Author Topic: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.  (Read 25250 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Good morning 2015: Creative topic title goes here.
« Reply #250 on: September 25, 2015, 02:31:27 AM »
So in Japan, I've been living in a pretty small little apartment that has been pretty great for just me, but after a year and a half, I'm noticing the limitations such a small space has for social endeavors.

But that's all changing, as I found a place that's twice the size and cheaper AND closer to the city center. Score! Party in Nagoya, guys!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: September 25, 2015, 03:13:44 AM »
I have recently moved into a new apartment and am finally living on my own.  Turning a 1 hour commute into 10-15 minutes a day makes a huge difference in, well, everything.  On top of just adding that much more time to the day, the effects it has on me psychologically cannot be emphasized enough.  Knowing I only have to drive 15 minutes to get home instead of an hour?  Well suddenly working later an extra hour doesn't seem so bad, nor do I have worry about beating traffic since it's mostly local roads home.

So yeah, life is looking good at the moment!

Congrats!  That makes such a huge difference.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: September 25, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
So I've had a headache that has lasted for about six weeks now. It came at the same time as the toothache pain and so I thought the wisdom teeth was a part of the problem, but the headache has persisted past the surgery. I saw my surgeon and they say that the sites are healing and that it's not that, so I saw a doctor and it has been a lot of back and forth with me waiting around to be seen. It could be a sinus thing, but I've been taking antibiotics for that and they're not helping, and I had a CT scan done and nothing structural is going on, eliminating something scary like brain cancer (phew). I'm seeing a neurologist next week and it's kind of weird because I don't know what this could be. They've brought up allergies but I've never had a rough time with them and the CT didn't find any issues with the sinuses. It may also be some kind of vascular thing. I'm not sure what they're going to find, but it's been really rough trying to work or do almost anything that requires concentrating while you have a headache that lasts this long. It's not even necessarily that painful, but the bad thing is that it's always there and will not abate. I've been taking ibuprofen but taking that for this long cannot be good for you.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: September 25, 2015, 07:17:16 PM »
TODAY I LEARNED:

It is possible to plug in and turn on an appliance and electrocute your feet through the floor.

TOMORROW I WILL LEARN:
The advantages of having a friend who is a certified electrician that will work on your house in exchange for food and watching his kids.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 07:19:18 PM by Veryslightlymad »

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: September 27, 2015, 09:57:40 AM »
Turns out it's just wired stupid and I can fix it myself with the breaker switched off. Also, I didn't shock my foot so much as I shocked my ENTIRE BODY and GROUNDED it out my foot, so that's cool, I guess. In the sense that I didn't die.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #255 on: September 27, 2015, 12:00:55 PM »
JFC VSM don't kill yourself.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #256 on: September 27, 2015, 06:32:58 PM »
Did you get superpowers? I'm told that these kinds of events usually lead to superpowers. You should test if you can fly or stop moving cars or something.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: September 27, 2015, 07:42:03 PM »
Stop trying to get VSM killed, dammit.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 01, 2015, 07:34:26 PM »
I'm going to Tokyo for a week in mid-October.

I am strangely nonplussed by this. On the one hand, I found out about this before my probationary period was over. Guess that means they're not firing me? On the other hand, I literally got the email about that trip during a phone call interview with a recruiter. Plus there's the whole hating everyone here thing going on.

So I'm not that excited for the trip despite how cool it is to get to go to Japan for the first time on the company dime. Maybe when it gets closer.

Finding this out necessitated finding my passport. I didn't. I was incredibly lucky that "passport day" (when they let anyone come into a passport agency and apply) was Saturday. Turns out expedite with a pick-up means you can apply on Saturday and pick up Tuesday afternoon. Who knew government could be so speedy?

Unfortunately, I am stuck with a godawful photo for the next ten years. My hair is still purple (more pink now) and my brown roots are growing out. Oh well.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

DragonKnight Zero

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 02, 2015, 01:45:13 AM »
I stand for "acknowledge whatever emotions are there without judgement."

Spending 40-50 hours a week with people I don't like for 6 months or more is too high a price for a week somewhere cool, all expenses paid.  Just my thoughts.  Being in a similar situation would suck out any enthusiasm I might have.

For something totally unrelated, I have several cosplay ideas yet for now, I don't feel called to act on any of them.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #260 on: October 02, 2015, 01:51:38 AM »

So I'm not that excited for the trip despite how cool it is to get to go to Japan for the first time on the company dime. Maybe when it gets closer.

Hey! I'll be in Tokyo myself during the weekend of the 10th/11th/12th (it's a holiday). Does that coincide with your trip?

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: October 02, 2015, 01:58:41 PM »
My grandmother is (mostly likely) dying.

Yesterday, my brother sent me a message saying that she choked and almost died and her heart stopped four times yesterday. She's been in the hospital for eight weeks over a surgery that the recovery time was supposed to be about three. About two weeks in, she choked on something and her lungs haven't really been working right since.

As I'm sure a great deal of you know, my relationship with my grandmother is very complicated and it's hard to say exactly how I am feeling right now. I've been mostly thinking about all the happy times we spent together, which makes me pretty damn depressed. I have to go to work in an hour, so I'm just going to try to swallow all my sadness for a while, but we'll see.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: October 02, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
My grandmother is (mostly likely) dying.

Yesterday, my brother sent me a message saying that she choked and almost died and her heart stopped four times yesterday. She's been in the hospital for eight weeks over a surgery that the recovery time was supposed to be about three. About two weeks in, she choked on something and her lungs haven't really been working right since.

As I'm sure a great deal of you know, my relationship with my grandmother is very complicated and it's hard to say exactly how I am feeling right now. I've been mostly thinking about all the happy times we spent together, which makes me pretty damn depressed. I have to go to work in an hour, so I'm just going to try to swallow all my sadness for a while, but we'll see.

Sorry to hear it. Throwing yourself into work is a nice distraction at least.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: October 02, 2015, 03:22:41 PM »
Yes, good or bad there was a relationship there that looks like it is going to change somehow.  Deal with your response however you can, whatever works is the right way of processing those emotions.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: October 04, 2015, 06:50:20 PM »
Damn haven't read this in ages. Sorry for all of you. Gourry any update?

In about 15 days I'll be getting my 7th apartment in 3 years. This lack of stability in housing is cool. I throw away /give all my stuff and have less and less items to move around everytime, and it feels better every time. I was the opposite about 3 years ago.

I'm already totally in love with one of my future roommates. This will be weird.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 10:27:21 PM by Fenrir »

Lady Door

• Coming up with words is, like...
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • ... really hard.
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: October 04, 2015, 08:39:45 PM »

Hey! I'll be in Tokyo myself during the weekend of the 10th/11th/12th (it's a holiday). Does that coincide with your trip?

Alas, no. 17-25.

--

Sorry to hear, Ciato. Complicated situation, complicated feelings. Ditto Grefter.
<Demedais> Humans look like cars to me.
<AndrewRogue> That must be confusing in parking lots

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: October 06, 2015, 12:40:33 AM »
Yeah, so I went to the neurologist and nothing structurally is wrong. I got prescribed some antidepressants (uh) that apparently are a common treatment for recurring tension headaches. It's a little frustrating because it seems to be treating a symptom and not the cause but no one really knows what the cause is. I'm generally a pretty happy person but this medication comes with mood swings (which I have not had so far), sleeping problems (the doctor told me to take it an hour before going to sleep, but I had insomnia for like five hours after taking it so I am just reacting differently to it), and one of the side effects is headaches! It hasn't really helped with the headaches and it's fucked up my sleep schedule so that is great. It's supposed to take about a week to start working but I'm a bit worried about any side effects, especially ones affecting behavior.

Veryslightlymad

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: October 06, 2015, 01:05:38 AM »
Do you wear glasses? Consider getting your eyes/glasses checked. Vision being off just a little bit, but not too much, will cause strain and headaches.

Is your base doctor an MD or DO? a DO can give you an adjustment like a Chiropractor. If you've got a misaligned disk in your neck, that could also cause tension headaches.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: October 06, 2015, 08:24:47 AM »
Now you know why you have headaches though.  It is your meds bro.

Work is stupid in new interesting ways every day.

Also had another discussion with people I have known for ages that act confused at first when I casually mention struggling a bit with depression.  Weird because it was in reference to a list of common signs of depression and it is like... Yes that is literally a check list of things you see me do and say every week.  Things I forget are apparently secrets because I broadcast them every day...
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Fenrir

• Denizen
  • Social Justice Archer
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: October 06, 2015, 09:49:39 AM »
jesus Gourry, hope it's temporary
I feel slightly worse about all the things I did when I played Big Pharma

Gref, don't forget that friends are living with their own mountains of problems and don't think about friends that much

The Duck

• Social Justice Duck
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #270 on: October 08, 2015, 07:04:08 PM »
Fen those people you killed for profit in Big Pharma are just data. Toby Fox is getting to you.

So far, this medication doesn't do anything for the headaches I already have but it has slightly decreased the frequency of them (I don't have a particularly strong one now for instance). On Monday, I had probably the worst headache I've ever had in my life, so I probably need to supplement this with ibuprofen or something when it gets that bad. I may look into a chiropractor or a massage (which I usually hate getting). I had my eyes checked two years ago with no change in prescription (which is weird because I am looking a a screen for most of the day in grad school). It may be worth getting checked again.

I've started taking the medication about five hours before going to bed, but it is not a particularly restful sleep. My brother, who is a doctor, says that it may take 2 weeks for it to be effective. I've had no moodswings, which is good.

Maybe I'll have to placebo effect my way into feeling better. I've always wondered whether knowledge of the placebo effect lowers the efficacy of the placebo effect.

InfinityDragon

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2015, 07:59:25 PM »
Greetings everyone!

So I popped in once about 2 years ago, said hey, and promptly disappeared.  Such was life, courtesy of the U.S. Air Force...let's see if I can do better this time!

A quick recap of the last...oh...seven or so years (I think I popped smoke around the summer of '08?  Time flies.):

Graduated law school in May '08 and took the bar that July.  In that time period, I was conditionally accepted in the U.S. Air Force JAG Corps (pending bar results and a medical exam).  After taking the bar is about when I disappeared and moved back to Illinois to wait out the inprocessing.  Bar results came out in Oct '08 (I passed, yay) and the Air Force was able to schedule my physical exam in...Feburary '09.  Took the physical, then went back to the waiting game.  Started doing construction work in March '09 to keep from going insane, and in June finally recieved word that my Officer Training date would be in August. 

Attended Commissioned Officer Training in August...in central Alabama :( (it was...sad...really, mostly a "here's how you wear your uniform and salute and not look like a clown" for lawyers and docs).  First assignment was to Wright-Patterson Air Force Base, near Dayton, Ohio.  Got to Ohio in September, then went back to Alabama for lawyer-specific training until December.  I spent the next two years living near Dayton, Ohio.  Most of the legal work I did involved addressing government ethics, client services and legal assistance (e.g. wills and powers of attorney for military members along with legal advice regarding areas like divorce or consumer affairs), and military personnel law (stuff like discharges for bad behavior).  Also got to try a few criminal cases (a coke user, a pot brownie eater, and some white-collar fraud).  During this time I also pretty much stopped with the video games and picked up board games instead; let's face it, board games look more awesome on a shelf! 

Around June of '11, my supervisor gave me the "good" news that she had two really great opportunies, and I could choose one.  I could either spend a year in Afghanistan doing government contract work, or I could spend a year in Afghanistan doing general legal practice work (and if I choose neither, I was still hot to deploy and would go to Afghanistan anyways and without any input into the office I'd end up in).  I chose the government contract option (turned out to be the perfect choice, I'd later find out!).  I spent the next 6 months training up, capped by a two week expeditionary course at Fort Dix-MacGuire, New Jersey...in early January :(

I started my deployment to United States Force-Afghanistan in late January '12.  Since mine was a year-long billet (most were 6 months), my duties evolved from contracts and fiscal law to...just about everything, since I had the continuity.  All said, I got to spend time in Doha, Qatar; Mazar-e Sharif, Afghanistan; and Kabul, Afghanistan (twice!).  Oh, and a two week paid vacation to Australia courtesy of the Army (awesome!) for spending a year in the suck.  In about December '12, I found out I wouldn't be returning to Ohio; rather, I was being assigned to Ramstein Air Base, Germany as a "reward" for deploying.

Finished up my time in the Middle East, returned to the states for two weeks to outprocess, then flew to Germany in Feb '13.  Ramstein is anything but a reward.  Living in Europe was fantastic, but the workload is crushing (take 18 year olds away from home for the first time, who are legally allowed to drink copious amounts of cheap wine and beer, and you have a recipe for disaster).  Legal work there started with doing discharges, and later working as the General Law division chief when our GS-14 senior civilian attorney quit.  At least I had the chance to visit parts of Germany, France, Austria, Hungary, Poland, and the U.K.!

Ended up deciding to separate from the Air Force in the later summer of '14.  I had been holding out for a chance at being selected to go back to school for an LLM in International Law, but they decided to instead give that school slot to someone who never deployed, had never been overseas, and had never worked with another government agency (let alone a foreign agency).  That was all the incentive I had to get out.  Finished out my service in October.  For one last hurrah, I stayed in Europe and went to Athens, Greece in November and ran the 'original' Athens Marathon (from Marathon to Athens).

From December '14 until about May '15 was spent doing the job search (grad school courtesy the G.I. Bill was also on the table, if the job search had failed).  Initially, I had good prospects for a GS-14 attorney position with the Federal Transit Authority in Chicago, IL, but that didn't pan out when they indicated they wanted the attorney to also have environmental litigation experience (would have been nice to have known that before they called me in for the second-round interview!).  In May, I went to our family vacation home in Door County, WI to work as the night manager for a local hotel.  Finally, in June the U.S. Army called about a position at White Sands Missile Range, NM I had applied to in February and interviewed for in May.  The position I applied to was for client services, but they also had an unexpected opening for a contracts attorney position they needed to fill and I had the requisite contracts experience for it (yay for that time doing contracts in Afghanistan!).  I accepted that job offer and was given a start date of 13 July 2015. 

So, in July I moved to Las Cruces (back to my old stomping grounds of NM!) and started a GS-13 (roughly equivalent to a senior associate attorney or junior partner position at a law firm) contracts attorney position.  Did some house hunting and just closed on a nice home that was intended to be a vacation home, but was never actually used.  Perfect.  So here I am today. 

That should about catch me up on 7 years of absenteeism!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 08:01:54 PM by InfinityDragon »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #272 on: October 08, 2015, 11:28:39 PM »
That sounds really awesome. Glad you got a pretty good law job and that you have enjoyed things.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Magetastica

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #273 on: October 09, 2015, 02:48:20 AM »
That is a whole lot of suck, and I'm really sorry things have been going so poorly for y'all. :( (Well, except InfinityDragon. Congrats!)

I suppose things have actually been happening in my life, too.

Around the start of September I was scheduled to fill in for my boss after a bunch of hostile takeover shit and crazy OT hours and new stores and a metric shitload of new hires left the management deciding they wanted to have their yearly conference early... because reasons...

While there, there was a mandatory dance, wherein they hired a bunch of professional dancers to encourage people to dance. While dancing, one of them kicked her right in the back of her leg, and fully ruptured her achilles tendon. She continued to walk around as per normal for the next 36 hours and wait until she was back home before going to the hospital, and... well... let's just say she showed up briefly once to make the new September schedule and hasn't been back in the store since. As such, my 1-week pseudo-manager status went to until-further-notice Acting Manager status, and I've been running the store since the start of September.

They have finally decided to get a temporary manager to fill the role, effective next week, but I'm going to get proper training on how to be an Assistant Manager since my store is almost guaranteed to earn enough before the end of the year to get one, and I am (unless something really weird happens) first in line to fill the position! So I am likely to be an official Assistant Store Manager by my birthday in February! Which is exciting!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #274 on: October 09, 2015, 03:54:27 AM »
ID: grats on having a job and a house.  While you were gone I graduated law school (class of 2012) passed the bar (NY and MA) had a job for a year with a horrifically unprofessional solo practitioner in Long Island, then started working for a federal tax credit syndicator in Boston, learning from lawyers who actually know what they are doing.  Anyway I truly appreciated your words of encouragement back when I was about to enter law school - coincidentally about the last time you were on the boards - so I thought I'd let you know I made it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!