imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183561 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2800 on: December 09, 2014, 02:44:12 AM »
Enjoy the orc murder.  ENJOY IT!  Bwhahahahaha.  Yes, you can eventually get nigh-invulnerable orcs that constantly regen health and kill you in one hit.  It's GLORIOUS.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2801 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:21 AM »
Still can't fuck the ghost, though.
I am tired of Bioware's pro SJW bullshit. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Fool me thrice with no ghostboning? I'm done. They've clearly forgotten about the fans that built them up, the fans that truly mattered. Now they are slaves to social media and political correctness. I can't handle it anymore, the constant betrayal is just too much. I'm not going to take it anymore and neither should you.

:golfclap: I enjoyed this bit of satire. Thank you.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2802 on: December 09, 2014, 01:05:09 PM »
Nier - I am finished this game.  This game isn't finished with itself though.  it won't fucking stop.

So bored.  The game is so far up its own arsehole.  You know what would be cool?  If you didn't kill off the support cast more than once each during the game.

The gameplay sucks, the plot during all the main missions is terrible and stupid.  It has all the depths of my kitchen sink. 

The side quests are the best writing in the game and are consistent and on the central theme of the game, which is more than you can say for all the fucking main areas.  It is a shame the best parts of the game has deliberate aggressively bad gameplay because SIDE QUESTS ARE BAD.

This game is bad and I regret not waiting for longer to play it.  Putting it aside for a rainy day for when I wanted a really good game ended up being the exact opposite of what it was.

Now I actually need to go kill the final boss (again).  Maybe there is another two forms.  Kaine hasn't committed suicide or been killed out of hand just yet, so maybe there is only 6 more fights to get through in this rubbish.

I don't care if New Game+ starts me half way through the game, I am not touching this crap again for 20 minutes of cutscenes I can youtube IF I feel like giving it the time of day again.

Edit - Oh and Kaine's butt corset is embarrassing and you should all feel bad.

Edit 2 - Okay there wasn't a suicide pointlessly cutscene for her, what a twist.  Now I can't skip the credit sequence.  Hooray.

So like the setting does leave a lot of questions open that I assume it answers in the other endings?  But you have to earn that kind of commitment from me as a player.  I am not going to sink more time into this snoozefest of a game to find out why human spirits and bodies being separated was the answer to avoiding extinction.  Why spirits trying to inhabit bodies again kills the body (presumably the disease kills them).  Why Shadows are human souls and they fight humans.  How the shadows can pretend to be Bodies.  Why they are fighitng.  Why the fuck Kaine has a butt corset.  Why Nier's shadow form is the centre of the universe for reasons OTHER than narrative convenience.  Why Emil even exists in this story. 

The game is a bare minimum set of systems and resources put together tied together with shoestrings to tell a story that has no focus and is too busy going HURHURR VIDEO GAEMS ARE DUMB HURRR HURR to deliver on a single fucking concept.  You don't get to talk that kind of shit about video games when you can't deliver.

For a game who has a central them of fatherhood (or family) it sure does sweet fuck all to build the relationship between Nier and Yonah.

I will give it one thing on that front though.  It does do the story of a sociopath trying to save a young girl plot years before The Last of Us did it and it does it significantly worse than The Last of Us does.

For a game that wants to talk about video games, it doesn't talk about much of any relevance, doesn't examine any of them with any particular depth.

OH hey, a fun thought did occur to me though.  Since it is a video game about video games, maybe Nier is Frog Fractions 2 and the real joke is that it sucks.

Edit 3 - Okay now that the credits are done the clear save data tells me what I am replaying for.  To see Kaine's story?  Oh cool I don't need to bother playing again.  Good to know.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2014, 01:21:52 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2803 on: December 09, 2014, 02:53:51 PM »
Kaine's insane fanservice is actualy pretty cool because she's a hermaphrodite

I agree that "LOL videogame fetchquests! Here's a fetchquest" is dumb but I don't remember Nier going "LOL videogames!" like at all. When did that happen? It can't possibly be a major part of the game...
I've seen a lot of games do that in smal doses recently (Far Cry Blood Dragon comes to mind) probably as a push back against the endless Zelda-ish tutorials and endless MMO fetchquests. I barely notice it anymore.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2804 on: December 09, 2014, 08:47:04 PM »
I could be attributing intent to places that I just see incompetence I suppose because the game is busy slow jerking itself off in so many other ways.

The core combat system is pretty bad, it plays like an action RPG but the controls aren't that tight or responsive.  If you get hit it is super easy to be chain at the end of your crazy long stun animation, you better be mashing the shit out of Evade or something to get yourself moving out of the way.  There is a combo system that doesn't do a damn thing, it is just there because that is what video games do (both of these are a series staple).

The core plot is over the top and fucking stupid at so many points, everyone instantly forms deep meaningful relationships with the random social detritus they meet and they all constantly self sacrifice over and over again, because that is what JRPGs do.

During every sequence where the game is all "check me out I am just like that other genre" it does it badly. 
- All the Danmaku components you work around by just attacking bullets and the controls aren't tight enough to actually do proper bullet hell stuff and enemy placement she trash do it is way too random for it to be even any good. 
 - The Text Adventure sequence at the Forest of Myth boils down to like 5 or 6 player interactions and is probably the best part of the regular game.  15 minutes pretty okay joke ain't worth shit when you are going to repeat it later badly and the rest of your game is terrible, especially when the good part is in the half of the game you don't get to redo.
 - The Haunted Mansion is all Resident Evil at the start and does literally nothing with it.  Here is 6 rooms where you have terrible controls because of a fixed camera kill some shades then we will move on.  Otherwise run around finding different shaped keys.  Take that Resident Evil!  You know, that style of puzzle that the series hasn't done since the PS1? Yeah that was so bad you guyzzzzzzz.
 - After that the haunted mansion turns into either a genre I can't place or one I placed incorrectly is isometric real time combat games.  This is actually okay.  The action is only occasionally obscured by stuff in the way of th camera and the camera being zoomed out hella far.
 - Junk Yard randomly features top down shooter sequences.  The single thing they have in common is that the controls go to shit.
- Abandoned Temple has seriously hard puzzles like "don't run" "don't jump".

Now I could be incorrectly thinking that these things were done badly deliberately based on the fact that the side quests are done poorly deliberately, but it is done so well in the side quests.  You do slow boring unrewarding tasks and your reward is helping people that are struggling during after the apocalypses has happened.  Through that you are shown a massive range in different families and how they work.  They are all different than Nier and Yonah's relationship but most of them are pretty healthy at best or at worst the outcome between Weiss and Nier is that regardless of the situation they don't really have much room to judge.

That stuff is so good that I just don't want to see that Kaine became petrified door Jesus for 5 years for no narrative pay off other than that is what we do in these games rather than it being a commentary on these games.

That said I don't know why I want this, because even if it is a commentary I interpret it as terrible so fuck me.  I am just grumpy and unpleasable I guess.

Oh and the load times on this thing are fucking monstrous.  That really pushes your buttons when you aren't having fun and the best parts of the game are in the grindy part that insists you move between maps a lot.  That said, that is my fault for doing the part of the game that is deliberately bad though.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2805 on: December 09, 2014, 10:18:31 PM »
Wait a sec, so Grefter walk into NieR unknowing this is a Yokotaro production, that is designed to appall the players in one way or another.
And he even endured all this for two cycles with no prior knowledge?

Oh my god.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2806 on: December 09, 2014, 11:04:00 PM »
Grefter, I think your assessment is way off base and I'm not sure what mindset you went into the game with that caused this kind of vitriolic reaction. I could make an impassioned rebuttal of your points but I don't have that kind of time. Instead, here's a post voicing disagreement that exists just to counter any illusion of consensus that silence might indicate.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2807 on: December 10, 2014, 12:21:54 AM »
It seems that Grefter's hate cup has runneth over.

Super Mario 3D World - After a lot of deaths and tears, I finally beat the third world of the aftergame, which is primarily remixed (and douchier) versions of old stages, often adding in more enemies, faster platforming, and 100 seconds time limits. In practice, most of the stages don't feel that similar at all despite using the same map. The final stage in the aftergame was a mammoth of a stage, featuring pretty much all of the bosses in the game that weren't Bowser. I timed out a couple times, beat the first five bosses, and then realized there was a sixth. So I spent the next 10 or 20 tries trying to git gud enough to beat the stage in the requisite amount of time. I beat the aftergame primarily with Rosalina because she is only playable in the aftergame.

There are like three stages left in the game, but you have to collect every star, every stamp, and get to the top of every goal post to get to it. I'm not 100% sure I am up for that job, but I have started it already so maybe I am. Got all the stuff in the first four worlds.

This game is utterly fantastic. Like many longtime Mario fans, I generally consider SMB2 and SMB3 to be the duo of awesomeness for the Mario series, the gold standard. This game is the closest thing to that gold standard that I have played in the series. I will have to ponder how I feel about it vs. SMB3, which is pretty high honors in my book!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2808 on: December 10, 2014, 12:23:01 AM »
Grefter, I think your assessment is way off base and I'm not sure what mindset you went into the game with that caused this kind of vitriolic reaction. I could make an impassioned rebuttal of your points but I don't have that kind of time. Instead, here's a post voicing disagreement that exists just to counter any illusion of consensus that silence might indicate.

also you smell

Some people don't like some things, it is okay. There's been enough Nier love on this board that we know it's not a consensus!

Anyway I think things like the mansion were more of a throwback more than a commentary? I like the closed rooms and the tons of keys in Resident Evil and Silent Hill. I don't think including them immediately means it's trying to say it's terrible.

Gameplay has a lot of variety, with individual segments not as good as they could be if fully fledged out but whatever? Kinda like 2D platforming in WA4, it's obviously not amazing but the variety is nice compared to a regular game. I really don't think it's trying to be Barkley Shut up and Jam: Gaiden at all. As shown by the way it's taking itself seriously.

I found the gameplay tight enough overall in specific parts. On hard. I got murdered by the boar for 20 hours before getting to the first dungeon though. I loved the feel of controling of the super fast main character + environmental design + music more than anything. Overall I liked the game a lot until the dumb last arc.

Portal 2: I finished it, Wheatley got pretty fun. Gameplay was as atrocious as told during the midgame. I like the idea of using portals outside of test chambers but I'm sure they could have found something better than "find the tiny white spot".
There were some super clever puzzles at the end though.

Um.

It's pretty weird to have a sequel where the main villain is much less threatening (gameplaywise he's actually more dangerous I believe)

As I understood it, Wheatley started to hate Chell because when he switched places with Glados he could control the whole facility but also kinda installed files like IAmSuperEvil.exe to do it.
I understood this was also the reason GladOS hated Chell so much and why she really became softer when detached from the mainframe. So why does she let Chell go when she gets control back at the end?
I mean sure she got on a fun adventure with Chell before being reinstalled, but Wheatley did the same thing and still turned super evil.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2809 on: December 10, 2014, 12:34:31 AM »
Fenrir, I think the suggestion is that

-GladOS is an A.I. composite of Caroline (Cave Johnson's assistant).

-Caroline was Chell's mom.

-I forget exact wording, but turret opera's lyrics are basically butchered Italian to the extent of "Stay away from science, my daughter Chell."

-Not to drag up an overused line, but I'm pretty sure Caroline Deleted was a lie.

I adore the ending sequence of Portal 2 and that's even completely independent of the above.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2810 on: December 10, 2014, 12:56:55 AM »
Aah ok! Makes sense.
But, a mother's love trumping code?
Too unrealistic!

Oh, I forgot:

Some people don't like some things, it is okay.*

*Except when it's Dark Souls

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2811 on: December 10, 2014, 12:58:23 AM »
It is an honor to be 'not okay' then.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2812 on: December 10, 2014, 12:59:19 AM »
Shadow of Mordor: I've made no story progress but one of the orcbrahs I was fighting was weak to arrows so I set him on fire using a Fire Arrow. He got charred and got a small scene where he just said, "Life ... ends," which was shockingly existential and ruminative for this fairly dumb game.

PS - one second later his brain was full of sword.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2813 on: December 10, 2014, 01:04:26 AM »
Pokemon Alpha Sapphire: Beat the rematch with basically just Rayquaza and Kyogre. Imported a L100 Scizor with Technican Swords Dance+False Swipe to catch all the legendaries now, plus mess around with Secret Base options.

After a week or two, I'll bank everything and restart the game with a way more interesting team:

Mightyena
Beautifly
Dustox
Masquerain
Delcatty
Plusle/Minun (whichever is more common in AS)
Volbeat
Spinda
Castform
Kecleon
Chimecho
Luvdisc

Trainer name: Niuko

To keep things interesting, I'll disable the exp share until after Delta Episode is finished, because the E4 rematch levels are too dumb otherwise; even there I'll only start off with a L60 team and grind up further if it proves completely impossible. Also I won't use healing items in-battle vs Gym Leaders and the Elite Four (and Aqua admins I guess, not that I should need any healing there). I will max out everyone's affection in Pokemon Amie though, the exp boost will be helpful and a lot fairer than exp share while the hax working in favor of these guys should feel amusing rather than cheap.

Also I could use some nickname suggestions. Ephraim is an obvious pick for Mightyena but otherwise I'm dry on ideas right now. Maybe super for Luvdisc just because that makes for a funny visual image. Also the nicknames don't have to be DL member names, though I'm obviously fine with those.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 01:40:43 AM by hinode »

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2814 on: December 10, 2014, 01:09:36 AM »
Delcatty sounds good for me :)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2815 on: December 10, 2014, 01:25:42 AM »
Pokeniu is back, bitches.

yessssss

Hyrule Warriors - I fully cleared the Adventure Map at long last, and also passed 100 hours played. The very last map I finished was a "defeat 1000 enemies in 10 minutes" one where you have to deal with half a dozen human bosses and three(!) Imprisoned. After several tries I cleared it in 9:58; only map I got a C ranking on.

No I'm not done with the game.

Lunar: Eternal Blue Complete - Nearing the end of disc 2, just beat the Red Fiend. I do like this game overall but there are some very clear flaws with its writing sometimes. The Mauri arc was pretty terribly bungled. Oh well! Beyond that the writing is reasonably sharp overall and the gameplay remains one of the best-executed traditional turn-based gameplay systems.

Super Smash Bros. 4 Wii U - Outside of plenty of multiplayer smashing action I'm doing the event matches, which are certainly a lot more fun than any one-player mode in the 3DS version. I generally try to do them on Hard but some are too evil so I settle for beating them in Normal instead.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2816 on: December 10, 2014, 02:39:40 AM »
NOTE: I AM NOT BEING AGGRESSIVE WITH THE BELOW.  TONE IS MEANT TO BE DIRECT INFORMATIVE.  Edit - Also of course as soon as I post I want to edit in a bunch of NONONO I MEAN THIS to stuff.
You want to know what mindset I went into?  One that had been set exactly by the kind of dissenting voice you aren't really going through there.  You, Fenrir, CK and others really dug this game.  You all liked the music and seemed to think the game itself wasreally good.  I had it packed away for a rainy day.  Edit - This is to say, I appreciated your opinions and took them on board!  You got my interest in the game up.

My personal experience was okay music that didn't push any boundaries and a messy game that is full of gameplay that is average at best.

I am not accusing you guys of setting my expectations so high that I couldn't have them met or anything, I was just expecting a good game or interesting concepts and I didn't get that out of this.  Edit - So I wanted to post about what I got out of it to share that.  Not to start a fight.  My personal weather vane on the DL opinion of the game is that it is quite well thought of.  If I didn't have something different to say (and wasn't frustrated with it) I would have just posted like Nier - Its good and you already know why.

I know of the designer's oeuvre (but no first hand experience prior to this), I just don't think he has done the work to earn that here.  See Spec Ops: The Line for a game that earned that exact kind of thing. 

Fen, the difference between WA4 platforming bits and Nier is that platforming isn't 80% of the game and it doesn't use turn based combat controls to do it.  That said, turn based platformer, get on that indie devs.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2014, 02:43:54 AM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2817 on: December 10, 2014, 03:31:10 AM »
I meant that platforming in WA4 is bigger or as big as Text only thing / RE mansion / Isometric top down action / shooter / bullet hell in Nier.
Regular fighting that's a big part of the game is still like better than, say, Skyrim.

Anyway, aren't that greek town and the aerie at least super great to see?

I dunno. I'd think you'd have found enough cool shit in here. Dude at least Kaine's gender is super great. You get guys frothing over her then getting to the reveal and then being all confused about their sexuality.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2818 on: December 10, 2014, 04:09:45 AM »
Started up Dragon Age: Origins cause of the hubbub the other day. Cause my 3 bucks I paid from the bargain bin is what put them where they are today.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2819 on: December 10, 2014, 05:12:45 AM »
FF10 HD: So...I finally finished this, took me long enough!  Blame...I'm not sure, I really should have played this faster.  Screw it, whoever posts directly after me is to blame for this!

So yeah, I need to finish my plot rant?  Well, let's get started!

So first we go to Bevelle!  Shelinda is all "I'm a captain and OH GOD I DON'T KNOW WHAT TO DO!"  It's not a meaningful scene per se other than further establishing Yevon really is falling apart.  Not only are the priests arguing, but someone like Shelinda being made Captain of the Guards?  Uh, yeah, that proves your options are slim. 

Then they meet with Mika, because that was Kimhari's idea.  Mika is all "You met Yunalesca? GOOD! KILL SIN NOW!" and Yuna is like "uh, yeah, about that...we sort of killed her...I mean, she was already dead, but well...you know how it works...you're unsent yourself" Ok, so she didn't say THAT, but basically Mika spills the beans on Yu Yevon's existence (That Yunalesca name-dropped), and pretty much spells out that Sin is just an armor protecting the real deal.  One thing I have to say is that this "Man behind the Giant Evil Whale Monster" reveal doesn't do that I want to say happens often is exonerate Sin of his wrong doings, as it doesn't say "It's not Sin's fault!" but rather merely establishes Sin is just a weapon (or an Armor as Mika puts it), and so long as Yu Yevon exists, Sin can always come back.  With this bit of news finally established, Mika loses his will to live, and dies fully without a sending.

Shelinda obliviously appears and goes "where's Mika" and Auron gracefully fibs about how Mika hasn't arrived yet just to remove suspicion.  Shelinda falls for it; she's such a cute little tool.  I will make one comment about FF10-2 here:

I do find it funny how Shelinda actually ended up as a news reporter 2 years later.  I'm not sure I'd call it "in-character" but she wasn't exactly a major character so giving her a funny little role just to cover what she did was nice.  For all it's faults, FF10-2 did at least remember the existence of a lot of secondary and tertiary characters, and tried to cover their bases there.   Yes, Isaaru's role is completely out of left field, but at least they REMEMBERED Isaaru exists!  Gotta give credit where credit is due.  I think only Luzu and Gatta are absent, and that's understandable since it avoids having to establish a canon fate for them, and you can't show both for obvious reasons.

...well, ok, it also lacked Wakka/Lulu's previous summoner, but he has literally one scene and just existed as a guy who would logically trust Wakka/Lulu over Yevon while still being part of the order to help some exposition, so whatever there.  We can assume he got eaten by a Shoopuff and move on!

Anyway, into the Chamber of the Fayth, Bahamut explains further that Yu Yevon was once a summoner, and is now trying to call THE ULTIMATE SUMMONING!  He is neither good nor evil! Dead nor alive! Etc. etc.

...yeah, Bahamut, bullshit on that "Good nor evil" thing.  Yu Yevon is clearly the bad guy; there's no excuse to torture a civilization for 1000 years just because you're trying to summon your village back.  You killed millions to save thousands.  That's not how it works!  See, in Doctor Who, it at least establishes the Doctor killed billions of Timelords to save trillions of lives across the galaxy!  Legitimate moral dilemna, it comes up several times throughout the "kill mass amounts to save even more!"  Yu Yevon is doing the opposite; he's restoring mass amounts by killing way more than he's saving. 

The only defense you can play is "Yu Yevon has lost all semblance of sentience is and acting entirely on instinct" which I guess is what Bahamut is trying to say; he doesn't really have a will of his own, more just acting entirely on auto-pilot, and as a result, can't really be considered good or evil, just kind of existing.  Anyway, Bahamut explains that Yevon needs Aeons to create Sin, and if all Aeons are dead, Yu Yevon will be exposed...well, no, he doesn't say this, he just urges you to summon him, and later Yuna comes to this conclusion but jumping the gun!

The final thing Bahamut says is the whole "The dream will disappear" nonsense to make sure Tidus understands and Tidus is cool with it, but Yuna is puzzled.  Yuna questions Tidus, Tidus goes "oh, it's nothing, let's go kill Sin!" and Yuna pulls Auron's "You're a poor liar!" card.

Ok, so major fight with Sin!  Screw plot, WE WANT ACTION!

I'd explain this but really, I think this imagery works better for how the fight ultimately goes. 

Well, ok, there are gravity bolts involved but ultimately, you get the idea.  The dialog here is mostly action scene stuff, until Yuna speculates how to beat SIn once and for all.  Summon Aeons -> kill them on the spot as they're possessed when they're still Aeons and not Sin.  Yuna notes what disturbs her here is that this is the first time the Aeons personally requested to be used; they've been allies for a while, but never said "USE US NOW!"  Yuna shows discomfort in the idea, but pretty much understands it's the only way.

So after being eaten by Sin and Seymour's giant incorporeal chest, we run through some water and fight...Seymour!

I love this scene.  No, it's not important or reveals anything, it's just a nice stylish exchange of lines between Hero and villain.  It's utterly stock Hero vs. Villain dialog too, in that you could replace Tidus and Seymour here with just about any Good Guy vs. Bad Guy, arrange the wording to fit the characters in question, and it'd still work.  Observe!

Sanctus: Ahahaah!
Nero: Don't you ever give up?
Sanctus: The Savior has chosen me!  I am part of the Savior, one with the Savior, FOREVER! IMMORTAL!
Nero: The Savior just absorbed you!
Sanctus: I will learn to control it...from within!  I have all the time in the world!  Since you were so gracious enough to dispose of Dante...the only means of defeating the Savior and myself...is forever gone...NOW NOTHING CAN STOP US!
Nero; Well I can.
Sanctus: By all means TRY! You should thank me, your death means Kyrie's life!!!

SEE WHAT I MEAN!?  And of course, doing this properly means you let Seymour long enough to his Ultmia phase so he can be all "There is no salvation for the damned! Rest in peace in eternal darkness!" and "Let Darkness take you!"  Something about that exchange of lines just works for an Ultima quote...shut up Ramza and your "Brush off vanity, Show reality!" nonsense!  YOUR ULTIMA SUCKS AND YOU SHOULD FEEL BAD ABOUT CALLING IT ULTIMA AND...

...wait, getting side tracked.  Anyway, Seymour beaten, Yuna sends him, even as he's dying he's basically refuses to admit he was wrong, and is only admitting defeat because you have him against the corner and he pretty much acknowledges there's no hope for him left.

MORE DUNGEON CRAWLING!  Then we get to the stupid crystal room WHY DO YOU EXIST GO BURN IN A DITCH OF PAIN AND TORMENT AND...

...oh hi Jecht.  Nice to meet you finally!

So yeah, we finally meet Jecht face to face; all we've seen of him thus far is flashbacks from Tidus' perspective, and the Jecht Spheres, and that one scene in Zanarkand.  Jecht's first thing he says?

"You're late, Auron."

This is just quickly establishing that Jecht still has some of him left; he's not completely taken by Sin and that this is in fact Jecht speaking.  It establishes he still has that bad sense of humor left in him that we've seen plenty of.  After that, he follows up by referring to Tidus' growth, and how he looks scrawny, which you can't tell if he's bullying Tidus or just teasing him.  Then he goes "You've really grown up, haven't you" in a sincere voice, which establishes the first line was Jecht just being himself, and the 2nd line was him getting his act together and showing both recognition that his son is now indeed a man, and there's a sense of remorse in his voice, almost like "and I missed all this happen", understandable situation for a father.

Tidus' response is "You're still bigger", which can be interpreted to mean multiple things.  Could be that Tidus is acknowledging that he's still not as big and tough as Jecht literally, could also mean Tidus' way of saying Jecht is more of an adult than he is, and showing some respect, etc.  Then Jecht goes "well I am Sin" and Tidus calls him out on it not being funny; Jecht's trying to lighten the mood, and said the wrong thing.  Jecht then goes on about how Tidus came here and knows what he's got to do, etc. 

Then we get the moment Tidus has been waiting his entire life for.  The one thing he was never able to do to Jecht when they were together because he was intimidated, and never afterwards since Jecht was gone:

"Dad." "Yeah?" "I hate you!"

Now for all the irony things to kick in!  First off, Tidus said "Dad" for like the first time in the entire game.  He never referred to Jecht by "Dad" or "Father" any such I believe; it's always "My old man" and what not.  The fact that he calls him "Dad" shows that this is the first time Tidus thinks of Jecht as family, so that's important.  The "I hate you" is also said in a way that's holding back from crying, almost like he's forcing it out, and he doesn't actually believe it himself, but he needs to let it out. 

Jecht's response? "I know, I know, and that's why you need to do it."  He goes onto explain how there's very little left of him.  He then explains that once it starts, he can't hold back Sin.  Why does he say this?  Well mostly works around that annoying plothole of "if Jecht wanted to die, why not just let them kill him?"  The Answer is sort of given here.  We assume Jecht can only be killed in Aeon form, and that the form he's taking now is just an avatar of himself.  Once he's in Aeon form, he's no longer himself, but Yu Yevon is in control of him, so yeah, that's why he's fighting back!  It's a cheap explanation but gets the point across for why there is a final boss fight at all!

As Jecht transforms, Tidus tries to stop him, fails, then goes "I'll show you, GIVE IT ALL YOU GOT DAD!"

Personally, I like to think the next part goes a little something likethis.

Jecht falls, and Tidus does the dramatic "run over to grab his body from falling."  Jecht starts calling him a crybaby, and sure enough, Tidus is completely bawling here.  For a game that keeps saying how much Tidus cries...this is the first time we see him cry.  Granted, Jecht last saw him when he was like 7, so things have changed, but I digress.  Tidus is crying "I hate you!"  and Jecht pretty much spells out that he's proud of Tidus and that he's his son and he hasn't disappointed him, and Tidus says "For the first time, I'm glad that you're my father."  Quite a contrast from how the first we saw of Tidus and Jecht was Tidus looking at a billboard of his father and giving him an angry "HMPH!" and well, yeah, it's almost like Tidus and Jecht have grown a lot over their journeys and it only took saving the world for them to finally be a family...and now Jecht is dying...

OH CRAP YU YEVON!  QUICK YUNA SUMMON AEONS AND KILL THEM!  You do that, Yuna gets upset after each.

Then Tidus drops the Bombshell of "yeah, so I'm going to die after this fight." Why now?  Because they literally cannot turn back, so it makes sense.  Again, the irony thing kicks in; the whole purpose of the mission was to kill Sin without losing Yuna, and ideally kill Sin FOREVER.  The only way to do that is to lose Tidus instead, and the reason they go through with ti is because only Tidus knows about it (and possibly Auron, who Tidus is the only one who knows HIS secret), and they didn't, and well, now they don't have a choice!

...it's also why Yuna's "WE DIDN'T HAVE A CHOICE!" rant at X-2 is bullshit because, well, she really didn't have a choice because she didn't even know there was a choice to be made!  She went in thinking "ok, we're killing Sin; we need to lose Aeons, but there's literally no other way!"  Yuna's rant somehow glosses over this and misses like the entire point of FF10 and people who defend his "It sucks" rant is because "HER CHARACTER COMES FULL CIRCLE" when uh, it already came full circle in FF10?  She was clearly NOT ok with this decision, but it's not like she could do a damned thing about it.

Yu Yevon goes splat, victory!  MASSIVE SENDING! Auron dies.  One thing I do wish is Tidus and Auron actually exchanged some last words because Auron has been Tidus' second father of sorts, you'd think he'd have a stronger emotional reaction.  I do appreciate the pat on the chest he gets Kimhari, because Kimhari is the one who fulfilled Auron's dying wish, after all.

Then we see Spira recovering leading to Tidus' death.  Strong emotional scene between him and Yuna, between Tidus saying "I have to go, sorry I couldn't show you Zanarkand" since that was like the one thing he promised her and he failed.  I'm not going into details here because you all know what happens, but I will again hype the decision to translate Yuna's line as "I love you" being the right thing to do here, instead of the awfully cliched "Thank you."  Considering how emotional this scene is, and how clear her feelings are, the "Thank you" thing just falls short, and it's just a corny way of going "She loves him but doesn't!"  Explicitly saying "love" instead gets the emotional context across way better, and a nice change of pace.  I get that sometimes using "Thank you" works to keep the relationship ambiguous while still suggest they are a thing, but with Tidus and Yuna, we already KNOW they're a thing, we KNOW they have strong emotional feelings for one another, just have her come out and say it, and it gives Tidus nice final words to go off as he dies.

Then he high fives his dad, ending the relationship on a strong positive note!  Yay character development!

From here, Yuna has a speech, blah blah, game ends. 

So that's FF10!  Overall, plot still holds up and character work is still strong.  I am convinced that anyone who calls Tidus a whiner really doesn't pay attention to the game, instead hears his voice, listens to some early game dialog (which isn't whining, I should note), and just assumes everything he says is grating nonsense.  Yes, he has some moments where he whines (the "What do you want to do?" "Scream really loud...AAAAAAAAAAAAAH!" scene comes to mind), but most of his complaining is justified.

Whining is defined as unjustified and grating complaining.  Getting emotional after being told "Your father is Sin" is totally understandable.  I was discussing this with someone and we both agreed that the problem with Tidus hatred is people expect him to act perfect and take everything with strides, but instead he takes things...like a person would.   He has a realistic reaction to a lot of it, instead of a fictional super human mentality, nor does he have an overly depressed but quiet self angst that you see him slowly overcome.  He's a normal dude (...plot twist aside), and gets thrown in an extremely exceptional situation and does what he can to adjust.  The culture shock makes sense why he'll suddenly be all over with these mood swings, and worth noting he has plenty of positive emotions mixed in with the negative ones early on, and by Kilika his mindset is "guess I'm not going home anytime soon, might as well make the most of it."  At Macalania, he's pretty much convinced himself he's never going home, ever, and takes it pretty well...because he's slowly growing use to Spira and gotten use to this notion of "getting home won't be easy" so when he's convinced "it won't be possible" he already was considering that option.

Tidus is not a whiner.  He's normal person put in a really bizarre situation.  Likewise, Jecht is not a good father either, and Tidus had every right to complain about him.  Now yes, Tidus did always assume the worst when there was more to it, and Jecht is a better person than Tidus gave him credit for, but you have to remember that from Tidus' perspective, Jecht was being an emotionally abusive father.  Jecht didn't see it that way but that's because Jecht's inflated ego and "it's tough love!" mindset blinded him to the reality.  While JEcht may have meant well, the end result was he is still abusive to Tidus, and he really only recognizes this once he's in Spira and it's too late.  That's why he's so accepting of Tidus telling him outright he hates him.  If Tidus told him earlier, when they were in Zanarkand?  Jecht would have laughed it off, just going "Yeah, you keep telling yourself that kid!  I'm the best!" or something.  The fact that his reaction is "I know" shows how much Jecht has grown. 

Rikku is ruined more by FF10-2 than I remember, because I was reminded of how FF10 establishes pretty early how she's intelligent and competent.  She's not "stupid" just young and immature and energetic.  She's clearly capable of holding her own in an intellectual conversation and thinking outside the box, and even calls her father out on the "LET'S JUST BLOW OURSELVES UP AND TAKE EVERYONE OUT!" on why that is dumb.  The fact that they degraded her to the "Energetic idiot comic relief" is insulting to what was being established in FF10.  It really shows they didn't care for her character, and instead went "We need the Sweet Girl, the Fun Girl, and the Tough Girl!" and Rikku fit the bill for the middle one.  She has some great interactions with Tidus and Wakka, and even some minor scenes like the scene with Kimhari where he's all "Rikku should stay Rikku!"  She really needs that interactions to work, and she doesn't really bounce off Yuna much in FF10, so it's only natural she wouldn't bounce off her much in FF10-2...which is really bad because that's one of the two primary characters she works with.  Likewise, Rikku didn't interact with Auron much, who is probably the closest thing to Paine...uh-oh...

Really don't have much else to say about the game other than a lot of my suspicions were confirmed on this playthrough, and I noticed a lot of little things I didn't pick up the first time in terms how the plot actually goes together.  I know these rants won't change anyone's opinions, but I do feel more confident in countering points people make about this game specifically.  Tidus is not a whiner, Rikku is not an idiot, and Jecht is indeed an awful father, and it's not just Tidus.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2820 on: December 10, 2014, 05:46:07 AM »
Hey Rob, console or PC for DA:I?

I've heard various complaints about the PC version and have no idea how much is stupid bitching and how much is legit.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2821 on: December 10, 2014, 08:53:49 AM »
Hey Rob, console or PC for DA:I?

I've heard various complaints about the PC version and have no idea how much is stupid bitching and how much is legit.

Depends on the quality of your rig. Even the minimum requirements are nothing to sneeze at but on a good machine it looks AMAZING. And naturally for a game whose UI borrows so much from WoW, mouse and keyboard controls are much more responsive than a controller. also I think the console version has you swap discs like it's 1997 or something.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2822 on: December 10, 2014, 11:33:32 AM »
Pokéniu Reloaded FUCK YEAH

SHIT JUST GOT REAL

Also, for nicknames, I demand Mega Ciatos for Beautifly and Sir Alex for Castform.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2823 on: December 10, 2014, 11:40:24 AM »
Obviously then Snow has to be the Dustox and NEB the Masquerain to match Ciatos.

Can I be a Spinda named Djinnda? :-[

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2824 on: December 10, 2014, 12:11:05 PM »
Oh, regarding, Pokeniu, Ephraim kind of has to be Luvdisc, if you're going to use any DLer.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A