Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183161 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 12:08:39 AM »
Wiki crawl says game does react to Benny surviving.  Also forget if it was flagged as cut content or not, but was something about it changing if you slept with him with Black Widow perk and letting him survive.  Pretty sure it was cut content though.

90 Repair, level 14 perk.  Jury Rigging is a game changer.  Using it lets you avoid that disease El Cid has of looting all the things, let's you repair armour unlike relying on weapon repair kits and generates cash by letting you repair good weapons up to vendor instead of hauling around a bunch of cheap shit.  Durability scale price up crazy good.  My first game I got by without ranking Barter at all on huge strength of this.  This play levelling Barter also helps pay for Gun runners Arsenal loot super easy.  Burning caps like nobodies business and having a good time.  As far as I am concerned every single build should get it unless you are pacifist I guess.  Even then I would still consider ranking Repair because it pairs with Science as one of the more frequently used skills in the game.  Repair stronk.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 12:17:00 AM »
I even got it on my Pacifist.  I have no idea WHY but I had it!

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 03:06:06 AM »
The Last Story: Chapter 28 or so (after sneaking around the castle and firing sleep arrows).

The game is fun but could use a hard mode. The combat is sufficiently tactical in setup but it is sometimes too easy to just power through it without real trouble. For example the game has a good set of enemies with healers and mages and guards, but you don't have to employ tactics to get through it, being able to just smash them just about any way you want. Nor is there any reward for being more tactical about it. The game could have done with only one spare 'life'... as it is you have to be KOd five times to lose a fight (and mind you this is refreshed between every fight). That is just too much for the enemy to overcome, usually.

I like the setting to be honest, mostly because I enjoy how many back alleys and shortcuts and such are in the Lazulis city. Walking through it makes it seem alive with all the conversations going on and crowds going about their business, which is a nice enough trick. The dungeons are short and to the point for the most part, lacking in labyrinth and relying more on interesting setups for enemies in areas with good varieties of cover/open spaces (though not exclusively so).

The character chemistry works very well. The merc band starts the game out feeling like an established family with good chemistry and interactions (Syrenne drunken antics, Mirania cuckooness, Dagran's raw charisma), and they get some character development that I liked. I like it when they all just sit around talking over options and voicing differing opinions on what their course of action should be. It kind of reminds me of the Greil mercs from FE9. Zael is perhaps a bit too much of an archetypical hero protagonist, but the game's more morally gray setting gives it a more interesting twist. I wasn't a fan of Callista either, as she seemed to cookie-cutter princess for my tastes early on. But she is actually a fairly reasonable take on an archetype I would normally hate, thanks again to the grayer nature of the game's morality/setting and her keen awareness of this.

A fun enough game thus far. I have a sinking feeling however that Dagran is the one who murdered Ashtar and framed The Prick for it. If that is true I still find myself rooting for him, as he is so damn charismatic and has been fairly reasonable throughout. I wonder why he would do it though?

Bravely Default Demo:
Free demo for Bravely Default. Jobs only go up to L4 but it is a good example of what the system should hold in store? It plays out like a quick fix for FF5 junkies. I like the Brave/Default mechanic, especially as it applies to the enemies since the enemy having the ability to bust out something really nasty is a good flipside to your team pulling out all the stops to bust up an enemy approaching death. The "Combine class abilities for cool effect" is still in play, which is nice! The game even gives you a particularly nice hint on a powerful little one. Buffs seem to have a strong effect as well, as the game looks like a subtractive Atk/Def system with multipliers. The weapon and armor system seems nice enough... most jobs can equip any equipment but the stat boosts they get from those equips differs depending on 'proficiency' (rank E to rank S). The demo features 3 mini-dungeons and 4 bosses. It has 0 plot and characterization though. Hoping the actual game delivers on that point.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 03:13:04 AM by Pyro »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2014, 04:12:57 AM »
I even got it on my Pacifist.  I have no idea WHY but I had it!

Because using a bunch of semi-worthless varmint rifles to max out the condition on an anti-material rifle is how you get DAT FAT WALLET SON!

But yes, doing what you want is what the game is about.  You can kill literally everyone you see and still make it through the game.  I think JE Sawyer's exact description was "when designing the main quest we needed an option where the main character was basically a giant fire-breathing monster."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:15:52 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2014, 10:55:11 AM »
My giant fire-breathing monster run will be next, just you wait and see.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2014, 03:29:47 PM »
WC3FT: OK, I give up. Back to normal mode. Second chapter of the Human campaign was just too much bullshit. SC2 is a better game anyway so I'll play that one on Brutal and just speed through WC3 on normal. Managed to beat the last Night Elf mission on hard, at least. I guess I was supposed to use casters to give me the upper hand on Illidan's side, but instead I just massed seige turtles, distracted the whole army, and just focused down buildings.

Blizzard writing makes me want to punch a puppy. What's that, another character is driven to madness due to obsession over their goal? It was neat when they did it with Arthas, but goddamn. In RoC, Grom, Tyrande, and Illidan all fall for the same shit, and in Frozen Throne Maiev has and it's pretty obvious that Kael'thas will as well. C'mon guys there are other tropes out there jesus christ. 

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 07, 2014, 06:02:42 PM »
WC3FT: OK, I give up. Back to normal mode. Second chapter of the Human campaign was just too much bullshit. SC2 is a better game anyway so I'll play that one on Brutal and just speed through WC3 on normal. Managed to beat the last Night Elf mission on hard, at least. I guess I was supposed to use casters to give me the upper hand on Illidan's side, but instead I just massed seige turtles, distracted the whole army, and just focused down buildings.

Blizzard writing makes me want to punch a puppy. What's that, another character is driven to madness due to obsession over their goal? It was neat when they did it with Arthas, but goddamn. In RoC, Grom, Tyrande, and Illidan all fall for the same shit, and in Frozen Throne Maiev has and it's pretty obvious that Kael'thas will as well. C'mon guys there are other tropes out there jesus christ.

Based on WoW?

No. No there are not.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: January 07, 2014, 08:38:48 PM »
It is originally based on Warhammer.  True to source material.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: January 07, 2014, 08:59:15 PM »
MK7  - Finally got my two stars on Special Cup. Attempt to get three stars on 150 cc has been less than fruitful, though...

Civ V(G&K) - Saw this being played, couldn't resist picking it up again. Played Siam on Prince and Elizabeth on King. Not a huge fan of the warlike AI on King, since I don't really build military all that much. Currently getting killed on two sides as Askia on King.

EDIT: The game needs some kind of option of "If you want to take my cities with a peace treaty, preemptively go fuck yourself and don't send me the message."
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:02:27 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 07, 2014, 09:22:11 PM »
PW5 - caw caw caw caw caw caw
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: January 07, 2014, 09:58:28 PM »
Final Fantasy Dimensions: I have seen a man named Eduardo.  He is a bard overlooking a lake, wishing to see a lady.  I am laughing inside and out.

This game rules, by the way.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 07, 2014, 11:21:42 PM »

I was unclear. I was saying that, based on World of Warcraft, Blizzard does not believe there are other tropes.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 08, 2014, 02:03:06 AM »

I was unclear. I was saying that, based on World of Warcraft, Blizzard does not believe there are other tropes.

And he's saying that WarCraft was originally based on Warhammer (which is true) and thus, Blizzard is just being consistent with that original source material.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:05 AM »
Technically same applies for SC obviously.  Diablo is just about generic store brand demonic possession though.

Insert plot hype for Lost Vikings here.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 08, 2014, 02:21:57 AM »
Heroes of the Storm will blow without Lost Vikings.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 08, 2014, 03:46:08 AM »
90 Repair, level 14 perk.  Jury Rigging is a game changer.  Using it lets you avoid that disease El Cid has of looting all the things,

Hahaha not exactly. Actually it just broadens the array of random crap I feel it necessary to pick up! Does save plenty of money though, and makes even more. Being an arms dealer is the way to make the big bucks in New Vegas. I probably provide the Gun Runners more of their stock than they make themselves.

Anyway, Lonesome Road. Ulysses was all, "Grr, obliquely directed vengeance," so I had to be like, "No we should be bros and shoot zombies." So we did, and it was good.

God why did I not bring power armor for the Courier's Mile (principally missed it for the rad resistance). That place, so terrible. How many irradiated deathclaws were in there, like a dozen? And about as many Marked Men? Living in perfect harmony, no less! Interspecies cooperation an inspiration to us all in these troubled times.

NCR ending -> House ending all that's left on the agenda. Well, along with Arcade's quest and Oh My Papa (never properly finished either of them before). No Legion ending because hatred of a thousand suns. Anyway it's been a while but I think on this file I already re-pissed them off by murdering Vulpes Inculta outside the Tops to make Boone happy. I do kinda have an interest in playing a complete monster run someday, just to see the other side of the game, but I know myself too well to expect I'd actually be able to maintain that behavior for the duration.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 08, 2014, 04:17:37 AM »
Civ5 - Immortal. Good lord does the AI cheat like mad on this difficulty. Fun enough but I doubt I'll be playing this one again, the disadvantage you're at just feels too ludicrous and while you certainly can win it feels reliant on luck with how the enemy civs do and if they're smart about not splitting the UN vote / building space stuff quickly. I'm sure there is perfect algorithmic play to make odds of victory high but I can't really be bothered.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 08, 2014, 04:47:54 AM »
Diplomatic Vic is definitely the easiest way to win on Immortal IMHO, you rush the "top" edge of the tech tree and stockpile cash -> collect victory.  Coups make this more annoying in G&K but you can circumvent this via doing your giant bribe on turn N-1 of the vote.  And you collect modern Infantry on that route anyway to not die if a militaristic civ wants to screw with you.  (Okay, barring some kind of Atilla / Monetzuma turbo rushdown, of course.)

I don't know if there's an "algorithmic" way to win Immortal exactly!  That's a cool thing about Civ5, it clearly depends a lot on map type / resource density / civ diplomacy.  The thing that you most need a good eye for is city placement at the higher level, and even then it's entirely possible to say "I could get an utterly ridiculous city right here but it will surely start an eventual war with the Romans that will be difficult to win and a big resource drain, is it worth the risk?"  You are right about luck being important, but if you get screwed over you usually know it sooner rather than later, at least, and I like the different experience each time.

That said, I agree in general, Immortal is a bit TOO stressful.  Emperor is more fun and has less games which get abandoned after 40 turns.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 08, 2014, 08:18:43 AM »
90 Repair, level 14 perk.  Jury Rigging is a game changer.  Using it lets you avoid that disease El Cid has of looting all the things,

Hahaha not exactly. Actually it just broadens the array of random crap I feel it necessary to pick up! Does save plenty of money though, and makes even more. Being an arms dealer is the way to make the big bucks in New Vegas. I probably provide the Gun Runners more of their stock than they make themselves.

Anyway, Lonesome Road. Ulysses was all, "Grr, obliquely directed vengeance," so I had to be like, "No we should be bros and shoot zombies." So we did, and it was good.

God why did I not bring power armor for the Courier's Mile (principally missed it for the rad resistance). That place, so terrible. How many irradiated deathclaws were in there, like a dozen? And about as many Marked Men? Living in perfect harmony, no less! Interspecies cooperation an inspiration to us all in these troubled times.

NCR ending -> House ending all that's left on the agenda. Well, along with Arcade's quest and Oh My Papa (never properly finished either of them before). No Legion ending because hatred of a thousand suns. Anyway it's been a while but I think on this file I already re-pissed them off by murdering Vulpes Inculta outside the Tops to make Boone happy. I do kinda have an interest in playing a complete monster run someday, just to see the other side of the game, but I know myself too well to expect I'd actually be able to maintain that behavior for the duration.

Caesar's actually a lot of fun to talk to FWIW. Also the Legion mission Arizona Killer is probably the best quest in the whole game, I think?

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #69 on: January 08, 2014, 09:22:18 AM »
Disgaea 4- Fin.  So in chapter 10 there's this map with archers.  Who sit on enemy boost panels, can borderline OHKO without the boost, and I had to grind a bit to kill them in two hits.  So basically rush guys over there, toss them into a formation, hope like hell they all die before enemies from above start chipping me down (it's an enemy panel map, albeit just one panel, so over time there are just going to be lower level goons that can finish me off before I pelt down the upper level debuffer mages).  That one map really smacked of Disgaea 1 in a way that really pissed me off, which is s shame because all through chapter 8 and 9 the game really had my attention.  Fortunately the immediately following map was tricky in less stupid way (enemies who OHKO.. because they have a bunch of magichange weapons, so taking out the most dangerous set first and reducing the total monsters on the field in turn 1 means maybe one death machine to put down.  Much more reasonable) and the final boss's gimmick is about crowd control, but the AI isn't super aggressive so you have a couple turns to bring the stats down to reasonable.  Probably the most interesting disgaea final boss really, faint praise though that is.

Game tends to recycle it's gags a bit, but not really offensively.  It has a basic structure for most of them and comes up with new things to mad lib in, which the game is just short enough to use effectively.  Probably the strongest ensemble among the four games, juggling six main characters and making them all actually relevant, compared to the trio in the original and duos (Adell/Rozy, Mao/Almaz) in the other two.

Still weaker than Disgaea 2 overall, but lacks some of the issues 3 had.  Probably hangs around the level of the first, so 8/10 it is.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 08, 2014, 09:50:53 AM »

And he's saying that WarCraft was originally based on Warhammer (which is true) and thus, Blizzard is just being consistent with that original source material.

I dunno. Warhammer managed a few plots about people just being wankers too, I think. Not everyone was obsessed with obsession.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 08, 2014, 01:01:52 PM »
In Warcraft some characters are wankers that are obsessed with obsession.

FO:NV - Level 30 woooo.  Scraped together 50 sneak so I can take holdout weapons into casinos and go do those sidequests solo because I already lost a bunch of loot to a bug where you companions inventory of weapons don't respawn.  Goodbye Maria, goodbye AMR Boone had that I was going to stockpile ammo for,  goodbye random other stuff.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 08, 2014, 01:17:35 PM »

The hilarious thing is they would actually fight each other if KILL THE COURIER wasn't their highest priority.

In Warcraft some characters are wankers that are obsessed with obsession.

FO:NV - Level 30 woooo.  Scraped together 50 sneak so I can take holdout weapons into casinos and go do those sidequests solo because I already lost a bunch of loot to a bug where you companions inventory of weapons don't respawn.  Goodbye Maria, goodbye AMR Boone had that I was going to stockpile ammo for,  goodbye random other stuff.

Fuck, I've had that bug too.  There's a safe inside the wall in Grommorah you can't access without noclip that should have everything.

Fallout New Vegas: Clearing up missions to hit 50 before Dead Money.  Bye Bye Love is still awful and I only did it because I"M A NICE GUY~.  Doing Beyond the Beef gave me one weirdass glitch though as I was chasing Mortimer out I drew my knife then suddenly Heck Gunderson and his bodyguard suddenly started to murder all the White Gloves.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 08, 2014, 03:12:36 PM »
WC3FT: Not since picking up the game have I been nostalgiaing about Footmen Frenzy so much. Dark Ranger just brings back a lot of memories of massive summoned undead armies and hero sniping with Life Drain. Have to resist picking up League of Legends to get my fix.  On top of that, Banshee possession is cool but completely useless mechanic, unless they force you to use it by arbitrarily gimping your own forces... which they do in all of the Dark Ranger chapters. It's actually a fun gimmick! Unlike boats. Why did anyone think transport boats were a good idea. 

Speaking of fun gimmicks, I'm surprised that over half of the Blood Elf/Human campagn consisted of gimmick maps. Considering one was "Do nothing but micro Heroes and reminisce about Footmen Frenzy", I'm not complaining.

Shaping up to beat the Undead campaign and probably the Orc campaign this weekend and finally stop obsessing over 10-year-old RTSes that are not SC2, and move on to... obsessing about SC2. That is if I'm not compelled to restart FO:NV and actually try to beat it this time.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 08, 2014, 04:46:59 PM »
Civ5 - Immortal. Good lord does the AI cheat like mad on this difficulty. Fun enough but I doubt I'll be playing this one again, the disadvantage you're at just feels too ludicrous and while you certainly can win it feels reliant on luck with how the enemy civs do and if they're smart about not splitting the UN vote / building space stuff quickly. I'm sure there is perfect algorithmic play to make odds of victory high but I can't really be bothered.

It really, really depends on the map type as Snowfire said. Tiny islands and playing with happiness off can certainly alter the balance.  That said! I don't like playing immortal/deity without tinkering with the setup for those reasons, it really does make you play a certain playstyle.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...