Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410512 times)

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #375 on: May 22, 2009, 04:50:54 PM »
"(Mediators)
* Increased Mediator's HP multiplier from 85 to 95
* Decreased Mediator's HP multiplier from 75 to 65"

Which is it?
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #376 on: May 22, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »
"(Mediators)
* Increased Mediator's HP multiplier from 85 to 95
* Decreased Mediator's MP multiplier from 75 to 65"

Which is it?

God dammit OK you saw nothing.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #377 on: May 22, 2009, 05:12:43 PM »
Don't be that way just because the guy who hates the game noticed an error ^_^
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #378 on: May 22, 2009, 05:15:40 PM »
Sounds like a side-effect of reliable knockback is tough on Archers, which is a bit of a shame. I can't believe I'm suggesting this, but maybe there should be vertical range on throw stone?
Err...is it a problem if Squires counter Archers?  There aren't that many enemy Squires in the game, and PC-side you already have stuff like Oracles having Silence Song, so Throw Stone being a PC-side anti-Archer move sounds acceptable.  Probably doesn't kill enemy Archers as bad as 100% Weapon Break, actually.

LVP of this match?  Caster Chick, who I forgot to get Haste for, nor switch her secondary from White Magic to Black Magic.  Or get a weapon for, not that it would have mattered if she could do 2 damage, or 8.
Time Mage at this point should be able to get the 4WP White Staff, which means 24 damage; possibly 28 if you're high enough level (level...5 is it?)

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #379 on: May 22, 2009, 07:15:02 PM »
Ah yes, Staves use (MP)(WP).  Not that it would have mattered.  Wasn't going to stick that mage on front line duty anyways.

As for Archers.  Yes, Squires do somewhat counter them.  But this is in large part because of a prevalence of one panel wide ledges, as well as the AI liking that one spot next to the drop on Dorter.  If the AI did the sensable thing and stood one panel further away from the edge (or even two, it's not like it needed to worry about attack range) then that strategy would not have worked.

That said, I am looking forward to Golgorand.  Please do stand on top of the scaffolding enemy units!  Your teleport will surely keep you safe!

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #380 on: May 24, 2009, 01:47:22 AM »
I forgot to unequip Gaff's secondary, so he opened the falls with a Fire 2 on Ovelia.  She responded by running into a swarm of Knights, and charging MBarrier.  I was unable to get anyone in place to block them, nor to land a Protect or Heal in the right timing, and the two dudes by Gaff managed to kill her while she was charging.

Oddly enough, Delita has nothing to say in this game over, while Ramza and Agrias do.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #381 on: May 24, 2009, 03:07:52 PM »
Time for my generic sideline cheer leading.

(Universal)
* Death Sentence status now ignores Dead immunity

That is cute, wondering where exactly it comes up though?

(Items)
Elemental Katanas

Yay, I really liked this idea.  Hope it pans out.  The Add: Status stuff is pretty strong for some of them, but I would have to check WP on some to be really worried about balance there and I trust you guys to not do crazy retarded shit anyway.

(Mimes)
* Increased Mime's MA Multiplier from 150 to 160
* Removed Mime's innate Concentrate, Monster Skill, and Martial Arts
* Gave Mime innate Monster Talk and Two Hands
Cute.  Other class and monster changes are ranging from minor tweaks to interesting changes that I cannot foresee the effects of.

(Other)
* Edited Knight's equipment break skills so that AI uses them less frequently
Probably makes the game a bit less frustrating, but yeah nerfs uber scary Knights (which might have just been needed a little).

(Chapter 1)
* Mandalia Plains: Thief changed to have fixed worst zodiac compatability with Algus
* Sand Rat Cellar: Knights got random secondaries, Monk JLVs increased, Grefter got fixed Weapon Guard and Move +1
Elegant solution to the first one there, very well done guys.  I clearly need more buffs.

* Fort Zeakden: Algus' Night Killer upgraded to Cross Bow, Power Wrist swapped for Battle Boots, given a Round Shield, given Charge secondary and Archer JLVs
Locks you into trying to shutdown Algus a bit more I guess, that said this stage is threatening enough normally anyway with those mages that buffing Algus to a more real threat is probably a good thing (Don't laugh, when you suck that map is a credible threat).

(Chapter 2)
* Goug Machine City: Archers gender-swapped from female to male, given higher Archer JLVs
* Golgorand Execution Site: Time Mages got fixed Teleport
Argh pain.  Well done though, Goug getting the not so painful dangerous enemy brought up to speed with the OH GOD STOP SUMMONING STOOOOP is a pretty solid choice there and I imagine the damage the Thieves can do here is already buffed enough with the reworking of the class.  This was already a really short sharp brutal fight (remember that I suck), more so now.  Very nice.  Same goes for Golgorand with those Mages causing me to swear at the screen (Fucking Haste).

(Chapter 3)
* Inside of Riovanes Castle: Wiegraf's Accumulate replaced with Scream; Velius's reaction changed from Finger Guard to Meatbone Slash, given Two Swords, lowered PA accordingly

Hahaha oh man that really totally shoots down the old (inefficient of course) cheese and really increases the emphasis on the Movement dance to manipulate Wiegraf you read about in SSC logs.

(Chapter 4)
* Germinas Peak: Archers turned to Chemists (2) and Geomancer w/ Summon Magic (1)
Mmm assuming I have the right map, that is the main fight from original FFT that made me want to slap an Archer, oh well.  Iconic to me doesn't mean iconic to anyone else though.  2 chemists of course increases the threat value of almost any fight.

Nice stuff as always.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #382 on: May 24, 2009, 04:24:43 PM »
(Universal)
* Death Sentence status now ignores Dead immunity

That is cute, wondering where exactly it comes up though?
Against Zalera, he would hit you with Nightmare (causes Death Sentence half the time) you would wear Angel Rings (blocks dead).  All enemies would ignore the Death Sentence unit because she's going to die anyway--no point in attacking her!  Then Death Sentence would reach 0 and she would not die.

Yay, I really liked this idea.  Hope it pans out.  The Add: Status stuff is pretty strong for some of them, but I would have to check WP on some to be really worried about balance there and I trust you guys to not do crazy retarded shit anyway.
Always: Faith is the important one.  The others were just "hey, it feels weird that only one Katana has a bonus".

(Mimes)
* Increased Mime's MA Multiplier from 150 to 160
* Removed Mime's innate Concentrate, Monster Skill, and Martial Arts
* Gave Mime innate Monster Talk and Two Hands
Cute.  Other class and monster changes are ranging from minor tweaks to interesting changes that I cannot foresee the effects of.
This was interesting in-practice.  Mime was still good in Chapter 4, but no longer the "oh, you go deal with that evasion enemy."  On the other hand, Two Hands mimicry tended to be crazy damage.

(Other)
* Edited Knight's equipment break skills so that AI uses them less frequently
Probably makes the game a bit less frustrating, but yeah nerfs uber scary Knights (which might have just been needed a little).
It's mostly the frustrating we wanted to keep in-check.  Realistically breaks were usually not a big deal for winning the fight, and often worse than just physicalling since the AI didn't choose intelligent breaks anyway.  However, people hate hate hate hate hate losing equipment--it's an observed psychological effect that people feel loss significantly more intensely than they feel gain.

(Chapter 1)
* Mandalia Plains: Thief changed to have fixed worst zodiac compatability with Algus
* Sand Rat Cellar: Knights got random secondaries, Monk JLVs increased, Grefter got fixed Weapon Guard and Move +1
Elegant solution to the first one there, very well done guys.  I clearly need more buffs.
I was telling Laggy that you clearly need to equip a hammer (Flail) because you're a communist.  He seemed concerned that Knights can't equip Flails, though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 24, 2009, 10:50:26 PM »
Sounds like you need to make me a custom class then ... for Lenin!
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2009, 07:10:57 PM »
Copying and pasting a post of mine from GameFAQs because it'll get purged:

(Not crunching the numbers this very moment, but I'm pretty sure the average damage from a generic class is more like 3HKOing.)

Depends what we define as average damage.  I mean, do we use "Magic Attack Up + Strengthen + Holy" for every class that has decent MA?  For physical classes do we assume Two Swords/Two Hands are set?

Assuming not much ability twinking, just equipment twinking, Chapter 4 equipment, average PA/MA growths (45/50), 70 brave, 70 faith, and for mages...umm...Titan would be the low-JP, sensible MP, highish damage I guess:

Ninja: 409 (Equip Sword Ice Brand + 108 gems + PA boosting--random Ice 2 chance included.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Ninja, so being equal with mages here...)
Samurai: 409 (Equip Sword Ice Brand + Black Robe + Bracer--random Ice 2 chance included.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Samurai, so being equal with mages here...)
Thief: 364 (Equip Sword Rune Blade + PA boosting.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Thief, so being equal with mages here...)
Lancer: 299 (Equip Axe + Bracer + Jump.  Equip Axe is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree, so being equal with mages here...).
Archer: 281 (Equip Sword, Charge+4, Ice Brand, Black Robe, PA boosting--random Ice 2 chance included.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Archer.  Charge+4 is cheaper than Titan.  So being equal with mages here...)
Dancer: 238 (Equip Sword Rune Blade + PA boosting.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Dancer, so being equal with mages here...)
Geomancer: 227 (Ice Brand, Black Robe, Agies Shield to boost Ice 2, PA boosting)
Wizard: 211 (Titan with Earth Clothes and MA boosting)
Squire: 208 (Ice Brand, Black Robe, PA boosting--random Ice 2 chance included)
Mediator: 208 (Equip Sword with Ice Brand, Black Robe, PA boosting--random Ice 2 chance included.  Screw it, Equip Sword for everyone--it's early in the job tree and cheaper than Titan.)
Monk: 206 (Equip Sword Ice Brand, 108 Gems, Power Sleeve.  Equip Sword is cheaper than Titan and same area of the job tree as Monk, so being equal with mages here...)
Time Mage: 199 (Titan with Earth Clothes and MA boosting)
Summoner: 199 (Titan with Earth Clothes and MA boosting)
Oracle: 199 (Titan with Earth Clothes and MA boosting)
Bard: 182 (Bloody Strings)
Priest: 182 (Equip Sword with PA boosting, Rune Blade.  Screw it, Equip Sword for everyone--it's early in the job tree and cheaper than Titan.)
Knight: 181 (Ice Brand, Black Robe, Bracer--random Ice 2 chance included)
Chemist: 168 (Equip Sword Rune Blade with PA boosting.  Screw it, Equip Sword for everyone--it's early in the job tree and cheaper than Titan.)
Calculator: 140 (Equip Sword Rune Blade with PA boosting.  Screw it, Equip Sword for everyone--it's early in the job tree and cheaper than Titan.)

Umm....wow.  Equip Sword seriously hijacked my list.  First with Rune Blade being better than all other weapons...and again when I factored in Ice Brand's Ice 2 into its damage and it pulled ahead of Rune Blade for most classes.  In many cases Equip Sword was a bigger boost than Attack Up would be.  The funny part is this hasn't changed much from original FFT--a few innate support abilities were added (Two Swords, Two Hands, Attack Up).  A few PA mults went down, a few PA mults went up.  On the other hand, original FFT would have had +3 PA Bracer.

I wonder if lategame Swords should get a mild nerf.  11 Platinum Sword, 12 Ice Brand, 13 Rune Blade would still be good, and still better than other lategame weapons.

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2009, 07:22:53 PM »
Dude. I think you could probably make a case for a sword nerf, yes. I mean, even with all the cool stuff other weapon types have been given, swords still have (along with their attack power) a remarkable range of special features and whatnot; they're certainly no longer the _most_ versatile weapon type, but probably not terribly far off.

If you do nerf them slightly, you could always "make up" for it by increasing their weapon evade, per the elf's reality check :)

Excal

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 25, 2009, 09:33:57 PM »
Weekend Report.  Since I'm reporting on two games, I'll make this a two parter.

Anyways, to start, let's go communal since more people are interested in that one.  (If only because they're playing in it)

So, when last we left off, our intrepid heros were at Grog Hill, getting their butts kicked.  But that was a random, and what're the odds of getting that ra...  pretty good apparently.

This time Archer Cyril gets Blastered Twice, but Shaker Heals him, before getting Chocoballed himself and then yelled at by Cyril.  Then Jasmin is charmed, but Fargus shoots her out of it before she lays down a Moogle.  Then we get to be offensive, and the battle essentially ends.

Yuguo Woods - Take one, things start off decently well.  We march forward, and while the stop and the other status is annoying, we're doing alright.  Then comes the wizards, and Bolt 3 hurts.  Despite having PD, we can't win in time, and a close fought battle ends with the undead waking up again instead of crystalizing.

This time we make sure not to bunch up.  So one of the enemies crits instead, knocking Shaker next to Cyril, allowing the Wizard to Bolt 3 the two of them.  Shaker Speed Saves then dies, and Cyril gets stopped then killed himself.  Fun.  Meanwhile, Jasmin and Fargus manage to get control of their side of the battle, with some well placed PDs, and a redirected Fire 2 killing a ghost and a well placed Mogri saving Fargus.  At this point, Rafa hops up with a well placed Asura and, despite the Wizard having a White Robe, hammers him to one hit away from death.  At this point, Jasmin brings Shaker back and he ends the fight.  Cyril, in preparation for Wiegraf, is still 13 JP short of Concentrate.  Curses!  On the other hand, Shaker's over to Monk.

Riovannes Gate, the first attempt doesn't go so well, with Shaker getting the seat up front because his player wants to beat on Archers.  Sadly, he never reaches the archers, though he does .3HKO Malak before getting turned into a pincushion, and Ramza gets fairly cut up by knights.  Jasmin can't do anything first turn, and Fargus also manages to waste his.  There's some brief attempts at damage control, but Cyril isn't worth much, and Shaker never does get revived.

Take two, Cyril picks up Item and PD, and Jasmin takes the spot up front in order to nuke the archers.  Also, we leave Malak alone.  This leads to a) the archers picking on Rafa instead of people we care about, and she survives long enough to draw the Knight hit too.  And b) realizing the change in speed for Knights means that Jasmin is going right before the knight, preventing her from nuking the archers for two rounds, and she dies before she gets to that point.  However, on the other side, Fargus is keeping people alive, and Shaker manages to land a Secret Fist on the Feather Boots Knight, they eventually decide going after the other knight isn't worth it, after Shaker goes down to Archers, and instead the battle is for Cyril and Fargus to stay alive, using PD to reset Shaker's counter.  Eventually, the standing still back to back pays off as Cyril double turns everyone and gets a PD on Shaker as his CT hits 100.  Fargus then moves the battle to getting Jasmin back.  This eventually happens, and the Knight goes down hard as Shaker moves up and starts cleaning out archers.  It's a long battle, but successful.

At this point we hit Wiegraf 3 and Velius.  In anticipation of a hard fight, Cyril picks up Critical Quick, Concentrate, and Charge +2.  He then goes over to Bard, equips a Bloody Strings, and picks up as much PA/MA as possible, ending up with an effective 7 x 26, or 182 damage.  Then add in his being Taurus for good compatability.  So...  yeah, Attack -> Lightning Stab -> Attack.  Cyril goes into Velius with full HP.  Velius is a bit trickier.  Jasmin is setup to be a Faith Samurai, which means she starts off as a decent healer.  Ramza starts off the fight with two shots at Velius, making any healing that isn't also revival obsolete.  Shaker then punches Velius a bit, but we quickly decide that with Velius having probably more HP, it'd be better to take out the demons first.  Bad move.  We take two out before Shaker, Cyril, and Jasmin are themselves killed.  At this point it's just Fargus.  So, he slaps a PD on Jasmin and runs.  Velius kills Jasmin and runs himself, while the Demon Gigaflares Fargus.  Now, Cyril's about to crystalize, so no more time to stall.  Fargus PDs Cyril, and puts himself in range of Velius, who takes the bait.  Cyril then gets his shot, against a non-critical Velius, and pulls out Charge +2, which we barely have time for before the Demon finishes him off.  One plucking of the strings later, we're prepping for a reset as we hear a monstrous groan.  By the skin of our teeth, we've beaten Velius.

After a brief period of celebration, we call it a night for LFT.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2009, 09:49:55 PM »
Non-Equip Sword list.
By Laggy's request, a damage list with no Equip Sword!  Rules for this one:

*No support abilities
*No secondary abilities
*As before, Chapter 4 equipment, average PA/MA growths (45/50), 70 brave, 70 faith, level 30
*Primary skillset mastered

<b>Ninja: 337</b> (Double Morning Star with max PA boosting).
<b>Summoner: 336</b> (Cyclops)
<b>Wizard: 328</b> (Flare)
<b>Priest: 315</b> (Holy + strengthen Holy)
<b>Samurai: 270</b> (Muramasa with C-Bag + Wizard Robe + Magic Gauntlet.  Watch your cash bleed)
<b>Time Mage: 249</b> (Average between Gold Staff Meteor at 378, and Gold Staff attack at 120.  The problem being that speed 8 and no Short Charge means half the time you can't cast Meteor without doubleturning yourself--this includes your first turn).
<b>Thief: 242</b> (Air Knife + 108 gems + power boosting)
<b>Lancer: 228</b> (Oberisk Jump)
<b>Geomancer: 227</b> (Ice Brand, Black Robe, Agies Shield to boost Ice 2, PA boosting)
<b>Archer: 210</b> (Gastrifitis + PA Boosting + Charge+7)
<b>Squire: 208</b> (Ice Brand, Black Robe, PA boosting--random Ice 2 chance included)
<b>Monk: 189</b> (punch with Power Sleeve Bracer)
<b>Bard: 182</b> (Bloody Strings)
<b>Knight: 181</b> (Ice Brand, Black Robe, Bracer--random Ice 2 chance included)
<b>Oracle: 168</b> (Octagon Rod + MA boosting)
<b>Mediator: 160</b> (16 WP book)
<b>Dancer: 154</b> (Air Knife + 108 gems)
<b>Calculator: 120</b> (Octagon Rod + max MA boosting)
<b>Chemist: 110 </b> (Air Knife, 108 gems, power boosting)
<b>Mime: 96</b> (Mime PUUUUUNNNCHHHH.  N.B.: I assumed Mime PA growth for this one.  Without that it'd be 77)

Median: 209, Average: 215

Places where this is lower than original FFT:

Ninja: would deal more barefisted, even without Martial Arts.
Monk: Loses Bracer.
Knight: Loses Bracer.
Mime: Loses Martial Arts (very small decrease since they gained PA)
Wizard: MA was nerfed

Places where this is higher than original FFT:

Time Mage: Gold Staff was buffed.  GOLD STAFF.
Samurai: MA multiplier went up by 38.
Thief: Probably roughly doubled--Two Swords.  (Less PA but better Air Knife is a bit of a wash).
Lancer: PA increase is bigger than Bracer decrease
Archer: Can get off Charge+7 instead of Charge+4 (both 8 clockticks)
Squire: PA increase is bigger than Bracer nerf
Bard: WP was doubled.
Mediator: Gains books (which happen to not suck)
Dancer: Gains Attack Up.
Chemist: Air Knife is a little better

Places where this is tied:

Summoner
Priest
Geomancer (gained PA from class, lost PA from Bracer)
Oracle
Calculator
« Last Edit: May 25, 2009, 09:58:12 PM by metroid composite »

Just Another Day

• Just Another Dollar
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • (BL)
« Reply #388 on: May 30, 2009, 11:04:00 PM »
The above list doesn't look terribly unreasonable to me (as far as rankings go generally)...

Bunch more LFT yesterday went well. Meliadoul was very good. Zalmo 2 is fucking sweet. Other than Finath River (which we got an all-Yellow, can/should that be fixed?), the other fixed encounters (Roof - Sluice 1) seemed generally improved or at least on par.

Random feedback:

Seemed like there might have been a bit of confusion with the Judo Outfit/Earth Clothes split, either that one wasn't re-enemy levelled properly, or possibly that an enemy with set equipment wasn't updated, but I don't recall the exact situation, unfortunately.

Steal Heart on cats has glitchy animations. Not really the end of the world, but would it be an alternative to lower Allure's hit rate slightly?

Flame Attack is still incredibly scary. Not complaining necessarily, just saying.

Samurai is playing as a pretty competent class, interesting blend between decent (but low-MP) magic carrier and draw-out-er, with a physical option as well. Low durability as a magic user.

The new Katana are cool. I still think one should have always: Blind, possibly with something interesting or good also attached (add Death, PA Boosting, ?)

We're somewhat divided on the new Weigraf. Obviously, we only played him once, but he seemed pretty weak. Lower damage is fine, but it felt like he needed Def-UP or more HP. Haven't really considered SCCs or anything though, so.

I really like the new Odin. Thematically it feels like Odin and Leviathan (as they currently are in LFT) should switch niches (Levi weaker, cheaper, Odin stronger, expensiver), but there may be gameplay arguments against this. Bahamut is still good.

Don't really like that Knights lost robes. Feels like a nerf in the wrong direction. Really like the speed drop, though.

Bards feel broken. This may be okay with you. Haven't really played much with Dancers yet, but at first blush they don't seem to compare.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 30, 2009, 11:10:17 PM »
Similarly to the Earth Clothes/Judo Outfit issue, I noticed the Sluice Archer who normally carries an Ultimus Bow now carries Lightning, which just kinda sucks at this point in the game (presumably should be Silver). Probably need to be careful with new equipment and any level requirements for enemies using it. Now that I think about it didn't we see Earth Clothes at Bethla too?

I don't like Knights losing Robes. It means they can no longer use magic worth a damn, which feels completely counterproductive to what LFT is trying to do. Also bites into their Chapter 4 (no Black Robe). In theory adding MP-increasing armours or helmets (or even shields?) would fix my complaints here, but I dunno, that's pretty inelegant I think. Generally think they should have robes, especially since Lancers still have them.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 30, 2009, 11:24:05 PM »
More on the Knights losing robes: This might be on purpose, but they feel rather weak as an actual attacker, and feel like they have more use as a support unit (Once they finally get into the battle) than they do as a physical class--especially without the robes, now that they've lost any ability to use magic or boost things like Ice Brand. Sure, they're durable, and it takes a while to kill them, but they can't seem to do much in the meantime, giving me a mental image of this knight taking blow-after-blow, as he twiddles his thumbs and greets the enemies. (A poor example, I know)

Another thing that felt a little odd to me was the inability for the archers on the North Wall to really factor into things much. They just felt far too weak to do anything, and one has a crossbow, so he doesn't even get near the battle without throwing himself into the middle of the PC's. Is there any way to possibly make them slightly more relevant? Even if it's just giving the crossbow-user a real bow so there are two archers firing on the party as opposed to one. Although I haven't considered SCC's so I apologize if doing something about the archers wouldn't work and I just wasted time here.

(This is Excal's brother, btw)
<%King_Meepdorah> roll 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"?
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...
* +superaway shakes head.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 30, 2009, 11:37:24 PM »
Knights being unable to use Robes was unintentional and will be fixed.

New Wiegraf 3: thing is, isn't he... more competent if you consider that Chameleon Robe no longer works on him? At least this was the argument mc was making when I was wondering whether he was underpowered or not. That said, SCCs were a serious concern, yes.

I'm a bit confused why you want an Always: Blind katana on a class with innate Concentrate, though.

I'll check out the Archers at the Sluice section. Judo Outfit/Earth Clothes was indeed a screwup on my part; forgot to adjust the enemy equip levels for them. That will be corrected.

Bards: I always feel flip-floppish about them, but given how fragile they are I can't say with a straight face they'd ever surpass Ninja as the glass cannon unit (though Bloody Strings does rule). Considerably more annoying to unlock as well. Eh. As far as Dancer, Nameless Dance is just so much better for most of the game (plus Cloth makes them good PA carriers as well).
« Last Edit: May 30, 2009, 11:48:02 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 30, 2009, 11:57:50 PM »
Bards: I always feel flip-floppish about them, but given how fragile they are I can't say with a straight face they'd ever surpass Ninja as the glass cannon unit (though Bloody Strings does rule). Considerably more annoying to unlock as well.

Yes, they're harder to unlock, and don't exactly have the best stats or anything, but the strings just throw them so far ahead in the glass cannon game, no? Also, with the ninja nerf, I'd say bards have actually replaced them for the true glass cannon unit. With a bard, you either die or you're at full hp because of Bloody Strings. With a ninja, you either die or get hurt badly. You have no way of ultimately healing yourself when you attack, and while you do have better C.Evade (so there is some argument to evade making them better as glass cannons) ninjas just feel inherently worse than bards now. Just my two cents on the matter.
* +Hatbot --> "King_Meepdorah rolls 1d999 for "It was beauty...that killed the mage"? and gets 999."12 [1d999=999]
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 31, 2009, 12:15:27 AM »
337 damage to 186 is a pretty huge difference in terms of damage output, though. *points up to mc's analysis*

Granted that figure drops if Ninjas opt for Ninja Swords and speed instead (and they probably should), but keep in mind that even after that Bard isn't coming close to winning the damage war. They've got slightly better speed and range to make up for it, sure, but they are not just flat out better or come close to the damage output a Ninja has even after the nerf.

What I could probably be argued into is removing the speed bonus on the harps, as... well, they kind of rule as is >_> I'm personally amused by them doing those numbers, though.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 31, 2009, 12:22:48 AM »
oh my god it's excal's brother the sh3 fanboy run for the hills

*grabs a club*
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 31, 2009, 12:43:12 AM »
337 damage to 186 is a pretty huge difference in terms of damage output, though. *points up to mc's analysis*

Granted that figure drops if Ninjas opt for Ninja Swords and speed instead (and they probably should), but keep in mind that even after that Bard isn't coming close to winning the damage war. They've got slightly better speed and range to make up for it, sure, but they are not just flat out better or come close to the damage output a Ninja has even after the nerf.

Yeah, alright. More than fair enough. Sorry about the waste of time, then.

oh my god it's excal's brother the sh3 fanboy run for the hills

*grabs a club*

Rum luck. I've already taken hold of the hills. Try escaping by boat, maybe?

<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #396 on: May 31, 2009, 12:48:13 AM »
I am not running, I am the valiant penguin warrior, here to stop you with BUBBLE.

Magetastic

• Denizen
  • Cooler than you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 31, 2009, 12:53:43 AM »
Huh. Well then. I'm beat. I mean, nothing beats Bubble! Especially not from a penguin!
Will I at least be spared, oh merciful(?) Penguin Warrior of Awesomeness? *humbly bows*
<%King_Meepdorah> ...
<+superaway> ...Uh oh.
<+RandomConsonant> ...

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 31, 2009, 01:00:49 AM »
*hits Magey with the pimp cane, lets him go* Take this as your warning for being related to Excal.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 31, 2009, 01:04:35 AM »
'tis not a waste of time. This project has only gotten so far from good discussion and feedback, so don't let that hold you back from speaking.

(And here I am waiting for Excal's big epic summary post.)