Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194897 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #3800 on: November 11, 2015, 12:45:35 AM »
It is.  AC actively polished and smoothed out the combat loop significantly over the first 3 games.  The jump from 1-2 is massive, 2-Bro is pretty big as well.  Revelations is about where I would peg Moredoores at (Batman finishers are not as good in a stealth/climbing primary game compared to Asylum's railroad action game).  Revelations-3 is probably where the series plateaus in changes, but AC3 is pretty streamlined.[/q]

That'd do it then. I only played 1 and 2.

Not saying to go out and do it or anything, but if you have Brotherhood from a bundle or something and want to play something like it, I recommend it.

It is an interesting play from the analytical side of watching something grow and taking the original game's progression and compressing it.  Brotherhood is essentially the entirety of AC2 + a bit more that takes half the time to get through.  It is really dense play compared to the original game (which isn't bad for how much it strings out the progression, it is there for story reasons as well as pacing).

I really really like Brotherhood on reflection.  I have a play through of 2 I jump in and out of that is nearly done and keen to revisit Ass Bro (but that won't happen until the glut of summer releases is done most likely).
Edit - Holy shit we are bad at forums
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3801 on: November 11, 2015, 02:05:22 AM »
I think part of it is that idle games strip down the skinner box so that you see every part of what's happening to you down to the nuts and bolts. You click a shitty monster until it dies, you get some money, you upgrade your dudes and your numbers go up so you can kill more shitty monsters. The loop is short and satisfying (and a shorter loop is better so that you do avoid all of the Disgaea/NIS bullshit as Fen says), but maybe the shame comes from the very fact that there is something satisfying about it even though it's abstracted to a very bare level. When you get to the point when you can make deep runs just by idling then the game loses its luster.

TimeClickers has better "gameplay" but I used the online version and my save got erased so I stopped forever.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3802 on: November 11, 2015, 02:25:11 AM »
Clicker Heroes is kind of amazing in that the idle method has been calculated to be the most efficient even after your first Ascension so long as you save scum to get the right ancients.  You should only really ever click to get your first bit started then to push through a boss or two to cash out N+1/2 tiers higher.

It pares back the mechanics and then compresses the gameplay loop super quick and even then when it is jammed in your face completely transparently, you still fall for it.

This is why we psychology isn't it?

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3803 on: November 11, 2015, 05:06:22 AM »
Even before you're done with the Striborg Line, you have a dozen plot holes involving the Watch Situation.  By game's law, Victor's Watch should have disappeared immediately upon entering the Prime, but it keeps blinking in and out by convenience.  And instead of returning where it was (in the middle of nowhere because they're on a speeding train) it keeps popping up around Elle's neck.  Then, when the game sets up its big return in the endgame, it once again completely ignores mechanics to do so.  Victor's Watch should be destroyed with Victor's Dimension!   Just like Elle should have when she was in her Home Dimension when it was destroyed!  But the game ignores alllllllll this shit constantly to keep going with its own patented level of retardation.

Ludger sacrificing himself for Elle is BRAVE AND NOBLE!  But Elle sacrificing herself for Ludger is apparently not nearly as honorable.  To say nothing of Elle just dying anyway because of the 1 Million hit.  Except, oh wait, once the Trials doors open no more Fractured Dimensions can form, which means Ludger's sacrifice doesn't even work, Origin saves her.  All because winning the Trial doesn't stop transformations, but losing it does?  What contrived dopey reasoning.

And of course, Bisley suddenly decides to drop his manipulator self and suddenly confront Ludger.  He directly antagonizes Ludger and forces him into a fight for NO REASON!  All Bisley had to do was say, "once I have Origin enslaved I'll save Elle" and BAM he'd win.  Even if he's lying that's still better than picking a pointless fight.

Then we have the miasma and soul energy excuses for why the Trial must end.  The latter of which doesn't exist outside one cutscene and is blatantly made worse by FD destruction as is.  The miasma meanwhile, relies on all the souls of Fractured people not being displaced by the Prime variant.  Alt Milla and Prime Milla are two different beings, human and spirit, and can't coexist, so neither should fractured souls and Prime souls but the game just ignores that.  And even if the did, the Fractured Miasma would be pushed aside by the Prime miasma.

These...are not as big plot holes as you want them to be.  I think you just didn't like the plot and are seriously coming off as "NO! THIS IS STUPID!"  The watch thing is about the only one, but I think the logic there is tied to the Key of Kresnik nonsense, and honestly as I said, the entire thing yo just mentioned is LITERALLY TIED TO ELLE.  Victor's entire plot nonsense is only relevant because Elle exists.  Without Elle, that entire subplot explodes and it'd never get brought up, never needs to be addressed, and the game does not suffer for it.  So congrats on only proving my point further.  Though "this should have happened to Elle" is not a plot hole like you claim it is; they already established exceptions can exist, several times.  How those exceptions come to be isn't established, which is a different problem altogether (not a plot hole, just the game not explaining itself).

Your second point...again, literally what I said: Every issue the game has is related to Elle's nonsense.  You literally just said it's contrived and stupid because...it revolves around the Elle plot point...which again, IS MY EXACT POINT.

Bisley's situation is...again, about Elle!  And no, it wouldn't work.  The game makes it very clear that Bakur's solution is not something Ludger or the rest of the cast wants.  Did you completely forget the "I want to enslave spirits!" nonsense?  That's kind of enough of a reason for Ludger and the entire team to want to stop him from getting his wish.  The "he could use Elle as a bargaining chip", again, works itself away if Elle wasn't in the story to begin with, which is the point I cannot emphasize enough.  The game's plot problems all stem from Elle, and pretty much every problem you bring up is "Elle exists, therefor this is a problem."

Regarding Miasma...I believe the game does establish that Canaan follows it's own rules, not the Prime Dimensions, because it's at the heart of all dimensions, thereby the prime dimension rules need not be followed.  This isn't contrived, it's a typical "Dimension between Dimensions" that exists in many mutli-verse story-lines.  Also, did you forget P. Milla is literally not in the Prime Dimension for most of the game?  This is how F. Milla can survive.  It's that two of the same thing cannot exist in the Prime Dimension at the same time, not that the Fractured versions disappear if the Prime one is still around.  As luck would have it, F. Milla happens to be sacrificed for P. Milla anyway.  I don't see how "one is human and the other is spirit!" is relevant here; they are the same being in truth, just not the same physical manifestation. 
Not to mention I don't think the Fractured Miasma has anything to do with Origin's scenario, because it's not actually Fractured Miasma, it's just created by the existence of Fractured Dimensions which if they still exist, the Miasma exists. 

Again, this cannot be emphasized enough: Just because you don't like something and think it's contrived doesn't make it a fact, and it's not necessarily a plot-hole.  You didn't actually address a legitimate plothole save for the Watch (which browsing things, that seems to be the only major one people note.)  It's more like you're conveniently ignoring details the game did address just so you can label something a plothole and claim plot is worse than it actually is.  It's ok not to like something but to try and twist things to be different than they are?  Nope, not going to buy it.  This entire post is you going "I FIND THIS CONTRIVED AND STUPID!" and you completely ignored my initial point of "Every single problem with this plot is tied to Elle's nonsense" which...guess what?  YOU JUST PROVED FURTHER!  Since just about everyone of your complaints is a factor of the game that only exists because they were trying to make Elle important.  It definitely feels like the story was written first, then they jack-hammered in this character and pushed her to be the Female Lead, and didn't actually do it properly.  A lot of the game's issues in story do suddenly work themselves out if Elle doesn't exist.

Victor's subplot? Gone (as is the entirety of Chapter 12.)  The pocketwatch inconsistency? Gone.  The nonsense in the ending with Ludger's decision? Gone.  The Bakur not using it as an ace up his sleeve? Gone.

I'm not saying the story is good, but I think you're just flailing and throwing shit at more than it needs to be and you pretty much proved the exact point I made anyway: A lot of the game's problems in writing are hinged heavily on Elle's existence.  She is a very superficially important character, important only because the game randomly demands she plays a role that is very much not necessary in anyway, shape or form.  Write her out, a lot of the problems work themselves out in simpler fashion; she's an added element that complicated everything, added unneeded subplots and details to the story, and messes everything up.  The whole Normal vs. True Ending scenario literally only exists because of the Elle factor for example.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3804 on: November 11, 2015, 09:09:30 AM »
Quote from: Funhousemouse
blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

Ladies, ladies. I hate both of you. You can stop talking now.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #3805 on: November 11, 2015, 11:29:03 AM »
Even before you're done with the Striborg Line, you have a dozen plot holes involving the Watch Situation.  By game's law, Victor's Watch should have disappeared immediately upon entering the Prime, but it keeps blinking in and out by convenience.  And instead of returning where it was (in the middle of nowhere because they're on a speeding train) it keeps popping up around Elle's neck.  Then, when the game sets up its big return in the endgame, it once again completely ignores mechanics to do so.  Victor's Watch should be destroyed with Victor's Dimension!   Just like Elle should have when she was in her Home Dimension when it was destroyed!  But the game ignores alllllllll this shit constantly to keep going with its own patented level of retardation.

Ludger sacrificing himself for Elle is BRAVE AND NOBLE!  But Elle sacrificing herself for Ludger is apparently not nearly as honorable.  To say nothing of Elle just dying anyway because of the 1 Million hit.  Except, oh wait, once the Trials doors open no more Fractured Dimensions can form, which means Ludger's sacrifice doesn't even work, Origin saves her.  All because winning the Trial doesn't stop transformations, but losing it does?  What contrived dopey reasoning.

And of course, Bisley suddenly decides to drop his manipulator self and suddenly confront Ludger.  He directly antagonizes Ludger and forces him into a fight for NO REASON!  All Bisley had to do was say, "once I have Origin enslaved I'll save Elle" and BAM he'd win.  Even if he's lying that's still better than picking a pointless fight.

Then we have the miasma and soul energy excuses for why the Trial must end.  The latter of which doesn't exist outside one cutscene and is blatantly made worse by FD destruction as is.  The miasma meanwhile, relies on all the souls of Fractured people not being displaced by the Prime variant.  Alt Milla and Prime Milla are two different beings, human and spirit, and can't coexist, so neither should fractured souls and Prime souls but the game just ignores that.  And even if the did, the Fractured Miasma would be pushed aside by the Prime miasma.

These...are not as big plot holes as you want them to be.  I think you just didn't like the plot and are seriously coming off as "NO! THIS IS STUPID!"  The watch thing is about the only one, but I think the logic there is tied to the Key of Kresnik nonsense, and honestly as I said, the entire thing yo just mentioned is LITERALLY TIED TO ELLE.  Victor's entire plot nonsense is only relevant because Elle exists.  Without Elle, that entire subplot explodes and it'd never get brought up, never needs to be addressed, and the game does not suffer for it.  So congrats on only proving my point further.  Though "this should have happened to Elle" is not a plot hole like you claim it is; they already established exceptions can exist, several times.  How those exceptions come to be isn't established, which is a different problem altogether (not a plot hole, just the game not explaining itself).

Your second point...again, literally what I said: Every issue the game has is related to Elle's nonsense.  You literally just said it's contrived and stupid because...it revolves around the Elle plot point...which again, IS MY EXACT POINT.

Bisley's situation is...again, about Elle!  And no, it wouldn't work.  The game makes it very clear that Bakur's solution is not something Ludger or the rest of the cast wants.  Did you completely forget the "I want to enslave spirits!" nonsense?  That's kind of enough of a reason for Ludger and the entire team to want to stop him from getting his wish.  The "he could use Elle as a bargaining chip", again, works itself away if Elle wasn't in the story to begin with, which is the point I cannot emphasize enough.  The game's plot problems all stem from Elle, and pretty much every problem you bring up is "Elle exists, therefor this is a problem."

Regarding Miasma...I believe the game does establish that Canaan follows it's own rules, not the Prime Dimensions, because it's at the heart of all dimensions, thereby the prime dimension rules need not be followed.  This isn't contrived, it's a typical "Dimension between Dimensions" that exists in many mutli-verse story-lines.  Also, did you forget P. Milla is literally not in the Prime Dimension for most of the game?  This is how F. Milla can survive.  It's that two of the same thing cannot exist in the Prime Dimension at the same time, not that the Fractured versions disappear if the Prime one is still around.  As luck would have it, F. Milla happens to be sacrificed for P. Milla anyway.  I don't see how "one is human and the other is spirit!" is relevant here; they are the same being in truth, just not the same physical manifestation. 
Not to mention I don't think the Fractured Miasma has anything to do with Origin's scenario, because it's not actually Fractured Miasma, it's just created by the existence of Fractured Dimensions which if they still exist, the Miasma exists. 

Again, this cannot be emphasized enough: Just because you don't like something and think it's contrived doesn't make it a fact, and it's not necessarily a plot-hole.  You didn't actually address a legitimate plothole save for the Watch (which browsing things, that seems to be the only major one people note.)  It's more like you're conveniently ignoring details the game did address just so you can label something a plothole and claim plot is worse than it actually is.  It's ok not to like something but to try and twist things to be different than they are?  Nope, not going to buy it.  This entire post is you going "I FIND THIS CONTRIVED AND STUPID!" and you completely ignored my initial point of "Every single problem with this plot is tied to Elle's nonsense" which...guess what?  YOU JUST PROVED FURTHER!  Since just about everyone of your complaints is a factor of the game that only exists because they were trying to make Elle important.  It definitely feels like the story was written first, then they jack-hammered in this character and pushed her to be the Female Lead, and didn't actually do it properly.  A lot of the game's issues in story do suddenly work themselves out if Elle doesn't exist.

Victor's subplot? Gone (as is the entirety of Chapter 12.)  The pocketwatch inconsistency? Gone.  The nonsense in the ending with Ludger's decision? Gone.  The Bakur not using it as an ace up his sleeve? Gone.

I'm not saying the story is good, but I think you're just flailing and throwing shit at more than it needs to be and you pretty much proved the exact point I made anyway: A lot of the game's problems in writing are hinged heavily on Elle's existence.  She is a very superficially important character, important only because the game randomly demands she plays a role that is very much not necessary in anyway, shape or form.  Write her out, a lot of the problems work themselves out in simpler fashion; she's an added element that complicated everything, added unneeded subplots and details to the story, and messes everything up.  The whole Normal vs. True Ending scenario literally only exists because of the Elle factor for example.

They are plot holes.  Every single plot mechanic introduced has a plot hole or absurd inconsistency with it.  The Watch situation I can have a twelve point bulletin on how bad it is.  Then, because this is a multiverse situation, that explodes into millions.  There's the fact that only the Key of Kresnik can bring stuff back to the Prime, but you bring back Fractured Gald and items through all the time.  Okay, maybe the Key carries them.  Those millions of gald.  And hey!  You can pay off debt in the FDs.  Alright, so maybe it's not canon.  Except you blatantly grab the Time Capsule items which are specifically still in the Prime and Elle sure as hell didn't carry them back.  Because, of course, Chapter 12!  Then when Elle's no longer with you, you still bring crap back.  You bring back the goddamn Temporal Blade!  And only Elle is supposed to be able to bring people to FDs in the first place so there's another three(?) more blatantly ignoring mechanics.  Then of course, Ludger's sacrifice can't actually work because no more FDs can form.  And Origin destroys the FDs before Ludger turns anyway.

Yes, some of this is incredibly petty poking, but when everything is opened up for such scrutiny because the shield of quality has been destroyed by huge gaping ones like the Watch or Chapter 12 I'm damn well gonna be petty.  And when everything is a plot hole, it's one huge amalgamation of nonsensical writing.  So of course I  didn't like the plot.  I outright fucking despise it with every fiber of my being! 

Saying plot holes wouldn't exist if they weren't plot holes doesn't do a damn thing.  A bad game would be good if all the bad shit was taken away...  So what?

Bisley doesn't give a shit what the other's want, they can't stop him.  Ludger's the only competition for the Wish and he outright goads him to a fight.  Which is my point, after an entire game of lying to get his way, he suddenly drops it to pick a fight he had no need to start.  Add in "I'll save that girl of yours too" and Ludger has even less of a reason to fight because the two spirits he knows: one replaced his bread and the other harasses him all the time.

How the hell is Elle surviving her Home Dimension being destroyed around her not a plot hole I addressed?  She is in her home when it's erased, she should be too.

If Canaan was exempt from the nominal laws then the Watch would have popped right back up instantly.  Canaan only exists outright in the Prime Dimension.  It is not some nexus which everything is build around.

No, it's that Alt Milla and Prime Milla are two fundamentally different beings at that point.  Human and spirit.  They should be able to co-exist perfectly fine in the Prime together.  But they can not.  So the stretch of how the rules apply then extends towards Prime/Fractured Souls and Prime/Fractured Miasma.

Miasma is literally pulled out of souls as part of the reincarnation process.  It's Fractured.  The whole danger of the FDs is that there are suddenly trillions of souls now being pushed into Canaan which is beyond Origin's ability to seal.

Maybe I wouldn't fling shit if those didn't exist.  But they do, so I'm flingng all the shit at what's there.  All the shit the game's made up of and doesn't think stinks.

Quote from: Funhousemouse
blah blah blah blah blah

blah blah blah blah blah

Ladies, ladies. I hate both of you. You can stop talking now.

But I love you so much.  Why do you do this to me baby.  Come on give me more.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3806 on: November 11, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Where is my Anise vs Elle comparison rant!?~

*I don't actually hate Elle
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3807 on: November 11, 2015, 01:15:56 PM »
Where is my Anise vs Elle comparison rant!?~

*I don't actually hate Elle

I don't hate Elle either.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #3808 on: November 11, 2015, 04:34:26 PM »
It is.  AC actively polished and smoothed out the combat loop significantly over the first 3 games.  The jump from 1-2 is massive, 2-Bro is pretty big as well.  Revelations is about where I would peg Moredoores at (Batman finishers are not as good in a stealth/climbing primary game compared to Asylum's railroad action game).  Revelations-3 is probably where the series plateaus in changes, but AC3 is pretty streamlined.

That'd do it then. I only played 1 and 2.

Not saying to go out and do it or anything, but if you have Brotherhood from a bundle or something and want to play something like it, I recommend it.

It is an interesting play from the analytical side of watching something grow and taking the original game's progression and compressing it.  Brotherhood is essentially the entirety of AC2 + a bit more that takes half the time to get through.  It is really dense play compared to the original game (which isn't bad for how much it strings out the progression, it is there for story reasons as well as pacing).

I really really like Brotherhood on reflection.  I have a play through of 2 I jump in and out of that is nearly done and keen to revisit Ass Bro (but that won't happen until the glut of summer releases is done most likely).
Edit - Holy shit we are bad at forums

Problem is EVERY forum I'm on handles code differently, so I forget which is which.

That said: Yeah, no plans to. Mordors has more than scratched my itch for that kind of game for now. I enjoy them, but I don't think I can play many of them.

And it doesn't help I hate the AC frame narrative.

Edit: Irony
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 07:50:31 PM by AndrewRogue »

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3809 on: November 11, 2015, 07:45:46 PM »
Well Elle definitely was a spoiled 8 year old brat who lacked a mother figure (before F Milla), and had a crazy serial/mass murderer dad in Victor who spoiled her like hell, but then there is what he would have done in the end, but yeah spoiled 8 year old brats aren't everyone's cup of tea (I personally enjoyed the bond she formed with F Milla, some of her more touching scenes with Ludger, the bond she formed with him, her awe of Gaius, her one girl/one cat act with Rollo, etc as well as some of her quotes)~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3810 on: November 11, 2015, 08:22:48 PM »
I just ate popcorn and didn't think too deeply about x2's plot.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #3811 on: November 11, 2015, 11:01:38 PM »
A good policy for any game that can be labelled with the moniker X2.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3812 on: November 12, 2015, 12:13:51 AM »
Elf hating on X2-The Threat for no reason.  Typical elves.

Tide

• Malice Tears
  • Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Cacophony of Sorrow
    • View Profile
« Reply #3813 on: November 12, 2015, 06:14:36 AM »
Learning Shadow Hearts 3. I believe this sums up the experience:
<napalmman> In Suikoden I, In Chinchirorin, what is it called when you roll three of the same number?
<@Claude> yahtzee

<Dreamboum> Everyone is learning new speedgames!
<Dreamboum> A bright future awaits us gentlemens
<Pitted> I'm learning league of legends
<Dreamboum> go fuck yourself

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3814 on: November 13, 2015, 01:42:42 AM »
Paint It Back - completed the completable parts, did a bunch of quick mystery puzzles

It's Picross.

In comparison to the Picross e series, it has a lot of boards which are much larger than the largest Picross e boards (ignoring Micross), and it has a random puzzle mode. Of course huge puzzles aren't necessarily a good thing, although at least here you don't have a time limit unlike in Mario's Super Picross. Also, the random puzzle mode sadly seems to draw from the puzzles you did in the completable parts rather that a separate set.

Progress tracking is annoyingly inferior to the version in Picross e, it'll only mark segments as entered if all segments in a line have been entered or if there are no blank spaces between the segment and the edge of the board. So, say you had a line with 1 4 4 1 segments, and you managed to complete both the '4' segments but not either of the '1' segments, the game would still be displaying both 4s as inentered - while Picross e would have them both as entered, and would even be able to infer which was entered if you only had one entered and there wasn't any room for the other on one side. This can get to be particularly annoying with the larger boards.

The game has differing difficulty levels for the large boards which it achieves by splitting the board into smaller pieces on the easier difficulties, similar to Micross. I suppose it's fairly laudable that they were able to make so many puzzles which are properly solvable both when they're split up and when they aren't, assuming that it hasn't been proven that jamming a bunch of properly solvable boards together will always result in a properly solvable board or something. Annoyingly, if you do all the boards on the maximum available difficulty, you won't complete enough boards on 'Normal' to get the achievement for that and you'll have to replay some of the harder ones on that difficulty. MICROSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

Message Quest - played through

I was expecting it to be short, but I wasn't expecting it to be that short. I'll peg it as a fair bit better than Lume in the shortgamelympics, but still fairly mediocre. Also half the price, at least.

Duke Nukem 3D: Atomic - played through

I'm finding it difficult to come up with anything to comment on?

Episode 2 was clearly the worst, difficult to judge where episode 1 stands given that it gets bias due to my having played it back in the day, episodes 3 and 4 kind of blend together.

Chrono Trigger DS - played through ~1.5 times

Played through once, continued and got the bonus ending, did an encore semiplaythrough and got the rest of the endings.

I had always gotten the impression that the alternate endings were supposed to be... good? worth getting? something. But most of them are terrible. Whatever!

In general the game was a lot shorter/easier/more entertaining than I felt I remembered.

Now I can play Chrono Cross. But not right now.

Somehow, I forgot Life is Strange.

Life Is Strange - finished

In general, I really enjoyed the series. I do think that the final episode was somewhat of a let-down, although it had some great parts as well.

Feels like the game sometimes went out of its way to be a jerk with regards to your choices, which was a little annoying. I'm not exactly a gardener, but I'm fairly sure that watering a plant two days in a row isn't enough to drown it.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 02:13:38 AM by Twilkitri »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3815 on: November 13, 2015, 06:29:46 AM »
Bayonetta - I thought that maybe the final Jeanne fight would be easy now that I know the game far better but nope. Now in the final dungeon.

Bravely Default - So I decided to replay this. And what's the best way to replay an FF5-like? With a Four Five(?) Job Fiesta!

BD divides its jobs into five very distinct groups instead of four, namely:
-The five jobs gained in Caldisla/the prologue (including Freelancer)
-The four jobs gained in Ancheim/Chapter 1
-The four jobs gained in Florem/Chapter 2
-The five jobs gained in Eisenberg/Chapter 3
-The six jobs gained from the Council of Six/Chapter 4 onwards

So yeah, rolling up one random job to use from each, Fiesta-style. I haven't decided what I'll do with the fact that there are five instead of four; either just roll with it and use whichever five I like, or roll a die to remove one of the five jobs once I have all five, probably. I dunno.

Beyond that, playing on HM, because why the hell not (if this proves too much I'll go back to Normal), and no Norende because yeah no serious challenge really works with Norende stuff I think. I thought about just banning the equipment and still using specials/etc. but meh effort.

First job is Monk. Centro Keep was definitely a problem area, since three Monks don't reliably blitz down the formations here, so some default-turtling is needed, and enemies hit pretty hard. I ran out of potions. I had one reset on Omnias Crowe because I thought you could leave the dungeon by going past him, whoops this was a faulty memory and I ran into a fight with him when I had no potions. Refighting him again with a decent potion stock, he wasn't too bad. Poison's annoying but Silence is a wasted turn against my team and his damage isn't super-scary or anything.

Next was Lontano Villa, which was by contrast a very easy dungeon. Yes, the enemies are better than the previous, but not by enough given that one more PC means 33% more brave-blitzing potential... actually even more, because even with an E rank Ise-no-Kami deals as much damage as a Level 10 Monk's bare fists (and I wasn't Level 10 for this dungeon), plus a crit rate, plus the ability to equip a shield. Very easy dungeon, almost nothing survived one turn.

Heinkel (2 resets) - By comparison, here is the big problem fight of the first chapter for Monks (and presumably Freelancers as well). Did you know that he'll protect his allies from physicals, 100% of the time? I didn't. So yeah, for all of Heinkel's 3000+ HP there is no way for me to kill his support, two archers. And the archers use Poison Strike, modest damage and ~75% poison, and there's no way to block it this early. Heinkel, meanwhile, likes to buff his defence with either Shield Strike or Ironclad (the latter is basically just a troll move since it only lasts the turn it is used, but it has initiative...), which reduces my damage to rather paltry levels. I go into this fight with 40 potions and it's nowhere near enough.

So I return with 80 potions (selling all ethers), and in the process also hit JL 3 in Monk, which gives me Inner Alchemy (heal self of poison/some other stuff). I also come back with shields equipped on everyone. I sometimes unequip them when non-Edea monks attack (Edea has Ise-no-Kami still), but re-equip them after of course. Main strategy is to default a lot, heal using brave-blitzes and Potions, heal off Poison with Inner Alchemy (Edea doesn't have it, so I sometimes use antidotes on her, but I run out. Arguably I should have bought more, they're cheaper than potions and end up healing as much in practice). Not dying is important because I only have 4 Phoenix Downs, but it's enough in case I screw up. Once at 3 BP I'll use Invigorate if Heinkel's defence isn't the lowest it can be (i.e. 100% in the first half of the fight, 75% in the second after he starts using Stomp), and hope it doesn't backfire, then attack x4 the next turn. All of Edea's turns are funnelled towards attacking since even though I'm Level 10 now she's still the best at it due to crit + not needing to unequip her shield, while the others heal as needed and only relatively rarely when I have the spare turns use this attacking strategy of their own.

One nice bonus is that Heinkel never uses Brave, I assume his allies need to be dead for it. Stomp still hurts but it's nothing staying healed can't take care of. I use 64 Potions (gah), 2 Hi-Potions, a few Antidotes, and one Phoenix Down. His allies die in like a quarter of a round once he falls. >:(

Now that I've arrived in Ancheim, I just rolled for my second job and got Spell Fencer, which certainly has some nice synergy with my previous physical class (good thing this isn't FF5 and there's no sword requirement... though I forget if it works when unarmed? Guess I'll see).

Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3816 on: November 13, 2015, 06:55:03 AM »
Not that Grefter + Challenge = anyhting but lol, but I would say just use whichever of the 5 you want.  It seems the most fun.  (But I would allow Norende stuff so whatevs)

Vermintide - Finally played a few more games.  A regular fourth makes this good.  The upcoming free DLC that was announced for December 3rd sounds amazing and like they will fix the biggest complaint about the game with how RNG loot is.

Pretty keen.

StarHammer40k Legacy of the Eye of Terror - I replayed Wings of Liberty and Heart of the Swarm.  Wings is just pretty solid, there is a few things that are tightened up a few years later, but it is overall pretty solid.  I am a bit more favourable to HotS than say Otter was.  The plot was pretty dumb and over the top, but that's what I expect from Blizzard.  They do pulp fantasy stories.  Kerrigan's plot is predictable and not deep, but it is affecting.  Relatable (?!??!?) story with good animation and VA kind of cheats and lets you write whatever.  Gameplay wise, it is hella easy compared to Wings and is clearly tuned for scrubs like me.  Attack Move all day every day.

Then I started the Prologue for Legacy and holy fuck i am bad at games.  Just so shit at all the things that Protoss do.  I was expecting them to shave off some of the crazy micro gameplay that Multi Protoss has.  Not really in the prologue.  Here is the whole tech tree from day 1, here is restrictive map goals.  Hope you have been playing Protoss because if you are lost we aren't going to help you lol.

Then just like a mission in to the regular campaign is much more sedate.  Huh, I guess the Prologue was for people that had been waiting a while to play while they waited for the main campaign, not for bads to be shit in.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3817 on: November 13, 2015, 08:04:49 AM »
It's weird and baffling how difficult the prologue is compared to the proper campaign.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3818 on: November 13, 2015, 08:09:26 AM »
Yeah they drop the need to macro Chrono Boost, Warp Gates store multiple charges... like a few other QOL improvements I was expecting the kind of thing to be there in the prologue that just aren't.  I like the campaigns because they are babbies first Starcraft.

Edit - I also kind of dig how Karaxx is just like, straight up Protoss Swann.  Your engineer dude will always just be a fake dwarf forever.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2015, 08:12:24 AM by Grefter »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3819 on: November 13, 2015, 08:25:37 AM »
It'll just keep getting weirder too.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3820 on: November 13, 2015, 06:14:26 PM »
Elfboy's post rmeinds me I need to get back to my Bravely Default playthrough.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3821 on: November 15, 2015, 06:39:56 AM »
Bravely Default - Monk fiesta continues.

World map randoms in Ancheim aren't too bad, although Sandworms can roll well and blind my entire party at once, which obviously messes up brave-blitzing them. Not much to be done about it, fortunately if I'm on the world map I'm always close to an inn if something goes wrong. Anyway, I have a choice of doing the Wind Shrine or Jackal's dungeon, I decide to do the former because it gives me access to the superior shop at Yulyana's.

The Wind Shrine is brutal. Might be the hardest part of the challenge so far. Golems can do 200-250 MT damage which is kinda nasty even if I'm defaulting and brutal if I'm not, certainly not something I can stand and heal against. They can just survive a brave-blitz by themselves, so even fighting one is kinda dicy depending on what they do. However, when they fight with one of the other randoms, it's nigh-impossible. I eventually learn to just try my hand at running. Anyway, this dungeon is pretty short but still takes several tries. I also fail to make any money at all at this point in the game, I spend more on the potions I need to patch me up after each fight than I get from fights... by a fairly notable margin. Yeesh.

Anyway, this means I'm not really able to afford much at Yulyana's besides topping up my item supply. Oh well. Jackal's definitely an easier boss than Dragon, from what I recall, so he's up next!

His dungeon is a lot easier than the Wind Shrine. I'm actually able to brave-blitz some formations immediately, and those I can't can usually be handled without too much trouble anyway. I get blinded a bunch, both by Sandworms and the traps here, but Inner Alchemy to the rescue! After running low on potions, but also getting an important 1500 pg treasure, I retreat to Yulyana's and by Mithril Knuckles for my team, which have the same attack power as a Level 21 Monk (I'm 13-14 now). This is a big upgrade! I'm now able to brave-blitz almost every fight in Jackal's dungeon.

Jackal - Not too bad. Would have been better if I'd clued into using Strong Strike earlier in the fight. Strong Strike is 50% chance of 2x damage, 50% chance of miss, which sounds like a null deal, and I'd been avoiding it because in randoms the unreliability can cost me a brave-blitz which is very bad. But Jackal has pretty notable evasion (30, compared to 5 on the previous bosses) so regular physicals suffer, while Strong Strike does not, and honestly long-term damage is all that matters in a marathon BD boss fight anyway. By this point, my monks all have 3 hits except Ringabel, who broke 20 agility and has 4, and successful Strong Strikes do about 150 damage (Ringabel 200). I try to launch my main assaults after either Jackal or Khint has brave-blitzed. Jackal's healing is annoying but once I hit on Strong Strike I'm able to overwhelm it, and once Khint leaves the offence is low enough that things get pretty easy. Also Jackal starts using Brave x3 at this point, which is great news - I can just default until he does, then do whatever the fuck I want. Usual BD strats apply, trying to take 3-4 turns at once instead of 1 so that I'm defaulting more often, never going below 0 BP at the start of a round if possible, but yeah, nothing too bad. I only use about 40 potions! Would have been less if I'd used Strong Strike from the start.

Now mostly done the Vestment Cave, which was a step up for randoms but nothing tooo bad. It's still taken me a couple tries like every other dungeon. I'm a bit worried about the Dragon; I haven't been buying Hi-Potions because they're a big pocketbook hit compared to Potions, but sooner or later I'll need their turn efficiency in boss fights, and I'm a bit worried Dragon may force me to do it. We'll see. Everyone has hit JL5, and with it an extra hit, so I now have 4-5 hits which is nice, and I'm working on affording the equipment upgrades from Yulyana's still.

Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3822 on: November 15, 2015, 08:45:48 PM »
Kero Blaster: I heard there's a new overtime mode so I double dipped on iOs.
IOs controls are... Allright. The most optimized button game on iOs, still way worse than a regular controller but better than Downwell. It helps that you don't really have to change the direction of your shooting much.

Kero Blaster is still super cool, the most laid back / charming Contra like in the world. Overtime mode is pretty difficult so far, at least compared to the relatively easy regular game.

Clicker Heroes: Numbers are really high

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3823 on: November 17, 2015, 05:14:41 PM »
Bravely Default: Tales of punching

Dragon at 17, 1 reset
Profiteur at 18
Orthros at 19, JL6, 3 resets, 20 hipotions and a lot of potions
Khamer and Khint at 20, 2 resets, ~50 potions

Dragon (1 reset) - Difficult but not as bad as I was expecting (or as bad as the first attempt hinted). Dragon will brave woth Mow Down + Bully, which is predictable in that it's always a MT attack followed by a hit against the person with the lowest HP. Now, this does a fuckton of damage, and unfortunately the Dragon is "psychic" with the Bully attack. If someone isn't defaulting when he does this there's a very good chance they're dead unless their HP is extremely high. Oh and both these attacks can critical, that sucks.

But fortunately a lot of default-spam helps, since his strategy means I'll have openings to attack/heal after he braves. And on his non-brave turns, Bully is pretty wussy (Mow Down is still legit). I have 5 Hi-Potions for this fight and they make a huge difference. I spam Strong Strike in this fight, just like Jackal, because Dragon has surprisingly competent evade too (20), I think almost every boss from here on out does? Basic physicals for the lose. I'm Level 17.

Profiteur - The nice thing about being Monk is that I have enough HP to easily survive a double Takeover. In fact, at full HP I can even survive a Khint hit on top of that! This never happens, but hey. Different from the last fight in that Profiteur always defaults before he braves, and obviously I don't want to sink a lot of damage into that. And since defaulting doesn't slow Takeover anyway, there's zero reason not to attack on the turns you know he'll do it twice, since when he's at 1 BP he never defaults again. So save attacks for that.

Khint still isn't too scary against my party that gives no shits about silence (plus he leaves halfway through), and Profiteur's offence is less scary than Dragon's Mow Down for my potion supply even on turns when I default. I still use a few Hi-Potions here in tougher situations, but overall this is the easiest fight of the chapter. I'm Level 18.

Orthros (3 resets) - Oh crap. This fight, on the other hand, is terrifying. Orthros can unleash MT attacks doing about a quarter of my HP twice a turn. Defaulting cuts down on that, but that's a lot of consistent damage since it never stops (and occasionally criticals!). Sometimes he uses ST attacks too, but not often enough. This isn't terribly different from fighting two frailer Dragons at once.

The good news is that I have a new ability, Hidden Dragon, which does 1.25x damage but always goes last, so my offence is good enough that one head will die in six 4x brave-blitzes. i.e. I'm not far from being able to one-round a head! But it's far enough. This is the first fight where Potions are absolutely NOT an option, 4 of those will barely patch up a full round of attacks to a single non-defaulting PC. I buy 20 Hi-Potions (and also grind just a tiny bit so everyone has Hidden Dragon), which is the biggest financial investment I make for any boss fight. I use every last one of them.

Beyond that the strategy is simple enough. Hidden Dragon x4 when I get to 3 BP, heal x (current BP+1) whenever I feel I have to with anyone else, prioritising lower-Strength characters for healing of course (the gaps are small, but noticeable). People dying is bad so I try to mostly avoid it, of course. Eventually, I take a run at one of the heads (knowing their HP due to FAQing of course), since Hidden Dragon is actually reliable I can do this pretty safely.

It's a bit dicy since of course I go into negative brave to do this, and I know what comes next: once one head is left it will brave twice for a nasty triple-act... but fortunately only one is ST, and it gives me plenty of time to recover. I spend a while just getting back on my feet, using my last remaining hi-potions at this point, but once I do it's pretty smooth sailing. The remaining head will periodically triple-attack again, so the same strategy as Dragon works here, and I'm able to mostly cruise on Potions from here on. I'm Level 19.

Grand Mill Works - No rest for my poor monks, this is another challenge, the toughest dungeon since the first trip to the Wind Shrine for sure. Merchantry Thugs can blind, but more significantly can brave at any time and use Psych Up + Strong Strike, which has a 50% chance to OHKO a non-defaulting PC and does a strong 2HKO to the defaulting. Ow. Merchantry Mages meanwhile sometimes use physicals (puny) or Sleep (annoying but not too bad), but can also use Fira for a strong 2HKO to the non-defaulting. So there's a lot of damage potential here, and in particular Strong Strike sometimes just haxes me and there's nothing I can do about it. Another dungeon that takes a few runs as I also need to get my potion stock up for the next boss fight, which proves harder than I expect...

Khamer and Khint (2 resets) - I wasn't expecting this fight to be that bad, because I wasn't expecting them to have boatloads of physical defence. (Just in case there was any doubt that Black Mage is good through to the end of chapter 1.) I decide to go for Khamer first, who actually is the slightly less tanky of the two, because he's more dangerous, but even he takes less than half what Orthros did, and has more HP (though less than the Dragon... still more pdur). Fortunately I do have Invigorate, which while always dicy due to its 25% chance of failure (which does 20% self-damage for good measure) is extremely valuable for overcoming high defence as one successful use will double my damage and two will triple it, in this fight.

After a couple failed attempts and some time to theorycraft I realise, somewhat counterintuitively, that the best strategy here actually involves going into negative BP, an unusual strategy when it isn't born out of desperation or when going for a kill. Get to 3 BP, Invigorate twice, then Hidden Dragon x4 on the next turn. This leaves me at negative BP for one turn where I can't default, but it's worth it, because 150% PAtk Hidden Dragon x4 does ~1200 damage for 6 actions, a far better deal than I can get otherwise, and the extra turn spent non-defaulting isn't THAT big a deal since the offence of these two isn't -that- bad.

Not to say what they do is trivial. Khint is still mostly bad but the extra damage he piles on can hurt, especially when I'm not defaulting and not using a shield. Khamer will sometimes use Attack or Veilga (both essentially wasted turns) but also sometimes uses a Quara which hits for 120/240 against my entire team, and Stop, which is annoying as fuck since I can't block or heal it, so I just have to hope it wears off quickly. If it hits someone who has just Invigorated (either on the current turn or the previous, and Hidden Dragon going last means it gets the chance to do this) that sucks since I lose those turns in effect as well. Fortunately this obviously isn't too common.

One other ripple is that below half HP, Khamer can default, then always uses Quara+Stop. The only adjustment to my strategy is that I will never use Invigorate on turns where he has BP, since the chance of Stop is higher. If I've already invigorated the previous turn, though, there's no point in wasting that and I go for the attacks anyway.

Once he falls, Khint is pretty easy. Same offensive tactics work but he's just no good at killing me when alone, so I can use only Potions from here. I end up only needing about 4 Hi-Potions with this strategy. And like 50 potions of course, what else is new. I'm Level 20.

And I finally have Spell Fencer! And I immediately hate the Job Level mechanic since my Spell Fencers are going to suck until at least JL2 (when they get Sleep/Silence Sword), especially the non-Ringabel ones since they haven't hit 20 speed yet in this job, so only 2 hits! Gross. (My monks all have 5.) Oh well, Knuckle Lore means I don't lose tooo much raw damage per swing, and everyone will have the L1 elemental spellblades. I also confirm that magic sword works when unarmed, as I've now just hit Level 21 so unarmed is just as good as Mithril Knuckles (which I now sell). I buy the L1-2 spells, restock my potions, turn Ringabel and Edea into Spell Fencers, and get ready for a dungeon I already know will be nasty. On to chapter 2!

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3824 on: November 19, 2015, 12:16:01 AM »
Got back from visiting a friend who owns a PS4 recently, played some newfangled stuff there.  So, belatedly...  turns out Fenrir was right, folks.  Sorry.

Towerfall: Ascension: Holy crap this game is fun.  And it could have been made in, like, 1997.  Why wasn't it?!  I'd have played the crap out of this in college.

Anyway, while I'm sure 4p local deathmatches are hilarious, we only had 2 controllers, and that was fine.  The mode we played the most was 2-player co-op, which is crazy enjoyable and arguably better than versus anyway.  Well.  "Co-op."  Friendly fire is a thing, so sending arrows randomly arcing around the map is a great way to make, uh, exciting moments for your partner.  Additionally there's just way more craziness in 2p vs. 1-player: more enemies, more chaos, more arrows lying around.  You'll never be fooled by a doppleganger in 1-player, just watch yourself, but you will wonder why your teammate went crazy and murdered you in 2p.  The swingy nature of the game means that a single survivor will sometimes murder the whole horde until the next round, getting a free respawn for your partner, and other times you'll have 2 people survive until the last enemy who then double-kills both of you.  Mastered the regular levels?  Oh just crank it up to Hardcore, don't worry, you'll all die there.  Seriously, if I was Sony, I'd consider packaging the PS4 system with Towerfall.

Also Fenrir when you are going to stat topic the characters.

Titan Souls: Another entry in the "retro pixel graphics characters with limited arrow supply", this time ripping off Shadow of the Colossus.  So all bosses who are innocently minding their own business until you try to murder them and steal their soul.  1 hit, 1 kill for both sides...  or at least 1 form-transition.

This game seems a little too difficult for my tastes.  The first 4 titans aren't so bad, but I could tell that beating the later bosses would require some extreme precision.  "Pre-emptively roll out of their attack, immediately start pulling back, loose your arrow at where the boss WILL be so you can hit their exposed weak spot" or the like.

Plants vs. Zombies: Garden Warfare: Seemed amusingly enough.  PvZ franchise is a weird fit for an FPS, though?!  Why can these plants run around strafing and jumping Halo style?!  Whatever, Sunflower has a laser.  Anyway...  it's basically TF2 Mann vs. Machine, except rather than upgrade your weapons, you plant allies who obey the normal tower defense rules to help you out.  Peashooter is Scout that can turn into a Heavy, Sunflower is Medic, Chomper is the melee character, Cactus is Sniper.

Jackbox / Drawful: This is the pack o' small games you get with You Don't Know Jack.  Of these, Drawful is definitely the best, especially when dealing with non-gamers or having distracted players (e.g. small children who need tending).  Get crazy prompt, draw picture of it, others insert their own fake interpretations of what you just drew, then have to vote on what they thought was the real prompt.  Needless to say hilarity results.  Don't even need a bunch of controllers and plays a ton of players: you just connect to their website on your phone / tablet and draw there. 

--
Grefter: Yeah the SC2 LotV prologue is inexplicably brutal.  Not even finished it yet!

Meeple / Fudo: Almost all multidimensional chaos plotlines make no sense.  I usually just award bonus points if a story can manage a shred of internal consistency here (Radiant Historia?) and otherwise hope that it's at least something cool (if nonsensical).

Elf, re BD: You should totally give yourself all 5 classes, maybe with a soft requirement to always have the currently unused class's ability set on someone.  BD HM is brutal enough that a bit more flexibility should be more "sanity-preserving" than "defeating the challenge."  Also, since you already missed White Mage...  I sure hope you get one of Red Mage / Salve-Maker / Vampire, or else I imagine the lategame is going to get really painful.  (At least Monk / Spellblade will be able to blitz randoms, even if they are going to be drug abusers in boss fights.)