Author Topic: Best Scenes, Round Two Pool 3- Have at you!  (Read 1802 times)

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
Best Scenes, Round Two Pool 3- Have at you!
« on: October 03, 2010, 10:35:04 PM »
DRAMA:
Millenia's speech re: Eye of Valmar (Grandia II)- |||| vs. Kato Owns Nicholai (Shadow Hearts 2)- |||
Killer/Lady scene, pre-final dungeon (Shadow Hearts 3)- || vs. Virgil's Exit (Xenosaga 3)- ||||

STYLE:
Opening (Left 4 Dead)- ||| vs. Asellus Mystic Ending (SaGa Frontier)- ||| (Screwed the rules.  She has green hair, so the motion was passed.)
Miror B Fights (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness)- || vs. Rofel and Dycedarg chat villainous things (Final Fantasy Tactics)- |||| ||

HUMOR:
Joachim/Ana spying on Yuri/Karin (Shadow Hearts 2)- |||| | vs. Bar Fight (Dragon Quest VIII)- |
Ryudo Mocks Selene (Grandia II)- ||| vs. Lily Character Quest 3  (Mana Khemia 2)- |||| |

"YO WRONGNESS!"
Serph rips Vritra a new one (Digital Devil Saga 2)- || vs. CHRONO CROSS PLOT!!! (Chrono Cross)- ||||

Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVeQFU1XPIs&feature=related) vs Epilogue (FFT) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVt-RPdkJOw#t=5m58s)
Finding Elina (BoFIV) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IWdxvrdW7QI&feature=related#t=1m18s ) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mZIOL8_6f8&feature=related )

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A6uURkIeNk#t=8m40s) vs Opera (FF6) (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgZXiHfNt0M)
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDRDwdB50-8#t=4m8s  Until 5:35) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4rjTYHD330 )

Humor

*Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2)  ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZsHIAoTgZM )
 Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) (  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QES2fX4S_5U#t=5m45s ) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E_T9SVDqJPI&feature=related#t=5m38s )

I will...VOTE YOU, I will...WRONG YOU!

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoWWCtACy-w ) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) ( TEXT ONLY: http://www.serenesforest.net/fe8/script_18a.html )

*Split into two videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0NpFPf6kbms#t=2m5s  and  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RDuRMBpcmJw&feature=related

Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT)
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II)

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6)
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3)
Humor

*Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2)
 Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII)

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)

Closes one week hence.
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Dhyerwolf

• Denizen
  • Here it comes, the story, of mankind's final glory
    • View Profile
Re: Best Scenes, Round Two Pool 3- Have at you!
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2010, 11:09:02 PM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT)- Good match, don't mind who wins either way.
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II)- This one isn't particularly close to me. A highlight of Yuna's bastarddom+tying up the motviation for several characters

Style

Humor
*Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2)- Easy
Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII)- I guess. Neither of these are great to me.

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)
...into the nightfall.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 02:30:54 AM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT) - The reason that I originally played FFT was because the hype from this scene. And it was the only scene that felt like it lived up to FFT's hype, despite already knowing it was coming, so it gets my vote.
Finding Elina (BoFIV) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II) - Best scene in BoF4 beats out 'good, but not the best' of S2.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6) - Good match, but I even after all these years, I still genuinely and unironically love the Opera scene.
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3) - No vote.

Humor

Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2) - Wedding gets awesome points for random living Cake and Booster's general weirdness, but MAN FESTIVAL speaks to a generation of Yaoi fangirls (and playfully mocks them).
Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII) - Even the worst of SN humor beats the best of FF7 humor, no contest.

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - Sexier, Absurd-ier, Lesbian-er. Well, I guess you could argue that Lyon is a woman....

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 02:37:51 AM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT) - Axe to the face
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II) - Really feels stronger, just looking at it at base value with no context.  Two people teaming up, old friends, on opposite sides, to avenge a fallen comrade vs. finding something's happened to a princess that we haven't known much about the game...bleh.  Way stronger writing helps S2 in context.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6) - Boom, baby
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3) - Awwwwww...man.  I love #1, but I nommed (and love) #2.  Well...we'll go with the less cliched speech with less ugly Yuna?  Damn...

Humor

Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2) - Hotter
Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII) - Hotter

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) - Hotter
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 03:24:54 AM »
Drama

Style

Humor

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)- Fits the real spirit of the category.

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2010, 08:19:22 AM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT) - I like the epilogue, but it's, well...  It lacks resolution.  The fact that Ramza's ending isn't confirmed drains it of its full power in contrasting the two heros, and so it relies primarily on the ending of Delita's arc.  Meanwhile, Roy's Death Scene is arguably also the end of his arc, but it also adds to several characters, including a bit for the Prince, and that addition pushes this over the top.
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II) - What OK said.  I mean, sure Yuna is a far more effective bastard than Gordo, but he's not that much greater of one.  At this point, Gordo's been pulling dick moves left, right and centre, and to not only see him pay for it, but to have the two leaders set aside destiny in the middle of a battlefield so that they can curbstomp him.  Wonderful.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6) - Very close, but...  well...  it's a well executed bad end.
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3) - A bit choppy, but a good capstone moment.
Humor

Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII) - I don't know why Square decided to drop the humour from their games (at least until Crisis Core came along) but the dry wit paired with the absurd that they used in 7 and 8 helps make this scene awesome.

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2010, 03:10:37 PM »
Drama

Style

Humor

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2010, 05:17:48 PM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT)- Roy's death scene is pretty great.
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II)- In spite of not liking any of the characters in this scene, it's one of my favorites from S2.  Or what OK/Excal said.

Style

Humor

Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad)
vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII)

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)- The back rub scene alone insured FFX-2 would need hellfire.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2010, 11:16:32 PM »
Drama

Style

Humor

alanna82

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2010, 07:45:33 PM »
Finding Elina (BoFIV)vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II)- Finding Elina is the most messed up thing ever.

Style

Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3)- abstain
Humor

*Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2)- Man festival scares me. Having Mario kiss Bowser is funny.
 Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII)- Cloud in drag

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones)- This is the only thing I remember from FFX-2. LOL it was funny.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2010, 08:56:09 PM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT): Capping off Delita is just much more effective than capping off Roy. I do like both, but yeah.
Finding Elina (BoFIV) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II): Finding Elina is one of the most powerful scenes in any RPG to me. What Dhyer said, ties up several character arcs, confirms Yuna as a grade A jerk, and in general is just a gut punch - THIS is your reward for the quest the main characters have been on for 90% of the game? Very bittersweet. Gorudo scene amounts to "youse gonna die now bitch" and Gorudo is such a bastard that this is a lot of fun, but it's just not in the same tier.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6): Meh to both.
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3): The other is better than I'd expect for BLIZZARD PLOT but the former is a lot of fun and a nice energy release after one of the game's darkest scenes.

Humor

Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2): Man Festival humour never caught me at all. On the other hand, Booster's irreverent and ignorant comments make for some pretty fine comedy.
 Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII): Eh.

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones): blah blah blah someone making a logical error born out of emotion isn't unreasonable blah blah, thus voting for the one I actually find wrong.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2010, 09:40:34 PM »
Drama

Finding Elina (BoFIV) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II)

Style

Humor

I'm still not sure what we're supposed to vote on in this category. The one we like more? Or the one we like less? The one that's more wrong? Eh, whatever. Leblanc scene is entertaining enough in it's wrongness to beat out generic stupidity in trainwreck factor, so I'll vote for that.
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2010, 06:31:22 PM »
Drama

Roy's death scene (Suikoden 5) vs Epilogue (FFT)- Not close. Roy isn't an effective enough character to have the final oomph to make the scene great. Epilogue on the other hand is the perfect capstone to Delita's character arc, and the main reason I like the character so much. (You all fail.)
Finding Elina (BoFIV) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II): Why the fuck would you judge a scene without context? Drama is all about context. Without dramatic buildup, very few drama scenes are effective.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6): Opera is pretty meh.
Now is the time! (Final Fantasy X) vs  Succeeding you, father! (Warcraft 3)

Humor

Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2)

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones): Eirika's "logical error" is less forgivable when she's been told before the scene not to do the exact thing she does! You don't get to brush it off as logical error when you were forewarned about the damn thing. With that said, Leblanc Back Rub scene is way more awesome in every way.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2010, 06:35:03 PM by Ciato »
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2010, 07:09:55 PM »
Drama

Finding Elina (BoFIV) vs Jowy and Riou team up one last time (Suikoden II) - See NEB.

Style

World Destroyer Orsted (Live-a-Live) vs Opera (FF6) - *checks Orsted scene* "This video has been removed by user."  Well fuck.

Humor

Wedding (SMRPG) vs The MAN FESTIVAL (SH2) - Hilarity.
Stupid Cow (Soul Nomad) vs Corneo's Mansion (FFVII) - Doesn't rely on someone's intelligence being in the negatives to be amusing.

Leblanc's Back Rub (Final Fantasy X-2) vs Eirika gives Lyon the Stone (Fire Emblem: The Sacred Stones) -
Eirika's "logical error" is less forgivable when she's been told before the scene not to do the exact thing she does! You don't get to brush it off as logical error when you were forewarned about the damn thing

This.  However, all I needed to see of the other one was the satisfaction meter to go yeah this is a thing alright.

Cmdr_King

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »
If it makes you feel better Ciato, I voted against Elina because of context.

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2010, 09:04:55 PM »
If it makes you feel better Ciato, I voted against Elina because of context.

Well, it's okay to disagree with me (even if everyone who voted for Roy is a failure at life) but I think voting OOC misses the point!
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2010, 11:02:50 PM »
Based on context (if it wasn't clear), I still prefer the latter scene. 

Mostly just speaking in my vote that, looking at it without context, it still is better.
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory