Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 182814 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
What games are you playing 2014?
« on: January 01, 2014, 12:01:22 PM »
FO:NV - More used to the engine, less frustrated.  Having places unlocked for fast travel also helps immensely.  Got to the Strip, took Black Widow so I could try and steal Maria off Benny after sleeping with him.  None of this works.  End up shooting it out of his hand running up and snatching it up and shooting him in the face with it.

Going for the ending where you end up ruling Vegas mostly because I really want to get that challenge of killing Mr House with a golf club.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2014, 01:58:57 PM »
Brig:GE- Virtue of the Empire, yo.  DisD2 looks neat as well, will have to play that at some point.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2014, 02:20:56 PM »
FO:NV - More used to the engine, less frustrated.  Having places unlocked for fast travel also helps immensely.  Got to the Strip, took Black Widow so I could try and steal Maria off Benny after sleeping with him.  None of this works.  End up shooting it out of his hand running up and snatching it up and shooting him in the face with it.

Going for the ending where you end up ruling Vegas mostly because I really want to get that challenge of killing Mr House with a golf club.

That's what he gets for not laughing at the "chip outta luck" joke!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2014, 06:27:50 PM »
Odo never laughed at jokes either.  I don't know why you're surprised.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 09:13:09 PM »
Perfect World:  New expansion where you go back to level 1 and start leveling again with more stats.  New skills are nice.  Pretty much given up on blademaster and only play mystic now.

Lots of free games on Xbox recently:

Ms Splosion Man:  This is extremely unfun.

Aqua:  Not bad.

Shoot Many Robots:  Fun, will probably be playing this a bit.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2014, 12:19:27 AM »
FONV: Based on the furniture arrangement in Dr. O's bathroom, I conclude that he does his best thinking while taking a shit. Lack of brainial power in robot form explained.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2014, 01:35:52 PM »
Wonderful 101: I smashed a giant robot Dragon that was formed by a giant space warship with a large yellow hammer...repeatedly...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2014, 03:59:37 PM »
Grefter, thanks I think. In the FFX stuff's case though it was more like I myself couldn't help but be taken in by a sense of horrid fascination at what was coming out while I was poking around about FFX/X-2 HD stuff~

Isn't Early Game Rose's whole thing being "I'm better than all of you at everything...except HP...and Shana's speed...DEAL WITH IT!" <_<?

Yeah :)

Feels more pronounced or something on the version I'm playing though since attack items aren't as effective so Shana doesn't have as much to do with her speed. At least offensively Rose has the edge and Shana isn't really competing any this time. I mean a Spark Net only did 28~ damage to Jiango >_> I used Dart/Lavitz/Shana in order to get Shana more up to date with levels/EXP like I've been doing whenever I've had the chance but this time it feels hard to justify that other than for I like her/might want to use her later and don't want her to fall terribly behind, like she might have done if I'd just used the more effective character all the time, I used Dart/Lavitz/Rose for Frugal 2 + minions though, due to levels gained from beating that Rose now has a new addition to work on, so yeah it feels hard to justify continuing to use Shana.  It's not like she's been especially more effective as a healer yet either, items and/or Rose w/th Special + Astral Drain have been good stuffs so far~

Edit - Though maybe the fact I have no monies is a good reason to be/for using her for heals!~
« Last Edit: January 02, 2014, 04:55:26 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2014, 06:23:45 PM »
Fallout: New Vegas - Started this. Not quite sure what I'm doing. Made it to Primm though. Interface is indeed a little wonky and bothersome, but I was getting used to it.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2014, 08:06:02 PM »
Fallout: New Vegas - Started this. Not quite sure what I'm doing. Made it to Primm though. Interface is indeed a little wonky and bothersome, but I was getting used to it.

If you're playing it right, what you're doing is GETTING REVENGE.  On anyone who ever crosses you.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2014, 08:28:57 PM »
Accidentally posted this in the old topic. :)

General thoughts on Phoenix Wright - Duel Destinies:

The first case is unusually weak for a PW game. I feel that due to their short nature, there is only so bad the first case can be, but this one isn't very good. Juniper is Maggey Byrde level pathetic(more on the bizareness of her a bit later) and it's not all that exciting or funny. Reminds me a bit of JFA's first case with a better and more stylish villain. Some interesting foreshadowing to the last case there too.

The second case is pretty good. I love the defendant and we get introduced to the hamtastic Fulbright and the interesting Simon Blackquill. These two alone make the case brighter than the first, and the whole unravelled mystery of what exactly happened on that day was fun. The antagonist is a bit weaker than case 1's but is still fine. Filch is ridiculous.

Case 3 is definitely the weak link of the game. Teenage drama plot dominates entirely too much of it and the killer to me was brutally obvious. I also disapprove of the Wild Armsesque beating over the head with the 'incorrect' legal philosophy. Juniper as the defendant AGAIN made me want to flip a table and they do a terrible job of making you believe or even attempting to reconcile the character in case 1 and the one in case 3. Uh okay. Robin and Klavier steal the show for the one case wonders, and Athena gets a notable amount of character development. Hugh is pretty stupid. I also think that the case is very unfunny.(spoilers for DLC within) The killer has that strange and unfortunate mixture of bad serious character, unfunny funny character, and a very weak opponent. Which is weird considering that he is a defense attorney. Good lord, man, you get owned in a testifying duel with a rapping animal trainer. Shame on you, buddy. He's probably my least favorite character in the game! Fulbright and Blackquill continue to be solid, though.

Case 4 is weird. I think it starts quite poorly, with excess amount of Solomon Starbuck, but ends pretty good. Reminds me of 3-4 a bit but less brutally snooze worthy and it has Yuri! Blackquill vs. Yuri is a sight to behold. Yuri is fantastic and takes Blackquill's hatred of liars to a new level. Aura is also introduced here, and she is pretty awesome. That family is fucked. In some ways it feels like case 4 and case 5 should be one case, but I am fine with it the way it is because it makes it less obvious that the stuff going on in the fourth case is a Big Deal.

Case 5 is a great end to the game. The case starts with ROBOT OVERLORD AURA being a supervillain which is hilarious. Simon ends up being a pretty damn sympathetic character and he and Athena don't have the weird animu rivalry I was dreading. Simon seems like he might have been a decent guy before Metis's death The case has lots of twists and turns and the big plot twist is fucking fantastic. One thing I really like about it is that it keeps you wondering what is going on and pretty much everyone in the case except Phoenix is involved in at least one of the murders in some way. I understand why they decided to make it two cases because the fifth case primarily focuses on Metis rather than Clay, although his death is still important.

I want to let out a big supervillain laugh every time i think about it. Bonus props for evil Phoenix as the final opponent. I think I will call the villain that from now on. <_< I loved the way that the mood matrix was used in that case. First there's Blackquill, who just lies you to you to make it more confused until he says something that you can catch him on lying. Then there's Evil Phoenix who first tries to jam the Moon Matrix, then has ALL THE EMOTIONS, and then tries to psych Athena out about the Mood Matrix stuff, which mostly addresses my concerns about it. I loved his constantly changing expressions and how he says “Whoops, I mean...” and starts displaying mass emotions. :)

DLC case is also fucking fantastic. Hilarious, very filled with suspense, good final adversary. Adorable. Is definitely the original trilogy 'case 3', which tend to be consistently strong cases. <3 I have a particular soft spot for Herman Crab and his silly penguin. The Dissin' of Phoenix Wright is my favorite testimony ever. <3)

Bonus points to the game for no spirit medium bullshit plot and lacking in Maya in general. Nice to have a female protag who isn't mentally challenged. Edgeworth cameo was 10/10, would play again. "This robot might be more human than you, Edgeworth!" Pearly cameo I can take or leave, she looks very silly but I have a soft spot for Pearly so those two offset. :)

Blackquill is like putting Godot and Klavier in a blender and getting a product that is better than either. Fulbright is the Gumshoe of the game but is less incompetent. I approve. The attorney team works great and is gasp like a real legal practice. In some ways Apollo feels like the Maya/Trucy/Kay of the game rather than Athena which I initially expected which makes me happy. He definitely seems to be on the sidelines for good parts of the game.

Aura, Yuri, and Tenma win the awards for the best single-case characters(if you count 4 and 5 as one case ;)) in the regular game, and the DLC adds Herman and Marlon, both which are awesome. :)

Cases are: 5 ~= DLC > 2 > 4 > 1 > 3

AAI > JFA > DD > AA > T&T> 1-5 can eat a dick yo for my series rankings.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 04:48:26 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2014, 08:49:53 PM »
FONV: Did you hear that, Betsy? Richie Marcus likes BALLS.

Hit level 50 just before finishing OWB. Have maxed every skill but Melee and Unarmed. Gogo high intelligence, the only way to fly. I let Mobius keep his Mentats stash because seriously what do I need it for now? Took a bunch of movement-related perks I never had before, can stealth around at basically full normal speed and not be penalized for it. Also supposedly I can keep the Pip-Boy light on constantly without taking a hit to Sneak, but I'm not convinced this actually works as advertised.

Added to the arsenal for Lonesome Road: Mercy, Pew Pew, Gauss Rifle. One I never had the strength to use properly before, others old favorites. Weapons taking up a lot of inventory space, but I am resolute in my decision not to slow the final missions down by looting! Because seriously Cid you don't fucking need any more loot at this point, no put the weapon repair kit components down you've got like two hundred of them in storage.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2014, 01:25:39 AM »
I also completed NSMB2 on my trip. It's definitely the lost inspired Mario game I've ever played besides LL (I try to avoid games which sound bad as a rule though) but it is fine. Romped through the game.

MK7 - Picked this up again since I was at home with only a 3DS. It's a great game with great track design and great choices for old tracks. Love it.

Kid Icarus Uprising - Started this. Controls are a little strange but the game is fun so far.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2014, 03:04:51 AM »

Hit level 50 just before finishing OWB. Have maxed every skill but Melee and Unarmed. Gogo high intelligence, the only way to fly. I let Mobius keep his Mentats stash because seriously what do I need it for now? Took a bunch of movement-related perks I never had before, can stealth around at basically full normal speed and not be penalized for it. Also supposedly I can keep the Pip-Boy light on constantly without taking a hit to Sneak, but I'm not convinced this actually works as advertised.

Added to the arsenal for Lonesome Road: Mercy, Pew Pew, Gauss Rifle. One I never had the strength to use properly before, others old favorites. Weapons taking up a lot of inventory space, but I am resolute in my decision not to slow the final missions down by looting! Because seriously Cid you don't fucking need any more loot at this point, no put the weapon repair kit components down you've got like two hundred of them in storage.

I am terrible about that, and the house mod I use doesn't help things.

http://www.nexusmods.com/newvegas/mods/37884/?

Yeah, a customizable bunker with mannequins and weapons displays and shelves you NEED to fill up with boxes of bullets because if you don't have all the spaces filled it looks uneven and like you didn't do a very good job of stockpiling for the apocalypse!  And then what will your homies think when you invite them over?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2014, 04:19:18 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2014, 05:51:48 AM »
Goodbye Deponia - played through

It was less terrible than Chaos On Deponia. Not that that's difficult.

Thomas Was Alone - played through

Pretty enjoyable. I feel like it could have used a bit more closure.

Bravely Default - In Eternia again

[...] Meanwhile here I'm probably somewhere between 1/2 - 3/4 done with the game and three characters are still in the first jobs I've put them in, and the only reason that the fourth isn't is because the fourth is still a freelancer. [...] Laughably, freelancers have an inherent ability which causes their stats to raise by 1% for every mastered job the character has. Unless JP gains slam through the roof shortly, that is never going to matter.

So JP gains did essentially slam through the roof at that point. Furthermore, while I thought I had been allowing a lot of leeway for the game to expand its plot (regarding how much time I though there was left in the game to get JP in), it looks like it's expanded far more than that.

Still have to deal with the fact that you only get one slot for a separate class's skillset (even freelancers), and only five slots for support abilities. So even though it is actually feasible for characters to master a good deal of classes, they generally can't actually DO anything with them (unless you're willing to micromanage things). There's that bonus the freelancer gets as classes are mastered but if you do go freelancer you're stuck with the Miscellany skillset which is pretty useless.

My characters are currently partway through their fourth classes but only because I am finding it generally pleasant to grind outside Eternia City. Moreso the first time I was there than now, because at that point all the daytime enemies could be killed with two amped compounded bomb arms, which is very cheap to begin with but also all the daytime enemies can be killed with exactly two amped compounded bomb arms, so if that's all you use you get the sweeper bonuses for every battle and get even more money out of them.

Unfortunately, while most of the enemies currently operate the same way, there's been a new enemy added which can't be killed with exactly two amped compounded bomb arms so this doesn't work as well. Still works pretty nicely when it doesn't show up for a while!

(Also, anywhere you do need to go, for the main quest and for side quests, is marked on the map, so it's not like you ever need to find anything. I don't remember any points at which the characters didn't know where they needed to (directly) go next.)
It turns out you can actually turn the markers off. I'm not going to do that though, since as I said earlier the game doesn't let you do anything that it doesn't want you to do anyway (Although given the amount of things it seems to want me to do currently, maybe that's been relaxed by now...).

The plot has been edging closer and closer to reverse Golden Sun territory with confirmation that awakening all the Crystals is supposed to be a Bad Thing, for all that nothing apparently untoward happened the first time we did it (assuming you don't consider being sent back in time/to alternate timeline a bad thing). But there's still been no time devoted to explaining the actions that pretty much any of the enemies were taking in pursuit of this purpose. Personally, ever since Olivia didn't appear to know what a Cryst-Fairy was, I've suspected Airy, and some of the details in Vampire Castle make that look even more likely - but nothing has come of that yet. Maybe later.

Vampire Castle is awesome, plotwise, and the way the game locks it up is criminal. I ended up using a 1xDark Bane, 15xAmped Compounded Shadowflare combination on everything to get in (and I have no idea how anyone is supposed to guess that the monuments which looks like they're teleportation targets/waypoint stones/whatever are actually guarding the castle keystones). Then disabled encounters in the castle itself. (I don't know what encounters in the castle are actually like but I didn't care enough to find out after the previous). Unhappily the aforementioned combination isn't enough damage for the boss of that area. Unless you change the difficulty to Easy for that fight!

So currently, I'm pretty interested in seeing where things are going. But I'm also pretty apprehensive that most of the current sidequests available to me are going to turn out to be exactly the same as they were in the first cycle. I haven't done any of them yet, so I'll see whether that's the case when I see.

But in the meantime I've been distracted by the 'missing' Pokémon having become available in X/Y GTS and so on.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2014, 06:27:08 AM »

Hahaha you're 50 already?  I need to stop putzing around and spending inordinate amounts of time just making ammo.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2014, 02:05:39 PM »
Really, a personalized sand with mannequins and weaponry shows and racks you NEED to complete up with containers of principal points because if you don't have all the areas loaded it looks irregular and like you didn't do a very excellent job of stockpiling for the apocalypse!  And then what will your homies think when you encourage them over?

Beautiful.

FO:NV - Realised game was on Very Easy for some reason.  No cares given.  oh noes not the terrible gunplay being missed out on.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Paper Mario Sticker Star - Super Boot and Frog Suit stickers are -storebought-? WELP, there goes the game.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2014, 03:12:00 PM »
Warcraft 3: Beat Reign of Chaos, started Frozen Throne.  I am at a weird point where Normal difficulty is easy to the point of being boring for me, but Hard difficulty is just obnoxious.  I played most of RoC on Normal because of this,  though I'm trying to avoid that for Frozen Throne because I actually want to have fun playing the game instead of just maxing out while my units crush everything else. Writing is still ridiculous but yeah.

Immediately Frozen Throne feels like a better game game. RoC was kind of held back by withholding units from you until you get to the last chapter, then by that point you just want to mass that last unit and ranged units. SC2 did it too, but then gave you a slew of chapters where you have access to all of your units so it's not nearly as poorly done. Upkeep is also a stupid idea, and FT boosted upkeep thresholds. I guess it adds an element of "do I want fast upgrades or a large army right away" but after SC2 the whole idea is just blah, particularly since your mines deplete at the same rate. I guess it encourages building towers and expanding, so that's something... except only rarely are there ever expansions you want to take, at least on Normal.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2014, 04:14:15 PM »
Wow bot ... and I thought the one about Yu, Yosuke, Chie and strikes was good~

Wow I forgot how badly Doel mocks Albert, 300+ damage/2HKO with Rose Storm -up-

Legend of Dragoon JP-

Disc one complete. Went ahead and stuck with Dart/Albert/Rose for Black Castle though I used Shana/Haschel on the map getting to Kazas (forgot to mention I used Haschel some on soldiers in the return to Hellena prison, etc as well) I think there was another merchant in the Black Castle of the English version that wasn't there in the JP version, I couldn't find anywhere selling stuff so backtracked to the Magi men for the free full healing between the two boss fights.  Final two bosses of the disc ... Kongol didn't seem to have much HP even here, kind of unimpressive overall though he did hit hard times he finally did get a turn, Doel was fun though, had to break up Angel's Prayers/heals - cue facepalm moment when I have Albert use Rose Storm, he uses it, reverts back to human form, Doel gets a turn, hits him for over 300~, Albert ded >_>

Final stats for the disc. Dart L16, Dragoon L3, Double Slash L5, Volcano L5,  Burning Rush L5, Crush Dance L1 (11/20), Rose L15, DLV2, Whip Smack L5, More and More L3 (40/60), Albert L14, DLV2, Harpoon L5, Spinning Cane L5, Rod Typhoon L2 (23/40), Gust of Wind Dance (0/20), Haschel L15, DLV1, Double Punch L2 (26/40), Flurry of Styx (0/20), Shana L12, DLV1.

Accessories of choice were DEF boosters, Attack Badges, and later I used Bandit's Ring and Therapy Ring on peeps. Think I used the anti poison accessory on the snake boss early as well. I also found the SP regen ring in the Black Castle so I might stick that on Shana in hopes of getting another DLV soon (want Rose to master More and More first though I think)~

Highlights for me this run were getting a Bandit's Ring off Drake first time and also getting Meru's Morning Star first time from the first soldier fight on return to Hellena (however I then lost that because I had to reset because I accidentally ran into the soldier trap before I was done collecting dungeon treasures, and I forgot I could go back after Jiango anyway >_>, so I then had to fight the RNG to get another Morning Star <_<) ~
« Last Edit: January 03, 2014, 06:31:46 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2014, 02:04:10 AM »
NieR- A ending.  More when not on phone.  Done for now, maybe do B later.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2014, 02:57:48 AM »
I hated everything about Nier's endgame story, but doing ending B was still definitely worth it. It's filled with extra scenes, and it's short enough.

D's ending is really cool, but really don't bother if you've been spoiled about it already.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2014, 06:33:48 PM »
I hated everything about Nier's endgame story, but doing ending B was still definitely worth it. It's filled with extra scenes, and it's short enough.

Oh, yeah, I read the whole LP.  I started a new game and saw the words for Kaine's story, just I don't want to play the game for a while so going through all the bosses again to finish it out isn't appealing at this time.

That's really the thing though.  Unlike a lot of games, I don't think Nier gained anything between reading an LP and actually playing the game.  Which is weird because Laura Bailey knocked it out of the park, but... yeah.  The gameplay falls into a very strange sort of blandness.  There's nothing wrong with it, aside perhaps from a tendency to cheapshots and life bar being less prominent than perhaps it could be, and some clear thought went into how to escalate the game and the overall boss design.  Just I played it and the only real reason I kept playing was not having much else to do and wanting to finish the game.

I'm just not sure how to feel about the game.  It's weird and revels in weirdness.  I've read that at one point in production, it was meant to be about walking into fairy tales, then much later shifted tone towards 'something appropriate for a follow-up to Drakengard', which yeah sounds about right.  Certainly explains how a story about a sick little girl turned into a story about Kaine (Dadass might be calling the shots, but even in the A ending Kaine's the real focal point of the story).  There's gameplay merit, but at the end of the day I just don't care very much.  Even setting aside the core, the game routinely shifts up the rules of its current genre, going back to that fairy tale thing, so that makes sense. 

I think the issue I'm having is that the game is too calculated.  Like... what is the fewest number of steps, the shortest amount of script and tiniest variation of gameplay that we can use to prompt this precise emotion in our player.  As a result it feels openly manipulative so my kneejerk is against it, even though it's really a very interesting and well thought out game with a lot going for it. 

Ultimately I think I"m just going to give it an 8/10 even though that feels inflated.  Perhaps when I sit down to the next ending I'll either justify that score or decide to hell with it and lower it.  Hard to say at the moment.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.