Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183442 times)

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #500 on: March 08, 2014, 05:23:49 AM »
Soul Silver: Morty is still owned by a Normal type who has a non-damaging move.  Also, I randomly caught a Tauros and impulsively decided I'd use it because it's a Gen 1 Pokemon I never used before that isn't total crap.  This honestly feels like a thing with this playthrough...I blame Gen 2 Pokemon sucking.

ToGf: So we've entered Celestia Tethe'ala Fodra recently, and went to an abandoned lab because that's kind of a requirement in these games.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: March 08, 2014, 05:29:03 AM »
I think the idea is to establish why nobody really suspects the Ethos of being Solaris.  They may be on both sides of the war but it's just to fund their charitable endeavors.  People aren't vanished just at other branches etc.

They don't need to establish why nobody suspects them of being Solaris.  Neither Aveh or Kislev know Solaris exists.  Also, neither of them know that the Ethos are manipulating the war to keep it going.  That's something we get told in the opening text crawl, not by NPCs in game.

Frankly by this point in the game I had completely forgotten what a text crawl some 20 hours earlier had told me. Also, if it's something we only got through the text crawl before the twist, it sounds more like the text should have been omitted from the crawl rather than the twist omitted from the game.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: March 08, 2014, 01:19:58 PM »
Dark Souls: Being two years out of practice means I get my ass beat by everything.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #503 on: March 08, 2014, 04:20:52 PM »
I think the idea is to establish why nobody really suspects the Ethos of being Solaris.  They may be on both sides of the war but it's just to fund their charitable endeavors.  People aren't vanished just at other branches etc.

They don't need to establish why nobody suspects them of being Solaris.  Neither Aveh or Kislev know Solaris exists.  Also, neither of them know that the Ethos are manipulating the war to keep it going.  That's something we get told in the opening text crawl, not by NPCs in game.

Frankly by this point in the game I had completely forgotten what a text crawl some 20 hours earlier had told me. Also, if it's something we only got through the text crawl before the twist, it sounds more like the text should have been omitted from the crawl rather than the twist omitted from the game.

I have always wondered if the opening crawl is a relic of a version where the war is much more important to the story than it ended up being.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: March 08, 2014, 04:22:16 PM »

ToGf: So we've entered Celestia Tethe'ala Fodra recently, and went to an abandoned lab because that's kind of a requirement in these games.

Wait until the next dungeon for the real ~treat~

Tales of Symphonia Chronicles/ToS- Colette Dog Lover title get. Oh wait no she didn't. Really it was Lloyd getting the Palmacosta Prof title from Orienteering. Why you lie to me game. Hope this doesn't mess up getting actual Dog Lover title later. So yeah I am playing this now, first time run~ Current team is Colette, Lloyd. Kratos (hnnghh ^-^) and Raine/Genis. Was Raine for the Water Seal place and Palmacosta boss then Palmacosta ranch and boss, Genis earlier in the game inc Fire Seal place, now I am using Genis again for randoms so he can get new stuffs. Everyone is L21~

Colette Para Ball and Raine Photon combo is <3

Oh yeah mostly been playing this on Normal so far (some Hard earlier in game) because I am trying to get titles for not using gels and for not getting knocked out for Genis and Colette.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 04:25:30 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: March 08, 2014, 06:36:44 PM »
First time playing through ToS, eh?  Well, I suppose the game may have a chance to breathe then!

The second playthrough of ToS (if you do one), I really pity the game, given CT style of replays <_<;

Also, I might consider replaying ToS somepoint in the future on Hard Mode because...reasons?  I dunno.  Been a while and wonder how the game holds up given how many advancements in the franchise have occurred since.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: March 08, 2014, 06:42:17 PM »
Bravely Default: Assault on the tower of Team Boss Fights.

The enemies cheat. So, so much.  This calls for all the broken you can bring to bear, whether it be cripplingly awesome offense, borderline "I Win" buttons via field damage reduction tricks, or buying your win via HP doubling and other stuff. "normal" tactics just will not work at all against that much enemy offense.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2014, 06:46:28 PM by Pyro »

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: March 08, 2014, 07:11:06 PM »
Dark Souls: Being two years out of practice means I get my ass beat by everything.

Haha. I just made one last NG++ run with my Darkmoon Blade (because it's the kind of build I expect to shoot for in DS2) and actually had my first ever death to Gaping Dragon. I'm still not sure what happened! He's doing his whole "I'm gonna charge into a wall trying to trample you" thing like he always does, I run after him to cut him up once he halts and suddenly *DEAD* from full health. I guess in my eagerness to exploit buffs while they lasted got caught in the last tremor of his charge, but 1100+ damage? That's nutty even for NG++. The only thing I can figure is he was somehow still under effect of trident dance buff (I ran to the fog gate immediately after killing the channeler, who definitely did activate the buff before dying). I also managed to backflip to my doom off the Anor Londo rafters while cutting the chandelier chain (accidentally triggered curved sword evade instead of regular attack) and fall off the first Crystal Cavern invisible platform (this has never happened before). Altogether embarrassing death run, not encouraging.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: March 08, 2014, 11:23:44 PM »
Simon The Sorcerer 3D - finished

Through copious amounts of saving, I slowly managed with the incessant crashing. The worst times was when there were longish cutscenes, because the game has no sceneskip. Typically, it took the whole PC down during the credits, so I looked up the rest of those on youtube rather than kicking off the ending sequence again in case there was anything entertaining in what was left (there wasn't).

In opposition to my earlier complaints about needing to be positioned precisely to talk to people early on, later on there are a lot of people you can talk to from any direction (including at least one where you're actually required to do so to solve a puzzle). Then you've still got people like Calypso who you have to speak to from across a table and can't speak to from next to him. The heck is your problem, game.

Another thing that's quite annoying - the game keeps re-ordering your inventory for no apparent reason. So you can either (forwards-only) scroll through your inventory and probably miss the thing you're looking for because it's not in a consistent place, or you can fall back on going to the subscreen all the time. In theory you can use the mouse in the subscreen, but in practice you can't (unless you only have a single monitor) because the game firstly doesn't trap the mouse pointer within itself, and secondly runs the mouse at a different 'resolution' than the one Windows does so by the time you've moved the in-game mouse pointer 2/3s across the screen the Windows cursor is outside the game, and clicking will consequently swap you out of it. Terrible.

Anyway, the ending is easily worse than the ending for Simon 2, mainly because there's no closure for the established villain and a new villain is introduced out of nowhere then the game immediately ends on cliffhanger. Specifically: Sordid escapes the collapse of the world (a problem you had nothing to do with, essentially you just showed up as he was inflicting it on himself while trying to take control of it)... somehow, given that there doesn't seem to be anywhere to escape to. You put the boot disc in the computer and then an evil version of yourself jumps out (of the computer) and cackles about how you now have control of the universe. THE END.

A puzzle near the end of the game requires you to open the CD drive on your computer because 4th wall puzzles are just the best things ever, right, especially for anyone who had to remove their CD drive after installing the game or something (I don't know if the original release required the CD in the drive or not). Typically, actually opening the BR drive doesn't actually work. I mounted an ISO in a virtual CD drive and that didn't work either. Then it inexplicably worked when I unmounted it.

Back to dumb things the plot does, in Chapter 5 you're tasked with acquiring the services of 4 heroes. After doing this, two of these heroes disappear from the game after doing literally nothing, and a third of them doesn't disappear from the game but doesn't actually do anything either. Well that was completely worth everyone's time then. Also, it eventually turns out that the Melissa Leg you see in the early parts of the game is actually Runt in disguise, which does explain how she retrieved Simon's body from Sordid at least, but it also turns out that Calypso knew all along that she was Runt and he just had you go along with what she wanted you to do despite the fact it was playing into Sordid's hands. Who even wrote this. (Probably one of the Woodroffes, I wasn't paying attention during the credits.)

In conclusion, monopoly.

I assume it's possible to find the english versions of Simon 4 and 5 around somewhere despite the companies which sold them having gone under, but I'm not going to bother with that for some time.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: March 09, 2014, 03:03:59 PM »
Little Inferno - Replaying this triggered the emotional response it originally did the first letter I go.  This game still destroys me.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: March 09, 2014, 10:09:18 PM »
FF7 Hard: Is easy. Cure still exists and is still full healing for next to no cost.
Stats including HP are cut by half and there are a ton of other nerfs and I don't even care.

Just beat Reno.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: March 10, 2014, 12:08:45 AM »

Haha. I just made one last NG++ run with my Darkmoon Blade (because it's the kind of build I expect to shoot for in DS2) and actually had my first ever death to Gaping Dragon. I'm still not sure what happened! He's doing his whole "I'm gonna charge into a wall trying to trample you" thing like he always does, I run after him to cut him up once he halts and suddenly *DEAD* from full health. I guess in my eagerness to exploit buffs while they lasted got caught in the last tremor of his charge, but 1100+ damage? That's nutty even for NG++. The only thing I can figure is he was somehow still under effect of trident dance buff (I ran to the fog gate immediately after killing the channeler, who definitely did activate the buff before dying). I also managed to backflip to my doom off the Anor Londo rafters while cutting the chandelier chain (accidentally triggered curved sword evade instead of regular attack) and fall off the first Crystal Cavern invisible platform (this has never happened before). Altogether embarrassing death run, not encouraging.

I think I've died to everything in the game except Nito and NPCs I never aggroed.  I'll still never wrap my head around my lose to Pinwheel.  It's FUCKING PINWHEEL.  I've gone into him with nearly no health and won before!

It's possible Gaping hit you during your attack animation gaining that Counter Hit damage and royally screwing you over.

Dark Souls: Know what's a good idea for getting back into the groove?  Trying to parry kill Havel!  It only took me a dozen or so deaths too.  I can't believe the Red Tearstone Ring was useful...

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: March 10, 2014, 12:47:42 AM »
Silly Fudo, Red Tearstone Ring is of course for OHKOing bosses: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=amTDfMtGyDY

I've died to Nito on NG+ or higher with PCs woefully inadequate for beating down an enhanced skelemob in melee and lacking the stats to do anything competent with divine weapons (basically sorcerers). I have no particular excuse for dying to Pinwheel either, though.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: March 10, 2014, 01:09:14 AM »
I'll have you know before this I only had two modes, full health or dead.  In betweens were for other people and that one pinwheel fight.

Since my faith guy was the only one I really ran through NG+s with he had even less trouble with Nito.  Lightning Bolts helped too.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: March 10, 2014, 01:46:22 AM »
Yeah I died against Pinwheel too.

"I think I've died to everything in the game except Nito and NPCs I never aggroed."
Dude don't tell me baby shrooms, tree lizards, frog rays, Priscilla, Crestfallen Warrior, Solaire, Hollowed Oscar, Rapier guy in Sen's Fortress and those two guys in Dark Anor Londo killed you, and not Nito ever

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: March 10, 2014, 02:30:41 AM »
Yeah I died against Pinwheel too.

"I think I've died to everything in the game except Nito and NPCs I never aggroed."
Dude don't tell me baby shrooms, tree lizards, frog rays, Priscilla, Crestfallen Warrior, Solaire, Hollowed Oscar, Rapier guy in Sen's Fortress and those two guys in Dark Anor Londo killed you, and not Nito ever

Baby shroom got a kill by a lucky follow-up after a daddy.  Tree lizard got me with poison because of the ambush.  Frog rays.... nope!  Don't think I ever died to them, you got me!  I've purposely died to Priscilla-chan due to tail failures.  Never aggroed Crestfallen... I think...  Maggot Solaire never killed me either, but MY HEART DIED.  Hollow Oscar did kill me once and I was really annoyed at that.  Ricard in Sen's did so once or twice as well.  I think he actually got off a riposte.  I don't think I've ever actually made Dark Anor Londo so they haven't killed me either.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: March 10, 2014, 02:52:09 AM »
Bravely Default - Currently doing the Vampire asterisk sidequest - I have a job mastered for all my characters as of now (Black Mage for Ringabel, Ninja for Tiz, White Mage for Agnés and Ranger for Edea) and I'm approaching a second job for Edea in Thief. Arcanist + Group Cast + Black Magic makes for a horrifying random sweeper with Hermes Shoes on Ringabel currently: Sleep is pretty much perfect accuracy even MTed with a magic-twinked setup (as in I haven't seen it MISS since setting it up) and very few enemies even resist Death. Pondering getting Utsusemi for my whole party in order to cheese the boss as well, which wouldn't take long.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: March 10, 2014, 07:32:11 AM »
Bravely Default - Up to what I assume is the C2 boss; it is a bastard. I approve.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: March 10, 2014, 12:08:16 PM »
Fudo you are terrible.
....I think I've died to frog rays ans yes that's pretty pathetic >_>

You get to fight Crestfallen Warrior (Hollow) near the New Londo entrance if you talk to him enough so you've probably already fought him.

No Dark Anor Londo? Hmm. You missed those two (rather pathetic) dudes (best souls farming place until the patch for what it's worth) and Gwyndolin's two >:-( fun speeches (After killing fake Gwynevere + after entering his boss room after killing fake Gwynevere)

Things you might not have died against also include the crystal warrior in Duke's archives, NPC invaders (IIRC Mildred, Kirk, Leeroy, Xanthous, Chester), the witch near Bed of Chaos, those humanities in the DLC, Ciaran and the blacksmiths if you've killed them for their equipment, and the Shiva of the East / ninja duo. (At least I hope you've never died against this duo, for your sake)

Maaaaybe the fire breathing statues in Lost Izalith and the skeleton babies near Nito (They've both killed me though)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 12:12:46 PM by Fenrir »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:18 PM »
Oooooh right, I did make Crestfallen go Hollow in New Londo once way back in my first playthrough.  So that's another 1-0 victory for me.

Crystal Warrior is another no deaths.  NPC invaders: Leeroy and Jeremiah both scored kills, and I'm pretty sure Kirk got lucky with kicking me off a ledge once.  Mildred and Chester I never died too.  Eldest Sister.... no, never died to her either.  Humanity Ghosts managed to get me once after a bad fall.  Ciaran and Blacksmiths never died too either.  I think, Ciaran might have got a kill off me.  Shiva/Ninja managed to get me a few times because I fight in honorable combat.  Also I was in single-digit Soul Levels and taking off that much HP is obnoxious.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #520 on: March 10, 2014, 06:12:32 PM »
Bravely Default- Fin.  Took... ~67 hours.  Did both endings, but didn't do the division fights (and by extention Central Command) in Chapter 8.

This is a very interestingly designed endgame in general.  It's a game where levels go up to 100... and for the endgame, I got to the late 80s/early 90s and the final bosses still put up a fair fight (indeed, while the final boss is pretty slow paced, the other fight down there gave me a couple resets because Slaughter is pretty mean).  Also thanks to the parade of fights that are pretty easy but drop 999 JP you're actually likely to master 3 or 4 classes even with no grinding.  It's neat.

The game lulls majorly from early C5 to mid-C6 (when you can finally get the Conjurer sidequest).  It's a little bit just too much recycling, but much more because there's just a huge waste of teh concept.  Once you go past THAT into the much more meta final chapters there is something a bit closer to the first half of the game in overall quality.  Which is around 8/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: March 10, 2014, 06:42:14 PM »
Speaking of Dark Souls, due to catching a terminal case of lazy, I will not be finishing my replay pre-DS2 =(. I am p. much human garbage.

Speaking of Dark Souls 2 though... apparently that gets a midnight release.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: March 10, 2014, 07:07:13 PM »
Speaking of Dark Souls, due to catching a terminal case of lazy, I will not be finishing my replay pre-DS2 =(. I am p. much human garbage.

Speaking of Dark Souls 2 though... apparently that gets a midnight release.

Totally getting it at midnight myself.

Now if the PS3 gets fixed before then it'll be gravy!  fuck world

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: March 10, 2014, 09:01:54 PM »
I'm actually surprised there is a chapter 8. I'm already 25 hours in and still in chapter 2 (though at the very end, I believe). Does the game just speed up as it goes along, or is hard mode causing me to take way more time on battles than most people?

Also still playing Xenogears of course (update pending when I am non-lazy) and Tomb Raider (a bit past where Shale is).

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: March 10, 2014, 09:20:49 PM »
I'm actually surprised there is a chapter 8. I'm already 25 hours in and still in chapter 2 (though at the very end, I believe). Does the game just speed up as it goes along, or is hard mode causing me to take way more time on battles than most people?

Also still playing Xenogears of course (update pending when I am non-lazy) and Tomb Raider (a bit past where Shale is).

From Ch.5 and on, most quests become optional, so you can blitz your way to the end fairly quick.
The quests in ch.5 pretty much worth nothing and should be skipped so it won't harm your enjoyment of the game.
Ch.6 has the conurer quest and most other stuff don't really worth that much too. And this is where you might want to peak at the fake ending first.
Ch.7 and on is where things become really different and better not to skip.