Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183539 times)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2225 on: October 03, 2014, 09:29:59 AM »
ArcheAge:  Trying this out.  I have created a mighty warrior named Adray who hurls firebolts at foes, then charges into them and destroys them with a nodachi.

Let me know how it is. I might also be interested in trying.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: October 03, 2014, 11:29:43 AM »
Eh pretty standard Asian mmo, the main draw is the very large crafting system.  And you build your own class - you start out with one skillset (sorcery, etc.), get another at level 5 and a third at level 10.  These 3 combined determine your class.

But there's a lot locked behind a paywall.  You can't have a house or a farm unless you're a subscriber, and there's more stuff you have to pay for besides that (notably inventory space).

But on the bright side, Adray is riding a Tauntaun.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: October 03, 2014, 11:51:56 PM »
Pokedudes - Black 2.  I had this sitting around unfinished with only 3 badges down.  It is possibly the best Dudes game ever thanks to that one town I just finished.  First of all the gym leader fucks around on a roller coaster just because.  Get to her there and she moves back to her Gym that is in the theme park.  It is a Catwalk where you walk down it to some Persona as fuck JPop.  There is a giant projected screen at the back of the stage that displays images of her at all times.

Beat her and he image changes to your PC and you parade down the catwalk with her and her flunkies in step.

Here is also a Ferris wheel that you can ride once you beat the guitarist standing in front of it.  While you ride it you get to read the lines of a Pokemon themed power ballad "My ghost-typed love!  You can't feel my Normal-type touch!"

Then when ou leave town you see a dude on a motorbike being swamped by a crowd.  Heartbreaker Charles teaches you Rotation Battles.

10/10 can't wait for Gen VI remake.

Forgot to mention that I definitely approve this and felt the same way when I played.

Half Minute Hero 2: You know how RPGs / anime love to have their lists of X major villains that get introduced at the same time? Like the 10 Wise Men in Star Ocean 2.
(Somehow this doesn't seem to be on TV Tropes)

Anyway Half Minute Hero 2 LOVES this. It's amazing. There are a whole bunch of sets of bad guys.

They all:
- Have some super detailed (though strangely low res) artwork in the gallery
- Get like 7-9 lines in game, max
- Die the same way, getting unceremoniously run over by the allmighty protagonist

Artwork on each boss set was given to a different character designer, so you get a lot of variety.
First you fight the Eight Elements. This earth t-rex is one of them.
Then the Four Ultimate Kings (meh)
Then the Seven Grimoires, which can get pretty fucking metal
You could add the Three Generals there too? They do get a bit more plot than the others though.
Anyway, then there are the art nouveau God Nine
Then the anime Venus Seven. I picked one of the least anime ones.
I'm not done with this game yet (though near the end), I'm hoping for EVEN MORE.

I like the God Nine and the Grimoires the most. My favourite has to be this guy, the mimic-Moscow, who also was pretty much the most difficult boss so far.

I don't know whether the game should be described as very generous or just completely wasteful.
Edit: I forgot the Ten Evil Lord Weapons!! But only three of them have art :(

Nuclear Throne: Beat with Robot. Aww yeah
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 12:56:33 AM by Fenrir »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: October 04, 2014, 02:33:38 PM »
Gender Equality Bros:  So who knew Japan would be the one to finally get it right?  Lots of female characters, lots of characters that can be *either* gender, and you can still be PacMAN or Mega MAN if your testosterone levels are called into question.

Thoughts on some new characters:

Rosalina has good moves but her final smash is terribly weak.  Anyone who dies to that deserves to lose.

Pit might as well be a new character, he's totally different.  Not bad overall but Power of Flight is horrible compared to his old flight.

Palutena I couldn't get the hang of.  I probably don't understand how Autoreticle works.  Might be better after I see a guide or something.

Little Mac is pretty good overall.  My son's favorite character.

Robin felt weak overall.  Not enough punch, and final smash is weak also.

Wii Fit Trainer is awesome, may end up as my new main.  Down B is like having a built-in final smash if you can pull it off.

Pac-Man is pretty good.  Gotta be careful with the hydrant cause you can launch yourself off the stage pretty easily.

Greninja seems pretty good, I like the wall cling.

And I'm probably forgetting about 20 other characters.

The Kid Icarus Uprising influence is strong, wouldn't be surprised if the same crew worked on both games.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: October 04, 2014, 08:53:02 PM »
Hyrule Warriors - Just got Agitha, next is Zant presumably? Just piddling around in Adventure Mode, having a good time. Played some multiplayer with Excal by using the Gamepad and the TV. It works pretty well, although made showing off the different characters harder than if it were splitscreen.

Curtain Call - Mostly just doing odds and ends now of games I like the music from. Downloaded a couple of new songs this week; Vivi's Theme and Ovelia's Theme.

Smash 3DS - Well, this is about the first fighting game I've ever played near its release date for more than like 30 minutes, so hopefully I can learn how to play it adequately. I've been using primarily Lucina, Palutena, and Dedede.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: October 05, 2014, 01:22:49 AM »
Megami Tensei 1: How nice of you guys to set up shops in the Sea of Flames. I thought the whole 'The entire place is burning" thing would be a deterrent, guess not. I did buy all your Orihalcum stuff for 50000 demonbucks.
Magic restoration items are now available! Everything would be easy except I now run out of MAG, the money demons eat to stay in ther party. DAMN IT GAME
I found that keeping 2 super strong demons instead of 4 average ones works much better for the same MAG cost, so. I have a Ganesha and an Odin, and they rock.

Edit: The final dungeon is the worst dungeon in the history of Megaten, seriously

Half Minute Hero 2: Finished, everything except the DLC done, etc. I liked the way there's this Cave of Ordeals like dungeon at the end where my global level shot from 20ish to 100+, THEN there's a super special mission just for this. Only in this mission did I manage to get rid of my debt collector by killing it. (Worth trying, Argentina?)

There were no other real sets of bosses, but they were sets of 10ish angels / mecha-angels that looked the same but with different weapons, so that's something.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2014, 01:29:50 AM by Fenrir »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: October 05, 2014, 01:26:55 AM »
Harmony of Despair- Played this today. Got a double gods garb. Quit in disgust. HoD in a nutshell, there.

Defense Grid 2- 7 missions in. My laptop can't play this so I'm using someone else's computer to play through. There's a lot of love and effort put in but it man is the plot stuff awfully more... there than DG1. Lot of voices is distracting. Gameplay is Defense Grid and thus a ton of fun. It's got tweaks on the old game but it's still the same system. Scoring is the biggest change but I haven't had too many issues gold medaling any mission so far.

Dark Souls 2- Well, more watching than playing. I actually fell asleep watching this. Pretty game and some of the PVP stuff is hilarious but it seems to put me to sleep for some reason.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2232 on: October 05, 2014, 08:13:06 AM »
Has anyone tried out Pier Solar? It's that game that someone made for the Sega Genesis in 2013. It looks charmingly retro and I heard generally good things about it, but I was wondering if any DLers were gonna pick it up.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2233 on: October 05, 2014, 08:17:42 AM »
I'm interested but would prefer to pick it up on the WiiU among available systems, so looks like there's a wait there yet.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: October 05, 2014, 10:08:48 PM »
DS2: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck

So yeah, fuck Iron Passage, probably the worst place in the entire game

i was wrong

who could've guessed reindeer would be the most aggravating Souls enemy ever

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2235 on: October 05, 2014, 11:56:25 PM »
Remember that Cat is the hardest enemy in Dark Souls 1.

Megami Tensei 1: Finished! The final dungeon was less difficult than I thought. I thought you had to go through teleporters (that are never shown on the mini map) to finish the game but that's not the case.
Turns out I skipped a few bosses and events, and I never even met the goddess that was resurrected / I was supposed to resurrect. (The title "Megami Tensei" meaning Resurrection of the Goddess) This could have given me some fire protection for the Sea of Flames!

So yeah, that's like playing Sword of Vermilion, never getting the Sword of Vermilion and just beating the final boss with the Axe of Yellowish Brown instead.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: October 06, 2014, 12:06:23 AM »
Niu wants a hug

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: October 06, 2014, 02:34:36 AM »

Megami Tensei 1: Finished! The final dungeon was less difficult than I thought. I thought you had to go through teleporters (that are never shown on the mini map) to finish the game but that's not the case.
Turns out I skipped a few bosses and events, and I never even met the goddess that was resurrected / I was supposed to resurrect. (The title "Megami Tensei" meaning Resurrection of the Goddess) This could have given me some fire protection for the Sea of Flames!

So yeah, that's like playing Sword of Vermilion, never getting the Sword of Vermilion and just beating the final boss with the Axe of Yellowish Brown instead.
I got every reference in this post and now we are going to hug.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: October 06, 2014, 05:20:59 AM »
South Park: Stick of Truth: Everything this game says about Canada is 100% correct
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: October 06, 2014, 05:32:22 AM »
Oh good we finally got one of the Canadians to play that.

I got every reference in this post and now we are going to hug.

I didn't and feel left out.  please love me
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: October 06, 2014, 08:15:37 AM »
Bravely Default: The C8 refight slog continues.  Third time's the charm for these folks?  Or maybe more like 7th time?

Jeanne d'Arc: Okay, I admit it, I'll play even bad SRPGs, because the SRPG is basically the pinnacle of gaming.  Quit in disgust by early Chapter 2 ages ago, giving it another shot since a few months ago.  Plot & script is still mostly awful, except, strangely enough, the love triangle, which is written well enough.  System is mostly fine, but let me whine about the cause of a recent battle loss, and the cause of a near-miss awhile back.  JDA battles have a turn limit, which is fine, it encourages aggressive play and reduces some of the issues with a MP & transformation point gain-per-turn system.  Don't encourage sitting around waiting for transforms to turn on, good, yay.  There's ALSO some good FFT-ish AI that wounded enemies will sometimes run away to the backlines, especially if they have healing, heal themselves up, then return to the fight afterward.  ...you see the problem?  Yeah, there isn't a "surrender / enemy fled permanently" trigger for such enemies.  So you can clean up all the enemies, then spend the rest of your turns futilely chasing the lone surviving healer around the map, then lose because that 1 dude kept running & healing and your mob of 6 characters are clearly doomed by said healing.   GRAHHH.  (The C3 mission with Richard & Slinker, for those that played the game.  After lovelingly murdering the entire map with plenty of time left, too...  sigh...)

Child of Light: Finished.  It's really good!  Not a lot to say.  Beautiful art & animation, fantastic music, and excellent gameplay.  Go play it yourself.

Okay, I guess I will say a little more.  There's an old saw that it's better to end early and leave your audience wanting more than to drag things out and have your audience wondering 'when will it end?'  Well, CoL is definitely the former, taunting players like me with sequel possibilities and some hanging plot threads, and being a little TOO short in its gameplay.  Oh well!

Other semi-connected thoughts:
* A game designer mentioned Grandia II among their top 5 favorite RPGs (along with the usual suspects in Chrono Trigger / FF6 / FF7).  I'm shocked, simply shocked.
* But this game is better than G2, because everything is sculpted around making you care about and manipulate the turn gauge.  At least on Expert.  Lots of the other usual RPG features are either absent or heavily nerfed (fight-winning status, defensive & offensive buffs), but speed manipulation features heavily - do you want little damage fast or huge damage slowly that might be interrupted?  Or do you need to just admit defeat and defend to cut your losses?  In something like Grandia 3, where you have 4 allies and 4 enemies, it doesn't really pay to try and think through the flow TOO carefully, you're more just sniping targets of opportunity with cancels & defends when turns come up.  CoL gives me good threats, but then gives me the tools to deal with it - Igniculus is a fantastic idea, it's great that I can do key slowdowns of enemies to sneak out slow abilities or get off cancels, and it's equally key I can screw up with Iggy and slow an enemy it's actually *bad* to slow.  Just 2 characters keeps things comprehensible too.  You *can* get stunlocked and die horribly if you aren't careful, but you can feel like a badass and perfect minibosses if you do everything right.  Sweet.
* On that note, I looked at a few YT vids for sanity checks when writing up the boss stats in the stat topic.  Lots of people are *awful* at these systems.  I've long thought that the designers balanced G1/G2 on the easy side due to how swingy such systems can be; I can totally see why CoL needs a casual mode.  (Players using skills they didn't particularly level with their build, players #YOLOing slow charge abilities into enemy turns and not even bothering to Iggy, people noting how they had to spam revive items against bosses, etc.)
* I already said the music was fantastic, but to add on that, something I expect out of video game music is 'excitement' / event tracks - which is fine.  Stuff like Uematsu's boss themes.  It's usually what your average VG soundtrack does well.  CoL, instead, sells *drama* amazingly well, which is much rarer.  Which is kinda weird!  If you told me "fairy tale game" I'd assume the composer would write a bunch of saccharine feel-good tracks, but no, the tragedy / somberness is strong here.  Aurora's Theme is fantastic and gets referenced a bunch, so good times.
* Speaking in verse was weird and definitely something you can only get away with in a short game, but sure it's something different so whynot.  Best line, a rather silly joke but I liked it anyway: [What lurks in this box] inside?  Homicide!  (For a monster-in-a-box, of course.)
* Random rambling: What's the minimum party to complete the game?  I *think* that Robert & Norah are the only required recruits, and I'm not even sure about Robert, so I wonder if the dialogue toward the very end changes at all.

Vague spoiler zone:
* The game could definitely have used an extra final dungeon.  Which the game's staff confirmed was intended, as is really obvious - flying ruined castle in the sky?  I'm there - but wasn't included for development time reasons. 

* The game did a pretty good of selling some absolutely magical moments....  while not (usually) detracting from the gravity of the game world or the setting.  Like, "surprise this key plot element is resolved by deus ex machina" is lame (albeit common in real fairy tales) and detracts from the importance of what you're trying to do.  But 'surprise you are now more awesome' is fine, as was completely audacious problems and goals ('sup, the stars & sun & moon are missing, you're on the case).  In particular...  the part at the altar where suddenly, you can fly, because, was *great*.  I'd forgotten from the ancient previews you even could, and they even force you to do an annoying block-pushing puzzle first, and now you're free!  A+.  Aurora's aging after defeating the key bosses was neat too and could easily have played for some pretentious symbolism about kids secretly growing up fast when their parents don't notice, although they don't really do that.  It was cool anyway, though, and felt like it fit much better here than say what would have happened had this game been made by Japanese rather than Canadians.  (The Japanese version would have sexualized this kind of thing way more.)

* The Confessions & backstory were really cool...  after you've heard the dialogue from the very end of the game to have a clue WTF was going on.  [They appeared to be incomprehensible ramblings before.]  I get that there's a certain appeal to optional backstory digging that casual players can skip and careful readers can feel like an intellectual badass for puzzling out, but I'd have been happier with putting some of this plotline more front & center, so you can appreciate what the statues are, the names of the places, etc. earlier rather than in retrospect.  I suppose I'll have to wait for the sequel.

Definite spoiler zone:
* The flood threat didn't really do it for me.  I guess the timelines don't have to match up perfectly between Lemuria & Europe, but I'd kind of assumed they *would* from the backstory, and a flooding threat would be something that would happen over the course of hours, not the days or weeks the adventure takes place over (never mind Aurora's aging, interpret that as you will).  Did they build this castle & town at the bottom of a dry lake or something?
* I suppose I can guess why the Duke married Umbra (loneliness), but why'd Umbra want to marry the duke?  To get access to kill Aurora?  She was already able to kill Aurora's mom without need for that...  for that matter why'd she want to kill the Duke, as well?  She surely doesn't care about inheritance of wealth or titles back in Europe...
* I think the scriptwriter like Harry Potter with the bit about Aurora's crown & the altar.
* I was kind of surprised Umbra was willing to offer Aurora, whom she killed twice, to be her heir since she's noticed her own daughters are dead.  Guess she really is a zealot for "an Explorer's heir must rule?"  Maybe there'll be more in the sequel when we find out what exactly was going on with the Rift, the Hollow Pact, and what exactly Umbra's mother's crimes were.
* Umbra also kinda has a point in that the Explorer's line clearly has vast magic beyond the rest of the Lemurians.  Doesn't justify being a dick like Umbra, of course.  While Aurora & her mother might be champions of the Lemurian people, they definitely are not *of* them, what with the ability to cheat death and the like while the Lemurians suffer normally.
* On that note..  I thought that Aurora reporting Gen's parents death to her was a wonderful and heartbreaking scene, well done.  It makes the game world richer to see that not every magical problem is resolved with a handy magical undo button, like the Populi village had.  The death of Aurora's father was also fair enough - clearly the scriptwriter was also sick of heroes offering to sacrifice the world for one person's life.  However...  Aurora's mother is a stranger case.  She appears so late it's hard to say what is really going on, and perhaps she was just a spirit / apparition a la Igniculus which would be fine...  she's a character most effective dramatically when her death is irreversible.  And it'd strain credulity to imagine why she'd want to fake her death and cause so much pain to her family.  It was nice to see her again to see the obvious comparison between the mother & daughter at least, but that'd have been fine with her as a spirit.  Oh well.  If she really is still alive, that crosses a little too far into "plot undercutting deus ex machina" territory for me; you want it to be true, but it can't actually be true.

oh hey look I stayed up until 3 AM when I have to get up early rambling about this game to say "a little more."  Must have been good.  Maybe I'll grab the DLC quest just to support it some.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: October 06, 2014, 08:28:27 PM »
It was pretty basic Gref nothing fancy. Helping the goddess in MT makes you immune to the constant fire damage from the building-on-fire dungeon. In the Genesis game Sword of Vermilion you eventually get the Sword of Vermilion and it is the best weapon. Also vermilion is a color.

Play more terrible games Grefter?
Incidentally I just learned from Megami Tensei 2 that: If You Get Levels In Video Games, You Get Levels In Real Life.
= Duck and I are gods of destruction
« Last Edit: October 06, 2014, 08:33:00 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: October 06, 2014, 08:35:47 PM »
Igniculus is a fantastic idea, it's great that I can do key slowdowns of enemies to sneak out slow abilities or get off cancels, and it's equally key I can screw up with Iggy and slow an enemy it's actually *bad* to slow.

Yeah, it's pretty neat that slowdown really is a thing you need to use tactically and can punish yourself with for using too judiciously, I.E. by slowing down an enemy so much that your next hit on them winds up missing the cancel stage and thus subjecting you to attacks you could've voided if you'd been more careful.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: October 06, 2014, 08:38:43 PM »
Gref and Fen have you guys played Deadly Premonition

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: October 06, 2014, 08:51:04 PM »
Smash 3DS: Been playing this, stopped playing Chibis as a result, I'm a bad person.  Anyway, beat  Classic Mode with at least one character from each multirepped franchise and a few extras along the way, just missing 4 characters to unlock, and beat All-Star Mode on Normal with Ike. 

Game gets easier once you get use to the controls, and compared to the Demo, it has the distinct advantage of being able to swap the shoulder buttons.  You'd be surprised how significant that minor change is.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: October 06, 2014, 08:54:29 PM »
No.
I did think I might have made an accidental reference to a game I hadn't played there, the way you said that.
Go me.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: October 06, 2014, 09:06:55 PM »
I haven't, but know enough about it to have opted out of many hours if terrible to get short bursts of brilliance.  I also don't have time to watch Twin Peaks and pay more attention again.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: October 06, 2014, 09:45:15 PM »
Luckily for you, there will be new Twin Peaks to watch soon!

Deadly Premonition may work by watching a Let's Play, but that doesn't give you a great idea of how clunky its mechanics are and you may miss out on some of the weirder shit that goes on. I can't tell whether it's shit or great shit.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: October 06, 2014, 09:47:07 PM »
I wanted to play it, but then I read that it was basically one of the worst games re: Women in videogames, with some terrible unsubtle metaphors.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: October 06, 2014, 10:26:08 PM »
Specifically the villain metaphor-rapes women.
Then these rape victims want, and get honor killings. And the whole "honor killings impure rape victims" is not shown as being terrible.

Also there's a crazy evil trans.

As I understood it.
So yeah. Pretty bad.