imageRegister

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253953 times)

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1250 on: February 15, 2010, 10:01:22 PM »
I personally enjoyed the first half of the original FMA series.  There was a bit of filler, but at least the filler episodes helped you get a better feel of the characters.  I can't think of any episodes where they pulled a Bleach type filler that added absolutely zero to story/character development/etc. 

I figured things would start getting a bit different with the changes to the Humongulus (Wrath and Sloth bigtime obviously) and those issues.  Although not a fan of how they dealt with Greed.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: February 15, 2010, 10:43:59 PM »
Utena - Well this is certainly a thing. Currently enjoying the EotW-pimpmobile antics.

That sequence never stops being hilarious to me. Sexamaphone.

So awesome.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: February 15, 2010, 11:12:42 PM »
Except that I do, in fact, find most of the first half of FMA to be bad. From after the Alchemist's exam to Maes Hughes leaving, it's just... not good. Fillery, pointless and unentertaining. The first ep of Brotherhood was also bad. It suffered from the same exact flaws that the first half of the first anime had, except even moreso. Honestly, if RANDOM CHIBI is supposed to be funny, then I'm fine with not having a sense of humor.

The animation wasn't even as top notch as people said it was and it was just a wankfest of fanservice instead of a solid first episode.

My point was that I hate when people say that something takes so and so amount of episodes to get good and still try and call it a good show. I misunderstood you slightly, but it still does apply to FMA as a whole. It's why the first series is a 7/10 for me instead of much higher. The second half was at least a 9/10. If the first episode of Brotherhood is representative of the whole, pacing and humorwise, then it really puts me off watching the rest.

Ah, I see. For the record, the first episode is almost completely unrelated to the plot and the only reason it was added in was to give the series a first episode that was not in the original anime(and thus, manga, since the beginning of the original anime followed the manga to an extent). It really is just an excuse to have all the characters do cameos. The issue with the rest of the pacing until it cools off in the 20s is the opposite of "fillery" - the series up to then is hypercondensed plot, which while making every episode very important plotwise throws the atmosphere off.

Utena - Well, finished. Pimpmobile is still the best part. With the Rose Bride resigning from her position, the world's shell will be smashed and everyone enjoys a nice omelette will be free from Akio's influence and be able to face the real world? That is how I like choosing to interpret it anyway, and is the only way that makes the student council placing their trust in Utena make any kind of sense, though they were slightly misguided in that it was ultimately Anthy, not Utena, who had the power to steer the world away from its eternal cycle. I don't get where Mikage and the Black Rose arc and the phone call to Akio afterwards fit in any of this though, which is funny because it seemed fairly obvious to me by the time of that arc's ending. Argh.

I enjoyed the cast and their deep-rooted fucked-upness in general. The highlight was definitely Touga though, he is so utterly over the top it's amazing, also is clearly an utterly terrible person but never quite crosses the line into irredeemability. Though he just -loves- toying with it. He seemed to learn the full truth of the situation during his time offscreen, and decided to futilely try to stop Utena from falling victim to Akio's plotting in his own inexplicably shirtless way. Well, of course his list of hobbies like hitting on everything that moves, kangaroo boxing, knife throwing, dramatic monologues, photoshoots, bedside dialogues and riding the pimpmobile took priority, but he just wouldn't be Touga without that.

The cast was great, the audiovisual stylish insanity added a lot to the intrigue of the show, and the blatant overuse of reused sequences didn't bother me one bit because all of them were fantastic (Exception to the rule: Black Rose arc's generic duels were a chore). In fact I missed the student council speech until it made its triumphant comeback near the end. >_> There were slow bits(Nanami filler recap episode? are you serious), though, and...I'm of the opinion when you build a huge elaborate plot, there needs to be a proper payoff. Given the show had given focus to a whole lot of people other than the mains - Utena was out of focus for an entire ARC during the Black Rose thing, for one - the ending just glossing over the academy as a whole didn't really sit well with me. There is such a thing as too much ambiguity. Overall, definitely one of the more memorable shows I've watched, and worth a 9.

Flowervision forever.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:29 AM »
Ah, I see. For the record, the first episode is almost completely unrelated to the plot and the only reason it was added in was to give the series a first episode that was not in the original anime(and thus, manga, since the beginning of the original anime followed the manga to an extent). It really is just an excuse to have all the characters do cameos. The issue with the rest of the pacing until it cools off in the 20s is the opposite of "fillery" - the series up to then is hypercondensed plot, which while making every episode very important plotwise throws the atmosphere off.

I know that about the first episode. I said I hoped it wasn't representative pacing and humor-wise, not plotwise. Breakneck plot can be just as bad as lame filler.

As for establishment episodes, there's nothing wrong with them persay, but FMA's particular brand of them was terrible. A series that DID make them work was Trigun.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: February 16, 2010, 12:16:51 AM »
Utena - Well, finished.

The Utena Movie may or may not answer your concerns about the meaning of the academy and what happens to Utena after the series ends.  It can certainly be taken as a true sequel to the series, and I view it that way.  The movie seems a lot like what happens when you play an adventure game for the second time and already know the answers to all the puzzles.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 12:18:54 AM by NotMiki »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: February 16, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Utena - Well, finished.

The Utena Movie may or may not answer your concerns about the meaning of the academy and what happens to Utena after the series ends.  It can certainly be taken as a true sequel to the series, and I view it that way.  The movie seems a lot like what happens when you play an adventure game for the second time and already know the answers to all the puzzles.

Watched the movie, and I view it as a simplified (yes - the Initial D mixed with hard drugs highly symbolic visuals actually help here) version of the main plot points of the series, ignoring a few red herrings thrown around. The Black Rose arc and other things that bugged me in the actual series make sense in the context of the Ohtori Academy being less of an actual place and more a symbol of escapism from reality.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: February 16, 2010, 08:53:02 PM »
Cool.  I always viewed it as a sequel because Anthy takes so much initiative that it seems to me she's returned from god-knows-where to pull Utena out with her.

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: February 17, 2010, 12:18:41 PM »
Watching the 2009 season of The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

I liked Endless 8. Yeah, I fuckin' said it.

After this.... I dunno what's next.

I'm thinking I want some painfully melodramatic School Days type thing, preferably if it similarly takes a horrendous dark turn.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: February 17, 2010, 01:28:36 PM »
Gundam 00 Volume 4 -

The plot managed to progress this volume! The Thrones showed up. We also got some vague hints about conspiratorial things which the characters probably won't get for some time if ever. Setsuna only did one thoroughly stupid thing.

RahXephon, the comic -

Well. It's similar to the show. I guess on the plus side there don't appear to be any of the bizarrely related character things going on that were supposedly in the show/movie that I never got the impression of. There was also no overly obtuse 'wrestling' segment, which is actually somewhat of a surprise considering the comic's propensity to remove clothes from characters at any available oppurtunity. On the minus side, there was no real analogue to Episode 19. The section which deals with essentially the same subject matter has the characters know exactly what is happening and the reader has no sympathy for the focus character at all. Further, the what I shall call 'missing relationship' from the show has been excised from the comic which is somewhat depressing, although I do like what it was replaced with in the ending. I think I probably approve of the ending in general as on the whole it is far more understandable than I remember the ending of the show/movie being >_>

Veryslightlymad

• CONCEPTUALIZATION [Challenging: Success]
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Shitposts are a type of art for webforums
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: February 19, 2010, 04:42:23 PM »
I asked around about another saccharine sweet high school drama that wasn't what it seemed, and someone recommended "Myself; Yourself"

I watched the whole thing. I have... some things to say about it.

First off, holy hell! No one is allowed to be happy ever. What the Christ.

Secondly, my biggest problem with the show:

It's a show where VERY MUCH is made about certain character's hair colors and eye colors, and yet the two romantic leads have really disturbingly similar features in that regard. Given how I called most of the plotlines in the story, (I wish I could be impressed with myself, but it was more the show being none-too-subtle) I really expected another twist of the knife with that being brought up.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: February 19, 2010, 05:07:30 PM »
Manga

Hunter x Hunter: Man, Netero. Man.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: February 19, 2010, 09:36:05 PM »

So good.  Wish this comic came out, like, ever.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1262 on: February 19, 2010, 09:39:38 PM »

So good.  Wish this comic came out, like, ever.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: February 22, 2010, 07:26:09 AM »
Like, seriously, HxH?  makes the psychological interplay between allies a lot of fun.  Most shonen manga it boils down to our guys fightin' their guys, but HxH really hammers home that everyone's an individual with their own perceptions, worldview, and agenda.  I particularly enjoy the 3 ant bodyguards cautiously feeling each other out in a volatile situation.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1264 on: February 22, 2010, 08:31:54 AM »
Finally watched another anime. This time Baccano! at Soppy's suggestion. Good stuff, the disjointed chronology storytelling was pretty good at keeping the breakneck pace. I ended up watching the whole 13-episode series in one sitting without realizing it. Good stuff.

Isaac and Miria were fun and infectious enough that I found myself not caring how their scenes always seemed completely out of place in the series. It was more like 'Oh yay, more Isaac and Miria antics!'.

The lack of a central main character was another high point of the series and I found myself loving the villains just as much as 'heroes', however one would define those. Add in the attention to detail that went into making this a period piece in the American 1930s and you have a great little series. I think Ladd Russo, the sociopathic mafia assassin with an obsession with killing people who feel safe, ended up being my favorite character.

He does so remind me of the DL. ^_^

Watching the short OVA of this next, and then I'm gonna try out Durara or whatever it's called by this same writer/animation team.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: February 24, 2010, 10:56:55 AM »
Negima: Badass.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1266 on: February 24, 2010, 10:00:13 PM »
Negima: Badass.

Indeed. Nodoka is everything Hinata wishes she was and isn't.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1267 on: February 25, 2010, 04:00:55 AM »
FMA Brotherhood-  A lot deeper in and I must say I like this quite a bit now.  Whoever said this gets better after 20 episodes was spot on. 

The completely different premise of the original still works well, possibly because they have such a badass cast of main characters that and semblance of a plot would work.  On episode 44 now and curious to see how they do things with Hawkeye/Mustang, Greed v2.0, and of course Ed/Al/Winry.  (I know it's all been decided, but I have no clue.)  Those 3 things will no doubt decide what I think of this when I'm done.  To a lesser extent I'm curious to see if they'll go much into the Xing stuff.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: February 25, 2010, 06:38:46 PM »
Gundam Unicorn 1 - Blahblahblah Newtypes Blahblahblah Zeon remnants Blahblahblah 100 year old documents HOLY SHIT YOU ARE SEXY GIANT ROBOTS. Seriously, Banagher is a bit of a spaz and the plot doesn't seem like anything terribly new (though inoffensive), but it's perfectly alright to just watch this for the battles. Kshatriya running around killing everything with funnel rape is glorious, and Unicorn is a sexy beast.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1269 on: February 26, 2010, 12:39:34 AM »
I was talking to one of my Elementary students about Gundam U yesterday.

Because I've seen some of Wing and SEED and was able to drop a few character/mecha names, he now thinks I am a paragon of wisdom on the Gundam series. His favorite thing to ask about is how much I liked so-and-so in Gundam 00, which I know nothing about.

One of the teachers who was listening in asked if Gundam 00 was good, and he enthusiastically replied yes. I asked him which Gundam was on now, and he told me Gundam U. When I asked if it was good, he was like "well... you don't... I can't really recommend it."

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: February 26, 2010, 12:53:58 AM »
Manga

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: February 26, 2010, 02:32:04 AM »
I was talking to one of my Elementary students about Gundam U yesterday.

Because I've seen some of Wing and SEED and was able to drop a few character/mecha names, he now thinks I am a paragon of wisdom on the Gundam series. His favorite thing to ask about is how much I liked so-and-so in Gundam 00, which I know nothing about.

One of the teachers who was listening in asked if Gundam 00 was good, and he enthusiastically replied yes. I asked him which Gundam was on now, and he told me Gundam U. When I asked if it was good, he was like "well... you don't... I can't really recommend it."

Different taste is different taste. Though it helps a bit to know a little Universal Century lore, especially when it comes to Newtypes because the main character's spazziness is related to Newtype shenanigans.

Lots of technical detail and not any real fanservice either, though a girl eating a hotdog has already been shooped by people.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: February 26, 2010, 07:12:26 AM »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: February 28, 2010, 01:44:03 AM »
GaoGaiGar -

Starts off well, with the whole Zonders amplifying peoples' negative emotions and being cast in images meaningful to them thing they had going on, even if they did not focus on the human aspect as much as I would have personally preferred. Then they seem to forget the later bit as the show goes on. Then in the second half they effectively throw the whole lot out, with 70% of the villains being warm bodies and the rest having no connection whatsoever to their hosts. The show does not tell us anything about these hosts (Intestine nonwithstanding) and after being reverted it just dumps them... and I don't remember the major one ever being reverted, which is kind of off. Not as much as the ending however where everyone is all happy that The Carpenters (sadly, not the band) can fix the city, completely ignoring all the presumable deaths that were caused by destruction. Or is the show trying to say that while there were a bunch of schoolchildren left the entire rest of the area was abandoned? I don't remember any evidence of that.

The show does a pretty good job of introducing something new each episode, although it peters out after a while as one would expect. I particularly liked the use of the Dividing Driver to deal with the property damage question. Of course, later on they start to ignore this issue. They also do things like introduce the Gatling Driver, where unlike the introduction of the Dividing Driver there is no explanation given as to what it actually is supposed to be for doing.

In general I enjoyed it. The first half was better than the second half, but they did do some new things in the second half that I found entertaining. All up, it was really still stock, but I was not expecting anything transcendent.

GaoGaiGar FINAL -

Bizarrely, GGGFGGG doesn't appear to have any full sets of subs, although I didn't mount an extensive search. Which is a shame as in theory it should have been a better version than this. Ah well.

Sadly, this followed its cues more from the second half of the series than the first half. Mostly in the sense of amount of villains with no characterisation, but to be fair unlike the villains from GGG 2nd half that we can safely assume had character to begin with we can't strictly assume that about these ones because one of the ones we do see a fair amount of doesn't appear to have any. Although the rest of the ones we see a fair amount of do...

There are far, far too many apparent-death situations.

The Genesic Gaomachines make no sense whatsoever. How convenient that they were doing effectively the right thing with Galeon all along, despite the fact that from memory they said in the series that they had made extensive modifications to Galeon in order to use it the way they were. I also don't care for the design of GGGG. I don't care too much for the design of GFG either to be honest, but it's superior to GGGG.

It's decent, but a bit worse than the series.

Shale

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: March 01, 2010, 06:27:59 AM »
I assumed the modifications were so it would play nice with their jury-rigged combiner parts instead of just standing there unable to use its new arms and legs.

Also, IIRC Anime in Action (the team that subbed the TV series when got its original popularity spike in the US) did the full run of the OAV too.
"Sufficiently advanced magic is indistinguishable from technology."
-Ponder Stibbons

[23:02] <Veryslightlymad> CK dreams about me starring in porno?
[23:02] <CmdrKing> Pretty sure.