Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183916 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1125 on: April 26, 2014, 10:58:53 AM »
New patch? Okay. Change notes say something along the lines of "users can enter the Shrine of Winter." Whuzzuh? We could always do that. I have no idea what this means.

Forgot to mention I was finally lucky enough to get Rowena's awesome skull hat to drop. Yes! But PUGILISM SOULS is too stupid to wear it. :(

That dropped for Prettygirl too.  Bloody hilarious.

Also I got two Channeler's Tridents from crow roulette, Old Whip and a Demon's Great Hammer.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1126 on: April 26, 2014, 01:16:18 PM »
Thanks Fudo.

Looks like I'm going for the hex hood, penal gloves, lion mage rest. Black With Hat sounds reaaaally nice though.
Boosting Int or Faith by 5 might actually be a good idea since pyromancy might actually get some huge bonus from it?

I barely survived some of the Throne bosses hits even with a Life Ring + Defense Ring. But I might try fighting them in full glass cannon mode; with the northern and red tearstone rings.
Is there any safe way to reduce your own HPs in DS2 to proc the Red Tearstone Ring effect, available around the throne room?

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1127 on: April 26, 2014, 05:17:32 PM »
I don't know of any convenient HP-draining equips like the mimic hat in DS1. Unless there is such a thing, the best I can think of is to toss some dung pies until you're poisoned and eat a lifegem at low HP to try and balance it out just right.

What pyromancy are you using? Flame Swathe is pretty squarely best per-hit you're going to get with no investment in stats. You only get two shots and it's easily dodged by enemies, but if you can nab both of them at once, that's most of the fight right there. (Fire Tempest would probably flat out murder them, but good luck getting that off without getting stabbed.)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1128 on: April 26, 2014, 05:49:12 PM »
Bravely Default - So Tiz has gone from dirty thief to dirty capitalist (not that I am sure what the difference is here) to fucking furry and now he has reached the pinnacle of being a fabulous rock star~ The Automotons are the latest boss who can fuck themselves in the eye. Had to grind to get Dispel. :(
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1129 on: April 26, 2014, 07:19:21 PM »
I only ever use Immolation El Cid.

Actually I've been using Fire Tempest and it's pretty good. Otherwise I use Flame Swathe, but actually hitting them is tricky.
Lingering Flame would be good but it takes ages to cast.

I should try to get Forbidden Sun. Dubstep Dark Souls 2 videos tell me it's pretty good. (Edit: 3 spell slots??)
Also Chaos Storm obviously.

But I just had a run where I killed Watcher and Defender revived him. I was heartbroken.

Edit2: OH SHIT CHAOS STORM. I won the throne fight on the first try since I got it.
It went:

- CHAOS STORM, both enemies at half HP
- Roll roll roll, estus, roll roll, CHAOS STORM. Defender dead, Watcher with only a little health left.
- Roll roll estus.
- The equivalent of the "Well what is it!?" gesture
- Watcher tries to resurrect Defender, gets maced two times.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 07:59:15 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1130 on: April 26, 2014, 08:37:03 PM »
Lost Sinner Sword and Chaos Blade drain HP when you hit dudes, but when I needed to activate the Red Tearstone Ring for the Ancient Dragon fight I just rolled off ledges.  So that's a thing if suicide into the dragon's a goal with Throne Duo down!

Speaking of the Ancient Dragon I have a new idea to try and fight him which may be the easiest way ever.  Just need to scrounge info on the wikis first.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1131 on: April 26, 2014, 09:13:18 PM »
The Abyss covenant ring drains your hp every time you cast a hex, could do that.

Ancient Dragon technique you just stand in front of his head.  If his wings flap he's going to fly into the air so you just deselect targeting and run as far away as you can.  Otherwise he will do the close flame breath - you just run towards him and get free attacks at his legs.  After a few attacks go stand in front of his head again and repeat.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 09:16:07 PM by Captain K. »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1132 on: April 26, 2014, 09:41:29 PM »
Xenogears: Final dungeon.

Hours 51-52: I don't have much to say about the final dungeon. It is long and boring and essentially a treasure hunt for two arbitrarily placed switches. Thank goodness the game provides you with a map, I would hate it so much otherwise.

Hour 53: Finally, there is the clash with Deus. I kind of like the design of this fight where you have to decide how optimally to take down the four pillars (or not!) and handle the boss, with party switching in the way. It's all pretty trivially easy if you've gotten Big Joe's silly power upgrades though.

Anyway Deus is beaten, which also shuts off the Zohar that is tied to it. The world is saved! Or not. The Wave Existence is freed and is heading back to its home dimension... which perhaps fittingly for something which has been used as a near-infinite power source, is going to release a lot of energy when it happens! Citan calculates that it will be enough to blow up the world. Well. That wasn't as planned.

But then, Deus starts moving upwards, leaving the planet. It appears that it will escape the world before it can explode. Fei realises that it must be Elly who is moving Deus away, in order to save everyone else. Which is great news, but Fei is still understandably frustrated that Elly is, once again, going to die. He also realises that hey, his gear still works because it is special and because it made direct contact with the Zohar, still has some power of its own despite Zohar being gone. So he goes to chase after Elly and Deus, whatever the risk to his own life.

When he catches up with Deus, he is absorbed into what seems to be another subconscious dimension, like when he first met the Wave Existence. Only this time the Wave Existence isn't there, but Krelian. Krelian talks about how by being absorbed by Deus he is now one with god, and desires to return to god's plane of existence. (It isn't clear what his plans were should Deus not have been destroyed... I'd compare this rambling to Seymour's idiotic rambling inside Sin in FFX but I think the game wants me to take Krelian more seriously.) There is some stupid converation about how Krelian can't trust people therefore the only solution is to go to a dimension where all are one (or at least he and Elly). Fei says he's wrong, boss fight ensues against Urobolus (Ouroburos), a purple-haired snake-woman which is the manifestation of Miang's hold on Elly.

Elly is saved. She talks about how being one with Krelian made her realise all the sadness he held, and that he actually "loved people more than anyone". That's why he tried to kill almost everyone right? Barf, what an awful villain. Elly also talks about regretting trying to sacrifice herself to save everyone, but Fei tells her not to apologise, that making sacrifices to help others, even if it feels selfish, is what love is and an essential part of being human. At this point the pocket dimension starts to fall apart so the two make to escape.

As they do, Elly trips, so Fei stops to go back to her, and the dimension is apparently destroyed. But they aren't dead, because Krelian saved them. He tells them to return to their planet. Fei wants him to come too, but Krelian says he has committed too many sins to do so (hey, for once, I agree), so he goes off to "walk with god" by going to its dimension. Which was his goal all along, so I guess he wins?

Pretty much everything about that character in that scene rubs me the wrong way.

Anyway, Fei and Elly make it home, and there's a happy scene as they are reunited with an overjoyed Citan, Bart, Margie, Emeralda... and even Chu-Chu. Humans are free from Deus and the Zohar, and Fei and Elly are finally free to live out a happy life with each other after so many past lives of tragedy. The end. :)

I'm a big fan of Xenogears but there isn't much about those last few hours (after the big scenes at the Zohar with Id) I really like? The ending deciding to suddenly be all about feeble attempts to justify and glorify an unredeemable monster (who wasn't even the main villain) is bizarre and leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

Overall though, there's still a lot to like about this game. Yes it could have been better (some pacing problems at point, wasting too many time in side stuff in disc 1 then cramming together the good stuff in disc 2), but to echo what Snowfire said, it remains impressive just what a tapestry of plotting this game creates, with so many characters with distinct motivations (PCs and NPCs alike) and it's really interesting to see. As someone who really enjoys seeing how a large cast each with their own agenda can fit together, not to mention a rich backstory which has clear implications on the present characters' trials, Xenogears has a lot to offer. Not a perfect game by any means (even completely ignoring all its failings on fronts that aren't writing), but one in a style I would certainly like to see more of, especially in an era with better production values and better translations.

A fun ride anyway. Hope you enjoyed reading about it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1133 on: April 26, 2014, 10:46:13 PM »
Ayup.  I know there's some Krelian fans out there, but...  meh.  I am a *fine* with a putatively sympathetic villain who becomes a monster, but XG leans way too far toward rewarding Krelian - having Elly be the one to say how Krelian loved more than anyone without qualification and with it seeming like a good thing for the dude who has engineered the death of a vast number of people bah.  So Krelian wins and gets to become one with God and I guess that resurrecting Deus was the only way to save humanity or something.  If our villain is going to win, at least have our heroes be a tad more bitter about it - what about all the people Deus ate?  Do they get to be one with God too?  etc.

Krelian's mostly fine for his main purpose in the plot, but yeah, meh to the way he's handled in the ending. 

I think I've mentioned this before to CK and he had some answer that sounded moderately convincing at the time, but something that always struck me as odd about Krelian (but not necessarily bad) is that the game paints him as very passionate in the backstory and the ending - he loved Sophia just SO MUCH he would do crazy shit.  Yet his style in the present timeline was very much the cold calculating rational "I've read the script" type.  He never loses his temper or gets angry or surprised, and coldly plans mass murder -> revive "God", yet never reconsiders that his goal might be, uh, less than rational.  I'm not saying this combination can't work, but XG doesn't really delve any further into it or really notice this seeming clash.  It'd be nice if they added a scene where someone confronted (present) Krelian over something, and he got flustered and defensive and snappy, which might explain his stubbornness for never reconsidering his crazy genocidal out of love path.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1134 on: April 26, 2014, 10:57:58 PM »
I pretty much agree entirely.

I also play other games, so catching up with those...

Devil May Cry: Replayed this on a whim, just did a NM playthrough straight through with no frills. I retained enough ability at the game that I didn't have too much trouble. Except against Nightmare 3 who is a complete jerk.

Phoenix Wright: Replayed this game, minus 1-5. Good times as always. I was struck by a few things, though
-This game is quite a bit shorter than later games. Thanks to the 3DS clock I now know that AAI was 17 hours, PWDD was 26, but AA1 was about 10. That's probably why they stuck another case into the game for the DS release, since even AA2 and AA3 are notably longer I think.
-The internet has convinced me that presenting your badge to everyone is a thing, so I figured this time I would make more of a point to do that. Hardly anyone in AA1 reacts to your badge, including nobody in the first case where presenting is possible (1-2). Interesting.
-The end of 1-2 is one of those things I expect will be less stupid when I see it coming, but it never is. Terrible. On the other hand I really have gained an appreciation for the raw feeling of oppresion in 1-4, and 1-3 is pretty much good times throughout, but especially that second trial day. Whoof.

Phoenix Wright JFA: Just started this, am currently in 2-2.

DmC Devil May Cry: See, I play new games too! Anyway I'm a couple hours into this. Despite rather low expectations the gameplay seems very promising, I really like the weapons and how you switch between them, and especially their "pull enemy / pull self" functions which seem like they might lead to a lot of fun! Writing... mm. On the one hand the opening was pretty awful, why were there random strippers okay. On the other hand the game has definitely managed some moments since. Vergil being a calm, rational, intellectual man is just the weirdest, but obviously a large improvement anyway.

Soul Nomad: I'm at around map 20 or so. Gameplay is pretty brainless outside one map where I got owned by squid-monsters repeatedly until I learned how the game's squad weapon-triangle worked and made leaders who weren't melee fighters. The gameplay's not very engaging but at least it isn't actively offputting like Disgaea, and Gig is just amazing. I could take or leave the sum total of the rest of the writing so far, but Gig makes every scene he is in. Someone give his voice actor a medal.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 02:47:28 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1135 on: April 27, 2014, 12:55:18 AM »
BD- Snow who did you pay to get put into this game? Holly is so you that it hurts.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1136 on: April 27, 2014, 01:03:47 AM »
Snow is like 1/3 of the boss fights.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1137 on: April 27, 2014, 02:12:49 AM »
I neither confirm nor deny.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1138 on: April 27, 2014, 03:06:22 AM »
DS2: Now I have a machinegun. Ho. Ho. Ho.

All that is not punchable is bowgunned. Dual Avelyn mode is pretty sweet. Not so broke as that video Fenrir posted--I'm definitely not getting 1800 damage out per volley, dunno if it was patched at some point or if that dude had some crazy magic setup boosting his damage--but a thousand or so damage on demand is still nothing to complain about. But yeesh you burn through ammo using this thing. It isn't even the cost that's inconvenient (because NG+), it's just having to go back to slightly out of the way merchants to restock.

Have I mentioned that power stance gives you a totally girly walk? Because it does and it's fantastic. Running with two crossbows equipped looks especially ridiculous. If I flap my armaments hard enough I can flyyyyy.

So I was fighting some dudes today and I got stabbed and then I got a message rated and I got some health back. !!! So rating messages actually does do something.

EDIT: I think that Krelian--much like Albedo in XS--is evidence of the writer being far too impressed with his own creations. Fei and Elly's blase reaction to watching him walk off to get exactly what he wanted the whole time just isn't reconcilable with all the awful stuff they know he did. "He loved people more than anyone else" + architect of global genocide = cognitive dissonance. I've always figured the writer just thought Krelian needed to come out on top because he's so smart and masterfully conniving and cunningly manipulative, guys don't you see everything should work out for him just because he had such an amazing plan and fooled everybody for so long and blarrgh (I've always found the same problem to apply to a somewhat lesser degree to Citan, you just don't care as much because he's on your side. Even if he's occasionally a dick about it).

This is really more apparent given the way the same point is hammered home with Albedo. His exit in XS2, carried off by the angelic forms of all the little girls he brutally murdered? (A scene which I still consider a far more egregious example of bad writing than any of XS3's Dan Brown plot hokery.) Given that and all the time spent on URTV flashbacks early in the game, the obvious implication is that we should overlook all the horrible shit he did because man he had a rough childhood, okay? But sympathy for a brutal past =/= forgiveness for adult crimes. It seems like there's no buffer between those concepts in the mind of the Xeno writer.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 03:39:49 AM by El Cideon »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1139 on: April 27, 2014, 04:04:56 AM »
There is some stupid converation about how Krelian can't trust people therefore the only solution is to go to a dimension where all are one (or at least he and Elly).
Elly is saved. She talks about how being one with Krelian made her realise all the sadness he held, and that he actually "loved people more than anyone". That's why he tried to kill almost everyone right? Barf, what an awful villain. Elly also talks about regretting trying to sacrifice herself to save everyone, but Fei tells her not to apologise, that making sacrifices to help others, even if it feels selfish, is what love is and an essential part of being human. At this point the pocket dimension starts to fall apart so the two make to escape.

Regarding this bit, I always assumed that Krellian is exactly as selfish and terrible as he seems for the rest of the game, but 'redeeming' part is that he was genuinely in love with Sofia, so Elly picked up on that while they were stuck together. When she says he 'loved people more than anyone', I'm almost reading that as 'loved Sofia/Elly more than anyone'. Elly forgives him his 'transgressions' because that's just what Elly would do. I'm not sure that player is necessarily supposed to be as magnanimous as Elly.

But again, CK has the right of it - when you don't understand something in XG: Start with "Love" and work backwards from there.

It's been a long time since I've seen the scene in question, so perhaps the framing of Krellian is more sympathetic than I remember, but that could also be the game running on crunch time trying to give us a big happy ending ASAP.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1140 on: April 27, 2014, 06:43:06 AM »
Dark Souls 2: How much effort can be done in two hours?  Throne Duo, Giant Lord, FINAL BOSS, Executioner Chariot all dead.  None took a life but I jumped off a cliff on purpose at one point to grab the Aurous set.  I also managed to survive the pit fall without the cat ring so yeah, fall damage is straight damage confirmed!  All those every other game ever can suck it.  Doesn't look like I can get SUPER-EASY mode for Ancient Dragon up though.  Managed to get 20 Fire Seeds so yay that I guess.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1141 on: April 27, 2014, 07:02:23 AM »
Krelian hype, somewhat like Fei hype, often comes from his situation, not the character himself.  He rose to prominence and ultimately survived every other villain through the combination of intelligence/SCIENCE and willpower.  Some people really dig that.

I think though what the game's trying to elicit from us is pity.  Krelian is a broken man, and not in the same sense that Grahf was, at least not entirely.  They say to the effect that he was a ball of uncontained fury before he came under Sophia's wing, and in the story proper he exhibits nearly no emotion and essentially commits genocide with utter callousness.  But what I think the game is trying to say with the 'loved people more than anyone else' line... hard to put to words.  That he, by nature, is an optimist, who wants to see the best in people.  But that the gap between what he thinks people should be and how they act aren't something he can reconcile, so he at first acts out, and later coldly manipulates.  So in that callous, doesn't-fucking-get-it way, activating Deus so people would be 'one' together with it was a way to force people into a 'better' life, albeit through much pain.  But, of course, if the plan failed, it would mean an end to the Deus system entirely, meaning a world that was properly free to fill its own destiny.  His words and actions after you beat Deus can definitely be read as him expecting Fei to win out and finally destroy Deus, and him arranging things so he could free Elly as well.

The pity comes in here because 'walking with god' is not the better option.  A human life, one with love, clearly preferable.  But Krelian, broken as he is, isn't fit to be human.  And so the only thing left is to go with god.  Fei argues, essentially, 'you are better than you think you are', but nobody else in the room is really having it.  And really it's more an indicator of Fei being a softy than Krel really being able to make up for the whole genocide thing and be a decent human being.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1142 on: April 27, 2014, 07:10:52 AM »
While pity isn't exactly what I'd think of for a situation like that, I'd be happier if the game made it more clear that's what it's going for.  It randomly turns really, really shiny on Krelian toward the end, which kind of mutes any "this poor pitiable creature lost his love and suffered a lot of pain."

The larger issue is your 2nd paragraph - put things another way, suppose you have some vanilla fantasy world, and there's some evil wizard doing evil stuff, the evil wizard summons the Demon Lord, the heroes defeat the Demon Lord, then the wizard announces "well great everything went just according to plan, I knew you'd beat him, now look, no more demon lord, right?"  It's a tough plot point to pull off without wanting to throw the controller at the screen.  (Wild Arms 2 probably comes the closest, I guess!)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1143 on: April 27, 2014, 07:35:48 AM »
I didn't say they did it well, just it's what I think they were trying to do.

That said Deus was not some threat manufactured by Krelian.  Remember, both of Fei's major past lives coincided with massive depopulation events (it's fairly explicitly stated that around 95% of humans died during the fall of the Zeboim civilization, and again during the Diablos invasion), and both were directly set into motion by Miang, the agent of Deus resurrection, with that express result in mind.  The random demon lord comparison isn't particularly apt.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1144 on: April 27, 2014, 07:38:05 AM »
BD - Just beat the Fire Crystal boss. :) Now I can use Summoner because I have Salve Maker MP healing. Woot.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1145 on: April 27, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »
I can't really swallow that Krelian knew the heroes would defeat Deus. The game paints their victory as quite unlikely. If that was the angle the writers were going for I think they failed miserably; they should have thrown in some ways Krelian was clearly manipulating Deus into a loss if that was their goal. I can see how his words after the fact possibly sync up with that expectation, but yeah it falls flat.

He rose to prominence and ultimately survived every other villain through the combination of intelligence/SCIENCE and willpower.

It's funny, I think that's part of why I don't like him him much. He survives all the other villains who are more memorable/important than him and suddenly the ending is all about him. It's a bit narratively jarring. I also generally find his motivation overlaps far too much with Grahf's and he's less sympathetic/consistent/believable about it.

For what it's worth I do think your (CK's) analysis of the writers' intent with the character is probably accurate and yeah it does make Elly's line there less objectionable. Obviously I still consider the character and scene to be a big swing and a miss.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1146 on: April 27, 2014, 08:36:58 AM »
CK: Well assume the Demon Lord's followers were tormenting mankind before.  That's the pro-Krelian argument - he knew that Deus was wrecking havoc from behind the scenes, so the best way to stop him was to let him "win" then get him destroyed once and for all.  Same deal.

FF13's "ending" has something similar, of course...  wherein Lightning rambles about how the Fal'cie are poisoning humanity or something, so fine, we'll go wreck the world but live free lives.  She's essentially chosen the Krelian solution - we may blow up the world, but hey, no more Big Bad Guy messing with things behind the scenes.  Except the world isn't quite blown up in FF13's case but details.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1147 on: April 27, 2014, 10:19:56 AM »
The Blackwell Epiphany - played through

Pretty great.

It is a bit annoying that the major plotline leading out of Deception is mostly ignored. I was expecting Alex Silva to be behind the media lockdown and for there to be a confrontation between her and Rosa after after Sam started feeding Rosa information, but instead she essentially doesn't even appear in the game.

Wasn't expecting the ending. Thankfully Rosa doesn't appear to have become a ghost, at least. Seems like Joey could probably have quite a bit of trouble living in an identity-centric world, presumably without any money on top of that so I'm not sure if that was really the best thing that could have happened, although I guess it could be seen as preferable to the status quo assuming he doesn't just end up homeless or so on. Um. At minimum he could hope that when he died he didn't become a spirit guide again?

It was interesting to see the scenes with Jocelyn, but I don't understand why Joey was the ghost she and Madeline had to deal with. It seems pointlessly coincidental? Given that Joey never shows any signs of recognising Madeline from that time, and they appear to send him on his way successfully so it isn't explained how he ended up becoming a spirit guide either. I will note that I possibly missed a scene or some extra dialogue somewhere somehow because I'm missing an achievement which has a description that seems like it could be related.

I don't think it was ever explained who shot George either.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1148 on: April 27, 2014, 02:59:25 PM »
Woah, Super's playing Bravely Default?

Really looking forward to his reaction towads a certain plot twist now.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1149 on: April 27, 2014, 04:40:36 PM »
Vendrick on the other hand...

Vendrick is far easier if you block instead of rolling.  If you can take two shield hits from full stamina then survive a hit from full health, Vendrick's got nothing on you.  Just circle close around him, most of his attacks will whiff.  As long as you hug his body you avoid the Vendrick Death Zone.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!