Register

Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49559 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #500 on: April 17, 2017, 10:35:20 PM »
THat makes sense.  The only time I really out levelled story's enemies was Angels in the second Palace because they are level 12 and I was back tracking at like level 15+.

I was contemplating the dumb romance thing, I would just not do it but A) seeing content and B) you pick enough dialogue and see enough cutscenes to know that MC ain't Ace.  Priestess does seem the one that fits main plot best?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 18, 2017, 01:40:51 PM »
P5 - well that 5 minutes was a fucking roller coaster of emotions.

Yeah okay Ryuji is stupid but eh I am less frustrated by him than most people seemed to be at September.

Wait what the school that is worried about their massive case of Negligence from the start of the game wants to fuckong do WhAAt?

Oh you can buy a game from the retro game shop in Alohabara called Punch Ouch.  K game we good again.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 18, 2017, 04:55:05 PM »
P5: this music
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=MnHqMeGR-rE

P:T: hey Grefter I am still ready to play this terrible port, as a jerkface solo TNO
Which items are absolutely necessary outside their levels again, aside from junk? Can I store shit in shelves and go back to find it later? I haven't even left the mortuary and my inventory is already full of garbage
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 05:11:10 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2017, 10:05:16 PM »
Um.  Just junk early on I think?  Pry bar I think is handy later maybe.  Chocolate Quasit and the Foldable portal later on, otherwise that is really it.

You can put stuff in shelves for later, don't leave it on the ground, that is what goes missing.

I legit forget some of the finer points, I don't do yearly replays any more.  I was waiting for this remake to be honest.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 19, 2017, 06:05:20 AM »
Final Fantasy Dimensions - Sol? Sol? SOOOOLLLLLLLL!

Memorist chapter, Dusk again. Like most chapters this begins with a town and a shop which doesn't really have much new stuff.

Ashmonte: The enemies here aren't too notable. Aegir can use Constrict but rarely and with poor accuracy. A couple enemies here can use sleep. Easy dungeon, we hit a save point and...

<Aigis> We'll split up.
<Elecman> NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

So uh Sol and Sarah go together and get annihilated. Worse, they have a force fight against two Lancers, who are enemies from the last chapter but are quite capable of destroying Level ~9 PCs. Nope nope nope.

I fight about 8-9 battles until Sol/Sarah hit Level 21, with Dusk shepherding them along. I then make them Red Mages with L1 Summon (where have we seen this before) and they can now reliably survive long enough to get turns against the lancers (originally, the lancers would instant double them and/or OHKO). Confuse is once again the play to win, and Sylph patches up both at once. Sylph OP.

Anyway there's also a Dusk/Aigis section which is a mega-joke because the enemies are weaker than usual (as they were for Sol/Sarah, but yeah). Then we're done.

Hierro Cave: Challenge stall points aside, this dungeon is significantly nastier than the last, starting to look like the later parts of the Dark Knight chapter where enemies hit hard and are just a brutal tax on resources to get through. L2 spells no longer doing a great job.

The most notable enemy here is the Alveolata, which regens around 350 health a turn. Overcoming this with MT is difficult, easier though not trivial with ST. The best solution? Break! Finally buying this spell really feels like it pays off. Actually it's useful against several enemies here... Rock Eaters are elementally neutral, reasonably sturdy, and hit very hard with Smash To Bits (plus they're adorable squirrels), Break takes 'em out too.

Speartongues can inflict Frog; this is annoying, but at least it's inaccurate. Mighty Golems are powerful, bulky, and can confuse... but Mini deals with them. Earthipedes are bulky and can use a damaging (500) Earthquake, and no fatal/transformation status works; Sleep is an option, but just outslugging them and eating the Hi-Potion costs is also an option.

I equip the Headband and Protect Bangle and use appropriate status moves + dragon breaths as Red Mage, then switch to Dragoon when low on MP which is much harder because I lose options and confuse immunity, and do have to run from some fights.

I reach Fabrica. I buy the L5 black magic, althogh this is the first spell level Red Mage can't use, which means we'll see how much value I actually get out of it. But more importantly...

FUCKING. FINALLY.

(Also sleep and silence immunity options, as well as an anti-confuse robe... lots of good stuff. The Gold-Spun Hat can only be used by mage classes, unfortunately.)

Glacial Cave: Anyway, time to get Shiva. With my Gold-Spun Hat firmly in place, Ice Lizards (paralysis spammers can now be safely mocked. The rest of the dungeon... is not trivial mostly because I need to save my MP without leaving a mage job, so I do a lot of bow physicals (should have bought a Flame Bow) and that results in eating through my Hi-Potions at a decent clip. But besides paralysis, no enemy here has overwhelming damage or any especially dangerous tricks; there's curse but that's about it and the enemies who use it (Cursed Silver) are fragile. I use Fire Breath against larger groups and Mini against Ice Golems and otherwise try to conserve MP.

Shiva (1 reset) - Not too bad. Shiva uses silence which is unfortunate since she outspeeds me so it's a nasty tempo move, beyond that she's an awful lot like Styx or Baugauven, 500ish magic damage and decent speed and 12000 HP + an elemental weakness. She'll use Blizzara to heal herself periodically and doing so buffs her damage by like 25% or so, so that adds some oomph, but she's still reasonably maangeable. I win the first time I actually block silence. Fira and Sylph all day long.

Will I actually use Shiva? Who knows! That's not really the point. Ramuh proved useful though, so we'll see. Current level is in the mid 50's.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 19, 2017, 07:50:23 AM »
Bravely Second- Beaten! The final boss' HP was pretty poor (I was certainly expecting it to have a lot more). What good is 150,000 HP when I have a character who can do 80,000 x 2 after storing 3 BP? Certainly nothing like the final boss from the first game. The little interlude was the only part that had me worried for a second, which is more than I can say for the boss.

I'm thinking of using new game plus to do a stat topic since I can reset level. What level would people take the stat topic at for normal? I guess I would use job level 11, but just put notations about what is gained at job level 11 since it's not what would be considered standard DL legal.
...into the nightfall.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 19, 2017, 12:01:43 PM »
Anyone surprised I've been playing PERSONA 5?!

Currently completed the 5th dungeon...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!  Going to save my detailed comments for the end,  but it's excellent.   Things are going slower than back in the old days because

1) Fuck you real life I wanna play my vidya games

2)  I've been going it very slowly taking notes on everything in the game including mechanics for writing some type of FAQ... and stat topic, of course

God, I remember the days of grinding out a game in the course of a week.   Real life gets in the way too much.

Also,  romancing Backstreet Doctor.  Because I feel like being different. 
« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 02:02:41 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 19, 2017, 01:30:56 PM »
Persona 5 -

...Why is an event that requires me having max rank in a social stat to activate...  Giving me points in that social stat?

Lord Ephraim

• Denizen
  • Scientific Perfection
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 19, 2017, 02:17:58 PM »
Anyone surprised I've been playing PERSONA 5?!

Currently completed the 5th dungeon...IN SPAAAAAAAACE!  Going to save my detailed comments for the end,  but it's excellent.   Things are going slower than back in the old days because

1) Fuck you real life I wanna play my vidya games

2)  I've been going it very slowly taking notes on everything in the game including mechanics for writing some type of FAQ... and stat topic, of course

God, I remember the days of grinding out a game in the course of a week.   Real life gets in the way too much.

Also,  romancing Backstreet Doctor.  Because I feel like being different.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: April 20, 2017, 02:16:26 AM »
Beat P5 today. Final time clocked, 95 hours. Holy shit. Was a hell of a ride, 10/10 game to me easy. Also, Rivers In The Desert is going to be stuck in my head for days.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 20, 2017, 03:23:21 AM »
Same, 101 hours here thanks to some dithering.

9/10 here. It's an almost perfect game but at the same time I didn't form as much emotional attachment to anything in it like I did for P4. Most of my quibbles are minor nitpicks, although the one I think rises above minor is that the end drags itself out too much and kinda fizzles.

EDIT: For people planning on NG+, you keep pretty much everything BUT consumables, so sell anything you don't think you'll need for the final dungeon. HOWEVER, the last day you can sell them is 12/22 or so. Don't miss out like I did ;-;
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 07:30:35 AM by Hunter Sopko »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 20, 2017, 07:20:07 AM »
Beat P5 today. Final time clocked, 95 hours. Holy shit. Was a hell of a ride, 10/10 game to me easy. Also, Rivers In The Desert is going to be stuck in my head for days.

If only the singer can pronounce desert properly.
I can never take that song seriously because the singer pronounced it into dessert.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 09:19:07 AM by Niu »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: April 20, 2017, 07:31:25 AM »
That and Our Beginning has wormed it's way into my head, yep

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 20, 2017, 01:04:42 PM »
Planescape Torment :

Wis 18 Int 17 and the rest in charisma.

I started off by ditching Morte, and ate a few no-fights quests in the hive until reaching level 6. Went to see the midwife, changed to a mage. Went to O for wisdom, then Dak'hon, basically explained the philosophy of his whole clan to him by unlocking all the circles and gorging on all that exp, then immediately ditched him too.

Now I can start fights and they are surprisingly easy considering I'm playing on the hardest difficulty and going solo. Balance in all things for crowds (this thing is so great), chromatic orbs and defensive spells for single units. Even as a mage I am the most buff motherfucker and can handle most guys 1vs1.

The writing in this is still real good. I was quite overwhelmed by the game the first time to be honest, and it's easy to see why. NPCs everywhere who throw walls of texts and quests at you. A bunch of areas to visit. Weird stats, no piece armor, Dnd rules with negative armor being good, tacos and everything. Curses. 
My mistake was exploring by carefully examining every square inch of the map, eventually forgetting about what my quests were about, instead of just following one quest whenever I get one and not paying attention to the rest.

Playing as someone greedy, mean and cruel is less fun nowadays because I feel like I'm roleplaying Trump

P5: I cleared the third palace
God is this game still relentless on hard mode, I love it. One time an Oni got a turn and OHKOed Joker with a critical hit. Afterwards I always made sure to get the first turn and Dormina them with Ann/Joker so they never could actually act. This is the kind of shit I have to deal with. I'm legit intimidated by every enemy, don't get me started on the armless dudes who cast Mazionga.
My Shiki-Ouji carried me through the dungeon thanks to Null Phys, Diarama and a lot of damage spells. Honestly every battle with a deva went everybody but Joker instantly dies -> Joker slowly beats his enemies because he's basically immortal

MasterLemon

• N. Sane
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Discord where me and my brother whine about movies!
« Reply #514 on: April 20, 2017, 02:27:35 PM »
Final Fantasy III: Beaten Titan and gotten the Warlock, Summoner, and Shaman jobs. I've made two of my party members M. Knights (now I've gotten past the city which provides equipment for them), one of them a Summoner, and one of them a Shaman. Making half of my party physical attackers and the other half mages should make the shift to the Eureka classes easier.

Pokemon FireRed: Beaten the second Pokemon League challenge. Another issue which I forgotten I had with the game was how you had to get 60 kinds on your Pokedex in order to do the post-game. This probably isn't an issue for people who complete the Pokedex anyway, but it's a minor inconvenience for someone who is just binging on the games without 100%ing them. Otherwise, like RSE, I feel like this one has aged rather well.

The final team:

Jagens:

Nuked the second Pokemon League challenge:

Pokemon Platinum: I don't have much of a choice but to play this version for the binge. Diamond and Pearl feel too much like betas for me to come back to them. I've just gotten to Hearthome City, the place with the square which brought back the most over loved aspect in a Pokemon game. I remember really liking this one when I was younger, but I'm having a lot of problems with it looking back. The game's world is uninteresting, and it bombards you with dialogue until you beat the first badge. It's even worse with Platinum where you have Looker, the annoying cop who reminds of the Doctor from Doctor Who; a show which I have next to no love for. What I will say about the game though is that it has the best boss draw at this point. I liked RSE's boss fights but the ones here felt like the next logical step forward in terms of what they could make the AI do.

The current team:

Jagens:

Shadow of the Colossus: Beaten it and still shaken by the game's ballsy ending. I watched Zero Punctuation's review of the game afterwards and Yahtzee pretty much nailed both the positive and negative aspects which I had with the game. The smaller colossi fights stick out like sore thumbs in comparison to the others which I had little to no problems with. The other minor gripes which I had were the frame rate, although I hear it was improved with the PS3 compilation of both it and Ico, and Agro's finicky moments, even then I still preferred his top speed over that feeble cattle which is Epona. Other than those minor niggles though, I felt that this was an exceptional title which runs circles over any Zelda game, even my beloved ALTTP. 
« Last Edit: August 13, 2017, 04:20:45 PM by MasterLemon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 20, 2017, 02:42:58 PM »
I'm legit intimidated by every enemy, don't get me started on the armless dudes who cast Mazionga.

This is legit the thing I was looking forward to most.  Game not telling you enemy names, because the thing I figure SMT needs to start doing to Fenrir is start not telling him what things are.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 20, 2017, 04:03:38 PM »
Beat breath of the wild not long ago, all shrines found. Man, what an incredible game. Getting p5 for my birthday next month, working until then.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 20, 2017, 07:30:36 PM »
Grefter I have no idea what you are talking about?

P:T: Many as one does not live up to my memories.
As far as giant rat conglomerates in RPGs (needs to be a trope) go it pales compared to that one in Romancing Saga 3

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 20, 2017, 08:59:25 PM »
The smaller colossi fights stick out like sore thumbs in comparison to the others which I had little to no problems with.

Yeah, pretty much. Was it...11? 12? That was the bull you have to scare off the cliff with the torch? Easily the worst in my experience. His melee attack knocks you down for so long that you can legit get stunlocked to death before you can get away again.

But in general: controls may be finicky, but the game is so, so good at what it sets out to do that I mostly don't care.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 20, 2017, 10:18:10 PM »
Fights with stuff like "Corpse Bird" or "Angry No Arm Man" instead of Taki Mitama that you have been fighting for a decade now and might remember weaknesses from other games.

Also, the mechanics behind the rats in PS:T leaves a lot of room for improvement.  The coolness was always in the concept.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 20, 2017, 10:29:43 PM »
Oh yeah! To be fair even if its real name had appeared I wouldn't have remembered it.
I have an encyclopedic knowledge of SMT demons but can never remember the names of any of the japznese ones!

Mechanics behind rats don't even matter because I have BEES

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: April 21, 2017, 12:56:38 AM »
So.  You claim to have beaten Persona 5, eh.  You must have had help - walkthroughs, guides, FAQs, snarky forum posters.  Tell me who they were.

...and on that note...

Persona 5 - See Grefter's post from earlier.  Holy shit I have no idea how on earth you're supposed to clear the castle in one day, and that's using the Snuff Soul for 50 more MP and drinking all the vending machine SP restorers.  Well...  I suspect you're obviously *not*, that this is training you to take Palaces in multiple runs so let's intentionally have a really long first area.  Oh well, I'll miss out on a few activities, I'll live.  Since Laggy-san did the same thing, I gave myself permission to knock it from Hard -> Normal, just for the first dungeon only and not on bosses.  Kinda ludicrous on Hard and I'm not as masochistic as Fenrir - Brutal Cavalryman doesn't have a weak point you can hit until you recruit or fuse a Silky for Bufu, and he freaking OHKOs everyone with Cleave.  No need to charge up or anything.

Trails of Cold Steel 2 - Here, OTOH, I have plenty of broken, so bring on the 25-levels-too-high Nightmare Cryptids that cast near-OHKO full MT magic.  I thought I was gonna lose, and then I reminded myself how busted Delay is even against enemies with only 10% vulnerability and got back on my feet from a sure loss.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: April 21, 2017, 01:04:52 AM »
I played on Normal, FAQless to start, referring to the Confidants guide for best answers and glacing at a no-spoilers day planner to see if I was on track for things around July. I did not do the first and third palaces in one day (2 doesn't count since you're forced to leave via plot and thus get a free recharge), but I did manage Palace 4 and forward. 4th even done without Adhesives. But Normal and Hard even seem a world's difference. Even with a lot of time wasted, I only had 9 total confidant ranks done, so you do have some leeway. I think some of the FAQs cram getting the Read All Books and Play All Video Games trophies in there. Again, my biggest time loss was forgetting the Confidants that raised Social stats with each rank, and did other things that made me play catchup in the end. If not for that, I think I would've been fine.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: April 21, 2017, 01:06:28 AM »
The key was to take your money from the start and put it in a weapon for Ryuji.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: April 21, 2017, 01:09:20 AM »
Or download the free Soma and sell it to fully equip your party.