imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183453 times)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #2175 on: September 23, 2014, 09:36:39 AM »
Interceptor obviously.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #2176 on: September 23, 2014, 09:50:57 AM »
X-Com: I never beat this game, so time to play again. Not doing Iron Man since I'm rusty.

Enemy Unknown or Enemy Within?

Within since I picked up the bundle up on Steam when it was cheap. Figured there was no reason not to use new stuff.

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2177 on: September 23, 2014, 10:11:07 PM »
Been a while, but I'll only post what I've been playing recently-ish.

Mario Kart 8: Did this for a job, and have also played a bit with Elf/Ciato/Excal. Got to really learn the tracks as we did Time Trials and had prizes. My best times were 1:24 on N64 Rainbow Road and 2:09 on the new Rainbow Road. There is an odd delight in seeing young children and teenagers race desperately against your ghost. >_>

SSB4 Demo: Got this the same day it came out. Played it a bunch against CPU and played it a bit with Elf and Ciato. It's good times. Mario is still looking to be kinda average, but still not an intuitive character for me. Pikachu is... uhm... Pikachu. But a little better. I can't play Pikachu, however, but I'm sure Elf is happy about this. Link is looking so much better. He's got power, his moves look more fluid, and his attacks just feel better. Villager is surprisingly fun to play as. I wasn't certain what I was expecting, but Villager is quite easy to pick up and learn. And it is so satisfying to drop a tree on someone's head and watch them fly off the screen. Megaman is very unintuitive (Hello Side-Smash) but I look forward to playing him when the actual game comes out. He is fun, and he is pretty good I think.

Going to agree with Meeple on the game being a bit weird, though. It feels... different, though still like a Smash. The art is gorgeous however. And really, the biggest roadblock I have is being unable to use the L button to block and dodge and all that. Still getting it as soon as it comes out.

Chibirhythm: Curtain Call: Adorable, fun, and just all around great, minus the X-2 parts. It feels a lot like the first one, but it's much friendlier to both new players and veterans of the game, which is nice. It also has so many wonderful tracks and so many ways to unlock characters (and an easier time unlocking characters) that it's hard not to love this game. Also it has Ramza. And Agrias. And Zack from Crisis Core. HOW COULD I NOT LOVE THIS GAME 20/10 WILL PLAY FOREVER.

Prof Layton Vs. Phoenix Wright: Haven't gotten terribly far in, only on Chapter 3. Got interrupted by chibis. But it's very cute and fun, and it definitely feels like more of a Layton game than a Phoenix Wright game. Good writing, good gameplay, and unique gameplay elements get it as a 8.5/10 so far, for me. It's hard to think of ways to have a better Layton/Phoenix Game.

Civ 5: Andy made me want to play it again. Did a quick run-through as Boudicca to get a feel for the game again. Still fun. Going to try and actually play through a whole game this time, though. >_>

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2178 on: September 25, 2014, 07:59:53 AM »
Bastion - You probably haven't heard of this one, it's this weird indy game.  Luckily I will delve into the 2011 obscura so you don't have to....  wait, it sold 2 million copies?  Okay fine.

Anyway, it's good-if-strange.  Reminds me most of Threads of Fate, of all games.
The good: Great soundtrack, the gameplay is at its core fun, you can play as long or as short as you like, lots of weapon options to mess with, it's short but there's a NG+ for replay value, the challenge level has amazing customization, etc. 
Neutral: The narrator thing is...  weird, but sure it works.  I like all the contextual comments they threw in.  Still, silent protagnonist is still a bit meh, and the plot is vaguely pretentious but doesn't actually *mean* anything, kind of like the vague philosophizing Wild Arms games like to do.  Although thankfully they avoided the Chrono Cross tendency to make Our Hero screw up when he's silent - I'd have raged had the game been all "lol by silently following whatever you were told you actually brought ruin!" when there's no *option* to question your missions or anything. Also, I suppose this is a + for some, but getting 1st place in many of the weapon training courses was *extremely* difficult.  Totally optional of course, so I simply settled for 2nd place usually, but I wouldn't have minded a few mild nerfs to not require near-perfection for a 1st place run.
Bad: Okay, the counter-blocking is actually part of the "good", I loved that part of the game.  A nice skill-tester that's very rewarding when you pull it off that isn't too brutal in the timings, but isn't a get-out-of-jail free card either.  However, in the tougher mob fights later in the game, you can and will get screwed over by the auto-targeting system targeting the wrong direction so you screw up your block.  Wish there was some way to force a direction on blocks, a la the Mancer doom cannon which doesn't autotarget.  Also, why are the grind zones the hardest areas of the game in gameplay where you give away all your XP if you die?!  I mean, it's not a huge concern, turn off some shrines, but I wasted a bunch of time via not realizing I was about to enter a grind zone and going in with full idols + the wrong weapon setup, then dying after 17 waves completed.  Look, people are completionists, they're gonna want to finish a full wave for achievement / story purposes anyway, just let people keep the XP they earned before dying?  And god forbid you're bad enough at the game that you have trouble with all 20 waves with all idols off...  you can't grind then!  (okay short of turning on infinite continues mode.  so it's not really THAT bad.  but still!)  Finally, more of a nit, but WTF, why did they force the least fun weapon at the very end of the game?  The Battering Ram is lame-o, and should feel bad.

Appropriately enough, my main complaint with Threads of Fate is that the auto-targeting in that game can be a little over-strong to fix your mistakes, and it's a complaint I have about Bastion a bit!  But Bastion is better, and usually lets you switch back to the weapons you want to use while forcing you to try new things compared to ToF Rue getting basically forced by the dungeon into a new set that you have little control over.

Fun stuff.  (This has been part of SnowFire's "playing Steam games that require an XBox controller" catch-up.  Ducktales & Bastion down...  sort of...  probably Child of Light next?  We'll see.)
« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 08:03:32 AM by SnowFire »

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2179 on: September 26, 2014, 12:14:50 AM »
Curtain Call:  Wow there are a lot of Final Fantasy games that I don't give a crap about!  I mean I've never even heard of Type 0!

But on the plus side, all FF5 PCs playable.   ;D

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2180 on: September 26, 2014, 05:31:05 PM »
Curtain Call: Just got Chibi Sephiroth, now I am hacking away at getting A's on all of the BMS and SS on all of the FMS. FF8 battle songs seem to exist to mostly impede my goals, though. D:

Chrono Trigger - Crono just passed away. ;_;
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2181 on: September 26, 2014, 06:14:50 PM »
OR DID HE???!!!!!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2182 on: September 26, 2014, 06:36:30 PM »
Not after we retcon history~

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #2183 on: September 26, 2014, 08:31:09 PM »
Marvel Heroes -  Got Rogue, am playing her.  Only level 20 but so far the formula seems to be "combine the powers of Gambit, Human Torch and Dr. Doom" which results in running around shooting flames, explosions and lightning in all directions and everything fucking melts.  The spread of options available to the character are fucking enormous.  You gotten around to playing her, Captain K?

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2184 on: September 27, 2014, 01:15:52 AM »
No, been busy at work so not much time for Marvel Heroes in general recently.  She looks like she's really good at anything (that Madame Hydra passive for summoner build O_O ) but melee build is popular for raids right now.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2185 on: September 27, 2014, 02:00:06 AM »
Must be based on all stolen powers. Tried her built in punches and they all feel slow and don't hit hard enough. Tried out the power stolen from Reed though and it could be a good basis.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2186 on: September 27, 2014, 06:33:08 AM »
Almost the whole steal from enemies tree is from the raid bosses.  Apparently the go-to power for the build is Fangs of Farralah from Dr. Strange.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2187 on: September 27, 2014, 01:52:03 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: Bought this since it's on sale for $20 right now. Got my ass kicked by the first world's Kong level.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #2188 on: September 27, 2014, 02:56:26 PM »
Valkyrie profile. Playing the PS version and having a lot of fun. Makes me think of looking at the stat topic again with a more balanced weapon setup.

Curse the game for making me transfer Lucian. I had a Gram and wanted to smash more things with him.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #2189 on: September 27, 2014, 04:11:18 PM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns 3D: Bought this since it's on sale for $20 right now. Got my ass kicked by the first world's Kong level.

Strangely the first is actually one of the hardest straight-up, especially if you're still getting the hang of the timing for bouncing off of enemies.

Super Mario Bros. 3 - Played through this again. As much as I love this game I think it was the first time I'd played it in close to a decade which is kind of crazy; I was a bit rusty. World 8 was pretty brutal.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2190 on: September 28, 2014, 09:35:04 AM »
Suikoden 3 - I had forgot just how long his game can be if you do dumb shit to drag it out.  Getting people ASAP and killing treasure bosses is dumb and I shouldn't bother.  Smashing through the individual chapters early would feel less like it drags on forever. Cherry picking some recruits for Thomas and moving on would be best.  But that didn't happen.  Hugo and Thomas done, Geddoe 1 was my first chapter, doing Chris 2 now because I had forgot how little there is to Chris 1 (Chapters are always much shorter than doing any optional stuff in this game, but Chris 1 is exceptionally minimal).

Pokedudes - Black 2.  I had this sitting around unfinished with only 3 badges down.  It is possibly the best Dudes game ever thanks to that one town I just finished.  First of all the gym leader fucks around on a roller coaster just because.  Get to her there and she moves back to her Gym that is in the theme park.  It is a Catwalk where you walk down it to some Persona as fuck JPop.  There is a giant projected screen at the back of the stage that displays images of her at all times. 

Beat her and he image changes to your PC and you parade down the catwalk with her and her flunkies in step.

Here is also a Ferris wheel that you can ride once you beat the guitarist standing in front of it.  While you ride it you get to read the lines of a Pokemon themed power ballad "My ghost-typed love!  You can't feel my Normal-type touch!"

Then when ou leave town you see a dude on a motorbike being swamped by a crowd.  Heartbreaker Charles teaches you Rotation Battles.

10/10 can't wait for Gen VI remake.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2191 on: September 28, 2014, 06:15:57 PM »
Chrono Trigger - Just finished the Black Omen. Prism Specs to boost damage + Flare is gross and disgusting. Lucca has made pretty short work of the randoms. Using the damage team of doom, Lucca + Robo + Ayla. Not too much else to say, the game is an enjoyable romp and doesn't meander too much.

Theathrhythm Curtain Call - FF8 is my bane. Been hacking away at the different games, but FF8 BMSs still elude me.

Hyrule Warriors - The game is great aesthetically, has good music and the graphics are beautiful. I've only played a couple of Zeldas so I am not so familiar with all of the creatures and other references, but the game still makes enough sense. It's pretty plot light and the gameplay is a bit mindless if satisfying. I probably like Sheik the best of the people I've controlled so far.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #2192 on: September 29, 2014, 07:47:08 AM »
Theatrhythm Curtain Call- Far as I can tell, unlocked all the songs in the game and cleared everything on Ultimate, so aside from some laid back character unlocking and maybe score running to get everything above A I can say intense, hours-long play sessions are done.

So.  This game.  Did you play the original Theatrhythm?  If not just skip to this, it's got all that game's stages plus its DLC, albeit with some minor tweaks here and there.  And if you didn't finish Tr and say "wow I want more of this game and the DLC just isn't filling that need" you can probably skip this.  OTHERWISE this is basically the bestest thing.  Despite, god, tripling the character count?  More?  Getting characters isn't nearly as much of a grind because the game guarantees you a certain amount of crystals for not failing, plus you can get bonus drops and blah blah blah.  The game gives you some free crystals for rhythmia very regularly and far as I can tell reading online they raised the cap another digit and you get more free crystals every 1000 until you get them all after a point.  All the other unlocks are WAY earlier, like the last one is at 40k.  Medley Quests are much much more fun than Chaos Shrine was, and the fact that the songs there actually apply to your scores on Basic/Expert/Ultimate (if sometimes it might toss a little rotating action on you, but it's random and rare although I imagine that changes at level 90+ maps) is a change I really appreciate.  While Stoic was an interesting idea, I can't say I'm sad to see it go and scores subsequently scaling to go naturally to 10 million gives me a much better sense of how I'm doing on each stage.  The game feels a bit easier overall, I think you have a very slightly wider time frame to register hits and it makes a noticeable difference.  As well, because you have a defense stat in addition to HP now, you don't take damage nearly as fast at reasonable levels even with the frailer characters.  Airship stages are kinda dumb but I think most of the songs are middle of the road for FMS difficulty so that balances out the unnatural difficulty of the Airship mechanics a bit.

Anyway so yeah you probably noticed everything I just said was comparison between this and Tr.  There's just not enough different between the games to talk about it as anything besides a sequel and I similarly don't think it'd be proper to rate it too much higher than the original, so 8/10 it is.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 07:48:56 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2193 on: September 29, 2014, 03:36:14 PM »
Chrono Trigger - Lavos has been owned with the power of maximum Uzzi Punch and Flare. It was quite sad, really. I managed to kill both the Past form and the Future form before they got off their nasty attacks. :D

Hyrule Warriors - Just found out that Sheik was actually Princess Zelda. *hides behind pillow, gasps*

Curtain Call: Finally got an S on Crazy Chocobo. Possibly the hardest FMS in the game?

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2194 on: September 30, 2014, 01:07:30 AM »
Half Minute Hero 2:

Yeah I don't really get what happened with that one?

They just turned it into some ultra generic game. With lots more dialogue that wasn't really needed by anyone.
Super dumb RPG elements in between chapters that fail to get the point.
Time Attack is now a joke since you can equip lategame equipment to deal with early levels.

It is pleasant enough to play if you turn your brain off, but the first one just seems much stronger. Wouldn't surprise me if they changed the whole developer team for that game.

Endless mode is fun. The first thing I did was beat it (well, get to level 100) on normal and hard. Now nothing is a challenge in the main game anymrore.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2195 on: September 30, 2014, 03:26:12 PM »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2196 on: September 30, 2014, 07:21:36 PM »
You know, I'd feel worse about Gremio dying in Suikoden if he was more useful.  But he's fucking terrible so when he dies I'm rather relieved that I don't have to keep wasting a party slot on him.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2197 on: October 01, 2014, 01:07:44 PM »
Smash Bros 3DS (in glorious moonrunes) : Been playing this, it is very Smash. It doesn't lend itself to on-the-go playing as you'd think. Whenever I play it, I feel like I want to genuinely start unlocking all the game's secrets in one mad rush, but that would require a whole lot more time than the 20-30 minutes of commute I have every morning and evening.

There's also the issue of "Jesus Fuck the 3DS LL is uncomfortable after like an hour..."

That aside, the game itself kinda floored me with how much it is exactly what I wanted out of a new Smash Bros game. I think my only complaints might be the lack of Snake and Ice Climbers, and the new "break the Targets" mini-game isn't nearly as fun or creative.

Field Smash (Smash Run, I think the English version is called?) is tons of fun and I can't wait until I can play this in a room full of Smash nerds someday soon (I need a day off of work...). I still haven't figured out a 'perfect' route through the Field to maximize stat gains and equipment drops, but the equipable field items are gonna be the key to it, I'm thinking.

Having trouble figuring out who I want to Main. Since 64, I always mained Pikachu - he was fast and maneuvered well, plus "yay,RPGcharacter". But he's been nerfed pretty hard since Brawl... and I even feel like he's down compared to Melee, his weakest showing. Also, there's a lot more options since Melee. I continued to main him in Brawl since that's his unequivocally strongest appearance, but with this new roster and his weaker performance, I might be ready to move on.

In Brawl and Melee, my secondaries were Samus, Peach, Kirby, and Snake. I also started playing around a bit with Captain Falcon just as people stopped playing Brawl much anymore. Peach was my best secondary, and she seems just as powerful, if not more than her Brawl self. Kirby still feels the same, but he was a secondary of mine for a reason. Samus being unable to turn into ZS Samus midbattle kinda bugs me and takes away some options that I enjoyed in competitive play, so I'm shying away from her as well. Snake doesn't handle well AT ALL in this game, FOR SOME REASON~. Captain Falcon I still haven't actually tried out (dear god there are so many characters in this game, it's awesome).

So Peach and Pikachu are the only returning fighters I initially considered. Of the newcomers, there's A LOT I'm excited about. First off, just look at all the "yay,RPGcharacter"s there are! The FE crew, Shulk, New Pokemonz, heck, even the new Kid Icarus game has some significant JRPG stylings. (I'm still mildly sad that we got Pac-Man instead of a Tales character, but I concede he is the more important character to video game history.)

My first hope was to jump to Robin. Heck yeah, a FE main whose mechanics actually work like FE. Very cool concept. Very unique playstyle and moveset. Very difficult to actually use. She's just too light for as much damage as she needs to do to get kills - and she's not agile enough to really mitigate that lack of staying power. Palutena and Shulk have proved more competent - much heavier fighters with stronger smash attacks. I feel like Robin's limited ammo attacks are -way- too weak considering that they are inherently unreliable. Shulk's on-the-fly stat-min-maxing achieves a much more controllable version of what I think Robin (and possibly Shiek/Zelda from Melee/Brawl) were intended to do. While it can be difficult to switch up stats midbattle against a human opponent, it's just a very satisfying mechanic and allows him to counter different threats very well. Lots of damage and your opponent has strong smashes? Switch to the defense monado mode and now your staying power just tripled! Fighting a slow and damaging opponent? Speed mode or percent damage mode for exploiting his weaknesses.

So I'm leaning towards Shulk as my new Main, but despite how fun he is, I find myself doing much better when I'm using other characters I don't even care about. Link, Bowser, and Peach just feel like Easy Mode compared to trying to use most of the characters I -want- to use. I might've mained Palutena, but since I'm 100% positive that Meeple will main her, I feel like I should just have her as a secondary to avoid Meeple-mirror-matches when we inevitably smashdown.

Also, my opinions on customizable moves because that's the popular thing to do:
-Yes, they are kind of obnoxious to unlock them all.
-No, I don't think that's a bad design choice overall. When I played the previous games, I LOVED unlocking stuff and I feel like it's good that they put more stuff to unlock in for the people who have the time to play more of the game. And hey, they even made it optional stuff! But... it's not great for me since as mentioned, my play time is limited.
-Yes, I like the customizable moves. Pikachu's in particular feel like they put him back into his Brawl-level self. With customizable moves though, I feel like Mii Fighter might be the most broken thing...
-Yes, I'd like to see them in competitive play. I think it kinda sucks that you can't use them in Classic and All-Star modes, though I can appreciate that it was done for balance and for making them optional enough that casuals shouldn't feel the need to collect them all.

Final thoughts: I still want Simon from Castlevania.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2198 on: October 01, 2014, 04:34:07 PM »
Hyrule Warriors - Woah, the game makes a attempt at giving Link a character flaw! Arrogance in the face of having a super weapon! That was unexpected. Also, finally got to play as Zelda once she decided to not be Sheik anymore (the whole Sheik thing is played closer to an inside joke that the game shares with the players than any real secret). Zelda's quite enjoyable to play as, the stabby stabby / light arrow combinations can be quite fluid and fun. Now I've played as all of the PCs except for Darunia. My favorite is probably Sheik, Impa, or Zelda and my least favorite was Midna. Lana, the original character, is also quite fun to play as, particularly with her spear.

*spoilers, I guess, if you care about HW spoilers*

Then the game pulls a fake ending, and you get to play as Ganondorf for three maps. Amusingly, you get all of the stuff from the good guys available to use, including their money to level Ganondorf up. I didn't level him before he had accumulated money; it just didn't feel right. As a result, the first map was a bitch. We fought against the first three bosses of the game in the other path. Your objective was to kill him before they reunited and inevitably kicked your ass (letting them reunite, while not technically a lose condition, may as well have been). The love is not there between Ganon and his minions; he mostly mocks them for being incompetent. Other two maps were against the allies; Link is a surprisingly terrible boss, while Zelda was quite competent. One wonders why Link isn't the one always kidnapped.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 04:39:19 PM by Luther Lansfeld »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2199 on: October 02, 2014, 12:37:08 AM »
Megami Tensei 1:
As a kid first person dungeon like in Phantasy Star always seemed super scary, impossible, seemingly infinite, with tons of arcane shit I couldn't possibly deal with.

The Sea of Flames in Megami Tensei 1 is that!
- Super long first person dungeon
- Taking damage every step (It IS a sea of flame)
- Enemies that can petrify (Only the main female can unpetrify in my team and her MP is really badly needed for healing / teleporting) If she gets petrified, LOL
- Enemeis that can paralyze (Same as petrify)
- Enemies that can level down (permanent, super mean)
- I also have to figure out where to go...

Summoned demons seem to have very little defense compared to humans, so a basic strategy would be to put humans on the first row, but then they become more subject to status... Whatever you choose, you feel like losing.

Nuclear Throne: Beat with crystal. EZ. She had a golden laser pistol, which works wonderfully with a good shotgun.

Half Minute Hero the Second Coming: I have to appreciate how you can loan money from a company in game and it is the absolute worst idea you could think of. Don't do it you are never going to get out of this debt.
I got tired of ally skills activating in battle so I got rid of them all. (the allies) Game is still dead easy of course.
Skills are the best examples of the kind of dumb additions the sequel added. They're not interesting, they're not useful, and they take too long.