Author Topic: What games are you playing 2014?  (Read 183460 times)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
Re: What games are you playing 2014?
« Reply #100 on: January 12, 2014, 12:35:11 PM »
Just remember that you can find a missing teddy for a little girl Boomer town.  You can tear it apart in front of her.

FO:NV - Finished Honest Hearts.  Did a save before the final mission to get both achievements since there is a distinct chance I won't ever do this again.  Moved on to Old World Blues.  This is pretty great and a crazy shift in quality upwards.  The game not crashing every half hour helps, but just the writing is so good and recommended level 15?  Next time I play I might do it low level when I am near Nipton it is so good.  Crazy thing noted you can use the Autodoc to take away Skilled trait and keep 5 to all skills, so I swapped to Small Frame.  I can deal with more limb damage.  If I was lower level I would just take the same trait again and get a sweet +5 to all skills for no damned cost.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: January 12, 2014, 03:49:04 PM »
Far as I know the optional doesn't accomplish a damn thing.  Maybe it makes less Legion spawn in one of those towers?  I don't know.  Oliver obviously closed it so he could explode it open for dramatic effect.  It would be just like him.  Arcade can get some happy endings at least.  Veronica is always screwed.

Enemies are just very alert to Sneak in DLCs, they are literally more aware of sneaking than normal movement.  Lobotomites will easily pick you up halfway across the map when standing would leave them clueless.

Deathclaw hunting in melee is viable if you manage to max out your DR and DT.  10 damage!  From the absolute strongest Deathclaws!

Hardcore doesn't really do that much.  Oh no, dehydration!  Better drink one of my 50 waters.  I only ever had to reset... thrice because of comp death.  There's plenty of limb-healing to go around especially if you do Honest Hearts fairly early and get the Healing Poultices.  Stimpacks being HoTs instead of instant just means chomping down on half your food to get back up instead.  Ammo weight was honestly the real stickler.  On the other hand, Hardcore let me try a bunch of perks I'd otherwise never consider so in the end, shrug.

The even more hilarious thing about Skilled?  Take it at creation for +5, take it again at the character rebuild leaving Goodsprings for another +5, then go into OWB and take it again for a grand total of +15 to all skills for an utterly minimal experience penalty.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 04:58:55 PM by Fudozukushi »

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: January 12, 2014, 04:58:58 PM »
WC3FT: Beat the Undead campaign. Hahaha the last map is called A Symphony of Frost and Flame. Well played, game.

Undead campaign needed way more Dark Ranger. Easily the best character, and that's ignoring the fact that I think she's the most fun hero to control. Perhaps the only one who isn't too holy for her britches but also isn't obsessed with obsession. Naga Queen is fun too.

Game makes me wish I had gotten into RTS years ago, because I could see myself really enjoying WC3 1v1... except that SC2 is way better in every way except for its lack of Heroes (which arguably makes for a better 1v1 RTS anyway).

Compared to Reign of Chaos, Frozen Throne had a lot more gimmick maps... well, gimmick maps that altered your playstyle. This is to it's benefit. Straight macro games are boring against the AI on normal, and the Hard AI pulls a lot of bullshit that would be interesting in a better game but just makes things take longer in this one. The most fun maps for me ended up being the Alliance campaign maps, with the Tower Defense, DOTA/Footies-style You-Only-Control-Your-Heroes, and the last map where you control two teams down different corridors. Even the maps where you controlled two bases (last Night Elf/Sentinel, and the last Dark Ranger) maps were thoroughly enjoyable. The only gimmick I didn't like was the ship transport maps, which felt like they took over the majority of the game.

Will play the Orc campaign and then move onto SC2 WoL, and after that HotS. Since Starcraft 2 is a way better game, I will play that on Brutal. Assuming that my internet connection doesn't make it unviable, I will be streaming this nonsense at the behest of certain benefactors.

EDIT: Orc Campaign is a boring man's Diablo so I am bored.

SC2WoL: Jim, Jim, Mengsk isn't inside the TV. Shooting the TV won't help anything. You are from the future you should know how television works.

Also how does Tychus pee? He is sealed in his marine suit.

Is that what stimpack is?

How... how does he go #2?

Already SC2 has raised far more questions than WC3 ever will.

(Too bad there ever won't be WC4 since WoW is such a cash cow... SC2-level multiplayer with WC3-style Hero mechanics? I'd be all over that shit in a hot, sweaty, Scottish minute.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 06:42:11 PM by Makkotah »

Anthony Edward Stark

• Is that... Alcohol?
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • Modern Drunkard Magazine
« Reply #103 on: January 12, 2014, 07:18:56 PM »
The final moral is, in FONV, the only ending where you'll probably get what you want is the Independent ending, because the only person you can completely trust is yourself.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: January 12, 2014, 09:44:06 PM »
It's like what they say about secrets, three men can keep a secret, if two of them are dead.  Except in this case its more like the entire population of the Mojave.

Genocide Couriers adventure returns him to the Red Rock Canyon and his arch-nemesis the Great Khans.  Despite supposedly having legendary toughness, the Khans die to an endless storm of their own knives.  They drop some nice trophies for Vendortron to take a gander at.  Following the righteous extermination of the Khans, the next target would be the Vile Fiends.  Lady Dame Vioeltta nearly managed a kill with only a single dog, but true grit prevails.  World Championship Driver Nephi takes his swing at stopping Genocide, but he fails and his 9-iron falls into the right hands.  With my tools for the task, South Vegas falls beneath a slaughter of epic legal murder.  Vault 3 is breached, and all of its occupants slain to the last again. 

With the west won, Genocide sets his sights on taking care of more of the north, the "Freeside" area.  Already does the den of evil recognize his heroism.  But after clearing the streets and the one store peddling its evil wares, the sight comes into view of a FORT OF EVIL.  Inside are a dozen battle-hardened monsters, including a white-clothed demon who somehow survived a sneak crit and rallied its forces.  But brave Genocide was not to be overcome!  And he won out the day, once again.

With the north secure, for now, sights were set east.  The Sharecropper farms, who now only raise corpses, and the Aerotech Refuge Park are both wiped out.  An attack on a small water post to the south is interuppted by the first-ever Ranger Hit team.  Cowards that they are, they run in fear claiming "Ohhhh we're letting you live".  Well Genocide didn't let them live.  Following that, the last bastion of the Followers of the Apocalypse fell to Armageddon.  The sole remaining member died valiantly at the 188 Trading Post, but he was only the first of many casualties at the post.

Needing to repair his weapons, Genocide headed to the REPCONN HQ to find some scrap electronics.  But no robot held such guts.  On leaving, Genocide encountered the one enemy even he could not defeat, crashing.

Extinct Communities
Red Rock Canyon gets its name from the Khan blood spilled on all the rocks.
Vault 3 had its second run in with Genocide.
Old Mormon Fort's current occupants went the way of the original occupants.
The only refuge in the Aerotech Office Park is from the harshness of living.
NCR Sharecroppers only share in death now. (Both of these were too dull to capture.)
The 188 Trading Post is enacted at the crossroads of Death and Die.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: January 13, 2014, 12:07:31 AM »
Guacamelee: Goddamn I want a burrito right now.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 13, 2014, 12:40:45 AM »
Paper Mario Sticker Star - Annnd finally done! The Bowser fight was quite nasty, mainly due to the second fight -requiring- you to end a high-defense Whomp rather quick lest he overwhelms you, and the first phase's MT emphasis can also seriously hamper you. Bowser being spiky-class doesn't help matters either! Still nothing some preparatory measures with stickers couldn't do. Boom Box is a lifesaver in the fight.

In the end, the game sorta lost a bit of steam by the last stages, but the bases it works off are way too strong. Very elegant, efficiency-emphasizing battle design and some really fun boss fights (at least until the third stage: the fourth and fifth boss are quite disappointing, though Bowser Jr. has a cute gimmick and Bowser himself is a -great- fight). The biggest problem I see with the game besides the hit-and-miss level design (even though I freaking love the idea itself - the stage division makes the game really friendly to play in short bursts) is how sparse the writing in general is. Seriously, a game where Bowser gets no screentime? It's not even particularly humorous, though it doesn't take itself seriously either.

On the other hand, the sheer fourth wall breaking with emphasizing the paper world even further just makes the game's atmosphere five kinds of surreal. The sticker idea makes the entire quest flaunt a strange aesthetic dadaism, and that's charming as fuck. The Thing sticker descriptions are also golden. Anyhow, I can see how I could -dislike- the game having played former entries in the series, but the fundamentals in battle design are way too solid and I enjoyed the weird game structure anyway. 7/10 works, and if this is a bad entry in the series, I can't wait to play the rest.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:23:06 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 13, 2014, 02:39:50 AM »
Picked up a Vita and PS+, so I grabbed:

Sonic & All Stars Racing Transformed - Surprisingly good racing game. Reaching the point where I have to clear things in Hard or Expert to get enough stars to progress, which is annoying. Hard is doable on some challenges(Race, Battle, Duel, Pursuit) but on others...not so much. Hell, I can't even complete Medium on most Sprint maps. Still, game is a pretty fun time waster. Vyse has been my main, followed by Tails, Alex Kidd and Knuckles. I wanted to use BD Joe, but even with mods that increase his handling he is just so hard to control. Now that I have Vyse maxed out, and Tails/Alex are right behind him, I think I may start using Joe Musashi and Beat.

Gravity Rush: Interesting game, though not enjoying it too much thus far. Maybe once stuff picks up or the plot becomes comprehensible at all it'll get better?

P4 Golden: It's Persona 4. 10/10 and all that jazz.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 13, 2014, 04:17:25 AM »
PW5: Just beat first trial of Case 2! This game is...well...PW...with shinier graphics...what's not to love?

Bayonetta hard Mode: Just beat Chap 2.  It's a typical DMC-ish Hard Mode, so yeah, I know what I'm getting myself into.  Glad to know I haven't lost all my skills in this game despite a hiatus.
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2014, 11:15:10 PM »
Fallout Genocide: Following his deadly rematch with Crashing, Genocide makes his way east, towards stuff!  But then heads north, for the loot.  Eventually his wilely ways wrap him around to the west again, west in need of armor.  Armor that helps, during his brutal no-hold barred assault at the Great Camp McCarren.  The NCR's deadliest sharpshooters cannot do anything to what they can't see.  Those trapped inside the main building are separate, weak, easy pickings to being exploded.  The handful of troops left cower in watchtowers, but the NCR's own weapons turn against them, and the only thing left, is silence.

Seeking to stop this madness, a second Ranger Kill Team is dispatched during Genocide's travels.  After he deals with them, he learns a shocking truth!  He's too feable to get the Unstoppable Force perk!  Oh noes, to the robot land he must go to get a point of strength!  But what does he do with this level perk now?  Why, remember he's actually a cannibal!  Hmmm mmm Ranger flesh give him your powers.

Speaking of rangers, hello Boulder City!  Goodbye inhabitants of Boulder City!  You'll be remembered as delicious.

Following that mighty segue.  Genocide has to pass south.  Along the way he comes across a few scattering of folk, who all join the wasteland dead.  Though some dogs give him a good run for his life, No-Bark doesn't, and becomes the first death in Novac.  He wasn't the last.  The residents were unable to figure out their assailant, even when they were having husbands eaten right around the corner.  A stealthy extermination campaign is brutally waged, even against a new Victor robot, but eventually Vac is secure and eaten.

Continuing on south, Ranger Station Charlie is dealt with, before a mysterious Blue Beam Teleports Genocide to a new place.  A lifeless place.  Well, once he was done with it.  Death ruled the day at Big MT.  Genocide saw fit to that.

Extinct Communities
Genocide managed to solve Camp McCarren's food problems twice over.
The Last Thing First Recon Never Saw Wasn't Me.
Genocide topped Hanlon's Strategy at Boulder City by leaving no survivors.
Newly renamed town "Vac" holds its first dinner.
Ranger Station Charlie was exterminated ahead of schedule.
The Old World Blues are played over the gravestone of the Big Empty.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 11:16:46 PM by Fudozukushi »

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 15, 2014, 05:10:42 AM »
i n d i e  g a m e s

Hack, Slash, Loot: obtuse 8-bit roguelike, only reason to play more is TRADING CARDS

Lume: 3 minutes in, stupid wire puzzle, lmao point and click

Madballs: A TPS where you're a ball, kinda boring but not offensive. Actually beat this one

Blocks That Matter: Alright game in the brand new uncharted indie game genre of puzzle platformer, easily the best game here. Pretty hard, I'm 2bad to get all the special blocks

<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 15, 2014, 08:22:32 PM »
Rogue Legacy - played through

Beat the game with the 200th child.

Highly entertaining. Not enough to make me want to do any new game plus material, though.

Bone: Out From Boneville - played through

Crushingly mediocre. Actually makes me kinda relieved that they stopped making the series after only two games, assuming that the other one isn't going to have a dramatic jump in quality.

I especially dislike how the game doesn't lock the mouse into the window, even in fullscreen mode, and there are minigames where you need to move characters left and right by waving it left and right and jump via clicking. They move slowly enough to begin with, I don't need the further obstruction of the game losing focus when other applications end up being clicked on.

Bravely Default - Got what I'm going to call the early ending, as I don't know what people are calling them and I don't know what the other is like.

Endings aside, I guess I like the idea of where the game's been going, but the implementation is terrible and just make it feel like it's dragging horribly, and the payoff so far has been far from worth it.

Currently in world T minus 2, they've changed things up a bit, but it's not really helping. I guess at least it looks like there might be one plotline resolved here. Maybe.

Floods of Shadowflare are continuing to serve me well. Salve-makers for best class.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 16, 2014, 05:49:30 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Fresh from his adventures in Genocide Mountain, Genocide Courier sets his sights on getting himself a new weapon.  One that requires taking care of the rest of "Freeside" in the process.  It's a tumultuous plan, as the speedy MISTER SOREN escapes thrice, before the swift fists of genocide reach him.  His half-dozen guards fall easily right after.  But from their corpses Genocide learns of something even greater, the KING OF EVIL.  Inside his SCHOOL OF EVIL he waits behind loked door for the confrontation a long time coming.  It is swift, it is brutal, but before long the KING OF EVIL is slain and devoured.  His minions following him to the grave.

But evil, would have one last laugh, as the secret weapon Genocide was searching for never appeared...

Seeking a way to vent his frustrations, Genocide headed north, through a land of explosions that never hurt him.  His assailants thought to ensnare him with words of control, but he ensnared them with fists of death.

Finding no true solution to his problems here, he returned to the center, to face the truth once and for all.  The Robotic Minions protecting the stripe fell like all those before.  Fearing for their robotic lives, they opened the way to the Lucky 38 in a last desperate bid for defense.  It failed.  But Genocide was a form of mercy that day, he wouldn't go for the kill immediately.  No, the arms and legs of the stripe would be cut off first.  The Omertas were the first target of the day.  They wouldn't be the last... but the day had ended.

Extinct Communities
The only thing that rules Fresside is death.
The only thing about the Boomers that explodes is their heads.
Never play with fire, and never fuck with the Courier.  Two lessons the Omertas failed.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 16, 2014, 06:22:41 AM »
Civ 5 - Hooray, 2/2 on Emperor difficulty. I keep telling myself I'm done with the game but it never seems to happen.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: January 16, 2014, 07:46:04 AM »
All the more turns.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:36 PM »
Just N+1 more turns than intended (For very large values of N).

Fallout: New Vegas - Finished Lonesome Road then finished the game getting No Godes, No Masters.  Good ending.  Mostly good things happen if you let them. 

Ulysses was pretty great.  Lonesome Road really ties together themes from the other DLCs pretty well, its neat seeing someone do a series of DLC that have their own narrative arc and the pay off in Lonesome Road really shines.  There isn't much to say, its a boat load of flavour slowly drizzled to a peak at the end of it.  It does kind of make me want to reread the Odyssey but I remember how fucking long it is, so that may not happen.  Its a smart chunk of writing that doesn't hold your hand through it too much.  It makes reference to a lot of things and lets the player get the reference or gently nudges you along the gist of it without getting super explicit about it or beating you over the head with the references (unless you are Otter then you will probably eyeroll infinitely because its talking directly at areas of his expertise).

They would all work fine standalone really.  Honest Hearts feels like the weakest link narratively, while Dead Money I think is the worst gameplay wise.  At least Dead Money is interesting, but Honest Hearts is frankly kind of boring.  May be coloured by the fact that it crashed a billion times.  Old World Blues is probably the most consistently good.  It also benefits from being the one for lowest level.  The stupid gameplay of Dead Money doesn't get frustrating and annoying.  You always feel like you are being rewarded for what you are doing, unlike Honest Hearts (Dead Money you don't feel rewarded either... but just progressing is a thing there).  Lonesome Road just throws new gear at you like candy because fuck it, its the end of the game's lifecycle and by the time you beat it you are functionally done, even if you went straight there.  OWB on the other hand always feels like you are being rewarded with crazy weird new stuff and doing something new.  It only really drags when you are opening up higher ranks of the Stealth Suit and some other stuff.  Otherwise it works really well.  Props to it for having minor endings unlock based on discovery on the map to and directing you to most of it but not all of it.  Fun DLC all round.

Replay of the game makes me unsure if I will replay though.  The writing is still top notch, but the gameplay really grates a second time, especially after yet one more Beth game that I kind of didn't hate coming out making me realised the only time I enjoy this engine is on super easy when you totally skip the gameplay really puts a damper on it.  Sadly the Fallout variant of it is still probably the best with limb damage letting you influence the combat somewhat more.  Just ARGH this engine is always so unstable and both teams that have worked with it make combat feel like really slow number generators bumping into each other until one of them is empty.  At least Skyrim is a little less fragile (from memory?). But all three of the ones that used this specific iteration of the engine are crazy crazy buggy (Oblivion, FO3 and NV) and not in the fun way, but in the crash to desktop need to restart the game way.  Some points I was doing it every 10 minutes or so on average.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 17, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
Fallout Genocide: Genocide's adventures continue in the Stripe, clearing out more and more of its population.  Next is the fabled White Glove Society, in another life they might be brothers-in-arms of him, but in this life they're just another feast waiting to happen.  Along the path of carnage, Genocide has a brilliant idea!  Try and pickpocket before brutally murdering them all and get that stupid achievement out of the way!  If would eventually succeed, far, far into the future.  After dining on delicious comrade flesh, Courier heads out to his next goal... THE HIDDEN VALLEY BUNKER.

The Brotherhood of Steel DARES him to try anything.  HE CALLED THEIR BLUFF.  Then he called them dead.  That's another 20 dog tags to add to the growing pile with the NCR ones.  With the Brotherhood's evil wiped out, next was finally dealing with Mr. House and Benny.  First came the man in the checkered suit.  His goons attempted to stop Genocide, but they were no match for being cut apart at lightning speed.  Benny's attempt backfired so spectacularly that he ended up dead by his own gun.  Genocide cleared the rest of the tops, including the destruction of some odd robot in a backroom.  Probably nothing.

Leaving the Tops, Genocide is accused by two factions vying for his favor.  One of those does not take a single step further.  But using his foresight, Genocide knows he must use the other to ensure one of his TRUE targets even arrives.  But before that is taking care of another, so seeped in EVIL it had wrecked his mortal form.  But what applies to wine applies to flesh as well.  Mister House was utterly delectable.  Speeding on, Genocide hurries through the NCR villainy, until the President of EVIL arrives.  He soon leaves.  THIS MORTAL COIL.

With another Champion of Evil devoured.  It's time to make SMILES appear on a big screen.  This returns robot soldiers to the Stripe's surface, but not for long.  With the Stripe clear again, Genocide heads south to target the last Champion.  Taking care of outliers at Nipton, Raid Camp and the Camp Searchlight, Genocide approaches the feedpost of Cottonwood Cove.  Attired in Legion garb, he slips in after learning all he can from some guy on fire.  What he learns is that everything will die.  Some family members will even get to watch their beloveds be devoured in front of their eyes.  With the feed camp eaten, Genocide makes for his true goal.

THE FORT OF ETERNAL EVIL.  Still hidden by his armor, Genocide sneaks in effortlessly, but a mistake with explosives results in him getting spotted eating someone.  Popping all his MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS, he charges in with a blistering endless wave of knife slashes.  Genocide strikes so quickly that he somehow manages to knock someone unconscious using a knife.  Following this, he attacks the final Champion.  His knife strikes true, earning him a great EXP reward and more importantly, Light Armor that isn't garbage for DT and health.  His next goal is activating a robot army.  The guards accost him, staring in wonder at the President's Assassin despite the utterly ridiculous contrivance needed to even get that message to appear.  They then die.  In the bunker, the Rads push him on quickly, the bunker starting to explode make him move even faster.

More... for a later time...

Extinct Communities
The White Glove Societies Bathes are heating up with Genocide's special ingredient; fiery corpses.
Professor Genocide gives a lecture on "Exterminating the Brotherhood of Steel" at Hidden Valley Bunker.
Benny took a gamble on ruling New Vegas, but he and the chairman lost it all instead.
The Stripe was cleansed of all living things.
President Kimbell's Speech was interrupted by a sudden case of everyone dying.
Nipton is now an even bigger ghost-town.
The Legion Raid Camp was raided by the reaper.
Everyone went together to death at Camp Searchlight.
The Feeding Pens at Cottenwood Cove were all full up.
Genocide Rules the Fort atop his Throne of Corpses
« Last Edit: January 17, 2014, 04:22:10 AM by Fudozukushi »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2014, 12:36:33 PM »
Tales From Space: Mutant Blobs Attack - played through

Fun little game. I was never really able to get used to the controls though, which made some parts more difficult than they should have been.

Bravely Default - Got what I'm going to call the circle ending.

Unhappily, the game never really got out of its slump.

It feels like half the storyline isn't listening to what the other half is saying either, which bugs me. For examples:
* The party keeps saying things like 'This crystal has reverted' long after the point at which they know they're going to parallel worlds, and getting surprised by there being ghosts on the ghost ship when it's the third time they've gone there, and so on.
* The angel apparently somehow visited every world, which doesn't really make sense given that it's supposed to be a single entity. I can't really imagine that X of them managed to pull the same thing off and they all managed to visit the worlds the party ended up in, especially since it can be assumed that parties normally 'awakened' at least one world, and there should consequently be less of them than there are worlds for them to visit.
* EDIT: Wait, I'm just going over the post-game notes additions, and apparently DeRosso's final speech was supposed to be him granting immortality to himself in the past? That makes even LESS sense because there's DEFINITELY only one DeRosso doing this. What the heck is this.
* Parallel parties exist on the parallel worlds belonging to 'Friends', which can't be true unless there are multiple Airys (because any worlds she's been to, she's either killed the party of or took it to subsequent worlds.) One of the friend worlds actually has Ringabel and Alternis show up together!

Of course every parallel world has every chest/gate you've opened still opened, most of the time you never find out what happened to the parallel versions of the party members, no-one cares that there's a second Grandship in the world...

Some of the theories I had were right, some of them were wrong. So it goes. None of the minor asterisk holder plots ever really get fleshed out, unhappily. It's never explained why so many people are being allowed to be so reprehensible.

Medication still the best ability set. Sadly, the final circle boss went on for so long that I ran out of dragon fangs. I ate a couple of bravely seconds that I hadn't been using and threw some of the absurd friend summons I had on hand at it, dealt with that problem fairly handily. Good times.

I'm not going to bother trying to take out the superboss. Never really bothered with any of the nemeses either, and that's also something I'm not planning on doing.

I want to know what Airy's wings looked like back when she had ~10,000 worlds to go.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 12:42:43 PM by Twilkitri »

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2014, 08:08:47 PM »
KH 3DS - What an incoherent mess.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2014, 08:20:02 PM »
You misspelled Glorious.

(The scenes will flip, more or less at random, between complete dud, surprisingly effective, and glorious trainwreck.  It's kinda great.)
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2014, 08:28:36 PM »
Doesn't that sum up the Kingdom Hearts series as a whole though?
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
Dream Drop Distance is basically distilled essence of Kingdom Hearts, yes.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2014, 09:34:22 PM »
Ys Memories of Celceta: Yeesh they could have named this game "Ys 7: Part 2."  Same controls, same system with Slash / blunt / pierce typing & weakness hitting, same annoying skill usage grinding, same super-move system, same beat-the-snot out of resource piles to pick up goodies.  Also Adol starts with a big burly punchy dude to provide dialogue due to Adol's crippling larynghitis, and then proceeds to promptly recruit a spunky orange-haired princess.  Luckily, I liked Ys 7, so this is okay, just surprised they didn't insert some kind of new gimmick.

I will say more generally that the dodge button in Ys 7 / MoC seems a bit overcentralizing.  To compare with Ys Origin, for example, only one character has a dash in it - and he's the short range only character that often needs to use it to *close*.  A nice long dodge/roll here seems a generic "get out of trouble free" card if you time it up with the enemy attack, so you rarely get yourself into trouble with bad positioning.  Then again, it's still early yet (~3-4 hours in), so we'll see.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2014, 11:44:00 PM »
Fallout Genocide: Flush with his victory over all the Champions of Evil, Genocide heads up a charge along the west bank of the colorado to clear more enemies.  Ranger Stations, Echo, Delta and Alpha all fall, while the camps at Forlorn Hope and Nelson break as well.  Though during the rampage at the Nelson, some things happened.  Attempting to cut down the troopers crucified at Nelson ended up freeing them in odd, odd ways.  But it was no matter as they soon died like so many others. 

With the banks cleared, Genocide spied the mighty Camp Golf in the distance.  It was time for Nephi's 9-Iron to return to its true home.  Ingress unto the green was quick and easy and Genocide began by eliminating the command tent then removing the outer sentries.  Once finished, he dealt with the camps primary threat, the Misfits.  Magically able to tell when one another was hurt, Genocide's sneak attempt failed, and thus forced a mad assault on the resort proper.  The Ranger Vets would not give up without a fight, but MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS could win all fights.

Next came securing the Lake edge itself.  Lakelurks, cazadors and various wildlife attempted to stop the attack, but nothing could.  Not even the next targets, the Bitter Springs area, or Ranger Station Bravo.  Their resources now aided the Genocide.  Taking his views in a different direction, he struck at the final bastions of energy for his enemies.  El Dorado Substation fell easily, but obnoxiousness at Helios One's entrance forced two restarts.  But MAGIC SUPERSPEED DRUGS solve everything.  It wasn't long before another location fell to Genocide's decrees.

Extinct Communities
Ranger Station Echo is just an echo.
Nelson is back in my hands.
Camp Forlorn Hope has finally given up the Ghost.
Ranger Station Delta is no more.
Ranger Station Alpha was not first into the grave.
The misfits aren't the only ones up for review on under-preforming at Camp Golf.
Bitter Springs Massacre 2: Courier Boogaloo
Ranger Station Bravo no longer has to worry about Legion Raiding parties.
El Dorado Substation's power is being used for the righteous cause of death.
The AWESOME POWER OF THE SUN at Helios One was nothing compared to the AWESOME POWER OF MY FISTS.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 19, 2014, 12:45:21 AM »
Bsldur's Gate - I wasn't sure what to play after FO:NV so when I scrolled past the Enhanced edition in my steam library I defaulted to it.  Tweak pack with assorted changes is the only mod installed.  Bhallspawn is a Halfing Kensai using daggers.  I wanted to get some use out of 2D4 throwing daggers in BG2 and because I am sick of hearing about how great certain weapon types are because after your +15 damage a swing from enchantment, Strength and Expertise omg this one can totally do 2 more damage sometimes!!!!  Smaller weapons are totally viable.  The only thing that really sinks a build is weapon availability.  So anyone that has played can tell you there is annoying fucking daggers you always vendor aplenty.

Also I get to run around as a naked halfling fucking people up with a knife, so you know, a fantasy of mine.

Party picked is Imoen, Khalid, Jaheira, Viconia, Khivan.  A pretty stock party and I already regret not trying the new PCs, but I missed them on the way down to Nashkel so didn't get them and I am obsessive about committing to a team.  It is weird not having a Mage at all.  Imoen is nearly level 7 where I will swap her over though.  I cleared most of the map already, up to Cloakwood.  Durlag's Tower still not done or any of the expansion dungeons, but otherwise it is BG and Cloakwood left to go.  Of course the run where I have no Mage an Ogre Mage drops a scroll of Fireball in a random encounter.  Normally you either have to clear Firewine Bridge with it's annoying suicide lightning bolt Mage or get to the city itself to get it.  So getting it from some trash random encounter was lucky.