Register

Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183452 times)

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #125 on: January 19, 2014, 01:52:51 AM »
Soul Sacrifice: Picked this up today because PS+ had it on a p.big sale. Still getting the hang of it, early in the game and all. Not entirely certain what I think of it, to be honest. It's kinda fun, but also kinda clunky. Will probably require greater action game reflexes then I possess(outside of musou) but even if the late-game gets frustratingly hard I doubt I'll feel like it was a waste of 10 bucks so whatevs.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 19, 2014, 02:50:48 AM »
FFX- Halfway through the highroad or so. The AP system annoys the hell out of me (Let PC's you don't rotate into battle get EXP, thanks), but I'm finally just starting to get into fights. The beginning part of FFX is super light on combat and heavy on plot, but that is shifting now finally.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #127 on: January 19, 2014, 07:20:39 PM »
I was going to buy FFVI for my phone because I only get to carry so many portable electronic devices on myself at my age.  I'm glad the store has screenshots right on the page cause I totally would have bought it otherwise.    Barkley Shut Up and Jam Gaiden looks better than that, and it was made to look intentionally shitty as a joke.

e:  Also it has an unavoidable freeze in Thamasa when playing on several of the more popular Android phones, including my own, so dodged another bullet.  NeoGAF delivers this zinger:
"Final Fantasy 6 on Android is, technically speaking, the first version of the game where General Leo does not die."
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 12:03:08 AM by Anthony Edward Stark »

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 20, 2014, 12:56:38 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Following his victory at Helios One, Genocide clashed again with his true enemy, Crashing.  After a half-dozen times, he finally makes it through to victory.  The Bright Cult at REPCONN Test Sight get devoured, the Mojave Outpost falls to superior force, Primm's is cleared of all convicts, townspeople and troopers, NCR Correctional--somehow ignorant of Joe Cobb's death--become the next victims.  Unfortunately, their stance in live brutally changes Genocide's karma, reflecting it from the depths of extreme to nearly the positive opposite.  Even stealing all he could accomplished nothing.  The attack on Black Mountain and Sloan achieved no change either.  Enraged, Genocide charged into the Quarry Junction, ready to hurl himself into combat with Deadly Deathclaws, but none could stand before his blazing sword.  Back in the west, Genocide cleared out the criminals in Vault 34, ending the threat of the Powder Gangers forever.  The Khans, now eradicated to the last didn't even bother to show up again, leaving only one last target.  Heading north, then swinging back south, Genocide finishes off Ranger Station Foxtrot, ending the final NCR outpost in the Mojave, and very nearly one of the last settlements left period.  The last was Jacobstown, fresh with Pushy on his hand and Legendary Cazadore blood all over, Genocide waged a brutal assault on the last refuge of everything in the Mojave.  The Super Mutants attempted one last defense, but like all others they were nothing before Genocide's might.  Standing above it all, Genocide debates whether to clear out all animal life, or investigate odd signals coming from beyond the Mojave...

Extinct Communities
REPCONN Test Site now contains ghoul bones amongst its scavenge.
The Mojave Outpost is no longer the NCR's border post.
The only thing inevitable in life is death and taxes, and the first certainly applies to Primm.
The only thing corrected at NCR Correctional was that pesky living problem for the inmates.
Red Mountain sends no more signals.
Sloan is even less relevant with everyone dead.
Vault 34's current inhabitants are just as dead as those who left.
The only thing bleeding at the Thorn is the patrons.
Ranger Station Foxtrot Uniform Bravo Alpha Romeo.
Jacobstown is now safe from anti-mutant reprisals, because there are no mutants left.

Or in short, all of them.

Genocide has cleansed 2272 enemies from the Mojave. L39, OWB DLC, 32 Hours.
Heavy slew 1947 enemies in his long travels.  L50, all DLCs, 75 Hours.
AMR anti-materialed 1627 enemies in his life. L50, all DLCs, 45 Hours.
Pacifist Courier has never killed anyone, scouts honor! L42, OWB, LR DLCs 35 Hours.
Return of Courier returned 1806 enemies to non-existance. L47, all DLCs, 66 Hours.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 01:50:13 AM by Fudozukushi »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 20, 2014, 01:02:15 AM »
KH 3DS - Still an incoherent mess. The Drop mechanic is a goddamn pain in the ass, it continuously breaks the momentum of the game and makes keeping track of whatever the hell you're doing annoying as fuck. Whoever approved its implementation should be shot in the back with a BB gun until the end of time.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 20, 2014, 02:50:06 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Following his victory at Helios One, Genocide clashed again with his true enemy, Crashing.  After a half-dozen times, he finally makes it through to victory.  The Bright Cult at REPCONN Test Sight get devoured, the Mojave Outpost falls to superior force, Primm's is cleared of all convicts, townspeople and troopers, NCR Correctional--somehow ignorant of Joe Cobb's death--become the next victims.  Unfortunately, their stance in live brutally changes Genocide's karma, reflecting it from the depths of extreme to nearly the positive opposite.  Even stealing all he could accomplished nothing.  The attack on Black Mountain and Sloan achieved no change either.  Enraged, Genocide charged into the Quarry Junction, ready to hurl himself into combat with Deadly Deathclaws, but none could stand before his blazing sword.  Back in the west, Genocide cleared out the criminals in Vault 34, ending the threat of the Powder Gangers forever.  The Khans, now eradicated to the last didn't even bother to show up again, leaving only one last target.  Heading north, then swinging back south, Genocide finishes off Ranger Station Foxtrot, ending the final NCR outpost in the Mojave, and very nearly one of the last settlements left period.  The last was Jacobstown, fresh with Pushy on his hand and Legendary Cazadore blood all over, Genocide waged a brutal assault on the last refuge of everything in the Mojave.  The Super Mutants attempted one last defense, but like all others they were nothing before Genocide's might.  Standing above it all, Genocide debates whether to clear out all animal life, or investigate odd signals coming from beyond the Mojave...

Extinct Communities
REPCONN Test Site now contains ghoul bones amongst its scavenge.
The Mojave Outpost is no longer the NCR's border post.
The only thing inevitable in life is death and taxes, and the first certainly applies to Primm.
The only thing corrected at NCR Correctional was that pesky living problem for the inmates.
Red Mountain sends no more signals.
Sloan is even less relevant with everyone dead.
Vault 34's current inhabitants are just as dead as those who left.
The only thing bleeding at the Thorn is the patrons.
Ranger Station Foxtrot Uniform Bravo Alpha Romeo.
Jacobstown is now safe from anti-mutant reprisals, because there are no mutants left.

Or in short, all of them.

Genocide has cleansed 2272 enemies from the Mojave. L39, OWB DLC, 32 Hours.
Heavy slew 1947 enemies in his long travels.  L50, all DLCs, 75 Hours.
AMR anti-materialed 1627 enemies in his life. L50, all DLCs, 45 Hours.
Pacifist Courier has never killed anyone, scouts honor! L42, OWB, LR DLCs 35 Hours.
Return of Courier returned 1806 enemies to non-existance. L47, all DLCs, 66 Hours.

Remember, there are still people to kill.  After all, you can't kill General Kimball or Lanius before the final mission!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 20, 2014, 03:19:03 AM »
Oh, they'll get theirs soon enough, mwhahahahaha.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 20, 2014, 04:03:37 AM »
Fudo how in the hell did you get corpses up on the light fixtures.

I'm really curious what your ending's going to look like on this run. >.> I mean, does even the independent Vegas route function with Yes Man dead?

Also oh fuck it.

FONV: Azula has landed in the Mojave. All shall be reduced to minion status or to red paste!

The road to conquest starts in Goodsprings, where we encounter an enterprising young man with dreams of modest temporal power and encourage his gang for our own personal benefit. During the course of the ensuing battle for the town we personally kill Easy Pete, Trudy, Doc Mitchell, Sunny Smiles, and finally Cheyenne. In short, everyone of consequence (read: named) in town. Despite apparently contributing nothing to the fight, two of our allies die. These "Powder Gangers" are worthless even as fodder! But their ringleader tells us he has a boss he wants to impress somewhere and directs us to the nearby prison to meet him. Perhaps this time we'll find a man of better caliber?

Alas, no. The first thing he asks us to do is beat some of his own flunkies into compliance. You shouldn't expect anything from a man that can't keep his house in order, so when the local authorities move in on the prison, we quietly slip away south. Maybe the forces of law and order will have something to offer us instead? However, though we find many and more of them along the road, almost to a man each officer begs us to complete some task that they are too weak to see through themselves. Disappointment abounds! Why is it so difficult to find reliable friends underlings these days?

So we follow the plume of smoke in search of anyone with real vision. Amidst a barbecue with all the crucifixin's we find a nice man with a dog on his head that shares with us his vision of a world set ablaze. We are interested in his views and wish to subscribe to his newsletter.

Though promising, we have reason to doubt the worthiness of his friends. As a test of their skill and readiness, we infiltrate one of their minor camps and untie a couple prisoners. The prisoners flee in broad daylight, and their captors do not pursue evidently just because they did not see us untie the prisoners. One wonders who the guards thought was responsible for releasing them? Clearly they earned freedom by untying their own bonds.

Also, we hear that Dog-Hat's friends are very keen on repressing women. Well, if any of them tries repressing us, we'll just repress them back with interest.

We stop in Novac to convert a useful if somewhat emo sniper to our cause, and here the fatigue of the journey must be telling because we do not in fact give him the name of some totally random civilian to murder by way of purchasing his loyalty. [Look this whole evil thing's a little awkward for me okay, anyway since I pickpocketed Jeannie May on a whim and wound up with her key I figured I might as well use it.] We make up for this lapse by promptly directing the spacecraft of a gang of trusting evangelicals on an express trip to the ground.

~

Mechanical stuffs:

-I was planning on taking the Skilled trait anyway, and eagerly abused the opportunity to use it twice once I heard of that. That + high INT + Educated = I'm probably maxing all skills this time. Not that it matters because I have zero intention of ever using guns or energy weapons, but I have to have the skill points, all the skill points. That said, Science/Lockpicking have been ignored so far and it's really weird having to actually use the many workarounds the game gives you instead of just hacking through every obstacle.

-S.P.E.C.I.A.L.: 8/1/8/6/8/8/1. Add 1 to everything but PER post-implants. I thought I'd be able to nab every implant this time, but apparently the game checks only your starting END to determine the limit, not your boosted END. Not like I care about PER at all on this run, but it still annoys me missing only one of them. I was also curious what effect extremes of LUC would have on the game but haven't noticed much of anything.

-Implants are of course where pretty much all my money has gone. Now that I have all the ones I can take (outside of OWB), there is basically nothing to ever spend money on again and I'm maybe a third through the game. Not even on weapons! I mean, there is a super-expensive fist weapon at the Gun Runners, but it looks worse than Gehenna and I've already got that.

-Speaking of Gehenna is sooo good (perhaps the same could be said of ALL religious weapons!) Melee is actually pretty stellar if you can just avoid getting shot to pieces before you close range! Prioritized Sneak for this purpose, Love and Hate main weapon for a large portion of the game so far and I could reliably one-shot pretty much anybody from stealth. You punch people in the chest and their heads fall off, it's pretty great. Also, fun fact: if someone can't see you, they also can't hear or feel you cutting them in half with a chainsaw. Look this is 2014, there's no Listen/Spot anymore, it's all just Perception.

-Animal Friend is hilarious when it kicks in (nightstalker posses, tribes of happy little R.U.S.s romping around Vault 11!) but in practice that isn't very often. So many areas just don't contain animals. Also for some reason fire geckos still hate you, and since it's not Insect Friend the most terrifying enemies in the game remain the physical manifestation of eternal hatred for all that lives and breathes. I guess there are worse things to spend a couple perks on than novelty value, though.

-Hardcore mode mostly just a minor nuisance. The limb damage not healing normally thing bugged the shit out of me early on (especially since I'd killed Doc Mitchell and had no way to get fully healed until hitting Novac) but now people tend to not see me until it's too late so whatevs. And the ammo weight thing doesn't even matter since pure melee. I honestly just sell whatever ammo I happen to accidentally pick up (except for grenades and missiles, stockpiling for the possibility of nuking people lategame. Damn missiles are heavy though).

-Of course, I still savescum to keep allies alive, just like I did in Fallout 2. Look I need a packmule around okay? Hm? What for since I basically don't need money ever again? Don't ask stupid questions.

-Wait companions can get poisoned? Did not know that. Takes its sweet time going away, too.

-Level 22 and Dead Wind Cavern/Quarry Junction still terrify. I've chopped up a couple stray deathclaws, but a whole pack's something else altogether. Definitely getting Slayer and probably Purifier before even making the attempt.

-Actually talking to the Legion officers for once only makes me want to punch their heads off even more. That said, I wonder if I can reach Idolized with both NCR and Legion simultaneously? I'm betting I can!

-We Will All Go Together went off without a hitch for the first time ever. Camp Searchlight still had its revenge by shifting my karma positive through all those ghoul kills (in fairness, Vault 3 probably contributed too). In spite of razing Goodsprings, Come Crash With Me, talking the Khans down in Boulder City and then instructing the NCR troops to massacre them, I'm still classified a bloody saint by the game. Karma's so messed up.

-Man there is like nothing different clearing Vault 19 in Cooke's favor. Lem just locks his room instead of him, then they all wind up with the Khans anyway. Which is fine since this time I have no intention of talking the Khans out of their eventual enslavement. Enjoy your deathtrap, girls!

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 20, 2014, 04:39:30 AM »
Getting the corpses on the light's was a giant pain in the ass.  Eventually I had to get lucky with enough of the body pressed flat against the ceiling so I could slide it over.  Though honestly getting the corpses in the Hidden Valley desks was harder.  At one point one of the bodies was literally orbiting the desk by itself without me doing anything.

You can kill Yes Man's securitrons but he'll always pop back up.  Once he's in the system he can't die even more.

-Guns skill is actually required for two perks that can increase certain melee weapon damage.

-The SPECIAL point from completeing Loansome Road should always go into Endurance.  Waaaaayyyy back when I actually smacked myself for not realizing that.  If you wanna see Luck's power go gambling.

-Two-Step Goodbye has okay damage, a whooping 4! crit damage, swings slow as hell makes its DPS pretty bad.  Now, despite that lovely 4 crit damage, it has a 4x crit modifier, so you can crit on every hit if you stack high enough.  And that's where it's real power comes in, anything crit-killed by Two-Step Goodbye will explode after like three seconds.  You can even do this on Sneak Crit Kills and no one will ever notice even when a corpse explodes right in their face.

-Gehenna has like, the highest melee DPS in the game or something.  Melee sneak is at its best when you kill a dude next to another dude and you're only hidden because of the dude you just killed.  WHO COULD HAVE KILLED HIM DO YOU HAVE ANY IDEA GUY WITH A KNIFE?  NO?  WELL I'LL JUST STAY HERE, FEEL FREE TO STAND BEHIND ME I TRUST YOU.

-Not working on Fire Geckos is a shame because apparently they hit like trucks when they're not wasting time spitting fire.

-The true value of Packrat shines on Hardcore!

-Hey, if the comps are carrying stuff for money, then they can be used as money sinks!  Or something.

-At one point if you stimpaked a poisoned comp they'd drop dead.

-I forgot Purifier was a thing.  Slayer is amazing though.  Attack so fast and confuse the game for a fighter.

-Totally possible.  In so many hilarious ways.

-Genocide's killing spree through NCR correctional bumped him from Very Evil to Good.  Karma sooooo bad.

-Wait that was Vault 19?  Well, whatever, they all died in the end anyway.

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 20, 2014, 06:39:49 AM »
All this talk about FONV has made me want to do another Caesar's Legion run. I haven't tried that since the newest version of the Caesar's New Regime mod came out (a mod which I highly recommend, even if you don't play Legion, because it also makes them much more dangerous foes!).

My courier's name?  Times New Roman.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: January 20, 2014, 07:52:42 AM »
Not Comic Sans? 0/10

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 20, 2014, 12:03:41 PM »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 20, 2014, 02:51:45 PM »
Ooh, Grefter has the Pimp-Boy 3 Billion. I should try and snag that this time, never knew it existed before this run. How do you take in-game screenshots anyway? I seriously wanted to when the Khans suddenly learned to air-walk. And when the giant radscorp corpse started breakdancing (although I guess the strangeness of that one wouldn't carry into still images).

I also never, ever take off the First Recon hat.

-The SPECIAL point from completeing Loansome Road should always go into Endurance.  Waaaaayyyy back when I actually smacked myself for not realizing that.  If you wanna see Luck's power go gambling.

Yeahhh I was planning on actually getting all the achievements this time but the gambling ones probably wouldn't be feasible because of that. Have to load up an old file I guess.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 03:08:42 PM by El Cideon »

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 20, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
The Legend of Dragoon JP- Finally hit Kadessa. Bosses, etc have continued to remain interesting with Lenus,  Magician Bogeys (Albert/Dart/Kongol -_-), Kamuy, etc all causing game overs.  Also first time I won against Lenus/Regole it ended with Meru finishing off Regole solo because the fight kept owning Dart and Albert so hard with the magic, Dart's weakness and Albert's low magic defence. Kamuy ... I used Kongol without a speed booster. Yeah -_- I wanted to see how much damage he would do with his Golden Dragoon Special physical attack so I had an Attack Badge on.
I am appreciating the worth/value of Rose Storm so much more on this version. Also Rainbow Breath. Except with the up in difficulty Meru is having to use more turns on healing rather than just Freezing Ring spam, which is different from what I'm used to, to say the least. I got Rainbow Breath before the end of disc two, and Diamond Dust in the forest at the start of disc three which is normal for me anyway  though I did gain Diamond Dust slightly quicker than usual because I equipped the War God's Sash at the start of disc three, so she actually got it before the Kamuy fight as opposed to after. So Meru is DLV3 now. However there is a definite gap in the rate at which she gained her first two dragoon level ups and her third/DLV4 since I'm in Kadessa, having collected all the treasures and saved at the save point and she still doesn't have her DLV4. That is also normal for me though. I usually have to train a bit to get her final dragoon levels while in Kadessa, taking advantage of the free heal pad/save combo. I don't know whether to go ahead now and take on Grand Jewel now in the hope that with the combo of War God's Sash and higher enemy HP she might get DLV4 after it this time without the extra training for DLV4/5 or just do stop and do it now. I want to have DLV5 for the Super Virage at least. Kadessa is the first real place in the game where I can really advocate stopping for a while to train additions, etc up because of the accessibility of the heal pad/save point combo, and the fact that the enemies might drop interesting things like Dancer's Ring. Well there is other places like this but this is my favorite and where I like to stop for a time and do that~ I also desperately need some training time to practice Dart's Madness Hero and Albert's Gust of Wind Dance because I am completely failing at them ;P

Items/equipment continues to be a thing.  Still have to routinely stock up on items and having no monies, and needing equipment, and actually actively seeking out special monsters this time like the Treasure Jars and the Red Birds for monies and stuff to sell for monies, which like the Red Bird still drops less money than on the English version anyway, but it still helps (at least Treasure Jar Ruby Ring sells for 500 gold~), but at least they also drop nifty things like rings, and Phoenix Plumes for Dart/Albert, which I would never be able to afford otherwise~

Team is currently Albert/Dart/Meru. I'm not sure using Albert is the best idea since I am being so bad at Gust of Wind Dance but it has been a while since I had a main team with him in, and I didn't want to use Haschel or Miranda again. Meru has her weapon from the Wingly Shop, Jewelled Crown (+20 SP when physically attacked), Dancer's Shoes and War God's Sash (50% extra SP from additions), with the alternative options of Magical Ring (MAG+30), Amulet (Double MP), and Therapy Ring (HP regen) as accessories, and has her first two additions maxxed, Dart has the Mind Crush from Kadessa, best available armour (non Armour of Legend that is), Phoenix Plume, (prevents Fear, Bewitchment, Confusion, and Dispiriting), Bandit's Ring, and all his additions so far except Madness Hero maxxed and I have like one successful use of that >_>, Albert is more or less the same <_<, and I have the weapon from Deningrad for him~

Sometimes I also opt to use the stat up accessories like Attack or Defence on badges. There is also the Spirit Ring (+20 SP a turn) in general  but that's not as useful now that the War God's Sash is around.  I hope I get a Dancer's Ring~
« Last Edit: January 20, 2014, 05:19:49 PM by Clear Tranquil »
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 20, 2014, 06:56:45 PM »
Ooh, Grefter has the Pimp-Boy 3 Billion. I should try and snag that this time, never knew it existed before this run. How do you take in-game screenshots anyway? I seriously wanted to when the Khans suddenly learned to air-walk. And when the giant radscorp corpse started breakdancing (although I guess the strangeness of that one wouldn't carry into still images).

F12 takes screenshots as a function of the Steam UI overlay.

Sierra

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 21, 2014, 12:05:57 AM »
FONV: Cass is dead. Jesus Jean-Baptiste you shot her right in the junction box. Was that entirely necessary?

Hm, what's that? I should watch my back? Ghost sniper Cassidy, you say? He's just a myth!

Killed Benny in the arena. He was such a good sport about losing that it seemed only fair. I actually felt bad telling him I blew up the securitron army!

Talking to Caesar and understanding his reasoning behind the Legion actually only makes him more unpleasant. Good show, guys.

EDIT: Mister Cuddles is also dead. I am still a saint.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 12:09:12 AM by El Cideon »

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 21, 2014, 12:20:59 AM »
Wonderful 101:  When reading this review, it is imperative that you understand this is playing at all times!

So I finished the game.  The ending manages to out over the top Bayonetta, though not Asura's Wrath...I don't think anything will out-over the top THAT. 

Game is a rare breed, in that it's a New Nintendo IP that is not really comparable to any other single game.  ((Bayonetta + Okami) * Pikmin^Sentai + V. Joe)/Battletoads = Wonderful 101.  Yes, I've checked my math, I'm certain this is indeed the equation.  It's Colorful, it's unique, and the game is just a blast from start to finish.  This is the kind of game that deserved a lot more attention this year, but alas, it'll be a cult classic at best.

Anyway, first off, some flaws.  Notably, while I don't mind the constant shifting of styles, a few of the gimmick gameplay segments were just dumb.  You often get a new health gauge independent of what you have, and it's lower than what you're use to, and you tend to not be use to controls until about half way, when you've already lost 2/3rds of your health.  In some cases, you don't have a health gauge, so it's "one shot or you're screwed" which given how this game avoids Instant Death in most QTEs, really is a kick in the balls.  The worst part is this game, like most of Kamiya's stuff, has a rating system, so screwing up one of these segments can kill your ranking.  The "dodge the forcefields by going through the holes" thing was probably the worst, and you can't cheese them out with items like you can other segments.

Speaking of items, an interesting design decision W101 has is like DMC, Bayonetta, etc., using items hurts your ranking...except not all items do.  Notably, the healing items can be used without any penalty, which actually makes sense after I thought about it.  "Damage" is one of your criteria for ratings, so using a healing item implies your Damage Rating is tanking, so you'd have been doubly penalized for using healing items in a sense, as both your damage rating and a "used item" penalty kick in.  I tried avoid using items when I could, but there were times I did anyway.  Game is also forgiving on game overs; when you die, after choosing continue, you respawn exactly where you left off.  Again, rating system exists, and the game has a harsh "You died" penalty to your score, so it's not a case of "Death has no consequences."

If you've played Bayonetta, DMC, V. Joe, etc., you know how ratings work, I'm sure, and how you get currency to buy items, what have you.  Really, it follows Kamiya's general standards for his kinds of games in that regard, only with a game that only vaguely resembles that style instead of clearly being part of it.  Again, W101 is kind of in a genre of it's own; I guess it falls under "Action Game" but it can't be directly compared to anything.

But who cares about gameplay?  Really, what needs to be talked about is...

PLOT AND WRITING AND CHARACTERS!!!!

The plot is an incredibly deep and complex story.  So the Guild of Evil Alens Terrorizing Humans with Jiggawatt bombs, Energy Beams, Ray guns, and Killers lasers attacks Blossom City, trying to destroy 5 reactors to get rid of Margarita, the global planetary defense system stopping their armada from invading.  Centinel leader Laurence Nelson, with the aide of Alice Macgregor, on the Virgin Victory sends out it's elite force, the Wonderful 100, led by Wonder Red, to stop said aliens!  What follows is an epic tale of...well...everything really, so let's get into the characters themselves!

I was going to label him myself, but it seems the pic I found did it for him!
As with all Sentai teams, Red is the leader, and his special move is the Unite Hand, where in he punches something...very hard.  He can also open those pesky large pickle jars that you need a good grip to get.  So if you're having guests over and need jars opened, he's the super hero for you!  Red's character is overly heroic, and he can memorize all the details of a character, and he WILL repeat it anytime you confront him.  Yes, that is a legitimate running gag, and he gets called out on it, and it is amazing.  He's also got a knack for making up attack names even when there's no reason for it.  I won't spoil what it is or the nature of it, but he does come up with the single most EPIC ATTACK NAME EVER!!!  Naturally, tragic backstory because ALL HEROES NEED A TRAGIC BACKSTORY TO INSPIRE THEM!

Unite Hand, in combat, is your go to raw power attack.  Use it to dish out large damage to big enemies fast.  Of course has the problem of being close range only, but everything needs a flaw.

The Dude Bro Swordsmen of the team!  Of course, he's the team lancer, so he exists to argue with Red, and get into fights with Green.  Also he has a Valiantium Blade.  Do you have a Valiantium Blade?  No? WELL GO GET ONE NOW!  Then you can slice aliens and they will feel the sting of your blade!  Not for long though...they'll be dead...from the blade...

Unite Sword is your crowd control attack.  It can also pick locks no matter how large.  Yes, Wonder Blue is an LAPD Agent who is the team's Rogue character that fights like a Samurai.  Oh, and he has a rose!  Actually, that's another aspect of him; he's clearly a parody of Dante, at least a first, being "If Dante were not as cool as he thinks he is."  He also has a tragic backstory because, you know, foil to Wonder Red, he needs every parallel possible.  Also his primary rival is female because...well, dude bro, what'd you expect?

Yes his image is bigger, but to be fair, he probably has more body mass than Red and Blue and thus it is necessary!  ...I am sorry, that was a horrible fat joke and I should be smacked for that.  Anyway, the big, fat, french kid with a gun.  I swear they tried to shove every french stereotype they can have in one character, realized that some of them conflict with one another, said screw it, and just went with it, and that's what we got.  He wields a gun named after the female lead from Phantom of the Opera, because really, don't all kids have something like that these days?  ...ok, with school violence, that may have been a tasteless joke, but hat's more important is Unite Gun SHOOTS OTHER MEMBERS OF THE TEAM AT THE OPPONENT.  In a higher level, IT IS A SUPER SCOPE 6!  No, I am not kidding, that's actually what it turns into.

Green is the 3rd most prominent character after Red and Blue of the team, and he never misses a chance to mock Blue, especially when Blue fails with women.  This leads to Blue responding with a "shut up" one liner that usually involves something related to french ("Stick a tube in it, Foie Gras!")  This happens so often, the game gave them their own "Blue tackles Green" portrait. 

Unite Gun mostly exists to hit things that are legitimately out of reach, either because they fly or because they are far away.  As such, it's either a crappy option or your own option to hurt something with!  It also can suck up objects, like conveniently big spherical bombs, and shoot them at the opponent.

You know, I could go into detail about her character, but...I think her intro sums her characterization up, the nature of her character, Kamiya's sick mind, among other things far better than I could.   It also gives a little bit of insight to Wonder Red's CHARACTER ANNOUNCEMENTS, a transformation sequence with the character, and Wonder Green's exaggerated accent.  Pink also is a fangirl of Vorrkhen (will explain later), hates Wonder Green, and if it's not obvious, is what happens when you splice a Valley Girl, an Anime Girl, and a Vampire.  Somehow, she is STILL the emotional one on the team, being the only person who actually shows any sort of care about Luka, the annoying little kid I'll address later.  No, I don't know how they pulled it off either...only someone as messed up in the head as Kamiya could make this character.

Unite Whip is one of the best attacks in the game, to my surprise.  It's a lot stronger than you'd think, making it a good substitute for for Unite Hand that is a little more flexible due to range, and is the only way to deal with Spiky Foes...which is annoying because the whip only grapples when it wants too, unless there is a way to insure it which I never quite figured out.   Oh yeah, also a parody of Bayonetta at times, if it wasn't obvious in her intro.

A Russian dude who doesn't understand the concept of catch phrases, with practically no self esteem whatsoever, and he carries a big hammer.  Unfortunately, he is underutilized, which is ashame as when he does say something he's amusing.  Unite Hammer mostly exists for guard crushes, and if used in right areas, can bring up hidden spots.

Yes, they gave the BIG BURLY RUSSIAN GUY a the Pikohan, not the Tsundere.  PROGRESSIVE? MAYBE!

The Proverb speaking Ninja with Ice Powers who climbs walls and doesn't know how to shut up...except they forgot to give him much dialog because half the hero dialog is Blue, Green and Pink arguing over something completely meaningless.  It's ashame, a Ninja who doesn't know how to stop talking has a lot of potential, but I guess they ran out of time in development or something.  Whatever, there's always a POTENTIAL SEQUEL in the works, maybe he'll get more then!

Unite Claw gets combos...lots and lots of combos...you will get a Platinum Ranking on your combo rating just by using Unite Claw.  It also can freeze enemies if powered up enough, is used to climb walls, and apparently has a projectile feature that I never found useful.  Yes, this game has climbing segments ala God of War, but they are more fun because you climb faster, there are less of them, and combat is more than "press one attack and throw guy off."  Ok, it is still one button, but who cares? YOU'RE PLAYING AS AN ICE NINJA INSTEAD OF A MEGA DOUCHE.  Automatically superior!

If Niu were a super hero, he'd be Wonder Black.  The world could be blowing up around him via giant robot, and he'd STILL be on his 3DS trying to finish his game.  No, really, this happens.  Black barely speaks at all; even when he speaks, he mostly mumbles his dialog such that only Green can understand him because...uhh...kids?  Apparently they had a bet regarding Wonder Pink in terms of who blows up most aliens, Green claims to have won but I call bollocks because I totally used Unite Bomb more often once Black joined!

Unite Bomb is not what it sounds like...I mean, yeah, it's a bomb, but it's not about crowd control explosions.  It's about crowd control "Slow time down of everything hit by it."  You will only get one powered up version which extends duration and radius before you downgrade to a basic version, but a way to beat a number of tougher enemies is to just spam Bomb on the guy, and use the Team Attack button, possibly doing a multi-unite with another character to add more damage.  Bomb lock downs work incredibly well, really.

That's it for the MAIN TEAM, but onto OTHER CHARACTERS!!!

This guy's name is P-star.

The convenient "has answer to everything because Robot Computer" helper, he is like Alpha-5 except follows you everywhere, and isn't annoying.  Apparently he has lasers too but he never uses them outside of one segment because...uhh...reasons.  Really, not much to say about P-star, he's exactly what he looks like!

Unfortunately, I cannot find his INTRO ID CARD, so I'll have to just tell you this is Laurence Nelson, the token Zordon character of the team!  He's the boss, he tells you what to do, your team does it, and he's got an awesome mustache and is never not drinking coffee.  He also was Wonder Red over 10 years prior, and had Unite Drill with one of the most rocking hair styles ever.  You seriously have to see this thing!

For those who read the spoiler, watch this video to see what I mean regarding the hair!

Alice Macgregor, a character who only exists for Technological Exposition.  "There is large amounts of Jerk matter in the atmosphere."  That kind of stuff.  It doesn't matter how horrible the situation is, how dire the problem is, she will always say these kinds of things, with absolutely no emotion whatsoever, unironically.  Talk about being dedicated to your job!

Her name is Immorta.  If you can't tell that she's a Pink Alien Chick with a Heart Motif thing going on...well, she is, so shut up.  She's the token "Good guy who at first doesn't like the team but forges an alliance because why not work for common cause, thus becomes honorary member of team" character.  At first, I thought this was just a plot thing, but next thing I know, you get Unite Bow, an attack you can use select chapters wehre she joins, so yay!  I didn't really find a use for it, often forgetting it exists, but hey, at least they put it in.  Also, she's the last of the space cops apparently...I don't know how that works, but just go with it.

Immorta's character is basically her going after Prince Vorrkhen, because he's the bad guy, and having the questionable relationship with Red that both of course blush over.   But enough about the good guys, I think we should talk about the bad guys, and since I keep bringing him up...

Heir to the throne of the comet Rhullo, leader of the Space Pirates known across the galaxy as the Guyzoch, Prince Vorrkhen!  He is the Shonen Rival of Wonder Red, has his own team of 100 alien soldiers that can unite Morph, has a cliched evil European accent, and is basically Ciato's method of super villainy.  As in, he checks guide books for details, calls his rival "Blunder-Red" not because it is insulting, because he misheard it and believes that is truly his name, and when asked to explain himself, he will tell you his ENTIRE LIFE STORY, even polite enough to warn you it will take 15 to 30 minutes and will only tell you it if you are ok with that.

His fights are amusing because he uses Unify Morphs on you, and the key is figuring out how to dodge them and best count (I still don't know how to avoid Unify Gun or Unify Boomerang; thankfully the former is rare and the latter is not TOO damaging), and of course he gets his own battle theme because SHONEN RIVAL EPIC!!!He also joins later in the game with Unify Boomerang, which is COMPLETELY BROKEN, which makes up for the Unify Boomerang being so stupidly annoying when you fight it.  You can also use Unify Naginata, which is Chewgi's attack, and that's pretty damn awesome too, though Chewgi isn't a big enough character to bother singling out here.  Don't think he even gets a proper intro!

Jergingha, the villain.  He is super if super were a 100 foot tall Alien Robot thing from 1000 years in the future.  That is all.

Annoying little kid who you want to punch in the face, won't leave you alone, and insists on being a little bitch.  Blue's response to him is basically what I'm sure most players are like when they see him.  Alas, he's an important character who won't leave and needs punching.

So...yeah, kind of have to wrap this up fast but all the important stuff are covered.  Game is quite fun with some hiccups, music is good, characters are great, and anyone who actually gets a Wii U should give it a shot.

And thus...

Unite....RANT!!!!...end....
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Captain K.

• Do you even...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ...lift books bro?
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 21, 2014, 12:35:11 AM »
Bravely Default demo:  Finished, got all the play bonuses.  Game feels more like FF3 than FF5 as it is hyped.  Hard to tell what the actual game will be like because the demo specifically tells you 20 times that the stuff in the demo is totally different than the actual game.  Which kind of defeats the purpose of a demo.  At any rate I'm interested in the actual game so will pick it up.

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #143 on: January 21, 2014, 03:58:26 AM »
RSMS- Having problem.

Current ER is 16.  Hawke/Guella Ha/Diana/Sif/Claudia.  Average HP is around 400 (with Claudia well behind due to being a recent pickup).  Around 50 defense, class levels of 3 generally.  170 G, 243 jewels in the bank.  No real inventory.

I've been poking at silver's cave and can't beat the boss- breath attacks are OHKO, can't mount serious offense.  Tried pirate invasion, not killing Butcher's pet fast enough to outrun the RNG.  Clearly underpowered.  How the blue fuck can I fix this.

Quests Complete: Valhalland Monsters, Plain Treasure, Free the Gecklings, Eule Gives a Hoot, Test of Courage, Monsters of Mt. Tomae, Stolen Nymphs, Oh, Mummy!, A bodyguard for Louie.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 05:39:03 AM by Cmdr_King »
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 21, 2014, 05:09:24 PM »
Ys Memories of Calcetta: picked this up as a shiny thing to distract myself from recent events. Really fun so far, but I haven't played an Ys game since that one on Steam, Oath of Felghenna or something like that. This plays so very different the two can't even be compared.
<%Laggy> no not really.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 21, 2014, 05:11:39 PM »
What difficulty did you start on?  I'm about 3-4 bosses in and Hard is seriously disappointing me, so if you're not too far in, might be worth playing on Hard rather than Normal.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 21, 2014, 06:46:49 PM »
On Normal, but I'm not exactly playing for the challenge. Just playing to have a fun mashy action game to distract myself with, and it's working well enough for that.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 21, 2014, 08:18:32 PM »
Mirror's Edge: So many dead Faiths in five hours, it's fun though. First person platforming actually working, what a thought
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 22, 2014, 04:41:15 AM »
Mirror's Edge: So many dead Faiths in five hours, it's fun though. First person platforming actually working, what a thought

Look, if you had any problem with the controls in Turok on N64 it was only because the fog kept you from seeing any ground you might be standing on.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 22, 2014, 05:43:52 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Genocide's tales across the Loansome Road continue.  Many tears are shed along the way.  Some by virtue of being straight one-shotted by Deathclaws, some by randomly beng knocked down by Rawr for no reason whatsoever, others still come from the hilarity of playing Deathclaw baseball with some MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS.  Carving through the path eventually opened the deadly Courier's Mile to challenge, but in the wake of MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS challenge was irrelevant, and Genocide cleared the Mile without taking a single hit. But fighting through enemy after enemy after enemy at the behest of a madmen didn't sit well with Genocide.  Forsaking words, he used all his powers to cut apart his enemy, turning the other Courier's head into meatloaf before he could even fire a single bullet.  His plan ended there, but Genocide's reached a new level, unlocking great hidden potentials, and plenty more enemies to murder.  The Long 15 and its occupants, both inside and at the Mojave Outpost were slain.  Dry Wells, died as well.  Nothing could match the Courier's Blades, not even the strongest of the Legendary beasts, the Bloatfly.  Like all before, it too fell apart.

Hiking north for new challenge, Genocide reached the Happy Trails Caravan Company Expidition.  Finding they were somehow immune to his attacks, Genocide followed them, watching, waiting for a time to strike.  His arrival in Zion proved the chance, and they all died at his hands before those of the White Legs.  After a brief near encounter with death in the form of two Anti-Material Rifle White Legs, Genocide meets a slow-witted Tribal.  Recognizing when to hold back to ensure more slaughter, Genocide let the fool guide him to his masters.  A few menial tasks later, and Genocide was in position to exterminate them all.  First came the head of that whiny git Daniel, then, Genocide finished what the world could not and ended Graham's life, Waking Cloud slept eternal next, and White Bird joined his tribe in the grave.  Moving to exterminate the Dead Horses, and Follows-Chalk was somehow still around!  He wouldn't be for long.  Zion, cleared of all evils, was abandoned by Genocide.  The Sierra Madre called... tomorrow...

Extinct Communities
The Divide is just a bit more of a Loansome Road
The Long 15 reaches into the grave.
Dry Wells is dry from all the flayed corpses.
The only Hearts in Zion are those Genocide ripped out.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 10:18:00 PM by Fudozukushi »