Author Topic: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 1~  (Read 5922 times)

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 1~
« on: March 23, 2009, 02:25:44 AM »
Here we go again, with another round of melodic mayhem for your voting pleasure.  The rules are similar to previous incarnations: for the main and anime brackets, vote for the song you prefer.  For the one Failure match in each pool, however, vote for the most epic failure of the two songs.  All song names are Putfile links for your convenience, please only vote after hearing each song.  For round one the pools will be open for one week, so pool 1 will be closing at midnight EST on Sunday, March 29.  Also, if I misunderstood a name and grabbed the wrong song please let me know ASAP so I can fix it.  And now, without any further ado, let the contest commence!

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX)
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2)
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3)
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs)
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2)
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX)
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5)

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide)

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir)
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound)

Full pool download available here: http://www.flyupload.com/?fid=374442980
« Last Edit: April 07, 2009, 04:27:45 AM by Yakumo »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: Music Tournament of DOOM Vol. 2 ~Pool 1~
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2009, 04:13:23 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2)
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX): Piss poor luck for Opening.

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound)

Full versions?  Huh....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2009, 04:20:55 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin): Vastly more my style.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX): Merciless Savior's instrumentations reminds me of XS2 BGMs. That's not a good thing. Choir parts are better, but not saving the piece as a whole.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2): Crappy name for such a nifty song. Anyway, it is the latter portion of Sea of Rage, but with better orchestration. I can dig that.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3): Just can't care how out-of-date the sound quality it is, it's an excellent composition. Halo track is actually sorta neat but it is an uphill battle here.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs): Prettier.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2): Nefertiti needed to loop. It's still awesome, though.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX): Hmm. GGX version of this song is better, I think. Still, XS2 didn't produce much I cared about even from the listenable half of the soundtrack (Jin vs. Margulis music is about it) so it's still an easy win.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5): Apathy.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide): This is tough. XS2 music is aggrivating sludge, but...~ten seconds of eight-bit melody on loop indefinitely? Now, that is spectacular failure.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir): Generally speaking, the Cid is going to prefer drama over silliness when it comes to music.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound): This and Canta Per Me should be a finals match.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 04:23:58 AM by El Cideon »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2009, 05:04:27 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs)- Nostalgia vote. SH2 Alice theme was better anyway.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2)- Metal Harbor sounds like waaaaay too much generic 90's ska.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5)- Another nostalgia vote.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide)- Second Miltia sounds like it was made in Hydlide's day.

ANIME
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound)- Poor Poltergeist... you deserved so much better than to get slaughtered in the first round.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2009, 05:10:02 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Not particularly close.

The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Y'know, Otherworld could really do without the incomprehensible barking lyrics.  Not that it has much going for it in the first place.  Merciless Savior isn't wonderful, granted, but hey.

Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Champ material

Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Yep.

Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs) - Eh.

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Uhh... sure, I'll go with this.  Neither is that great, to be honest.

Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Feel a Fear has almost nothing going for it.

- Yeah, again, neither is that great.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - Hydlide sounds like a horrid, uninspired Indiana Jones theme ripoff, yes, but anyone can do that, it's more annoying than anything else.  Second Miltia sounds like it'd be the theme song of a Shion/KOS-MOS date and "wins" because good god Shion/KOS-MOS kill it with fire.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Cucumber-Flavored Beer-level songs do not win against songs with actual quality.

Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - And once more, a matchup of meh.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2009, 05:22:39 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)- Mmm.  Feeling too lazy to check two tracks I don't know.  Pass.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3)- Pass.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2)- Mm.  Metal Harbor has a good rhythm, but Nefertiti just stands out too much.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX)- Sure.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5)- Hum.  Yeah, I'm pretty partial to this melody.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide)- I listened to about 30 seconds of Hydelide and didn't want to destroy all that live.  Therefore, fails less.

ANIME
« Last Edit: March 23, 2009, 08:37:18 PM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2009, 06:29:25 AM »
A very solid start to the tourney.  Lots of genuinely awesome music here - Enemy Attack / Ur-Quan Masters / XS2 Opening Theme are all godlike, and Lufia 2 Boss / One Final Effort / Alice / Nefertiti are all excellent.  Almost all of the rest are at least good.

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Close match.  I like both, but Iron Blue feels a bit repetitive in its tone.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Was never really an Otherworld fan, though I will admit it works in game.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Extremely godlike match, these are both awesome.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Oh, close.  Good taste in picking the Halo3 song, it stood out in-game as one of the better ones.  On the other hand, the Lufia 2 boss theme is a great melodic work (though I wish it was a wee bit faster in tempo).  Coin flip, both are very good in their respective roles.  Hmm, will give it another listen later.  (Edit: Tossing Lufia the vote here, but OFE is still great.)
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs) - Eh, not the greatest version of Into the Wilderness.  I like the straight opening version better, or the WA4 remix.  Meanwhile Alice is haunting and awesome.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Nefertiti loops too soon, which is a non-trivial problem...  but Metal Harbor feels like it's missing something, though it is pretty good.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Not feeling the fear hype, and the XS2 Opening Theme is beautiful.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - They're both good, but kind of pale compared to the rest of the pool.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - Bias against short loop tracks for being a true failure (though, from a strict clinical perspective, Hydlide is worse here).  Second Miltia is old Phantasy Star music gone horribly wrong.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Um yeah.  (EDIT: Though I am half-tempted to vote Soramimi strictly to get a perfect left-side sweep here.)
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - It's been said.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2009, 06:33:08 PM by SnowFire »

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2009, 06:32:50 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Less inclination to sleep.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Saviour starts strong, but goes too long to best this master of the rocking arts.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Better than I recall it for some reason.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Not Lufia
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs) - Not close, would have been not closer if it had been the Intro-Into the Wilderness instead of whatever that piece was that takes forever to hit the good bit.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Gust is better at music than Sonic.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Nice and melodic, while the GGX2 piece is somewhat discordant.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - One of my favourite melodies from Xg against something I found discordant.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - Justbecause the game fails doesn't mean the music has to.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Don't like Azumanga opening that much.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - Oddly Catchy.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
MAIN TOURNAMENT
- Stickerbursh is great, but held back by the subpar synth.  On the other hand, Iron Blue Intention is unspecial Castlevania music, so it's enough.

- Not a huge fan of The Merciless Savior but it owns the hell out of Otherworld.

- Enemy Attack is amazing.  Star Control 2 song is goodish too, but not enough.

- I do like Lufia 2's battle themes.

- I thought Alice was something different.  Not a big fan of this one.  Am a fan of Into the Wilderness though, obviously~

- Huh, Metal Harbor is quite a bit better than I thought it would be.  Still, Nefertiti rocks more face.  Also, if it took longer to loop you wouldn't hear it all in-game!

- Significantly more beautiful.  Although Feel a Fear is more interesting than most GG music I've heard.  Well, some of the time.

- Huh, thought The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You was a different song.  Oh well, this one's good too.  Like most WA5 music!

FAILURE BRACKET
- I was expecting worse.  Otherworld is more failure than both of these.

ANIME
- Canta Per Me > most things, let alone... whatever the heck that was.

- Meh.

Tonfa

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 11:56:13 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX): Would have nommed this myself if it wasn't on a high nom already.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX): Hmm, Opening is quite nice.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5): Not exactly tournament winning material *cough* but it'll do.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide): Dating sim music from hell outfails freakin' Hydlide. Go go XS.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) Seeing Soramimi Cake reminds me of why oh why did I not remember to nom Raspberry Heaven? Far, far superior. Anyhow, this one's pretty simple.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound): Huh. Thinking Rise is the first new keeper of the tournament for me.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 11:44:15 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #11 on: March 24, 2009, 03:28:35 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Both are good. The nostalgia factor is enough to give Stickerbrush Symphony the win, methinks. Close match either way.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Merciless Savior is good times. My only real complaint is that I wish the awesome vocals lasted longer than 40 seconds. Otherworld, on the other hand, is garbage.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space (Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Isn't it funny how the one Tales game no one ever talks about happens to have the best soundtrack in the series.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - As someone who has never approached within 20 feet of a Halo game, I have to say that One Final Effort was quite a pleasant surprise.

Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Rawk.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Opening was kind of...bleh. Feel a Fear has energy, at least.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - Road to Tomorrow is very catchy.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Militia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - This is the kind of thing people are forced to listen to it Hell. Hydlide on an endless loop. *shudder*

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Ouch. Adorable little Soramimi Cake never stood a chance. Although, in its favor, it does have a more delicious sounding title.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - Rise is awesome. It's really going to be tough to beat.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2009, 05:24:59 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Inspires more of an ~ reaction~
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Better lyrics~
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - More pewpewpew~
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Token aiel hype
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs) - I was all set to vote the WA track for being rocking and then it wasn't rocking
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Tallychu can have a bone too
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - ~rocking~
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - Xenogears doesn't have music at all

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - Hydlide never fails

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - champchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchampchamp
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - Hey, these are both cool~
« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 02:44:11 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2009, 05:26:47 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin)- Stickerbrush is shockingly good. IBI's solid but not memorable till it hits 1:20 or so. Then it blows Stickerbrush out of the water. Wow.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX)- Synthing issues.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2)- ToL track is solid. The Ur-Quan piece is just stunning.  Love love love the feel of the piece and the actual quality is top notch.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3)- What Cid said, with more respect to the Halo track.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs)- Too much dead time at the start of into the wilderness.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2)- Pretty solid.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX)- A good XS2 track? Lies.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5)- Not Zzz worthy.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide)- Hydlide music makes you think of a quick death (of your main.) Second Milita makes me think of Shion.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir)- Oh, I remember this track! No match for Canta.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound)- No coment needed.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2009, 06:42:46 AM »
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs.Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) -Why Not

The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX)- One of my top three favorite Falcom tracks vs. something else. Falcom, you seriously needs another battle theme of like this, the techno mix with the violin is just superb, and using the melody from the Sora no Kiseki vocal ver. is such a great idea.

Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2)- Great match, I'll just be the Masaru fanboy and let ToL gets by.

Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX)- Opening is prettier in general, while I don't find Feel a Fear to too good among GG musics.

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2009, 05:39:08 PM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Pretty. Don't see it lasting through many more rounds, but it's good enough to win this.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Merciless Savior defines the term "slow start"... But that's enough to let it beat Otherworld, in which the start is the only thing really going for it, IMO.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Hmm... Very close one. I'm gonna have to go with Enemy Attack, just because it seems like it's got a better composition - they sound about as good as each other, tbh.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Despite my hatred for most shooting games, I can't deny the awesomeness of this song.
Alice (Shadow Hearts) vs. Into the Wilderness~Into new Voyage~ (Wild ARMs) - Didn't think much of either, tbh. Basic can be good, but Alice struck me as a little too basic.
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Wo~ow. Metal Harbour was one of my noms, but Nefertiti is just made of pure awesome. I need to get the MK soundtrack, methinks... and MK.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Whoa. Both are damn good, but I just love this one. I need to get hold of this song.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - 10 seconds of this made me choose it over Faraway Promise, and it didn't get any worse after that.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - Wha...? I... I like both of these. :(  No vote.

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Not good, but not Soramimi Cake.
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - Rise is good, but Poltergeist is winning this mostly for the funky intro. Have to say, though, I think the singing really detracts from this song - simply having the backing music would be much better, IMO.

Soulgain

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2009, 01:53:40 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - This was a toughie, but Stickerbrush is a great song, and the level it plays in makes sure you will hear it.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - This is hard, they both aren't that amazing, but I'll go with what I know.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Star Control is amazing! what is this game?!
Nefertiti (Mana Khemia) vs. Metal Harbor (Sonic Adventure 2) - Sonic Adventure Brings back memories, the MK song is nice.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Feel a Fear is pretty intense, Opening 2 is also good

FAILURE BRACKET

Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - I like Second Miltia, it got a fun vibe to it.

ANIME

« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:55:15 AM by Flaya »

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2009, 03:15:15 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Oh man, this is a good match. I split to the former since it's good DK music while Iron Blue Intention is mediocre Castlevaina music.
The Merciless Savior (Legend of Heroes VI) vs. Otherworld (FFX) - Otherwise is horrible.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - Tough match, coinflip range. It's a bummer that they drew each other.
Opening (Xenosaga 2) vs. Feel a Fear (Guilty Gear XX) - Guilty Gear XX music for Godlike.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) The road.. is one of those songs that is catchier than it has any right to be. Dammit.

FAILURE BRACKET
Second Miltia (Xenosaga 2) vs. Hydlide (Hydlide) - What's wrong with Second Miltia? It's pretty good!

ANIME
Rise (Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex: 2nd Gig) vs. Poltergeist (Ghost Hound) - Pass, don't care.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2009, 03:19:45 AM by Dunefar »
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2009, 04:49:19 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2009, 07:55:33 AM »
Andy: Since having two computers open is too much trouble, I decided to do this with Ash. We're both voting that means! Yay! Exciting fun times. Our votes are chosen by committee (with things erring in her favor in case of disagreement, because I wanna sleep on the bed tonight).
Ash: Also because I punched him when he disagreed.
Andy: ;_; Without further ado, stuff:

MAIN TOURNAMENT
Andy: S'coo.
Ash: Better composition, I guess.

Andy & Ash: Merciless Savior isn't working. ;_;

Andy: Spiffy.
Ash: Epic angry piano always beats formless space opera.

Andy: I loves me my old skool SNES-era beats. Who needs instruments. Midi 4 life.
Ash: I actually liked One Final Effort. It just sounded like it recycled a phrase from every major motion picture soundtrack from the last 10 years.

Andy: It is Alice.
Ash: Isolated piano and strings vs. MUZAK? Really? What's the competition there?

Andy: Would have been more awesome if it were Muppy's character song. Wins on that basis.
Ash: I enjoyed Nefertiti, but I always enjoy good metal music. Except then they had to ruin everything by adding TRUMPETS. Why? ;_; Nefertiti still probably would have won because it's awesome (especially for what it does in the game) but... disappointment in the competition does not make the victory so sweet.

Andy: Too many winners on the left.
Ash: The beginning of both songs had my opinion switched at first. But then the Opening stagnated and Feel a Fear got awesome. The split into three distinct pieces ~45 seconds in sold me on Feel a Fear.

Andy: Cooler title. Also. Spanish Guitar for Godlike.
Ash: I wanted to hate The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You because it dared to layer a jazz flute over spanish guitar, but it was, unfortunately, the better song. Faraway Promise probably had excellent character impact in game (I hope -- that's what it sounds like it should've been), but TRtTFBY (fuck y'all, I'm not writing it again) gives better scope.

FAILURE BRACKET
Andy: Can't figure out how to say its name.
Ash: I kind of liked the peppiness of Hydlide. Then it repeated. Again. And again. I think I would no longer have ears if I'd had to listen to this at any length. As it is, Andrew almost lost his.

ANIME
Andy: Sounded like a more delicious food.
Ash: Soramimi Cake was ... too weird. The discordance didn't mesh with the character of the voices & music. Canta Per Me also had strings and fittingly symphonic voices. Well-played strings always win.

Andy: Cooler abbreviation. GitS: SAC: 2G
Ash: Rise has much better layering. MUCH better. Whoever does the vocals also does a perfect job working with but not blending into the music. Also, Poltergeist sounds too much like something from The Mask. >:|

Lance

• Groovy~
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • My Foxkei profile
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2009, 11:13:42 PM »
Andy & Ash: Merciless Savior isn't working. ;_;

http://www.imeem.com/people/stBoQtM/music/qTL5rj90/legend-of-heroes-vi-the-merciless-saviormp3/

Have you considered making the switch to imeem, Yakumo? It's just as easy to use as Putfile, but about a hundred times more reliable.

EDIT: Never mind. That's what I get for trying to be helpful, I suppose. ::)

EDIT AGAIN: Okay, at first, I didn't know what the heck you were talking about, so I logged out of imeem and clicked on that link. What's all this malarkey about needing to register just so you can listen to a song? Honestly, this must be something they implemented recently. I've listened to plenty of songs in the past when I wasn't logged in.

Damn. Well it would have been a good idea....
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 04:42:42 AM by Lance »

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2009, 01:04:43 AM »
You know you have to log in to that site to listen, right?  At least for that song, and I'm not sure what their rules are for that, since it doesn't seem to ask for other songs I've been looking for.  Doesn't work well for something like this.  Working on fixing the Putfile link.

EDIT: Should be working now, carry on.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2009, 08:39:07 AM by Yakumo »

MC50

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2009, 01:24:09 AM »
MAIN TOURNAMENT
Stickerbrush Symphony (Donkey Kong Country 2) vs. Iron Blue Intention (Castlevania: Portrait of Ruin) - Iron Blue Intention isn't bad, but it isn't my favorite Castlevania song.
Enemy Attack (Tales of Legendia) vs. The Ur-Quan Masters: Through the Angles of Space(Quasispace) - (Star Control 2) - - Really good.
Boss Theme (Lufia 2) vs. One Final Effort (Halo 3) - Surprised by this song. I like the Lufia 2 boss song, but not as much as the Halo one.
Faraway Promise (Xenogears) vs. The Road to Tomorrow Follows Behind You (WA5) - Neither are amazing.

FAILURE BRACKET

ANIME
Soramimi Cake (Azumanga Daioh) vs. Canta Per Me (Noir) - Soramimi Cake isn't as good as Raspberry Heaven, and it's not as good as Canta Per Me.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2009, 03:33:40 AM »
Iron Blue Intention - Stickerbrush Symphony is unimpressive zzz. IBI isn't exactly stellar, but it doesn't have to be.

Otherworld - What the fuck is up with this board not appreciating Otherworld. Rock is about a hundred times better than that J-pop crap RPGs churn out, and Otherworld itself is extremely lively, effective, authentic, and raised my opinion of Uematsu as a composer.

Into the Wilderness - I was pretty baffled, reading some of the comments, that some SH1 track would get significant hype. SH1's OST was a good cure for insomnia as a whole. Loaded up Alice, and... I remember this from in-game, it's not impressive. The version of Into the Wilderness nommed is an extremely odd choice (as has been pointed out, classic or Detonator is totally the way to go), but it's still good enough here.

The Road to Tomorrow - Heh, far from the best WA5 track, but it's still rather catchy. Man, WA5's OST rules. Music box music does not rule.

Hydlide - The repetitiveness makes it lose. Second Miltia is fairly bad too, but seems a bit overhated at times.

EDIT: This contest is kinda disappointing me. Most of the matches seem to have at least one track that I just don't care for at all, and most of the matches also force me to download something. Either the initial pools are wonky or people went more obscura this time than last, which is not a good thing to me.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2009, 03:35:22 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2009, 03:37:03 AM »
I think Excal is just confused.  he's thinking of "At the End of the Wilderness", the intro song.  Into the Wilderness is apparently a completely different track.  (Incidentally, I nommed At the End of the Wilderness, and did so before Excal, so it's probably in a later pool.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.