Register

Author Topic: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition  (Read 18990 times)

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
Re: Good Morning, 2014! #firstworldproblems edition
« Reply #50 on: February 24, 2014, 06:38:42 PM »
Idle rumblings at the company. CEO is in the office (which he does rarely), boss took an unspecified vacation Thursday/Friday and then canceled a rescheduling of a meeting I had with him from Friday, our monthly All-Hands Meeting was rescheduled to a week later, and we're about on schedule for getting that announcement about what the Shadowy Investors actually are doing.

On the most extreme side, the company might be going away. On the less extreme side, but still kinda huge, would be dropping the PC division as of the release of our next game +/- 6 months. Most likely it's just more of the same nothing and a string of coincidences.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2014, 08:50:54 PM »
As of April 1st, I am unemployed.

April Fool's!

Meeplelard

• Fire Starter
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2014, 02:40:29 AM »
:( to Andrew

FINALLY starting Practicum tomorrow.  This is kind of a Pre-Student Teaching Student teaching thing in that I go in once a week and do school stuff with a co-op teacher.

This was suppose to start 3 weeks ago.  So why now?  Well, I couldn't contact the teacher until the end of the first week, so that's gone.  Schedule a day the next week, no problem!

...that day gets snowed out...and it's Friday, so that's cool, I'll do it next week!

...this is a district that takes all of President's week off, as opposed to just a few days, so THAT is entirely gone.

So yeah, FINALLY getting it started tomorrow.  Talking to guys doing Student Teaching this semester, apparently Practicum is the biggest bullshit ever because of all the unnecessary nonsense you gotta do (where as Student Teaching is mostly lesson planning, and the occasional seminar class, thus everything feels far more practical, despite more work.)
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> so Snow...
[21:39] <+Mega_Mettaur> Sonic Chaos
[21:39] <+Hello-NewAgeHipsterDojimaDee> That's -brilliant-.

[17:02] <+Tengu_Man> Raven is a better comic relief PC than A

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile

Idun

« Reply #54 on: March 01, 2014, 01:34:37 AM »
:( to Andrew

...that day gets snowed out...and it's Friday, so that's cool, I'll do it next week!

Pft. Snow.

Sorry, Andrew.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 01, 2014, 03:19:50 PM »
Wow, dang, sorry to hear about Aeria getting bought out. Hope you guys find new employment soon.

So that Habit RPG thing I linked in Misc Links has made this past week the most productive I've been of my own volition outside of work. My house is actually clean, I'm finally picking up the guitar my friend gave me and starting to play, and I haven't been on Reddit (nor have I wanted to go on Reddit) for over a week. It's kind of sad how much more I care about filling up experience bars than I do about my own self improvement, but whatever.

It's really nice to be getting in touch with music again. I still, unfortunately, don't gain much enjoyment from playing my saxophone, primarily because sheet music is expensive and I am not good at improv, but seeing as almost every rock song in the last 50 years is the same 9 chords in different orders I'm enjoying getting a feel for the guitar by playing through those songs. It's easy to see now why Douchebag McGuitarGuy exists--it's not that hard of an instrument to fake your way through.

Also buckling down and doing intensive study for the JLPT2 in July. Assuming I can keep up the pace I've had for the last week, I don't foresee having any problems passing the exam. And with that, my post-JET job prospects go up quite a bit. I think it'd be good for me to get out of Japalabama and live somewhere else in Japan, but... ugh, working for a Japanese company and never having leisure time. No thanks. Probably will look into some Eikaiwa prospects that will have me living in one of the big cities after next July (or perhaps after next next July...). That'd be nice. The countryside is great for a little bit but I'm starting to realize that I've been out in the styx too long.

Ending.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 01, 2014, 03:44:33 PM »
I know you really don't want to come back here, so hopefully you do pass the exam and stay in Japan.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 01, 2014, 07:22:59 PM »
Oh, coming back to America isn't even an option. That's tantamount to moving back in with my parents.

I won't be staying in Japan, either. The question is how long I will stay here. Working for a proper Japanese company means working 7-wheneverbosswantstogodrankin and catching the last train to do it all over again. Efff that. I will try to work for some school in Tokyo, Osaka, Sapporo, Kyoto, or Fukuoka for a bit to live the city life before moving on, but how long I stay here in Amakusa (1 or two more years), and how long I stay there is a secret to everyone, especially myself.

There are plenty of businesses that are based in not-Japan that do business with Japan. That's what I'm aiming for now. A European company with dealings in Japan would be ideal, I think, but moving to Australia could be interesting as well. With the number of Japanese descendents and ex-pats in Brazil, I imagine I could probably find something that would take me there, too.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2014, 08:59:05 PM »
I am glad you picked up music again.  It sucks to have that missing from life.  You can't find joy from playing the Epic Sax guy bit over and over though?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Lady Door

• DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 03, 2014, 02:49:04 AM »
I didn't lose my job. In fact, since the company is 40% lighter I'm up for a raise and a promotion this week and I'm probably being sent for a week or so to the new company to do some training. ಠ_ಠ

Wishing the best for you, Zenny. It sounds like you've found much more of a home over in Japan than you had here. Good luck finding a job with a foreign firm that has an office in Japan -- that would be super awesome.

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 03, 2014, 06:02:21 PM »
Papa is home from respite, nana is at home and had her stitches out, the two worst months of the year are over, I am diet, yaay~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2014, 08:01:56 PM »
Just got back from a week in Hawaii at the conference. Presented a research poster on Wednesday as a part of a retirement ceremony for the pioneer of my field, and he even looked at my poster and told me I did a good job. :D Also got an opportunity to talk to an early-30's scientist in my field who said he was looking for PhD. students in New Zealand~ Also attended the retirement party which was a chance to meet some scientists in a bit more of a social capacity. I generally tried to attend a lot of research talks related to my field and otherwise slack and go to the beach.

Climbed up Diamond Head, which was a lookout mountain back when the primary thing done in Oahu was military. It was nice but I am really out of shape! Went to the Pearl Harbor museum and took a tour, where I was impressed with the emphasis on how terrible war is rather than American propaganda. Thumbs up. Saturday we bussed to the north of Oahu where there are some more quiet beaches and took a bunch of pictures and ate at Obama's favorite shaved ice place.  It's very beautiful! I'm just looking a little lobstery now.

Ate a lot of food that was paid for by the school. :D Thai and seafood seems to be the big thing in Hawaii.

Also got to hang out with one of my awesome lab mates a lot. She's from South Korea, so we went out for some Korean food the last night I was there. Yum :). Bought some glorious abortion-loving Girl Scout cookies; the samoas and the savannah smiles. They don't have those flavors in Canada. ;_;

The plane trip home was interesting. It started super turbulent for about 45 minutes, I thought I was going to die but then because of the really fast tailwind we went like 1200 km/hr and got home more quickly. Got home early despite leaving 30 minutes late, which was cool.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 08:04:00 PM by Luther Lansfeld »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2014, 08:27:10 PM »
And one last thing...

So there's two rival scientists in my field who hate each other. They each had 15 minute talks during the retirement ceremony session and at least one of them spent a lot of his 15 minutes taking shots at the other and his research. So you are given 15 minutes every TWO YEARS at the biggest conference in the field and you spend it ranting about your anime rival? 'kay.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 04, 2014, 04:25:56 AM »
So you are given 15 minutes every TWO YEARS at the biggest conference in the field and you spend it ranting about your anime rival? 'kay.

Worth

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 04, 2014, 05:30:47 AM »
Worth

Didn't even finish what you started.  Typical.  Just like your theories.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 04, 2014, 07:52:12 AM »
Quote from: Grefter
Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeh big firm cocks

Indeed. Epic Sax guy wasn't all that interesting to me. That said after I posted that post I made plans to get together with a friend to work on a Sax/Piano duet so well there's that.

It sounds like you've found much more of a home over in Japan than you had here.

Not actually saying all that much, really. But thanks.

Unrelated:

DJ is this you.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #66 on: March 04, 2014, 05:50:26 PM »
I think I would have remembered if I took a picture with you while you were in prison, Zenny.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 04, 2014, 11:44:42 PM »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2014, 01:19:08 AM »
As could you. "Not available in your country."
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2014, 01:58:22 AM »
Did my URL work?  It took you to the right address.  I hyperlink like a motherfucker. 

I can't control the fact that the official SNL channel is blocked on youtube presumably by themselves.

Idun

« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2014, 05:49:41 AM »
Papa is home from respite, nana is at home and had her stitches out, the two worst months of the year are over, I am diet, yaay~

what a relief! i don't normally do regular emoticons, but a proper smile is in order. : D

ciato, re: scholars.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #72 on: March 08, 2014, 02:02:41 PM »
So yeah, it turns out that in ten days, I will be a resident if Nagoya, Japan. I'm going to be teaching at a private kindergarten that specializes in English language learning from an early enough age that true native fluency is possible and I'll be a full teacher this time, not just an assistant. Also I apparently will be teaching the children of rich people since the school's tuition costs are WOW.

Nagoya is the third largest city in Japan and roughly midway between Tokyo and Osaka (numbers 1 and 2) so I won't be stuck a backwoods quiet Jrpg protagonist village this time. Also, it's further south so there's no fear of giant mountains of snow piling up on my streets.

Cody, we should meet up at some point. Particularly if you're going to be job hunting in Nagoya.

I doubt I will make it to DLCon this year though

Anyway, time to uproot my entire life in ten days! Let's see if I crack~

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: March 08, 2014, 03:43:24 PM »
Oh, neat. Hey, actually I was thinking about doing a trip to Tokyo during Golden Week (looks like the last week of April this year). Wanna go hit up my friend's Metal Bar with me?

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #74 on: March 08, 2014, 07:27:21 PM »
Yeah sure, if you're buying the umeshuu. We should hit up one of the big multitude spa/waterpark places while we're in Tokyo. Way cheaper than a hotel and twice as many naked people!