Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183512 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #700 on: March 23, 2014, 05:14:01 AM »
ToS- I found a Mithos and returned to the first world

Ice temple was fun/I enjoyed it, but then not surprising for me considering the element. Skating around frozen pond and sliding down icy slope was fun~

The boss was interesting. Went in on Hard with my team but decided not to use Colette's poison this time. It .. was painful, even with all the ice/water resistance stuff I'd thrown on my characters while going through the dungeon/before the boss, Regal had the least resistance stuff on, so he kept on dropping like a fly, then by the time I managed to take out Fenrir after that once I got her health down Celsius starting dishing out serious physical pain to pretty much everyone, and between the two I ended up really going through the Life Bottles for the course of the fight. Eventually I had none left, all three AIs were down, but Celsius was on her last sliver of HP so I performed a save of sorts by having Colette perform Sacrifice to revive the other three for the EXP, then won, although Colette went down. Should have probably set up the Angel's Tear Compound EX skill for the fight or something.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: March 23, 2014, 05:55:33 AM »
Soul Silver: So I decide to take on Sabrina and -*Espeon sweeps team*

...ok, my team isn't well set for that.  Let's come back with a bit higher levels.  Thankfully, Kanto is not straight up linear like Johto so we go to Celadon, and beat the crap out of Erika instead!

By the way, Erika, it's never a wise thing using Sunny Day AGAINST A FIRE TYPE.  I don't care if you're spamming Sunnybeam, I'm pretty sure the Fire Type is hitting you back way harder <_<
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: March 23, 2014, 05:56:14 AM »
DS2: Beaten, but there were some odds and ends to deal with first.

First off was Pilgrims of the Dark covenant quest. Fuck this bit with a spoon. You have to pay an effigy to access the second and third segments of this quest. If you die, you have to pay again. After about ten times dying to either Darklurker and his cheap as shit area of effect badness or to unskippable Havel/Ricard/Nazgul/Bizarro Cid tag-teams en route, I told Tommy Lee "Fuck y'all," and blew his brains out. Wait no I just left Grandahl sitting alone in the dark forever (he likes it there).

Optional boss I did actually kill: Spoilers But Not the Spoilers You Expected. This takes several tries because of damage extreme even by the Holy Fuck Are You Kidding Me standards of Dark Souls 2. I have 30 vitality and an HP-boosting ring on you guys and some of his attacks could still flatten me in one hit. But at last, a time when whip damage is optimal! Old Whip +5 at 40 DEX puts out something around 450 attack power. This is amazing for a whip, but the strange thing was it did more damage than the (better on paper) smashy club and gigantic samurai sword I was also packing. I guess whips hurt more when you're naked.

And of course I found out what the Crushed Eye Orb was for. Yeah I have no idea why the traitor was a traitor either. Grifter and generally shady character? Sure. Cheapskate jerkass in battle? Definitely, as it turns out. But otherwise I don't get the connection at all.

Penultimate boss was mean. At first it looks like I might get this in one shot, kill the little one first because he's faster and then it should be easy to wear down his pal--wait what what's fatass doing kneeling down by his bro's corpse and chanting and glowing and full resurrection are you fucking shitting me. Okay. So fatass rezzes, kill him first. Wait what's tiny doing kneeling down and chanting and ARGLE BARGLE. Third try = you've almost got this, don't do anything stupid like heal right in front of an enemy and die! *Cid does something stupid like heal right in front of an enemy and die* Finally, Murakumo saves the day here! I wanted to use whip because reach but it actually broke in record time when I tried focusing on that (that must be the most fragile damn weapon in the game, try it on anything armored and it just falls to pieces). So giant fuck-off samurai sword, built it up to +10 on a whim (I always wanted to use it in DS1 but never had the stats for it) and was amply rewarded here. Almost as good as club damage, doesn't leave me vulnerable as long, hits an arc that can easily snag both the bosses (sometimes).

Final boss was just wait what is going on what are those floaty things curse curse curse. One death because panic mode. Come back and club R1 + estus spam basically wins the day. Equipped anti-curse ring ahead of this time and it contributed in no noticeable way. Bah. (I expected curse once the Emerald Herald told me who the final boss was going to be; what I did not expect was chained boss battles in a Souls game).

As for the ending, I obviously have no idea what Spoilers was trying to accomplish or why they were trying to stop me from doing whatever it was that I did. (Dark Souls.) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NQQdSwFgSec

But I have fragments of a possible chain of events, I suppose. Spoiler mode engage.

-Curse of undead takes hold in Drangleic because that's basically just the Souls world's way of telling a nation it's run out the clock and somebody else's turn is up to take the stage.

-King Vendrick understandably all "This shit is totally fucked," starts looking for ways to fix curse.

-Somewhere along the line he builds SOUL-POWERED ROBOTS. This is presumably a bad thing.

-Crosses the sea to steal something from the giants that presumably should be of assistance to his project.

-Unsure of when the queen enters the picture. She's supposed to be from across the sea; was it her that Vendrick stole, or did he embark on this ill-advised adventure at her urging? Is she in fact the Yoko Ono of Drangleic?

-Giants cross the sea to steal back the precious thing and everything is fucked, man, everything is fucked.

-Giants either lose (though so narrowly that Drangleic is left a wasteland) or get what they want and go home. Either way Vendrick fails in finding any way to break the curse, goes hollow and gets shipped off to the Undead Crypt. The queen rules in his stead, which is apparently what she always wanted anyway.

-And she's not keen on letting anyone else take over, but as to how/why she was Nito mk 2 and what this was supposed to represent, I have no clue whatsoever.

Unless I missed something, there was only the one ending possibility? Fog gate kept me from leaving the room, which I absolutely would have done given option. You go ahead and rule this blasted wasteland from your dingy little kiln underground, queenie, I'm not interested in usurping your position. I've seen what happened to the last guy.

But alas, I didn't see an option to walk out of the room. Maybe I should've warped? Maybe the Herald gave me that feather for more than just convenience! Or maybe I should've walked off the cliff, who knows.

As for the Herald herself, I don't understand anything she was talking about just outside of the final fog gate and have no idea how her or the dragon ties into anything or explains anything. But I'm pretty cool with the Ancient Dragon and will probably not attempt to kill him because unlike the Queen he points me towards backstory without acting like it's a huge gigantic favor I should be grateful for and geez woman.

I guess the Herald herself is the missing link there? Vendrick went to all this trouble of getting his kingdom wrecked in pursuit of creating a person who could break the curse, gave up and went hollow when it became apparent she couldn't do this after all.

Hm, I wonder, does the final boss's soul description explain anything? No, of course it doesn't.

Final character build: SL 150

VIG: 30
END: 22
VIT: 22
ATT: 13
STR: 40
DEX: 40
ADA: 26
INT: 5
FAI: 5

Right hand: Large Club +10, Ricard's Rapier +10, Old Whip +5
Left Hand: Dragonrider Greatshield +3, Dragonrider Bow +5, Pyromancy Flame +10
Armor: Desert Sorceress set (all +10 because DS2 just drops slabs on you like sky donuts)
Rings: Ring of Blades +1, Chloranthy Ring +1, Third Dragon Ring, [various]

Good game. The stuff that bugged me conceptually basically still does, but this ultimately didn't stop the game from impressing on the grounds it really needed to: presenting me with outstanding environments that it is absolutely terrifying to explore.

The severe nerf that dodgeroll took in DS2 is really perplexing to me. I always figured rolling in DS1 was your reward for properly observing enemy attack patterns--blocking is the easier, more reliable option to avoid taking hits, sure, but against hard-hitting enemies you'll lose more stamina blocking than rolling and/or take elemental damage right through your shield. DS2, though, rolling is just so expensive in terms of stamina, and even fast roll is a tad slower than it used to be. The crazy thing is, blocking chews through more stamina too unless you're using a greatshield or something.

I am happy to learn, even if belatedly, that fast roll threshold in DS2 is like 70%? Even allowing that they expect you to have more weapons equipped (and this is actually appreciated, as is the obviously necessary vast increase in swiftness of swapping weapons), this is generous. So apparently I didn't have to wear harem skirt all game just to ensure top mobility after all (but guys you know I'd do it anyway). There is a markedly smaller number of cool-looking light armors in DS2, I think (perhaps because of the above point), which is rather sad since I've tended to like them most aesthetically in the earlier games (and this is of course my priority because Dark Souls defensive stats. Also FASHION).

I will almost certainly not be picking DS2 apart with a series of crazy builds just to see how they work out, for a multitude of reasons, but I am interested in trying the casting classes (definitely cleric, probably sorc somewhere down the line, but hexing sounds like a pain in the ass and pyromancy is just found too far in to functionally be its own build this time). To this end, I have started up a cleric because holy shit I really want that destruction rains from the heavens! miracle I've seen people using. My general plan is to mine the Forest for souls, hit Heide's immediately post-Giant to grab all the miracles, and then kill Licia for her clothes (although recent experience suggests this may be more difficult early than anticipated).

The first thing that I notice is that I lack the requisite strength to wield my starting weapon one-handed. Oh you guys.

Two other things I notice: oh hey, you can summon Pate for the first boss (sorry I murdered you last time buddy, I totally won't do it again probably); and you can sometimes talk to Shalquoir right through the wall. While I'm doing this, she utters the following line which did not stand out quite so much the first time around: "All things must one day crumble and waste away, so that something new may be born."

I've now come to the conclusion that insofar as story is concerned, this is Dark Souls' mission statement.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 06:22:24 AM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: March 23, 2014, 11:37:55 AM »
The difference between weights for the Fast Roll is now in length covered.  At nearly 70 it barely covers more ground than the fat roll but comes up much faster.  When you're nearly naked you cover scary amounts of ground.  But because there's so many damn death ledges the short roll works better more than it should.

Defense can be less bad if you stock truly ludicrous amounts of it.  With over a thousand I was taking like single digit damage from the Bastille dogs!  Then Grym still two-shot me herp a derp.  Guess my 8 VIGOR is bad for something!

Dark Souls 2: RRV, RRA and DDF all down.  Only the Rotten left from my borrowed run.  Also managed to open the Shrine of Winter with only two Great Souls and only 200,000 in my bank.  Guess it works on total souls as well?  Anyway, tried to Sunbro DDF, but lag makes the laser stupid annoying.  Also apparently I triggered Vangral's summon sign and I have no idea where it is.  Maybe the Castle?  I dunno.  RRA was basiclly my antethis made into rat flesh.  Bloody hell it took me eight tries to beat him.  RRV also took two because of a last second petrify as I killed him.  Bah.

Found the Black Knight Greatsword.  I heard the Greataxe is in game and I have the Halberd, so I'm on the lookout for the regular sword now too.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:47 PM »
CastleAbra - played through

Pretty terrible.

Occasionally has some good lines, but then it also has lines like "Even as a beta male, you recognise and respect the bro code."

Dive To The Titanic - played to dive 3, dropped

Fine enough for what it is, I guess? But it's not what I was hoping for, which was something more open-ended and less technical.

Especially when the technicalities extend to you having to be positioned exactly for several things, when you're using vehicles which can't turn around unless they're moving forward or backward and you get little help regarding what the needed positioning is. Two of the required photos on dive 2, I got to the object in question and then had to waste time finding the position in the next room over that the game for some reason had expected me to go through before it would bring up the cues to take the pictures, and as far as reconnecting the camera-system to the Nephron... I ate around a quarter of my air supplies circling the Nephon before the game finally decided that it was in the correct position. No interest in dealing with that again.

The outside-vehicle perspective, which I had been finding to be more useful for manoeuvring than the inside-vehicle perspective, also managed to get itself mucked up and positioned right above the vehicle so I ended up being able to see less than I could from the inside-vehicle perspective. Didn't find any way to fix that, although maybe it would have fixed itself on the next dive.

Vessel - played through

Fine.

Kinda reminiscent of the Abe games, except the controls are nowhere near as precise and here you're fixing things rather than breaking them. And all the fluid-based stuff exists.

I missed two blobs of protoplasm, one in the Orchard that I don't know where it was and one in the Mines that was seemingly out of reach. I intended to go back to the Mines after getting the level 2 pushback/hover nozzle in case it let you raise in the air, but by then it didn't seem like there was much point. (Plus it doesn't look like that nozzle lets you do that, for all that I didn't experiment with it much.)

The nozzle choices are pretty pointless all up? I got the firehose first and tried to use it a couple times, but there wasn't really anywhere that it was an improvement over the original/thin nozzle? I used the pushback/hover nozzle once, to avoid having to deal with a terrible jumping from ladder to ladder segment - in theory it could have other uses, but I can't really think of any. I never used the charged-shot nozzle, and while I did use the charged-seed nozzle a handful of times after getting it (after the Mines...) it's not really doing anything but saving a small amount of time over drop seed + apply fluid.

In some ways, the game feels half-finished? For example, half the protoplasm blobs in the Factory are just sitting there on the way out. Then there's the ones you get in the Mines, despite the fact there's barely any game left after the Mines for you to be bothered buying upgrades for. I wouldn't be entirely surprised if there was supposed to be another 'world' in addition to the Factory, Orchard, and Mines, where half the Factory's protoplasms were supposed to be (the Factory also has double the amount of protoplasms the Orchard and Mines have), and if there was supposed to be a more extended final sequence.

I don't know how you're supposed to work the accelerator, but I couldn't get having blue and red fluros in the hoppers to work at all. One or the other of them would always die before the accelerator could be activated. I ended up putting red fluros in both hoppers and applying blue fluid manually.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: March 23, 2014, 01:32:56 PM »
"the Yoko Ono of Drangleic" made me laugh so much.

Might be all totally wrong but

I think Vendrick asked his bro Aldia how to break this undead curse thing and use any means necessary. Aldia then became the Soulsian mad scientist, creating the Emerald Herald out of dragons but needing extra ingredients including the giant king's number one dime.

Aldia failed anyway just like the Witch of Izalith failed and the Lost Sinner failed, you can't fight entropy, etc etc.

And Aldia was all "Oh well, I'll create golems instead. Golems are cool? And then I'm getting the fuck out of there" Presumably the queen had a big part in that since she's Manus' / The Furtive Pygmy's Want, whatever that means but it is called Want.

For me the biggest questions are:
- Who is the main character
- Is the Chosen Undead anywhere
- Did anyone use the gender change coffin (Might be related to the question above)
- Why is Ornstein still around
- Why was Seath still around
- Where is the fourth laughing old woman in red
- Why does the Lost Sinner fight like Astorias (As far as I understood, she inherited the Witch of Izalith's boss soul, tried to do the exact same thing but spectacularly failed, and punishes herself for this ever since)
- And what's with the traitor

I beat Darkghost thing by using a sticky white stuff equivalent and mashing R1 when he was at half HP. Darklurker talked some more about the dark and I got some probably OP spell with insane requirements.
The end.

I definitely agree about music being a massive disappointment, it might be even worse than Demon's Souls. I think it's a big part of what made the bosses less intimidating.
The Gargoyle fight with the DS1 music was so intense in comparison to the rest of the game!
Think about the penultimate boss with Crapa Demon's music, or the Pursuer with Iron Golem's. Man.

Anyway sorcerer w/ the champion covenant is a bit harder than I thought, because bosses OHKO or 2HKO. That's because I invested in faith just to get miracles and hexes later when I should have been way more serious and put all those points into HP. Not sure what to do next. Might drop out of the covenant.

« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 02:33:59 PM by Fenrir »

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: March 23, 2014, 04:43:47 PM »
Dark Souls 2: RRV, RRA and DDF all down.  Only the Rotten left from my borrowed run.  Also managed to open the Shrine of Winter with only two Great Souls and only 200,000 in my bank.  Guess it works on total souls as well?  Anyway, tried to Sunbro DDF, but lag makes the laser stupid annoying.  Also apparently I triggered Vangral's summon sign and I have no idea where it is.  Maybe the Castle?  I dunno.  RRA was basiclly my antethis made into rat flesh.  Bloody hell it took me eight tries to beat him.  RRV also took two because of a last second petrify as I killed him.  Bah.

Found the Black Knight Greatsword.  I heard the Greataxe is in game and I have the Halberd, so I'm on the lookout for the regular sword now too.

I don't recall ever finding the regular sword (or the shield, much to my sadness). Greataxe is definitely present.

RRA is a bastard. Pretty sure he killed me more than any other boss in the game (relatively few killed me more than once, plenty didn't manage even that).

Fun fact: Aesir spider's laser totally ignores scenery and in fact can hit you even outside the fog gate (as I discovered once when running the fight as a summon and the host entered the room before I materialized).

EDIT: Oh, and I found Vengarl's summon sign outside of the final boss room. Dunno if he turns up anywhere else.

DS2 bosses are such a mixed bag, but I was at least happy there was no Bed of Chaos this time.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 05:30:21 PM by El Cideon »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: March 23, 2014, 09:53:19 PM »
Bravely Default - Holy -crap- these C7 optional fights are fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuun! Also brutal.

Also, mastered Swordmaster + mastered Piracy skillset = ten kinds of degenerate for ST offense. lol free amped strike strings
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: March 24, 2014, 02:29:55 AM »
I just restarted the sorcerer with no covenant in DS2 and am going to try to summon every NPC against bosses. This means staying human, which isn't hard. I beat five bosses already and have died twice.

So far these NPCs are pretty durable with little damage, they're perfect for distraction. (Except Belleclaire)
Theres Pate against the Giant, some cool dude with a sword against Heide's Tower's bosses, Lucatiel against the Sentry, and a female mage/astronomer named Belleclaire against sentinels.
Unfortunately, none of these NPCs react to emotes.

Nobody can help against the Pursuer as far as I can tell. BTW, if you beat him on the roof when he drops from his eagle, he won't appear as a boss. (And you'll still get all his stuff)

Stats are 20 Vit, 20 Int, 10 FAI, 30 ATT. Starting stats everywhere else. Not-Scarlet Johansson can't equip any shield, they're way too heavy man. In fact she can't even use a ladle properly, which might have lead her to lots of soup related misery in the past.

Investing into faith right now to get all those hexes.

Spells
- Soul Arrow/Great Soul Arrow are still your bread and butter as a mage.
- Unlike DS1 I didn't notice any major delay with Heavy Soul Arrow / Heavy Great Soul Arrow so they're pretty good.
- Shockwave doesn't work against bosses. Boo. And 3 charges only? I don't really see the point, though it's pretty fun to watch enemies fall on their face.
- Magic Weapon has been nerfed to hell. 8 charges, but greatly reduced damage. No more stabbity death from the sorcerer.
- Yearn is totally awesome. It distracts enemies for a short while (probably the same effect as an Alluring Skull?) negating practically any ambush
- Dark Orb so far has lower damage and lower charges than Soul Arrow. Way cooler looking though.
- Pyromancy is alltogether badly outclassed and meant for melee characters really.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 02:51:34 AM by Fenrir »

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: March 24, 2014, 02:51:07 AM »
Snow has discovered that there is such a thing as a Free Lunch, and that it is glorious.

Now if you only knew the power of the Dark Side.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: March 24, 2014, 02:53:08 AM »
I summoned a few of the NPC phantoms first run to see if any of them triggered any bonus stuff (I know Lucatiel at least has a quest related to her). They almost always died before the boss did.

Cleric up through the Sentinels. Man Heavenly Thunder sure looks cool but it kinda sucks. Imagine Firestorm if the same number of columns were spread over like twice the area and did 1/4 the damage. More often than not it doesn't hit anything, you have to have a serious mookswarm present for it to be any help at all (and you're probably not pausing to cast spells in that situation).

All healing spells are AoE now, which is cool (though sadly not all of my hosts realize this and they often run off to chow on lifegems instead). I want my Wrath of the Gods already, though (wait what 150 PVP victories required fuuuuuuuck.)

Bought everything from Licia. Took a couple swings at her and barely dented her healthbar (I didn't deal enough damage to even make her hostile). Um. *Cid looks something up* Oh she gives you her armor set for free once you hit 30 Faith. ...Okay! That's much easier.

Making a beeline to Harvest Valley for all that sweet sweet titanite.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:37 AM »
Lucatiel + The Moonlight Greatsword guy!
I don't think people like Belleclaire are mentioned anywhere else, but they're kinda cool.
Like Beatrice and Tarkus from Dark Souls 1.

The game is much easier on replays already not just because you know the maps but also because you know how areas are unlocked - You know you can go fight the Sentry before the Pursuer (and the way the bonfires work, this was probably intended), and can leave the sentinels until way later and go fight the chariot instead or something. This probably makes the penultimate boss the hardest for me as there are no other options there.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: March 24, 2014, 03:04:55 AM »
Snow has discovered that there is such a thing as a Free Lunch, and that it is glorious.

Now if you only knew the power of the Dark Side.

That's also brutally powerful, but it's a bit more dangerous to use. Still worth abusing, though - a Rage => Life Thief/Blood Thirst under Life or Death Brave string deals positively -absurd- amounts of damage and leaves a Dark Knight still up and dandy for more punishment. Dark Knight is hilariously strong if you can keep its HP management in check.

interrobangbang

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: March 24, 2014, 03:28:06 AM »
Try Rage with Drain Spellblade.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: March 24, 2014, 03:31:40 AM »
Drain Sword completely negates the HP penalty of Dark Sword techniques (well, except vs undead) and just leaves you really overpowered against anything that doesn't resist Dark!

Dark Sword and Genome abilities have been my main source of damage ever since Chapter 5 started.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: March 24, 2014, 04:26:30 AM »
Dominique Pamplemousse in it's not over until the fat lady sings

Beaten.  Good game.  It's a claymation musical adventure game with a gender-ambiguous main character (and it got nominated for lots of indie game awards this year; also: made by an acquaintance of mine).  If this sounds interesting to you, you should play it; it's not very long, and not expensive.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:38 AM »
Dark Souls 2: I suck at this game. Getting stonewalled against bosses. Did a lot of wandering around instead of throwing myself at bosses who were stomping me.

Beat: Belfry Gargoyles, Covetous Demon, Executioner's Chariot, and Ruin Sentinels (I caved and summoned help to beat these fuckers).

Stuck on: Furnace Demon, Lost Sinner

Armor doesn't seem to be having as much an effect on defense as I'd assume. Might need to level it up more. Greatsword is pretty rocking. Not happy with Zweinhander's swing pattern. Picked up Pursuer's Ultra Greatsword, but it is kinda lacking without the level up items.

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: March 24, 2014, 05:38:26 AM »
Just got the fourth Great Soul in DS2.  Guess I'm heading toward the final stretches. (though I can see there are many bosses I have not faced just yet, so maybe there's more to go than expected)  I have loved the game, though I don't want to elaborate too much.  The input lag is a real problem, but somehow not bad enough to detract from my enjoyment.  Have been unable to connect to online mode since the 1.02 patch, which is very disappointing because I was looking forward to playing an active Souls game the whole way through.  Favorite area was Huntsman's Copse up to this point.  I am playing a DEX Build and currently have a +10 lightning Blacksteel Katana and +10 Poison Falchion.  Still waiting on a good bow, using Lightning Short Bow in the meantime since it fires faster than the Sea/Bell Keeper Bows.

Also, I somehow played most of the levels in reverse order from what's expected.  If you haven't been to Huntsman's Copse and have beaten Dragonrider, I highly recommend going that way early if possible. 

Boss Tiers so far:

Mad Tough - Maneater 3.0, Smelter Demon (Probably one of the hardest bosses in the series for me)

Tough - Pursuer, Ruin Sentinels, RRA, Freja

Middle of the road - Old Iron King (All difficulty is Bed of Chaos-style randomness), Najka

Easy once you get the hang of it - Last Giant, Flexile Sentry, The Lost Sinner, Skeleton Lords, Mytha, Prowling Magus, RRV

Insultingly easy: Dragonrider, Mr. O, Covetous Demon, The Rotten

Overall, bosses have been easy and areas hard.  I cannot imagine playing DS2 before the others, though.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: March 24, 2014, 10:19:28 AM »
Hunter's Blackbow turns up in the zone that opens up once you've beaten the four old ones. It's basically Black Bow of Pharis (supreme range, S-rank in DEX) with shortbow firing time. Alternately, Dragonrider Bow is great if you have the stats to use it (high damage, part magic damage without an INT requirement, slow firing time though). Have I mentioned how great bows are in this game? Bows are great in this game. Lock-on bowfire rarely ever misses now (as opposed to DS1's firing at where enemies are when you release R1 instead of where they're going, you'd always miss anything with any lateral momentum), you can actually move (albeit slowly) with an arrow nocked and drawn, scope range is much more flexible (why was the vertical axis so restricted zoomed in in DS1? Ugh).

The input lag is weird. For me it only ever happens trying to bring up the status screen or mash through Herald dialogue to level (so thankfully irrelevant in combat), though chargen was also bizarrely clunky (sit and wait ~10 seconds for changes to character's physical appearance to actually show up).

The toughest Souls game is always the first one you play.

Andy: Smelter Demon's soul turns into a greatsword that actually looks pretty rad (though I haven't personally used it in combat because used all my dragon bones already). And yes, he is a bastard.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 10:38:03 AM by El Cideon »

jsh357

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: March 24, 2014, 01:38:43 PM »
I have noticed the most input lag/failure with trying to use jump attacks.  It's especially bad if you have a slow r2.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:22 PM »
I actually found Dark harder than Demon's and played Demon's first. (multiple times)
Demon's had way easier bosses + infinite healing, basically.

The beginning was really rough though.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: March 24, 2014, 02:13:03 PM »
I think DS2's the hardest for me. Just seems like enemies do a lot more damage than Dark Souls and especially Demon Souls and the Estus flask change makes it a lot harder early on. Slower recovery on being guard broken and after using Estus is a factor as well. 

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: March 24, 2014, 03:56:36 PM »
Bravely Default - Took a peek at the bad ending. Welp, saw that coming some three chapters away. Nice touch on some of the dialogue, though. The game's brutally self-aware at that point. Now, to beat the fake final boss again and cleave my path to the true ending.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: March 24, 2014, 04:20:40 PM »
FFD: Holy crap, randoms mean business once you get toward the end of C3. Thank God for MP-stealing abilities or I'd never have the healing to keep up.

Anyway, I'm up to the ninja chapter, specifically the Leviathan fight, which was almost certainly a terrible idea because (a) I don't have the ninja temp yet; (b) I didn't buy Thundaga back at town; and (c) healing and status curing is taking up so much of my time that I barely have turns to hurt him anyway (and nobody who does have that time has lightning offense). Maybe I should come back later.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

interrobangbang

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: March 24, 2014, 09:29:10 PM »
Honestly I sorta feel like the "bad" ending of Bravely Default was (spoilers from here) meant to be part of the good ending, but they decided that the game needed to go on for longer or that "properly" ending the game would require all 20 crystals to be turned on, so they split it into a "bad" ending that honestly feels more satisfactory to me and a "good" ending where you ignore half the moralizing and everyone pretends that Airy's a good guy until they can justify beating her up to get to the real bad guy. I don't know; I feel like the game was intended to just be three worlds (3-2-1) and got stretched at some point. The refights in worlds 4 & 3 don't add much, the "bad" ending right up until Airy's final speech felt so much cleaner... maybe I'm inserting how I would've rather seen it, but there's a lot of ways they could've trimmed fat and concisely done so much more/made both endings have so much more punch and impact.

It might say something as to how much I like the game that I'm thinking through the problems, as relatively small as they actually wind up being, and attempting to figure out how I'd make it even better.

Also, I'll still maintain that breaking the last crystal in world 3, after all the buildup, just feels so goddamn right. May be another part of why I think a three-world setup would've fit far better.