Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410646 times)

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #400 on: May 31, 2009, 02:01:33 AM »
Mm, alright. Excellent to know. I'll (attempt to) keep that in mind.

Oh, and the epic summary post might take some time. He's currently wearing away the effects of what I presume to be a long day.
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #401 on: May 31, 2009, 03:15:41 AM »
It's the Internet. Wasting time is like a requirement.

I can't add anything useful to this topic since I haven't played LFT yet. Depressing, I know, but I hate emulation and I am too lazy/cheap to mod a PS2. <_<
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #402 on: May 31, 2009, 05:25:32 AM »
Alright, so since a super mega post is in order, let's do this thing.

Our story begins with the fall of Velius.  Knowing of what is to come, Cyril gives a mighty MEH and changes nothing.  Fargus becomes some kind of speedy doom archer, but doesn't change much.  Meanwhile, Jasmin goes over every variable, considering the different status effects of the katanas, the impact of each different speed she might have, the values of specific HP ranges and comes up with the perfect setup for the upcoming battle.  As for Shaker, he wants to hunt some big game, and tricks out every aspect of the system he can to squeeze out as much physical damage as possible, aiming to be half the offensive might of the party in a build known only as the Evisceraptor.

Naturally, Fargus and Cyril kill Lede before anyone else, and especially the two that spent half an hour prepping for the battle, can get a turn.

And so begins Chapter 4, also known as the Chapter of surprisingly little Revival.  With Chemist being mostly done, Fargus decides to get himself a better movement ability.  This involving unlocking Bard so he can get Move +3.  Thanks to Jasmin, he has the Summoner Pre-Reqs, but he doesn't have Mediator unlocked, so it's off to Oracle for him.  Notably, thanks to Poison Rod, Martial Arts, and Punch Art, it's off to Physical Oracle of Doom!  Jasmin and Cyril can generally be assumed to be their default classes for this session (Summoning Samurai for Jasmin, Death Calc for Cyril) while Shaker jumps around a fair bit without actually changing at all (two weapon Thief/Ninja/Knight/Monk/Geo).

At this point, we decide to ignore the main plot for Bervennia Volcano.  I mean, we are right there, and Cyril has Move-Find Item.  One Teleport 2 later, and we've gained Materia Blade X 1.  The rest of the battle was fairly easy outside of the one Look of Devil which whiffed before the ahriman in question got poached.  Though, this did lead to the interesting conundrum of a Death Calc facing a bunch of Reflected, Death Immune, or Aegis Shielded foes.

Alright, now we hit the valley of Chapter 4 Start.  Also known as, the first battle where Death starts reliably hitting.  Shaker takes down two enemies on the top, while Jasmin does some hurting on the guys in the middle with Bahamut, and Cyril picks a couple of folks off with Death.  Fargus anchors the team, as an Item Mediator, and that's that for a fairly routine battle.  Big thing of note, Cyril manages to get most of the White Magic Skillset he didn't already have from a crystal near the end.  God bless Teleport 2.

Meliadoul is somewhat less routine.  Our first attempt, well...  let's start with what went right.  Namely, CK is a girl.  Specifically, a girly girl what cannot resist Shaker's manly charms and kills a summoner for us.  Oh, and we got lucky and the AI foiled it's own attempt to knock CK out of charm.  Well, that was quick.  What went wrong started with a critical hit on Shaker, knocking him and the Fire 2 aimed at him back, so it now one shotted Jasmin instead of knocking CK out of Charm, and left Shaker hurt badly enough that the archers could pick him off easily.  Also, the Short Charge Summoner managed to hit both Fargus and Cyril, notably hitting Cyril before he could move and one shotting him.  Fargus, with his Auto Potion fared better, but once he was alone with only one summoner down and CK back in the game, it was over.

Meliadoul Tk 2.  Cyril is the only drastically different setup this time, having considered White Magic Knight (Paladin Setup) before realizing there would be no robes.  So he was a White Magic Geomancer instead, with the Materia Blade and Maintenance to protect against basically the entire enemy force.  Another setup change involved Shaker starting one panel further back to lure CK to a panel where we could side attack, and Jasmin with a Heaven's Cloud instead of a Muramasa.

Battle starts with the left summoner Hasting Meliadoul while Shaker kills CK.  Cyril then pulls out Reraise while taking position to try and stall Meliadoul.  At this point a Windslash Archer downs Jasmin, but Shaker can run up and take down a summoner before getting downed himself by an instacast Leviathan.  He gets Raised and takes down an archer before Meliadoul Shellbust Stabs him.  another Raise comes, and he retreats to join Fargus and Jasmin who've wiped out the rest of Meliadoul's support and are huddling out of her reach while Cyril plugs the hole Melia needs to get up from ground level.  After regrouping and getting some good CT timing, the party surges forward, killing Melia fairly quickly in spite of her Protect/PDU/MDU setup.

Finath River was against 5 Yellow Chocobos.

Zalmo was interesting.  It started with an accurate Silence Song on Jasmin, who decided it would be a good idea to Kiyomori instead of having a 13% of her summon failing.  Unfortunatly, this involved a bit of oversight involving walking next to Cyril, the other person using Magic (although, by this point he has Exp 3 unlocked).  So, complete lockdown.  Cyril busts out Poison for the JP and then moves to where Stigma Magic can help him, only to have one of the Samurai pull out Heaven's Cloud, killing Cyril (but not getting status for anyone else).  None of us prepped revival, so we are now on a timer.  A Calc based timer, in a party with a TwoFist Accumumonk, a Samurai, and a Charge Bard.  Oh, and Delita.  By the time Delita remembered he had Wish, most of the enemy force had been reduced to a fine red mist after having come in contact with the party.  Leaving only a Charging Zalmo with 31 HP and 40MP, as well as an Oracle in critical status.  The pace did not change from that point on.

At this point we're out of Asuras and decide to go and stock up on some more, meaning a trip to Dorter is in order.  The random encounter at Finath gets steamrolled, in large part thanks to Salamander being that good against Chocobos.  The random at Doguola also involves steamrolling of the only three PC actions sort.  Jasmin never gets a turn, Shaker's first move is while charmed (we didn't need Fargus anyways), and Cyril is kinda useless.

Trip to Dorter take 2.  This time our random encounter is at Grog, and easily dispatched.  We reach Dorter, do some buying, and then head back to the plot.  This time the Doguola battle is much easier and easily handled with our insane amounts of offense.  In fact, this is a good time to look at the party since we're all offensive units, with different specialties.

Shaker is your traditional range 1 evadable splattermonkey what kills things if he does hit.
Fargus is a quick glass cannon the plays the ninja game well, and between Auto-Potion and Bloody Strings has no HP setting between full and dead (and with 160 Max HP, Dead is a viable option).
Jasmin has the accurate AoEs with range and evasion ignoring properties.
And Cyril is slow, but between Teleport 2, Range 8 Death, and his growing competancy with Math Skill, will always have a move, and is quite a good sniper.

One last trip to Zalmoville for an Icebrand gets us a random encounter at Finath.  Notably, a random encouter with a swarm of Piscodemons a couple of cats, and a Treant.  Despite our best efforts, halfway through the fight, Shaker and Jasmin are down, with Cyril having no methods of revival, and Fargus being in the thick of the fighting.  It is at this point that Cyril manages to MS Haste onto himself and Fargus, and the Piscodemons Berserk the bard.  And so while Fargus SMASHED PUNY SQUID THINGS WITH MUSIC!!!! Cyril took out the retreating Squid that counter flooded Shaker to death, and the timer was avoided.  This battle really was notable for driving home the fact that bards now out ninja the ninja.

We now reach Balk.  Cyril pulls out a Flame Shield here, meanwhile a few of the enemies are dumb enough to have good compatability and good faith.  So, we get our opening Kiyomori before having Shaker walk up and kill something, and having Cyril snipe an archer.  At this point, Balk gets a turn and I foolishly invite Balk and his Fire Gun to attack me.  Ooops, Arm Aim is go!  Wait, despite taunting the universe he missed!  His next turn he tries it again, but this time Fargus had run forward to kill the summoner, and he got hit instead.  This prompts a Height Prime Esuna, getting rid of Poison and Don't Act.  After this, giant dragon torches foes, and Shaker/Fargus get their beat on on Balk, ending the battle.

North Wall of Bethla comes next.  Our first attempt goes poorly.  Between all of Cyril's status attempts (one death, two slows) failing horribly, the Lancers all managing to have their pick of Jump targets, the monk not only having Earth Slash, but also being oddly evasive, and the Summoner just being good in spite of 50 Faith.  We failed to do much in the way of damage before being crushed.

Second attempt started with a different setup, and a few differences.  Namely, new setup meant that Cyril was now exactly 3 Panels away from the archer on the wall, which left him in critical.  Also, the monk lacked Earth Slash.  One Kiyomori later, as well as one summon from the enemies, the party surged forth, with Shaker and Jasmin, supported by Fargus, taking out Soppy and his buddy before starting to make their way up the battlements.  Meanwhile, Cyril opens up by pointing at the Summoner, killing her outright.  Then becoming the main target for both archers and the monk, taking an arrow and the the monk got behind him with a Repeating Fist.  Fortunatly, it was only a glancing blow as the crossbow archer retreated to the top of the ramparts for safety.  Cyril then pointed at the monk and he keeled over, dead.  At this point, the longbow archer fired at Cyril again, landing another hit.  The archer celebrated as knocking Cyril into critical caused him to disappear.  Sadly, this was no retreat, but Critical Quick activating, turning joy to dismay as the vanished Cyril popped out from behind his buddy's ear, stick first.  He fired another shot at Cyril, but it was shielded.  And as the rest of the party closed in, Cyril warped space in order to deliver the final blow after Fargus had softened him up.

And it is here that our tale ends.  Tune in next week, Same Calc Time! Same Calc Channel!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #403 on: May 31, 2009, 06:01:44 AM »
I don't actually have anything insightful to input here.  So let's go with this.
I'm a bit confused why you want an Always: Blind katana on a class with innate Concentrate, though.

Because Zatoichi is that freaking cool.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #404 on: May 31, 2009, 07:29:22 AM »
I'm a bit confused why you want an Always: Blind katana on a class with innate Concentrate, though.

Because Zatoichi is that freaking cool.

^^ What more reason do you need?
Also, it's just feels aesthetically pleasing without actually killing any aspect of the game. (Or does it? I'm not sure. I don't think one Always: Blind katana would do much...)
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #405 on: May 31, 2009, 10:49:37 AM »
There's also the fact that now that you have Equip Knife as a viable support skill, you might use Katanas in a class outside of Samurai.  If you give Always: Blind to a Katana that you would want to use in order to beat things to death (perhaps just really good WP, perhaps the Eat Me effect that JAD loves so, perhaps something else) then you'd have a weapon where a non Samurai might wish to use it, especially with the greater modifiers that clothing and hats give over Armour and Helms, that would also have an interesting drawback that would encourage more thought about positioning.

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #406 on: May 31, 2009, 06:15:35 PM »
^^^^^^^^^^^

Yar. Something that isn't terribly useful on Samurai but which others value (PA?) could be interesting. But mostly stylish.

On Wiegraf 3, there certain aren't any objections to his reduced offense (it makes the battle much less of an anomaly, much more winnable by "normal" setups), but I think at least DHE and I feel like he should have a bit of durability to make up for it; as it is, he still goes down in 1 to 3 hits (as he did before), but no longer really has the offense to threaten you in that time period.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: May 31, 2009, 07:57:10 PM »
On Wiegraf 3, there certain aren't any objections to his reduced offense (it makes the battle much less of an anomaly, much more winnable by "normal" setups), but I think at least DHE and I feel like he should have a bit of durability to make up for it; as it is, he still goes down in 1 to 3 hits (as he did before), but no longer really has the offense to threaten you in that time period.
Mmmm...be really careful with durability.

For instance: give him Defence Up, and Squire Ramza would deal 66 damage to him (Platinum Sword nerf), take 84 damage from him, get countered, be slower, have less HP, and ram into his shield and Counter.  Ramza can accumulate, but Wiegraf can Scream.  I feel something's wrong if the Ramza Squire SCC needs to powerlevel to beat Wiegraf.  (Like...I'm not sure Ramza Squire can win at level 30, and if he can it involves significant AI manipulation, luck with evasion, and luck with Wiegraf's Counter).

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: June 01, 2009, 02:07:09 AM »
Would it be possible to give Wiegraf 3 more HP to help make him more defined as a defensive character? To me, that seems like a way to give Wiegraf a way of taking more hits without having a crushingly overwhelming offense. And if there's issues with counter, there's always slight Brave manipulation, isn't there?
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #409 on: June 01, 2009, 06:45:21 AM »
Which means that Ramza needs to have learned Threaten before hand, and have a setup where he can afford to not only set it, but also have the time to use it.  Honestly, I'm willing to stand by the view that Wiegraf 3 doesn't need to be some kind of hard fight, and that Velius himself suffices.

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: June 01, 2009, 09:07:19 AM »
Definitely agreed with Excal here.  It's a two part battle with a ton of unskippable dialogue you have to read on every reset, Chameleon Robe no longer works, Velius has new tricks... it really does not need to be any harder, I'm worried about SCCs being possible as it is.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: June 01, 2009, 10:26:53 AM »
If Velius is the problem, then nerf Velius, not Wiegraf. Don't deflect balances to where they don't belong.

Wiegraf just seems so... unremarkable now. Easy to outslug (he barely outdamages Gafgarion relative to the time, is out-durabilitied in a big way, and doesn't drain), unlikely to create interesting fights. There's a whole half-battle dedicated to Wiegraf, he's not really meant to be rolled over like that. You've even cut down on the esoteric strategies for beating him by giving him Scream. Let's say we took away Scream and Counter, but gave him Defences Up.

Here's how the SCCs do. I'm not at all worried about non-SCCs. Note that I'm assuming you have to do ~225 damage to win, the Wiegraf I recall seeing had about 300 HP.

Squire: Kites and Accumulates. Is only being 3HKOed so shouldn't have to Accumulate too far.
Chemist: Haha Auto-Potion. Not 2HKOed if optimised for HP anyway, I think.
Knight: Power Break is still PA-3? That screws him over badly. After one of those he's doing 28 damage. Yeah.
Archer: Good zodiac, 8 speed, Charge+10 twice. 2HKOs easily through Defence Up.
Monk: HP Restore.
Priest: All that really needs to be said here is that Holy may well OHKO through Magic Defence Up (good zodiac + whatever level Priest hits 8 MA). If that level is too high (it's somewhere in the 20's), then bad zodiac ensures you aren't 2HKOed, and still lets you 2HKO.
Wizard: OHKO through MDU again!
Time Mage: Again.
Summoner: Again.
Thief: Goes first, easily 2HKOs. Note that this is possibly a OHKO without Defence Up... freaking Thief can pull a OHKO here, which highlights my problems with Wiegraf nicely.
Mediator: 9 speed, kite and do 40 damage... okay Mediators seem to have it pretty tough here. You could, of course, avoid this problem by giving Wiegraf an extra status weakness. Or I may just be missing something obvious.
Oracle: Yay Life Drain. It doesn't quite erase the damage Wiegraf does, but it comes close enough.
Geomancer: 2HKOs, isn't 2HKOed.
Lancer: They have Defence Up now, and don't lack for offence with Jump.
Samurai: Kiyomori and Murasame save me from having to work out its damage!
Ninja: See Thief, only with higher stats and 2 more WP.
Bard: Bloody Strings more like Cheese Strings.
Dancer: See Bard for non-GS versions. That said, 9 speed, run away and use the Power nerfing dance seems like it'd work wonders.
Mime: Depending on levels they have about fifty billion HP and should win a slugfest easily.
TrueCalc!: Damage Split goes through Defence Up anyway! Not going to think about this one too hard but I imagine victory is possible here. I also would not object to the TrueCalc SCC randomly becoming impossible somewhere anyway, that may be just me though. Ditto Mime.

Sooo... yep, guess that's what I'm proposing! Wiegraf feels like someone who should make most SCCs work, and as you can see from the above, with Defences Up he does that. Without he just kinda sucks. Way too many can just OHKO him.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: June 01, 2009, 10:58:17 AM »
While I can see where you're coming from, I do take offense at the suggestion that if you're going to focus on having an interesting fight in a squad tactics game, that it shouldn't be on the fight that involves a squad.  The priority here is rightly on Velius, and while there is a good case for making Wiegraf interesting, I am very much appreciative of their taking a position towards too easy rather than too hard.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: June 01, 2009, 11:51:53 AM »
To play the devil's advocate, the entire game is full of interesting Squad Based Tactics fights.  There is... 2 fights in the game that make you worry about a single target for Ramza?  Previously they were 2 fairly different fights at that.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: June 01, 2009, 06:49:02 PM »
You've even cut down on the esoteric strategies for beating him by giving him Scream. Let's say we took away Scream and Counter, but gave him Defences Up.
No, see, the thing is we don't want to leave the esoteric "accumulate to 30 PA" strategies in there.  For starters, it's boring as hell.  More to the point it renders Velius irrelevant because you kill him before he can move.

As for taking away Counter, I've actually suggested a few alternatives to Counter (MP Switch); having trouble selling Laggy on them, though.

Archer: Good zodiac, 8 speed, Charge+10 twice. 2HKOs easily through Defence Up.
Doesn't this involve surviving two Lightning Stabs at good compatibility?  I guess you can if you go for HP boosting, but with HP boosting I'm not sure you 2HKO through Defence Up (I'm calculating 104 for Charge+10, good compat, DU).

Thief: Goes first, easily 2HKOs. Note that this is possibly a OHKO without Defence Up... freaking Thief can pull a OHKO here, which highlights my problems with Wiegraf nicely.
Umm...assuming level 20 (which makes them just hit a couple stat points which happen to make even numbers for daggers) and max PA boosting, they'd deal 200 to neutral.  So...yeah, go second with good compatibility and they can deal 240, which I think knocks him to critical (though I'm not sure if they survive his counter).

To play the devil's advocate, the entire game is full of interesting Squad Based Tactics fights.  There is... 2 fights in the game that make you worry about a single target for Ramza?  Previously they were 2 fairly different fights at that.
Wiegraf had a couple of major design issues before.
#1: The first being that if you abuse the Wiegraf fight then you don't have to fight Velius.
#2: The second being that people get trapped against him, and unlike Gafgarion he's kinda lacking in outs (can't go level, can't bring in a long range friend, can't open the gate).  And yes, obviously removing Accumulate abuse removes an out against him, but that's kinda needed to deal with problem #1.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 06:52:03 PM by metroid composite »

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: June 01, 2009, 08:14:32 PM »
I actually like the idea of using MP Switch in a gameplay sense (gives him one extra hit that completely ignores how much damage you do, which is neat in a 1v1.) My main issues that stem from it are thematic (Wiegraf always has Counter, doesn't seem very much like the mage type) and that it's already being used as a major gimmick for two other bosses (Zalmo and Altima, not counting optional fights that also make use of it.)
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: June 01, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »
#1: The first being that if you abuse the Wiegraf fight then you don't have to fight Velius.

If you abuse Dycedarg you don't have to fight Adramelk.
If you abuse Altima 1 you don't have to fight Altima 2.

I dunno, it seems part of a time-honoured RPG tradition of multi-stage bosses (be it multiple explicit stages or just moves unlocked via HP loss) that yes, you can buff up or otherwise abuse the first form and crush the rest. To me that seems perfectly valid. Wiegraf's already fairly challenging to abuse effectively since you only have one PC. If you can pull it off, have a cookie.

If you don't want that in your game, okay... what safeguards have you put in place for the Dyce and Altima 1 fights? Maybe I should play and find out (I know Adra in particular is whack, just don't know how).

Doesn't this involve surviving two Lightning Stabs at good compatibility?  I guess you can if you go for HP boosting, but with HP boosting I'm not sure you 2HKO through Defence Up (I'm calculating 104 for Charge+10, good compat, DU).

Oh right, this is why I shouldn't write these things late at night. Obviously you can still win with a 21% chance (Speed Save kicks in second turn but not first) but that's a bit sketchy I'll admit (still uh, better than a much higher-levelled Thief had in vanilla FFT!). Might be missing a better way, too lazy to analyse it now.

(Side note, I was about to break down laughing at the suggestion of Thief REACHING Wiegraf at Level 20, but then remembered what a difference Two Swords and non-fail weapons makes. <_<)

Maybe.

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #417 on: June 01, 2009, 09:36:33 PM »
My feeling (biased, I know, because I don't really do or even like SCCs) is that so long as SCCs are at least conceivably possible with non-astronomical chances, the focus of balancing the fight should be to a fairly standard playthrough. I will also agree, however, that if for some reason it comes down to a decent Velius fight or a decent Wiegraf fight, Velius should definitely take priority for challenge/balance. I really do like Scream for preventing that particular spoiler.

Agreed that MP Switch has kinda been done with Zalmo alone (let alone any fights later on), but I don't think you should feel married to Counter by any stretch of the imagination. Is there anything clever you could do with, say, MA Save plus a Draw Out secondary? Speed Save and Throw?

Thought: You could always make Lightning Stab lightning elemental and give him, say, Split Punch to fall back on (giving SCCs who really need it a bit of an out without knocking him back on to Wave Fist per standard LFT).

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: June 01, 2009, 10:18:07 PM »
If you don't want that in your game, okay... what safeguards have you put in place for the Dyce and Altima 1 fights? Maybe I should play and find out (I know Adra in particular is whack, just don't know how).
Adramelk really only needs to get one turn to cause chaos (and he's got start: Haste now to help with this)--though sure, you could potentially cheeze blitz him before he moves.  Adramelk is also the most cheeseable boss in the game now, to be fair, so this seems in-theme.

Altima1 is...kinda the harder, more interesting fight of the Altimas, and Altima 2 has start: Wall (the FFT positive status that's total invincibility) so she's at least guaranteed to get a turn.

Anyhow, I'm not objecting to a durability increase necessarily, I'm just saying that DU/MDU is an insane upgrade (nearly double durability).  It would not bother me to stick him at his old HP (forgot he had been lowered).

Agreed that MP Switch has kinda been done with Zalmo alone (let alone any fights later on), but I don't think you should feel married to Counter by any stretch of the imagination. Is there anything clever you could do with, say, MA Save plus a Draw Out secondary? Speed Save and Throw?

The problem with most FFT reactions is that they encourage you to just bypass them completely by dealing too much damage for him to react.  The advantage of MP Switch is that it actually discourages OHKO shenanigans (without shutting out an attack move altogether the way, say, Arrow Guard does).

EDIT: it's actually kinda different from other MP switch fights, now that I think about it.  Zalmo has it because we want you to knock him off the Church, so it's there to add artificial durability.  Altima has it because we wanted to cut Lich/Demi2/Life Drain damage in half against her.  Wiegraf would actually use it in the way MP Switch is traditionally used: block a single hit, nothing more.
« Last Edit: June 01, 2009, 10:32:28 PM by metroid composite »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: June 02, 2009, 08:02:38 AM »
One other thing, which is more alarming:

Some elemental summon did 2x the damage to some enemy it should have. I don't recall which summon (Silf maybe?), or which enemy, but I certainly recall pointing it out at the time. Anyone else in the Vancouver LFT playtest crew remember more details? My guess is a weakness flag slipped onto some class or equip somehow.

EDIT: not a summon at all, Excal has it
« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 08:10:20 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #420 on: June 02, 2009, 08:07:37 AM »
Hmm, it was the Bolt 3 in the undead forest.  Hit me and Rafa, with a 4x damage diff.  Both had neutral to lightning, Rafa had neutral Zodiac while I had worst is how I believe it went, but my memory is fuzzier as to exactly why I should have been hit for about 50%.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #421 on: June 02, 2009, 08:08:34 AM »
Hello, after noticing the patch had been updated, I downloaded again and just today I started a fresh new game, after 4 hours into the game, I noticed that Knights can't wear Robes...

Why is this? o_o I didn't noticed any announcement that this was changed, if it was the intend to remove Robes for Knights, then I understand... but it really took me by surprise, I am quite sure it's never stated in the changes post, anyways, can someone please clarify me why Knights can't wear Robes?

I really like the patch before, so I am looking at the new changes, monsters seem less powerful, but still challenging, I like Concentrate on Samurai, gotta try that, but really, why no Robes for Knights?
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #422 on: June 02, 2009, 08:17:08 AM »
Knights being unable to use Robes was unintentional and will be fixed.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #423 on: June 02, 2009, 08:31:16 AM »
Wiegraf had a couple of major design issues before.
#2: The second being that people get trapped against him, and unlike Gafgarion he's kinda lacking in outs (can't go level, can't bring in a long range friend, can't open the gate).  And yes, obviously removing Accumulate abuse removes an out against him, but that's kinda needed to deal with problem #1.

I was errr actually trying to help your argument there, seems I didn't do a great job >_>  The idea is that while Wiegraf is currently strong, he should stay that was as it is one of the very few spots where you are actually faced with that kind of challenge.  Shifting all of the challenge to Velius just makes for one more Zodiac fight.  That is what I was trying to convey.

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #424 on: June 02, 2009, 10:21:22 AM »
Thanks for your response Shale, I am sorry if I came off whiny and everything, I love LFT patch, as I said before, it just striked me as an odd thing that Knights couldn't use the robes, I apologize for making a fuss about it, and for missing that someone had already adressed this issue.

Anyways, keep up the excelent work people! and congratulations for such a great and fun experience that LFT patch is n_n
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-