Author Topic: What Games are you playing 2015?  (Read 194274 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What Games are you playing 2015?
« Reply #2850 on: August 31, 2015, 02:19:18 PM »
Final Fantasy Autobattles And Ballyhoo - Spent a Mythril last night to blaze through wussy version of Rinoa's event. Just got her Memory Crystal and cap-broke her heels in order to have a third functional Black Mage in my ranks - and heck, her stats are pretty danged good for a mage type anyway. I'm also taking a sorely underlevelled Irvine (he's like L23) through the event just to see how far a RS 5* gun can take him. Right now, he's outdamaging Zantetsuken Squall. =D I'll probably take either Balthier or Sazh to the boss rush instead, though.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: August 31, 2015, 03:11:01 PM »
Yeah Rinoa is pretty ace.
I changed my RW to ridiculously RS'd Irvine. Use him against the first mobs of the event for potentially absurd damage.
I am half tempted to egg Irvine to 65 just for this.
Edit: how can I find RWs with Advance? I really need to try that with Advance + Boost

Btw Snow, it's ok to do the 100 gem pull
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:15:23 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: August 31, 2015, 03:31:08 PM »
100-gem pulls are something I've been doing since Selphie+Quistis. This was the first time it -really- paid off. Also, I used a L65 Irvine with Valiant against Elite Edea 1. 15k damage, no breaks applied. That was fun.

EDIT:

Edit: how can I find RWs with Advance? I really need to try that with Advance + Boost

Boost and Advance overwrite each other. THIS SAID, you can rummage Reddit for the Friend Code spreadsheet they left available. Be warned, though: getting a supply of Advance RWs is quite difficult due to the sheer mass of people following those for Reta-meta. If you don't get a followback, expect those Luneths to fall off your list very, -very- quickly.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 03:59:36 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2853 on: August 31, 2015, 04:11:25 PM »
Yeah the limited 100 gem pull is a sensible middleground between not paying for anything and being a fucking F2P whale. Very Kingdom of Loathing-ish. Dena is smart (and evil)

I'll roam to find some Reddit friend codes then. I didn't find that last time I checked, but must have not looked hard enough.
The bastards. How dare they waste all these Luneths to progress through the game, when I absolutely need him for Science

You sure about Advance not stacking with Boost? i heard the opposite

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2854 on: August 31, 2015, 04:18:15 PM »
From what I've heard, Boost and Advance trigger the same flag, which means they wouldn't stack. However, it's also worth noting it's very likely Advance + RS alone will ram past the current Attack soft cap.

EDIT: ALSO.

Anyway I did a 50 mithril pull.

I got another totally sweet 5* lightning sword, so I can either use two of them at once, or combine them to form a 6 * weapon (!) I really really don't know what to do. Life is hard guys.

I also got some 5* helm or whatever. I think it's supposed to be Dark Cecil's helm. Yeah.

I got Rinoa's special 5* weapon, which is fucking awesome but only really usable by her and Loser.
I hope we get Rinoa back real soon because she's really going to be the best. (And I don't want to use Loser much) I'm sure this won't happen until like september, unfortunately. I probably won't be playing the game anymore then.

How little did we know back then.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 05:24:59 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2855 on: August 31, 2015, 05:32:03 PM »
FFRK:
Bucking with my traditional "Not bothering with events until the last minute in favor of progressing through story dungeons" because Story Dungeons also happen to be FFVIII, so gathering two characters, one of which could potentially become a better/my main black mage seems like the smarter thing to do right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: August 31, 2015, 06:09:06 PM »
You want to grab both Rinoa and her Memory Crystal even if you're nowhere near reaching level caps. Breaking the cap is very important for long-term viability and your only alternative to Rinoa right now with an always-available MC is RYDIA, who doesn't even have 4* Black Magic as of now.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: August 31, 2015, 06:16:43 PM »
I intended to get at least Rinoa, I'm probably beefy enough to push toward the crystal, too. Mostly what I do is fight a dungeon or two if my stamina goes up, fight an event dungeon to use excess stamina, repeat slowly over a few days.

Whereas this time, since I'm on FFVIII anyhow, I see no reason to not get as far in the event I can as early as possible.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2858 on: August 31, 2015, 06:22:36 PM »
I'd recommend beelining straight to the MC Elite after clearing the Classic Dungeon, then, unless you feel you really need the levels/rewards that come before. I have no real sense of how strong you need to be to -clear- that dungeon, since I started reaching the L50 cap on my A-team, along with getting actual 5* relics for a full party, by the time they released the Memory Crystal mechanic and that much power is -definitely- a bit overkill for the first half of event elites. Operation Mi'hen was also one of the harder events to boot.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: August 31, 2015, 06:25:01 PM »
Yes I am indeed hooked for life. Help.
I didn't expect the lategame to be this cool.

Also, while the game has power creep to keep players going, it also definitely has a coolness creep, as evidenced by Kefka's SB, Edgar's new drill weapon (just look at this shit: http://i.imgur.com/NLHbER2.png), and the absurdly cool Secret of Mana crossover event. The game just keeps getting cooler.

I used the reddit spreadsheet and friended 5 Luneths. AdvIrvine strat GO.

VSM: Yeah see Snow. Crystals are pretty fucking important. If you can get Rinoa's you're pretty much set for life as far as black mages go.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2860 on: August 31, 2015, 06:40:08 PM »
Yes I am indeed hooked for life. Help.
I didn't expect the lategame to be this cool.

Also, while the game has power creep to keep players going, it also definitely has a coolness creep, as evidenced by Kefka's SB, Edgar's new drill weapon (just look at this shit: http://i.imgur.com/NLHbER2.png), and the absurdly cool Secret of Mana crossover event. The game just keeps getting cooler.

It's the weirdest thing. When we started, reaching L50 and all was thought to be lategame, but then, just when we get there, they started introducing cap-break and Record Materia mechanics. Then, it dawned that L50 actually marks the start of the -midgame-. The game really gets its gears going once your options start opening up in terms of levels, abilities and resources. And a bunch of the fights are -really- cool. At this point, even classic dungeons require a modicum of planning and forethought, which makes for rather fun mobile-based RPG gameplay. Pretty far departure from the autobattle festival the game was back in the early days.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: August 31, 2015, 11:36:04 PM »
Final Fantasy Where Have All The Autobattles Gone - We interrupt this Rinoa reissue event to inform you I just honed Waterja to R4, bitches.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2862 on: September 01, 2015, 12:06:50 AM »
Abyss Odyssey: Well this is a weird one.

This is sort of a roguelike but you get to keep your level between runs? I got to the final boss on the first run, but died. Then died again on a second run, but way sooner.

Art direction is: Oh my god best of any game ever. Art deco aesthetic with curves and flowers everywhere (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/10/1394065021-demon-violinist-katrien-soldier.png), lovely 2.5D graphics, very imaginative enemy design. 

Gameplay is : Roguelike with Smash Brothers Style fighting game mechanics. I happen to not like those very much and find the game super messy as a result. Characters aren't very responsive and you never quite feel totally in control. Would have rather liked they'd stick to Castlevania fighting.
You can make enemies join you, it's a pretty complicated process and you end up with a moveset you know nothing about and die super fast.

I don't quite get a roguelike in which I feel I'm doing poorly and still almost reach the end of my first playthrough, then get several rewards for the next playthrough upon dying.
It's, uh, at least going to be an interesting 4-5 hours to finish the game.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: September 01, 2015, 01:17:16 AM »
Goddamn it. Goddamn it goddamn it goddamn it.

Back on the wagon until the japanese ff6 event ends. Unfortunately since I haven't been playing for months I probably am not high enough level to get any memory crystals, but I should be able to get Kefka at least.

A drill would be cool too.

Magic Fanatic

• Denizen
  • As if it wasn't already.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2864 on: September 01, 2015, 01:35:17 AM »
FFRK - Uh.  Spend $1 on FFRK, expecting 3* or 4* stuff.  Get 5* Rising Sun.  Cue joy...  But now I have two FF8-flavored 5* Thrown Weapons.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2865 on: September 01, 2015, 01:48:22 AM »
FFRK - Uh.  Spend $1 on FFRK, expecting 3* or 4* stuff.  Get 5* Rising Sun.  Cue joy...  But now I have two FF8-flavored 5* Thrown Weapons.

Cool you now have +1 magic and nothing else of value

Goddamn it. Goddamn it goddamn it goddamn it.

Back on the wagon until the japanese ff6 event ends. Unfortunately since I haven't been playing for months I probably am not high enough level to get any memory crystals, but I should be able to get Kefka at least.

A drill would be cool too.

srry

RK: AdvIrvine did 35k to Elite Edea 1 with no further buffs/debuffs. Sweet!

Boost does stack with Advance, which might be useful in non-FF8 dungeons. Boost -> Armor Breakdown -> Advance -> PEW PEW PEW PEW

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2866 on: September 01, 2015, 02:09:39 AM »
You're making it sound like Irvine is an actually competent offense PC. Never stop.

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2867 on: September 01, 2015, 02:38:00 AM »
The game gods aren't funny.

I have three 5 star ff8 weapons and a 5 star body piece too.

Ugh.

At least that will help make this event easier.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2868 on: September 01, 2015, 02:55:58 AM »
Yeah Selphie has 407 Mind stat with synergy.  Diaga bitches.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2869 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:31 AM »
You can make enemies join you, it's a pretty complicated process and you end up with a moveset you know nothing about and die super fast.

Try recruiting a cow. Cows are broke tier.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2870 on: September 01, 2015, 04:56:50 AM »
Abyss Odyssey: Well this is a weird one.

This is sort of a roguelike but you get to keep your level between runs? I got to the final boss on the first run, but died. Then died again on a second run, but way sooner.

Art direction is: Oh my god best of any game ever. Art deco aesthetic with curves and flowers everywhere (http://image.noelshack.com/fichiers/2014/10/1394065021-demon-violinist-katrien-soldier.png), lovely 2.5D graphics, very imaginative enemy design. 

Gameplay is : Roguelike with Smash Brothers Style fighting game mechanics. I happen to not like those very much and find the game super messy as a result. Characters aren't very responsive and you never quite feel totally in control. Would have rather liked they'd stick to Castlevania fighting.

I don't quite get a roguelike in which I feel I'm doing poorly and still almost reach the end of my first playthrough, then get several rewards for the next playthrough upon dying.
It's, uh, at least going to be an interesting 4-5 hours to finish the game.

You made it sound awesome and then terrible.

FFTypo - I just realised that Cinque +Jack are Tiffany and Kevin from Daria in personality and line delivery.  They are probably a better couple than Brittany and Keven were.  Other characters from other sources are Queen is Quistis, Machina is generic anime rival (he is Seifer without the homo-eroticism and he is more being played than being a pile of stupid.  DUAL WIELDZ though!).  King is generic older bro who rocks a fucking killer mullet and uses akimbo Magnums, so he is pretty rad.

Edit - Oh and I forgot the obvious Seven is Payne.  Payne works well in a better game.

Edit - Also got Trey's summer outfit

I love how because he wears a long sleeve shirt they want to balance out the Shooting Glove he has on one hand they give him an elbow length glove on the other hand.  It doesn't work.  He looks like a really bad MJ impersonator instead of someone that wants to be MJ.  It probably could have just been a bracer or something instead of a glove that makes him look like he washes dishes (with style).
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:03:40 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2871 on: September 01, 2015, 05:51:16 AM »
Cinque is unequivocally the best thing about FFType0.

FFRK: huh. Didn't realize that Beatrix was actually three fights worth of rewards. I just looked at the first one, thought "meh don't really care" and decided not to bother with the EX++ fight this time. Then I had some extra stamina to blow and found out that now I have roughly a day to beat her twice more, each time more difficult and costing more stamina. Great.

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #2872 on: September 01, 2015, 06:01:21 AM »
Best part about Cinque is scratching her ass during her win pose.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2873 on: September 01, 2015, 06:52:16 AM »
FF why not just do opium instead - So the game gives you a nice welcome back package,  something like 20 mythril and some upgrade materials. Neat.

Got the ff6 characters up to Kefka and stalled on him just like Seifer's fight. Gonna focus on getting the ff6 folks levelled before next Thursday when the event ends so I can get Kefka and everyone's memory crystals. With the right roaming summon I may be able to luck my way out before people reach 50 but yeah. What day is exp day? Sunday right?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2874 on: September 01, 2015, 08:17:35 AM »
You're making it sound like Irvine is an actually competent offense PC. Never stop.

Oh shit did you see Irvine intimidate a T-Rex?? Irvine is badass man
His stats are actually pretty standard compared to the other supports. (Red 13 is far ahead, but front row only) Irvine actually has one of the least rare weapon types among other supporters, who use pins, bows, whips, and water polo balls. (Plus later on: Cards, hand cannons, harps)

FFTypo - I just realised that Cinque +Jack are Tiffany and Kevin from Daria in personality and line delivery.  They are probably a better couple than Brittany and Keven were.  Other characters from other sources are Queen is Quistis, Machina is generic anime rival (he is Seifer without the homo-eroticism and he is more being played than being a pile of stupid.  DUAL WIELDZ though!).  King is generic older bro who rocks a fucking killer mullet and uses akimbo Magnums, so he is pretty rad.

Edit - Oh and I forgot the obvious Seven is Payne.  Payne works well in a better game.

I thought that Machina was the pseudo main character you're supposed to identify with because he's the new guy in town
And that 7 was Lightning

Edit - Also got Trey's summer outfit

I love how because he wears a long sleeve shirt they want to balance out the Shooting Glove he has on one hand they give him an elbow length glove on the other hand.  It doesn't work.  He looks like a really bad MJ impersonator instead of someone that wants to be MJ.  It probably could have just been a bracer or something instead of a glove that makes him look like he washes dishes (with style).

What's with the half bra /giant eyepatch that only covers one breast and is worn over clothes