Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183456 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #1450 on: May 26, 2014, 12:53:49 AM »
Duck Tales Remastered - Beat the game on Extreme. The game's pretty much officially my bitch. That said... man, what a well-done remake. The redone music is excellent, the overall design is highly faithful to the original and the controls are a joy. Scrooge controls amazingly well - mobile both vertically and horizontally and allows for a highly precise maneuverability. It's pretty much amazing.

I also like the boss fights in general, with their generally interesting patterns and good balance between making you wait for chances to crack at the boss and overall slugging, though some are better than others: the Abominable Snow Woman is pretty much my favorite boss fight in the game, requiring both reflexes and a slight degree of aiming, while the Giant Moon Rat is my least favorite, with its overly simplistic dodge patterns. Magica de Spell's a runner up - in spite of being ultimately a bit easy, her patterns are really fun to deal with. Glad I got this game, though all that's left to do with it now is stuff like beating it without losing lives or without heart upgrades. We'll see about that eventually.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1451 on: May 26, 2014, 01:58:17 AM »
Don't forget to swim in the money pool for 3 hours!  If you aren't doing that, there's really no point in buying the game.

Kingdom Hearts 3D: Beat the 3 Musketeers World.  yay for having Pete and being legitimately very different between Sora and Riku, rather than rehashes like most of the others.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1452 on: May 26, 2014, 02:40:58 AM »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Reiska

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1453 on: May 26, 2014, 07:42:24 AM »
Pokemon Flawless Platinum:  Decided to start over (since I was still early) and go with a different starter choice after some thought.  So Turtwig it is, alright.  The changes to him in the hack are minor, a little bit of HP and Attack gain bringing him up to 545 BST.  Beat Barry this time.  A little girl in the route south of Sandgem Town or whatever gives me an egg.  My first stop is Lake Verity; the wilds here consist of most of the baby pokemon, and I went for a Cleffa.  First one I caught was Modest with Magic Guard; perfect for what I usually run Clefable for (though -Attack is unfortunate for actually leveling the thing before I get TMs).  If the hacker made Life Orb available in main game she will be a monster with it.

Started moving along.  The trainers are surprisingly competent for early game; one youngster even switches on me for type advantage.  Picked up a Zubat as well along the way (Mild, Inner Focus).  Zubat has some rather interesting special movepool options, so that's not all bad.  The hack's only change to the evolution line of note is that Crobat's evolution is now level-based (at 40) and it can have Anticipation as an ability.  Got the Poketch in Jubilife (the hacker changed the questions asked by the clowns to expose some hack changes, which is a nice touch).  I fight a couple junk trainers on Route 204 for exp and learn that low-level Abra have Hidden Power now.  Also a nice touch, pokemon without attacks at level 1 are dumb.

Moving along, I face (and rather easily win) the second Barry fight - he was packing a single Potion this time - and shortly after, the little girl's egg hatches to reveal Manaphy.  Oh my.

Edit: Fastforward a bit.  Now have one badge, Roark took two tries to beat.  I'm definitely in for a challenge here: while Gym Leader teams retain their type themes, they are very much specced like competitive teams in this hack's challenge mode (6 pokemon, hold items all around).  For a sample, this is what Roark fielded:

Omanyte -Lv.13-Focus Sash -Stealth Rock, Water Gun, Withdraw, AncientPower
Kabuto-Lv.13-Big Root-Stealth Rock, Scratch, Absorb, Harden
Lileep-Lv.13-Petaya Berry-AncientPower, Grass Knot, Acid, Recover
Anorith-Lv.13-Zoom Lens-Fury Cutter, Harden, Dig, Rock Tomb
Cranidos-Lv.14-Liechi Berry-Headbutt, Leer, Focus Energy, Pursuit
Larvitar-Lv.15-Quick Claw-Bite, Sandstorm, Screech, Rock Slide

Nothing Manaphy couldn't handle after two Tail Glows and then Bubble spam to sweep, at least.  Stealth Rock would have been a problem if I'd gotten in a situation where a switch would have been necessary, Omanyte's build more or less ensures he gets it off.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2014, 01:13:38 PM by Reiska »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1454 on: May 26, 2014, 08:20:40 PM »
Lightning Returns: I finally decided to start this game, just beat the prologue because that's often how I do these things for some reason (play prologue, even if it's short -> stop playing.)

My first impressions?

Gameplay: Ok, so it's an ARPG without actually being an ARPG...I'm not sure I'm fond of this.  Why can't they just do what Crisis Core did?  It got the same point across but simplified with less menu mess on the bottom!  I guess I'm judging too early, but it feels like a streamlined ARPG, and I'm not sure I dig that, because, again, Crisis Core sort of did the same thing but felt more engaging, and less buttom mash-y.

Plot: Ok, ignoring the cluster **** action sequence beginning, here's what I've got:
A female protagonist sent by the gods to save a world that is inevitably going to die in a short amount of time.  Said female protagonist wields a sword, and has not much in the way of emotions.  Also said God is the SUPREME GOD, who let's face it, is going to either be the main villain or the "ultimate" villain (no, I haven't read spoilers, but after reading the Datalog, they pretty much put a huge "THIS IS THE FINAL BOSS!" sign on him, despite trying their best to pretend he's not.  I'll be legitimately shocked if he's not the final boss.)  Oh, and it seems "Saving" is synonymous with "Pull soul of person's body effectively killing them" making people not want to immediately "be saved."  Also, sounds like the game is less linear and more mission based in terms of plot development too, as well as being "World Driven."

You know, sounds kind of original...I could dig this idea...OH WAIT:

...yeah, unless the game makes a huge left turn from the direction it's currently taking, it's freaking Valkyrie Profile but with Toriyama's paint job on it, so Lenneth becomes Lightning, the Norse setting becomes Cyber Dystopia, and Freya's Divine Phases are replaced with Hope and a super computer.  Sorry if I sound negative, but all the parallels just kept popping up.

Then again, I suppose it's only logical this game is Valkyrie Profile considering what they did to Lightning in the previous game, design wise, and the usage of Valhalla there.

Characters: Ok, so Lightning = Lenneth, except without the charisma Lenneth had.  I like Lightning in FF13 mind you (her role in FF13-2 is too minor to gauge beyond "All style, no substance"), but they're trying to treat her as someone she's not...a character I like more than Lightning at that!  Snow is emo...I get it, it's 500 years later, so that could change a man, but damn it, DON'T GIVE US EMO SNOW!  Hopefully they actually answer the question of what the hell Snow was doing in FF13-2, because they kind of left that in the dark (He's running around, as a l'Cie, doing...?)  And Lumina...ok, on one hand, it is nice to see an energetic, happy go lucky antagonistic character...on the otherhand, they gave her way too much personality.  Like even when she's talking to herself, she's giving way too many vibes of "^_^!!!!!!" I dunno; feels like they were aiming for a Joker-esque "Despite being the villain, she lightens up every scene she's in by stealing it!" but considering how much insanity is going on in the opening, she sort of falls short at the scene stealing, and instead her bright personality is just a real whiplash compared to "THIS IS SERIOUS STUFF YO!" opening, and not in a way that compliments the game.

Hopefully the game improves after the prologue, but it's not giving a good first impression.  As a reminder, I like FF13 and FF13-2, so I don't want the finale to end up sucking but...*shrugs*

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1455 on: May 27, 2014, 02:13:41 PM »
Lost Odyssey- Fin.  Good lord the endgame just goes on and on in this game.

In the end I think Lost odyssey reminds me of a weird cross between Legend of Dragoon and Legaia 2.  there's a really good game with rock solid ideas here that just never comes together and expresses itself.  While both those games manage to have more interesting enemy design and higher overall fun factor than LO, LO has two big things going for it that bring it up to respectable levels on the non-gameplay side.

Presumably anyone who gives a shit about this post knows what those two things are, so moving on.

All things considered I more or less spent the whole game after the intro settled on it being in the 7/10 range, and despite the last disc being about 10 hours longer than I wanted it to be I don't think it lost any points in the end. 
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1456 on: May 27, 2014, 06:01:57 PM »
Super Metroid - Finished! It's a really fun game which I wished I'd discovered in the SNES days. May tackle Metroid Fusion next in the series.

FF13 - Decided to finish my playthrough, crushed the final boss~

Kirby's Adventure - At World 3 right now. This game is uber-fluff.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1457 on: May 27, 2014, 10:02:34 PM »
Lost Odyssey- Fin.  Good lord the endgame just goes on and on in this game.

In the end I think Lost odyssey reminds me of a weird cross between Legend of Dragoon and Legaia 2.  there's a really good game with rock solid ideas here that just never comes together and expresses itself.  While both those games manage to have more interesting enemy design and higher overall fun factor than LO, LO has two big things going for it that bring it up to respectable levels on the non-gameplay side.

Presumably anyone who gives a shit about this post knows what those two things are, so moving on.

I played this like 2 years ago and really have no idea what you're talking about.
Except the dreams obv.
Maybe the OST? Can't remember any track, it was fairly boring/bland or annoying Uematsu IIRC
Graphics? Scenery could be pretty cool I guess but the character design ruined everything
Can't possibly be the story or characters

Edit: Shit I forgot to post creepy Dark Souls vids

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5zB3lzEEco
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ow-mNgNBawI
« Last Edit: May 27, 2014, 10:11:40 PM by Fenrir »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1458 on: May 27, 2014, 10:11:08 PM »
I assume it is amazing boots.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1459 on: May 27, 2014, 10:15:14 PM »
Whose boots?

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1460 on: May 27, 2014, 10:28:30 PM »
I figured he meant Jansen Antics.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1462 on: May 27, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »
Okay yes.
Definitely.

I hope Cmdr doesn't post again or he'd ruin this.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1463 on: May 28, 2014, 12:02:55 AM »
well I have to post again eventually, but certainly I'll ignore this stuff.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1465 on: May 28, 2014, 12:08:56 AM »
I'd certainly have assumed the soundtrack myself; thought it was pretty great. But if it's something else I'd certainly like to hear about it! :)

Definitely liked LO the least of those three games myself though I won't defend Legaia 2 vs. it too hard. Ultimately the things I liked most about LO are just too divorced from the game's core.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1466 on: May 28, 2014, 12:09:10 AM »
Guys I think he's talking about that one character's double thong

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1467 on: May 28, 2014, 12:30:19 AM »
I don't know why I want to do it melee Cid. Magic just feels kind of boring. Will do it if I fail too many times. I'm done with the Murakumo for now, it's too stupid. I'll try getting something that sounds almost as equally dangerous to get at the beginning of the game instead; the Great Scythe.

Great Scythe is legitimately decent in DS1 since you get good reach without the crazy hitbox shenanigans (it isn't fast enough for bleed to ever matter, though). I ran it divine when I played a cleric and it turned out pretty well. Good scaling as a normal weapon too. Good luck getting it without dying, though. Start cleric with master key, grab Astora Straight Sword to make shutting down the skellies easier maybe?

Dhyerwolf

• Mod Board Access
  • Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
« Reply #1468 on: May 28, 2014, 02:36:41 AM »
Guys I think he's talking about that one character's double thong

Just what I was going to post...

Or the hammer pants.
...into the nightfall.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1469 on: May 28, 2014, 03:57:38 AM »
...moving us away from Lost Odyssey fashion sense because seriously guys...

Metroid Fusion: Just got Varia suit!  I will never try to fight my way through those Ice spots before getting this again because that's clearly suicide.

KH3D: Just beat Fantasia World.  Riku continues to be awesome, Sora continues to be completely useless.  Also, Spellican can go burn in the pits of Eternal Brahne.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1470 on: May 28, 2014, 05:15:13 PM »
Defense Grid 2- Been playing the beta a little. I really need an upgrade to my computer for this game, I think.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1471 on: May 28, 2014, 11:29:25 PM »
Rondo of Swords:

So yeah, the LP of this is really good: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3546224

Playing along. I had originally played the game about 6 or so years ago when it came out and finally succumbed to its lack of documentation about a 1/3 of the way through. I had rather enjoyed its story and character work the whole way, so I was pretty disappointed that it became unbeatable with my suboptimal team and complete lack of understanding of how do simple things like buying items....

But with all the new documentation available online from the past 6 years and this wonderful masochist of an LPer, I can now play the game as intended. And it's pretty fun (except for checking spell ranges on enemies for placement). Still only like a 4/10 game at best, even with me highly enjoying its story. But kind of a worthwhile read. Play at your own risk. Unless you're super, he should play this every day.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1472 on: May 29, 2014, 03:54:07 AM »
Kirby Anniversary collection: Went and beat Kirby Adventure on Extra mode.  Why wait til then?  Because reasons.

Then finished off the challenges.  The challenges can be summed up as "demo for Return to Dreamland" but that's not a bad thing; it's a nice little extra perk on top of getting 6 older games, soundtrack, and a series retrospective.

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #1473 on: May 29, 2014, 04:16:08 AM »
Bioshock Infinite:

Holy shit that was stupid. At least the Luteces are entertaining?

All and all... a good game for 7 bucks but I would be piiiiiiiiissed if I paid full retail.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1474 on: May 30, 2014, 02:00:05 AM »
Roguesouls: 25 or so tries, haven't made it past Blight town yet.

Great Scythe = nope.
Good plan Cid, but it's not worth trading the Tiny Being Ring and having Cleric starting stats for this weapon.

Sorcerers are definitely way better than melee users, but there's no variety.
I'm already really tired of the lack of options at the beginning, and of the backtracking in the Undead Burg. Dark Souls 2 and Demon's Souls were way more fun as challenges.