Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10
Discussion / Re: Theorycrafting! (Because I like competitive metagames too much)
« Last post by SnowFire on March 08, 2024, 09:17:49 AM »
On the classic NES Tetris note, there was an interesting video recently for a deep dive to see why that crash is "really" happening, why it only happens at high levels, and why it's erratic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vAbRx9obM1M
Discussion / Re: Marvel Snap - Cards, Analysis, etc.
« Last post by Tide on March 06, 2024, 08:03:43 PM »
Another one following the same trend - Yondu

Cost: 1
Power: 2 (Par)
Ability: On Reveal – Destroy the top card of your opponent’s deck
Ideal Turn to Play: Turn 1. Yondu is a pretty weak card overall (more on the analysis). However, one of the real values he will always provide is scouting. For that reason, a Turn 1 Yondu is better than a Turn 6 Yondu.
Archetype: Destroy

Uses:
So we’ve recently looked at 2 cards that are powerful but often mis-conceptualized. Yondu is continuing that trend but he’s in the opposite direction. Yondu is probably the biggest noob trap in the game in that he looks really good on the surface but in practice, he’s pretty weak and only really works in one type of deck.

Why is Yondu weak? Well, let’s look at it like this. If instead of “Destroy”, we just reword Yondu’s ability to “Put the top card of an opponent’s deck to the bottom”, does your opinion of him change? It shouldn’t because fundamentally, he’s basically doing the same thing, but for a lot of players, they see “Destroy” and think they are getting rid of an opponent’s actual play. Like sure, there are times when Yondu hits a win condition of the opponent’s – like blowing up a Galactus or Hela – and it results in an instant Turn 1 retreat. But you could also hit something else – maybe a tech card that doesn’t work against you. If that’s the case, all you’ve done is help your opponent’s skip a bad draw.   

Once you understand that last bit, Yondu’s appeal quickly diminishes. He can easily help your opponent and you have no way of really knowing. In fact, I’m pretty sure you can mathematically prove that playing Yondu actually does nothing. As long as your opponent has cards in their deck, you don’t really deny them any deck draw. All he’s actually doing practically is showing both you and your opponent what he/she won’t be playing with this round.

This kind of leaves Yondu as a card with 3 fringe uses. The first is that because he counts as a Destroy, he helps out with Death’s cost reduction and Knull’s overall power. Both of these cards are common power plays for Destroy and Yondu being able to start the deck’s engine on Turn 1 has some merit, especially since he isn’t blow up your own cards. The second is that he works as an early scout. In continuing matches such as Conquest, this benefit is reduced. But on ladder, being able to take a peek at what your opponent might be playing (especially if they skip Turn 1) can give you a good idea of whether or not you are favored. And that in turn helps with more aggressive Snapping. Finally, Yondu works just as warm body in decks like Zoo or Flood where the goal is get a lot of bodies on the field, and then buffing them via Kazar/Blue Marvel and the ilk.

These aren’t particularly strong uses, but it is something – and keeps Yondu from complete irrelevancy. Like if you compare Yondu to Angel, both are kind of bad, but Yondu is notably less bad than Angel. You are at least doing something when Yondu hits the field – even if not much. Worth a deck slot though? Probably not unless you are early in your SNAP journey.

Common Combos:
Yondu -> whatever -> Knull: Yondu basically starts off the Destroy train. There are no Destroy enablers on Turn 1, so Yondu actually does provide a unique niche here. The destroyed power coming from your opponent’s deck helps and adds to your Knull’s power at end game.

Yondu -> Killmonger -> whatever -> Death: If you’re going the Death route, Yondu provides a 2 for 1 letting you blow up an opponent’s card, and then being blown up himself by Killmonger. However, if this is what you’re going for, Squirrel Girl provides an extra body for Killmonger so is still better value. Poor Yondu.

Rank/Tier: D tier. Practically speaking, Yondu isn’t doing much unless you are playing Destroy. And even in Destroy, he’s best thought of as an early scout rather than a serious play. He’s likely the first to be replaced.

Most Used Decks:
Generic Destroy
Cerebro 2

« Last post by Tide on March 04, 2024, 04:16:36 PM »
On the trend of cards people tend to misplay or have the wrong conceptions about: Jubilee

Cost: 4
Power: 1 (5 Below Par)
Ability: On Reveal - Play the next card from your deck to this location.
Ideal Turn to Play: Varies. Jubilee's ability gives her a wide window depending on what you're trying to do. If you're looking to fish a card that just needs to be played, then the later play the better since it'll more guarantee you get the right pull. On the other hand, if you need a card *right now* and you don't have it, Jubilee can be played as a last ditch hail mary.
Archetype: Support

Uses:
There are no real draw engine cards in SNAP because decks are so small (only 12 cards). Sure, you have Adam Warlock but he's very finnicky to work with and his recent "upgrade" turns him into a Turn 5 play that *may* have a chance at an extra draw. In short, "Draw cards from deck" abilities are in short supply in SNAP since they become pretty busted pretty easily. Everyone knows how powerful stuff like Ancestral Recall (that was the draw 3 from Magic right?) and Pot of Greed (from Yugioh) are, so it makes sense why you don't see this ability much - if at all - in SNAP. Jubilee is kind of the exception to the rule. She doesn't provide you with an extra card, but she's about as close to it as you can get.

Jubilee's ability lets you pull the next card from your deck on to the field. What this means is that, in essence, Jubilee replaces herself as a draw in exchange for another card that you would have gotten. So, instead of seeing 9 cards in a game of SNAP, Jubs lets you see 10. When you are playing combo decks that need or want to have certain pieces, Jubilee becomes uniquely powerful in that she's another way to dig deeper down into the deck if your natural draw doesn't give you what you want. If you recall back to my post regarding old Chavez and consistency, Jubilee adds that to these decks and makes them way more playable. Even discounting that, if you build a deck with a lot of high costs, Jubilee's ability to summon them for 4 (possibly 3 energy) can be a complete steal. Summoning an Infinaut for 4 is pretty good versus the practical 11 you would need to play him otherwise. Yeah, you may just have created a Shang magnet, but the point is that you can play that big boi significantly earlier. Now an opponent either has to dedicate their Shang to that lane or abandon it completely, letting you reinforce the others.

SNAP does complicate some things because so many things are about timing. Since she summons a card on to the field, there are drawbacks specific to SNAP that make it such that she isn't an Auto-include into every deck. Most notable is the consideration of play space. You are only allowed 4 cards at any particular lane, and Jubilee with her 1 power occupies basically 2 spaces for the chance to see an extra card. In short, your deck best be built on having a "less is more" mentality because Jubs can quickly flood a location and restrict the number of plays you can make. Tech cards also become tricky to include because they are so timing specific. Playing Jubilee in hopes of reaching your Infinaut but pulling out a Shang or Rogue sucks. Not only do you lose the tech card, but you basically spent 4 energy to do nothing. You basically either have to play Jubilee with the tech card in hand (so it will never be summoned) or just eliminate them from the deck completely.

The key to making Jubilee work in your deck is to structure it such that any pull she makes should be a good one. I've already mentioned using a bunch of high-cost cards with her, but also combo decks that don't mind their pieces coming in at different turns also hugely appreciate Jubilee. The most notable of these is Tribunal. Tribunal is an extremely finnicky and fragile deck that basically requires you to play a 17 Energy play to reach its wincon. A standard game of SNAP only has 21 Energy, so this is actually *much* harder than it sounds. Jubilee gives those decks another life-line since she can pull one of the necessary cards for 2 Energy less OR pull the required combo card by being played on the last turn. For this reason, she's commonly paired with Iron Lad as a way to basically play the entire deck. What better way of ensuring your combo goes off but to be able to play every card you have?

At the end of the day, Jubilee's a great card because her function is so unique. She's not buffing cards or disrupting an opponent. In fact, in an ideal game, you probably actually *don't* want to see Jubilee because that means you'd have picked up another card you slotted into your deck - basically an important synergistic piece. But the ability to also cheat a card into play widens that and gives her new dimensions. Her play window is as wide as whatever you're trying to do. If you need to pull a Magik for whatever reason, Jubilee's window is then 3-5. On the other hand, if you're trying to pull Tribunal, her play window expands all the way to the end of the game because Tribunal just needs to be on the field. She's basically giving you a way to see more of your deck when you play her and there's a lot of merit to that.

Common Combos:
Jubilee -> Ironlad: Part of the two card combo I was referring to that let's you dig down into your deck. Jubilee let's you pull the next one, then Iron Lad scans then one after that. When combined with the below, let's you see your entire deck. But Jubilee/Lad is just a generally decent combo line if you know your deck has good targets and because your hand sucks at the moment.

Magik -> Jubilee: See above. Magik bringing the game to turn 7 means you get to see 10 instead of 9 cards. Combined with the above, now you get to see the entire hand. But even without, Jubs and Magik let's you see the 11th card, which is still pretty damn good.

Jubilee -> Mr. Negative: Other than a last ditch hail mary attempt to play Negative, Jubilee can be really good here because she can call forth an inverted card and let you draw an extra one as a result. There are some situations of course where this isn't favourable (such as pulling Negative Mystique), but also cases where it can be highly destructive. Notably, it's possible to pull an Inverted Jane Foster for 1 or 4 Energy instead of playing for 6, and then drawing everything else in the deck that is 0 cost.

Rank/Tier: A tier. Jubilee is about as close as you can get to a "Draw one card" ability. It should be pretty obvious why this is powerful.

Most Used Decks:
Negative
Tribunal
Hela Discard
Lockjaw Lotto
Unranked Games / Re: Triangle Strategy
« Last post by SnowFire on March 03, 2024, 11:36:46 PM »
Having finally beaten the game, an Extremely Not Important comment...  So for Travis...  who is a four-way splitpath PC and thus probably not the most votable anyway...  he has a choice at tier 2 between upgrading Mug's damage and upgrading Backwards Toss to reduce the TP cost by 1 (from 2 to 1).  It seems like Backwards Toss (210 dmg) deals more damage than Mug+ (202 dmg).  Ergo, think he's picked the wrong upgrade here - if he upgrades Backwards Toss, he can spam that forever.  This means that his 3-turn damage goes up by a mighty 8 damage, as the current one has him going 2x BT -> Mug, and he gets mildly, mildly better long-term damage in some sort of stallfest vs. a healer.

EDIT: Also, as an AI note, if Anna is the only PC left alive and she goes for a pure Take Cover cheese strat, it kinda just wins.  The AI gets confused with nothing targetable and just kinda wanders around doing nothing, they won't "blind fire" area of effects at her location or anything.  Might get her an upgrade to Godlike if given full credit?  I guess the real interesting test would be vs. the Hireophant, who has a map-attack ability, to let Anna be the only one alive and also have more than 3 TP.  My suspicion is that the AI still won't do anything.

Also, figuring out how to take boss AI is always tricky, but Erika deserves like negative credit for having Oil as a move.  She'll use it if she's bored near the start of the battle, which is often closer to her allies than the PCs, and if you have someone with fire-elemental capabilities (or just a Firestone), you can set HER on fire, too.  Unsure if her 30% Fire Resist applies to start-of-turn terrain flames, though.
Fairy Chess with 960 rules.

---

So...something that has been a thing recently at high level chess is "chess 960" with pieces scrambled.

It's called chess 960 (also called Fischer Random) because there are 960 possible configurations.

Here's the rules for the placement orientations:

The king must be between the rooks (to enable castling)

The bishops must be on different colours

Here's how the math works out for that.

Place the two bishops first, one of them goes on black, one of them goes on white.  4 possible squares for the black bishop, 4 possible squares for the white bishop.  16 configurations.

Next place the queen.  6 remaining squares.  16*6 configurations.

next place the two knights.  5 remaining squares, so 4+3+2+1 = 10 configurations.

3 squares remaining for the king and the two rooks.  the king is forced to go in the middle, so no decisions here.

So we're left with 16*6*10 = 960.

---

Anyway, so...I was thinking about Capablanca chess, and thinking that going up to a 10x8 board is kinda meh, I'd prefer to keep an 8x8 board.  But what if we blend Chess 960 with a few fairy chess pieces?

So that would be like...

Archbishop (Bishop+knight)
Empress (Rook+knight)
Guard (moves like king)

You would have 0-1 each of the heavy pieces (Queen, Archbishop, Empress) and then 0-2 of the minor pieces (Knight, Rook, Guard, Bishop)

Mostly I was wondering how many configurations this would be.

Well, first of all, we need to figure out how many different mixtures of pieces there could randomly be.

So it's 11 pieces crammed into 7 slots.

Need to pick 4 to exclude from any given game.  OK, so this is already a nontrivial calculation, the binomial coefficient here would suggest 330 possible combinations.  But a bunch of those are duplicated (doesn't matter if we remove the first or the second knight) and some are duplicated many times (if you remove 1 knight, 1 bishop, 1 guard, 1 rook, there's 16 ways to do that which are identical).

So ok, binomial coefficients aren't going to save us.

We have 11 pieces, but only 7 unique pieces.  So no removal has more than 7 options.  This puts an upper limit on the number of options at 7^4/24 = 100ish.

A bit of spreadsheet is telling me the actual answer is about 62?  ish?

Of those, the most common case seems to be 2-of two minor pieces, 2 pieces excluded, 1-of all remaining pieces.

The number of configurations of that are...

The two ways the first set of minor pieces can be configured (assuming it's knights or guards not bishops or rooks that would have additional restrictions) 28 placements for the 2-of minor piece.  Next set of minor pieces will have 15 placements, and then x4 x3 x2 x1 for the remaining pieces.

So...10,080 configurations for that piece set.  Multiply by 62 for the number of different piece sets.  Around 620k configurations.

---

Now, I mean, granted, I have no clue if this is a good idea or not.  One issue with having only one bishop is that when you mirror the position it leads to opposite colour bishops on move 0 (and opposite colour bishops are often draw-ish positions).  So maybe bishops need to be 2 or 0 but never 1-of.

A board without rooks means no possibility of castling, potentially.  Is that a problem?  IDK.  Maybe 2 rooks need to be locked in and the other pieces can be randomized.  Not sure.

One issue that apparently came up in the original capablanca chess was one pawn that was undefended on move 0, which was claimed to give white an advantage.  (This was fixed by shuffling pieces).  Now, I mean, it depends why this happens, but it's possible this happens because of the Fairy chess pieces (specifically the Archbishop/Empress being able to jump over their own pawns and then threaten black pawns before black has moved).  This could be a unique challenge that does not come up in chess 960 just due to the nature of pieces that don't exist in that format.
Baldur's Gate 3

So I decided against my better instincts to try Baldur's Gate 3, since a lot of people from various directions have been recommending it to me.

First of all, whew! My file ended up being 78 hours, which is longer than it usually takes me to play games. I am generally not much of a completionist for sidequests, but I did the character quests which added a significant chunk of game clock.

Lae'zal is probably my overall favorite character (and I even skipped some of her plot on accident in the earlygame, so I'll need to fix that), but I found all of their plotlines quite compelling. Wyll and Karlach are both really good people but have just enough edge to be fun. Some highlights from the NPC cast include Raphael, Dame Aylin, Isobel, Gortash, Orin, and Rolan. They did a good job of making the villains reasonably fun while also making you hate them. I feel like Astarion and Shadowheart get the best character quests (with the caveat that I missed a lot of Laz'ael's), Wyll's and Gale's are both decent, and Karlach's definitely feels a little less fleshed out than the others. Not getting to meet Zariel is definitely a bummer.

The voice acting is really good too. I thought all of the main characters have great voice acting. I think voice acting can really make a cast shine brighter and this cast definitely does!

Setting-wise, the game does a great job. I really like how the different locations feel lived in, especially Baldur's Gate itself. I think the plot is only 'decent' but the game really thrives on his character interactions and confrontations.

Gameplay is kind of SRPG layered with random die rolls and 5e DnD elements. It would be quite a daunting system to get used to if you weren't familiar with 5e already, but thankfully I am. Even still, there are so many options! Jump command being so important is odd to me. I really enjoyed a lot of the boss fights; Dror Ragzlin, Phase Spider Matriarch, Marcus, the Chosen Three, Viconia, Lorroakan, Cazador... the MVP fight has to be Raphael though. Fantastic music, gripping and difficult fight, lots of moving parts. His taunting and sneering at me…. hot.

Party balance is good, although I have to admit that LVP Rogue is pretty apt to my DnD experience. I adored playing as an Oath of the Ancients Paladin. Would really like to try Bard next, since for some reason there is no Bard PC at all! I was really surprised.

My biggest complaints would be that the game is glitchy, a little finnicky/too much information thrown at you, and that it has a protagonist that doesn't speak except for your dialogue. And the DnD DNA means that chance plays a large factor in combat at times.

I'm definitely interested to play it again pretty soon. I'd like to play as Dark Urge and get Minthara because I want to see what she's all about. Sad to lose some of my PCs but I'd like to get her authentically and play the game that way. My ending was me turning into an illithid and roaming Avernus with Wyll and Karlach. (presumably in a polycule, but wyll won't admit it) At the reunion, I tried to eat Gale's brain but I managed to stop myself. Hooray!

Gameplay notes:

I played as Oath of the Ancients Paladin which is overall solid. Their 'Turn the Faithless' really only came in handy a couple times, but the Healing Radiance was frequently incredibly useful. Really like the mixed fighter and mage role, and Divine Smite is great.

Battlemaster fighter + great weapon fighting feat + level 11 + potion of cloud giant strength for the final battle = ridiculous damage output. Fighter is overall good in this game but especially late after they get a third swing. I think the final form of the final boss took like ~120 a turn just from Lae'zel, which was pretty silly.

Wyll was the overall MVP -- Warlock is dumb as fuck. The armor that adds Cha modifier to cantrips... please. He did like 1d10 + double cha mod with each shot which is ridiculous from range. Cloud of Daggers saved my ass so many times against bosses, and fireball is fireball.

I gave Gale the boring-but-effective Evocation Wizard build, which was definitely really good! His Cantrip game was definitely weaker than Wyll's which makes me inclined to say he's a worse unit but still can't really go wrong with the Wizard arsenal.

Shadowheart... respecced to Light cleric, as I joked about. Fireball/Warding Flare/Radiance of the Dawn/Spirit Guardians/Guardian of Faith are all great, And having a healing battery to extend time between rests is always very useful! Lategame didn't get as much use from her.

Karlach is decent, definitely hits her stride in midgame, but felt like she ended up a little overshadowed by Lae'zel ultimately. Lots of HP and tanking power vs. physical enemies though.

Astarion was probably the worst of the origin characters because Rogue isn't great. I did Assassin for him. I've heard that Thief might have more interesting options. Cunning Action is good utility, but his bulk and damage isn't wonderful.

I didn't really use Halsin or Jaheira much. I was more excited about the origin units and usually ran out of steam with my main character before needing to use them.

I really loved this game. Definitely a big competitor for game of the year, and it's only March 1!!!
« Last post by Tide on March 01, 2024, 03:57:06 PM »
Let's talk about the sassy queen herself. And no, I'm not referring to Emma Frost, but instead: Magik

Cost: 3
Power: 2 (2 Below Par)
Ability: On Reveal - Change the location of this lane to Limbo (Extends the current game from 6 turns to 7 turns). This card loses its effect if played after Turn 5.
Ideal Turn to Play: 3-5. Obviously a dead card on 6. Magik's best time to be played will really come down to the deck and what you're planning. In combo heavy decks that have steep energy requirements and tough curves, Magik wants to be played as early as possible. For decks that appreciate her but it's not a death sentence if she doesn't come on to the board late, then it is better for her to be played late so an opponent has a reduced amount of time to play a follow up real estate agent and pull the rug from under you.
Archetype: Real Estate Agent / Combo Support

Uses:
Magik is one of those cards that I feel a lot of people misuse. Players think "Add an additional Turn" and immediately think that let's them do all sort of crazy stuff or adding consistency...but completely forgetting the fact that this also applies to an opponent since SNAP requires 2 players. Having a potential for a Turn 7 game can be all kinds of wacky so it is often best to decide if your deck wants a Turn 7 to begin with BEFORE slotting Magik into your deck.

Let's get down to the basics. Magik doesn't "Add 1 turn to the game". Rather, she flips a lane's location to "Limbo" which reads, "There are now 7 turns this game". This wording is very important because it means if Limbo is changed to another location, the Turn 7 goes away. This proverbial "rug pull" is what keeps Magik from flying much higher in terms usability. She can be outright countered by real estate agents so the promise of a Turn 7 is only as strong as whatever safeguards you are using in place to keep it there. If she did the former of adding 1 turn for certain, she'll probably be a S rank or A rank card as once the turn is added, it would theoretically never go away. Although that does create some unending games if an opponent then plays Magik on Wong, so let's be thankful that the description is the latter.

Because Limbo can be flipped at any time, if your deck wants a Turn 7, you're best off running one of Magik's allies in the deck. The most common and easily accessible of these is Cosmo. For 3 Energy, you'll stop other On Reveals - which all Real Estate agents are and force an opponent to play a much higher cost if they are trying to catch you with your pants down. Luckily, Cosmo and Magik work in several decks together - most notably Shenaut - where Turn 7 is basically a wincon. So guarding Magik isn't terribly difficult, but you do need to pay an Energy cost to do it. The higher the cost you pay, the better the protection and sometimes this can be very worthwhile. If your plan on Turn 6 is basically to wait as in Shenaut decks, dropping Leech down on 5 makes perfect sense. Not only do you pretty much 100% guard Limbo, but you nuke your opponent's hand of all their abilities, which can be game ending on its own.

Determining whether Magik makes sense for the deck really comes down to how badly you need that extra turn. Like Wave, Armor and Cosmo, since her effect hits both players, you have to make sure your deck can play a potential Turn 7 better than an opponent. Some decks are rely on a Turn 7 to function. Shenaut has already been mentioned, but stuff such as Tribunal also pretty much rely on it. On the other hand, despite being 3 cost, Magik does less well in Surfer because Surfer decks tend to rely on options and teching to secure wins. Their point totals are often more middle of the road (high teens to low 20s) so adding a Turn 7 can be real problematic when your output is limited. Then there are decks where they don't need Turn 7 but having a turn 7 basically makes them explode. Generic Destroy and Mr. Negative both like having Magik but the lack of a Turn 7 doesn't kill them. They just scale up really well with an extra turn, so playing Magik against these decks is generally bad unless you have tech cards ready in the wings.

Ultimately, Magik is another support option which are better in combo heavy decks versus those that do not. Adding an extra turn isn't always beneficial but players should be aware of her increased frequency. At the time when I first started playing, Magik was actually 5 cost, giving her only a 1 turn window. This made her much more limited in most cases since she had to compete with other 5 drops. But at 3? She's much more flexible and being able to extend the game by 1 also means extending draws by 1. For that alone, a lot of players end up saving a slot for her, when the decision should really be more about overall deck objectives and cohesion.

Common Combos:
Magik -> Cosmo: The first of the few combos that aims to guard your Limbo. Playing Cosmo prevents any other real estate agent from coming in and removing Limbo from under you. They can still do it, but it requires a lot more footwork or energy cost to do so.

Magik -> Legion: A more extreme version of the above. Playing Legion on your Magik turns all locations to Limbo. That stops the singular real estate agent from coming in to do damage. Like with Cosmo, an opponent can still theoretically get around it, but it isn't easy and much more complicated. Unlike Cosmo, Legion also relies on having priority. Cosmo being Ongoing means once you plop him down, you're good to go. With Legion, you need to ensure you are flipping first - otherwise an opponent can pre-empt you.

Magik -> Leech: The above two methods not satisfying enough for you at guaranteeing a Turn 7? Try Leech. Nuking your opponent's hand of their abilities will in 99% of cases, pretty much rip their ability to remove Limbo away from them. That 1% chance is obviously higher since you could theoretically top deck a real estate agent, but Leech is about as good as you can get.

Magik ->Storm/Rhino/SWitch: While this doesn't generate much power, it is definitely one of the few ways Magik can be used offensively. Fool your opponent into thinking a Turn 7 is coming, then pull the plug yourself. Best done with a bunch of high powered cards so you can get a lead going into Turn 6 when you snipe your own Limbo. For this reason, Surfer is great here as Magik, Rhino and Storm are all 3 costs.

Magik + Mr. Negative -> One of the major benefactors to Magik and the additional upside here is that Magik doesn't wreck Mr. Negative's curve. You could Turn 3 Magik into Turn 4 Mr. Negative or vice versa and both plays are still legit. Both get you an additional draw too, which as noted in Mr. Negative's write up, amps up how stupidly OP your endgame will be.

Rank/Tier: B tier. Magik certainly had a glow up from when she was first introduced. Adding an extra turn and 7 energy allows for more powerful combos and opens the doorway to new decks that otherwise wouldn't be possible. However, the ability to strip Limbo out from under you means you're sometimes playing a game of chicken more than a game of SNAP. She's not for every deck and decks and since the added turn also benefits the opponent, one has to be certain they will get more out of it then an opponent before putting her on to the field.

Most Used Decks:
Shenaut
Generic Destroy
Hela Discard
Tribunal
Metroid Fusion - I got 100% items. And then I realized that there's an ending for getting 100% in 2 hours and I'd never gotten it, so my task was clear. 2 hours is definitely not too far from speedrun territory (the world record is a bit over an hour as I recall) so it's a bit tight, but I had fun plotting out a route (no clue if it's the best) to snag everything and then executing it. Took a few save loads on some of the more difficult items, but less than I feared. Ended up at 1:38 which is hardly great (included several major errors which I decided to shrug off) but good enough for me.

Fire Emblem Engage - This is the ninth mainline FE game I've completed three times. The women only run is done. Some notes:

-Chapter 1 is in theory trickier without Vander but is still largely scripted.
-Chapter 2 is... tricky without Vander for sure, but manageable.
-Chapter 3 is the hardest map of the run without question. Enemies come at you in waves of several, and I only had three units (Alear, Framme, Etie). Took several tries to execute a plan to survive the opening round, and the boss is just hellish since she basically can't be damaged except by Alear's personal boosting one of her allies and even then only barely, and she's carrying a vulnerary to heal and drag things out further! Ack. Eventually I manage it. I don't want to imagine what this map would be like if the pegasus knights had even 1 more HP so Etie would miss one-shots on them, y'know like how FE normally treats its earlygame archers.
-Chapter 4 and 5 are tougher than normal, and I'm unable to keep Louis from dying, the only casualty of the run. Still, our lord and saviour Chloe joins and that helps a lot. Celine's nice too.
-From Chapter 7 on the game plays fairly normally, with lack of Seadall being the only major noteworthy thing.

Alear (180/90): Griffin Knight with Lucina. So I'd read about Bonded Shield (engage command which protects adjacent allies of same movement type from first hits, doubles/braves/chain attacks go through) but never used it as much as it probably deserves. This playthrough... yeah I decided to leverage it more. I didn't always rely on it but typically used it on one or two turns in most fights, and it's really good at protecting a fast mounted mage. Alear is a good user because of the support list and personal.
Framme (13/13): Staffbot. Was basically only used when deployment was very high, but hey, she was one of the top fourteen, so that's something. Chain Guard has some nifty uses early but way too much worse than Bonded Shield later.
Etie (183/116): Warrior, used Marth earlygame. Her high kill count says more about her high availability and lack of staff access or utility than anything else, she was actually #13 and definitely benched in a bunch of maps. Good at killing fliers with Radiant Bow midgame but eventually even that falls off. Perhaps I should have forged her a brave or something for the lategame but I was worried I'd be too underlevelled for even that to work.
Celine (179/99): Sage with Byleth. Thyrsus good, Byleth's boost to magic and speed very good, Goddess Dance busted as always. Generally competent magical unit at most points.
Chloe (312/232): Wyvern with Sigurd. Just ridiculous. Post-well I think Chloe has a case to be the best physical unit in Engage, just dominates from the moment she joins and never lets up, has Canter when her competition doesn't in part 2 and then Lance Power plus her innate speed on Wyvern (which she reaches without a Second Seal) is just kinda amazing forever. Sigurd's a very good emblem, canter is extremely good and having it without a skill slot rules, and move is always the best stat.
Lapis (22/15): Filler in Chapter 7-11 (held Leif) and again in 14. You can make her work but I didn't really bother.
Citrinne (176/105): Mage Knight with Micaiah. Micaiah giving staves to someone with high magic is always nice. Kinda rocks right out of the gate due to promotion giving her speed but it does fall off eventually. Still the Micaiah user always has uses and her Levin Sword does wonderful things to enemy armours.
Jade (7/2): Filler in Chapter 10-11, not much to say.
Ivy (224/171): Lindwurm with Lyn. Here we are, default "canon" Ivy. Her naturally high magic combined with Lyn's high speed leads to someone who can easily reach ORKO thresholds with Elfire/Bolganone, Speedtaker to really get rolling and then Bonded Shield lets her clear out enemy formations like a champ. Would have been even better if I'd thought to put Celica engraving on a Fire (and upgrade it to Elfire) but still was probably the MVP of the run.
Hortensia (156/35): Sleipnir with Corrin. Flying 3 range Corrin user OP, it is known. Hortensia can't do the damage with it Ivy does, and the battle/kill numbers speak for themselves, she was always chipping enemies to freeze them and debuff them. She uses staves sometimes too of course, since she is good at that, but not nearly as much as she did evil debuffy combat. Corrin also lets her take hits with her beefy +15 HP, how novel.
Goldmary (143/78): Wyvern with Roy. Roy lets her easily get Sword Power so that was her build. It'd be nice if she were a bit faster but the offence is adequate (high atk) and the bulk is ridiculous, we're talking something like 45 def/30 res with Binding Blade by the end. And Hold Out for the extra hit at the end. Not quite as durable as the Ike-user and also no free Reposition, but significantly better offence.
Timerra (139/88): Picket with Eirika. Despite favouring her (I gave her the C14 boots, they're from her castle!) she was one of the less useful PCs overall. I gave her Lance Power (though it took longer to get than Chloe because of needing Sigurd levels via bond fragments) but the offensive stats just aren't great and proc skills aren't as useful as just building up reliable kill numbers, and don't stack with crits as nicely as you might like. No Eirika user is ever BAD lategame, mind, Sieglinde rocks (though kinda highlights a flaw of the build, Eirika wants Sword Power, not Lance).
Merrin (125/71): Wolf Knight. The opposite of Timerra, I did not favour her at all, never even giving her an emblem until the end when Marth rejoins. But she's so good midgame anyway, those bases. With no favouritism dagger offence does fall off a hell of a lot, major damage issues toward the end and there's no Knife Power to fix this, and Marth doesn't really do enough the way Eirika or Roy can.
Panette (170/110): Warrior with Leif. Standard Wrath/Vantage Panette build. Pretty good! You obviously have to watch numbers but nobody else has her power/crit combo (and good hit too!) so she pulls the build off well, impressively so considering it uses such a low-demand emblem.
Anna (11/4): I'm impressed I somehow got her 4 kills, though I did use her until Chapter 11 I suppose. Anna used as filler is very bad. Hey guys do you want Boucheron's bases four chapters later? Yeah me neither.
Yunaka (48/25): Filler for Chapter 6-11 and 14. To her credit, is better at it than my other filler units, Thief is a good earlygame class.
Saphir (99/42): Warrior with Ike. So Panette used Ike until she got Wrath and Leif. Conveniently Saphir joins shortly after, so Ike's gotta go somewhere! Her build also lends itself to Wrath since she gets a hit boost at low HP, but the power's no Panette so I didn't try to pull of Vantage/Wrath with her. Okay filler, durable and longbow chain attacks and all that.
Veyle (52/22): Dragon with Celica. So Celica's Echo gets range+1 on dragons, that's actually pretty sexy for Caduceus-esque counter ignoring. Too bad about her HP, and also the lack of staff access (outside Celica's Recover, which is nice to be fair) but she pulled her weight decently as magical might late without needing much investment or taking an in-demand emblem.

Was fun.

Since then the two things I've played are Troubleshooter and Unicorn Overlord since y'know I like SRPGs. Troubleshooter looks kinda interesting but is a bit of a slow starter, definitely seems like a game with too many systems for its own good so far.
Blazblue: Entropy Effect (Steam)

Not a fighting game, but an action Roguelite (more of a Dead Cells/Hades-like). Pick a Blazblue character and kill enemies in a sidescroller.
You get different powerups based on your character and based on different elements. I beat the game, although there's more endings. Typical Blazblue nonsensical story. Took a while to get into, but it grew on me after a while. Takes a lot of design elements from Hades, so if you're looking for something that's kind of like that check it out.
Starcraft

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_LcMkuAiGw

Multiple guardians and devourers in an ASL game (doesn't win, but economic damage was dealt early to the zerg).  And a few other goofy strats.  Lurker rush ZvT (failed as it always seems to in ASL).  Battlecruiser rush TvT (failed, but showed some promise).   Proxy robo against a terran (succeeded but Artosis said that the terran just needed to build a second bunker and greedily tried to hold with 1 bunker).
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10