imageRegister

Author Topic: Forum Invitational Tournament, Main Thread  (Read 2774 times)

Sir Donald 3.2

• Wanting some Kingdom conquering
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Forum Invitational Tournament, Main Thread
« on: April 24, 2009, 02:45:04 AM »
This should've been done in Season 50.  But I was moving at the time.  So, we're doing it now.

The Re-Re-Return of the Forum Invitational Tournament! (FIT)

For those of you new to the concept, the FIT is a tournament consisting of those who were heavily nominated for entry into a RPGDL Season but didn't receive a slot.  In this case, I took info from both Seasons 50 and 51 and "invited" fighters who had a total of 6 Nominations between those 2 Seasons.

I would like to specifically thank Twilkitri for constructing the Nomination Spreadsheets.  Saved me a few hours of work.  Honorable Mention to Taitoro for Color-Coding Season 50.  Thanks also to Super and Co. for putting it on back in Season 45.  (And who knows how many other Seasons besides...)

Because each division has between 18 and 22 qualified entrants, I've placed them into 4 Pools per Division.  The Winners of each Pool, as well as 4 Wild Cards, will be placed in a Playoff to determine the FIT Champions.

Without further Adieu...

FIT Season 51

Godlike:
Pool 1 is closed.  Results are in Pool #2  
Pool 2 is closed.  Results are in Pool #4
Pool 3 is closed.  Results are in the Quarterfinals Thread.
Pool 4 is closed.  Results are in the Quarterfinals Thread.
Quarterfinals are over.  Results are in the Semifinals Thread.

Heavy:

Middle:

Light:

Semifinals are over.  Results in the Finals thread.
Finals are over.  Results in the next post.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2009, 04:29:03 AM by Sir Donald 3.2 »

Sir Donald 3.2

• Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Forum Invitational Tournament, Main Thread
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2009, 05:04:54 AM »
All right.  I've kept you in suspense long enough.

The Results of the FIT 51 Finals!

Kahn   4
Garet   2

Noa   7
Mizuki   0

Daos   9
Celia   0

Jenna Angel   1
Yuna   8

The Wild Card express had to end somewhere... Still, Yuna was the only Winner not having the overall Top Seed in the FIT Playoffs.

On the other hand, at least one of these Finalists will put their training to the test.  In case you missed it, Garet was on BtS this week (Week 52-1) prior to his match against Lyonesse.  The Forum Invitational Tournament wishes him, Mint, Flay, Zero, Mewtwo, and especially Altima, as well as all of the other honorable fighters who went through the Tourney and got picked this Season, like Zophar, the best of luck.

As for those fighters who didn't get picked... I have good news for many of them:

Over the past weekend, I've been processing the Nomination Lists.  After careful consideration of the lists, as well as other factors, I have decided to continue the Forum Invitational Tournament in Season 52, as opposed to waiting until Season 53 and having it interrupted by DLCon4, as well as my own moving just before School starts.

And I can honestly say, "It'll be Bigger than Last Time!"

Any fighter that got at least 3 Noms this Season but isn't in the DL will get spots in FIT 52.  Yes, this does include anyone who got a win in the FIT Playoffs, unlike in seasons past.  Fighters that got 2 Noms or fewer... well... not.  Sorry, Kraken and Seth.

Anyway, the first week of action will start likely on Wednesday.

Will these four be able to defend their Titles?  Or do some of them have bigger and better goals in sight?  Stay tuned...

FIT Season 51 Champions

Sir Donald 3.2

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2009, 06:23:23 AM »
OK, Folks, we're back on!

This time, we have a whole lot of contenders.  So many that 3 of the Divisions will have 5 Pools rather than 4!

This also means that the number of spots in the FIT Playoffs in those 3 Divisions will increase, from 8 to 10:  5 Pool Winners and 5 Wild Cards.  The 5 Pool Winners and the Top Wild Card will receive Byes into the Quarterfinals.  The other Wild Cards will have to play in a Wild Card week.

Heavy didn't have enough fighters to justify an extra pool so they still will only advance 8 and proceed normally.

I'll try to get Pools started on Wednesday and Saturday for the 5 Pools, and Thursday for the 4 Pools and Playoffs.

EDIT 6/6:  Tentative  schedule coming into focus.  Later 2 Pools in the main 3 divisions will be affected.

FIT Season 52

Godlike
Pool #1 is over.  Results will be in Pool #3's Thread
Pool #2 is over.  Results will be in Pool #4's Thread
Pool #3 is over.  Results will be in Pool #5's Thread
Pool #4 is over.  Results will be in the Wild Card thread
Pool #5 is over.  Results will be in the Wild Card thread
The Wild Card Round is over.  Results in the Quarterfinals.

Heavy
Pool #1 is over.  Results will be in Pool #2's Thread
Pool #2 is over.  Results will be in Pool #3's Thread
Pool #3 is over.  Results will be in Pool #4's  Thread
Pool #4 is over.  Results in the Quarterfinals.
There is no Wild Card Round

Middle

Light

Quarterfinals are over.  Results in the Semifinals.
Semifinals are over.  Results in the Finals
Finals & Season Team Matches are over.  Results in the Bonus Week
Bonus Week is over.  Results within.
« Last Edit: July 28, 2009, 04:09:57 AM by Sir Donald 3.2 »

Sir Donald 3.2

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2009, 04:51:41 AM »
I must take a moment to cite a grave mistake on my part involving this year's Godlike Bracket.

As I was going through the list of noms, I detected 14 Godlikes in this Season's DL.

Unfortunately, I missed 1:  Tibarn.  (Checksum Failure on my part:  basically thought that since Week 1 only had 7, Week 2 would also have 7.  Never mind the fact that Myria was a Double-Champ.)

Now, if he was in any of the other pools, I would've just struck Tibarn and all matches he participated in, and used the record that way.  But this is the 4-Guy Pool.  And I'm not too keen on having the record stand on 2 matches.

I was going to consider having an oddball Wild Card Pool consisting of the two Pool losers and the Top 4 Wild Cards otherwise (we didn't have a 3-way tie for 1st, otherwise, the solution would've been to scrap the pool and add on.)

But then I realized, the other 3 members of Godlike Pool 1 are all Villians!  So giving them the record based on Tibarn being there would fit their villainy.  (Yes, he lost all 3 of his matches.)

And since there won't be a FIT 53 due to DLCon and my moving to College, I figure that I'll offer a "Would-have-been FIT 52 Godlike" at least the Pool Rounds after the current cycle is over.

But for now, Let the Show go on!

And, incidentally, the reason we're moving Godlike, Middle, and Light back a Pool is because I'm heading to Wichita, KS to visit my sister... and my newborn Nephew.

Also, between these unrelated issues, I figured that it would be best to release all of the Week 2 Pools (H2, G/M/L 3) on the same day.  This gives the Deadline of Monday for all of them.  I should be back by then... barring any accidents involving prairie dogs in Arkansas.  Don't ask.

Just thought you'd like to know the reason for the delay.  And to let you know in advance of my actions to adapt to this uncorrectable mistake.  (as opposed to the correctable error in Light Pool 2.)

Sir Donald 3.2

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 11:39:39 PM »
Well, even though I'm starting Graduate School, which for this Semester would include 4 Projects and a Term Paper, (I'm hoping to combine either two projects or 1 project and the TP,) I've decided to go ahead with 1 more season of the Forum Invitational Tournament!  However, due to aforementioned Grad School, I've decided to limit entry to those with 6 Noms over the past 2 Seasons (which irks the DL Greeter who had only 5.)  Which means only 3 Pools in Heavy, Middle, and Light.  (Godlike had enough for the full 4.)

Just a little FYI, I've been on a Punch-Out viewing binge lately, so each week's pool will be introed with their records, including Knock-Outs, which I define as any margin at least 2:1.

Also, start dates are subject to change for reasons of schoolwork, Football, etc.  Time deadlines are usually 10 PM ET

Week 1 (Saturday 9/5 - Wednesday 9/9)
Godlike
Heavy
Middle
Light

Bonus Godlike Pool (Wednesday 9/9 - Sunday 9/13)

Week 2 (Friday 9/11 - Tuesday 9/15)
Godlike
Heavy
Middle
Light

Week 3 (Tuesday 9/15 - Saturday 9/19)
Godlike
Heavy
Middle
Light

Quarterfinals (Saturday 9/26 - Wednesday 9/30)
Godlike
Heavy
Middle
Light

Semifinals (Friday 10/2 - Tuesday 10/6)
Finals (Friday 10/9 - Tuesday 10/13)
Results and Resolution
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:52:14 PM by Sir Donald 3.2 »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2009, 05:37:55 AM »
I'd bump it up to 4 day updates, just so you can get through the FIT season before this season's wrapped up.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2009, 05:44:02 AM »
Want to note that I really like the Punch-out style intros. Stylish and it appeals to my love of collectible fighter-cards.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2009, 04:14:26 PM »
Gonna be a while till you update again, Donald?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Sir Donald 3.2

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2009, 07:12:44 PM »
I'll (try to) have the Quarterfinals up within a few days... the whole "card" thing plus the tables.  (BTW, thanks for the complement Djinn)

Light Homework this weekend, but also gotta start my research this week.  Meh...