Author Topic: What Games are you Playing 2017?  (Read 49543 times)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you Playing 2017?
« Reply #550 on: May 07, 2017, 11:42:54 PM »
Final Fantasy Dimensions - Of drunken paladins

This chapter actually picks up in the middle of the dungeon where Dusk fought Argy-2. There are a few fights on the way out, against the same enemies from before. Nothing too new and since the escape is quite short I can go all out on resources, so I don't have any specific trouble even though the fights aren't trivial.

After that I arrive in Berth, restock on items, and head to Mt. Wells. Notably there's a mantis random on the plains here which doubleacts for like 600 to the back row per hit, 100% accuracy. Um, ow.

Mt. Wells: A difficult dungeon! I experiment with a few setups including Summoner (not great but it means a lot of starting MP, can use Deep Freeze is I desperately need ST), Dragoon (can outslug some enemies but really doesn't work well as we'll see), and Red Mage (either using Dragon Arts for good MT or Black Magic... the latter ends up being more useful).

-Caladrius: Birds. Holy hell they hit like trucks, even with Protect Bangle + back row they can do 600 with Dive, or inflict blind. They can be confused and will do like 1100 to themselves, that's fun at least. A quick MT blitz can let me win slugfests (two summons, four dragon arts) but it's not a given.
-Floating Death: Hits decently hard but not as hard. Casts Confuse. Block that with Gold-Spun Robe so they waste some turns.
-Juggernaut: Vanilla enemy. Weak to fire but decent HP. Fira spam can take them out before they kill me usually since they're not super-damaging, but if necessary various status (sleep/stop) slows 'em down too.
-Purobolos: Unfortunately puts a lid on Fira spam since they absorb it! They also use Firaga which hits quite hard (600-700) or weak physicals. Weak to ice for MT spam there, or vulnerable to Break.
-Coeurl: Douchebags. They have Blaster. Remember Blaster? Nothing I can do about its instant death. If it inflicts paralysis... well, Gold-Spun Hat can stop that. Vulnerable to various status so hit them with one immediately. I usually use Sleep first since it's fast then Confuse so they can't wake up and get a Blaster immediately.
-Mythril Dragon: When they're at full HP, their Blight Wing does 1200-1300 damage. Um, ow. They also use rather nasty physicals or a MT Blizzard Breath which is their least scary thing. Confuse works; they hit themselves for 1600! Stop works. Tornado works.

Stop + Confuse or Sleep + Confuse are very safe lockdown strategies for a single enemy. With Black Level 5 I can then cast Osmose repeatedly to regain all my MP. Definitely nice! Ethers are still kinda expensive (I'd need one per battle at least at this point).

Vata 3 (1 reset) - Oh look, he's back again. Anyway he once again doesn't have Tornado so no worries about cheap deaths. At high HP, Vata can use physical x2 (about 300 per swing to back row + Protect) or Thunder Breath (500), sometimes mixing in Jump (1300) which keeps me honest. He's quite fast and I do lose once to consecutive Jumps, so I have to be a bit more conservative with my Sylph use. He can use Howling Gale for 500 damage and Sap, as usual.

Later in the fight he mixes in Lancet (drins resources a little, generally a breather though), Wild Dance (does around as much as Jump roughly), and Buffet (his scariest move since it can stun sometimes, and does 900 damage). This is all basically the exact same skillset as his previous fight, just scaled up.

I run Red Mage with Int+20 and Summon and the Memorial Ring for +3 to all stats, Protect / -ara / Sylph strategy applies. The biggest issue I have here is that I run out of MP and... I don't have any Dry Ethers or Elixirs! Right, I used them all up on the previous Vata and Argy-2. So I scramble around late in the fight and use two regular Ethers and two X-Potions for emergency healing and then mercifully am able to win. Definitely wish I'd saved at least a Dry Ether; I was sub-optimal in the previous Vata fight for sure and kinda paid for it a bit here. Then again, only one reset so everything turned out fine I suppose.

There's a flashback sequence with solo Gawain; not much to say about it, Charge spam for the win.

Back to Berth and then we get a solo Sarah section. Fortunately she's still Level 21 from the section in the Memorist chapter and this proves adequate; I run Red Mage and use Teleport every fight. There's a healing pot halfway through Mount Burtgang (the short dungeon she has to do) so no worries there. I die once but only due to some gross stupidity involving Auto-Battle expecting to teleport but realising I'd actually defended instead in the previous fight to save some MP, whoops. Totally my bad though, this is manageable enough otherwise. The enemies are generally 1-2 at a time from the previous chapter, the one that scares me most is a Gevaudan since I don't have a paralysis blocker on at the time and they can rarely inflict that.

Back to Dusk and company and they get a short (but slightly longer) dungeon of their own, which of course I do normally as Dusk + corpses.

Underwater Cave: The Leach Squid, the multi-acting physical monster from the Gardenia sewers, makes a return here. Uh yeah they're scary; I try to run Summoner for Ramuh but this mostly scares me out of that, Red Mage with HP+20 and Dragon Arts/Black it is! Break works on 'em. The other enemies can be taken out via Thundara spam or Thunder Breath spam takes 'em out. Hoanes can use Silence and that's kinda annoying, Sea Flowers can use sleep. Good thing I can block 'em all!

I reach Burtgang. I buy Level 6 spells, the Wizard Rod, and the Black Robe (yay Int). There's another Sarah solo fight which I die in, but this proves okay as it just causes Gawain to show up, use an Elixir on her, and then they easily take the enemies out. Sarah jumps from 21 to 23. Party re-unifies at this point. I also get Gawain. Gawain wins the award for the most annoying character in the game to kill off. His (good) armour is all locked in place on him, he has high defensive stats all-around, and his own techs can't self-target so only his physical can self-damage, and not for all that much. Fortunately I only have to do this once and thereafter can abuse the local white chocobo to restore my MP between dungeons, and Osmose on stopped targets lets me recover MP mid-dungeon nicely.

Divine Forest: I try to run Summoner and/or Black Mage here but have trouble doing so because they tend to lose slugfests (Summoner can Sylph but can get into obnoxious heal-locks) due to lower HP/def/speed. Which tells you that this is another competent dungeon. Gorgias hits incredibly hard, doing nearly 1000 with its ST moves. Goblin Mage has some rather nasty damage too. Katipos (spiders) are jerks because they can use Slow which makes battles much harder to win. Other enemies pack some status like confuse which I block. The good news here is that every enemy except Gorgias can be hit with petrify, so Break spam is the order of the day. Gorgias can be stopped, Tornadoed, and abused for Osmose MP at least. I get Unicorn, which heals almost as much as Sylph for over triple the MP! I guess maybe it's more useful on a non-solo or something. No boss fight here, rather unusually, since unicorns only care about your X chromosomes and possibly your sex life.

Castle Burtgang: There are a huge variety of enemies here and again they can be pretty tough, I can win many fights with Black Mage/Summoner but I lose often enogh to get annoyed and retreat to using Red (with Black Magic) yet again.

I won't try to list all the enemies, but some notable ones are Midnight Mages (Dark hits for around 800 and they almost always use it, also they immune Stop/Break so I have to use the shorter-lasting Sleep/Confuse), Fused Organs (undead and quite bulky, they can use Pandemonium does 600 MT and can inflict paralysis, poison, curse, and probably confuse but I'm blocking that; Gold-Spun Hat + Robe makes a return), Iron Knights (1000 damage axes), Katipos (back again to use Web and make my life miserable, I often have to run if they use it immediately), Snipers (have decent long-range damage and confuse).

Unlike the last dungeon almost nothing here can be petrified (just the Katipo) but Stop works on most, as does Confuse (Confuse on hard-hitting physical enemies like the Iron Knight and Archlancer is quite useful, I often stop all but one enemy and confuse the last one).

There are two mini-bosses who are quite legit.

Ghost Rider (2 resets) - At 19000 HP he's not actually that much lower than the previous boss, although a fire weakness helps. Fira and Sylph do their thing. Mostly uses physicals so I run Protect. Wild Dance, which it uses often, is even stronger than Vata's, doing ~1500 if it rolls five hits. Ow! Since he can use it on consecutive turns I almost have to use Sylph is a double is potentially coming. Below half HP he'll start using Pandemonium which is messy. I block confuse and paralysis (... eventually) but curse will weaken the subsequent Sylph and toxify is surprisingly obnoxious too since my HP is high. (It does over 500.) Anyway one reset here is just because I didn't restore my MP before the fight, not expecting this guy to be so respectable, the other is just an execution failure on when to heal during the Pandemonium phase.

Ghost Knight - Worse than Ghost Rider in most ways, has the same HP and fire weakness and physical focus but can only hit for around 1000 and doesn't use Pandemonium. He's got more MT at high health (he uses Sweep often) but here he's just easier.

Later stages of Castle Burtgang feature one rather notable new enemy, the Super Grenade. Despite the bizarre name, she's just a female humanoid mage (the wiki claims it's a mistranslation of "High Nereid"). Regardless of nomenclature, they hit for 1000 with Blizzaga and can use Temptation (MT confuse). Blocking confuse makes them less bad of course. They also are immune to everything except Tornado, so disabling's not really an option; the two-turn kill with Tornado is the best bet since they have enough HP. I don't die but they're pretty scary, especially two at once.

Styx 2 (4 resets) - Styx is highly damaging at full HP and has a nasty limit phase on top of that, and can inflict five different status effects. Once you account for all that she's not that bad, really!

She's actually rather unusual for a FFD boss in that she's totally patterned, using the exact same attacks in a fixed cycle, so let's talk about her that way:

1. Water. Does around 800 to my Level 73 Red Mage's 4000 HP. Unfocuses against the party and always kills them off first turn, which is nice since they revive to 1 HP in a cutscene before the battle starts.
2. Temptation. MT confuse.
3. Waterga. Around 1600.
4. Undine Cry. Around 900 MT and adds Sap. Probably ignores at least some of the factors which reduce magic damage normally.
5. Doublecast Mini + Toad.

Sap can not be blocked and lasts at least five of her turns and thus once it is used the first time I am never free of it for the rest of the fight due to how the fight works. Sap takes about 15% of my health over that interval, so ~600.

In total she does around my max HP once every cycle. During that time I need to cast Sylph twice and can use Thundara on any other turns I get. If I'm not blocking confuse that's a potential wipe, if I'm not blocking toad that's an annoying turn spent on a Maiden's Kiss. I end up blocking both. She still counters lightning attacks (her weakness) with Discharge which is MT stun, and this still doesn't matter on a solo.

Once she falls below about 14000 of her 32000 HP she "upgrades" several of her moves:

1. Water -> Lorelei's Tears. 1800 MT. This move is monstrous for a party and not much better for a solo.
2. Temptation -> Siren Song. Can randomly add any of Toad, Mini, Silence, or Confuse, MT. Silence is the one new one.
3-4. Unchanged (Waterga, Undine Cry)
5. Mini/Toad -> Haste. You don't have Dispel. She's immune to Slow. Once she uses this the first time she'll never not be hasted.

So now her offensive output is roughly 125% of my max HP every five of her turns which really works out to about every three of mine. Any of the non-Mini statuses of Siren Song landing is absolutely fatal now. Fortunately, the combination of Lamia's Tiara (confuse), Scholar's Gown (silence), and Diamond Bangle (frog/mini) blocks everything as long as you have access to light armour... guess what Red Mage has! Anyway with Int+20% and Summon on my Red Mage, Sylph restores just over half my HP. If you do the math that's just enough to keep up with her level of offence! So uh once she's hasted I hardly do anything but Sylph Sylph Sylph all day long. I can occasionally squeeze out a Thundara, I do so... like twice i believe. Maybe three times. At one point I use an X-Potion instead of Sylph because I anticipate a fatal blow coming mid-charge; X-Potions restore around the same. At another point I use my one remaining Elixir to get all my MP back because taking a turn not restoring HP is risky. Anyway the Thundaras (as opposed to Deep Freezes or Darks, etc.) are MP-efficient enough that fortuantely one Elixir is all I need.

Fun note here, the main FAQ for the game as well as the wiki (which is presumably either written by the same person or copied from the FAQ) talk about how Vata 3 is much harder than this fight. Hahaha good one.

After, the game freaks me out by making me walk out of the dungeon without saving but there are no encounters. Instead I get to watch the THIRD plot fight of the game in which some badass older dude character beats up a boss while surviving at 0 HP through willpower. Come on FFD, you're better than this. (You're not better than this.) Paladin chapter complete!

Dusk Level 73
Red Mage L13
Black Mage L12
Dragoon L6
Summoner L4
Warrior L3
Bard L2
Monk L1

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #551 on: May 08, 2017, 05:53:19 AM »
Games I played: more Future Tone.  I can quit any time.  Lemme just uh.  Do a couple more songs then I'm good, yeah.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: May 08, 2017, 02:25:36 PM »
P5 - Finished this during forum maintenance, so copy pasting message to sopko and deleting some spoilers, so this is shortens in no particular order.

Google suggest Lavenza is probably a reference to Elizabeth Lavenza from Frankestein, that is cute.

I have 0 fucking clue why the MC would leave Tokyo at the end of the game.

The whole last arc goes on way too long, game is good.  Way better than P3, not as good as P4 Golden.

Dragon Quest 5 - slow progress but getting places.  Naming he main Fenrir was a good pick because this is the most Fenrir DQ game I have played.  It is weird and Pokémon but early game will randomly just crush your face if dice rolls don't like you.  Getting monsters improves the balance a lot, but that might just be RPGs work when you have party members.  About to do request quest for Mirror of Ra to show someone's true form.

Dragon Quest Heroes - so the sequel came out and I figured I should finish this.  It was okay.  End game is more fun for me than grinding out Hyrule Warriors after game which is way too judgey.  Kinda looking forward to getting to 2 on PC.

Things I didn't think, I would post positiviely about 15 years ago.  SMT, Dragon Quest and Musuo.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: May 08, 2017, 07:04:35 PM »
P5 - Bought a PS4 mostly to play this game, currently on Palace 2. I don't think I've seen a Persona as aesthetically polished as this, which is quite a hell of a feat - granted, it being actually PRETTY this time around also helps, but damn, they really stepped up the ante for this. I feel like I'm doing a goddamned mess out of the game schedule, but this is pretty much how it goes for me on a first playthrough.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #554 on: May 08, 2017, 09:33:01 PM »
Fear not, my tiny Brazillian friend. There's plenty of time to do a lot of stuff if you're familiar with how Persona time management works. The goals here are the same in the other two. There will be tests, and other things that require social stats. The best thing to do is figure out what activities give the best and double up whenever possible. Some S-Links give points in social stats too, for instance!

Grefbro: ALL the Velvet Room attendant names are from Frankenstein.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: May 08, 2017, 11:25:49 PM »
I know, going for the last name was just not one that was right there off the top of the dome mang, but I just spent a week listening to a YouTube lyric video for Beneath the Mask that consistently quotes "I pose Masquerade" where it is obviously "at Poe's Masquerade" in reference to The Masque of the Red Death and I can't fucking deal with people missing super obvious literary references any more.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: May 09, 2017, 12:54:16 AM »
On that note, I only just realized the strength of P4's psychology pun game.  "Junes" is a reference to June Singer, and the japanese slogan "Every day young life Junes!" is Carl Jung life.  It took a few years but we got there.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: May 09, 2017, 12:34:29 PM »
Fear not, my tiny Brazillian friend. There's plenty of time to do a lot of stuff if you're familiar with how Persona time management works. The goals here are the same in the other two. There will be tests, and other things that require social stats. The best thing to do is figure out what activities give the best and double up whenever possible. Some S-Links give points in social stats too, for instance!

Well, I have Chariot at R5 and Death at R6 if it's any consolation, and I literally just recruited Yusuke. Still bumbling somewhat at social stats, though. I also need to get Hierophant at R4.

Idly, being a -lot- more familiar with tarot symbolism nowadays, holy heck are the metaphors for the confidant links on the spot.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #558 on: May 09, 2017, 02:08:40 PM »
Always have been yo.  Even back in P2 (EP I guess, I didn't really think about IS) and the stronger associations.

Dragon Quest Heroes 2 - I figure Captain K is the only person that cares, so here is a review based on 20 minutes.

There is an area called Greena Pastures.

There is this party member.

You are welcome.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: May 09, 2017, 02:17:39 PM »
Always have been yo.  Even back in P2 (EP I guess, I didn't really think about IS) and the stronger associations.

Yeah, in retrospect you are correct, but actually getting to notice them off the bat is pretty interesting. Interested to see how far they go into it narratively, some of them are insanely on the nose off the bat (hi, Magician) while others simmer a little bit more in the symbolism.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: May 09, 2017, 02:35:24 PM »
Yea ain't meant to be throwing shade, more noting something they do well.  SMT loves to recycle its tropes and symbolism at the best of times.  Sometimes it just works well though.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: May 09, 2017, 04:47:48 PM »
Dragon Quest Heroes 2 - I figure Captain K is the only person that cares, so here is a review based on 20 minutes.

There is an area called Greena Pastures.

There is this party member.

You are welcome.

That's not an Ugly Old Man, but I do like a big axe.  Is Melvin playable?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: May 09, 2017, 07:18:50 PM »
Wait why is DQ5 the most Fenrir DQ

Persona 5: Guys I don't really understand the lyrics of the "just chilling walking around town during the evening" song. But I somehow hear "an empty bladder" at one point during the song. Since I've played this for 73 hours and you hear this song all the fucking time, I am pretty sure I have sung along "An empty blaaadder" approximatively 150 times, at least

The new recruit is such an obvious temp considering its confidant bonuses. If it ends up being the traitor I am going to roll my eyes so hard

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: May 09, 2017, 09:06:16 PM »
Persona 5:  I just fought this boss (boat spoilers):

http://i.huffpost.com/gen/1479022/thumbs/o-DALI-900.jpg?2 (NSFW) -> http://i.ytimg.com/vi/GvtRoWk0fAo/mqdefault.jpg -> http://pa1.narvii.com/5782/39e076370e4015c8188e26e89793a4fe1e114d5e_hq.gif

I knew Ann would be hardest hit by Ryuji's death because I play with the characters on AI control.  AI Ann always heals Ryuji first, even if other characters need it more.  Nice little touch there.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: May 09, 2017, 09:54:22 PM »
Wait why is DQ5 the most Fenrir DQ

Because it is the only game in the series where you play the son of a hero, get to pick from three wives and then have kids, one of who is the hero of prophecy, but your main character isn't the big prophecised hero of legend.  Because it is the game in the main series that leans hardest into Dragon Quest Pokémon.  Because the start of the game will happily throw you up against mobs of 7 or 8 enemies and it won't be all slimes.

DQ5 I am playing might be a remake but it is the one that feels like it is trying the most ideas other than 9 and DQ9s ideas were mostly mobile gaming related.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: May 10, 2017, 05:38:10 PM »
P5

Dungeon  6 or 7. Idk.

Lv 63 at around 88 hous played.

Fun game. I was sad temp character was temp, but it made too much sense...plus he's pretty strong and he stands out.

Ah well. Game threw me a curve and now I'm cruising.

I'm at that point where the new pokemon are all starting to look cool. Maxing out a certain confidant really breaks the game.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: May 10, 2017, 06:02:21 PM »
Games I played: more Future Tone.  I can quit any time.  Lemme just uh.  Do a couple more songs then I'm good, yeah.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: May 10, 2017, 07:50:25 PM »
I've been playing some Twilight Struggle on the PC. Been mostly playing the computer and giving it +10 influence in any country that it already has influence in at the beginning of the game. It's been decently competitive with that modification.

Anyway, in the most recent game as the USSR, I drew the worst hand I've ever seen without DEFCON suicide cards. Ussuri River Skirmish, Voice of America, Five Year Plan, Bear Trap, Nuclear Subs, Puppet Governments, Nixon Plays the China Card, and a bit of low Ops trash. I had used the China Card on the previous turn because there was an action that I needed 4 Ops to make work. The only USSR card I drew is Liberation Theology, and I had to use it for Ops because I was so up shit creek. Obviously PG and Nixon were played for Ops (Nixon quickly so I wouldn't have to give up the China Card after he used it) I can't really recall ever using Bear Trap on myself, but I ended up doing that, tossing URS, and then space racing Voice of America. Five Year Plan ended up being the hold card because it was pretty pointless to use but isn't that dangerous without those other terrible cards to make it a hinderance. As it turned out, I drew a terrible Scoring Card next turn and gladly used Five Year Plan to toss it.

I started a replay of XCOM. I'd kind of forgotten how to play, so I have just been playing on the standard difficulty. If I am still in the mood for another playthrough by the time I am done, I might turn up the difficulty.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 07:53:43 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: May 10, 2017, 10:25:48 PM »
Salt + Sanctuary: God I love the vita port

I cleared the Dome and got the hardlight brand. The game vaguely tells you that you can now do stuff with the purple clouds. *notices cloud on a ledge* oh cool then I'll - *goes right pass through it to his doom* the fuck *checks gamefaqs*
OK so to use the brand you need to have your torch out. Sure.

I am playing a mage and this game does the Dark Souls thing of mages having allright spells but no juice, but keep playing and raising magic and soon you'll 1) have more MP potions 2) do more base damage 3) have better spells
You get more resources but also spend less mp to kill enemies and soon enough MP worries evaporate. And spells are pretty OP.

There is this magic imbalance thing: if you use too many lightning spells in a row you take damage and need to use fire spells to counteract that, and vice versa. You get a ring that completely reoves this effect from the get go and so I thought this was wasted? But nah I removed the ring for min/maxing and things are going fine. Alternating between elements is fun.

The game has a huge ass game world but it has no map (like Dark Souls) and lacks recognizable landmarks within levels (unlike Dark Souls) Honestly it's really easy to just get lost all the time. OP spells alleviate this somewhat.

I feel there are more visually arresting moments on the vita, while everything was kind of a blur on PS4. The sense of scale is as good, and amplified by the lack of a map. Climbing the ziggurat is my favourite part about this.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #569 on: May 10, 2017, 11:16:29 PM »
I think my favorite part is just that past a certain point you only keep going down and somehow there are still more things down even though this becomes increasingly implausible physically.

Fenrir make sure you try the magic scissor greatsword this time. It's exactly what it sounds like and it's so dumb.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: May 10, 2017, 11:42:13 PM »
I think my favorite part is just that past a certain point you only keep going down and somehow there are still more things down even though this becomes increasingly implausible physically.

Yeah!  Really loved that about Dark Souls as well.  Going from the Burg down its sewer systems and oh here's Blighttown and look there's a swamp waaaaaaay below us and ok we're at the swamp now and it's definitely the bottom wait what's up with this little passage um ok guess there's something below the swamp and WHOA bosstime and ok the bell, which is in a tower for some reason even though we're underneath literally everything and wait there are ruins now?  Sweet! (disclaimer: ruins actually not too sweet. but existence of ruins, beneath all that? sweet!)

See also Dark Souls 2.  What's down the well?  A lot of stuff, and stuff beneath that stuff, and then even more stuff, and then, if you find 'em anyway, giants. because why not.
« Last Edit: May 10, 2017, 11:44:11 PM by NotMiki »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: May 11, 2017, 04:48:20 AM »

Trails of Cold Steel II - I have a lot I could write about since the forums were down, but I'm just gonna whine about this.  At least *4* times so far (Ymir townsfolk, Fiona, Irina R, airline hostages), nameless mercenaries in trouble have threatened to hurt/kill a civilian nearby or a hostage if the Good Guys didn't back off.  The first time went very, very wrong, and had something approaching the gravity of this situation with at least some consequences.  Every time since has always had some deus ex machina reinforcement show up to save the day.  Seriously, it's almost to the point of parody by now.  It's especially aggravating in cases where it's right after you the player won the battle, and the jaegers just get back up afterward, because, and do their threatening.  Look, if OUR gigantic skulls coming up from the floor and flame explosions don't kill you outright, then *your* nerf swords shouldn't be killing these civilians either, at least not very quickly.  Ugh.

More generally, this game just loooooooooooooves having surprise bullshit into surprise bullshit.  Now SOME of this is fine, don't get me wrong.  But when every plot fight begins or ends with one side showing off their cool trap, or having surprise reinforcements come in from off-screen to save the day, or whatever, it gets really old.  Having weirdly good timing to always show up when trouble starts is fine, but it kinda takes away from the player's accomplishment a little if the bad guys ALWAYS get back up and do some BS, then have it be countered by OTHER BS, usually some ally showing up.  The best I can say is that at least this sometimes happens for the PC side too, where the villains win a plot fight then get counter-BS'd by PC plot powerz or the like, but still.  Let me just win and have it be all my efforts that carry the day sometimes, please.  (I'm even excluding Valimar from this.)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: May 11, 2017, 08:20:29 AM »

P2 is actually the Persona that did all the symbolism thing the best.
Kaneko did a mind blowing job in connecting the tarots to the persona design with Greek Mythology on top, and then blends into the actual characters.
It was amazingly done. Modern Persona simply cannot compete.
Which also fueled a lot of my complain on P3 when it took a million steps backward.
It really took too long for them to finally taking steps forward again in P5...
« Last Edit: May 11, 2017, 08:37:43 AM by Niu »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: May 11, 2017, 08:33:27 AM »
Trails of Cold Steel II - I have a lot I could write about since the forums were down, but I'm just gonna whine about this.  At least *4* times so far (Ymir townsfolk, Fiona, Irina R, airline hostages), nameless mercenaries in trouble have threatened to hurt/kill a civilian nearby or a hostage if the Good Guys didn't back off.  The first time went very, very wrong, and had something approaching the gravity of this situation with at least some consequences.  Every time since has always had some deus ex machina reinforcement show up to save the day.  Seriously, it's almost to the point of parody by now.  It's especially aggravating in cases where it's right after you the player won the battle, and the jaegers just get back up afterward, because, and do their threatening.  Look, if OUR gigantic skulls coming up from the floor and flame explosions don't kill you outright, then *your* nerf swords shouldn't be killing these civilians either, at least not very quickly.  Ugh.

More generally, this game just loooooooooooooves having surprise bullshit into surprise bullshit.  Now SOME of this is fine, don't get me wrong.  But when every plot fight begins or ends with one side showing off their cool trap, or having surprise reinforcements come in from off-screen to save the day, or whatever, it gets really old.  Having weirdly good timing to always show up when trouble starts is fine, but it kinda takes away from the player's accomplishment a little if the bad guys ALWAYS get back up and do some BS, then have it be countered by OTHER BS, usually some ally showing up.  The best I can say is that at least this sometimes happens for the PC side too, where the villains win a plot fight then get counter-BS'd by PC plot powerz or the like, but still.  Let me just win and have it be all my efforts that carry the day sometimes, please.  (I'm even excluding Valimar from this.)

And you wonder why people are praising Trails writing so much when the game has already taken this style of writing since Trails of Zero.

Anyway, this trend gets worse., and gets completely shameless in this style when you hit the Blazing Demon Castle.
God, I was head-desking so hard in that dungeon.

The meta direction of the writing also gets increasingly FF13, which is out right bad and scary. Ultimately devoid the player's sense of accomplishment.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: May 11, 2017, 08:39:17 AM »
Oh I definitely agree with all of this. Salt and Sanctuary's nature also means that the surface feels safe and familiar while the firther you get down below the more complicated, murderous and unfamiliar it gets. Like, the bandit camp / castle / dome and even ziggurat all feel relatively comfy, while areas like the ruined temple just feel like a nightmare of passages going god knows where.

I really don't need a two handed weapon, on the other I really need giant scissors. Hmmmm