Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183454 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1825 on: July 23, 2014, 01:09:34 AM »
Walk down road.  Talk to guy.  Start Mini game.  Miss cutscene with someone at other end of road that starts same mini game. 

Impossible to get 100%.

FFX-2/10
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1826 on: July 23, 2014, 02:42:07 AM »
FE13- Started. Saw that FE finally made casual mode a thing. Nearly cried tears of joy, because fuck classic mode forever.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1827 on: July 23, 2014, 06:33:00 AM »
Dark Souls 2: Oh right there's DLC today. I don't actually have any characters on NG anymore but whatevs, the true Dark Souls 2 is NG+, right? (Sadly this is pretty much true.) So let's go punch some dudes. ...Oh game, if you wanted me to bring an archer instead, you should've just said so. Okay finally I give in and go build Roberta a quality bow. Geez fine. Anyway stuff:

-Shulva's a pretty cool zone, you walk in and immediately get the kind of nice, sweeping panoramic view that the base game's areas mostly lacked. It's very reminiscent of Oolacile, lots of verticality at work in a manner DS2's zones mostly failed to capitalize on. The level design is great in that classic DS1 way of immediately giving you a strong sense just from the first glimpse of where you're headed and just leaving you wondering how to get there.
-Acquired totally bitching S-DEX whip-sword. I want to powerstance this thing so bad. But I never fucking want to play through the base game again so that's not happening. (And it's an iron chest so no ascetic cheese.) It's super-cool but seriously you guys I'm sticking with the fisting here (and occasionally machinegunning because BUG).
-Wait a minute, that phantom looks too tall to be a player--OHSHIRT
-Dragon Sanctum is a bag of dicks.
-I found a ring that boosts your attack power if you're lightly dressed. Hey guys guess what all Cid characters have in common. (I mean apart from owning a vagina.) It's quite fragile but still, *glomp*.
-Jester Thomas I thought we were bros!
-I still haven't found a boss, but seriously these phantoms are beastly. I still haven't been able to kill spoilers up there. Actually I've been dying an awful lot in general. Already had to warp back home a couple times to repair my massive collection of insurance rings!

Oh and apparently there's a bonus item for logging in on launch day and raiding the Majula mansion chest. Excitement, what could this special prize be?!

...I got a murakumo.
« Last Edit: July 23, 2014, 06:39:25 AM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1828 on: July 23, 2014, 08:06:42 AM »
Ugh, I didn't even know there was DLC and yet... I don't want it.  Bleh.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1829 on: July 23, 2014, 10:08:22 AM »
Fudo are you ready to point on the doll to where From Software touched you.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1830 on: July 23, 2014, 10:48:54 AM »
Fudo, are you the doll that people keep touching?

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1831 on: July 23, 2014, 11:35:58 AM »
NOTHING HAPPENED OKAY.
*sobs*
EVERYTHING IS PERFECTLY FINE
*covers face*
I AM A-OK!
*looks away*
THERE WAS NO ABUSE HERE NO SIR
*breaks down in tears*

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1832 on: July 23, 2014, 11:47:46 AM »
If to was abuse we would see it in your eyes.  If anything happened you just have swallowed and that indicates consent.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1833 on: July 23, 2014, 01:46:29 PM »
Walk down road.  Talk to guy.  Start Mini game.  Miss cutscene with someone at other end of road that starts same mini game. 

Impossible to get 100%.

FFX-2/10

Is that the Minerva related one?  Because I remember that and going "really game? You're going to be that meticulous?"

Bravely Default: No Merchants were harmed in the last session of playing this game; same cannot be said for animals, particularly the undead kind...especially by Merchants.    I also might have talked to a UOM.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1834 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:47 PM »
NOTHING HAPPENED OKAY.
*sobs*
EVERYTHING IS PERFECTLY FINE
*covers face*
I AM A-OK!
*looks away*
THERE WAS NO ABUSE HERE NO SIR
*breaks down in tears*

Isn't that the normal reaction to playing Dark Souls though?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1835 on: July 23, 2014, 04:25:17 PM »
Look I can take being flattened trying to bare-hand parry-riposte Havel in 1, but I just can't take 2's crap.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1836 on: July 23, 2014, 06:03:04 PM »
Oh no! Why'd you give up on Trails? :( :'(

It has some character work / plotting issues which I find bothersome and the rest of its plot didn't really do it me. Gameplay is alright but it's not really a game carrier on its own; too easy and a bit repetitive. The game reminds me of a more modern Grandia 1, which certainly has its appeal to some but I'll note I never finished Grandia 1 either.

(And it's not bad enough to hate-finish like FF2.)
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1837 on: July 23, 2014, 10:15:34 PM »
It was about following a cart with luggage that you need to keep form bandits attacking.  You can talk to the guy near the cart and start the mini game, but you get some completion percentage from talking with the guy that wants you to go find the cart and bring it back.  It is a cutscenes of no importance at all but is apparently super important.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1838 on: July 24, 2014, 03:11:26 AM »
DS2: Whup, that's that. Yeah, it's basically one huge zone + a couple other bosses tucked away in side areas. This is fine since Shulva's more engrossing than almost all of the base game's areas. Leans too heavily on the green x gray color scheme the game is deeply enamored of, but the architecture's certainly cool. You do run all that way basically just to activate an elevator, though. Stuff!

-I did actually run all the boss fights with support. They're all pretty mean. Elana doesn't look too bad at first but then Summon Bigger Fish Velstadt kicks in. God why did you think I wanted to deal with that hitbox again game.
-Another chance for Benhart to be useless!
-I cut off the dragon's tail but got nothing for it (except I guess him not being able to hit me with it anymore).
-By the way, the Not!Traitor summon for that fight is pretty boss. Actually heals when she needs it! (Unlike some other people, looking your way here Belleclaire.)
-A Havel by any other name is just as much of a dick.
-The new boss soul weapons look pretty unspecial (although I guess most of them are). I don't even know if they can turn into spells because I'm too stupid for Straid to talk to me on this file. Anyway one of them gave me a fabulous skirt so you know I'm happy.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1839 on: July 24, 2014, 10:13:54 AM »
Given that your reward for getting 100% is both nonsensical (talking to everyone in the world = happiness!) and kinda pisses on FFX's ending, I can't say I disapprove of anything which makes it less likely that the player gets it.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1840 on: July 24, 2014, 02:06:10 PM »
It was about following a cart with luggage that you need to keep form bandits attacking.  You can talk to the guy near the cart and start the mini game, but you get some completion percentage from talking with the guy that wants you to go find the cart and bring it back.  It is a cutscenes of no importance at all but is apparently super important.

Yeah, I failed that too.  Prime example of the game dicking you around and how would you figure that out without an FAQ?  You'd find it via talking to the guy in first playthrough, and replay, you'd just assume "This guy needs to be talked to in order to trigger the quest!" because that's how these things usually work.  NOPE! You need to randomly assume "You can do this without talking to the guy!"

Anyway...

BD: I walked into a forest and the game decided to shout at me "CHAPTER 1 IS OVER! CHAPTER 2 STARTS NOW! DO YOU NOT UNDERSTAND!? TO PROVE THIS FURTHER, HERE'S A CUTSCENE WITH THE VILLAIN!"   That could have been done slightly more elegantly, I'm sure...

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1841 on: July 25, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
FE13: Puttering through Donnel's recruitment map right now. Doing the map for the items rather than the PC, as Donnel looks like total bench bait. (He joins the slow Cav, the armored dude, Frederick, and that Archer with appallingly bad stats)
-------------------

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1842 on: July 25, 2014, 02:09:45 PM »
DQ6 - I am up to Arkbolt.  This is where I got up to it on the SNES version forever ago.  It is enjoyable enough fluff DQ nonsense.  Better than DQ4, worse Job system than any FF game though.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1843 on: July 25, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
Dark Souls: Finished moving, therefore this. Beat the 4 Kings. Had to change up my magic loadout to have enough damage to take them down, but once I did and got a hold of dodging their attack patterns (since I couldn't just shieldretard my way through them this time) they went down EZPZ. Dark Wraithe covenant GET... except I still don't have home internet so it's kind of a hollow achievement right now.

get it

hollow

because why spend humanity since i can't pvp

is funny

I've totally forgotten what bosses I have beaten which has lead to me wandering around like an idiot a lot. Probably gonna take out Seath next.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1844 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:59 PM »
Eviltype - Finishing up the World of Balance! Fun fun fun.

Esper Mountain - No real issues with the randoms here, probe for the status holes and exploit 'em when possible. I don't have a good team for taking down the Mandrakes but I'm able to slowly grind them down.

Thamasa Kefka - Uh does Fire 3 OHKO? Looked like it might, extrapolating things. That's kind of bullshit if so, since I'm underlevelled but not THAT much and having to redo that entire cutscene would be lame. (Then again, maybe you're allowed to lose that fight? Not sure.) Anyway MEvade kicked in both times Fire 3 got used.

I settle on a Celes/Gau/Mog team here. Celes I use partly because I just like her, partly because I want her to be very strong on spell arsenal for the start of the WoR. Mog I use because he still has 2 extra levels and those help, plus Dance has some really good stuff in this section (also he already knows Safe/Shell). Gau ends up getting chosen because he has the best-built up spell arsenal so far (Rasp/Osmose, Sleep/Mute/Berserk/Slow, etc.), narrowly beating out Edgar. Rage isn't very useful in this upcoming section though (especially since I'm also running Mog) so not sure if I chose right, but oh well.

Spit Fires and Sky Armour gauntlet - 2 resets. They can get the drop on you so it's kinda RNG-reliant, not much you can do about back hits and Absolute Zero really hurts. It's usually possible to recover, especially since the threats can be neutralised pretty quickly (Sleep works on Spit Fires, Muddle on Sky Armours... didn't think to try Shaot but it might work too, dunno). Also with two Earrings and a Magus Hat, Mog can one-shot both Sky Armours (and seriously hurt the Spit Fire) with Wind Slash which comes up almost half the time off Wind Song, pretty great!

Ultros 4 and Chupon - Slow rules. Safe/Shell/Haste rule. I fight this slowly and methodically. When Chupon shows up he gets hammered with Ice 2 until he dies. Ultros has a lot of offence (and it gets worse when Chupon shows up) but slowing both gives me time to recover regardless of what they do.

Air Force - 1 reset. Sooo if Missile Bay uses Launcher (MT gravity) followed immediately by Diffuser from the Laser Gun, really bad things happen. I barely survive it once, but then he proves it's not a fluke by using it a second time. Bad luck or design, I'm not sure! Anyway, past that, the battle presents a few problems, such as slow immunity and the fact that if I kill the Laser Gun, he'll fire off WaveCannon, which at my levels is MT OHKO (Mog might survive with Shell, but FF6 revival is bad enough that this really isn't an option).

Anyway, Safe/Shell to turtle as usual (ZoneSeek helps since Air Force gets on you fast), be ready to heal after Launcher, and the second time I know to MP bust the Laser Gun as fast as possible. Neither it nor Air Force itself have great MP so taking out both of their offence this way helps a lot, as does Golem to block the Air Force's relatively nasty physicals during this key section of the fight. Once those two are controlled I can kill the Missile Bay and then chip away at Air Force itself (Celes' Bolt 2 leads the way). I toss in Water Rondo because why not, though I do toss an X-Potion on the Laser Gun at one point!

Floating Continent - No resets here, which is kind of amazing... I do have a couple near misses though (in particular, Ninjas MT 2HKO although Shadow resists two of their elements with Memento Ring). That said, a Back Guard can prevent ambushes, and everything can be run from (including Ninjas, thank heavens, since there -would- have been resets if their Can't Run flag had been left unchanged from vanilla) if things get too hairy. Beyond that, it's scan and experiment with status options. Shoat claims a decent number of the weaker enemies here, Rasp can quickly deal with certain others, Berserk is a great status, Sleep/Stop have their moments in the sun too, as do Poison and Earth Blues' random gravity.

Gigantos - His damage is imposing and he no longer fears Vanish. Fortunately he still fears Berserk. It feels weird to berserk a pure fighter, but when his damage is coming from multi-acting, high multipliers, and counters, it actually works extremely well.

AtmaWeapon - He has ST OHKO at full HP, but he is vulnerable to both Slow and Rasp and is a limit boss whose limit I don't see, I don't have much to say here.

Naughties - Fire 2 + Bomb rage + Earth Blues, although Sonic Boom missing kinda sucks so maybe Earth Blues isn't the way to go here (but Mog doesn't have any L2 spells).

Nerapa - Carbunkle then bounce some Ice 2 spells.

Didn't get the X-Potion, in large part because I somehow had all my Sprint Shoes equipped on people not currently in the party. No big. Shadow saved, onto the WoR.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1845 on: July 25, 2014, 10:41:52 PM »
Bravely Default: I killed a little girl and an adult girl, and now can use their powers.  Does this make me a bad person?  Oh yeah, Agnes just proved she will never fulfill Ringabel's wishes of dressing like someone from FF10-2...please ignore how her Spellblade outfit when considering this...

Wind Waker HD: started this up, just got to Dragon Roost Island.  Not much to say other than hunting for the sale was a pain in the ass and caused a great sin in the process:
Made me interact with Tingle.

Crisis Core Expert Mode: Zack just fell to Sector 5.  Yay, Healing Wave DMW happens now!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1846 on: July 26, 2014, 12:12:31 AM »
Oh yeah, Agnes just proved she will never fulfill Ringabel's wishes of dressing like someone from FF10-2...please ignore how her Spellblade outfit when considering this...

There is actually a skit on the very topic of Ringabel & Spell Fencer outfits.  One of the rare worthwhile ones in the game.  (Most are sadly pretty boring.)

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1847 on: July 26, 2014, 03:45:51 AM »
FFX-2: Fought Yojimbo after a long dungeon. He used HP -> 1 + Dog attack right after.
Fuck dogs officially now.

I then went to play Sphere Break (The NEW Triple Triad) and it is breaking all verisimilitude.
In FFX-2.

- It's supposed to be a competitive game but it has no competitive elements. It's purely a solo game with no interaction against your opponent. Maybe beat their high score? It's like a solitaire competition. It makes sense.

- It's all "Math! FUN WITH MULTIPLIERS!!!"

and it's supposed to be this giant thing everybody loves. The fuck? No.
FFX-2 might have fantasy elements like dragons and Sin and Seymour's hair, but a math game being ultra popular? You have to draw the line somewhere.

Anyway I h4x math so I easily got the Gift from Nerdy Programmers to Math Nerds, which is one of the most fanservice-y dresspheres. (Obviously)

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1848 on: July 26, 2014, 07:39:57 AM »
ToV: Finished. Loved the cast. Easily the best of any Tales game. Totally carries it through the weaker parts of the game. Everyone contributes in awesome ways. The game... should have ended up better than it did. It had so much going for it then... hard to put my finger on it.

The beginning of the game builds on itself very well. Each event flows into the next pretty well, and well paced at that. It unfolds plot points decently and leaves the right things in the dark. But... it starts going off the rails, relying more and more on coincidence to keep the plot tight until it's just sort of silly, and not in the usual Tales way either. And the villains... don't help. Good ol' babyeaters. I actually kinda dug the Alexei reveal, even if I didn't like the character. Needed just a liiiittle more buildup.

I like the reveal because Alexei at least understands the concept of "Never interrupt your enemy in the middle of making a mistake." He knows what you're going around and doing, and after confirming that you're actually helping his goals, he sees fit not to meddle and lets you go on your merry way. It's Jaeger of the incomprehensible agenda that screws around. Plus the game is good about giving just enough clues to hint that Alexei is behind things without being completely unsubtle and in your face about it. So Alexei's sudden turnaround was expected. Just... wow, that was abrupt. I had begun wondering when the shoe would drop, and BAM, not only do they do the reveal, but Alexei basically lays all his cards on the table at once. The Alexei's goals are pretty dumb though. He's not really great when he's on the screen.

Duke is pretty bad too. He was relatively well used up until he had to become the requisite Tales final. Felt kinda pointless and drags out the game. In all, the sharp downward arc the story takes after the mid-point and the weakness of the villain cast takes a potential 8-9/10 game and turns it into a 7/10 one. Kinda surprised at the lack of post-final scenes, but the pictures during the credits worked well enough.

Dragon's Crown: Finished Hard mode with Amazon. Flip2Win and Spin2Win. Good challenge in the final here. Definitely more difficult than the Normal final. Really liked the game, but couldn't picture myself playing more, even with other classes available. Overall well put together game though. Was fun while it lasted. Just a little too repetitive to play a mode again.

Started Star Ocean 4 in the meantime.

superaielman

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1849 on: July 26, 2014, 03:49:01 PM »
FE13- Just beat Gangrel. It's an FE game. I loathe the ninja reinforcements and like a lot of the polish touches the series had added since 10. Gangrel got OHKOed by Sully, about what you'd expect. I've skipped 99% of the game's plot so that gets an N/A. Paired up Sumia/Chrom and Vaike/Lissa.
-------------------