk to his guy.

Traded my many petrified somethings and got a bunch of junk and an Old Whip.  Turns out it's the best dex weapon in the game.  Base stats are insane.  Low durability but here repair powder is infinite and souls are not in short supply.

Steel chest do respawn, unlike using a bonfire aestic.  Get multiple copies of Soul Geyser and (great) Resonance Soul.

Cap is 12 Estus Flasks at +5.  I guess too much healing is a bad thing? I'm sitting on max lifegems and 40 radiant gems.

Invading at Bellfry Sol/Luna as a red phantom is great.  You got the host, bellbros, sunbros, red phantoms all trying to kill each other.  Attacking bellbros as a red phantom is counterproductive but it counts towards kills in the covenant.  I've been trying to invade ratbros but they seems to summon you faster than you can open the menu and select cracked red eye orb.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: March 27, 2014, 01:09:30 AM »
Job levels for physical classes definately adds hits in the FF1-4 sense. It's also particially dependent on which specific job you're in, I believe, with classes like Ninja, Ranger, Thief getting more hits out of increased jlvls.

Job levels for magic are apparantly straight up damage increases, though.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:21:58 AM by hinode »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: March 27, 2014, 01:23:56 AM »
Get the "You can hear monster grunts now, enjoy" ring from the cat

Remember that Giantdad was the new Full Havel. So it goes Full Havel -> Giantdad -> Full Havel
THE ENDLESS CYCLE CONTINUES

Edit: There's already a Dark Souls 2 speedrun in less than two hours
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUoxeAqjq70
You need to watch the fights against Dragondude at 4 minutes and Pursuer at 12
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:01:28 AM by Fenrir »

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: March 27, 2014, 03:12:01 AM »
Not full havel, just the armor and greatshield.  Head is probably something that gives you +1 casting or Hexer hood, gloves and feet are cast enhancing gear.

There's no reason not to use Havel's shield if you have the strength.  It has solid resists against everything.  I can't poison anybody behind it.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: March 27, 2014, 03:30:47 AM »
Estus being capped at 12 is such a random number.  There's more shards than that in a playthrough.

Dark Souls 2: OH WAIT!  THE PS3 BROKE A-FUCKING-GAIN!  IT WAS LITERALLY IN THE SHOP LONGER THAN THE TIME I GOT TO PLAY IT FAJSVSSA(VFSAFJVSAIPV*F

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #765 on: March 27, 2014, 03:31:55 AM »
A hundred million deaths were not enough for Fudo. :(

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 27, 2014, 03:53:03 AM »
Quote from: El Cid
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 27, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »
Quote from: SnowFire
Went for Mephilia first and got absolutely *rolled*: she has an MT OHKO (more ~1000 damage to ~850 PCHP and me having not upgraded my armor yet), an ST 2HKO (~500 damage or so off staff thwacks), and summons Bloodrose Legion types who nearly sport ST OHKOs themselves.  Default spam only goes so far, I got crushed.  Tried Artemia next, and rolled *her*.  Not sure I ever saw the Brave -> 2x Multiburst that Pyro mentioned in his stat topic, and she dies extremely fast anyway thanks to sporting an elemental weakness and not really putting enough pressure on the party.  I didn't even have L3 Black/SpellFencer access and she still got smashed.  Kinda weird that Pyro hypes Artemia > Mephilia in the DL, since it didn't feel true in-game!  Anyway, Artemia's character design + height + the fact that the American localization added three to most character's age in years (quite reasonably!) makes me suspect I just put down a berserk 14-year old.  Too late for a crisis of conscience, I suppose. 

Well, in-DL =/= in-game. Artemia is definitely far easier than Mephilia in-game (you know her Multiburst string? It -unfocuses- in-game. This alone makes it so much simpler). Also, Mephilia benefits from Hard more than Artemia because her support summoning is the big factor in the fight - those soldiers are NASTY.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 27, 2014, 08:13:39 PM »
Helping show a good illustration for my anti-hyping of boss full focusing in the DL!
...into the nightfall.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 27, 2014, 10:25:21 PM »
FFD: Almost done with chapter 4, I think. I got a legitimate shock when the two parties joined up - juggling eight party members with five available slots is a whole ton of customization dropped on you at once. Luckily I didn't build up the two teams that similarly. I do have two dedicated spellcasters, which is one more than I'll ever need.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: March 27, 2014, 11:07:23 PM »
I would rec 2 casters actually.  Some of the later bosses are pretty easy to blitz down but there is definitely some that are resistant to it.  Having access to that OP as fuck FF healing is really worth it.

For what it is worth Magus and whatever the whitemage variant is give you easy access to the White and Black Magic skillsets on a fighter, so it is super easy to make someone pinch hit in those skills without developing in them previously.  The high level skills you get for WM/BM are both pretty solid so time spent there wasn't a waste either.  It is pretty neat balancing bit really.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
Artemia's attack is 4 random attacks, much like Meteor. More deadly than BM/TM/RM magics that unfocus.

Mephillia's support is a big deal in her fight. Other than that it seems folks go after Mephillia first in a fair number of cases, which modifies stats (because of Mephillia's own dungeon). This is a pity as you miss some lines from Mephillia that ... uh.... yeah.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #772 on: March 27, 2014, 11:34:39 PM »
The scene changes based on the order you do them in? Should have rewatched the scenes in my Mephilia (get owned) -> Artemia -> Mephilia sequnce of doing things, clearly.

Bravely Default - Chapter 5. Iiiinteresting. Also hahaha if you guys think Artemia and/or Qada are obnoxious in the DL, wait until you see the last C4 boss~ (Unlike them s/he's actually a pretty decent fight so I can't complain as much, but yeesh.)

For the Snows, I did beat one of the bosses on the vampire sidequest. Fun enough, but when I realised the second one I fought was going to be the same thing except forcing me to equip a statusblocker and with a less exploitable weakness I decided to move on with the game instead. Those fights can wait until 135k is less impressive.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #773 on: March 27, 2014, 11:51:49 PM »
Oh, yeah, that boss is also nuts.  Just spams Minus Strike way less than Qada does Dark Breath (I think it's restricted to under 50% hp) so less obvious about it.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #774 on: March 28, 2014, 01:11:11 AM »
The removal of the recharge time on it makes it more dangerous. I actually game-overed to it because I got greedy, went negative on BP on a person or two, and then got lapped by the boss and.... yeah.