Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182796 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #3025 on: December 30, 2014, 10:48:58 PM »
YOU DEFEATED?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3026 on: December 31, 2014, 02:27:48 AM »
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Finished Delta Episode! 

My thoughts are pretty much the same as I said before.  It's Hoenn with a Gen 6 paint job, so it's good stuff.  Delta Episode was neat in that it was an actual extension of the Hoenn story rather than it's own self contained thing.  Makes sense, since without his own game, Rayquaza being sort of deleted from the whole "Kyogre and Groudon don't like each other >:(" plot is wrong, so they found a way to keep his integration he has in Emerald, but do something unique with it.  On top of that, the story is DIFFERENT for Pokemon standards.  Rather than "Evil Organization, stop them! Then Collect badges!", there's now a completely different kind of threat, and some mysterious chick running around who seems to know something related to it.  Add in some cool original themes and a Final Boss fight with an unexpected opponent (Deoxys, for those wondering.  Also the first time they took a promotional and put it into the main game without any sort of external requirements is something unprecedented.  I'm hoping they do this more, at very least for Darkrai, Genesect and Keldeo, 3 Pokemon I feel shouldn't be promotionals, but instead just have special side quests dedicated to them)...well, ok, he was expected since Gamefreak kind of SPILLED THE BEANS before the game came out, but shh!

The only other time Pokemon really extended it's plot was in Black/White 2, which is where the end of N's character arc doesn't happen until the after game, but even that's more just one character rather than the plot coming to a close.  Delta Episode wasn't WOMG AMAZING writing, but it was something actually DIFFERENT for Pokemon, a franchise people say is stagnant.  It's kind of like why the BW1 plot was such a big deal; no it wasn't shakespearian writing, but it definitely had different theme and tone than other games.  XY did go back to basics, but then a large part of XY did feel like it was attempting to marriage the classic stuff with the new things hence all the Gen 1 Fanservice and such.

Here in lies the question: WHAT THE HELL ARE THEY GOING TO DO WITH Z VERSION TO KEEP THINGS FRESH!?

Personally, I think they should do a prequel because Pokemon hasn't done that yet!  It's not like Pokemon has such tight continuity and detailed backstory that it'd be hard to avoid retconning after all <_<

EDIT: Just remembered that technically, RSE were prequels to the Gen 2 games, but really this feels more like a Gaiden to the Kanto games than anything else, as the events in Hoenn have nothing to do with Kanto/Johto.   The only thing keeping them prequels was the whole "we have contacted another region!" thing Emerald and FRLG did...and honestly, ORAS sort of retconned THAT so I should shut up about this before I hurt myself.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2014, 02:29:42 AM by Meeplelard »
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #3027 on: December 31, 2014, 02:50:33 AM »
I was fighting Kalameet grounded.  Still no love for the fight.  He is crazy up close and I didn't feel like plinking him down with arrows.

Up to Gwyn now.  Got a Target Shield up to +7 Fire and maxed out Dark Silver Tracer Tong, I am not good at parrying him and he tears through Stamina and HP both.  Its 3 in the morning, I will sleep and come back and just try killing him with Combustion juggles instead.

Edit - Changed my mind.  Did it now.  ok that was really stupid

So I put my Mimic Face on and set myself on fire.  Game over!

Kalameet is honestly just tedious. Definitely least favorite of the DLC bosses. The tail weapon is pretty cool, though.

Even after all the time I've spent on the game I'm still too terrified of Gwyn to make a concerted effort at parrying him to death. Black knight shield +5 should pretty much solve all problems there anyway.

~

Torchlight 2: Sand r-a-a-a-ts?

Walked through a desert, and then a slightly different desert, did not have foresight to bring nameless horse. Presently gibbing mushroom dudes. I'm just now noticing that my cat has three times as much HP as I do and I'm not sure what to make of this. Well, it doesn't seem to matter how much HP I have so long as it's not so little that I can get oneshotted (and the in-game statistics say the most anything's done to me in one hit was probably flat 2HKO territory anyway). I'm rocking dual vampire pistols and there's relatively little that can actually outpace my parasitic healing. The skillset I've picked is actually stupidly limited, I've chosen to ramp up a select few through the roof rather than diversify, but it gets RESULTS, you stupid chief! Max dual-wield execution rate, max critrate, slap on draining weapons and heal up as everything explodes into batminions around me. It's stupid but it works. (That is pretty much the game.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3028 on: December 31, 2014, 04:10:33 AM »
I think Kalameet is my least favourite boss after Centipede Demon and Ceaseless Discharge

I'd have appreciated South Park to not bring back the Manbearpig, oh well. I accept that SP is going to offend me at one point considering the amount of people it offends.
Yeah that was just a reminder of some of Matt and Trey's shittier opinions but that's not even what bothered me. It's toward the end of the game and it reeks of tryhard  offensiveness and I think you'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

I guess I waited all the game for something truly terrible for SP standards, but I haven't seen it happen and I don't know what it is. Was it the abortion part or the mr slave part? I think in general, I'm more bothered by SP's questionable politics + lashing out on one real person more than when it's gross as hell.

I was a bit annoyed by Canada being 8 bit Dragon Quest, in 2014. You are way past the expiration date for including this kind of thing guys. And wait, this comes from fucking Obsidian? This is like Dark Souls 3 having a THE CAKE IS A LIE LOL easter egg.
In general, this didn't feel like an Obsidian game at all: Level scaling, Simple QTE oriented combat, not a lot of ambition but tightly focused, not too many bugs, only two whole choices during the game that barely matter.
This is actually pretty much as un-Obsidian as it gets. It's an RPG. That's about it.

The game's difficulty was a joke on expert. There are few fights overall, the game lets you bypass a lot of them (not like it's needed), you can use one item per round for free in battle, and the game showers you with items. Tweaking with numbers to include an uber Xtra hard mode wouldn't work, it's just not made to be a challenge at any point really.
Plagues of Egypt from the Jew class was way too good, just a major step up from anything in my arsenal at that point.

Also
- The finale was entirely awesome. I loved all of it.
- I only caught like 22 chimpokomons and had about 100 facebook friends
- Too many farts
- I still don't know why nazis?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3029 on: December 31, 2014, 09:23:58 AM »
This is the part where I talk about how tedious and telegraphed Kalameet is and how much a pain in the ass it is to get his tail.  This is where I recount my numerous deliberate failures because I'd nearly killed him multiple times without cutting his tail off.  Boast about constant no-hit runs and how I probably could have beaten him blindfolded by the time I finally got the tail weapon.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3030 on: December 31, 2014, 10:21:57 AM »
Dark Souls 2 - Started this up because hey new years or something?  Started as Sorcerer.  This is regret.  I don't even want a 100% block shield, I just want any shield.

Go to Forest of Fallen Giants.  This place is like a billion miles long before a bonfire.  plz i just want to level up why you do this
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3031 on: December 31, 2014, 12:20:41 PM »
I guess I waited all the game for something truly terrible for SP standards, but I haven't seen it happen and I don't know what it is. Was it the abortion part or the mr slave part? I think in general, I'm more bothered by SP's questionable politics + lashing out on one real person more than when it's gross as hell.

Yeah, it is to do with abortions and nazis and now you should know what I'm talking about. It just strikes me as the equivalent of the dumb lol ninja pirate viking shit that is less about being creative and more about dumb shock value (there's even an achievement associated with it). I was more offended by their effort to be edgy and offensive than what they actually did, if that makes any sense.