Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183441 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #300 on: February 10, 2014, 07:17:14 PM »
Mana Khemia 2 - Just did the school festival. So yeah, I guess if you do no levelling and avoid all randoms solo Sasalina kills you before you get 2 turns. Good to know. Anyway, after that embarrassment, I levelled a bit, won the school festival!!! which pissed Flay off, and now I am trying to make enough money to buy all of the recipes while trying to get to only modestly underlevelled instead of super underlevelled.

The game definitely walks the fine line between humorous and creepy quite effectively. Battle system is pleasantly enjoyable but not too stressful until I got massively underlevelled. Goto is a really terrible PC and a horrible human being.

Order of Eccelsia - Final boss! I've gotten him down to about 1/3rd of his remaining health, but the below half HP form is a real bitch.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: February 10, 2014, 07:25:42 PM »
Bravely Default: Started this up. It's very good so far! FF5-esque Job system although it seems that you gain jobs a bit slower. Music and graphics are also pretty nice and the writing is fun. Playing through on hard mode and the difficulty is very swingy so far. In particular the second dungeon with the orcs was brutal, but picking up the black mage helped a lot and the next dungeon was much easier. I tried to do the Thieves Cave sidequest on the second continent, but I think I'll need to get a bit further before I try the boss because I just don't have enough offense to deal with them right now. Enemies love their status effects which can be pretty annoying when you Brave 4x with your Monk and then the asshole Sandworm blinds him before you get your turn. (I am not a fan of the sandworms.)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: February 11, 2014, 03:52:05 AM »
Bravely Default:  William Shatner has discovered a Strange. Alien. City whose entire population is female.  He Must. Make. The noble sacrifice of having sex with all of them.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: February 11, 2014, 04:56:39 AM »
Bravely Default - Merchant Ringabel is dapper as fuck. Dark Lord...I mean Time Mage Tiz is kinda dorky looking, though(seriously, is it just me or does the BD Time Mage outfit look more appropriate for a dark knight? Or maybe some kind of warlock class?)

<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: February 11, 2014, 06:27:00 AM »
Mana Khemia 2 - Just beat Sasalina for the third time. Girl has serious issues.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: February 11, 2014, 08:50:10 PM »
BG2: A druid decided to challenge a monk to a punching match. I won't spoil anything but Stunning Fist.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: February 11, 2014, 09:05:37 PM »
Takes 15 Charisma to be a Druid but only 12 Wisdom, just saying.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: February 12, 2014, 12:24:46 AM »
Xenogears - Falling behind with the posts here. Or I've just been playing a bunch.

Hour 6: The setting here is Bart's hidden base. To some extent this part of the game remains kinda slow because Bart plot just isn't as interesting as the game wants it to be. In this arc, Fei goes from not wanting to fight at all to getting over that, as Elly's troops attack the base. I'm torn on what I think of Fei's conflict here. Part of me thinks it's a bit ham-fisted, to have Fei be shown the "right" way to go (and we can debate how right it is that he get involved with a country to whom he owes no obligation) mostly because Gebler soldiers are fine with killing children apparently (which, to be fair, isn't just "enemy soldiers are jerks", as the game implies the behaviour is drug-induced). But part of me has respect for the game realising that, even if the game had to bring Fei's inner conflict to a rather predictable resolution, it deserves props for dealing with this conflict at all. The best scene of the hour, somewhat surprisingly, comes from Bart, who appeals to Fei to do something with his life, and with his ability as a gear pilot - not just to run away. That the best thing he can do to atone for destroying his village is to oppose the warmongers who cause such villages to be destroyed, and will continue to do so. It's a simplified view of things but it's heartfelt and probably what Fei needed.

Also Schpariel, the boss here, is worse than Calamity unscaled while you get a third PC and new upgrades, okay Xenogears whatever.

Hour 7: Bledavik. Let me start by saying that I love this city. When I first played the game this stood out as my favourite city in any RPG. Given the game's graphical limitations, I just adore that first look of the bustling market street you see upon entering town; it really made me buy that this was a big city in a way that a few wandering sprites in the old SNES-style maps never remotely managed to convey. Ultimately the city actually isn't even -that- big (which honestly is a positive, since otherwise it could be overwhelming), but it creates the feel of a big city which I have a lot of respect for.

Almost immediately after entering we meet a bunch of new characters! Ramsus and Miang's introductions are almost insultingly normal on a replay; you would never guess that Ramsus would end up to be the total headcase from the way he takes charge of the situation, and you would never guess that his innocent-seeming female flunky is in fact the game's main villain. While these transformations don't take long to begin, I think it's amusing how XG establishes expectations with these characters, then takes both in completely different directions from those expectations. We also meet Margie, who obfuscates stupidity rather nicely as Ramsus interviews her (the first time I played the game, I legitimately believed she was a moron in this scene... or possibly just a young child, since her art makes it difficult to say). Shakhan's also pretty interesting here, as he appears loyal and obsequious before his Gebler benefactors, but is in actual fact spying on them and incredibly suspicious/frustrated with their involvement in Aveh politics. I like Shakhan. He's refreshingly straightforward in his villany, but pretty competent at it.

Other than that most of the rest of this hour is spent exploring town and figuring out how Margie will be rescued. Citan hatches a plan in which Fei will make a distraction by entering the tournament and Bart will sneak into the castle. This distraction feels unnecessary to me when the tournament would have been a distraction with or without Fei and Bart could really have used some help on the mission (as later events would prove!) but oh well, gotta get that RPG tournament in there I guess...

Hour 8: The rescue. So the plan that was set up in the previous hour is set into motion. Not much to say here, it largely goes according to plan. On the Fei duel side of things, we see that Miang recognises Fei (uh oh!), and he fights Wiseman in a confrontation which is kind of weird. I... could probably have done without Wiseman being in the game, I think; why would Kahn be this stupidly cryptic? If Grahf is constraining him in some way it would have been nice to have that elaborated on. Either way I don't think the character adds much. Also there is Dan. How the fuck does that kid make the semi-finals anyway? Where'd he learn that ether? You better not be trying to make Dan appear competent, Xenogears, that would be unforgivable.

Meanwhile, Bart rescues Margie and gets interrupted by Ramsus, so the two must fight it out. Fei miraculously breaks into the castle and joins (which doesn't make much sense but sure whatever). The womenfolk offer friendly healing support to their side because that's what they do! (see: Miang, expectations) I'd be kinda annoyed if the Miang thing didn't make it so funny.

Also Ramsus recognises Fei's martial arts as those of Id. I could complain about this - surely there are other people who have learned this martial art style in the world, so it would be foolish to jump to conclusions about Fei and Id - but to be fair Ramsus acknowledges they need not be the same person. He just has such a complex about Id that it's already starting to drive him up the wall, just being reminded about this. The first cracks in the Ramsus facade appear!

The PCs escape through the Gebler barracks, running into Elly. Yay! Elly shuffles all three into her room until the commotion dies down, while Bart squawks about being unable to trust her! Dude, she's hiding you in her room instead of just calling for the guards. Use your brain. When Elly arranges a gear for them to steal so they can escape (nicely paralleling how Fei saved her life earlier, though the game doesn't dwell on this), Bart doens't even offer a word of apology or thanks. I'm remembering why I don't like him much. Anyway, Fei obviously wants Elly to come with them, hoping she's better than what he's seen of Gebler, but she refuses. It's pretty hard to blame her. Elly also confesses to her role in the destruction of Lahan and apologises for her earlier behaviour to Fei, who forgives her immediately. D'awww.

Ramsus is pissed and orders a pursuit of the escaping trio, but a soldier interrupts him with a message from 'Hyu'... this is one of those things which is so blatant but I didn't catch my first time through. The game just outright said Citan had the clout to order around Ramsus! But surely that's not the case...

Oh, and we meet Chu-Chu. "There is a doll in front of the door to the bridge! Let's find Margie so she can move it!" may be the most ridiculous line in Xenogears. I tell ya, this game takes itself so seriously normally, and then it throws in things like this...

Hour 9: Nisan. After the actually-somewhat-gameplay heavy (for early XG) previous hour, this one has none at all! I'll take it. :) After some exploring around town and learning about the war that is brewing against Shakhan, the PCs visit the Nisan cathedral. Citan talks a lot, as usual. Margie is also surprisingly fun in these scenes. She's a character I mostly was drawing a blank on before this replay but she has a surprisingly quick tongue. Maybe I just like anyone who ribs Bart at this point.

Fei sees a painting of Sophia, and decides she looks just like Elly. Fei is getting kinda obsessed now, it's cute. I do appreciate how in the couple of scenes the two have had the game has sold me on their interaction enough for me to absolutely buy this attraction.

Finally, it's time for major Sigurd and Citan plot. At the start of the hour Fei and Bart eavesdropped on them in a scene which revealed to him that they knew Ramsus and Miang from military school. Now, Bart confronts Sigurd about it, and Sigurd confesses everything, explaining his past as a Solarian and his role in the Gebler army, as loyal followers of Ramsus, whom they hoped would change the rotten Solarian system. Sigurd assures Bart that his loyalties now lie definitely with the surface world (while Citan is for once completely silent!). In this scene we learn a lot about how Solaris operates, its class system and reliance on slaves from the surface world to support its way of life. Good stuff. I'm also quite impressed with Xenogears that this reveal comes now instead of way later, as XG continues to keep its secrets from the player, but never too many, or for too long.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #308 on: February 12, 2014, 01:42:38 AM »
That reminds me that I always thought the war subplots of the game were grossly underserviced, considering the war is the main way that Solaris, through Gebler and the Ethos, are manipulating things on the main continent.  They could have stood to spend a little more time on it before shifting the plot focus away from Aveh and really never coming back to it except when Bart needs an Omnigear.  And of course Kislev in general could have stood to have another addition or two.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: February 13, 2014, 02:57:27 AM »
Bravely Default: Just freed the wind crystal. Still very enjoyable, the forest sage guy was pretty great, Orthrus was a huge pain. I probably could have dropped back down to normal difficulty, but I decided to be stubborn and beat it on hard. Really his breath attacks did not need to crit that was the biggest obstacle (Breath attacks are a 2HKO/high 3HKO on mages and other frailish classes. They can crit to make that a OHKO, oh and he's a multipart boss with two heads that both get an action.)

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: February 13, 2014, 03:59:15 AM »
BG2: Firkraag isn't immune to petrification. Next!

(Well, okay, I reloaded that because stoning and shattering him didn't give me his scales. Strangely, killed Thax via petrification as well and he just fell over dead in his usual animation.)

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: February 13, 2014, 04:00:47 AM »
Bravely Default:  This game really can't decide if it's supposed to be serious or humorous.  It does the serious pretty well for a jrpg, but then it's back to comedy 5 seconds later.

Starting to fight the Black Brigade.  Edea has been attack mage (Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner), Tiz has been my super-defense cleric with no offense whatsoever (White Mage, Merchant, Red Mage).  Agnes has been physical tank (Monk, Knight, Valkyrie).  Ringabel did a bit of Freelancer and has been in Thief ever since.  I keep waiting for an ability to open locked chests to show up in Thief but it hasn't, I'm assuming it's back in Freelancer instead.

Norende weapons break the earlygame pretty hard.  Bastet Claws on a monk destroy everything in Chapter 1.  Angel Bow on a Thief beats most of Chapter 2 and Lu Bu's Spear on a Valkyrie finishes off the Chapter (Jump hitting bosses for 5000).  Chapter 3 is where the game catches up to you and you have to use more resources to win battles.  Black magic really shining now.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: February 13, 2014, 04:34:40 AM »
Donkey Kong Country Returns: 3 Temples down, 4 to go!  Game decides it wasn't hard enough and thus gets harder, because clearly that's what this game needed: HIGHER DIFFICULTY!

(...as I've ranted a while back, it's actually refreshing to have games as difficult as this.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: February 13, 2014, 05:36:45 AM »
13: ffff Basilisks
14: Ambushed by giant rats while cursed.
15: Entered the Basilisk room the wrong way. It is amazingly hard to tell where Curse will abruptly kill you and where it will not.
16: I was apparently not out of range out of Gaping Dragon tail swipe. Damn you cursed HP.
17: Part the second. That tail's range is deceptively long.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 09:48:39 AM by AndrewRogue »

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: February 13, 2014, 06:05:51 AM »
Xenogears -

Hour 10: Well, fittingly after just learning about Citan and Sigurd's past as elites in a military officer school, it's time to plot a military expedition as the game does its best Suikoden impression. (Xenogears sometimes just wants to do a bit of everything.) Citan concocts a plan to retake the capitol. Fei, interestingly, is now all in for participating, volunteering for a rather dangerous job in part of the plan. The game tries to sell it as both a sign of the friendship he has built up with Bart after some of the talks they have had (and of seeing the people he is fighting for), and that he has done a better job of figuring out what he wants to do compared to previous. Things are starting to go pretty well for Fei, actually... which means that of course we get to see that dashed soon!

The operation begins. Margie remains behind, and she has a brief scene with Sister Agnes, which would be where the game finally passes the Bechdel test except they talk about Bart. <_< Margie now takes her exit from the game's plot for a long time. One definite annoyance with Xenogears I have now (which I'm certainly more sensitive to these days than I was as a teenager) is how slanted it is towards male characters, especially during this arc when there are frequently scenes with 3-5 males and no females at all. Kinda odd. The female characters do have important roles when they're around, but they're just not around very often!

There's a scene in which Sigurd says that he doesn't care about who is on the throne, but wants to see Bart made king just "because it belongs to him". Now hold up a moment! That's an awful reason, Sig! You guys are waging a war which will kill innocent people because you think Bart belongs on the throne, and you have definite reasons to do it such as "Shakhan is an autocratic warmonger", but the reason you give is just a horrible excuse for taking lives. I'm rather surprised at the game tacitly approving his comments, but then I remember Sigurd says something much worse along these lines later in the game. So at least he's consistent? Sigh, I like his character well enough past these bits...

Pan instead to Ramsus and Miang. Wow they are in bed together they may be engaged in a sexual relationship is this truly a video game acknowledging this? When I first played Xenogears I was very impressed that the game was acknowledging this. It's not lewd or tacky about it, it is just telling it how it is. I figured this was a notable stride for video games and I can't tell you how depressed I am that games haven't progressed much since 1998 as scenes like this are still rare as hell. Some of it is just Japanese shyness about the subject but there's still no excuse for the overall collective immense shyness the game industry has about the subject.

... anyway the scene takes on a much more sinister turn quickly. After Ramsus wakes up from a nightmare (about Id, of course; Ramsus be obsessed) and takes a bathroom break, Miang has a chat with - oh shit - Grahf. If you hadn't yet figured out that Miang was bad news from Sigurd's comments earlier, well, this kinda does it. Miang reveals that Fei looks a lot like Grahf (!), Grahf reveals that Miang plotted to be set up with Ramsus. It's clear both have some villainous agendas which don't exactly overlap (Grahf's concerning Fei, which we already knew), but they promise not to interfere with each other for now. The plot thickens.

Finally, there's a scene in which the five Gebler special forces from the secret base assault are assigned to Elly's command. They obviously aren't happy with a female commander - actually, they aren't happy with anyone as a commander. They're a pretty dickish group, especially the Drive-addicted Vance. I'm surprised that they never get their comeuppance and actually end up on your side later.

Hour 11: The mission is well underway now. On the battlefield, Fei and Elly chance to run into each other. With drugs fuelling their emotions, Elly's soldiers ignore her orders and attack Fei, who, as Fei always seems to do, kick their ass. Torn on what to do, Elly opts to stay true to her role as a Gebler officer and protect her underlings, however scummy, and takes some Drive herself to motivate her to fight Fei. There's a rather sweet scene in which Fei is able to talk Elly out of her tortured state, which yeah, is not the most likely thing in the world perhaps, but not wholly improbable either, especially given the drug's nebulous effects on one's emotions. He also begs her to leave the army, as he is clearly bothered by being her enemy. Elly's thoughts on this aren't dealt with at this time (which is fine, as for her, the decision is far more life-changing and she seems paralysed by them) but she out of respect for the kindness Fei has just shown her, she does let him pass.

Fei joins up with Maitreya, captain of Bart's gear forces, and his troops, and launch their attack on Vanderkaum's forces. (Maitreya, incidentally, is a total bit character, but I still kinda like him for reasons I can't wholly defend; they probably just sell me pretty well on the "father to his troops" and genial personality pretty well.) Vanderkaum proceeds to be maddeningly incompetent, ignoring all the (good) advice of his underlings and literally gets his forces routed by like six enemy gears. What the fuck, dude. It's played as comic relief and Vanderkaum has been previously established as awful at his job, but holy shit Gebler, if it was so obvious this guy sucked why was he still at this post? I'd probably have appreciated a nod towards his parents being super-important in Solaris or something like that. Vanderkaum finally fights you as a boss and spoiler alert the boss fight is terribad because Vanderkaum sucks.

Just when the player might be rightfully about to complain that things went way too well for the PCs, Grahf shows up, and grants Vanderkaum "the power". Anyone who's played this game more than once has these scenes etched into their memory, I'm sure. My fist is the divine breath, blossom oh fallen seed and draw upon thy hidden powers, grant unto thee the power of the glorious Mother of Destruction! All with Grahf's puppy-love music playing all the while. Gotta give the dude his due, he has style points. Vanderkaum uses his newfound power to murder Maitreya and the other soldiers. Seeing his new friends murdered puts Fei under a lot of stress while pilotting a gear. That never ends well. End scene.

Speaking of things not ending well, Bart's plan has been anticipated and is entirely unraveled by Shakhan and Miang as they set an ambush. Bart's interested in talking shit to Shakhan, but Miang makes it very clear she's the one in charge, even offering Bart the kingship if he swears loyalty to her because really she doesn't give a damn which pawn Gebler can control on the Aveh throne. She even has the audacity to say this right in front of Shakhan who is not happy but smart enough to realise he has very little leeway to stand on (one can easily imagine how long his reign would last without Gebler right now). Fortunately for him Bart gives her the finger. The party seems certainly doomed but Maison to the rescue what the fuck. Maison is memorably badass in a cheesy way here as he threatens Shakhan with a giant gatling gun long enough to rescue Bart, Citan, and Sigurd. Completely unbelievable but sure let's give the old dude his time in the sun.

In full retreat, Bart and company plot their next move... except of course, they have been anticipated. Ramsus thoroughly defeats them and is clearly about to end their miserable little rebellion... which of course is when Id shows up, proving that this day is not to go well for anyone (except Miang, who laughs gleefully at Id's appearance once Ramsus has is out of earshot). Ramsus goes ballistic, deploying to try to take down Id, who defeats him in mere seconds. Ramsus babbles like the Black Knight of Monty Python fame about how he's not giving up!!!... despite his gear having lost a leg and an arm. Dear, sweet Miang rescues him as Id is distracted one-shotting Bart in an unwinnable battle. Meanwhile, Sigurd comes up with a plan to drop the Yggdrasil on top of Id, crushing him. Id, then, utters his best line: "Dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!" and hurls the Yggdrasil back at Bart. The fate of the Bart and the Yggdrasil crew is left unclear (and while the genre savvy would assume they all lived, the game's text should certainly leave that open for doubt during the coming arc). Only Citan escapes, at Sigurd's urging. Alone in Heimdal, he heads north, discovering the smoldering wreckage of Vanderkaum's gear. There's really no doubt at this point that the one responsible is Fei, and indeed that Fei is Id, although this was one of those revelations I refused to believe at this point on the first playthrough. What type of game makes the main character an unkillable plot fight villain? That's just too crazy!

And so ends the first main arc of the game. It's definitely a bit of a downer ending. Lots of characters may be dead, the bad guys (Shakhan and Ramsus) won, and the badder guys (Miang and Grahf) won even more. Onto the Kislev arc, which I remember being one of the game's weakest, but... well, I'll see soon!

Maybe.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #315 on: February 13, 2014, 07:19:18 AM »
Project A11- Fin.  After burning up like all 90 days trying to complete Assignment 10 satisfactorily, I said to hell with it and just puttered around in dungeons to finish up the game.

Rorona is technically competent and all, but I can't say much else for it.  Lots of dead time in the game, pretty much boring to play, and once you get past the opening it just doesn't really have any charm.  Rorona's main element is all moe all the time without Pie, and there's a pretty huge gap between when you can muck about with pie.  It also feels needlessly unforgiving, although part of this is the limited nature of the battle system.  I mean, no mistake, Ayesha had similar jumps in enemy competence between dungeon areas, but not having such a stripped down battle system meant you have options besides "hope like hell you have good items in inventory" and "die".

So yeah.  Not bad per se, just lacks in good.  5/10.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #316 on: February 13, 2014, 07:42:25 AM »
What type of game makes the main character an unkillable plot fight villain? That's just too crazy!

A game made by madmen.  So, Xenogears.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: February 13, 2014, 10:26:57 AM »
13: ffff Basilisks
14: Ambushed by giant rats while cursed.
15: Entered the Basilisk room the wrong way. It is amazingly hard to tell where Curse will abruptly kill you and where it will not.
16: I was apparently not out of range out of Gaping Dragon tail swipe. Damn you cursed HP.
17: Part the second. That tail's range is deceptively long.

You know you can skip the entire basilisk area, right? Slide down from the giant rat's room, hugging the wall to the left, and you'll land right outside the door linking the upper and lower Depths. Makes the entire zone take like two minutes unless you're looting thoroughly (and the only thing braving basilisks gets you is a crappy ring).

Also props to NEB for narrating XG so I don't have to replay it myself (something I'd been considering since the OST topic reminded me of its fitfully laudable existence).

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: February 13, 2014, 01:40:54 PM »
My favourite part is noting how little gameplay there is in this and how much he seems to be enjoying it (and how much I still eye roll at this being touted as competition in writing quality to Torment.  "Dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!"  Really?  I will take me "What can change the nature of a man?" to the bank in comparison to that).

Citan for real main character hype goes here.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: February 13, 2014, 06:04:20 PM »
You know you can skip the entire basilisk area, right? Slide down from the giant rat's room, hugging the wall to the left, and you'll land right outside the door linking the upper and lower Depths. Makes the entire zone take like two minutes unless you're looting thoroughly (and the only thing braving basilisks gets you is a crappy ring).

I did, in theory, know that. I just honestly could not remember my way around the depths at the time so I decided to just confront my issues head on.

Don't Starve: Right, I've been playing this. Gothic survival game about not starving. I've done pretty well at that part. It is not getting killed by wildliefe that seems to be my issue. Longest survival yet is 24 days (ended when I tried attacking a Pengull). The game is kinda neat conceptually, but I can easily see getting bored midgame with it. No real objectives beyond survive and all that.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2014, 06:14:18 PM by AndrewRogue »

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #320 on: February 13, 2014, 08:21:20 PM »
Bravely Default:  This game really can't decide if it's supposed to be serious or humorous.  It does the serious pretty well for a jrpg, but then it's back to comedy 5 seconds later.

Starting to fight the Black Brigade.  Edea has been attack mage (Black Mage, Time Mage, Summoner), Tiz has been my super-defense cleric with no offense whatsoever (White Mage, Merchant, Red Mage).  Agnes has been physical tank (Monk, Knight, Valkyrie).  Ringabel did a bit of Freelancer and has been in Thief ever since.  I keep waiting for an ability to open locked chests to show up in Thief but it hasn't, I'm assuming it's back in Freelancer instead.

Norende weapons break the earlygame pretty hard.  Bastet Claws on a monk destroy everything in Chapter 1.  Angel Bow on a Thief beats most of Chapter 2 and Lu Bu's Spear on a Valkyrie finishes off the Chapter (Jump hitting bosses for 5000).  Chapter 3 is where the game catches up to you and you have to use more resources to win battles.  Black magic really shining now.

quick FAQing shows that blue chests are unlocked later in plot by something.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: February 13, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
Tales of Graces f: So Richard is starting to act suspiciously different in all the bad ways...nah, I'm sure it's just a phase and it clearly won't be a CRUCIAL POINT OF THE GAME IN ANYWAY!!!
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: February 13, 2014, 08:55:57 PM »
My favourite part is noting how little gameplay there is in this and how much he seems to be enjoying it (and how much I still eye roll at this being touted as competition in writing quality to Torment.  "Dropping a warship on me is cheating. Take it back!"  Really?  I will take me "What can change the nature of a man?" to the bank in comparison to that).

Citan for real main character hype goes here.

Planescape gets hype for writing, Xenogears for...plotting, I guess? Direction? Definitely not the actual lines, with the occasional exception for something like Grahf's speech.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: February 13, 2014, 09:41:41 PM »
See Shale, more or less. XG's translation is "good for the time" but certainly not great overall, so you're not going to get much hype for the nuance of individual written lines here; that's not where the strength of the game lies. The line about the warship is uh not serious writing, and should not be viewed as a "good line" through that lens (which I assume is what the Torment line is?) but it is memorably ridiculous and punctuates the scene nicely.

ps. If you actually want me to play Torment, saying "the story-heavy games you enjoy suck" is about the worst way you could possibly go about doing it.

Maybe.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: February 13, 2014, 09:59:52 PM »
Quote from: The Nameless One
Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
Updated my journal.
True confession to make Grefter rage: I played Torment and got bored with it and stopped.  Partially my fault for being a tad too sidequest completionist early on when it's the most boring, and I know the story is good later.  Kind of out of character for me since I'm pretty happy with story-heavy novelistic games usually!

That said I loved loved loved loved the fact that Torment let you say the same thing with (lie) and (truth) behind it, and adjusted your alignment accordingly, something that Bioware games bafflingly tended to leave out years and years later.  Now if only the Torment earlygame could involve things other than planting trees or whatever.