Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183615 times)

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2200 on: October 02, 2014, 03:31:08 AM »
Souls of Ice and Fire: I mean, just stick Poison in there somewhere and that's the DLC trio composed.

So DLC round 3 is where From points at Grefter's comment about DS2 probably being easier to deal with due to greater linearity and goes trollololol. This is without any competition the most confusing zone ever to appear in a Souls game. It's sprawling, multi-leveled, full of alternate paths and dead ends, not to mention the gaps between bonfires are just appallingly long (there are shortcuts, but they open wayyy later than you'd like them to). I still haven't found the optional boss/dungeon. Beat the plot bosses without a ton of trouble though (certainly way less than the last round of DLC bosses gave me). Dragging the Sentinels to a boss fight with you is pretty neat. Also, Ellie was actually useful for once! (Apparently she's been taking lessons from Jester Thomas.)

I have to give this one points off for mandatory backtracking. You make one pass through the dungeon's main run, fight a boss, and then an NPC dispels the ice barriers blocking up the level. Now you have to run back through everything to get stuff you missed (which include necessary unlocks for the area boss).

I did get a seriously bitching pimp hat out of it, though.

Also you can now wear a giant bell on your head.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2201 on: October 02, 2014, 04:12:30 AM »
All the resounding sound from the internet echo chamber seems to be that the DLC are each providing a bit of a response to the negative feedback the internets had about DS2 compared to 1.  It is "Oh you wanted this type of thing?  Here it is distilled to the point where it might be too much of it" as a response.  I am honestly not certain that this is the best approach to DLC (if you didn't like it then why are you buying the DLC?  If you did like it do you want DLC that is significantly different?).  I have heard they are generally pretty hard in different ways than the main game is (which is already hard?).

Also you can now wear a giant bell on your head.

This is bullshit and should have been on disc.  Fuck you From.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2202 on: October 02, 2014, 05:08:41 AM »
Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn - Doing a No Resets run because why not. (Not true Ironman, I continue if I game over, but no resetting for dead PCs). Up to 3-2. Laura and Jill died on 1-E which was its usual terrifying self, Mist died in 3-1 due to fog of war-related sheningans. Pretty fun.

Lightning Returns - Finished all the main plot quests, day 6. Mm, the game's probably about run its course for me, so time to save then skip time until the ending I guess~?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2203 on: October 02, 2014, 10:28:14 AM »
All the resounding sound from the internet echo chamber seems to be that the DLC are each providing a bit of a response to the negative feedback the internets had about DS2 compared to 1.  It is "Oh you wanted this type of thing?  Here it is distilled to the point where it might be too much of it" as a response.  I am honestly not certain that this is the best approach to DLC (if you didn't like it then why are you buying the DLC?  If you did like it do you want DLC that is significantly different?).  I have heard they are generally pretty hard in different ways than the main game is (which is already hard?).

DLC 1&2's bosses were incredibly mean and took forfuckingever to die*. This is basically okay since DS2 original had a ton of pansy bosses; nonetheless, it's kind of a relief that DLC3 bosses are somewhere in between the extremes while at least having tons of style (something that many of the base game's bosses also lacked).

The level architecture in the DLCs is way cooler than most of the original zones, but also seriously grueling due to perhaps excessively long stretches of bitchy enemies between bonfires. The balance plays enough to my preferences that I'm okay with them occasionally being an irritating ordeal.

(*Usual caveat that I've only fought them on NG+ or NG++ applies, of course.)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2204 on: October 02, 2014, 03:43:11 PM »
We're aaaaaaaaaaaaaaabsolutely faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaabulous

Your testimonies about Dark Souls 2 make me feel like the game's actually about Middle Ages scavenging fashionistas.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2205 on: October 02, 2014, 04:22:14 PM »
Gref, you should be playing Wasteland 2 if you're not already. It's the tits.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2206 on: October 02, 2014, 04:45:32 PM »

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2207 on: October 02, 2014, 05:00:47 PM »
Yeah, what is Wasteland 2 like? Also, has anyone played Divinity: Original Sin?

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2208 on: October 02, 2014, 05:24:50 PM »
Since so much of the original Wasteland/Fallout/Black Isle team was involved, a lot of that DNA shows through.  I just made my first "multiple emergency calls are coming in, Ranger.  Whatcha gonna do?" decision and felt that the decision had the appropriate heft to it, where some people are pleased and some are angry.  My decision to assist the ag center left me with something that I think might be important later on, so I'm interested to see how that develops. 

There's a lot of exploration on the map.  Hidden locations exist, some you can just stumble upon but some you need to be told about.  I stumbled upon an abandoned railway overrun with robots so I got the fuck out of there.  Your ability to travel the map is limited by the amount of water you can carry (replenishable at wells in towns and also oasises on the map), and your movement is generally restricted by the large clouds of radiation that you need to find routes through.

Speech is broken up into three types of persuasion, which was something BIS wanted to do for Van Buren but didn't get to.  Likewise, many things that would be one skill in Fallout (like lockpicking and safecracking, or all the types of guns that would be considered small guns) are split up.  Part of this, though, is that the team you get (four Rangers you can create, plus people you can recruit.  I think the limit is 6) needs to diversify their skills, so specialization is important.

The art design is fantastic, especially in the level design.  It captures that same aethetic of the Fallout games, which again, is no surprise.

Basically it's really good so far but I'm only a few hours in, so I can't say more yet.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2210 on: October 02, 2014, 07:15:29 PM »
@ NEB shops upgrade with new stuffs and enemies get stronger later on, from Day 7?, I think, if you're at all interested in that. Final dungeon is rather a jump up in difficulty from what I remember so might be worth getting in some practice vs stronger foes for that at least~

Have you done all moogle village and chocobo stuff (with the return of the chocobo eater) as well?~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2211 on: October 02, 2014, 07:22:47 PM »
Found Moogle Village and tossed some moogles across the horizon, yes. I've beaten the required Chocobo Eater and a few others, if there is more with them I apparently missed it.

I'm actually on Day 7 now and I haven't noticed any upgrades yet but I'll look around.

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2212 on: October 02, 2014, 07:28:20 PM »
Persona 4 ULTIMAX ULTIMATE SUPLEX HOLD IN GLORIOUS HIGH DEFINITION SUNDAY ON PAY PER VIEW!!!!!-  Finished story mode, including Episode Adachi.
 So...
This game.
This game is defined by disappoint.

That is unfair to the game.  It didn't do anything, specifically, wrong.  Just.  They wussed out. About everything.  Um.  Maybe spoilers later, but not now.  There's still plenty of good stuff.  They changed the format around so you have two identifiable main characters (Yu and Labrys) and while Yu's stuff is all standard blah blah blah, Labrys as Persona 3's main character is pretty neat.  And of course this new format means there's quite a bit less retread so that's good.  I'm not sure I can rate it as high as P4A, but still.  Mm.  Anyway.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2213 on: October 02, 2014, 08:28:05 PM »
Yeah, what is Wasteland 2 like? Also, has anyone played Divinity: Original Sin?

Is Wasteland 2 really that good?

And yeah, I've played Divinity: Original Sin. What would you like to know about it?

As for games I'm currently playing:

Chibirhythm: Curtain Call - Mostly just been playing around with the Music Stages. Been attempting to get up to a place where I can reliably play through a whole Ultimate Score, but some songs are just very difficult for that. >_>

Aside from that, just been playing a bit of Smash 4 demo to prepare for tomorrow. Very excited~

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2214 on: October 02, 2014, 09:07:32 PM »
Yaay moogles~

Final chocobo plot stuff involves the Chocobo Eater at full HP in a Chaos field and receiving a special weapon after :) Also more with the frue identity of the chocobo who is not actually Bob, not Snow, but!?~

I think the absolute best gear is sold on the final day but is ridiculously expensive or something. Extra/optional/ultimate lair dungeon also opens up later if you get enough Eradia from doing sidequests but might want to save that for a replay dunno~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2215 on: October 02, 2014, 09:41:12 PM »
Persona 4 ULTIMAX ULTIMATE SUPLEX HOLD IN GLORIOUS HIGH DEFINITION SUNDAY ON PAY PER VIEW!!!!!-  Finished story mode, including Episode Adachi.
 So...
This game.
This game is defined by disappoint.

That is unfair to the game.  It didn't do anything, specifically, wrong.  Just.  They wussed out. About everything.  Um.  Maybe spoilers later, but not now.  There's still plenty of good stuff.  They changed the format around so you have two identifiable main characters (Yu and Labrys) and while Yu's stuff is all standard blah blah blah, Labrys as Persona 3's main character is pretty neat.  And of course this new format means there's quite a bit less retread so that's good.  I'm not sure I can rate it as high as P4A, but still.  Mm.  Anyway.

Gameplay wise? This game is better than the first one on almost everywhere. Except the Shadow characters. They can be... very stupid at times.
Plot wise? This thing can burn, BURN. Cheating the player's expectations like this is the least thing a game developer should do.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2216 on: October 02, 2014, 10:15:11 PM »
Is Wasteland 2 really that good?

So far, yes.  If you liked Fallout 2 you'll be all about it.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2217 on: October 02, 2014, 10:20:36 PM »
Not hit Wasteland 2 yet.   Working out of town for a couple of months without access to a decent internet connection that won't cost me an arse and a leg for a bit, so console backlog it is for me.

I haven't played Divinity yet, but my brothers were playing it coop before I left home and had reported it as fun.  Sounds like it hits a lot of old school RPG design points.  There is a pretty hard level curve and they missed an area, skipping ahead was pretty punishing.  Was fine when they went back a bit.  It sounds pretty much what I would expect from a multiplayer divinity game.  Very traditional and not quite as polished as a AAA game is, but solidly put together and doing some interesting things.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2218 on: October 03, 2014, 12:23:18 AM »
DKC Returns 3D: Up to world 4. Thus far, I like the level design for pretty much every stage that doesn't involve riding a minecart or rocket... incidentally, the world I'm currently on seems to specialize in minecart levels. >_< Welp, Smash 3DS is releasing tomorrow, so now's as good a time as any to take an extended break.

Screen size has been mostly a non-issue thus far thankfully, aside from a few bonus levels and a few sections where a barrel sends you to the background of the level without zooming in. Everything ends up small enough to be disconcerting there, though not to the point of hindering playability seriously, thankfully.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2219 on: October 03, 2014, 01:12:58 AM »
DKC Returns 3D: Up to world 4. Thus far, I like the level design for pretty much every stage that doesn't involve riding a minecart or rocket...

Wow, really? That's pretty close to the opposite of how I feel. (Through the first few worlds the only "normal" level I really remember now is the one with the giant octopus... though there is one non-minecart/rocket level I really love which is still to come!)

Maybe.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2220 on: October 03, 2014, 02:18:43 AM »
Hyrule Warriors - Final boss has been vanquished in Legend Mode. I thought that the final level was the most challenging in the game by far -- I had about 7 or 8 resets, and had to cave in and use the Master Sword after a few tries as Zelda. Even with the increased power, it was still very tough. Now I'm hacking into Adventure Mode. I got Ruto and I'm working on getting Agitha now.

This game is quite interesting! It is very beautiful and has good music, and its treatment of female characters and quantity of them puts most games I've played to shame. It has more female characters than men and isn't some bizarre Charlie's Angels gimmick and doesn't throw it in your face; it just simply has a composition that many other games have in reverse. It is just weird because it's freaking Nintendo, a company which has traditionally not been the most pro-female company in the world. The gameplay is pretty weird but reasonably enjoyable, even if the scale of combat is ridiculous (I just killed 30 enemies with one well-timed limit!), and managing the different win conditions varies from super easy to trickier and more thought-provoking. The plot is breezy and for the most part stays out of the way. I enjoy the storybook style that they go for for the in-between-chapters plot.

The game seems to be a love letter to 3D Zelda, with characters from Ocarina of Time, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword. The Adventure Mode and the boss reference Zelda 1, but there doesn't seem to be too many references to the other Zeldas. I have no real opinion on this, since I don't really follow the series very closely, but it's just something I noticed.

I also figured out that my avatar is from Zelda's victory pose at Hyrule Castle. Makes sense.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 02:20:37 AM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: October 03, 2014, 03:06:42 AM »
DS2: Apparently there's also coffin bobsledding.

So poking around for things I missed I find...a new fist weapon?! Finally. The Bone Fist is amazing (amaaazing). You basically have some monster's oversized hand strapped to the outside of your own. It's so fucking metal you guys. I ascetic'd the bonfire to get two* and Roberta is a proper queen of the frog-hopping mutants now (it's a natural match for the shadow set's longclaw toes). The moveset's all flying kicks and hadokens and SWEEP THE LEG. Not to mention kicking dudes off cliffs+1**. The poisebreaking is great, I can stunlock basically anything that's not a boss. Lot of wind-up or cooldown on the attacks though, so...doesn't really replace the cestus for bosses (who generally can't be stunned and will more readily exploit a moment's immobility), but fantastic for everything else.

Worth the wait.

(*which was a terrible idea because it functions exactly the same powerstanced with any other fist weapon in the opposite hand, because the powerstance attacks are actually less worthwhile than the incredible R1/R2s, because 45 DEX for powerstancing even though the scaling comes more from strength ffffff)

(**flying off cliffs after dudes kicked off cliffs also +1.)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2014, 03:08:43 AM by El Cideon »

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: October 03, 2014, 03:58:30 AM »
Wow I forgot how badly Doel mocks Albert, 300+ damage/2HKO with Rose Storm -up-

Legend of Dragoon JP-

This was like...35% boost to enemy HP and some other stat boosts, right?
...into the nightfall.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: October 03, 2014, 04:38:21 AM »
Just HP I think. I do remember Albert does not like that fight much.

Maybe.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: October 03, 2014, 07:05:42 AM »
Curtain Call:  I am reminded how jealous I am of my son.  He just busted out an All Critical on an Ultimate song the first time he played it.

ArcheAge:  Trying this out.  I have created a mighty warrior named Adray who hurls firebolts at foes, then charges into them and destroys them with a nodachi.