imageRegister

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183442 times)

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #600 on: March 15, 2014, 07:25:10 AM »
South Park: The Stick of Truth- fin.  I am stunned this game only got an M.  Great set pieces and solid gameplay though.  Misses a 9 I think but an easy 8.

You can get away with a lot when things are low res. Anyway, I just finished. Good stuff. Reminds me of Paper Mario in many (good) ways.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: March 15, 2014, 10:06:20 AM »
How dependent is enjoying South Park game upon being familiar with the show? My interest in seeing Obsidian produce a thing in conjunction with the show's creators is countered by the certainty that I wouldn't get 95% of the references (generally not a South Park watcher, or TV watcher in general really).

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: March 15, 2014, 11:57:34 AM »
The Stick of Truth was made by Obsidian? That's going on a list of games to play.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:53 PM »
Bravely Default - This suddenly got very weird.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: March 15, 2014, 06:27:24 PM »
How dependent is enjoying South Park game upon being familiar with the show? My interest in seeing Obsidian produce a thing in conjunction with the show's creators is countered by the certainty that I wouldn't get 95% of the references (generally not a South Park watcher, or TV watcher in general really).

I would say not particularly. I liked it and I haven't watched the show in years.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #605 on: March 15, 2014, 10:42:24 PM »
For the most part the references are limited to item descriptions.  Game does assume you know the basic personalities of the main four but that's about it.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: March 15, 2014, 10:53:34 PM »
That and a bunch of different songs from the show are played in stores around town.  It was a strange experience to hear Let's Fighting Love! play when I first entered the self-storage place.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43:18 PM »
Mileage varies on getting the references. It certainly helps, but I could easily see the game being enjoyable without getting them all.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: March 15, 2014, 11:57:11 PM »
As someone who only has a passing knowledge in hitherto last 10 years or so of the show it felt to me like they were more going over a greatest hits than references. Most stuff that is "this is just like the show!" is played through the same beats without nudge nudge wink wink just like that one time you guys.

So yeah if you don't hate South Park but don't watch it then it is still enjoyable. As an Obsidian fan I saw less of them in it than South Park to be honest, but it is still a solid game.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: March 16, 2014, 01:50:36 AM »
I'm sure part of that is that Trey and Matt wrote the game rather than the Obsidian dudes.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: March 16, 2014, 01:58:42 AM »
Even mechanically it doesn't really feel too strongly of Obsidian though I mean, it is a servicable system, but it definitely feels like something targeted to be functional with broad acceptance without much particularly unique about it.

Not that Obsidian really have had a chance to carve a niche like that particularly strongly with how many sequels they have got to do.

Game Dev Tycoon - Late on this, don't remember buying it and saw it in my Steam List (humble bundle?) it was fun to run through.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: March 16, 2014, 04:02:48 AM »
DS2: Harvest Valley and Earthen Peak to start things out. Sounded like the least offensive option available and circumstances mostly bore that out. Three deaths to the horrible horrible ambush room in the former but otherwise clean run today (wait no I did some belated looting of Bastile secrets and took one fatal fall for an irrelevant item. Go me). Not actually entirely done with the latter for reasons about to be noted along with other stuff:

-Whatup, Gavlan, why don't you migrate to Majula with all the other cool kids already? I need to buy more antidote moss! (Jesus why is this shit so expensive.)

-Covetous Demon at first was just man, Jabba, you've really let yourself go. Then he ate my equipment. Moment of terror, "That shit better not be permanently gone, you fuckers!" Nope, just de-equipped. I stop just long enough to re-equip my bow and then finish the fight in my underwear. Mostly because convenience but also appropriate because Jabba.

-My diligence in attacking every treasure chest in the game is finally rewarded!

-The pit has ladders now. Even superfluous ones, ladders for all!

-Fudo, have you been here? I went on summon mode to the boss a couple times; one time the boss room (and the leadup to it) was filled with poison, the other time it wasn't. No idea what clears it! I keep seeing torch messages but there's nothing obvious to light up. Definitely not walking through the gate without clearing that gunk out first. Come to think of it, there were some places in the lower Peak that weren't accessible due to poison pits either...hrm.

-That black phantom is terrifying. I just straight up ran away when he did huge chunks of damage right through my shield and bleed and wall of HP and augh. I am guessing there's dark damage tied to his attack given how bad my shield is for that (I have nothing that covers both that and physical well, sadly). He must be guarding something cool! (Or not because Dark Souls.) Definitely not in the way of the boss gate, anyway.

Left to unpetrify dudes when I couldn't figure a way to deal with either of the above. Gave pyrogirl my starting armor set and dumped a bunch of souls to upgrade flame and buy pyromancies. This was actually pretty wasteful as I realize now pyromancy does in fact scale with intelligence and/or faith for damage--it only retains the DS1 trait of not having stat requirements for use--so it'll always be useless for me for offense. Oh well, can still lob fireballs to break poison jars, or use the buffs I guess. And where the heck does Straith go? We're having a nice conversation and I even bought stuff from him and then he suddenly calls me a twit and warps away...somewhere.

Poked around in Shaded Woods a little. Jesus you guys really like ambushes don't you. Bugged out when I hit the foggy area and hey that dude running around out there is that another player's phantom or an enemy? ...Exactly.

Running with large club +5 thanks to Harvest Peak haul. Damage and stagger power are great but it does that same bizarre attack redirection thing sometimes. I think I see why now: for weapons where a brief charge is part of the attack animation, if you have any momentum when you hit the attack button the game assumes that that is the direction in which you wish to attack even if you are already locked on and facing an enemy and will therefore reorient your character to have it charge in this new direction. This is infuriating. Did you people fucking forget what the purpose of lock-on was in the first place? So, every time I want to hit anything, I have to make sure to take a split second to release the movement button and remain motionless before I attack or I'll go veering off in undesired directions. Sigh.

Sticking with the weapon because LARGE CLUB but that shit has almost killed me so many times already and I'm sure it's only a matter of time before it does.

EDIT: ah, but how could I forget--*Cid cures poison* *Cid watches poison meter continue to rise* God dammit you guys.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 04:24:08 AM by El Cideon »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: March 16, 2014, 05:54:06 AM »
It was gonna be my next destination but the PS3 I was borrowing got taken back and mine's still in the shop.  For over a week.  Ugh.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: March 16, 2014, 12:35:46 PM »
How long does it take to fix a PS3? Geez. Also I assume switching machines means you need to restart the game...

Totally forgot the most important discovery from yesterday: you guys, I found CHAMELEON. Aw yes. I also found the whip, but Earthen Peak is too far in to make full-game Indy mode possible even if I was interested in trying it (and I am prepared to state already that I won't feel inclined to obsessively tinker with different builds here like I did in DS1).

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: March 16, 2014, 04:29:18 PM »
Gref: Seems to be something wholy different from chors and stoccato ! Need to link it but DARK SOULS 2

Amazon predicted I was going to get Dark Souls 2 on monday. So I just checked friday and Amazon said "Surprise it's already in your mailbox!!"

We often separate gameplay vs plot but what would be more coherent would be challenge vs plot vs exploration.

Plot: Narrative
"Exploration": (in lack of a better world) The discovery of the game world + The cool shit you can do by poking around
Challenge: How satisfying mechanics are and how they test you

People are more inclined towards one or another. I'm totally a challenge person (w/ some exploration to enhance challenge at times), Gref is exploration / plot, NEB is challenge / plot. For ex.
Super Hexagon and Super Mario Bros are challenge games without anything else
Minecraft, Skyrim and GTA are exploration games without anything else (pretty much) There's nothing really mechanically interesting in these games, the point is just to be able to do what you're doing in the games ; the point is to be able to build a castle / destroy a castle. 
Phoenix Wright and Virtual novels are plot games without anything else

FF is all over the place about this.

Anyway Dark Souls is like 2% plot 28% exploration 70% challenge, then only about challenge all subsequent playthroughs.
It's been a while since I've felt a truly Soulsian exploratory adventure. What this means is going to new places, getting murdered or witnessing something terrifying, saying "Hahah nope" and going somewhere else. A lot. And generally having a miserable and confusing experience. It's great.

Highlights:
- Getting eaten a few times by that cyclop at the beginning.
- Getting annihilated by piglets, then beating them after a grueling fight for like 30 souls
- Getting in the blue dudes covenant, then seeing that other covenant available with no explanation but a bunch of "DON'T DO IT" bloodmarks left by other players.
- That pit in the middle of the town
- Lightning torches for no apparent reason. I've been doing this for a while.
- This stone you insert into a mouth? That makes one terrible blue face appear? It helped in the Jack Sparrow level at least.
- 5x Crossbow trap
- The fight on the giant sword
- That surprise boss in the blue cathedral

Bosses beaten: Giant, red dude, blue cathedral dude, Double pirate, flying eagle badass, sentinels.
Areas available: Down the pit, farther below the pit, forest of hunter jerks, and waifu boss fight. (in the flooded area) I'm exploring before fighting "waifu" because girl is fucking insane.

I went with a dual wielding swordsman (no shields, no magic, two weapons, no summoning other players) and I only just realized (25 hours in) that I wasn't actually doing proper dual wielding stuff.

Turns out that if I held Triangle I could get into this awesome power stance and slash with bow my sword and my rapier at the same time (don't question this logic, this does a lot of damage)
I couldn't do it with my more exotic/bigger weapons I wanted to use though. So it's the only time I checked something on the Internet because hey at this point I deserved it. (Turns out you need 150% of the stat requirement to get into the dual wielding stance. WOULD HAVE BEEN NICE TO KNOW)

I still got a lot of mileage out of Fire sword R1 (stunning the opponent) + POKEPOKE with the rapier even without the awesome dual wielding stance.

Stats are 22ish vitality and 40ish adaptability. I can adapt!! Not sure this does anything but add i-frames to the roll (pretty nice, admittedly)

I want to use something other than my fire sword and rapier, so I'm focusing on dex next because str weapons are just too heavy.

I've bought the falcon set from the first merchant and haven't removed it yet. Except to wear a monocle.

As for the game itself, the change in mechanics didn't sound good to me before realse. But hey, more Souls I can't complain. So I was expecting something sub Dark Souls but still decent. I anticipated it much like I anticipated the yearly Metroidvania handheld releases (I miss these) But actually I welcome pretty much any change to the Souls formula except not being able to level up at bonfires.

- The return of consumable items doesn't have a major impact, they're just sometimes the extra push needed to beat a boss or get through an area. Meanwhile, estus flasks shards have become an AWESOME reward for exploration and beating bosses.

- Losing a little bit of max HP after every death actually changes the whole game and adds another dimension of risk vs reward. I'm trying (and failing) to be careful more often.

- Enemies are better, control is better, the roll is more interesting (less overpowered) than before, the controls are slightly better (they were near perfect for me but now I'm always rolling in the right direction after an attack, unlike in Dark Souls)

- I especially like the very intense early game fights when you only have a few flasks available, and the more personal boss fights against dudes of relatively normal size and width instead of giant dragons and golems.

- The things that make Souls games good that never get mentioned (level design & verticality, enemy design, atmosphere) are as good as always.

- I get summoned 15 seconds after putting a message on average. This is mind blowing after Dark and Demon's Souls.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 06:40:21 PM by Fenrir »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #615 on: March 16, 2014, 06:14:40 PM »
Bravely Default - Chapter 6 starts. I chose to do the optional fights on C5, but this time around I'm mostly skipping them after checking out what they hand me. The extra JP would be nice, but I already have an average of four jobs mastered per PC. The Blue Mage equivalent class is a barrel of monkeys, by the way. Physical mage!

PsySlaver

• Denizen
  • Still the best Valkyrie
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: March 16, 2014, 09:48:47 PM »
South Park: The Stick of Truth - Got this. Seems nice so far.

Also, hi everyone.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: March 17, 2014, 12:29:47 AM »
Civ 5 - The best science victory is one where you destroy all the leaders but one and then go for the science victory because you don't have that achievement yet and can't reasonably get diplomacy for obvious reasons or social because your empire now spans the entire map.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: March 17, 2014, 01:03:56 AM »
Bravely Default - C6 continues to be weird and to get subtly, but increasingly meta. I've been doing some of the optional fights again just for kicks, and it's actually kind of a barrel of monkeys.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: March 17, 2014, 01:40:26 AM »
Sounds like I need to listen to the FF7 world map to look forward it.

Bosses beaten: Giant, red dude, blue cathedral dude, Double pirate, flying eagle badass, sentinels.

I would play this Megaman X game.

You would rate the controls that well?  The way the others have been talking they sound less tight than the ones in Dark Souls though.  Wondering on that.  (Frankly controls in the games have always sounded bad to me.  Any time you can be killed but lock on or clunky controls sounds sloppy to me...)

Also all this Bravely Default posts make me want pretty bad.  Need to finish Pokedudes.  Probably want to finish SMT: Strange Journey too.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:42:04 AM by Grefter »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: March 17, 2014, 01:44:21 AM »
DS2: Chariot, skeletons, huge worm-thing, and lost sinner down.
Social life reduced to Dark Souls 2 + going to bars for one week.

I'm at the last bonfire of the Poizn fortress, trying to get all the treasure insides and trying to understand what the hell Pat is talking about. And anticipating the boss.

Dual wielding whips is really cool but I'm just not ready for this yet. Seems that you can only dual wield similar weapons. Mace + Sword is cool, Sword + Rapier is cool, Whip + Anything but a whip is not cool.
I've been neglecting weapons, all my souls are going into strength and dex. ... And cool looking armor.

Also joined every covenant but the scary one at Majula. I have 6 Medal Of Nice Girl, 4 Medal Of Jerk, and 1 Sunlight Medal.

Edit: I've had no problem with the controls at all. The roll in the wrong direction in a very specific situation from Dark Souls 1 is absent, and jumps are more precise. Otherwise they're still pretty much perfect for me or I wouldn't be playing really. Can't stand games with bad controls.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:49:45 AM by Fenrir »

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:20 AM »
I should mention that I try not to read into the meat of other Dark Souls 2 post just to have every surprise in the game intact.

Invading is really fun now!  Since it's easy and there's a low barrier of entry.

Dark Souls is like an entire game out of the platforming levels in SSBM, with some optional PvP going on on the sides.
Players are mostly used to the way their character controls against AI enemies, and aren't particularly at ease with the PvP aspect. Everybody just plays badly, me included (I'm really terrible at Dark Souls PvP and never improve) Fights are messy and close, people try to use the environment in creative ways, people are inexperienced enough to fall into obvious traps, etc. Very fun stuff.

After a few months most people playing know PvP very well indeed and there's no way you can win against anyone. And nobody falls for traps.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #622 on: March 17, 2014, 05:18:51 AM »
Not 100% sure what the roll thing you're talking about is. That when if you accidentally hit circle during an attack or jump or whatever sometimes the game would make you roll several seconds later? That was pretty annoying (if infrequent). Haven't seen it happen here.

I wouldn't call the control here bad, but there are some nervous tics that annoy me (blocking keeping you tied down just a smidge longer than feels comfortable, lock-on lingering on dying enemies just a tad longer than it should, the game occasionally ignoring lock-on and sending me in totally different directions when I happen to hit R1 while moving laterally). I'm getting used to it all by this point but there are times it still feels less natural than Game Cid Has Played Way More Than Is Healthy.

I'm also inclined to disagree with you about the enemies since the game's had plenty of scrub bosses so far. The environments are great, though.

I get summoned 15 seconds after putting a message on average. This is mind blowing after Dark and Demon's Souls.

Sometimes I don't even have time to close the menu before this happens! It's crazy. PVP and co-op seem much cleaner from what I've played so far. I've only seen backstabbery happen once (though it was the dreaded lagstab from across the room). It is good to be messing with this stuff when the game is new and nobody knows anything rather than later when everyone uses the same goddamn equipment (though I'm already getting sick of seeing the Sinner's mask).

Speaking of--(transitioning to progress report stuff that Fenrir wants to avoid, though the first paragraph at least is possibly within your experience by now. Up to you man, some of that part constitutes direct response to your post):

-Earthen Peak finished. Turns out the thing I needed to burn was right by the bonfire. Y'know, by the constant "Try Torch" signs. I hadn't reached the actionable spot because narrow ledge over fall to certain doom. Despite having stuck around here long enough to farm out the whole desert sorceress outfit (because I am nothing if not predictable, that is now my standard armor), there's some loot here I haven't figured out how to reach. The corpse on the broken central platform right past the first bonfire, and the one across the gap with the lone sorceress at the top of the zone...how the heck are either of these accessed? I ran all over mashing X for secret doors, nothing.

And Fenrir: all Pate wants you to do is run right past his room, hang a right, smash the railing to your right, and drop down to loot a chest. This is much less offensive than his first request!

-Anyway once the boss is dealt with and I've farmed the gear I want from this place we take an elevator from the top of the tower up to...a castle floating in a sea of lava. Wait what. How does this geography work you guys I don't understand--anyway this place isn't too bad because everything's weak to strike damage and I can smash the silver knight wannabes in two hits. I make one unsuccessful attempt at the first boss here (I summoned Lucatiel but she failed to follow me through the fog gate, meaning I boosted the boss's durability for no benefit. Thanks for that, Girl Fawkes) and then warp out with my loot because holy hell it's about time: now I can buy infinite large titanite shards! (And yet I still struggle to find regular shards, this is a mad world in which we find ourselves.)

Also, Zweihander found! (I have no intention of using it, though.)

-Shaded Woods explored! Oh my god that foggy area. That was real special. I basically ran around in a blind panic picking up what items I could and murdering anyone who cornered me before fleeing in terror. There's probably stuff in there that I missed but I so don't care, I got a Chloranthy Ring +1 out of the trip and it seems doubtful there's anything I could want more. Cursey area was, well, I'm just glad I left to buy that ring first. It's terrifying how swiftly that bar fills up even with the ring. And I dunno if I have any cures for that. Took the boss in one shot, Quelaag's cousin not too much trouble as long as she isn't using magic.

-Poked around in Doors of Pharros just enough to be very confused. I'm walking around fighting belligerent Ganeshas when suddenly "You are being summoned to another world as a gray phantom" what in the world. What kind of crazy covenant drags people to the host's own world to fight his own monsters which are apparently on his side for some reason? That is just crazy. I kill the host because he's a squishy sorcerer counting on bad footing to keep melee goons at bay and I can jump like ten feet with large club R2 leap. I get a Pharros' lockstone out of the victory but flee the zone out of sheer confusion about WTF just happened you guys for real.

-Okay I can stop complaining about ore now. Farm regular shards from Harvest Valley fatties, use gained souls to buy large shards from McDuff, keep bell covenant ring on to murder people for chunks (Would guess I manage a 50% success rate at this, which is decent for me and PVP!) Reasonably efficient process but armor set demands mass quantities. Yo dawg we heard you liked farming titanite so we put titanite in your invasions so you could farm titanite while you farm titanite. And now I have a +10 large club! Sitting on a cool 491 attack power and that's just at the minimum stat requirement. So then I just need to round out my rapier, my bow, my scandalous attire...

...except suddenly the normal enemies in Harvest Valley stop respawning when I hit the bonfire. Whaaaat.

Other random notes from today:

-There's a fast-ladder-climb input! The animation is 100% yakkety sax.

-I know you might want to attack the horrible harpy demon, but you must never attack the horrible harpy demon. I can't find her house like she told me to, though. I also have no idea what the scorpion dude is for in Shaded Woods. It was an act of will not to shoot him from the second floor, just happened to see other PC phantoms interacting with him and decided to give it a shot. Sum total dialogue = "...?" So he's Quelaag's cousin's sibling, clearly?

-Birdbrains gave me a whip! It actually looks pretty excellent, and trying it out I love the moveset. Want to add this to the standard lineup but it needs twinkling titanite and I have no notion where to reliably find that stuff yet (and I used all I've found on my shield). I guess this does make Indy mode theoretically feasible, I think explorers start with tradable stones so I could delete/restart until I get the whip (would probably require many levels to use the damn thing though).

-It turns out if you do the Warcry gesture on a sloping surface you go surfing. This is excellent.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: March 17, 2014, 05:47:40 AM »
-Doors of Pharros: Welcome to ratbroing.

-Harpy Lady: She moves in to a spot past the Doors of Pharros.

-Not Quelaag's Sister: The cat in Majula will sell the Ring of Whispers to talk to him.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: March 17, 2014, 02:29:09 PM »
Bravely Default - This is starting to get pretty danged meta.