Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253624 times)

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #2000 on: April 13, 2014, 01:02:43 AM »
Mekakushity Actors- ....I want to punch both SHAFT and Jin in the face. One for making the show into Monogatari series, another for opening the show with Artificial Enemy.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2001 on: April 27, 2014, 09:50:12 AM »
Chihayafuru S1 - watched through

It was pretty entertaining, but this was also back in January/February so I don't remember anything specific I might have wanted to say.

Siren recentlyish announced that they'd picked up the rights to S2 so that's something to look forward to.

Revolutionary Girl Utena - watched through

Also pretty entertaining. Fairly confusing on top of that.

Typically whenever I finish a series/game/etc I meander over and look it up on TVTropes, so some things were explained there. I gather that everything else is mostly going to be things I wouldn't understand correctly anyway (e.g. things done for symbolic purposes).

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2002 on: April 29, 2014, 01:39:47 PM »
Sword Art Online:

ARRRRRRRGH! Soppy I hate you. You warned me back in ep 5 when things still looked promising, and I thought "well, I'll at least finish the first arc."

Overally assessment of the first arc is still ".hack/slash but with more transparent motives and mechanics". And also a let down of an otherwise promising romantic arc. Seriously, I generally don't give a fuck about romance plots, but Kirito and Asuna were doing fine and then it looked like the show was going to do something tasteful with their hook up, and then Love Hina'd out. God, that was the last straw. Done with this.

The Heathcliff and Kirito fight was awesome though.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2003 on: April 29, 2014, 06:58:48 PM »
Yes, yes, FUCK YOU SOPPY WHY DIDN'T I LISTEN TO YOU IT'S YOUR FAULT I DIDN'T

Gleam Eyes is just as good, and the General Eugene fight in the second arc is as well. Man, you didn't even get to the really terrible stuff. Where exactly did you stop?

SAO Abridged is 100x better than the show. Stick with that.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #2004 on: May 09, 2014, 04:35:46 AM »
Z/X Ignition: Based on the Nippon Ichi - made TCG. This should be terrible. *reads a summary* Huh, sounds intriguing actually.

Overall assessment: How do you take a premise as cool as "One day, five portals to five other worlds suddenly open up across the globe and giant monsters, mutants, and technological abominations pour out and lay waste to humanity in a global battle for control; only big twist: the five worlds are actually five parallel futures branching off from this one point in time and they are each battling to ensure their future happens." and turn it into boring ass slice-of-life almost-harem anime?

At least the card game is fun...

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #2005 on: May 09, 2014, 05:20:40 AM »
five portals to five other worlds suddenly open up across the globe and giant monsters, mutants, and technological abominations pour out and lay waste to humanity in a global battle for control; only big twist: the five worlds are actually five parallel futures branching off from this one point in time and they are each battling to ensure their future happens.

HOW DO YOU FUCK THAT UP
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2006 on: May 09, 2014, 05:46:16 AM »
Probably with a penis.  It works most of the time.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #2007 on: May 12, 2014, 04:25:33 AM »
So, I've been watching TV lately.  This includes a bunch of anime, specifically, a whole shwack of UC Gundam and checking out Linebarrels of Iron.

In fact, since I watched them at about the same time, I'm probably going to contrast and compare Linebarrels and Double Zeta on account of finding being pretty opposite in terms of enjoyment.

Specifically, I really enjoyed watching the first few episodes of Linebarrel.  I mean, the first episode sets it up as a wish fulfillment anime of the worst kind, and then it just subverts that premise beautifully.  Showing the kind of horrid mess that would happen if most people who are repressed like that were given a stupendously badass giant robot they could control with their mind.  And also, if they got super strong and effectively immortal as part of the bargain.

The problem comes when, after they go through the first arc and the horrible shit that is all the main character's fault happens, and it goes back to being...  a wish fulfillment anime.  There's toying with character development, but the ending is just horrific.  Having a climactic showdown with the Rival who is winning because he's good at fighting ends when a) the Rival holds back, and b) Linebarrel just gets arbitrarily more powerful.  And this is a trend, the main character never improves, when he's in danger of losing he just gets more powerful.  Then there's the final battle, where the bad guys make an impassioned plea for the good guys to surrender because their world view is totally logical and inevitable and better and they don't want to kill people on the way to that end.  And they make a pretty decent argument for why they're right.  And then the main character gives a reply that can be summarized as "You're wrong cause you think too much!  And I fight because I look fucking awesome!"  Cue the entire cast, which had been wavering in the face of an unwinnable fight and had been listening in having their own chance to say, in their own words, "Damn!  I'd been having doubts, but being reminded that you DO look fucking awesome has made me want to fight again!"

Sooooo, yeah.  Fucking Terrible.

Double Zeta on the other hand, started pretty bad, what with the whole kids performing humourous hijinks, except in your traditional Gundam military setting where it'd normally get them shot for insubordination.  Or, y'know, treason.  Especially with the mood whiplash of starting this shortly after finishing Zeta Gundam, which is kinda fitting since the series starts just a few days after Z Gundam ends.  That said, once the main character starts getting serious about things, and we move away from Masshima and Chara as antagonists and get back to Haman and the actual Neo-Zeon war, it improves pretty quickly.  And while there's still some bad episodes (the desert arc is just, ugh), once you actually hit Dakar it's mostly solid.  A few too many beats from Zeta at the end, but otherwise, it's a good solid ending.  And this also has a point where one of the bad guys (not the primary villain, though Haman and Judau also talk often enough) gets into that same motivational speech, and Judau actually has a pretty decent answer, which was especially nice after Linebarrel.

So, yeah, finished Zeta which was pretty gripping the whole way through.  I can see why it's generally considered one of the best Gundam series.  There's a few flaws (Katz and Reccoa are pretty uniformly horrible), but I also really enjoyed some members of the cast; Emma Sheen probably being my favourite character in the whole thing.

Also followed up the end of ZZ by watching Char's Counterattack.  Quess is pretty horrible, though between being a teenager with horrible parents and getting Cyber Newtype treatments halfway through the movie I'm not sure she really had any hope of not being horrible.  Chan is probably my favourite of the new characters, and I liked the arc with her and Amuro.  The ending was also pretty cool, and a nice capstone for a story arc that's basically been around since the start of Mobile Suit Gundam.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #2008 on: July 18, 2014, 08:19:13 AM »
Persona 4 The Golden - Everyone, watch this thing now. I mean, NAO!! This is the most hilarious new game+ I have seen. From the ridiculously tweaked Izanagi to how Narukami made a fool out of himself while trying to do as much commun event as possible. This, this just too good.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2009 on: July 19, 2014, 07:08:22 AM »
Persona 4 The Golden - Everyone, watch this thing now. I mean, NAO!! This is the most hilarious new game+ I have seen. From the ridiculously tweaked Izanagi to how Narukami made a fool out of himself while trying to do as much commun event as possible. This, this just too good.

I enjoyed the NG+ stuff in the first ep, but I couldn't even make it through the second. Marie is just a terrible character and ruins the group dynamic. Plus they're focusing the stuff they added to Golden that wasn't very good... (not that the stuff that they added that was good would make a full show...)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2010 on: July 19, 2014, 08:53:31 AM »
They could have done a Beck parody with the new content.  Tied it in to Persona Q.  Fucking get with it Atlus.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2011 on: August 11, 2014, 06:10:49 AM »
Captain Harlock, the 2013 movie - It's very pretty.  And stylish.  There's one plot element that's even fairly decently handled if hammy.  But...   ack.  Plot that makes no sense in too many areas.  Weak ending.  I haven't seen the original series at all so this is judging entirely on its own merits, although I get the impression from Wikipedia that the movie is kind of its own thing anyway.

The bigger issue is this: Okay, villainous Harlock is fine.  Neat, even.  However, they clearly had some dispute / confused writing, because the script backs off from its own premise.  I presume that the studio wouldn't let the writers pull a Mission Impossible the movie deal where Jim Phelps, hero of the TV series, was a psychotic villain; but they kind of needed to.  Harlock is a psychotic mass murderer who scorched the Earth for really awful reasons, and now wants to DESTROY THE UNIVERSE.  That's the villain!  Or, at least, be the classic redemption-seeking type who's trying to fix his mistakes, which I suppose ending the universe is in its own way...  except he gets redemption by finding out that he didn't TOTALLY wipe out the Earth.  Through no effort of his own.  wat.  He still killed everyone though and caused a mega-disaster!  It also made no sense as to why the Gaia Communion covered up this particular plot twist.  They want to preserve the Earth and unite everyone under their rule.  Well...  tell everyone what happened!  Pretty sure no one will want to go to Earth and Harlock will get no sympathy, yet inexplicably they want first to say Earth is fine but don't go there anyway, then try and ineffectively blow up Earth?  yeah whatever.

Also this is super-common but as usual people with faces survive getting shot all the time, but dudes in suits can die and who cares.  Also Harlock really obviously needed to die at the end for Logan's new role to make sense, and death would be its own form of redemption, but they wimp out.  Lame.  Just make this movie Space Pirate Logan and how he took on both the Government & a crazed evil Captain Harlock with the power of botany, they'd have had a better movie.  They could even have appeased fans of the original series by claiming new Captain Harlock is the good guy or something.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2012 on: August 24, 2014, 08:22:33 AM »
Tiger & Bunny - watched through

It was enjoyable, but it was long enough ago that I can't remember anything I might have wanted to say about it.

Uzumaki - read through

Fairly enthralling. A tad annoying that it seems to take so long for Kirie to buy into the theory that supernaturalness is going on.

Gundam Unicorn V7 - watched

Not really a fan, far too much newtype garbage going on. Good to have a conclusion to the story, but I dunno whether it really makes up for it. Unicorn's shields are pretty awesome, don't remember whether they showed up before now or not.

Niji

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2013 on: August 24, 2014, 09:31:55 AM »
Mahou Koukou no Rettousei
Pretty much just fapping to the intellectually stimulating conversation. A nice technomage type anime.

Hunter x Hunter
Oh man almost the final episode time! The killua/alkulla arc is my favorite because sooo much Hisoka!

Sailor Moon Crystal
It's sooooo bad! But so was the first one for quite a few first season episodes. Ami awesome as always still!

Eureka Seven AO
Rewatched this. The entire first 23 episodes are pretty much just getting you to the point that yes AO's only purpose in existing was to break the curse on original universe Eureka and Renton.
Truth still insanely awesome and easily the best character since he's the only other one to "survive" the messing with time with AO. Their whole bromance was pretty rad too. Based on the lines in Ao's eyes he has 10-20 years left at the moment he jumps out of the nirvash mk2

Justice League & Captain Planet all seasons
Lots of marathoning of these two the past two months. Really dark they both are.

Jojo's Bizzare Adventure: Stardust Crusaders
Soooooo much slower than the manga, Jojo and duo are rad but most of these side characters are so terrible. However the occasional woman that shows up is so damn evil and malevolent and violent that they put the rest of the villainous cast to shame, which is really great to see, usually anime will not portray women so viciously. Over all a very progressive show, and somehow they avoid most any bromance this season. It's about MEN being MANLY by the way.
2D/2.5D RPGs, Platformers, Action-RPGs, Brawlers are my bag! Minor Video Game knowledge outside of those!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2014 on: September 21, 2014, 04:07:34 AM »
TOA - finished; also watched The Final Chapter; also watched Always My Darling

The series ran along as it had been, having spots of terrible episodes and spots of great episodes. The worst episodes in recent memory - setting aside ones featuring Asuka or the fox for being foregone conclusions - would probably be the one with the cursed frog and the one where Onsen is planning to leave the school, because stories about Ataru being ultra-possessive of Lum were always dumb and terrible and because it just reminded me of a similar episode from back when Onsen wasn't as much of a punching bag, respectively. On the flip side, the episodes regarding Lum and Ataru trying to draw good fortunes, regarding the gang being secretly used as pieces in a Mendou family board game, regarding the patron saint of studying, and regarding the 'passion pills' are all great, with the lattermost being the clear standout for Best Episode In Episodes ~175-195.

The penultimate episode is proof that the people who voted clearly had little to no taste, 'After You've Gone' was just as mediocre as it was the first time I saw it. Arguably worse because of the drop in quality of the animation (not to say that every late episode had better, the episodes which were bad in general tended to also have strangely slapdash animation. Nothing on the level of http://twilkitri.fewiki.net/stuff/bestanimationever1.jpg , mind).

The final episode wasn't particularly good, sadly. Literally half the episode is just people receiving invitations, the other half is pretty run-of-the-mill except with lots of characters drawn in. Oh well.

The Final Chapter was pretty good, looking past the forced-marriage stuff. Always My Darling was not. Keeping in mind that it's been several centuries since I saw the other four movies, I'd peg The Final Chapter as second-best and Always My Darling as worst.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2015 on: September 21, 2014, 05:07:01 AM »
Mostly agreed, Twil. Although I actually like the fox because I like Shinobu, and giving her some focus is almost always a good time. The later episodes by the second director are hit or miss. The good ones are fewer and far between than the bads compared to the first... not quite half, but maybe 4/10ths? directed by Mamoru Oshii. He had a real eye for comedy that mixed well with his penchant for the surreal. The second movie is the highlight of that. You can also kinda see where Patlabor 2 and Ghost in the Shell come from with episodes like the Miss Tomobiki Pageant. Although I would have to say the best episode of his run is Who Killed Cock Robin?, which is basically one of the first takes on And Then There Were None in anime. Really good times, so many good characters in the show.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2016 on: October 04, 2014, 02:13:22 AM »
Layzner - watched through; also watched Seal 2000

The first half is annoyingly repetitive, with the gang constantly getting surprised that military forces they expect to save them want to kill/capture Eiji, then getting surprised when Grados machines wipe out said forces with ease.

I wasn't expecting the change leading into the second half at all. Not sure whether it was just never represented that way in NSRW/SRWJ or if I just forgot about it. In any case, the second half is less repetitive at least, but it suffers from a variety of issues, the most obvious ones being the ones that resulted from the show being ended prematurely. I also don't really care for several of the plot elements in the second half, such as pretty much everything to do with the Holy Maiden.

The final episode is absurdly disconnected from the penultimate episode and doesn't really explain what's happening at the end. Seal 2000 (OVA 3) is much better in both of those regards, and I would recommend that anyone who wants to watch the series should discard episode 38 and replace it with Seal 2000. That said, there are still unanswered questions at the end, the most annoying of which I feel is that it's never explained exactly what happened after Eiji starts his attack at the end of episode 24. For a criticism more specific to 38/Seal 2000, the whole concept of the seal seems kind of absurd, both in its effects and in the disjunction between what it was supposed to be for and what was required to use it/where it was.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2017 on: October 13, 2014, 11:41:02 AM »
Madlax - watched through

Madlax has managed to pick itself up a copy of the GSD Memorial So Awesome I Can Overlook All Issues Award. Almost a crime that I've had a copy for around five years and only just got around to watching it. Music probably stands out as the best feature, while I guess the worst thing that comes to mind is that a bunch of plot threads seem to get dropped.

Gundam: Reconguista In G - watched episodes 1 through 3

I hope this improves, because it's been thoroughly unimpressive so far. I can't tell why any of the characters are doing anything that they're doing. Also, not really a fan of the art style.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #2018 on: October 13, 2014, 01:48:58 PM »
And here I thought music was the only redeeming feature of Madlax (and it is excellent music). What  a half-baked excuse for a plot that show had.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2019 on: November 30, 2014, 07:34:37 AM »
Danganronpa - watched through

I don't think it really added anything to the Danganronpa experience I had gotten reading the LP. It also feels like the show wouldn't really represent Danganronpa as well as it might be hoped to anyone who hadn't experienced it before, although I have no way of confirming that. Ultimate conclusion: Read the LP (or play the game, I guess) and don't worry about the show.

Betterman - watched through

Started off poorly, got more interesting as things went on, fell off a cliff right at the end. Oh well, the majority of the show was intriguing enough.

Gundam Build Fighters - watched through

More entertaining that I was expecting, although it's not a masterpiece or anything. Looking forward to starting to watch GBF Try.

Gundam: Reconguista In G - watched episodes 4 through 10

Well, it had been slowly improving, but episode 10 decided to dig up all the ground it had gained. I don't have much confidence in the series at this point.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2020 on: November 30, 2014, 10:23:04 PM »
Belatedly: Madlax hate?  Sign me up.  (Except for the music, which is amazing.)  Definitely one of the worst anime series that I nevertheless finished.

I wouldn't say the plot threads are "dropped" so much as "rendered irrelevant by stupid plot twists and deus ex machinas."  Like...  the first few episodes would have you believe there's some kind of interesting struggle going on in Garza.  One of the big reveals is that Friday basically runs both sides and is making them fight because...  'cause he's a villain.  (It actually wouldn't be so bad if they threw in something about "he is literally trying to summon the devil and the magic requires the sacrifice of a zillion lives", but it's because he thinks humans like to kill each other in their natural state, and the story seems to think he's right.)  Combined with the deaths of some side characters, it really comes down to just Margaret Burton & her pocketbook vs. weird Friday psuedo-magic, there's nothing else that matters.  (Damning with faint praise, I suppose.  They had the right focus for the last few episodes, if only they made sense at all.  Pretty much turn the show off once Carrosea (?)'s backstory reveal happens.)

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #2021 on: November 30, 2014, 11:02:31 PM »
Man, Build Fighters had a Time Be Still episode, Tam Ray's Device and motherfucking G-Savior of all things.  If those aren't signs of a masterpiece nothing is!

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2022 on: January 02, 2015, 09:48:02 PM »
I actually finished an anime series!  For the first time in at least 3 years!  ...weird it ended up being this one, but...  people were talking in #rpgdl about the Vita library, and I looked at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_PlayStation_Vita_games , and looked at some of the wackier titled Japan-only releases.  What's that weird title next to Untitled Ys game?  This, combined with seeing a 1 month of ad-free Crunchyroll offers & being bored over Christmas break, led to me watching...

Yuki Yuna is a Hero: I liked it and it's fun.  Only 12 episodes, so the plot can actually advance, too.  It's one of those dark transforming magic girl shows aimed at males.  Middle schoolers join do-gooder Hero Club, fight eldritch horrors in weird Picasso-esque colorful scenery in the first half, there is a twist, and in the second half the cast grapples with the real trouble. 

Anyway, the characters are all likable, and someone actually thought out the thematic arcs to make sure A connects to B, they create some good conflicts then resolve them, etc.  There's certainly signs of influence from Madoka, both thematic ("hmm, middle schoolers engaging in life & death combat actually seems kinda bad") and superficial (the show centers on the relationship between the red/pink haired main & the slightly mysterious black-haired secondary character, the black-haired character uses guns in combat, the blonde character is the 'mentor').  However, it's its own show, and strikes out its own path, so it's not a retread.  Obligatory warning: I haven't actually seen Madoka, although I know the spoilers.

This is a matter of personal taste, but the fanservice in this series felt like "acceptable" 90s and early 2000s level to me.  There are a lot of recent animes that just irritate me and make me feel like I'm watching some screwed up half-hentai, and this one didn't.  Don't get me wrong, there's still fanservice, but it didn't turn into a show about catering to fetish-du-jour that I was worried it might.

Random nitpick though, since I've seen this plot point come up elsewhere: the parents are almost totally MIA this series.  (As is everyone else not in the main cast - there's the main 5 characters and maybe 1 side character and that's it, no relevant lines for anyone else.)  Okay, they're the no-fun brigade even if it'd make perfect sense for them to be a bit concerned about the events of the series, fine.  But they're explicitly written out for the one group we do get to see the home-life of, two orphan sisters: their parents died in the backstory.  Except...  wait.  They're a third-year & first-year in Japanese middle school, so that means 9th & 7th grade.  And their parents died in the *backstory*, so let's call that a year or two ago minimum.  So...  a 7th grader living alone, raising a 5th grader and paying rent and taxes?!  wat.  No, sorry, you're moving in with distant relatives or a guardian or something, that's not believable.  I get you want tragic self-sufficiency, but yeesh, just have overworked / travelling parents who are never home.

Lightly recommended.  Possible it's a bit generic?  But what do I know, the only other show of this type I watched was Mai Hime ages ago.  Man.  I can still rant about how they botched the ending to Mai Hime, thinking about it.  Sheesh.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #2023 on: January 10, 2015, 11:40:38 AM »
Persona 4: The Golden - watched through

Things may be coloured by my not having played P4G (and by it being over a year since I saw the original P4 cartoon, I guess) - but I feel like this is really an attempt at the sort of show I'd prefer, where the characters are put into new situations rather than retreading the subject matter of the game. Of course it's possible that everything in the show was in P4G which would render my feelings completely misaimed, but I have no intention of playing P4G anyway

Not to say that the show is great or anything. It's just fine. But I'd like to see better things along those lines. Probably wouldn't work for everything.

Went into the show expecting Marie to be terrible for some reason, she was pretty annoying for the first couple episodes but got better quickly. Can't be sure whether she was actually as bad to begin with as she appeared or if it was due to my preconceptions. One problem relating to Marie, but not exactly her fault - I found the camera's insistence on taking and reading her poetry despite her anger at this to be somewhat disturbing. I'd like to assume that the game itself at least gives you the option of whether to read any you come across or not, but... you get forced to read all of it you come across in Persona Q soooooo I feel like that's unlikely. Persona Q also seems to be insinuating that she's leaving it out personally and feigning outrage rather than it escaping her via whatever means, unsure of my opinion on that.

Prison & Repent Goodbye, Mr. Despair - watched through both

They're generally amusing, as usual. They sometimes have pointless exploitation of Kaere specifically to prevent me from recommending them to anyone, as usual. Only No-Man's Land left, unless I want to look into the comics (assuming anyone's translated any).

One annoyance is that they are running the 'You were there?' (behind me)  'Always' exchange into the ground and I wish they would stop.

Patema Inverted - watched

Not really what I was expecting, which was something more whimsical and less dystopian. Still reasonably entertaining, although I feel like I'd still like something which whimsically explored the concept without having to have a heroes vs. villains story.

Still reasonably entertaining. I ended up getting misinterpreting the current situation at the end, sadly. Figured that the skybox machine was actually a city on Earth and Agia was actually a chunk of earth which had ended up suspended very high in the sky, with the Agians living on the underside and the Inverted living on the inside. In hindsight there are a bunch of problems with this interpretation.

Gundam: Reconguista in G - watched episodes 11 through 15

Show is continuing to waver between poor and mediocre. On the plus side Raraiya seems to have mostly recovered.

Gundam: Build Fighters Try - watched episodes 1 through 13

Been pretty consistently entertaining so far. I was initially disappointed with all the additional rules that seem to be covering the current tournament but I guess given its different focus it's somewhat to be expected, and they haven't exactly caused any problems (and I've forgotten what most of them even are).
« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:45:47 AM by Twilkitri »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #2024 on: January 10, 2015, 08:56:37 PM »
Persona 4: The Golden - watched through

Things may be coloured by my not having played P4G (and by it being over a year since I saw the original P4 cartoon, I guess) - but I feel like this is really an attempt at the sort of show I'd prefer, where the characters are put into new situations rather than retreading the subject matter of the game. Of course it's possible that everything in the show was in P4G which would render my feelings completely misaimed, but I have no intention of playing P4G anyway

Not to say that the show is great or anything. It's just fine. But I'd like to see better things along those lines. Probably wouldn't work for everything.

Went into the show expecting Marie to be terrible for some reason, she was pretty annoying for the first couple episodes but got better quickly. Can't be sure whether she was actually as bad to begin with as she appeared or if it was due to my preconceptions. One problem relating to Marie, but not exactly her fault - I found the camera's insistence on taking and reading her poetry despite her anger at this to be somewhat disturbing. I'd like to assume that the game itself at least gives you the option of whether to read any you come across or not, but... you get forced to read all of it you come across in Persona Q soooooo I feel like that's unlikely. Persona Q also seems to be insinuating that she's leaving it out personally and feigning outrage rather than it escaping her via whatever means, unsure of my opinion on that.

Nope, you do not have the option of not reading her poetry. I got the same feeling you did in Golden, that she was purposefully leaving it out after a certain point.

P4G anime is actually a NG+ run, if you noticed (some hints are dropped, like the Attributes table being full in Ep1). Was kinda novel and hilarious, but it ended up being one of those things that was more interesting in concept than execution. Most of it is retread of Golden stuff, leaving the normal plot ancillary (it's NG+, you know the plot!). Worked overall but sometimes it did need a little more context for when things were happening.

The places Golden the game shined were the ease-of-use gameplay changes surprisingly, not the additional plot scenes. Kinda funny that the more P4 tries to explain the why's of its plot, the worse it ends up coming out. The fluff was fine. Night interactions with S-Links and Beach trip were great, but the less said of the band sequence the better (yep, everyone learns difficult instruments in 3 days!)... Had the opposite reaction to Marie in-game, going in without preconceptions. She was okay at first. Kinda funny, some good bits, but she slowly becomes the sole focus of any scene she's in, and sort of changes the group dynamic- and soon the plot dynamic overall. Just... text-book Mary-Sue.