Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183619 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2100 on: September 12, 2014, 04:30:08 AM »
Kirby Squeak Squad: I beat the Red Mage Rat who is the leader of the other rats, and then Meta Knight steals Kirby's cake, and seals it behind a door.

...Kirby's cake is somehow key to unleashing the latest Cosmic Horror, isn't it?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: September 12, 2014, 05:58:30 AM »
Otter officially better than me at all video games again.  It was good while it lasted.  Maybe I should play an hour of some platformer that is only available in early access so I can make outrageous claims of superiority for 30 seconds.

I am still in Blighttown because I decided that poop is my weapon of choice so Large Club was preferable to Great Club.  Bit of grind to get it to drop.  Went back to kill Stray Demon and Black Knights in Asylum.  Got Knigts dead, have Demon worked out and should have killed him, but went in aggressively for the kill and got sat on when I needed one more hit to kill him (bad play is bad).  Went in again and just ran down the hole.  Hollows follow me down.  Sigh.  Figures I would just get my souls back and eat a wipe.  I died up the butthole of fucking middle of nowhere in the room last time.  Tanked before I could get souls.  I was only like 4k souls and a humanity, so nothing to tear up over, by it did signal me to go mehhhhhh let's play some Suiko Dan instead.  Zwei and Large Club are +6, bit sure if want to swap the Zwei to fire or Lightning.  Club gonna be Divine.  Fire Zwei and skipping Lightning elemental coverage frees up Titanite for armour I guess?  This was the thing I was juggling cost:benefit most before I started and it has solidified a bit but it is still the thing I bounce around on the most at least in practice I don't mind the trap of spending Slabs on something with a bad move set isn't nearly as much of a thing as what I built up in my head.  You should know the move set well before you touch slabs.  Boss Soul weapons on the other hand are a bit looser.  I shudder to think of how disappointed someone that turned their +10 Zwei into Cursed Greatsword of Artorias must feel if they don't like the moves (let alone... Everything else wrong with those swords).  I suppose they are somewhat mitigated by Demon Titanite being one of the more farmable resources, but daaaaaamn there is some popular once off items in the game that noobs might eat wih boss souls.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: September 12, 2014, 09:36:22 AM »
Are you even getting Faith, Grefter? Divine sucks without faith...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: September 12, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »
I mean my basic Club, not Large/Great club as divine.  It gives me a light weapon swap to keep Skeletons dead at the cost of some Green Shards competing with fire upgrade path and 2000 souls.  The opportunity cost of building it up is pretty low.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: September 12, 2014, 03:56:32 PM »
keeping skellies dead overrated just run and gun it #yolocatacombs
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: September 12, 2014, 04:53:04 PM »
Jim's right. Keeping skellies dead is the stupid way to play that dungeon.  Moreover, you're being a fuckin' idiot. You get an occult club for free in Anor Londo and can downgrade that to Divine+5.  That's the only reason that is even a strategy at all. Don't waste materials building up a club to Divine +1 only to make all of that even harder than it already fuckin' is.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 04:54:43 PM by Makkotah »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: September 12, 2014, 06:10:52 PM »
You're allowed to keep them dead by kicking them into pits but that's it.

Really glad you're all enjoying the massive clubs.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2107 on: September 12, 2014, 07:44:10 PM »
Club Souls: rolled credits on this by continuing to mimic dungeon skips from speedruns.  Nito killed me about five times before Andrew mentioned that I should let him walk up to me so I wouldn't have giant skellingtons in my grill.  I didn't want to use anything ranged on Bed of Chaos and the speedrun didn't show me the melee way, so I decided to do that by trial and error; I died at least ten times and could probably do the run-up through Lost Izalith with my eyes closed now.  Four Kings didn't get to team up on me because Great Club +15 and I was so tanky by the time I got to Seath that I could pretty much run up behind him and start flailing around and he died first.

Gwyn took a couple tries, I wasn't prepared for how relentless his combos can be when he backs you up against a wall.  Other enemies in the game kinda train you that you'll be okay if you block through the combo and then roll away and heal whereas Gwyn just keeps going.  I wasn't confident parrying so the basic strategy was to bait a grab attempt, punish with a jumping attack, and then run away like a little girl and try to interpose a pillar so I could heal up.  After three jumping attacks landed I just started in with normal attacks to finish him.

So apparently there's a sort of NG+ but I'd rather start over and not skip dungeons, maybe do the saving Solaire thing, go see Priscilla, do the DLC, all that stuff.  Not sure yet what I'm gonna build because I don't know what could be more fun than the club was.  Big slow two-handed weapon was a really enjoyable style, maybe I'll go for a halberd or something.  I could also try and see what the deal is with Faith, maybe do some miracles and rock a divine weapon.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: September 12, 2014, 08:51:26 PM »
Divine weapons are perfectly functional for a dedicated caster. Take minimal physical requirements for the weapon and dump everything else into faith (bonus: you can permakill skellies without gimping yourself) and they're passable enough for standard melee offense. No other build should ever use them outside of the catacombs.

I loved running a cleric in DS1 just because I don't think there's anything in the game more stylish than chucking giant fucking lightning bolts at people. Your firepower is kinda limited, compared to a sorcerer* getting a billion shots of basic spells from gamestart, but you can get some pretty outstanding power per shot. Personal favorite build for the game was probably DEX weapons + weapon enchants. Pushing 700 attack power on a light weapon is amazing times. Took some of the cheese out of sorcery by just sticking to buffs and utility spells (it is basically just a different flavor of cheese though).

(*In answer to your earlier point: no, sorcery never really stops being ridiculous. In fact, if you stopped at Anor Londo and didn't hit the DLC, you didn't even see the worst of it. Sorc is easymode.)
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 08:56:11 PM by El Cideon »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: September 12, 2014, 10:24:03 PM »
So I could upgrade a Club that I used at the start of the game that was +5 with a single Green chunk to get it to Divine and do an area early (noting that I was really thinking for stuff I might encounter in Tomb, but whatever) or I could wait until an area I haven't been to yet to find a club I haven't found yet in a game that even with maps and shit I have still pretty consistently missed stuff?

The thing I have now is the known answer to problems I have and have had and may have again.  The nebulous thing I might find in the future is less tangible.  I will play super optimised next time I roll up on the game.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: September 12, 2014, 10:50:55 PM »
Otter: For other builds... Great clubs are best honestly.

You can try regular greatswords, with are slow with 360° regular attacks.
Halberds are fast and damaging when they hit, but they punish you a lot for missing.
Whips / fist weapons are fun and really bad. You might want to wait until playing Dark Souls 2 to try them out, because not doing damage gets annoying.

Miracles can kinda help first time through but afterwards... I'm not crazy about them. You don't care about healing, magic protection, Force, shit like Karmic Justice. Pyromancy is fun if you like fireballs, without being completely broken like sorcery.

Obligatory Channeler's Trident mention.

Nuclear Throne: Got up to 6-1 once! Died immediately.

Otter

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: September 12, 2014, 11:49:04 PM »
Dark Souls: started over and did more speedstrats to get the Great Scythe immediately.  When I clear out the church and go to release Lautrec, I find he's gone already.  I get back to Firelink and Anastacia's dead.  What.  How did this happen.

Anyway since the Great Scythe scales with dex and that helps you cast faster too, I guess I'll minor in pyromancy this time around.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: September 13, 2014, 05:12:21 AM »
Divine weapons are perfectly functional for a dedicated caster. Take minimal physical requirements for the weapon and dump everything else into faith (bonus: you can permakill skellies without gimping yourself) and they're passable enough for standard melee offense. No other build should ever use them outside of the catacombs.

I loved running a cleric in DS1 just because I don't think there's anything in the game more stylish than chucking giant fucking lightning bolts at people. Your firepower is kinda limited, compared to a sorcerer* getting a billion shots of basic spells from gamestart, but you can get some pretty outstanding power per shot. Personal favorite build for the game was probably DEX weapons + weapon enchants. Pushing 700 attack power on a light weapon is amazing times. Took some of the cheese out of sorcery by just sticking to buffs and utility spells (it is basically just a different flavor of cheese though).

(*In answer to your earlier point: no, sorcery never really stops being ridiculous. In fact, if you stopped at Anor Londo and didn't hit the DLC, you didn't even see the worst of it. Sorc is easymode.)

While I agree that Sorc is Easymode, it does have some difficult parts. Generally, I found that everything that was hard as a pyro is dead easy as a sorc, but some things that were easy for Pyro were really hard for Sorc. Granted, this is part because I was using the Estoc, but still.  Just could not get enough damage done to Orstein and Smaugh without running out of charges, and ended up ragequitting that run.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: September 13, 2014, 01:31:43 PM »
Kirby Squeak Squad: Finish.  It's a Kirby game, not much else to say.  Something mundane happens, Kirby goes on a quest to solve it, beats up DeDeDe, Meta Knight, and a Cosmic Horror along the way.  You know the drill.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: September 13, 2014, 02:03:21 PM »
Dark Souls: started over and did more speedstrats to get the Great Scythe immediately.  When I clear out the church and go to release Lautrec, I find he's gone already.  I get back to Firelink and Anastacia's dead.  What.  How did this happen.

Anyway since the Great Scythe scales with dex and that helps you cast faster too, I guess I'll minor in pyromancy this time around.

I'm pretty sure if you get 3 Firekeeper Souls, Lautrec will kill Anastasia whether you've seen him or not.  It might just be the soul in Blight Town though.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: September 13, 2014, 04:00:39 PM »
Things I have read say either Blight Town and Parish souls or the two bells, whichever you do first.

Dark Souls - Got through Sen's.  Died more times on Golem than I want to admit given I was just hiding behind Tarkus.  Killed the two Gargoyles in Anor Londo and decided I wanted to go back and get more fire stuff with all those souls I had floating around still after 2 level ups.

Pyro hand at level 11, bought all of Quelana's pyromancies after force feeding all those stray non-boss souls I had lying around.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: September 13, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Halberds are fast and damaging when they hit, but they punish you a lot for missing.

Except the Halberd, which says it punishes you for missing, but has a short recovery anyway.  I always end up using it.

Also to elaborate a bit more on the catacombs, skeleton resurrection really isn't a big problem as long as you have the damage to quickly dispatch them, which is a big issue for someone who wanders into the catacombs swingin a sward.  The important part about using a divine club isn't the divine part, it's the club part.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 05:10:11 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: September 13, 2014, 07:33:09 PM »
I thought halberds were great myself; you shouldn't be missing much anyway. The slower weapons I found unbearably slow, and most other things just did considerably less damage. (Didn't explore magic or ranged weapons.)

Phantasy Star 4 - Replaying this, just got Wren and Raja. Nothing special to the replay (the LLG run I did a few years back was more than enough), just enjoying a breezy playthrough. The pacing of this game remains great, and I appreciate that all the more after experiences with Xenoblade, Lightning Returns, etc., recently.

Lightning Returns - Speaking of which... have now wrapped up the main plot quests in three of the four available towns. I'm enjoying this well enough though I feel like I've accomplished relatively little seeing as I've been playing it for more than 20 hours now. The game can probably be streamlined but I'm reluctant to do so on a first playthrough; the sidequests are just fun/rewarding enough to do and I'm a bit terrified at letting myself get underlevelled in a game like this if I don't.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: September 14, 2014, 12:43:30 AM »
I am finding I like the heavy weapons because the let you control range well, which seems to be a big key to combat, but they also make combat very short and sharp, so less chances to fuck up (Two hit killing Snakemen for example).

I am a little torn on weapon choices.  Large Club is great and I have my Fire Zwei now, but I got Man-serpent Greatsword as a drop from first snakeguy I killed so using one of the chase rates is tempting and the Butcher Knife looks really nice too... 

Speaking of chase rares, went to kill the last Titanite Demon I had left in the Fortress on my run through to go back and buy some stuff before hitting Anor Londo deeper.  Got the Titanite Catchpole, so if anyone wants one for a funky build sometime can try this trade thing out.

Edit - Also meant to comment on that even though I have heard that enemy design in Dark Souls isn't scared to be goofy as fuck, while Basilisks are goofy as shit, I was prepared for them.  Opening up Sen's I knew there was Snake Men, but I had in my head something like from X-Com, not regular dudes with giant snake heads.  Had to make sure to kill them before laughing.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 12:46:18 AM by Grefter »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: September 14, 2014, 05:50:53 AM »
Dank Souls - I accidentally set Sigmeyer on fire and now he mad.  I got up to O&S, walked into the room and died pretty much instantly.  Okay.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: September 14, 2014, 06:05:51 AM »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: September 14, 2014, 12:11:41 PM »
Grefter: having Oswald (priest in tower after gargoyles) absolve your sins should reset Siegmeier back to non-hostile (assuming you didn't outright kill him).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: September 14, 2014, 12:53:34 PM »
I plan to reset him, I just need to kill a stupid boss so I can start teleporting again.  He likes to body pull through the roof on the way to said boss (Unless I hug the right wall).  I am not sure what impact summoning will have on that as well.  So guess I see how Solaire responds next time I feel like playing.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: September 14, 2014, 01:06:40 PM »
Broken Sword 4: The Angel Of Death - played through

I had somehow gotten the impression that the game was going to be terrible, but it wasn't anything like that bad. Possibly the most aggravating thing was that there didn't seem to be a hotspot highlighting function, I was held up several times due to having missed a small or indistinct item. In addition, not everything that ought to have been a hotspot was actually considered a hotspot by the interface.

For example, near the start of the game you're on a fire escape and need to go up a level which is only accessible by a ladder, but clicking on the upper level does nothing, and manually walking into the ladder does nothing either. The regular 'cold' cursor is still used when you mouse over the ladder, but you need to click on it to actually get on it anyway. Not too much of a problem once you know that it's necessary, but I was stuck on that section longer than I would have preferred (and ended up making several trips back and forth along an annoyingly slow wall-hugging section assuming that I must have missed something somewhere).

There's also some fairly dumb interactions required throughout the game. One of the most striking is early on, when you're trying to escape a building which is falling to pieces with Anna-Maria, after you've become separated and need to provide her a path to your area. You do this by knocking a brick wall down over the gap. That's certainly unlikely to have any detrimental effects!

The game also became unresponsive several times during the Phoenix segment, requiring a reload each time, which was disappointing (especially the first time as my most recent save at that point was essentially at the start of the segment). Didn't happen anywhere else.

Finally, the ending of the game seems thoroughly incomplete. To set the scene, Nico is chained to the Ark to be used as a sacrifice, with her life energy/soul/whatever being sucked into a void above it. You've smashed one of the two statuettes on the Ark, which didn't seem to affect it. Mevlut is in the doorway to the room threatening to shoot you if you do any more damage, and Anna-Maria is standing between the two of you threatening to shoot him. The priesthood who are running the Ark are just standing around and seemingly don't care that you damaged it.

Now, you smash the other statuette, which also doesn't seem to affect the Ark. Mevlut goes to shoot you but it is shot by Anna-Maria. One of the priests, for some reason (trying to stop you from doing any more damage?), jumps over the Ark and is sucked into the void, at which point the Ark shuts down. (Unclear whether this is something it was going to do anyway due to the damage or if it was because it can only run on women, which was something that had been brought up earlier.) Nico's chains disconnect from the Ark for no apparent reason, Anna-Maria turns out to have been shot by Mevlut and dies! Roll credits!

When the game wasn't being stupid it was generally fine! Just it was stupid a bit too often, especially now that I'm casting my mind back over earlier segments.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: September 14, 2014, 09:05:11 PM »
Tales of Xillia 2 - Unsealed cameo weapons for Leia (Bestower of Graces), Rowen (Light of Symphonia), Alvin (Shining Legendia, Tempest Unbound), Muzet (Paragon of Xilla), Elize (Abyssal Ruin) and Ludger (Ardent Vesperia), just Gaius, Jude and Milla to do. Decided everyone would get at least one cameo ultimate and then Alvin somehow ended up with two. Not too fussed on where I go from here, might try to get at least Gaius sorted since he's kind of been part of my main team when I'm not using Ludger otherwise I want to beat the rest of the EX Elite monsters and EX dungeon, then get the rest of the devil fell arms from the arena, and stuff so Jude and Milla will be depending~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"