Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183541 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2475 on: November 07, 2014, 02:01:38 PM »
4-1 is farmville, but the barrier to entry is preeeeetty high.  You should try it with edged weapons sometime.  It will make you :(

If you look at levels like a course to get to the finish line on, it's gonna be a long game.  Instead, look at levels as puzzles that you chip away at the answer with every life.  Also you'll be happy for all that spice you get from mindflayers later.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2476 on: November 07, 2014, 03:55:37 PM »
Yeah Demon's Souls has no checkpoints, so the way back to the boss if pretty long, unless you found a shortcut.
But most of the bosses are a lot easier.

After 1-1 usually I go get some ores in 2-1 then do whatever. The easiest levels for you should be 1-2 I guess or 3-1.
4-1 is indeed one of the hardest levels at the beginning, and 2-1 has a difficult boss. 5-1, let's not talk about 5-1.
You should be able to kill at least a few 4-1 enemies and get out, for farming. They're intimidating but not that hard to beat. With a weapon and a shield at least, I forgot how magic went against them.

Magic is pretty boring in Demon's Souls, but at least you don't have to deal with weapon upgrading IIRC? Waiting for MP to recharge without using spices is like healing by waiting in Vampire Bloodlines, don't do it when you feel like you can afford spices.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2477 on: November 07, 2014, 04:19:26 PM »
Just off finishing 1-1 and not having finished Dark Souls, it feels like Dark Souls respects me and my time way more than this does.

Reading this sentence has brought forth mental anguish. Congratulations, Grefter.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 04:21:24 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2478 on: November 07, 2014, 08:35:01 PM »
You do futz with weapon upgrades on magic, but just for more mp regen than damage.

Just off finishing 1-1 and not having finished Dark Souls, it feels like Dark Souls respects me and my time way more than this does.

Reading this sentence has brought forth mental anguish. Congratulations, Grefter.

I really can't describe it better than that.  I am envisioning the impacts of dying a long way into a level.  Oh sure I can get my souls back, but  you need to get through a massive chunk of the level again of you didn't find shortcuts and to my knowledge Demons's doesn't have non-respawning enemies, so the pacing is even more jarring than just bonfires and estus.  The reward cycles are also much much longer between each other form what I am seeing in front of me.

Edit - research says I am wrong on this, but there is significantly fewer of them.

Thanks for the direction guys.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:38:20 PM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2479 on: November 07, 2014, 08:55:09 PM »
I think that's all pretty accurate and it describes in large part why I can't bring myself to replay Demon's Souls (the grammar there drives me nuts as well) even after playing its successors way more times than I'm comfortable admitting. They're just so much more user-friendly in spite of also being more difficult. Demon's Souls initial levels are really imposing when you don't know where to go, but the X-2 stages are all substantially easier since you know the rhythm of the zones and in general the game's bosses are pretty sad. Just crush it to dust in the cheapest way possible, Grefter, it deserves it.

Boletaria = lots of healing supplies, Latria = magic supplies, Stonefang = ore, Shrine of Storms = souls, Valley of Defilement = did you really expect to get anything of consequence from a place called Valley of Defilement? Latria probably has the easiest first round boss and gives the best rewards for a caster; getting through the place is just such a psychological ordeal. Getting the easy ore out of 2-1 for weapon upgrades and ignoring the boss for a while is probably good advice.

Latria is really cool, the swamp succeeds admirably at being the most depressing place ever (Valley of Defilement's end boss is the high point of the game by far), but otherwise I found the game's environments sorely lacking in personality. Too much of it's just grim and grey for the sake of being grim and grey. At least the prison and the swamp kinda have a reason for it and having some lost souls around lends them a little humanity in contrast to the overpowering awfulness.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2480 on: November 07, 2014, 09:39:15 PM »
Boletaria is grim greys and browns for a reason as well!  That way they can hide more grey and brown dudes in a mess of grey and brown that auto lock refuses to pick up.  I meant to say that game literally feels like Cameras's Souls's in my first post.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2481 on: November 07, 2014, 10:15:06 PM »
Bayonetta 2: So I beat a demon in hell using another demon and then Rodin was all "I'm awesome, deal with it, here's another weapon."  If this sounds too sane for Bayonetta, just remember this is the cliff note's version that leaves out...well...everything.

Crisis Core Hard mode: I've been not playing this for too long, I should finish it...so I made some slight plot progress after doing missions!  In Sector 5.

Curtain Call: Reset Terra and Zack's levels and they're back in the 40s, working on various other characters, I have unlocked all Turquoise and Red Shard characters, and all but 10-2 Rikku for Peach Shards.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2482 on: November 08, 2014, 12:35:09 AM »
I liked 1-1's greyness. It felt very grounded. It is anti Saints Row 4, in a good way.
In general I think the only thing Demon's Souls has over its sequels is the atmosphere in World 1 / 3 and particularly 5 (The Valley of Defilement has to be my favourite place in a videogame)

Shadowrun Dragonfall: The hit rate % are lying. This is worse than FFT.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2483 on: November 08, 2014, 12:39:19 PM »
Did you ever stop to think they might be miss rates???.?.

Demons's Souls's - Got up to robot spider in 2-1.  Panicked and died not knowing what the fuck like Capra.  Research, get Thief Ring I missed when saving Ostrava, have ability to stand in doorway and look around.  Die again looking around.    Read more carefully.  Find cheese mode spot.  There is a spot that you can only get hit by webs that do fuck all damage to you and not any fire.  Soul Arrow for victory.  I still have no idea why those fireballs were clipping on anything, but eh, a win is a win.  Less satisfying than throwing shit at Capra though.

ToX - Back in Fennmont.  I thought  I had a joke to make, but can't remember it.  Alvin is pretty great but all the villain cast is pretty bad.  Guide I am reading says that this random language a guy started speaking is Melnics, so that is a random thing for them to have dug back out to use over a decade later.

Soul Hackers - Got told to go to a super popular club and meet the DJs that own the place.  They are really super elite hackers.

These guys form the DJ crew known as Reticulan.  Alpha and Beta say they normally wouldn't do work by request but because Spooky asked them to and because ZeroCool is so good looking they will sell you computer program's for super cheap and tell you not to complain about piracy.

The super elite hacker crew leader sent an underage kid to a club to get hit on by creepy dudes because they know how to run a torrent client.

That said Beta (the one with the VR goggles) is my new favourite though because if the script is going to force you to be a ridiculous offensive stereotype you may as well own it like he does.
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 12:49:40 PM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2484 on: November 08, 2014, 01:15:47 PM »
This all makes sense!

I bet the Soul Hackers final boss will be Satan.
Wearing red/blue 3D glasses.
I've been listening to the music and it's pretty disappointing though. Especially since the prequel has a boss theme that sounds like it's from Barkley Gaiden https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZv3hjJz4NI
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 01:21:56 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2485 on: November 08, 2014, 09:08:46 PM »
I actually kind of dig that track, it has a pretty relentless bass line for a chip tune.  That is for Devil Summoner though, not Devil Summoner: Soul Hackers.  The lineage of SMT spin offs involved here is pretty fucking loopy.

I dig the soundtrack a bit actually.  It isn't a stand out use of rock like DDS is , but heres the EL-115 background track.  For a song that just plays in one store in the game?  I think it toys with more than it needed to.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2486 on: November 08, 2014, 09:24:22 PM »
Pretty sure it's spelled "Zer0Kewl" Gref

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2487 on: November 08, 2014, 09:25:51 PM »
Oh I absolutely love the track I linked.
I meant to say that the (probably much worse) prequel gets the cool music while Soul Hackers has mehish battle tracks in comparison.
That track you listed is groovy though.

I have restarted Shadowrun Dragonfall 5 times now. I just can't decide on a build

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2488 on: November 08, 2014, 10:16:12 PM »

Side quest.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2489 on: November 09, 2014, 01:47:15 AM »
I choose not to be insulted that you think that Soul Hackers is something that I could have created.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2490 on: November 09, 2014, 02:19:06 AM »
Demons's Souls's - I am doing 2-2.  Bearbug things are an excuse to play more of an infinitely more fun game.  I just lost thousands upon thousands of souls because I clipped some lava and died instantly then died running back because the blind corner random exploding thing wouldn't fucking trigger after running around the corner 3 or 4 times then the one time it did trigger I got caught on something because the camera fucked around.

I fucking hate this game.

Edit - And then die twice to the same thing on the ones at the start of the stage on the mine carts.  After every other time when sprinting straight past them avoids the explosion now it hits me in the back and one shots me.

Okay.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:23:52 AM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: November 09, 2014, 02:45:00 AM »
Now go try the valleeeeey

In Shadowrun Dragonfall I have settled for a katana wielding, racoon worshipping girl.
I'm playing on Very Hard, everybody is great in combat except Glory. (who's just pure healer I guess? She could at least be better than the decker in combat)
I now understand why I have a weird desire to smash absolutely everything in sight in that game. (but can't) It's because the hyper detailed isometric 2D items look just like Bastion's !

The hotel mission was pretty fun, but the game lost some cool factor there.
The background text says the club is the most hardcore club ever. Visually and audibly speaking, no way. The music is very low, the graphics are super bright. There are like only 10 NPCs in the club including guards. WTF, Shadowrun Dragonfall. Are you serious? Okay, the bartender -does- sell drugs but that's about it.

Here is my RPG nightclub ranking:
Vampire Bloodlines > Mass Effect 2/3 > Persona 2 > Shadowrun Dragonfall

But I'm still waiting for the Citizen Kane of RPG nightclubs there, Vampire Bloodlines wasn't enough.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 02:48:35 AM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: November 09, 2014, 03:02:00 AM »
Ok let me update the list after checking my RPG ratings list for more nightclubs within RPGs.

Official list is:

Alpha Protocol > Vampire Bloodlines > Mass Effect 2/3 >>> Shin Megami Tensei 2 > Persona 2 > Shadowrun Dragonfall > Shin Megami Tensei Nocturne

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: November 09, 2014, 03:04:06 AM »
Hyrule Warriors - Currently fucking around trying to put together ~pretty pictures~. There is no point to doing this at all, I can get the pretty pictures on the Internet, but I want them. >:( Is this what being a completionist feels like? I'm working on trying to learn to use the alternate weapons, such as Zelda's Wind Waker and Link's Great Fairy/Gauntlets. I also still need to get the chicken summoning weapon for Lana. Overall my fav people to play as have been Zelda, Sheik, Impa, and Cia.

Chickens in this game are such massive dicks. (This sounds like a recurring thing in the Zelda games.)  One of them even took over a base and sent out Captains to invade other bases.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 03:07:55 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: November 09, 2014, 03:55:56 AM »
Dark Souls - Died again losing a fuckload of souls I had made going the long way to boss of 2-2.  First death was climbing up the shortcut and walking off a platform I was trying to roll off of.  Lost the stain because I tried to walk up off a platform on to solid ground and instead of stepping up the slight elevation I walked along the edge of the "wall" and walked off the edge.

I have died more times to character controls being shit than enemies.

Fuck this game.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: November 09, 2014, 04:38:25 AM »
Smash: See Elf, basically.  Think I'm about Smashed out for single-player, don't care enough to finish the 2nd panel of challenges I just unlocked.  Happy to play online though if anyone wants to...

Transistor: Not very far in, but...  what.  Points for audacity, but the idea of "Action RPG where you can stop time every 5 seconds" seems totally broken in favor of the player, and not particularly fun.  It's like Valkyria Chronicles if the enemy side didn't get turns, and you could only die to the plinky reaction fire that happens when you move around.  You stop time, beat the crap out of the enemy however you please, then run around evading the enemy until time stop recharges again.  Repeat until dead.

Can't say I'm particularly enamored with the story, either.  Computer-town is 100% deserted, the only people you meet are dead bodies and bosses.  You are soul-sucking the other programs into your sword, which sounds pretty interesting, except that only the first guy soul-sucked (code-sucked?) seems to actually talk or react.  I ate the enemy boss's memories?  How does she feel now that she's stuck inside my sword?  Is she angry?  Has she been mind-controlled to be my willing slave?  Who knows, it happened, but she doesn't talk.  Shame, because I think I like the idea here (inside of a computer environment, hostile process attacks virus-style), but making the world deserted was the wrong choice.  I suppose it was fine in Bastion, but even Bastion quickly introduced characters who you could sort of interact with; actual people, rather than random news flashes or emails, would have been nice.  They could have gone for silly, they could have gone for horror, but nope.

Well, maybe it's too early to get angry, I'll see...  although since the game is supposed to be very short, it doesn't have much time left.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: November 09, 2014, 04:59:33 AM »
Demons's Souls's - Pulled Flame Lurker once because hey I have lost all my shit anyway and I can get there easy.  Okay that is probably beatable, but I would like to get some more bits and pieces.  Hey the Talisman of God so I can start using Miracles is really early in 4-1 lets try that.

Things that are going to give me bruises and break a controller.
 - Absolutely retarded lock on ranges  that refuses to start when you can see the opponent a hundred billion miles away.
 - Dying because you get caught on geometry.
 - Lock on removing itself because I wanted to back out of range of the berserker skeleton that will run me down instantly.

This is all after I was going to praise the game on how nice and fair the camera controls actually feel during Flamelurker.

Fuck this game.

Edit - Worked out some basic fuckery to mess around with to handle some pulls.  Got Talisman.  Now can top up health between pulls.  The exact kind of generate play Dark Souls actively avoids.  Can still die because game decides to drop the lock on to Silver Skeletons though. 

Also lock on works fine for weird flying manta ray things.  They actively chose to give regular dudes shitty lock on ranges.

Fuck this game.

Soul Hackers - Crash Override's sister got her soul hacked by a dolphin from the internet.  I beat up a dolphin on the internet to get back her soul by overloading him with magic (it claims to like Magic attacks, but a kid in front of the painting the Dolphin was inside told me that if Dolphin's are as intelligent as people say then Dolphins mush lie and assassinated JFK)

I wish you were the primary antagonist Snappy, you were not used nearly enough.

I fucking love this game you guys.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:52:00 AM by Grefter »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: November 09, 2014, 07:29:54 AM »
Also lock on works fine for weird flying manta ray things.  They actively chose to give regular dudes shitty lock on ranges.

Aren't lock-on ranges just determined by what weapon you're using?
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:08 AM »
Wasteland 2: So I'm walking in the valley of the shadow of the mushroom cloud, and the local conflict is between a band of crazy, nuke-worshipping kamikaze monks and a gang of paramilitary creepazoids (who aren't actively crazy but who are also, you know, paramilitary creepazoids). I instantly dislike the monks because they casually inflict collateral damage on the people they're supposed to be protecting, indifferently extend their protection to bandits, and threaten to detonate an ICBM if anyone messes with them; the only good thing they have going for them is that they maintain a functional hospital. But, since I don't exactly have a good track record with outfits calling themselves the [color][animal]Militia, I decide initially that this last point seems to balance things out slightly in the monks' favor. I humor the monks' leader a bit by agreeing to track down and kill a rogue monk who found his own nuke and is trying to activate it for nefarious purposes, then move on to my actual goal on the other side of the valley. I don't formally pick sides just yet because I don't trust either of them and want to see exactly how much Brother Enola is lying to me before making a decision.

So we move on to Damonta, where I'm supposed to to mess with a radio tower so we can find the baddies' HQ. We have the misfortune to arrive in the middle of the robocalypse and our rescue efforts are, uh, a little mixed. I fail to save the water merchants or anyone in the water company building (and I'm curious to know what the deal with Sarah's pendant was now) because I'm distracted elsewhere saving the lesbians (duh). I do save the DJ. I save Red and later give him his share of the Sierra Madre gold (he was pretty helpful shooting down the robots in town). I fail to save Binh, but figure out the gimmick after the boss fight, reload and do it right. So in practice I think I only let like half the town die? As we'll see later, this is somewhat better than my average for this game.

I briefly have a sentient discoball in the party but it proves to possess a very poor sense of self-preservation. I do get a more permanent recruit out of this semi-debacle, though, because in a cage behind the boss is the 41st century definition of the word dictionary (is this a Legion of Super-Heroes reference or something?) He's got metal joints! Decent skill point accrual for a brawler! And he does as much damage with one punch as Takayuki could manage on crits (stabbing robots, how well does that normally work out, right?) He's also freaking Lex Luthor so this is a pretty winning package, the only thing I really have to give up in trading followers is reliable bomb-defusing skill. That's not something I'll need any time soon, right?

My local plot business done, I head north to invade the renegade monk's missile silo and immediately outside the front door is a huge minefield. ffffffffff But okay, this is salvageable, the team lead has enough minor demolitions talent to get us through with the magic of mashing F11. I march inside and unsurprisingly we were completely misled, he just wants to defuse the bomb before his crazy friends get a hold of it. But he isn't up to the task because that sort of heroic risk is entirely the preserve of playable characters. With our measely three ranks in demolition, can we neutralize a nuclear missile?

After exploding the world an embarrassing number of times, yes we can.

This is where it gets great (and later not so great) because the head monk was monitoring the status of the nuke from his own command center and all his flunkies got to witness me disable it in real time. "They killed a god! There is no god!" The transmission cuts off violently and I laugh all the way back to the valley. Then I stop laughing because the firefight following the collapse of authority indiscriminately cut down civilian, doctor, monk, raider scum, etcetera. Some of the militia's hanging around, and you'd think they'd be happy with me because the valley's theirs to tax now, but alas, they wanted it with, you know, actual living people to tax, and they go hostile the moment they see me.

Everybody in the valley is dead solely because I didn't want either party of wackjobs getting their hands on a nuclear missile.

Also I feel it my duty to disclose that the militia officer was carrying a dildo in her inventory at the time of her death. Did I mention this game has weird ideas of what constitutes loot.

The prison's between me and home after this and I have some unfinished business there*. Walk in and see the guards have restocked; the townspeople are not in evidence. Dead or enslaved, I'm sure. The sick woman who begged me to kill her last time and who I didn't because I wanted to try and find a cure is now definitely corpsified (really wondering if there was more to this that I didn't pick up on). The lone civilian I find tells me the militia captain has flown into an insane rage because someone deliberately infected his beloved dogs with plague and then told him we did it. We talk the survivor into admitting yeah, it was him, look here's the cure so maybe you can talk this guy down? I have no intention of even attempting the latter because the guy's a slaving sack of shit, but hey, I can save the dogs, right? I run the massive prison boss fight fight a couple times and just can't get Vax to survive. Goodbye robot buddy, you were very helpful when you weren't shooting me in the back and screaming KILL ALL HUMANS. Anyway, something good should come out of this other than the simple obliteration of awful people, so let's see to those dogs.

They go hostile almost immediately after receiving the cure. I'm not sure if it's because I killed their master or because I have a stunted green abomination toddling along at my side. They're dead in the end either way.

(*The prison turrets are such a mechanically ridiculous means of railroading, by the way. They have four thousand HP. The robot you can activate to suicide against them deals five thousand damage. Failing the demolitions check with the ICBM and detonating it deals only five hundred damage! It would take sixteen nuclear warheads to kill the Night Terror!)

Please let me know if there's some other way we can screw up today. Oh, what's that, Rail Nomad camp? I didn't finish that? Okay, let's see if I can break into the meeting hall this time. ...I can! But the MacGuffin has indeed vanished into the ether. There's no peaceful resolution available any longer. If the chiefs try and talk it out, it'll just descend into violence. I opt to prevent this by massacring Kekkabah and his one-armed bandits because he's the bigger bully. Imperfect solutions, etcetera. This looks like an exit for my team until I take a few steps away and it turns out all Kekkabah's townspeople psychically know he's dead and have gone hostile. They're trying to stab me now so I do the sensible thing and shoot them first. Then someone calls my boss. (He isn't happy.) Fine, fine! I'll stop murdering people and just run for the exit! I bypass the remaining townsfolk and individually move my entire seven-person team towards the exit across this huge and winding town in combat mode, only to be told that I can't exit the town in combat mode. Jesus fuckin' Christ. I reload and manage to sneak out with just one civilian casualty, but still, fuck this town forever.

I'm pretty sure that by now every town in the game has been left unintentionally decimated in my wake. It isn't always me doing the murdering, but results are the same, aren't they? I'm supposed to go to Los Angeles next so I can accidentally disrupt and demolish the social fabric of wholly new communities, but I've a fair amount of work to do on personal projects this week so I'll probably call this a good place to take a break.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 08:27:47 AM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: November 09, 2014, 10:00:55 PM »
Demons's Souls's - I poked around a bit and built up enough strength to use Composite Short Bow so I had a bow to take out dragon in 1-2.  Then found out I could have done it with Soul Arrow at start of the game.  Oh well, some Str lets me use a bigger shield I guess.  Also determined I put more points in faith than I need, might get to 24 so I can use Second Chance and either heal or evacuate.  Aaaaand turns out I have put way more headed into 4-1 than I thought there was.  That level is way short, like nearly a Dark Souls area length.  I obviously need to examine some of the other areas, but it could be that the game just is super rough on design instead of being deliberately shitty like it feels?  Am I assuming the same level of intentionality that Dark Souls seems to have where I could be assuming growing pains?

Regardless of having found a way to handle them I still think the 4-1 skeletons are unfair, their roll randomly makes spells miss and shit, they are just so inconsistent. 

Next thing on the to do list I suppose is to go back to 2-2 then kill Dragon God after clearing out Flamelurker.  Do whatever White world tendency thing I want to do and then suicide a bunch and get that talisman of the Beasts.

Contemplating item dupe tricks for spices and human form things just to compress time spent.

Soul Hackers - I am stuck doing a twitch based optional thing which is wrecking my Obsessive tendencies.  I should let it go because first person dungeon controls being twitch based is terrible, but it is for a Vit source which is so good.  Sources are crazy good in this game since it uses a lower stat scale than most modern SMT games.  You cap out at 40 in a stat and only gain 1 at level up, so +1 to a stat for free is amazing and Vitality is a gooooood stat in this game.