Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183643 times)

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #850 on: April 01, 2014, 02:18:33 PM »
Is that the Dual Shields+that mastery skill that costs 2 BP setup, Pyro? I'll have to finish up the class on Tiz and see if that's remotely good. But generally, unless you're landing multiple attacks with your BP-spending offense post Dark Knight mastery, you're not impressing me too overly much. Bushido+Piracy synergy also plays into it to a degree - it's almost as degenerate as Sword Magic+Dark Arts.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: April 01, 2014, 03:36:37 PM »
Getting an offensive spike near the game's end doesn't mean we have to forget about someone's offensive woes for the rest of the game.

Also if you have PC def stats higher than atk you're doing something wrong, probably not using Love Power enough (... although even if you don't, Dark Nebula sometimes kicks off Adversity, which... yeah, it really didn't need to). Fortunately, three Dark Shields + Spirit Ward on the attacker = gg. Although in fairness, Dark Nebula is so broken you can probably get away with lowering your atk significantly for randoms, to the point where Pyro's suggestion may have some merit there if random HP doesn't spike notably late. Seems more difficult than just using dark immunity, though (or absorption, if you're a horrible person).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: April 01, 2014, 04:10:37 PM »
Knight's Stomp works well enough throughout the game on a class with nice defensive skills. Obviously it calls out for synergy, but most things do.

I meant for a stat topic. Knight should be competent at offense (capable of a ORKO) with the added bonus of perfect def.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: April 01, 2014, 05:45:40 PM »
Stomp is sorta nice, though I honestly don't really like the Defense debuffing much. I mostly left that class in the dust once I got Ranger, since 8 MP is a really trivial cost for a 1.25 attack skill (running off an S in one of the best weapon types midgame) and I tend to run offense rather than defense on people who aren't running healer/support duty. Which is to say I got Shield Lore for Agnés and later Armor Lore so she'd be a death tank healer.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: April 01, 2014, 06:30:27 PM »
Bravely Default: Nearing the end of C2.  Fun times!

Re the comments earlier, the conversation with Mephilia doesn't change tons by killing Artemia first.  It's basically exactly the same, except she adds in at the beginning something along the lines of "I hear you killed my sister", and toward the end of the conversation the party members say something along the lines of "She's gone batshit crazy, just like Artemia."  [With both her journal & the character write-up confirming she wasn't totally insane before huffing fairy wings en masse.]

Anyway, the dress-up + Radiant Flower Festival plot point were handled like I hoped rather than as I feared, so there's that, yay.  Took on Mephilia again post Mt. Fragmentum, was still an awesome fight but now winnable.  I like how she isn't THAT durable, but she's durable enough to unload her tricks, and letting her live too long WILL get you killed.

Einheria...  wasn't too bad, actually, fought her with only a slight gain in levels / equipment off Mephilia, and beat her on the first attempt.  (Formations of 2 D'gons in her dungeon were scarier, actually!  Brave->2x 1300 damage Fireballs, RUN)  She's got great damage in theory, including an MT near-OHKO in Crescent Moon, but she has no answer to relentless Default spam.  So yeah, play it safe, and she can't really kill you.  Thought it was kinda weird that the party didn't see fit to mention to her in the pre-battle dialogue the delicate issue with her sisters, though.  "Hey, heads up.  We had to put down your sisters because they'd gone raving loco as a result of performing your orders.  How does that make you feel?"

Then I beat up Victor and Victoria, it was awesome.  (Tiz: Hey, that's not what it says in your journal!)

Anyway, it's grind time now, because I'm pretty clearly underlevel.  Rusalka MT OHKO's the party with Dark Flow *through Default*.  Okay, not really, Defaulting Angelic Ward Agnes w/ Abate Water laughs, but uh she's not getting the party back up in time vs. 4 enemies.  Meanwhile, while I made some forward progress vs. DeRosa, his ~2200 Cura healing was pretty significant and he has lots of ways to randomly hax you up if the battles goes on too long.  More importantly, Dread is a better status than I gave it credit for at first - locking Brave & Default isn't SO bad, but sending BP to 0 is terrible.  Unlike Einheria, this pretty well mocks the "Default a lot" strategy.  Haven't learned Abate Lightning yet on anyone either (don't tell me which class it's on, I'll find it eventually), so yeah.  [Side note: In the DL, while Dread is much less useful and Revenge is nerfed, DeRosa at least likes that BD separates Confuse & Charm, and Confuse blockers exist for him but not Charm blockers.  Means a lot of games' vanilla confuse blockers won't help much vs. him.]

More generally, fun villains this chapter.  A well-done sympathetic villain is potentially among the greatest characters out there, but this is hard, and a failed-sympathetic villain is among the worst things a plot can have.  It's totally okay to have some cackling baby eaters out there that you really want to smash their face in!  Harder to screw this kind of villain up, too, not that it can't be done - usually by overexposure and/or bullshit superpowers.  Also while we're in tiny text, that was an awfully quick change from a bikini to knight armor, Edea.  DeRosa is such a slimebag, it's going to be great killing him.

Somewhat related, since I just read it -
http://www.nytimes.com/1995/10/01/books/bookend-arendt-and-heidegger-an-affair-to-forget.html
More unwise bodice-ripping emotions.  So a Nazi & a German Jew get it on after the war...   uh...  yeah, that isn't really love conquers all territory, let's just call that a moment of weakness and move on.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: April 01, 2014, 08:48:50 PM »
Mild gameplay spoiler/hint for Rusalka: Dark Flow ignores Default so don't feel pressed to use it on those turns. You'll still need a good way to deal with it + what comes after, as you've probably figured out.

I consider DeRosa to be trash in the DL but I didn't find that sidequest until a bit later and have zero sympathy for sidequest bosses in such cases. Charm does help, though, yes.

Maybe.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: April 02, 2014, 12:18:47 AM »
Xenogears: Solaris, part 2.

Hours 39-40: More fun times in the Soylent laboratories. This area is actually a pretty large dungeon so it's time-consuming even when it isn't being punctuated by grotesque reminders of just what it is these people are doing.

In one room, the party is surprised to discover records of themselves! Seems someone here has been keeping an eye on them. Of interest is the notes of what is to be done with each. Fei is dangerous and needs to be destroyed. Maria, Emeralda, and Chu-Chu are dismissed as "useless" and also slated to be "disposed". Bart, Rico, and Billy are listed as being desired for "animus allignment" whatever that is (this will be explained momentarily), with Rico getting an extra note that he is a test subject of Ethos in the Kislev area, who observed his battling capabilities. It's nothing we couldn't piece together previously but well, there's the confirmation. Elly is to be retained for more detailed study, while Citan just has no comments whatsoever.

The party proceeds further, with Citan opening a security door to allow them to do so. Fei asks what the facility is for, and Citan answers, saying that the whole place is basically built around experiments designed to increase the longevity of the emperor and the Gazel Ministry. He further explains that the Ministry lost their bodies in the war 500 years ago but research is been done here on how they can be resurrected. Fei asks if all the experiments, the corpses they have seen, etc., are to the end of letting these old dudes attain immortality, and Citan confirms it.

Elly, however, at this point, has had enough. She heaps accusation upon accusation onto Citan. How does he know all this, despite her parents, Jesiah, Maria, etc., not knowing it? How did he have clearance to open some of the doors here? Fei tries to defuse the situation but Elly is insistent, demanding to know just what is going on. Citan has no response. Suddenly, the lights go off.

Fei is captured, and held susupended in the air in a room covered by TV screens on all six sides. Images of Id appear, and then the Gazel Ministry appear on the screens and talk to him. And with them is Citan. They reveal that Citan has been watching Fei all this time, and had led him and his friends to Solaris. Furthermore, they reveal the purpose of his "friends", or Animus; they are special individuals whose bodies are needed for their resurrection. (Shots of Bart and Billy on operating tables appear as they say this.) They explain their purpose: to regain their fleshly bodies and to resurrect their God, which brought humanity to this world 10000 years ago, and take to the starry skies. Fei asks them if they are not content with simply ruling this world.

"What meaning is there in having control of a planet as insignificant as this? God has given us the right to rule over the universe."

Go big or go home, I guess!

The scene cuts to Elly, who is been held in a lab by Krelian. Krelian makes reference to something not mentioned in a long time, the incident in which Elly was accosted by some fellow soldiers, freaked out, and killed some of them. He reveals that the "official" explanation, that her episode was the side effect of drugs, was in fact a lie, but is cryptic about what actually happened. He reveals that he has plans involving Elly, but not what those are. He confirms that the other party members will be used for the Gazel resurrection or killed, and babbles a bit about how his methods are so much more noble. He babbles about it a bit, talking about interesting things found in the introns of Elly's DNA. While I can appreciate that this is not, in fact, technobabble, but something vaguely plausible in a sci-fi way, in practice this scene ends up pretty useless because Krelian manages to talk a lot and say nothing. The only useful thing he reveals is confirmation that Elly is the 'mother', which is somehow very important in the Deus-related plans. He also notes that this confirms some of Grahf and Miang's actions, which reveals more about his rocky relationship with those two: Miang is his ally, certainly, but it's clear they aren't entirely trying to do the same thing.

Back to Fei, who is now alone. Citan walks in and has a chat with the still-captive Fei. He tries to explain Solaris' point of view: that people are happier just being told their place in life. What could be easier? Fei is obviously unhappy, and Citan taunts him: he has failed. What can he do? Nothing. He is hopelessly bound, his friends are captive and about to be killed, and despite his efforts even Elly is now going to suffer. Fei, in obvious anguish, starts begging Citan to stop, but Citan continues relentlessly. Eventually, Fei passes out. The lights darken with Fei's point of view, and Citan says something to the effect of "Now we can talk... Id."

Back to Elly! Krelian is gone, but Ramsus is here! And he is going crazier and crazier! He babbles to Elly, demanding to know where Fei is, hating Fei, wondering why Fei is believed to be superior to him. He seems on the point of hurting Elly but instead backs off, swallows some pills, and wanders off. Ramsus has looked a bit unstable before, to be sure, but this is the first time we really see what a mess he is, when he isn't in front of Miang or his superiors.

And back to Fei again! After a series of hopeless scenes, suddenly the tone shfits dramatically, as Bart and Billy are cutting him loose. Citan is also there. Fei yells at Citan, calling him a traitor, but Bart and Billy insist that Citan saved them. Citan has their best interests at heart after all: he brought them to the Soylent labs because it is the only place with the technology to neutralise their limiters, which is something he wanted to do so that they could fight against the Gazel without psychological fear of doing so (not that this has really manifested itself yet, but I'll give this plot point the benefit of the doubt). He also reveals that he learned that Elly doesn't have a limiter, which he finds strange, and that Fei... well. He cuts off before saying anything, but something is up there too.

Citan's story still isn't fully adding up of course: is he really double-double-crossing Solaris? But he's not about to elaborate further and I can't really fault the PCs for basically going along with him now since he did just save them, whatever happened previously. Citan offers Fei and company directions of where Elly is being held so they can go free her, and then rendezvous with him in the hangar area. Citan himself goes and blows up the last Gate Generator, the one in Solaris proper, since that's the kind of thing he does. There he meets Jesiah, who is pleased that Citan appears to be on his side after all. He asks about the Emperor, to whom Citan's loyalties lie, and Citan reveals that the Emperor gave his blessing for the party to do as it sees fit. Looks like Cain and the Ministry really don't see eye to eye. Anyway, they destroy the Gate. Ramsus appears and appeals to his old friends before they can do so, but to no avail. His anguish yells of "Traitors!" follow them as they escape.

Everyone meets up en route to the hangar: all the PCs and Jesiah of course, but also Hammer and Elly's parents, with the former having learned where the latter two were being held so that they could be rescued. Erich decides to go separately from the party to secure extra transportation, figuring that with his rank and the confusion currently going on in Solaris he can pull some strings if he is alone. Fei and two chosen PCs, meanwhile, get one last stretch of dungeon to work through so that they can join up with him and escape Solaris.

Hour 41: The party reaches the hangar and is all ready to escape Solaris. Unfortunately, Hammer has decided that for the first time in over 20 hours he's going to be all-too relevant! He draws a gun and insists that Elly accompany him back to captivity. The party flips out at this betrayal, which Hammer says he had to do because Krelian threatened to "change it" if Elly wasn't recaptured (which I assume means change him into some sort of horrible Wels-related monstrosity since that's how Krelian rolls). The party is at a loss for what to do, except Medena who just begins slowly walking towards Hammer. He panics and points the gun at her instead, telling her not to come closer. She stops, but tells Elly to walk towards the party, the gun still trained on her. Elly does so. She makes it past her mother, back to Fei and company, all while Hammer blubbers at his inability to stop the situation, everything slipping away from him...

There's a single gunshot. Medena falls to the ground, dead without a chance to say any more. Hammer gives out a scream at what he has done and runs back into Solaris. A tearful Elly goes to her mother's side, but unfortunately for her, Grahf and the Executioner (the mysterious Solarian woman who was supporting Kislev) show up to ruin this emotional moment.

There's a boss fight, it's pretty easy, but plotwise it might as well not even happen. Erich shows up in a gear, stepping between the two sides, threatening the Executioner and Grahf to buy time for the party to escape. The Executioner chortles at this show, and unceremoniously uses some ether power to destroy Erich's gear. Erich gets a chance to wish Elly the best, telling Elly to keep living for the sake of her parents who loved her, before his gear explodes.

The Executioner menacingly taunts Elly. "Oh, have I overdone it? You had no time to say goodbye." But she isn't done yet. Glowing with even more ether power, she lashes out and attacks the party. Blinding pain wracks Elly, Citan, Bart, everyone... everyone except Fei, who can only watch helplessly as his friends appear to be dying. A villain deliberating causing Fei mental trauma? We know what this means.

The game's done pussyfooting around the subject of Id. In the Yggdrasil's hangar, Weltall activates on its own and morphs into the red mech we associate with Fei's destroyer personality. From the Yggdrasil, the next we see thing we see is the gear reaching Solaris, and starting to attack it.

The scene cuts back to the Executioner, standing on a smoldering dock, and now joined by Krelian. She takes off her disguise to reveal that she is, in fact, Miang, chief architecht of Fei's suffering. She is clearly pleased that Id has awakened, and believes that it will be more difficult for Fei to regain control this time. Krelian is concerned with recovering Elly, a task which has Miang has deferred to Ramsus, though both are skeptical of his chance of success. There's a bit more dialogue here which reveals that they're not entirely on the same page for motivations, but are working together for now. The scene ends with Krelian noting that it is time for them to leave, as Solaris' destruction is imminent.

Imminent indeed. More videos of Id-Weltall attacking Solaris follows, and the whole structure falls apart, the core of it crashing into a mountain and exploding. Whoa, holy shit, thousands of people (millions?) just died. Hard not to feel bad for the ones who were innocent, even if they were part of a pretty jerkass society. I kinda feel like the game glosses over the death a bit here, but I guess I can't see many of the PCs feeling that torn up about it and/or they have much bigger problems to deal with...

Meanwhile, we finally cut back to the PCs, escaping on Seibzehn, as Elly regains consciousness. She asks where Fei is, and after Citan attempts some evasive answers, he eventually tells her the truth: Fei is in the red gear. Fei is destroying Solaris. The entire party witnessed his transformation at the docks.

Id's not done yet. His next target: those inconvenient "friends" of Fei's. The Yggdrasil crew turns to Citan for instructions, but for once he is at a complete loss. Elly takes initiative and pilots Vierge out of the Yggdrasil to meet Id. Id gleefully talks about killing her. Elly tells him that if that is what will make him happy, then she will die for him. Id attacks her, but as he does, Elly grabs him, momentarily restraining him. She yells at him, to Fei, telling Fei she won't ever let him go, to please return to being Fei. Id angrilly fends her off and eventually overcomes her, but even as he does, Fei begins to wake up. An enraged Id leaves the stage once more.

The scene shifts to Shevat, the dust having settled, as people discuss what to do with Fei now that it is clear he is Id. Citan explains a fair deal of what has happened, including his own role: he had been ordered by Cain to watch Fei and determine if he was a threat to humanity. Watching Fei, Citan came to believe that he would be good for the world, and the two both held hope that Fei could use his power to challenge the evil of the Gazel Ministry and those with like-minded plans. Cain defers to Citan's judgement, saying that he is atoning for his crimes by letting humans govern their own affairs.

Citan has learned much about Id, some pieced together from things Solaris would know (such as the fact that Id had been an assassin under Grahf's control which Solaris had employed to destroy the rebelling Elru, Dominia's homeland), but much from watching Fei for the past three years, and, of course, a certain scene. We flash back now to the scene where Citan had taunted the captive Fei with his failures until he could stand it no more, and Id had appeared. This scene is pretty awesome, as Citan smoothly engages with the raging destructive force that is Id. Citan reveals that yes, he did indeed allow Fei to be held in a capture device which blocks his nerve signals precisely for this purpose (the real reason he led the party to captivity). He asks him various questions and Id is happy enough to answer. Id hates Fei, the personality which Khan Wong, his father, "created" on top of his own three years ago, keeping Id's persona bound up. Fei didn't exist until then, which is why he has no memories. However, Id has far more hate for another personality he has, which he just refers to as a coward, which Citan speculates might be the "base" personality of the whole mess. Eventually, Id tires of questioning, threatening to break out of his captivity. Citan just tells him that he can't: that even if he somehow could, he knows Id has finite available "mental energy" and would waste it on the act of breaking free. Id is pissed off, and assures Citan he will enjoy murdering him some day.

Meanwhile, a decision has to be reached for Fei. Most of the Shevat elders, remembering the time when Grahf all but destroyed the world by unleashing the Diabolos disaster, fear Fei and despite the misgivings of several named characters (but especially Elly), they elect to freeze him in carbonite, because you really can never have too many Star Wars references. Elly will have none of it, though, so that night, before they can enact their plan, she breaks him out of prison. Fei worries that perhaps he should be frozen, that perhaps if he continues to be free he might eventually hurt her. Elly notes that he wasn't able to kill her, even as Id, and that she will be there for him no matter what. D'aww.

Unfortunately, Vierge is damaged from the fight with Id, so they have to fly out in Vierge. Citan appears to give them his blessing, having unsurprisingly guessed out what Elly would do. They make their escape.

Cut to the Gazel Ministry. WHAT THEY MADE IT OUT OF SOLARIS FUCKING BASTARDS I HOPED THEY MIGHT BE DEAD; CAN'T YOU DO ANYTHING USEFUL ID?!?! Ahem. It's not yet clear where they are, but apparently the villains have a new home base. They're pissed that Cain was working behind their back and they want that Fei dead, and his little dog too! Krelian says that he has sent Ramsus after him, having turned his gear into an Omnigear with a relic he recovered from the recent salvage operations.

The scene cuts to Ramsus, recalling his orders from Krelian to kill Fei and recover Elly, and Miang's words of encouragement, that she believes in him even if nobody else does. Twist the knife a little more, Miang, will you.

Ramsus catches up with Fei, and then, something truly amazing happens. They fight, and Ramsus, with his awesome new omnigear, wins. Ramsus. Wins. At something. Anything. He is overcome with joy and cackles madly about how he isn't useless as he takes out his rage on Weltall. Even as Elly screams that they surrender, he can't hear them, sending the gear crashing to earth in his madness, apparently destroying it. Ramsus comes to his senses and realises he has ignored his orders by allowing Elly to die as well. He doesn't give a shit. Today is Ramsus Day, baby!

That said, he may also have slightly overestimted his own accomplishments. The first disc ends with a scene of Fei and Elly struggling out of the burning remnants of Weltall... as Grahf watches from the shadows.

Whew! Anyway, as you can probably tell, I really dig the whole Solaris arc. A lot of plot points pay off, there is some excellent character work, the plans of the antagonists become clear, and in general pretty much every character worth caring about gets a chance to shine. You get a freat look at a twisted society and lots of things happen; even the "victory" of Solaris' destruction, as the major villains all survive and obviously are about to be doing really bad things. Really sets things up nicely for the big endgame push which goes on for pretty much the entire disc.

Honestly, parts of this replay definitely remind me why the game is not on my short list of all-time favourite RPGs, ringing in at something more like 8/10 level. Obviously the gameplay is a big reason (and even Solaris reminds me of that: the labs were definitely too big a dungeon for a game which obviously cares far more about its story than its gameplay). But apart from that the story definitely isn't always firing on all cylinders. Just looking back, prior to Solaris there's quite a long segment of the game which was punctuated by only occasional parts (Ethos revelations, Shevat) which really delivered what the goods in terms of making me really care about the game's writing. But Solaris? Yeah, pretty much that whole place lived up to my memories of what the game does well.

Next time: people sitting in chairs, and some hilariously weak bosses!
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 01:00:19 AM by Dark Holy Elf »

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: April 02, 2014, 12:56:53 AM »
BD - Dimension's Hasp done! Also, some mild testing with Pierce M. Defense gives me this: Max Summoning-amped Summon Magic deals -considerably less damage- than just Pierce M. Def. Summon Magic. As in, 1/3 less minimum. Yeah, I know which skill is paramount to making magic viable long-term in this now.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: April 02, 2014, 01:37:53 AM »
I think you can go to Majula in NG+, use a fragrant branch of yore on the pyro and go straight to Drangleic castle while ignoring everything else. Not 100% sure though.

Nevermind about that.
You even lose all your Esuna tree branches in NG+.
BUT NG+ flies by really fast. I'm up to the Shrine of Amala in four hours, and I'm fighting every boss even when I don't need to. (Some have new item)s

NG+ is really cool, there's just enough new enemies/surprises! Some bosses now have support. One in particular is now nerve wrecking, at least solo. I'm not spoiling anything.

I feel like I'm kind of trivializing with Great Resonant Soul though. That thing is probably the easiest way to handle NG+ for a lowish stat investment (You need to: get 20 Int 26 Faith, get 4 spell slots, get Catia's Shime and upgrade it to +10 and dark, get two copies of Great Resonant Soul: Those two katanas you've been using for 60 hours now look terrible)
I saw Mirror Dude finally summon a player, but I just mashed R1 during the summoning and he died right after the invader went out of the mirror? So, said invader promptly disappeared. I sent him "Hexes, dude. Hexes. Sorry."

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: April 02, 2014, 02:44:03 AM »
Huh, you can infuse caster weapons with an element and...improve their spell power with that element? That would've been good to know a long time ago.

Gargoyles/Najka/Not!Pinwheel down today. Laser spider is next because honestly that scares me less than Smelter Demon or Lost Sinner. I'm still just chucking Heavy Soul Arrow/Great Heavy Soul Arrow at everything. I have Soul Spear! But I get all of three shots of it. I have Homing Soulmass! But the one time I tried it it failed to kill 1x Bastile dog (only one bolt actually managed to hit or something? So fail tracking). Quantity over quality is really the thing with sorcery in DS2. You get a billion shots of the basic spells and fire like twice as fast as lightning bolts but do a fraction of the damage. Like holy crap why are lion jerks so ridiculously resilient to everything but pure physical damage. GHSA didn't even approach breaking into triple-digit damage. These assholes have like a thousand hitpoints! I was taking them all down with arrows and rapier pokes instead.

Straid's outfit is pretty swanky, I gotta admit (but we have ever more stylish plans in the long run so we leave it unupgraded). I just noticed that Flame Swathe does not in fact possess the capacity to destroy breakable objects despite being a gigantic fuck-off explosion. Holy shit it's the neutron bomb. (I should probably try other pyromancies at some point.)

I've also just noticed that the wall right behind the first Black Gulch bonfire is a screaming face.

~

Not!Licia's still sitting at the end of the game with just Dynamic Duo (OH GOD NO), Frue Final (hahaha) and optional OHKO machine left. I'm probably never bothering with that last fight again. Killed him first run, got the trophy, it's not fun and gives me nothing I care about. And man giant memory stuff is just so tedious. I wish this wasn't like the last thing you do in the game. I just lose all interest once the Dragon Shrine's clear. Still will probably be cleric mode if/when I get into the mood to try NG+. I do appreciate having such a deep arsenal of lightning bolts to chuck at people.

Benhart's sword is hilariously bad.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: April 02, 2014, 06:18:19 AM »
BD - Hooray, Conjurer get. I must say, the third boss in that sidequest chain was one of the toughest involving human enemies in a while. (Which probably isn't surprising!) I can't imagine what I'd have done without the ability to do MT 9999. (Also, I was amused how the sidequest seemed to be building up to more and more badass opposition... then you get the "boss" which you MT OHKO right after.) The actual final was fine, a bit different than some, but not too bad.

Still need to get Vampire. I probably have the tools needed to finally run roughshod over that boss chain, so guess I'll do that next. Can't say I'm terribly interested in the class at this point, though... really, blue mages don't need a seven-boss barrier to accession, their skills are enough of a chore.

Maybe.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: April 02, 2014, 03:40:51 PM »
Still need to get Vampire. I probably have the tools needed to finally run roughshod over that boss chain, so guess I'll do that next. Can't say I'm terribly interested in the class at this point, though... really, blue mages don't need a seven-boss barrier to accession, their skills are enough of a chore.

I kinda question the lengths you have to go for the class myself, but the overall set they provide is very appealing in a vaccuum. Excellent offensive/utility mix for cheap (it so didn't need 1.25x power MT that adds status/p. def busting -and- competent elemental ITD that can be buffed by Love Power. Oh, and completely free, game-best parasitic HP/MP healing BY FAR in a game where it's actually a viable option) and the class itself has nice passives, level-up skills and stats. If you get it at C4, holy mother, does it pay off like a motherfucker.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 08:42:10 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: April 02, 2014, 09:48:54 PM »
More videos of Id-Weltall attacking Solaris follows, and the whole structure falls apart, the core of it crashing into a mountain and exploding. Whoa, holy shit, thousands of people (millions?) just died. Hard not to feel bad for the ones who were innocent, even if they were part of a pretty jerkass society. I kinda feel like the game glosses over the death a bit here, but I guess I can't see many of the PCs feeling that torn up about it and/or they have much bigger problems to deal with...

This is a general issue with a lot of works of fiction, but yeah, XG is definitely an offender here.  Killing zillions of people you haven't met doesn't mean much; if you want it to have impact, kill of someone we know and either like and/or hate.  Admittedly, this is a tall order, as XG already has one of the biggest VG casts around, and I'm essentially asking that the list be even larger (introduce someone else to kill 'em off).  Granted, Solaris is not SO bad since most of the Solarian characters in the real cast have fairly good excuses to not be blown up...  XG's worse offense is in Disc 2, where the game kind of off-handedly mentions "oh btw 90% of the planet's population just died and became goo, everyone who didn't descend from Abel sufficiently."  Now what are the odds that everyone in your party and that you know & care about are immune?  Even the villains?  They could have killed off one of the Elements or something from this, at least...  alternatively, done something like "Billy got really sick, but then we put him in his Omnigear and it technomagically protected him, but now he needs to stay within 90 feet of the Anima Reactor at all times or else his condition will worsen again."  Even just in text, hey, it's Disc 2, once that ship has sailed you might as well keep going with it.  As is, the fact that a disaster of epic proportions strikes the planet's population never really has quite the impact it should, although I suppose the restricted world map with the tiny towns of refugees helps a little.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #863 on: April 02, 2014, 09:56:58 PM »
I think the Ramsus subplot is probably the best-written part of XG.  The crazy XG cosmology (only Ramsus, as a clone of the Emperor, can kill the Emperor) is more of a MacGuffin to give Krelian, Miang and the Gazel reasons to manipulate him in ways that are about a thousand times more straightforward than anything else that happens.  His actions are the product of him having an inferiority complex that they periodically stoke or soothe, and he gradually becomes more and more unhinged until he loses his shit and does exactly what they want.  No split personalities or past lives involved.

e: 
More videos of Id-Weltall attacking Solaris follows, and the whole structure falls apart, the core of it crashing into a mountain and exploding. Whoa, holy shit, thousands of people (millions?) just died. Hard not to feel bad for the ones who were innocent, even if they were part of a pretty jerkass society. I kinda feel like the game glosses over the death a bit here, but I guess I can't see many of the PCs feeling that torn up about it and/or they have much bigger problems to deal with...

This is a general issue with a lot of works of fiction, but yeah, XG is definitely an offender here.  Killing zillions of people you haven't met doesn't mean much; if you want it to have impact, kill of someone we know and either like and/or hate.  Admittedly, this is a tall order, as XG already has one of the biggest VG casts around, and I'm essentially asking that the list be even larger (introduce someone else to kill 'em off).  Granted, Solaris is not SO bad since most of the Solarian characters in the real cast have fairly good excuses to not be blown up...  XG's worse offense is in Disc 2, where the game kind of off-handedly mentions "oh btw 90% of the planet's population just died and became goo, everyone who didn't descend from Abel sufficiently."  Now what are the odds that everyone in your party and that you know & care about are immune?  Even the villains?  They could have killed off one of the Elements or something from this, at least...  alternatively, done something like "Billy got really sick, but then we put him in his Omnigear and it technomagically protected him, but now he needs to stay within 90 feet of the Anima Reactor at all times or else his condition will worsen again."  Even just in text, hey, it's Disc 2, once that ship has sailed you might as well keep going with it.  As is, the fact that a disaster of epic proportions strikes the planet's population never really has quite the impact it should, although I suppose the restricted world map with the tiny towns of refugees helps a little.

I always reconciled the PC cast being pretty much untouched by the fact that every PC except Chu-chu, as well as the blood relatives of the PCs, are all Animus and would be immune because they're important and shit.  Maison totally should have turned into a Yoda or something though.  On the subject of Animus, it always bugged me that Elly is prprogrammed to fall in love with Fei and has no choice in the matter, and the rest of the cast (except, again, Chu-chu) are all destined to become Fei's buddies but nobody ever acknowledges that.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: April 02, 2014, 10:19:14 PM »
Pretty good points both, I generally agree!

And yeah, the predestined love is pretty weird. The two actually have pretty good chemistry and it kind of cheapens it to say they were always fated to be a couple. I think it's meant to be romantic but I definitely find it less romantic than it could have been.

Maybe.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: April 02, 2014, 11:04:59 PM »
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles ToS, beaten. Final team was Colette/Zelos/Regal/Sheena. Hard mode, final boss was relatively easy considering especially the second form, no that was just easy. I'm not sure what the point of the second form was, there isn't even any cut scene or anything in between forms~

Edit: Turns out I made the fights easier by destroying the optional "bosses" in the Holy city, beating all of them removes all the final boss's non light/dark elemental resistances, oops didn't know beating them did that ;o Still not sure the second form would have been any less easy any since it seems to be designed to be a giant combo bag anyway. First form did use Time Stop a couple of times at least~
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 11:55:24 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: April 02, 2014, 11:51:37 PM »
It's hard not to feel towards Solaris citizens because Solaris is an obvious metaphor to our western civilization and how we can't live without hurting a bunch of other people/animals/ecosystems in poorer countries.

We can't really have an objective point of view here about whether those deaths were truly tragic or not.
All those utopia lands in media always make me feel uncomfortable (but that's not a bad thing)

Dark Souls 2: Crap I need to level Bellbro up again for all the sorceries

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: April 03, 2014, 02:13:02 AM »
Tales of Symphonia Chronicles ToS, beaten. Final team was Colette/Zelos/Regal/Sheena. Hard mode, final boss was relatively easy considering especially the second form, no that was just easy. I'm not sure what the point of the second form was, there isn't even any cut scene or anything in between forms~

Edit: Turns out I made the fights easier by destroying the optional "bosses" in the Holy city, beating all of them removes all the final boss's non light/dark elemental resistances, oops didn't know beating them did that ;o Still not sure the second form would have been any less easy any since it seems to be designed to be a giant combo bag anyway. First form did use Time Stop a couple of times at least~

The second form exists pretty much out of necessity more so than anything else.

There's basically a rule in Tales games that "every final boss needs two forms"; extend this to jRPGs if you want.  Even Dhaos pulls a second form completely out of his ass in the original ToP, and there's 0 precedent for him having that form.  No random power he was drawing from he didn't have before, no artifact, no monster he was summoning.  Just sort of goes "Screw it, I'M TRANSFORMING NOW BECAUSE ANGRY!"  Dunno what the remakes did, but the SNES version just sort of throws that in there for no good reason.

There are cases where it makes sense to be fair (like ToGf was a case of "ok, I can buy that second form existing" considering the circumstances changing from the first form), and then there are cases where it's clearly just there to mark off a box on a check-list; from what I recall of ToS1's final, the latter seems to be the case.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: April 03, 2014, 02:34:34 AM »
DS2: I'm confused. First run through the game I kill laser spider and there's a big mysterious rock in the room that "does nothing at this time." Brother suggests it's another memory zone thing, I figure I'll check that on cleric and/or sorc run...but mystery rock is not there for either of them. What.

Man why are there so many bloodstains in the Drangleic Castle throne room? This a favored PVP room or something?

2x Firestorm = dead rodent of unusual size. VENGEANCE.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #869 on: April 03, 2014, 03:15:11 AM »
re: Tales and two-form final bosses:

ToX plays with this concept in a rather amusing way.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #870 on: April 03, 2014, 03:58:58 AM »
All things considered, I feel like Xenogears, were it a complete game, probably would have dwelt considerably more on "holy shit Fei just went from killing some dudes who've been trying to kill him to genocide".  But despite all logic I think Xenogears was more or less made in chronological order (rather than making the most important parts of the game first to hedge against deadlines, which of course actually DID happen), and when the money dried up and we have to finish the game now now now now is... immediately after the Soylent dungeon, so oh crap we can't keep going full on philosophical about war and death we gotta finish the damn game.

But yeah, the implication from various parts of the game is that the human members of the party are genetically very similar to the Gazel (hence their high Anima ratings and being picked as bodies for them to surf to), which since they were already part of the Deus system probably wouldn't have whatever genetic markers single people out for gooification or what have you.  Odd thing is, int he early parts of disc 2, they DO actually address it to some extent; while the party hasn't been effected, people they've met have and a lot of energy is put into helping them via nanomachines.  For example, based on the sprites the implication is that Elly's subordinates are the some of the partially mutated people you meet before the Sufal fight, and later on they appear as normal because they've actually been more or less cured and have joined Nisan's defense force.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: April 03, 2014, 05:30:41 AM »
That makes a lot of sense and explains their otherwise random reappearance rather nicely. (I'm currently saved at the start of Anima Relic 2, need to update.)

Bravely Default - Welp, Vampire asterisk is finally mine. Also I mastered Dark Knight. Rage would probably feel ridiculous if I hadn't yet seen Dark Nebula (6.25x ST for 3 BP? Man I remember when I thought Judgement was great).

Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: April 03, 2014, 06:43:36 AM »
Pretty good points both, I generally agree!

And yeah, the predestined love is pretty weird. The two actually have pretty good chemistry and it kind of cheapens it to say they were always fated to be a couple. I think it's meant to be romantic but I definitely find it less romantic than it could have been.

Perfect Works makes it worse (I'm willing to admit I own a copy of Perfect Works) by making it pretty clear that Elly/the Antitype is wish fulfillment for the Contact.  The Zohar or whatever pulled Abel's idea of the perfect woman from his brain, made her real, programmed her to fall in love with him, and if he was in extreme danger, to die trying to keep him alive.  I think there's an interesting idea of nature v. nurture in there but the writers don't seem to realize how fucked up it is how it stands.  If we're doing more "fix things with XG" then I think that's one of the two things I would hit (the general disconnect with the casualties is the other).  I'd probably have Shevat remove the Antitype programming from her at some point and she has to ask herself if whatever feelings she has are real or programming. 

But yeah, the implication from various parts of the game is that the human members of the party are genetically very similar to the Gazel (hence their high Anima ratings and being picked as bodies for them to surf to), which since they were already part of the Deus system probably wouldn't have whatever genetic markers single people out for gooification or what have you.  Odd thing is, int he early parts of disc 2, they DO actually address it to some extent; while the party hasn't been effected, people they've met have and a lot of energy is put into helping them via nanomachines.  For example, based on the sprites the implication is that Elly's subordinates are the some of the partially mutated people you meet before the Sufal fight, and later on they appear as normal because they've actually been more or less cured and have joined Nisan's defense force.

I'm mostly sure that the Animus aren't just genetically similar to the Gazel Ministry, they're their descendants.  First there was just Abel, then Kadamony made Cain, Elly and Miang, then the 12 Gazel Ministry were created to each correspond to an Anima Relic.  And of course the people who came after that were progressively less powerful.  I'm sure that's a biblical reference of some sort but my mind immediately goes to Bloodlines (thanks, Troika).  Based on that it's possible that the people who mutated most severely traced their ancestry back to one of the later generations of people to be produced by Kadomony.  Given the game's extreme interest in hierarchies and rank, it wouldn't be surprising if they were planning to reveal that the world had a built-in sorting mechanism based on how soon your most distant ancestor popped out of the space baby toaster.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 06:48:07 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #873 on: April 03, 2014, 06:49:19 AM »
There's a line to the effect of "redistributed your genes amongst the -Lambs- to preserve the world after your death during the Fall" (Because Xenogears has some goddamned awkward sentences sometimes).  I always figured this meant that through some means or other they actually reintroduced the gazel's genes into the general population after each one physically died, however the fuck they managed that.  So beyond just being their 10,000 year on descendants there seems to be a more recent and direct genetic tie between the gazel and the modern animus folk.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: April 03, 2014, 06:57:30 AM »
That would actually be marginally more believable than genetic markers breeding true over a 10,000 year span when we're talking about a gene pool of 12 people, all dudes.  Still confusing and the VtM metaphor is much cooler thematically.  Xenogears clearly wasn't above borrowing from pen-and-paper RPGs, otherwise Cain wouldn't have been... well, the Emperor of Mankind.