Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194773 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2900 on: September 02, 2015, 08:25:44 PM »
Not all that much, the first fight is only trash mobs and you can Sleep Seifer. The EX++ fight should be a doozy, though: Seifer, Raijin and Fujin all at once and Fujin has both MT and Sai. Oh, and you can only afford to lose two medals. Hope you're following people with the Sheepskin Coat RW.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2901 on: September 02, 2015, 09:04:00 PM »
But I have her chakram!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2902 on: September 02, 2015, 10:38:25 PM »
Because i like being unreasonable I did another 11 pull on Rinoa's banner. Got a second Zantetsuken and two Sheepskin coats. I'll take it!

Not going to put it as my RW because I don't want you to gameplayskip this cool fight! Not worth it!

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2903 on: September 02, 2015, 10:52:29 PM »
What is this Sheepskin coat thing?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2904 on: September 02, 2015, 11:01:37 PM »
It is Irvine's cowboy coat so everybody fucking loves it.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2905 on: September 02, 2015, 11:29:07 PM »
The coat's sb is MT 50% sleep, which works on the entire disciplinary committee. Hence the high demand for it for the upcoming ++ battle.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2906 on: September 03, 2015, 01:14:44 AM »
3rd even 11 relic pull:

Still no 5 stars. Worse, I don't think I'm even going to use any of these 4 star items. I guess I have.... building materials and/or synergy alternates? ....kinda?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2907 on: September 03, 2015, 07:55:07 AM »
Not going to put it as my RW because I don't want you to gameplayskip this cool fight! Not worth it!

What the fuck, nevermind they are 100% unmasterable without Sheepskin RW (Or Angel Quake perhaps)
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 07:59:04 AM by Fenrir »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2908 on: September 03, 2015, 07:59:32 AM »
Devil Survivor 2: Day 6.  Still enjoying myself.

After the extremely dumb attempted fanservice of Day 4, Day 5's Kama / Shiva plotline was considerably funnier and better done.  A pleasant surprise there.  The whole Sapporo plotline was strange and slightly botched...  hey guys you have to do this ludicrously evil action that will destroy a city!!1!  But wait nobody will actually die because of the completely unbelievable reason that they're all already dead (and you are somehow able to guess this?!)!  I was hoping this would be just bullshit made up to make us feel better about killing them, but nah, seems it was actually true.  I'd have just set it up so that we tried to destroy an empty patch of ground if I was the scriptwriter, but I guess that'd be less dramatic or something.

Also there's things like rail tunnels in-between cities, and it's possible to calculate flight times between Tokyo & Sapporo, but wasn't the void devouring everything not protected by a barrier?  Is the void starting on cities but leaving the countryside untouched or something?!  Since travel-through-void is presumably harder to track or time....  Yeah never mind that's clearly thinking too hard about this.

Day 5 boss was erratic - if you don't realize how the Neurotoxin works he will utterly slaughter your teams effortlessly from extreme range off great speed, but once it's negated he totally has a glass jaw and dies really fast.  Okay.

The game tries to make something of a PLOT TWIST revelation out of the fact that JPs, the secret governmental organization in charge of defense against the supernatural, has a giant magic circle in the basement of the equivalent of City Hall.  Okay that location is mildly surprising (in that it's stupid, pick a basement in the middle of nowhere), but the fact one exists is about as shocking as finding out the military has a tank in its armory.  It's not like the circle is being powered by human sacrifice or something.  Sheesh.

The Law/Chaos ideologies are more compelling and believable than in your average SMT game, which is a very low bar to clear.  On that note.  Why is it the 15-year old tsundere who gets to treat the Chaos ideology with the respect and seriousness it deserves.  Which is along the lines of "This is crazy.  And stupid.  Stop being stupid."

Yamato, Anguished One, and to a lesser extent Ronaldo cannot shut up about how awesome I am, and it's often hard to tell them they're being creepy.  Grah.  SMT really embraces the "you are a fanfic self-insert character."

In the realm of linking to better games, an interesting comment from
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTVBSxnwiCo
, a retrospective on Deus Ex from Warren Spector, was that JC Denton comes off as really callous partially because the developers could never be sure if the player would actually do any random sidequest / request / etc.  So you'll have somebody giving a sob story about their daughter being kidnapped and Denton will go all "I'll think about it" as far as helping.  Anyway since I've named Our Hero JC Denton in Devil Survivor 2, I wish he was able to brusquely dismiss a lot more of this nonsense while keeping his options open, but that is usually either impossible or means less friendship fate points, so.  Being blandly nice to everyone it is.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2909 on: September 03, 2015, 08:57:40 AM »
FFRK - Terra and Edgar's crystals get. . . . barely. I didn't bother reading Magic Master's description well enough so went in with 3 mages with all elemental attacks. Whoops. Got reaaaaally lucky with hitting his weakness a few times and then chipping him down with Mog and Cloud. Only Mog and Terra were alive by the end, really pulled that one out of my ass. Not gonna try for Kefka's yet until I can craft Shellga. I may try to go back for the mastery on Magic Master after I get that, though I think the rewards for that probably aren't worth the timebux that could be spent mining mythril for another 2-3 11 pulls before the event ends.

Is anyone out there documenting the JP version stuff in English for when those events come out in Global? I doubt it, but it'd be nice to have. Kinda wish I could just play the Global version so I'd be on the same page as everyone else, but on the other hand breakdancing Kefka.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2910 on: September 03, 2015, 09:55:21 AM »
There is an extensive community on Reddit documenting the JPN version for Global in English. It is notable that the events don't necessarily come out in the same order though.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2911 on: September 03, 2015, 01:44:04 PM »

What the fuck, nevermind they are 100% unmasterable without Sheepskin RW (Or Angel Quake perhaps)

Yep! I tried, lost three medals. At least, the fight is pretty fun anyway! It was entertaining scrambling to keep at least both Seifer and Fujin asleep and MT really does undermine their durability. Faith'd Vivi was dealing nearly 9k to the committee. =D Angel Wing Quake doesn't really work because only Shellga and Protectga are -not- enough mitigation and they resist breaks. One non-fully mitigated MT from both Seifer and Fujin = instant one-medal on damage taken.

EDIT: And thanks to Fenny's Sheepskin Coat Irvine, I mastered the fight. Yummy Major NE Orbs and Growth Eggs for all. I also finished all of this update's Elite dungeons in the meantime. Ronka Ruins 2 was a lot less problematic than I thought it'd be. Now, all I'll ever do is farm Greater Orbs until the new Soul Breakfast event kicks in tonight.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 02:08:49 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2912 on: September 03, 2015, 06:31:39 PM »
Aaaand I managed to get mastery with your Lunatic High RW. Awwww.
 It's probably the second best RW for this event (tied with Boon)
Even with the best RW (Sheepskin), you actually need good mage gear and/or hones, and if you use it, welcome to S/L city, population: You.

Anyway this whole thing took so many tries and party tinkering. I think I spent more than 100 timebux on it.

My final team was:

Rinoa lvl 50, Quake R3 Biora R5
Yuna lvl 65, Valefor R1 Slowga R2
Irvine lvl 53, Sleep buster R3, Power Breakdown R2
Selphie lvl 55, Shellga R2 Diaga R3
Squall lvl 65, Mental Break R5 Armor Break R5

My first priority was mitigation, then putting Fujin to sleep, then putting Seifer to sleep, while largely applying Slow too and focusing damage on Raijin. Reapplying mitigation before it runs out was important because you do not want to spend one second not Protect'd/Shell'd.

The fight becomes much easier with just Fujin and Seifer left, because you can keep both either slowed or asleep easily. Hastega helps, immensely.
I also finished the fight with Fast Ammo because it's super badass.

Strangely enough, Raijin is maybe the least dangerous guy here but it was best to take him out first? That's because keeping all three asleep is difficult, so he became my lowest priority as far as applying sleep goes; and thus he was never asleep and became the biggest source of damage, hence he needed to die first. Does it make any sense. Also Squall could stab his ass without waking him up.

Valefor R1 on Yuna barely helped, and even R2 would have been mehish, I definitely should have gone with Faith instead.
This should go without saying but Quake fucking rules this battle, and Faith'd Quakes would have been uber.

The boss rush was moderately difficult too because you don't get ether refills!
The good news is that the first fight is against randoms, the bad news is that they like to do 2k damage and you want to save your Quakes for the next fight. Squall with R5 breaks saved the day here by not giving a fuck about resources.
I went with Boon RW and used it against the lizard things + Edea, not Seifer. I highly recommend this because fuck these lizards.

One obvious thing I completely didn't realize about learning SBs is that I can equip Danjuro on Irvine in FF12 dungeons and he'll still be able to use Fast Ammo with it (How? Irvine is amazing) and do big synergy'd damage.
Perfect for AdvIrvine prostrats!! Now I just need to find a gun / dagger for every realm and I'm all set!!

Also I just fought a FF4 dragon, here's how it went down:
- Lightning hits him with Thundera strike
- The dragon absorbs lightning, and gets healed for 2500 HP
- Then the dragon promptly dies
It took me some time to figure out what the hell happened

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2913 on: September 03, 2015, 06:44:17 PM »
Final Fantasy Autobattle Everybody Wants - Farming Greater Black Orbs against Elite Airship Ultros because I'm miserable. For some reason, he can also drop 2* Whips from FF4. But I never talked about the boss rush, so yeah:

The boss rush replicates more or less the last stages of the old Rinoa event, which was sorta grossly overtuned and caused various nightmares for the players back in the day. Since there were a lot less abilities around (old-style dailies in which even 3* orbs were rare, a lot less abilities in general available - I'm not sure if breaks were even released back then - and lack of Roaming Warriors) -and- the event was released earlier than expected, colliding with Celes' event and getting in the way of Flan farming for XP, for instance, the event became a bit of a sour note for the community at the time.

The reissue sorta feels like it was tailored exactly for cathartic revenge measures, and it particularly shows in the Parade Float boss rush itself: in spite of okay HP (165k for Seifer and 187k for Edea), they really can't stand up very well against those players who stuck around post-Rinoa event and kept climbing the game's power creep ladder as it went on. Hell, the first stage of the boss rush is a wave of -trash mobs-, for starters. Seifer, besides having awful Res, is vulnerable to both Slow and Sleep -and- weak to Poison-element, which can utterly cripple his fight. Edea in particular has pretty miserable non-HP durability stats, ESPECIALLY her two-digit defense, and so many moves with no AI priority attached that she will act in wildly erratic manners (why yes use Dispel on my party -before- my Shellga resolves. Why yes -finally- counter dispel Shellga when I'm two mage actions away from finishing you off. And then cast Dispel YET AGAIN). The biggest threat in the rush is pretty much the Iguions, which are frail and weak to Earth, but can petrify people at low odds with their Magma Breath, so you -do- want them to fall quickly. Everything else borders on perfunctory. I didn't even have to enter and flee stages for ability-healing abuse in a boss rush that does -not- give you guaranteed Ether Drops. I think this is all that needs said.

EDIT: This said, if you like people writhing in despair on the internet, drop by the myriad reddit threads where players are banging their heads against the wall over the Interdisciplinary Committee battle. Some people are having Rinoa event 1 flashbacks all over again.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:57:16 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2914 on: September 03, 2015, 06:51:31 PM »

People help the people. =D

Quote from: Fenny
Even with the best RW (Sheepskin), you actually need good mage gear and/or hones, and if you use it, welcome to S/L city, population: You.

To a degree, yes. My mastery setup involved Selphie with Diaga and Sleep so I could scramble sleep procs if someone I didn't want was awake. Trying to get all of them to sleep on the -first- try is an exercise in frustration, but sleeping two at first and then landing it on the remaining one isn't nearly as bad. This was the first boss fight where I -really- appreciated summons outside trash sweeping, Faith'd R2 Ifrit and Valefor alone shaved off about 40% of the overall fight's HP. Just R3 Quake wouldn't have cut it, but I agree that, if you have less than four 3* (preferrably higher) summon charges for a single PC, don't even bother with them this fight. High-end MT is how you perform here, no ifs and buts. Also, Faith ruled the fight so damn much, totally worth bringing Rinoa with Biora/Faith for this. And just the four charges I have were all I needed.

Also I just fought a FF4 dragon, here's how it went down:
- Lightning hits him with Thundera strike
- The dragon absorbs lightning, and gets healed for 2500 HP
- Then the dragon promptly dies
It took me some time to figure out what the hell happened

I'm Zantetsukenning, they hatin'
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 06:55:17 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2915 on: September 03, 2015, 07:10:13 PM »
Devil Survivor - Finished the Amane / King of Saints ending. The final boss was an enormous asshole, last form was super obnoxious, but after resetting, setting up the physical character again with Pierce and Deathbound (thank god the game auto-levels PCs), and coming back with the Dances rather than the -dyne series because there is only one enemy in most of the fights, I kicked his ass instead of getting thrashed. The MC was the MVP of the final battle overall, but Atsuro did most of the damage to the final form.

Pretty interesting game, I like that it gives you information about weaknesses and stuff, but it's a little too random for an SRPG for my personal taste. A lot of the strategy that you form can be pretty wrecked by things which I can't seem to figure out how to predict, like who goes first in a matchup and obviously moves such as Dual Shadow, as well as criticals giving enemies extra turns. Will I try DS2? Maybe, especially since Snowfire seems to be enjoying it, but I think I'm done with SMT for a little while for now, although the added 8th day is temping.

MC's headphones are so derpy looking and all the other characters are bad and dumb. Except Midori, who is dumb and amazing.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2916 on: September 03, 2015, 08:08:36 PM »

People help the people. =D

To a degree, yes. My mastery setup involved Selphie with Diaga and Sleep so I could scramble sleep procs if someone I didn't want was awake. Trying to get all of them to sleep on the -first- try is an exercise in frustration, but sleeping two at first and then landing it on the remaining one isn't nearly as bad. This was the first boss fight where I -really- appreciated summons outside trash sweeping, Faith'd R2 Ifrit and Valefor alone shaved off about 40% of the overall fight's HP. Just R3 Quake wouldn't have cut it, but I agree that, if you have less than four 3* (preferrably higher) summon charges for a single PC, don't even bother with them this fight. High-end MT is how you perform here, no ifs and buts. Also, Faith ruled the fight so damn much, totally worth bringing Rinoa with Biora/Faith for this. And just the four charges I have were all I needed.

Summons did that much? I honed Shiva to R2 for that fight, it did 3000 damage, I couldn't roll my eyes any more. Granted I didn't give her that Flail ++ for higher magic.

I managed to beat the fight with MT only doing about 50% of the overall damage, but I was always keeping the bad guys under slow/sleep and the good guys under haste so....

Is Sleep decent compared to Sleep Busting? I saw that it was a 1star spell and moved on.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2917 on: September 03, 2015, 08:30:07 PM »
Sleep doesn't break enemies out of sleep like Sleep Buster does and the status has the same 30% rate as the Buster, so it's better for when you want to keep a status lock. I honed it to R5, no regrets, since it's so unintrusive to hone and has situational uses over its physical counterpart.

EDIT: Regarding summon damage, do keep in mind that I -did- bring Faith to the committee fight. Summon magic definitely benefits a lot from a buffing setup, since you get more bang for your buck. I put my Flail++ on Vivi, Garnet rocked an Empyrean Rod, but she also had Devotion. Also, 3* summons have a slightly lower mult than Quake (5.5 vs. 5.6), while 4* hover significantly higher (ranging from 8.8x to 9.6x), so, depending on your setup and hones, you can rock lower-grade mage equips with them. Valefor at least is worth honing, since it's a lot cheaper on 4* Orbs and Major Wind Orbs are used for roughly zero relevant future metagame skills unless you feel like whaling for Quick Hit.

EDIT2: Welp, just checked and seems like I -do- have enough Major Orbs to craft Meteor. I also have enough to craft Flare, but like hell I'm going to bother with that.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 08:57:12 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2918 on: September 04, 2015, 03:26:56 AM »
Final Fantasy A Long-Forgotten Autobattle - So, I'm almost done with the first phase of the Soul Break Bonanza event. I'd just like to interrupt this to show the results of my last 11-pull.

So yeah. I complained for so long over lacking actual armor variety in 5* flavor and the game deigns me an Edincoat, an Adamant Bangle and a Viking Coat - i.e. one of the highest-stat bangles in the game, an attack bangle and a Light Armor. Also ANOTHER Emerald Shield, but whatever I guess it's decent for FFX synergy. I don't even need a hat anymore. I don't think I'm even bothering pulling again until the Golbez event, this covers my bases so damned well. God yeah.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2919 on: September 04, 2015, 03:50:40 AM »
FFRK: Haven't done Seifer's EX battles yet. Thanks for the strategies. I will definitely be cheesing with Fenrir's Irvine if he'll show up on my rotation.

Did a few pulls on the new banner. Got a Five-Star! Yay! ...it's a sword. Again. It's the Zantetsuken in fact, so yay, I have another 6* weapon? At least I don't have the conundrum of "should I hold off on combining it?" because holy fuck I can think of zero instances where I'm going to need ANOTHER 5* sword...

Dear RNJesus, please give me a 5* mage weapon... >.>;; Or Snow's luck.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2920 on: September 04, 2015, 03:57:39 AM »
FFRK: Hate you so much Snow. Did an 11 pull, got more 3 star crap and some 4 star stuff I don't want(ANOTHER dagger and ANOTHER axe. <_> ) I have enough for one more, but gonna wait for another banner.

Also, for Snow and Fenny, what are your freind codes? I missed them earlier in the topic. Mine is eRuA if an Edgar bioblaster is useful to you at all.

Anyway, managed to barely clear the Heroic+ event in the Forbidden Treasure bit. I don't grind much, so I only have like r3 Thundaga and such  to slug with. More pressing was my lack of MT healing aside from a friend summon Triabia's Light.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2921 on: September 04, 2015, 03:58:22 AM »
That's fucking bullshit.  That is a pirate's coat, not anything close to Viking related.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2922 on: September 04, 2015, 04:06:03 AM »
The only MT healing in the game is Soul Breaks and Kirin...

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2923 on: September 04, 2015, 04:19:39 AM »
Final Fantasy A Long-Forgotten Autobattle - So, I'm almost done with the first phase of the Soul Break Bonanza event. I'd just like to interrupt this to show the results of my last 11-pull.

*snip*

So yeah. I complained for so long over lacking actual armor variety in 5* flavor and the game deigns me an Edincoat, an Adamant Bangle and a Viking Coat - i.e. one of the highest-stat bangles in the game, an attack bangle and a Light Armor. Also ANOTHER Emerald Shield, but whatever I guess it's decent for FFX synergy. I don't even need a hat anymore. I don't think I'm even bothering pulling again until the Golbez event, this covers my bases so damned well. God yeah.

Geez, Jo'ou.  Stop making me want to throw high gobs of money at this game.  You're making me want to go back to Target for a $100 Gift Card for this.

FFRK - I was unable to Master the stage, but I got Cloud's Memory Crystal.  Steps in the right direction!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2924 on: September 04, 2015, 04:23:06 AM »
Also, for Snow and Fenny, what are your freind codes? I missed them earlier in the topic. Mine is eRuA if an Edgar bioblaster is useful to you at all.

Mine is Q1ne. I've been following you for a while! Bioblaster is a cool SB, one of my favorites for farming.