Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253859 times)

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #550 on: January 08, 2009, 01:38:07 PM »
People watch Code Geass because we need to have one way of determining whether or not the person dies when the great human culling begins.

Well damn, does just watching the whole thing qualify you?

Also, as mentioned in chat, Turn A Gundam. Up through episode 14. Non depressed Tomino at his best. Mecha designs... I'd hated the still images for a lot of them, but they're actually really fun to see in action, and a lot of the mobile suits aren't traditional humanoid machines, like the Kapool and WaDOM.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #551 on: January 08, 2009, 02:27:45 PM »
Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann - Awesome. Probably the best mecha anime I've ever seen? The series avoids a lot of cliches simply by moving at an exceedingly rapid pace. When it introduces an obvious Chekhov's Gun, instead of spending 3 episodes to reveal its purpose, the series tends to just pick it up right then and there and fire it, cutting out all the needless "I know what's going to happen already"-style suspense I'm so used to seeing in Mecha shows. Also, "Libera me" from Hell is a cool piece of background music. LordGenome somehow ended up as my favorite character.

Code Geass - Watched some of this simply due to all the anti-hype and I wanted to know why it was so easy to make fun of and universally-hated. While it certainly wasn't helped by the fact that I finished Gurren Lagann in the same day that I started this one, the series doesn't have a lot going for it. The series seems to be an entirely derivative concept based on the idea of "Hey, you know what's popular lately? Gundam SEED... and DeathNote! And hey, CLAMP seems to be doing alright for themselves, too!" So you have Gundam SEED, only replace Kira Yamato with Kira-Light, and sprinkle liberally with CLAMP character designs and themes. For all that it's derivative, though, it's not "the worst series EVAR" like I was led to believe. I even found Kallen to be a solid character out of hordes of cardboard stock characters floating around. The biggest complaints that I can see levelled at it are the horrible twists involving Geass and Euphie near the end of the series... and the lack of an ending.

The nicest thing I can say about it is that it made me want to get some Pizza Hut pizza.

-Djinn

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #552 on: January 08, 2009, 04:14:59 PM »
Now go watch R2 Djinn. Of course, keep in mind that Taniguchi ended up having to rewrite the second season after already having it pretty planned out from what I hear. It's not... quite... Destiny level deterioration, but it takes a bit of a nosedive overall.

Yes, Code Geass is very much exploitation of what's popular. It's Sunrise trying to make something that's popular without having to flood the market with plastic models right off the bat (they did later anyways).

TTGL is very very fun though. The pace is exactly what Super Robot shows should have (unless it's Big O), and it definitely pays its dues to its predecessors (no, they did not come up with manly super robot drills).

It takes a lot more than CC to make me want Pizza Hut pizza, by the by. Like having my meal paid for by someone else.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #553 on: January 08, 2009, 06:18:34 PM »
It takes a lot more than CC to make me want Pizza Hut pizza, by the by. Like having my meal paid for by someone else.

With the quality of pizza places around me, I'd have to be eating it off CC's naked body to actually want Pizza Hut. Woo northeast pizzarias!

EDIT: If I'd known it would be sigged, I'da left off the Woo. Kinda kills it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2009, 06:51:29 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Bardiche

« Reply #554 on: January 10, 2009, 01:53:00 AM »
Alpha Gaiden inspired me to watch Gundam X.

... also all the hype of Garrod x Tiffa romance. Tiffa, Tifa, like hell do I care what her name's spelled, she looks absolutely Ugly Doll.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #555 on: January 10, 2009, 09:53:11 PM »
Chrome Shell Legios- ......WHAT THE MOTHER FUCKING GOD THEY HAVE DONE TO THIS!!! UGHHHHHH!!!! *STAB

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #556 on: January 10, 2009, 11:28:25 PM »
Chrome Shell Legios- ......WHAT THE MOTHER FUCKING GOD THEY HAVE DONE TO THIS!!! UGHHHHHH!!!! *STAB

And I was planning on following it!?  Oh man....

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #557 on: January 11, 2009, 04:08:26 AM »
Serious, I am shocked this thing is still called Legios.
Most things got retconned in silly ways.
Then Reyphon's personality got swaped, and Feris is just out of character so bad.
I mean... "びーして びーして びーしてやる " THAT came out of Feris's mouth. I can no longer believe she is still the same person.

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #558 on: January 13, 2009, 05:38:20 AM »
Black Lagoon - Currently watching this and made it to episode 12. Stylish and violent and reminds me a bit of Cowboy Bebop's format without all the good music. So far my opinion is that it is Cowboy Bebop -2. Which is still pretty watchable!

If it developes an actual story that actually incorporates some of the random episodic stuff from the first half of the season, it could well be a good show. As is... style and violence can only get you so far...

-Djinn

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #559 on: January 13, 2009, 09:04:05 AM »
Than go read the manga than.
The only thing the anime does better is that we can hear Balalaika's voice.
The manga is gloomier, far more chaotic, and more focused.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #560 on: January 14, 2009, 08:59:17 AM »
Batman TAS With Giant Robots - Bought both seasons of this a while back, starting to watch it now.  One episode down and I am pleased with my purchase becuase it is Batman TAS With Giant Robots.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #561 on: January 14, 2009, 09:02:21 AM »
Exactly what is it that you're watching?

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #562 on: January 14, 2009, 10:23:22 AM »
I assume it's Big O?  If it's not, it SHOULD be.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #563 on: January 14, 2009, 10:38:11 AM »
Ah, silly me. I guess I just wasn't thinking hard enough >_>;

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #564 on: January 14, 2009, 01:13:17 PM »
It is indeed Big O, because it is Batman with giant robots.

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #565 on: January 15, 2009, 11:59:49 PM »
I can't believe I'm making myself watch Trinity Blood.  The first episode was okay, but it's only downhill from there.  It feels so...generic.  The last episode I saw was 14, which was two weeks ago.  I feel like I should finish it because I'm more than halfway through the show.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #566 on: January 16, 2009, 01:16:23 AM »
I can't believe I'm making myself watch Trinity Blood.  The first episode was okay, but it's only downhill from there.  It feels so...generic.  The last episode I saw was 14, which was two weeks ago.  I feel like I should finish it because I'm more than halfway through the show.

Stop.  Now.  also, when you eat a meal and you're full and there's food on your plate, don't eat it.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

WanderingMind

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #567 on: January 16, 2009, 01:44:47 AM »

Stop.  Now.  also, when you eat a meal and you're full and there's food on your plate, don't eat it.

Good thinking.  I'm going to watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC instead.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #568 on: January 16, 2009, 01:47:38 AM »

Good thinking.  I'm going to watch Ghost in the Shell: SAC instead.

Double Victory!
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

DjinnAndTonic

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #569 on: January 16, 2009, 05:43:36 AM »
Black Lagoon - Finished this. The over-arching plot that I really wanted to see never happened... But if you look at it merely as its parts, the individual barely-connected plot arcs are all pretty stylish and good. I initially wrote off Revy as a crap character, but she surprised me in the last two arcs. She went from a completely one-dimensional violent psycho to an almost Mal-from-Firefly-like violent psycho who didn't like it when people tried to hurt her toys, I mean crewmates. The change happened subtly and made good use of Revy's interactions with the other psychos she regularly interacts with. Also, my predictions for Rock (who I expected to become a complete badass) were completely wrong, but somehow he still managed to be a compelling character. I might be off in my view here, but it seemed like he spent the whole series as someone who knew how to manipulate people (especially the psycho criminals he seems to hang out with). The problem with this view is that the series never really confirms whether the nonsense emotional appeals he's always shouting at the psychos who are trying to kill him are spouted merely for the purpose of getting Rock's ass out of the fire or whether he's sincerely wrapped up in these kinds of beliefs. He must partially believe them, but the other characters (who aren't suckered in by his appeals) tend to regard him as 'dangerous' in a non-violent way. So he could be a genius with balls of steel... or a total idiot who gets lucky enough to spout the particular emotional appeal that will press the buttons of whatever psycho has their eye on him this week. The only other major character besides those two was Balalaika, who was quite possibly the best part of the entire show and the closest thing to an 'overarching plot' the series had. Sufficiently creepier than Revy, she had a icily kind demeanor that seemed unflappable. Of course, Rock is the only one who ever shakes her, which was a pretty cool scene in itself.

My biggest complaint is the lack of closure. The series ends the same way the first episode does, which is always a little disappointing for me. Also, I really want to know what happened to all the lovable psychos who popped up in a few of the arcs. The last time we hear from any of them is in the counterfeit arc...

How does it compare to the manga, for those who've experienced both?

-Djinn

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #570 on: January 16, 2009, 08:22:02 AM »
Eerily coincidentally I had just rewatched the first season of Big O recently. I bought an actual copy some time ago and threw out my acquired copy, and I was starting to get jack of it lying around on my desk. Of course I can't put it away now that I've watched it because I currently have the shelf blocked off anyway...
Better than I remember, mainly because my memory was being all 'THAT IS SO WORSE THAN YOU SCORED IT AS' and it turned out to fairly well match up with what I had scored it, so it was just my memory having it in for me again. Got Season 2 to rewatch at some point as well but I think I'll put it off for a now as I seem to remember it being somewhat of a drop from season 1 in terms of quality and I will never learn to mistrust my memory.

Acquired and watched Gunbuster. Now this is a show that can take time dilation and do somewhat interesting things with it despite it not even being the point </inflammatory>
Some of the ways in which it was used seem to have been pulled out of the writers' behinds, but it could also probably just be that I have very little idea what I'm talking about.
Decent enough show in general. Final episode gets a bit weird in the middle and the very ending is highly stupid though. 90 degree personality shifts are not the most welcome things either.
Tashiro was far more personable than I had envisaged him being from Alpha which was quite saddening.

Somewhat lucky that I had started rewatching Mazzy given the recent news. It lets me remind myself how ripped off Mazinger Z's been in terms of SRWs.
Going by CJC/SRW's FAQ, Mazzy's been in 21 out of the 25 general SRW games. In all those appearances, only THIRTEEN enemies from the show have shown up! There are over 90 freaking things to choose from and they keep using the same damned enemies over and over and the Salude has never shown up as far as I can tell and they stopped putting Brocken in and I don't think that Pigman has ever shown up either and if they don't take this opportunity to do something god damned different with it I am going to be riiiiiiiiiiiled.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: January 16, 2009, 08:36:33 AM »
>>Rock shakes Balalaika in the anime???
This is why anime be DANMED!!!

As for manga, Rock is well, your typical guy who eventually assimilate into that world of psychos in his own way, as he lacks the violent prowess the other has. And he eventually comprehends how moral or common sense is useless in that world. But yet, he still act like the good old man he is, just because he feels like it. And this is what got him off the hook from Balalaika once, because it ultimately proved they are the same type of people. Though, he is also starting to lose it, but in his own way too. How do I put it, he is starting to take pleasure in making people to play along with his goody goody ways. In the psycho maid arc 2, he is actually having fun in figuring out ways to get Garcia unharmed out of this.

As for Revy, she is much more straightforward despite how she behave on the surface. She is just trying to live, just being a cracked up psycho is the only way she had learned how to live. Her back story is not fully explained, but we can be sure she is caught deep into some dirty US politic in the past. She is, I am not sure understanding is the right word, but is very tolerant to Rock's way and know what merit he has and where he is coming from, but still never really agreed with him.

As for Balalaika... she is just a woman who never recovered from the post war traumatic syndrome and still wants war every day and night. But she is good at it and no one can stop her.

The manga's plot is pretty episodic like the anime does, with "there are evil US politics going on" hints from time to time and I can see the CIA nun eventually raise as a boss character of sort. But the manga still mainly digs on the characters and their philosophies. Meh, I'll just say read the Japan arc and psycho Maid arc 2, you'll get a pretty clear idea on what the manga is trying to do.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: January 16, 2009, 08:52:56 AM »
Make sure you get and watch Gun Buster 2 sometime Twil, it pulls the whole thing together quite well, although yes the Gainaxing is a bit tiresome.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: January 16, 2009, 09:08:31 AM »
You have no heart or soul if you think Welcome Home is a bad ending.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: January 16, 2009, 10:09:10 AM »
It really is only maximised with Gun Buster 2.  The Time Dilation stuff being played with was far better.