Author Topic: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew vs Pokemon - DAILY UPDATES!  (Read 43719 times)

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
Re: An Aesthetic Discussion Spanning 17 Years - Andrew versus Pokemon
« Reply #275 on: January 21, 2018, 07:05:44 AM »
I'm not sure I actually intended the title to be literal.

Ahem. Anyhow, since I started play ULTRA MOON, I figure I should resume poke reviews, yeah?

Shroomish: Literally Grefter. I like this cranky little fucker, but I think ultimately his design ends up not quite working for me. Cranky waddling mushroom? Good. He just... doesn't look very mushroomy. He looks more flowery, less mushroom. Same for the green body spots, creating the illusion that he just has an odd skirt draped over him. Still, I like it a little better than something like Oddish, and since I can't remember what I scored that, I'll score this one 3/5

Breloom: Oh you. I like you. Mushroom dinosaur is cool. You share some neat stuff with your pre-evo, but you just... change so much so as to look like a totally different thing. Like... arms! And stuff. I'm also not too fond of how the green and beige are kept pretty indepdent of each other instead of being allowed to mingle. Also the way his head expands into the mushroom freaks me out a little. Agh. Still wish he and Shroomish had a bit more relation. 4/5

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #276 on: January 21, 2018, 08:05:22 AM »
Breloom barely having arms kinda weirds me out, because it's known for some of the most powerful punching attacks in the game. Mushroom dinosaur is still pretty cool, though.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #277 on: January 23, 2018, 01:16:30 AM »
Honestly, I kinda like the idea that Breloom has surprise stretchy arms. It is the claw thing that bothers me more about the punch identity.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #278 on: January 23, 2018, 01:29:59 AM »
Slakoth: Sloth. Is a sloth. It has a stupid face. 2/5

Vigoroth: Honestly, this is a pretty cool evo. You can tell that it comes from its previous evo, it maintains most of the defining features, and it makes changes that reflect the altered characterization. The color change is a bit odd, but I think it reflects the pumped nature pretty decently. The red hair thing is a bit goofy though. Would look better more scruffy. 4/5

Slaking: Insert your own jokes here. The loss of the claws are a shame and I think reduce this design a bit, but it at least continues through its theme and evo line. Also really ugly. 2/5

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #279 on: January 23, 2018, 03:52:06 AM »
I will say that Slaking is a pretty inspired pun name for a fictional sloth king.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #280 on: January 23, 2018, 04:10:42 AM »
Anyone else feel that Slaking looks kinda like Homer Simpson?

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #281 on: January 23, 2018, 07:07:10 AM »
I would HONESTLY be shocked it it wasn't an inspiration somehow.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #282 on: January 24, 2018, 07:08:29 AM »
Nincada: A pretty cute take on a horrifying insect. Big eyes and all. And look, segmentation that MAKES SENSE. The green is a nice little touch and I agree that there needed to be something else to break up the grey, but I'm not sure how much I like just those front claws being brown. Drawing that coloration back a bit more I think would be nicer? Still, it's a good bug. 4/5

Ninjask: I feel like I shouldn't like this one, but I do. Basically, while it borders on over detailed, I think it manages to come in just under that point, as well as communicating the idea of cicada + ninja well with the face "mask." 4/5

Shedinja: Is amazing. Like, great concept and great realization of the design. Like, super cool the approach they take and how well they communicate a sort of uncanny dead imagery with the exploded back of the cicada husk forming wings. Just a great design. 5/5

Whismur: *sighs* The FUCK is wrong with your eyes? I mean, I'll actually yield that this design is kinda cute? It works better than something like I Jigglypuff I guess? Having a hard time placing why, though. Also the hole under the ears is something I've never noticed before. 3/5

Loudred: Well that went downhill fast. I mean, I guess it makes a bit more sense than Golbat thematically, but this gaping mouthed motherfucker is still ugly. Especially those stupid plug teeth and nails. 1/5

Exploud: I... guess you're better than Loudred but... not enough to really justify any higher ranking. You're made of fucking ugly ass tubes. You're basically a speaker with a bunch of fucking exhaust pipes. 1/5

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #283 on: January 24, 2018, 08:53:08 AM »
Can you imagine the farts though?
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #284 on: January 25, 2018, 04:46:16 AM »
Shedinja is such an A+ bug. If I was forced to choose a bug pokemon, it would totally be a Shedinja.

Just... apparently if you look at the hole in its back, it will suck your soul into it.

Awesome.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #285 on: March 04, 2018, 09:25:05 AM »
Makuhita: The original trash bag pokemon. I mean, look at him! He's even go the little tie on top of his head! Seriously though, he's fine. I'm not overly fond of him, but like Gardevoir, he kinda fits in that category of what I want humanoid looking Pokemon to look like: something humanoid but clearly distinct from humans. And he gets the idea of fight across well without really having the problems of the Machop line or Hitmonchan in really going too far with clothes. Not really underdesigned, not really overdesigned, he just functions. 3/5

Hariyama: More pokemon really need smoother evolutions. More involved color/shape maintenance. That sort of thing. Independently the design is... fine. The coloration on the hands is a bit goofy, the massive earholes look stupid, and the coloration (hands & belly not matching skirt but being close) is irritation, but the rest more or less works? Leaning positive meh, I guess. 3/5
« Last Edit: March 04, 2018, 06:59:29 PM by AndrewRogue »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #286 on: March 04, 2018, 08:02:20 PM »
TFW bae makes fun of humanoid things that look look like full trash bags and you are actually a garbage human.

Ha ha ha.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #287 on: March 14, 2018, 07:49:40 AM »
Makuhita's cheeks bother me a lot. I also hate humanoid Pokemon, and this one doesn't do anything but look derpy and bland all at the same time.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #288 on: March 26, 2018, 06:24:54 AM »
Azurill: Looks to be in pain, likely because its existence is misery. I dunno. Seriously, I actually can't be too mean here as nothing really offends me. It is a bit weird that its body is shaped to a point where its tail connects, but that's the only thing. 3/5

Nosepass: The magnetic arms are a cute touch, but I personally really hate this thing. The nose looks stupid. I mean, it isn't the worst idea and it carries though well, but really with that nose? Also the typing only being rock is a bit bothersome. I dunno, I really think it'd look better without the nose as a sort of golem thing. As is... 2/5.

Skitty: Oh Skitty. I love you. I just wish you looked a little less goofy. Color is pretty good, body is actually a really great minimalist quadraped, the ears are good, but the expression is good. The flat face is a demerit, the half-moon color break is eh (I wish it were a bit rougher, but I guess it partially conveys Moon Stone connection) and that tail is... a thing. Seriously, I dunno what that tail is. At all. Little rat tail condom balloon with pins things. The fuck? Still. 4/5

Delcatty: Worse than Skitty. Also seriously evolutions stop randomly changing colors for no discernable reason. The ears are kinda neat and the stupid pincushion thing looks better around its neck and the tail isn't as stupid anymore, but overall the extra body space just ends up looking a bit boring despite being another nice quadraped build. Also I guess the longer I stare at them, the face fluffs look really goofy, like its face is being pulled out. 3/5

Sableye: Severely underrated little gremlin. Good structure, creepy posture, the gems are nice ways to break up its body, and the little flares like its elbows and ears give it a good silhouette. Really excellent. 5/5

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #289 on: March 26, 2018, 05:22:13 PM »
1: The evolution randomly changing color palettes is something that's been bothering me a bunch too. Especially with Makuhita -> Hariyama. I keep thinking that Makuhita is just wearing some ridiculous yellow body stocking and when it evolves it unties the trash bag top to the mask and lets it fall down to become the skirt revealing the tan-grey actual skin of the 'mon's face underneath. It's the only thought that makes the Yellow Skin -> Tan Skin w/Yellow Clothes bit make sense!

2: Sableye getting a 5/5 is good and proper. Fantastic looking critter, kinda want to adapt it to be a DnD spook.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #290 on: March 27, 2018, 12:32:33 PM »
I read your comment and now I want Pokémon Drag Race in my life, Gate.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #291 on: March 28, 2018, 08:08:05 PM »
I like Skitty's tail because it looks like ... well... a cattail, the plant. And sort of combined with a cat toy.

It wouldn't work well on a real animal that has to move realistically. But in animation, the thin part of the tail can maintain that arc which keeps the whole silhouette looking very pleasant.

Hate Delcatty's ears. Not the worst evolution or anything, but just such a step down from Skitty.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #292 on: March 29, 2018, 02:42:33 AM »
I can sort of see the cattail connection, but eh. It just doesn't work great for me. It isn't the worst or anything, but it just doesn't end up appealing.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #293 on: April 10, 2018, 08:59:34 AM »
Mawile: Oh Mawile. I love you so much and you are super adorable and conceptually cool and I can just never quite square away your humanoid half with the rest of your design. I'm not sure what I'd want you to be otherwise, or even really what doesn't work about you (the coloration, while simple, is appealing and nicely distributed, the skirt/frayed pants gives some nice additional affectation). Maybe it is the beak? Or maybe it is just that the whole thing ends up looking really off-balance because one one side if a giant murder jaw and on the other side is a little goblin. Still, I like Mawile and think there's a lot of cool stuff here, I just can't justify giving it the score I wish I could. 4/5.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #294 on: April 13, 2018, 06:48:49 AM »
Aron: Seriously, the small body types with the stubby legs are super adorable in Pokemon. While his head being a fully enclosed metal thing is a bit weird, honestly, I don't have much to complain about here. I guess the Rock-type part doesn't come through well? But otherwise, he looks great and carries his theme well. Little armored critter. The pitting (spots? It is actually super hard to tell, but official art seems to put them as pitting) break up his bodly nicely and the belly segmentation is a bit more forgivable here given he looks armored. I guess maybe his legs would look a bit better if they were plated and not solid metal? 5/5

Lairon: I think the biggest issue here is that Lairon ends up feeling less armored than its predecessor, and that's a bit weird. I'd much rather have seen the steel plating down his side rather than the... bands holding his leg thingies on? I actually like his face profile, though I'm a bit undecided on the "beard." The leg rings are super weird though. Still, I like this guy. Landshark design follows nicely for grown-up Aron. 3/5

Aggron: And then you become Rhydon. Quadrapeds stop becoming bipeds. Aggron basically amplifies all my complaints about Lairon multi-fold. Less armor. More weird "straps." The tail, in particular, looks really stupid with the black rings on it. The horns look awkward coming out of the armor. Etc. I do think the metal jaw looks tight though. That's about the biggest saving grace here. 2/5
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 01:58:29 AM by AndrewRogue »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #295 on: April 14, 2018, 04:35:23 AM »
Meditite: Diaper-onion-monkey. I got nothing. I'm hard-pressed to defend why I don't hate this design as much as like, Mr. Mime or Magmar or Jynx or something. 2/5

Medicham: If it weren't for those stupid lips, I'd like this better than Meditite. Much like the flowing for Gardevoir works to be distinct from "clothing", Medicham's pants work well enough when combined with the head thing to just look like natural colorized bits of its body. And given its emphasis on kicks to a degree, it functions pretty well. The head halibut is a bit doofy though. And seriously, those lips are fucking awful. Also. Again. Color changes. Why? 2/5
« Last Edit: April 24, 2018, 07:27:20 PM by AndrewRogue »

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #296 on: April 17, 2018, 02:20:20 AM »
[21:00:41] <+RandomKesaranPasaran> i never feel like posting commentary in the thread for some reason
[21:01:10] <+WorkRogue> You should. People shittalking my opinions gives me the power to go on

[21:01:21] <+RandomKesaranPasaran> but i have to say medicham at 2/5 is way too high
[21:01:49] <+RandomKesaranPasaran> why the fuck does it have those stupid anything

Like seriously the complaint about Aggron's tail seems like peanuts compared to anything Medicham, remove anthro pokemon

e: I feel like I should go deeper here but look at that thing, how do you even get there from Meditite?  It looks two minor details away from being a really ugly bowling pin.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 02:42:23 AM by Random Consonant »

Captain K

• Ugly Old Man
  • Denizen
  • Saving the world with curry and coffee
    • View Profile
« Reply #297 on: April 19, 2018, 02:23:00 AM »
I think the pants are supposed to be poofy Arabic pants.  Making it some kind of dervish?  No idea what that has to do with psychic type or previous evolution.

Something like this?

https://wanderinginpixels.deviantart.com/art/dervish-371980483

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #298 on: April 19, 2018, 07:05:12 AM »
Electrike: His head is fucking stupid. The spikes on his ass are stupid too. Like, no matter what nice things I say about anything else on this design, it comes back to the fucking triple dildo head setup. 2/5

Manectric: His head and tail are all stupid, but for entirely different reasons. I think the stupid crooked tail actually offends me more here. Not that the head spikes don't look dumb, particularly with their ear holes. And honestly the color scheme just doesn't look good. Nor do the hip flares. Elerctrike at least sorta looked okay if you ignored the head dildos, but this thing is a mess everywhere. 2/5
« Last Edit: April 20, 2018, 06:28:23 AM by AndrewRogue »

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #299 on: April 19, 2018, 08:41:56 AM »
Manectric is my favorite terrible design in Pokemon.

Like, I love this dog, but everytime I look at him, I want to redraw him to look better.