Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183571 times)

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #425 on: February 27, 2014, 07:01:39 PM »
Getting a better catalyst pales in comparison to getting more high-end spells, which I gather you're still somewhat short on.  Also you should totally use Beatrice's Catalyst because it looks awesome.  (You just have to beat 4 kings.  No problem amirite)
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 07:04:03 PM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #426 on: February 27, 2014, 08:43:01 PM »
You just reminded me of my near victory over Artorias that turned into a lose because my rapier broke mid-battle.

Hahaha. Something that similarly occurred to me when you were posting bundles of FONV screenshots: wait what you mean there are people who don't compulsively top off their equipment every time they rest anywhere?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #427 on: February 27, 2014, 09:03:41 PM »
Parasite Eve 3: Finished the game.
It all makes sense now!!

The game got gradually easier, which is often the case in unbalanced hard modes. Oh well! I'm not sure I would have liked Emily level difficulty for the entire game.

Weapon rating:
- Pistols: LOL
- Assault Rifle: Like in every shooter, assault rifles are everything. I got the best "power +, impact - one" and upgraded it forever.
- Shotgun: Really fun to use but not enough ammo
- Sniper rifles: Fun concept, the only weapon that can snipe weak points, unfortunately the speed kills them. I only used them against beans, which are extremely easy to cheese with sniper rifles.
- Launcher: Also suffers from atrocious speed but you don't really have to aim. Ubar damage, ubar expensive, no ammo, I eventually replaced my shotgun with one and fed it all my money.

Skills didn't actuallmy seem to matter that much. Obvious ones were Restock and Kill Boost. Energy Defense might have been allright? I kept it all the time so I don't know. Haste is so awesome when it triggers, which is never.
Every overdrive skill sucks pretty much.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: February 27, 2014, 11:26:05 PM »
Better than lolis but terrible.

Oh man wait until you get to the last plot twist!  If you didn't already think Toriyama was a creep...

By the way I don't know what you were talking about there? Maybe a rape from Bohr to Eve metaphor, but that's it. Admittedly pretty fucking bad but not anywhere near Xenosaga bad or anything.

Meanwhile the Maeda/Aya relationship was really terrible, with Maeda saying the creepiest shit you can think of about her and Aya barely ever looking bothered.

So why did SWAT jerks attack Aya at her wedding anyway?
That should be really obvious? But I really don't have any idea. I mean, I didn't understand anything about the story, but at least this should have been an exception.
PE3.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 11:31:32 PM by Fenrir »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #429 on: February 28, 2014, 01:27:46 AM »
88-91: Sanctuary Guardian

Bellowing Dragoncrest Ring made the difference.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #430 on: February 28, 2014, 02:37:21 AM »
Pokemon Soul Silver: Totodile just ate some Team Rocket members, Geodude punched one in the face, and Hoothoot lost a staring contest with a Slowpoke.

...some of that may be major exaggerations/bullshit/etc., but should give you an idea what I just did!

Tales of Graces F: Holy crap, Hubert is fun to play as!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: February 28, 2014, 03:22:17 AM »
Knytt Underground - Picked this up on Alex and RICHARD endorsement. I have been playing it obsessively since  it finished downloaded. Most of the map explored in chapter 3, only 2 bells to go.

General thoughts: HOLY SHIT this game is fun. It's not action packed or really hard or anything, but it's a great little(well...maybe not so little) exploration platformer. Finding all the hidden rooms, trying to get to the items that are right there in plain sight but will require some REALLY tricky platforming to get to, enjoying the banter between your fairy sidekicks, it's all fun.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:26 AM »
92: Wood Knight
93: Harvest golem
94: Cliff
95: Artorias
96: Artorias
97: Artorias
98: Artorias

I think I'll win sooner than I did against Sanctuary Guardian.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #433 on: February 28, 2014, 04:53:35 AM »
You just reminded me of my near victory over Artorias that turned into a lose because my rapier broke mid-battle.

Hahaha. Something that similarly occurred to me when you were posting bundles of FONV screenshots: wait what you mean there are people who don't compulsively top off their equipment every time they rest anywhere?

Normally I'm utterly neurotic about repairing things, but I never recovered my souls for so long the rapiers pitiful durability wore out after a dozen fights.

The funniest thing about Preacher Courier I never got around to posting about because he was kinda boring was burning the Ranger Sequoia's durability apart so much.  The gov't rounds had a large condition degradation so I was losing about 15% condition per fight.  Worth it for the sheer class of the gun though.

All the Dark Souls talk, and my coincidental watching of LPs has really gotten me in the mood for the game.  But I won't be able to accomplish a thing before 2 comes out and RUINS EVERYTHING.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #434 on: February 28, 2014, 08:01:05 AM »
Better than lolis but terrible.

Oh man wait until you get to the last plot twist!  If you didn't already think Toriyama was a creep...

By the way I don't know what you were talking about there? Maybe a rape from Bohr to Eve metaphor, but that's it. Admittedly pretty fucking bad but not anywhere near Xenosaga bad or anything.

Meanwhile the Maeda/Aya relationship was really terrible, with Maeda saying the creepiest shit you can think of about her and Aya barely ever looking bothered.

So why did SWAT jerks attack Aya at her wedding anyway?
That should be really obvious? But I really don't have any idea. I mean, I didn't understand anything about the story, but at least this should have been an exception.
PE3.

"Speaking of lolis" because the whole game you are actually a young girl in Aya's body.  It's the opposite of what they did in SO4 but it's not any less gross.

Also I recently found out that the original work was mostly about condemning people who receive donated organs for "defiling corpses" so fuck that too while I'm telling things to get fucked.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 08:02:46 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #435 on: February 28, 2014, 08:31:29 AM »

Also I recently found out that the original work was mostly about condemning people who receive donated organs for "defiling corpses" so fuck that too while I'm telling things to get fucked.

Y'know, that makes the original game a hilarious fuck you in a way...
And this is why people miss PS1 era square.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: February 28, 2014, 09:37:46 AM »

Y'know, that makes the original game a hilarious fuck you in a way...
And this is why people miss PS1 era square.

Square actually took out all of the material that was really blatant in its condemnation of people who got donated organs rather than, you know, just dying. I'm talking about the Japanese novel.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: February 28, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »
Jesus, you're right.
Fuck Parasite Eve.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: February 28, 2014, 08:27:44 PM »
I have played PE1 and played nothing else from the series and am happier for that.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #439 on: February 28, 2014, 08:49:56 PM »
I was getting at the fact that, in PE1, you basically gain superpowers and fight off Eve because of a corneal transplant.  While the initial transmission of Eve is also due to a transplant, there's also a lengthy bit where it's clear she'd have never been able to take over except Melissa, inexplicably, ODed on immuno-suppresants.  So the net message is more "Transplants help people live better lives, just don't work yourself so hard you become a horrible monster".

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: February 28, 2014, 11:58:22 PM »
I was getting at the fact that, in PE1, you basically gain superpowers and fight off Eve because of a corneal transplant.  While the initial transmission of Eve is also due to a transplant, there's also a lengthy bit where it's clear she'd have never been able to take over except Melissa, inexplicably, ODed on immuno-suppresants.  So the net message is more "Transplants help people live better lives, just don't work yourself so hard you become a horrible monster".

The two halves of the statement make no sense when put together.  Like "a diet low in LDL cholesterol will help you live a longer and healthier life, just don't drink and drive."  Still it's an admirable cleaning up from "people who sign organ donor forms for their loved ones deserve to be raped and then burned alive."

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 01, 2014, 05:39:46 AM »
Bravely Default - Been playing a lot of this lately. Currently up to the Miasma Woods, early in chapter 2.

Holy crap this game is polished! It's like they read some sort of wishlish for this. I mean...
-Adjustable difficulty, with Hard Mode being right in that sort of pleasantly challenging area I enjoy
-Encounter rate control
-Ability to control what you gain from battles if you want to grind without gaining certain things (or just want to do a LLG I suppose)
-Instant help and generally good, precise documentation on everything (e.g. Stomp is "do 1.25x damage, defence -25% for two turns" rather than anything vague)
-The ability to see all stats of previously scanned enemies
-Ability to speed up (x2 or x4) or pause battles on the fly.
-Ability to revise earlier choices for PC actions in the round without needing to cancel all subsequent actions. I don't think I've seen another traditional turn-based game do this; it's great.
-Scene skip! And the flipside of it, ability to rewatch scenes as in FFT, etc.
-Autosaving on each floor of a dungeon. Nice if you die (and on HM the game is hard enough to merit this).
-Lots of language and sound options for those of you who care about such things.

Aside from that the game is very much the spiritual successor to FF5. It's hard to find ways the game isn't better than FF5 though, and from a big FF5 fan that says quite a bit. My only real concern is the game's slower pace, but that feels awfully controllable; for now I'm watching all the scenes, doing the optional content (at least that I'm aware of), and reading the encyclopedia a lot... I imagine the game can slim down a lot on replays (which I'm already thinking of; obviously a good sign). The other possible complaint is that traditional turn-based (with somewhat randomised speed) is a bit of a strange choice in 2014, and not one I'm personally a huge fan of... but it's hard to fault the game too much, as the gameplay design is solid and the brave/default system puts a great new twist on the old system. Randoms on hard mode are pretty nasty and generally don't quite roll over and die to a brave rush (unless you spend oodles of MP) so how you approach them does matter, and the bosses... actually, boss design reminds me most of BoF1, just with a very modern/polished spin on it: unusually durable and relatively straightforward, but the game expects you to execute well and use the system against them properly to win.

The game's writing is the best of FF5 and its other successors (FFD and Blue Dragon) which is damning with faint praise to be sure, i.e. it's not a game I'd play for plot but it's not horrible at it. Tiz sucks and generally feels thrown into the game (reminds me of what I've read about Vaan from FF12; "We can't have Agnès be the main! Make some bland yet heroic teenage dude!") but I like the other three PCs. Edea is the favourite because she says the things I am thinking of.

Right now it feels rather transparent that Ringabel is Dim, somehow tossed back into the past bereft of memory, since the diary seems fairly obviously Dim's and the game went painfully out of its way to keep those two from meeting. The main thing that gives me pause on this theory is a post Captain K made last week. Hmm.

Also I am surprised how few shits are given at the PCs committing regicide. I'm sure nothing horrible will happen with that power vacuum we created.

I'm a bit surprised by just how much of a Final Fantasy this game is; all it really lacks is the name. The classes (the first five are Knight, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, and Thief...), the items, the equipment, the crystals are all pulled straight out of FF. I guess "Flying Fairy" does sound awfully like "Final Fantasy" in Japanese...

I'm generally enjoying the game a lot! Certainly a must-play if you're still into RPGs (unless you really didn't like FF5, i.e. you're Super). If you still don't have a 3DS for some reason go change that because this system keeps getting better and better.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 01, 2014, 07:02:41 AM »
BD spoilers:

I guess it wasn't as obvious to me, I guessed DeRosso.[/size=1pt]

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 01, 2014, 07:22:11 AM »
Elf, Flying Fairy and Final Fantasy is meant to work in a subtraction.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 01, 2014, 09:20:13 AM »
Niu why would you even say that

Ittle Dew - played through

Decently entertaining classic-LOZ-lite. (By classic LOZ I'm referring to Awakening/Oracles-style in case anyone has a different concept of that).

Advertising gave the impression that there was going to be a lot more incidental humorous dialogue than there actually was, annoyingly. What there was, was probably the highlight of the game more than the gameplay.

Gameplay's main issue was mainly that a) Ittle's sword has barely any reach and that b) she can't hit anything on a diagonal, unlike how Link's sword would swing across it and be essentially as long as his body. Of course, a lot of the time you weren't fighting anyway. Feels like the game has a much greater emphasis on puzzles than LOZ tends to.

Ended up using a guide for help in around half the puzzles in the Master Cave. Most of the times ended up relating to using magic on other magic or on moving things, although a couple times it turned out I had been right in my approach but I wasn't pulling it off well enough.

Simon The Sorceror 3D - Stalled around the chapter 2/3 border

Seems like I forgot to talk about this last time.

I was aways into Chapter 3 and the game crashed, and the last time I'd saved was near the end of Chapter 2. Every time I've since tried to re-complete Chapter 2, the game has crashed on me after a couple minutes. I should probably take this as a sign. Especially since Chapter 2 ends with a minigame that's twice as long as it needs to be that I'm not looking forward to doing over.

Anyway it's not very good. Not terrible or anything, just terribly mediocre. The chapter 2 and 3 maps are unnecessarily expansive with comparatively little to interact with, although there is a something like a fast-travel system at least. You also need to be facing someone's front in order to talk to them, which is more annoying than you might think because that's often a narrower margin than you might think and sometimes the game thinks that the front of the person isn't where a human would think that the front of the person was. There was a person in a hole who I went for a while assuming I just couldn't initiate conversation with because they refused to show up as interactable, until one time when I was standing offset from where I considered their front to be. Another example: there's a person who has a book in their back pocket - which is technically optional, but lets you avoid having to do as much grinding for money as you'd have to do otherwise - that you're extremely unlikely to see because why would you ever go behind someone when the game is so strict on you being in front of them, and there's no indications that there'd be any particular reason to go behind this one.

There was several times where the camera got confused and stopped focusing on Simon, so I couldn't see what he was doing unless I put him in crawling mode (which changes the viewpoint to first-person, but also generally prevents you from interacting with things). Normally it ended up being possible to fix the camera if you went to the edge of somewhere where it changed, got out of crawl mode, and crossed said edge, but that didn't always work.

The situation set up at the end of Simon 2 is, assuming that it isn't brought back up later, mostly handwaved away. The game starts as Sordid comes back from the regular universe, decides he doesn't need Simon's body any more and leaves it for a robotic one. Somehow the body is recovered by Melissa. Simon somehow changed from being stuck in Sordid's old robotic body to being a soul in a bottle, and Calypso has taken it and his body to some experts to have them recombined. I find it hard to believe that Sordid could have blended in, but whatever I guess.

Mega Man 9 - Only Tornado Man left

Unfortunately I suck at his stage

The Shivah: Kosher Edition - Oh right, I played through this too.

Fine enough for what it is, but what it is is very short. Possibly shorter than Blackwell Legacy?

The dialogue was pretty enjoyable.

Because I'm completely oblivious, it took me several runs at the final sequence before I realised what you were supposed to be doing. After that it was a little disappointing because you end up saying the same things multiple times to complete it. Oh well.

Got what's presumably the best ending, can't be bothered replaying to get the others right now though. Although I probably do have a save in that general vicinity I could start from...
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 09:34:50 AM by Twilkitri »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 01, 2014, 09:45:03 AM »
X-COM Enemy Within:  I finished the first new... uh, event, I guess you'd call it, that EW added.  A town in Newfoundland went silent and the government teams that got sent in all vanished so of course they call in X-COM.  At first it's just a chrysalid infestation, then you find out they have a hive on a freighter that crashed there.  Once you get within a certain number of squares to the freighter the hive starts spawning chrysalids at a rate of 1 per turn, with the occasional extra exploding out of one of the tuna onboard, Alien-style.  To finish the mission you have to fight your way onto the ship, get to the bridge to activate the transponder and call in an air strike, then you eight turns to fight your way all the way back to the LZ.  Anyone outside the LZ at the end of the eight turns dies.  Did I mention chrysalids are still spawning from the ship, and at least three of them spawn between you and the LZ?  What I'm saying was it was a fucking war.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 01, 2014, 03:06:11 PM »
Bravely Default - Been playing a lot of this lately. Currently up to the Miasma Woods, early in chapter 2.

Holy crap this game is polished! It's like they read some sort of wishlish for this. I mean...
-Adjustable difficulty, with Hard Mode being right in that sort of pleasantly challenging area I enjoy
-Encounter rate control
-Ability to control what you gain from battles if you want to grind without gaining certain things (or just want to do a LLG I suppose)
-Instant help and generally good, precise documentation on everything (e.g. Stomp is "do 1.25x damage, defence -25% for two turns" rather than anything vague)
-The ability to see all stats of previously scanned enemies
-Ability to speed up (x2 or x4) or pause battles on the fly.
-Ability to revise earlier choices for PC actions in the round without needing to cancel all subsequent actions. I don't think I've seen another traditional turn-based game do this; it's great.
-Scene skip! And the flipside of it, ability to rewatch scenes as in FFT, etc.
-Autosaving on each floor of a dungeon. Nice if you die (and on HM the game is hard enough to merit this).
-Lots of language and sound options for those of you who care about such things.

Aside from that the game is very much the spiritual successor to FF5. It's hard to find ways the game isn't better than FF5 though, and from a big FF5 fan that says quite a bit. My only real concern is the game's slower pace, but that feels awfully controllable; for now I'm watching all the scenes, doing the optional content (at least that I'm aware of), and reading the encyclopedia a lot... I imagine the game can slim down a lot on replays (which I'm already thinking of; obviously a good sign). The other possible complaint is that traditional turn-based (with somewhat randomised speed) is a bit of a strange choice in 2014, and not one I'm personally a huge fan of... but it's hard to fault the game too much, as the gameplay design is solid and the brave/default system puts a great new twist on the old system. Randoms on hard mode are pretty nasty and generally don't quite roll over and die to a brave rush (unless you spend oodles of MP) so how you approach them does matter, and the bosses... actually, boss design reminds me most of BoF1, just with a very modern/polished spin on it: unusually durable and relatively straightforward, but the game expects you to execute well and use the system against them properly to win.

The game's writing is the best of FF5 and its other successors (FFD and Blue Dragon) which is damning with faint praise to be sure, i.e. it's not a game I'd play for plot but it's not horrible at it. Tiz sucks and generally feels thrown into the game (reminds me of what I've read about Vaan from FF12; "We can't have Agnès be the main! Make some bland yet heroic teenage dude!") but I like the other three PCs. Edea is the favourite because she says the things I am thinking of.

Right now it feels rather transparent that Ringabel is Dim, somehow tossed back into the past bereft of memory, since the diary seems fairly obviously Dim's and the game went painfully out of its way to keep those two from meeting. The main thing that gives me pause on this theory is a post Captain K made last week. Hmm.

Also I am surprised how few shits are given at the PCs committing regicide. I'm sure nothing horrible will happen with that power vacuum we created.

I'm a bit surprised by just how much of a Final Fantasy this game is; all it really lacks is the name. The classes (the first five are Knight, Monk, Black Mage, White Mage, and Thief...), the items, the equipment, the crystals are all pulled straight out of FF. I guess "Flying Fairy" does sound awfully like "Final Fantasy" in Japanese...

I'm generally enjoying the game a lot! Certainly a must-play if you're still into RPGs (unless you really didn't like FF5, i.e. you're Super). If you still don't have a 3DS for some reason go change that because this system keeps getting better and better.

There is nothing in this post about Xenogears. hate u 4ever

Also all those things you said made me consider getting Bravely Default. hate u 5ever
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 03:10:20 PM by Makkotah »

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 01, 2014, 05:44:23 PM »

-snip-

I believe what happened is that they surveyed players of the original version of Bravely Default in Japan for what sort of improvements they would like to see, got a list of 100, then made an updated rerelease ("For the Sequel" in Japan) that implemented most of them, and the western releases were based on this updated version. I think every polish feature you mentioned was added in For the Sequel except the in-game documentation, as were multiple save slots; the original BD only had 1, like a Pokemon game.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2014, 05:46:08 PM by hinode »

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #448 on: March 01, 2014, 06:36:31 PM »
On the plus side, what I've read is that the whole survey was intended for features in the sequel, but they also backported it into the original, so whenever that comes out (which is most likely will because most indications are that Bravely Default was a bit of a hit) it should maintain this basic level of quality.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 01, 2014, 07:24:24 PM »

-snip-

I believe what happened is that they surveyed players of the original version of Bravely Default in Japan for what sort of improvements they would like to see, got a list of 100, then made an updated rerelease ("For the Sequel" in Japan) that implemented most of them, and the western releases were based on this updated version. I think every polish feature you mentioned was added in For the Sequel except the in-game documentation, as were multiple save slots; the original BD only had 1, like a Pokemon game.

Yay, now all my desire to buy Bravely Default is gone since I can only get the JP version. Love you 6ever