Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253888 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1300 on: March 17, 2010, 06:39:12 AM »
Lotsa HxH talk in here so I'm checking it out.  11 episodes in and I think I'm enjoying it a bit too much, but that's mainly because I am an absolute sucker for multiple stage tests that weed out participants.  I find myself studying the dynamic of the test as much as watching the show.  The characters are good enough to keep my interested and I am curious to see what they do with a lot of the other participants like the Ninja/Magician/Brothers/RookieSmasher.

We're talking about the HxH manga, which has been scientifically proven to be 7.944x more awesome than the anime. It's much better paced and far more brutal than the anime.

I've got no beef with the anime.  It hews very close to the manga, and the only thing it adds is actually really cool (episode 25).  after the first OVA is pretty mediocre, though.

And yeah, 12 Kingdoms is awesome, especially the first arc.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 06:41:02 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1301 on: March 17, 2010, 06:43:23 AM »
The HxH anime put me to sleep. I'll admit that it was relatively close, but it managed to make HxH boring to me

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1302 on: March 17, 2010, 05:48:06 PM »
The HxH anime put me to sleep. I'll admit that it was relatively close, but it managed to make HxH boring to me

I thought the pacing of this show was pretty good.  The only two parts that have gotten slow to me were "Gon letting Ninja beat him up for ages, Ninja concedes."  Then a few episodes later.  "Gon let's crazy haired chick beat him up for a while, crazy haired chick concedes."

As per a discussion on IRC with Soppy, I'll probably switch to the Manga for the next arc and see how I like it.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1303 on: March 17, 2010, 09:17:01 PM »
As a note, the Hunter's Exam is the first 37 chapters in the manga. Hmm... I THINK you just did where they go to Killua's house? Next arc I think is the Celestial Tower which is... kinda meh in both. York Shin City is the shit.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1304 on: March 20, 2010, 02:08:38 PM »
Gundam 00 Volume 5-

Volume of Bad Times For Saji.

A bunch of pieces about Celestial Being are falling into place and it is being fairly compelling. And now I need to wait another month for the rest and it is saddening. And there is currently no sign of Season 2 beginning to come out the month after that and it is even more saddening, although as they never used to reveal the release schedule for the second month ahead and only started that this month, I can always hope that it isn't finalised yet.

Gigantor-

Through to episode 16.

I'm not sure why it is, but the show really drags as I watch it. It has the same sort of really lame humour that I enjoy, and they go through villains like they're going out of style, and Jimmy can fly a jet plane. With one hand. Controlling Gigantor with the other. But I vaguely dread putting it on. It is a mystery.

Gundam SEED Astray R-

Finished.

I am not a fan of the art style by any stretch of the imagination. The guy has a fondness for making scenes far too busy and I gave up caring too much on trying to figure out what exactly I was looking at in a large number of scenes. They are also a fan of having Kisala and the Professor scantily clad. Meanwhile the vast majority of the rest of the characters are hideous, most prodigiously Kenov and Ash. Even Lowe catches the hideous at several points, although Gai manages to get through relatively unscathed but then again he isn't in it all that much anyway.

Hm, whereas the byword in regular Astray is wacky-over-the-toppery the byword in Astray R seems to be attitude. Not an improvement. There are a number of good scenes, such as skewering a battleship with the 150, but on the whole I was looking for more regular Astray and I was disappointed. Also, nowhere near enough George.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1305 on: March 21, 2010, 01:41:51 AM »
Negima: The uses of Pactio are so varied.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1306 on: March 21, 2010, 04:09:20 AM »
Gear Fighter Dendoh 1-4: First couple episodes have been compellingly fun. Dendoh's gears make the fights on Earth a lot of fun, and Cyber Weapons seem cool enough. Main characters are little kids that manage to act their age without being terribly annoying, and Vega is a badass hottie.

Fukuda seems to like battery powered mechs, huh?
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1307 on: March 21, 2010, 11:58:16 AM »
Negima: The uses of Pactio are so varied.

How does it go? Something something is the best, put your aunt to the test?

EDIT: The ending of Railgun was nice... but 24 episodes was waaaay too long. Half a show's worth of filler was unnecessary and they didn't even touch on the Numbers arc. If they do a second season I hope they keep it to 13 eps, if that.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 07:55:11 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1308 on: March 23, 2010, 03:53:06 AM »
Slayers Revolution-  $50 funi?  Really?  Oh well.  Anyways, starts strong, loses some steam towards the end (which actually is unusual for the series... normally there's some middle sag then the end kicks it up to epic.  THEN AGAIN, this is fairly obviously half a season pretending to be a full one, so that makes sense.)  Anyway, the filler bits were good, and I can't say enough for episode 1 and how perfect it was for "Hey, we're reviving Slayers.  Have fun", but the end suffers a bit from having the entire cast kinda pull a Gourry and completely forget everything they should already know about who they're fighting.  You've already done the "spells don't work" bit, guys! 
Oh well, entertaining.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1309 on: March 23, 2010, 08:26:01 AM »
E's- Finished final volume...... I... I feel like to puke. I mean, two times in a row now, Satoru san. Two times in a row you have destroyed your own work simply by fucking everything up in the final volume!!!
God, Eiji killing Satomi felt terribly forced, Shinru's death is just boring as hell. Eiji's motive is also dumb as hell, there is so many way to fix Hikaru's problem yet he has to go for the worst..... And Yuki end up felling useless......
God, can you please stop fucking things up with poorly written final volumes???

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1310 on: March 26, 2010, 02:45:31 AM »
Katanagatari ep 3: Meisai should have been the main female. Any female in the series but Togame would have been better. (Cheerio is the most groan inducing thing ever. Actually, any comedic attempts involving her are.)

Fucking jobber enemies ruining great dialogues. Shifting the rest of the backstory to the fight was... not great. At least Shichika is interesting.

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1311 on: March 26, 2010, 08:45:49 AM »
So I watched a decent amount of stuff recently, figured I would talk about them.  Finished TTGL about a month or so ago, amazing anime.  I had actually started it earlier, but dropped it after the hotspring episode in a bout of facepalm, though after watching the whole thing I was kind of mad at myself for doing so.  After that episode, the anime is kind of like a snowball of awesome rolling down a hill, it just keeps getting bigger and bigger until you have an oversized ball of awesome by the end.

It rather left a feeling that anything I watched immediately after wouldn't seem as good, so I decided to just watch a something random that I haven't looked into at all, and decided on Kurohime.  The anime itself actually started out decent, and I was actually surprised at how into it I was despite it being somewhat predictable.  Then a certain character dies, and while I knew it was going to happen from pretty early on, the show ends up just slowly collapsing in on itself from that point on.  For some reason after that point the character interactions just seemed to fall apart, doesn't help that the villain cast ends up being either uninteresting or just WHAAA... in terms of motivation.  Anime also suffers by trying to have a darkish tone and just failing it up miserably with the overall lightheartedness when there isn't fighting, though I could be misremembering it since it's been like a month since I've seen it.  Would probably peg the show around average collectively, with the first half being above and the second below.

Watched Kurozuka, which is interesting, if a bit confusing.  The anime can be a bit hard to follow at times, but once you get to the ending, everything just kind of falls into place.  You end up feeling really bad for the main character's situation, and also while I don't want to give it away, Kuro herself probably makes the likes of Aizen jealous for the amount of mind fuckery she pulls on the main character.  It's a decently interesting anime for dark humor, though it has a few weird segments that kind of bring it down a bit.

After those two, watched Phantom: Requiem for the Phantom.  I honestly liked this series alot, up until like the last 3-4 episodes, at which point things from being believably realistic in nature to just sort of "WHAT?"  Putting that aside, I found Ein's and Zwei's interactions to be a joy to watch.  Seeing Zwei attempt to free Ein and himself from the underworld that they were forcibly dragged into, despite Ein's own resistance to the notion of being free, was really damn interesting to me.  It was an amazing anime to watch, and then near the end there's a battle that just kind of makes you go uggghhhh, and then after that brief stint it goes back to not failing and ends with a bittersweet ending.  Really high quality in my opinion, not quite perfect, but pretty close, if only that one stint near the end didn't bring the overall experience down so much.

Most recent thing I watched is Black Lagoon, which is just pure unadulterated awesome.  Pretty much moving this up to my favorite Seinen.  Revy is awesome, Rock is awesome, Balalaika is just pure amazing win.  It's a surprisingly thematic  anime, and the back and forth between the characters in and out of battles is done really damn well.  The battles themselves basically fall into the unbelievable shoot em up type when Revi is involved, but they're still really damn interesting and well done.  The blend of existential themes and action in this anime are just amazing to me, I honestly can't wait for the third season to come out this year.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1312 on: March 27, 2010, 06:55:52 PM »
Durarara ep 12. This show is fucking brilliant. Why aren't you lamers watching it? It's even better than Baccano at this point.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1313 on: March 28, 2010, 02:45:21 AM »
Durarara ep 12. This show is fucking brilliant. Why aren't you lamers watching it? It's even better than Baccano at this point.

What makes you assume I am not??
Though, I am probably watching it for a different reason than you do.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1314 on: March 28, 2010, 02:55:36 AM »

It wouldn't surprise me. It's ridiculously easy to make pairings.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1315 on: March 28, 2010, 07:51:16 AM »

And just look at the VA cast, they are perfect BL baits.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1316 on: March 28, 2010, 12:41:36 PM »
Tekkaman Blade -

I had been hoping that Madman would pick up the license to Teknoman to celebrate the release of Tatsunoko vs Capcom. Sadly, it seems that they do not run their business according to whimsy. However, Gray Phantom just recently finished subbing the show, so I acquired that instead.

I really enjoyed it. However, it couldn't keep a consistent level of quality up.

On the one hand, there were parts of the show that affected me more than usual. On the other hand, the fighting descends into DBZ-lights-ramming-each-other-teleporting-around lamery. I don't really have that much of a problem with the latter, but... I really don't feel that it matched the show.

On the one hand, I love the backstory concept. On the other hand, the backstory provided does not cover everyone possible and there is no reason why it shouldn't have had. Two people we don't find out anything more than their names, two more we find out more about but very little. Especially galling that one in particular of these by all rights should have had a vastly larger part in the backstory.

I was also happy to see that they didn't pull a BoFV at the end. TB2 nonwithstanding.

Tekkaman Blade: Burning Clock -

Shinya whines for 9 minutes. Plus his mother commits a bizarrely foolish act but 'fortunately' the laws of physics appear to have been on vacation at the time.

Tekkaman Blade: Twin Blood -

It is differently designed Blade and Evil fighting each other and it is not particularly worthwhile unless you are a big fan of the fighting. I am not.

Tekkaman Blade: Missing Link -

Okay
If you asked me before I watched this, what is the least likely thing I would expect to see in a mini-OVA set between Tekkaman Blade I & II
All things being equal I am not likely to say: One particular individual effectively raping another apparently still brain-damaged individual while berating said person for being impotent
And yet if you asked me now what the most objectionable part was

what
what
what
what
what
what
what
what
what

plus there were a bunch of short scenes that didn't make all that much sense generally, including what appeared to be a particular character being killed off but they appeared in Tekkaman Blade II.
potentially I should rewatch this segment now that I have more information in those regards

Tekkaman Blade II (unlike the previous, this was subbed by Anime-4-ever and not Gray Phantom in case you care about that sort of thing) -

Thhhhh. The first segment with the alien tekkamen was pathetic. They had barely any more personality than regular Radam monsters, and what little personality they did show led to an appallingly stupid scene. I have a vague idea that for the first segment we were supposed to only care about Yumi and tangentially the happy sunglassed man, but Yumi is not a particularly worthwhile character in herself. The second segment was a fair improvement, focusing on David and tangentially on Aki and there was a villain that actually interacted with the characters. I heard somewhere that II was actually intended to be longer than it was, and some of the later events in David's segment did provide a way to hook in a segment focusing on Natasha, but I guess that is a nonconcern now. Ah well.

Neither of the major returning characters needed to be here. They aren't the same characters as they supposedly are. One of them sort of has an excuse but that same excuse is strenuously declaring that it really means that they really, really shouldn't be in any position to be involved. As long as they were going to be different people anyway, they should have been replaced with new characters altogether and relegated the two to cameos if that. Some parts of the storyline would have to be rewritten to account for one of them not being the character they claim to be but as they currently stand they're pretty dumb sections of the storyline anyway so this would not exactly have been a great loss.

How the heck did the military manage to not only rebuild to such an extent within five years, but to also become corrupted to such an extent within that timeframe. Colbert in Tekkaman Blade is at least partially understandable, and he becomes unhinged as events move on (and when things come to a head they are seriously not helped by Freeman being bizarrely reticent with vital information until far too late), but Pavlova/whatever here seems to just be a bastard. I guess things aren't helped by the limited screentime he gets.

Gigantor -

Finished volume 1.

Gigantor punched a shark into another shark, and good times were had by all.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1317 on: March 28, 2010, 11:56:58 PM »

And just look at the VA cast, they are perfect BL baits.

I've got to say I'm with Niu on this one.  Hiroshi Kamiya and Daisuke Ono are certainly perfect BL baits.  <333

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1318 on: March 29, 2010, 08:36:09 AM »
And not to mention Toyonaka and Miyano are right next to each other. Soran... I mean Kishio beign around is also a decent surprise. The director must have carefully calculated on what's fan girls' favorite.

BTW, this show is actually in the same world as Baccano.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2010, 08:41:56 AM by Niu »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1319 on: March 29, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
And not to mention Toyonaka and Miyano are right next to each other. Soran... I mean Kishio beign around is also a decent surprise. The director must have carefully calculated on what's fan girls' favorite.

BTW, this show is actually in the same world as Baccano.

Issac and Marie make that obvious.

Also episode 12 ruled.  Hard.  And all that praise.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1320 on: March 29, 2010, 03:16:31 PM »
Please tell me Walter is descended from Chic?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1321 on: March 31, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Just finished A Certain Magical Index/A Certain Scientific Railgun. While the shows fall victim to countless tropes that generic anime include (including several that I find repulsive), I can't deny that I liked them. Index managed to have a fair amount of interesting setups after the first arc, and while Railgun suffered from being stretched with filler episodes, the purpose was to throw in a slice-of-life for the four main characters and get you attached to them, which it did adequately. Railgun also had a much stronger narrative than Index, since it focused on what amounted to one overarching plot thread with a few subplots.

I will totally not look at coins the same way again. Although honestly at 1200 m/s a coin of about 6 grams (little heavier than a quarter) could kill you but it wouldn't cause NEARLY as much damage as the show implies. It's a little faster than an M16 round but obviously not shaped for penetration. Also the principle behind what she does is coilgun, not railgun since it is contactless (there are no 'rails') Her 'railgun's' energy should be about on par with one single gram of TNT. By comparison, the energy in an honest-to-god lightning strike (which she is capable of) is enough to melt a ton of fucking steel. Funny how that is less hyped by the show, huh?
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 04:42:35 PM by Pyro »

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1322 on: March 31, 2010, 06:34:35 PM »
Physics

Rule of cool. Apparently the show is made of it.

(I've already heard it from /a/)
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1323 on: March 31, 2010, 08:55:07 PM »
Physics

Rule of cool. Apparently the show is made of it.

(I've already heard it from /a/)

Yep. The animators/writers probably just opened a physics textbook/went on Wikipedia and looked up the average speed of a railgun for the number.

Index is still the better show though, despite the title character being a waste of ink.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1324 on: March 31, 2010, 10:30:32 PM »
It would make sense if the muzzle velocity was 30x faster or so. Or if the coins were made of something ungodly heavy. (Or if she was constantly accelerating it against any and all resisting forces somehow, thus imparting it with energy at the impact)). Still, it's kind of funny to give numbers and be off by well over an order of magnitude.

http://anime.scripts.mit.edu/miteiru/a-certain-scientific-analysis/

if you want a more amusing analysis.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 10:32:23 PM by Pyro »