Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253932 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #875 on: May 22, 2009, 03:54:49 AM »
Obviously, he wants to watch DBZ, specifically the planet Namek arc.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #876 on: May 22, 2009, 04:12:26 AM »
After watching the first ep of the new Haruhi...

Meh. Kyon sounds about 20 years older and wooden as hell. Seems to have lost that enthusiasm for the role. Honestly, everyone seems to have. It was like they were going through the motions. I'd blame the director. Either that or I just don't care about Haruhi anymore.

Some of the music was eeriely reminiscent of the piece Urusei Yatsura used to use during it's surreal moments. Cool that. ED song was boring. Needed to be more Daughter of 20 Faces ED Aya Hirano and not generic j-pop Hirano, but the animation was sorta neat.

Yakumo

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #877 on: May 22, 2009, 04:23:05 AM »
Tears to Tiara is based off a mediocre visual novel, don't expect much out of it.  It's a Leaf game, but it's nowhere near as good as Utawarerumono.  Not to mention it rips off old European history and legends for pretty much it's entire story. 

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #878 on: May 22, 2009, 05:06:57 AM »
After watching the first ep of the new Haruhi...

Meh. Kyon sounds about 20 years older and wooden as hell. Seems to have lost that enthusiasm for the role. Honestly, everyone seems to have. It was like they were going through the motions. I'd blame the director. Either that or I just don't care about Haruhi anymore.

Some of the music was eeriely reminiscent of the piece Urusei Yatsura used to use during it's surreal moments. Cool that. ED song was boring. Needed to be more Daughter of 20 Faces ED Aya Hirano and not generic j-pop Hirano, but the animation was sorta neat.

Kyon definately sounded off to me, but the rest of the cast felt fine to me.

Haruhi's never been anything more than solid but unspectacular on the entertainment front for me, and this episode wasn't much different. Not much I really feel like commenting on, although Adult Mikuru was more manipulative than I expected.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #879 on: May 22, 2009, 05:12:41 AM »
Yet another reason why Adult Mikuru is my favorite female in the show.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #880 on: May 22, 2009, 05:49:07 AM »
Obviously, he wants to watch DBZ, specifically the planet Namek arc.

That fits under 2/3 of my criteria!!!!  But DBZ ranks up there with Inuyasha and a dead snail in terms of pace.  Read or Die seems like it's worth checking out though.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #881 on: May 22, 2009, 06:46:43 AM »
Black Lagoon?

Seconding this recommendation once again.

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #882 on: May 23, 2009, 07:18:14 AM »
So I stopped checking Negima on a weekly basis when the Negi/Rakan fight started dragging on for chapter after chapter, but after these spoiler images it has my full attention once again.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #883 on: May 23, 2009, 07:52:51 AM »
Nine chapters is a dragging on and on to you?

hinode

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #884 on: May 23, 2009, 09:41:23 PM »

Considering the plot came to a screeching halt for the entire duration of the fight, yes. The tournament was a sidebar to the developing storylines involving Fate, Asuna, Ala Rubra backstory, and Yue, all of which had been ramping up before the Negi/Rakan fight and we got nothing out of any of them for nearly 3 months, factoring in Akamatsu's breaks.

I don't care for the pacing of bog standard Shonen Jump-style series and don't follow any of them, if that's what you were insinuating.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #885 on: May 23, 2009, 10:46:37 PM »

Considering the plot came to a screeching halt for the entire duration of the fight, yes. The tournament was a sidebar to the developing storylines involving Fate, Asuna, Ala Rubra backstory, and Yue, all of which had been ramping up before the Negi/Rakan fight and we got nothing out of any of them for nearly 3 months, factoring in Akamatsu's breaks.

I don't care for the pacing of bog standard Shonen Jump-style series and don't follow any of them, if that's what you were insinuating.

The fight was still better than 90% of shounen fights. Pretty damn awesome if you ask me. It's not like Negima does that constantly, so it wasn't that bad. Heck, even with Negi's training arc with Rakan he managed to keep things moving.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #886 on: May 24, 2009, 01:54:01 PM »

Nine chapters isn't a drag for you?  Assuming one chapter a week that is 2 months worth of shit.  Seriously?  Fuck that.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #887 on: May 24, 2009, 07:27:59 PM »
Read or Die OVA- 2 episodes in.  This is really creepy because it's giving me serious DejaVu.  Everything seems familiar, but I also know I've never watched this...  After each episode I was thinking that it was vaguely familiar and that I'd probably recognize the show later on, but yeah... I dunno... weird!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #888 on: May 24, 2009, 11:56:18 PM »

Nine chapters isn't a drag for you?  Assuming one chapter a week that is 2 months worth of shit.  Seriously?  Fuck that.

It wasn't shit I think is the point. But it's not like you even notice if you read 9 chapters all at once.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #889 on: May 25, 2009, 04:35:15 AM »
Well considering this was hinode talking about keeping up with it week to week, that is very noticeable.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #890 on: May 27, 2009, 03:40:08 AM »
Manga time!

One Piece: Continues to be awesome. Shit is going down. I sense epic confrontation this week.

Bleach: Released Barry is awesome. I can only hope Hitsugaya beats Harribel for epic rage on forums.

Yu-Gi-Oh: Started reading for kicks. The first six volumes are hilarious shit that can be basically summed up as a series of "Evil guy does something to piss of Yugi, Yami Yugi emerges and challenges him to ridiculous game and, after inevitably winning, crushes his opponent's mind, subjecting them to horrifying illusions for an indeterminate period of time." Also, Yami Yugi's hax are even more awesome than expected. The best moment, thus far, was when he played a game where he rolled a die. If his opponent rolled equal to or lower, they won. Yugi rolls a six. Guy declares he won, but Yugi forces him to roll anyway. So that guy hurls the sumbitch at Yugi. The die deflects off the Puzzle and breaks in half, with both the 6 and the 1 landing up. Therefore, he rolled a 7.

The Monster World story arc deserves special mention, because Yami Bakura is the most awesome GM ever. And because, once again, YGO proves that all games should be won by cheating. Suffice to say, the finale involves dice exploding because of magical powers and discounting the roll as a result.

The Duelist story arc is coming along. I enjoy it primarily for two reasons: absolute bollocks for rules and Pegasus being an awesome villain.

Pokemon Special: Deserves a post all its own. I'll handle that later, though.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #891 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:18 AM »
Pokemon Special. Spoilers follow.

TL;DR Version: Although there are a lot of major flaws, the treatment on the whole is probably the best that the series has gotten and, if you're a fan who wants a different look at things, it really is worth a glance.

Red/Blue/Green: Bears most of the burden of world building and does some very good things with it and does some very bad things with it. I generally like the treatment of pokemon training/raising/etc and find the addition of the danger to be a fun and worthwhile addition. The concept of trainers getting down and dirty and having to duke it out point blank is pretty fun. The gestures towards both the anime and the games themselves are fairly cute and, although a lot of them lean towards feeling tacked on, they end up being real fun. Stuff like trade evolutions, in-game references, etc all play out really well.

The cast is fairly solid all around. There isn't a huge amount of depth to anyone, but that's not really what we're looking for here either. There is defintiely enough to allow for some interest in the characters to develop, and the interactions often prove enjoyable. It really helps that Red is fairly charming (unlike his predecessor in Ash). Team Rocket proves to be quite fun as a competent and threatening set of villains, with Giovanni capping it off as an utter badass. The actual plotlines here are a bit muddled, but they generally work out in the end.

I found the fights to be rather enjoyable, involving enough clever tactics and odd stuff to keep you wondering how it was going to go down. Once again, it really was quite the clever choice to have trainers be actively involved in the fights. It is silly stuff, but things like Giovanni's style of releasing his pokemon by kicking the balls just add some fun, over the top action that really benefits the series on the whole.

Where R/B/G really drops the ball is in the world building, though. Considering the importance of gym leaders and the focus on the Pokemon League at the end, the lack of any real explanation as to how they function in the world (as well as how Sabrina, Koga, Surge and Giovanni can go completely rogue without any fallout) leaves an unsatisfying taste in my mouth. I struggle to come up with a real satisfactory answer to a lot of world building questions, and it bugs me. I realize the "Its pokemon, whatever" argument could apply here, but it doesn't change bad storytelling. The world structure really should have been better addressed, dammit. Besides, it would be interesting to see handled well, you know? Unfortunately, this is really only going to get aggravated as the series continues, it seems.

Also, props to managing to stuff most of the pokemon in without it feeling overly forced.

Yellow: One thing I'll give this entire series credit for is using its cast well. Yellow was a cute addition after having a "cameo" back in R/B/G.

Anyhow, this arc felt a lot stronger than R/B/G in general. The villains are better defined and don't raise so many questions if you're willing to overlook differences from the source material. They also, in general, manage to come off as a lot more threatening than Team Rocket. Lance in particular screamed "I am bad-ass, hear me roar!" The Elite 4 also has the advantage of having a much better defined (and respectable) evil plan. Besides, its been a while since eco-terrorism was used as a main plot.

The build up was really hit or miss. Yellow occasionally came off as rather "holier than thou art" but worked as the really kind and nice protagonist type. Bill's screentime was also well used. The city attacks by the E4 were prolly the biggest drag. Potential for really great fights, but the gym leaders on the whole kinda jobbed to the whole deal. It was a real letdown, to be frank. The main cast/team rocket team-ups, on the other hand, were great fun. Silly fights with silly arenas with silly conditions is fantastic and pretty much serves as a highlight of a lot of the things I feel the series does right.

And in retrospect, this bears in R/B/G as well, but Mewtwo is bad-ass.

G/S/C, Ru/Sa, FR/LG and Emerald will be dealt with later.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #892 on: May 27, 2009, 04:22:53 PM »
Inspired to mention manga then.

Mobile Suit Gundam: Ecole du Ciel, up through Vol. 8 (all that my library has >_>) - So, it starts off a little ways before Zeta takes place. Mikimoto character designs (I like), main character is female (Tomino want). Asuna's a bit whiny early on, but she gets things done.

Anyways, starts off in mobile suit academy, lots of shoujo elements, humorous school life things. First volume is basically this with some mobile suits (headless training GM!) thrown in to remind you that it's Gundam. Bear with it though and you start getting into the real meat of the story, as plots involving the Titans' hunt for Newtype pilots, Zeon's past hunts for the same, and what it all means for the characters involved. I bet you can already guess one of the big 'spoilers' in it.

Of course, the Titans are bad, so Asuna eventually ends up with other groups as the story progresses, characters meeting a traditional UC Gundam fate as things go along. Asuna has grown up nicely so far; where she started as a sometimes perky sometimes weepy teenager with no confidence, now she's... a mostly perky, rarely weepy teenager who can kick ass and knows it. I mean, she draws against freaking Jack the Halloween (lol UC Gundam nerdiness) in an inferior mobile suit, and pulls some pretty crazy stunts, without her character being drastically shifted - all the changes come slowly and pretty purposefully.

Aside from that, the supporting cast is charming, with lots of likable characters, though the focus is really strongly on Asuna and her main rival (who pretty much disappears during the second story arc, only to come back in dramatic fashion in the third - vol. 8 starts that off). The mobile suit designs are top notch, with the older designs very recognizable and the few new designs being pretty damn cool - the notes on the Gundam Asuna gets (in vol. 9 D:) point out how it really stands out from the pack, designed by Sayama from Patlabor, Rahxephon, and Birdy the Mighty Decode. The action scenes can get a little muddled on the smaller panels, but the major battles get some good scenes drawn for them that give you a good sense of the action.

Wouldn't recommend it to non-Gundam fans, but it's a good character centric UC side-story so far. I think Vol. 9 is the last one to get an official translation, so I'll be looking for fan translations from vol. 10 on - I've heard that it's planned to go 14 volumes in total.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #893 on: May 31, 2009, 04:48:56 AM »
Appleseed (2004):

Well, it's pretty. Not hyper-CG like Ex Machina or Vexille, I want to say it's more along the lines of Tales of Symphonia (the game)'s style? But with superior quality. In any case I like it.

Can't say the story is that great. Not having read the comics I have no legs to stand on when it comes to this, but I prefer the 1988 movie and Ex Machina where Deunan isn't speshul. There aren't really any elements of mystery to the storyline either (well, there wasn't any in 1988 either to be fair). Decent all up.

Gundam SEED Destiny & GSD Final Plus:

I dunno, but I found it thoroughly entertaining. Easily superior to the original SEED and every other Gundam series/miniseries I've seen the entirity of.

In fact the only thing I can think of to complain about offhand is lack of closure, a problem which is partially ameliorated by Final Plus (and is pretty much the only thing Final Plus is good for, for that matter...).

Idun

« Reply #894 on: June 11, 2009, 04:50:12 PM »
Caught up on Bleach Tuesday. Depressed at how Ikkaku's battle went, since it wasn't magnificent. Depressed at seeing Kira and his lame ass bitchy story with Gin. Seriously, I'm fucking tired of Kira. I think I have as much hate for him as I do with Orihime. What impressed me these last few episodes? Ehhhhh. The animation is getting better.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #895 on: June 11, 2009, 06:44:07 PM »
Witch Hunter Robin: Mediocrity. It was vaguely diverting early on when it was just episodic hunting, but never managed to evolve beyond that. The central plot is rehashed Uncanny X-Men material and the writers failed to make me care about anyone in the cast (Amon is totally a Marty Stu for goths). Bleh. I need to watch less crappy anime.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #896 on: June 11, 2009, 08:03:24 PM »
Witch Hunter Robin: Mediocrity. It was vaguely diverting early on when it was just episodic hunting, but never managed to evolve beyond that. The central plot is rehashed Uncanny X-Men material and the writers failed to make me care about anyone in the cast (Amon is totally a Marty Stu for goths). Bleh. I need to watch less crappy anime.

Totally. I liked the relationship between Michael and Robin, since it was a dynamic you don't see evolve very often. Buuuuut since it's Japan, the show devolved into LOOOOOOOOLAMON.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #897 on: June 21, 2009, 05:09:13 AM »
Akagi - cool show, ugly noses.  really needed an ending, though.

Kamichu! - if you think Cardcaptor Sakura and the like are cool, but they just have way too much going on, this is the show for you.  I swear to god, nothing happens in the whole series.  One episode is dedicated to the main character spending an entire day without getting out from under a kotatsu (actually, that was kinda cool).

Tenamonya Voyagers - if you're thinking to yourself, "gee, I wish there was a space show like Cowboy Bebop but with no boys or plot," have I got a show for you.  4 episode OVA, but it really feels like they wanted to make a full series, canceled it, and decided to distribute what they'd already done.  Neat atmosphere, but that's all there is to it.

Angel's Egg - If I recall correctly, Yoshitaka Amano said of Angel's Egg that it was, in a nutshell, something he and Mamoru Oshii had to get off their chests.    That's about as good an explanation as you're gonna get.  Cool movie, filled to the brim with atmospheric foreboding, high on symbolism, low on dialog.  The art, direction, and music work fantastically well together.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #898 on: June 21, 2009, 05:11:55 AM »
Up through Ep. 23 of Nanoha StrikerS. Still no A's, but must say that Teana has kind of shown up the rest of the rookies pretty badly.

Oh, and needs more Signum, but that can be said of the series in general.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Bardiche

« Reply #899 on: June 21, 2009, 03:19:29 PM »
Watched Lovely Complex in the span of five days. I always used to think nothing could rival KareKano, glad to have been proven wrong. Haven't laughed that much in ages, so I felt really happy!

Sadly it's ended now, and rewatching it just won't be the same. Ah, the bane of all fun things... ending.

-----

FFFFFFFFFFFFF @ Eden of the East.