Register

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253855 times)

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1900 on: October 07, 2012, 09:43:52 PM »
Randomly felt in the mood to catch up on some other anime I've had lying around forever, especially movies since I'm more likely to actually finish them...

Loups=Garou: Dumb/10.  I forget who recommended it but meh, it's a disappointment.  I was hoping for supernatural horror, or at least supernatural action, and ended up with middle school girl bands or something.  There's some half-decent ideas involving a too-wired in future where everything is tracked, but the show immediately gives Our Heroines a magic wand to ignore this, so whatever.  Also, I'm willing to throw plots some slack to get things going and drag a character into the action, but Loups=Garou pretty well abuses such implausibility throughout and never really explains at least one character who you'd think would be at least moderately important.  Lastly the villainy is dumb.  (This is also one of those shows where all the good people are women and all the guys exist to get beaten up and kicked with high heels or something.)  I never once felt like this setting had rules that had to be played by and that violating them would get you arrested and/or killed, and this killed any sense of danger because everything that happens is blatantly the script's whim.  ("Oh no our magic hacking powerz have run out we need to run home because the scene is over!"  "Oh no wave of really stupid security robots we're doomed unless the script comes up with a BS reason why not!" etc.)

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: October 07, 2012, 10:25:30 PM »
You should watch Beck, Mongolian Chop Squad.  It is totally a supernatural horror, or at least supernatural action.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: October 23, 2012, 01:18:08 PM »
Gundam SEED Astray (OVA) - watched through

I wasn't expecting anything to displace Stargazer and Miller's Report as the Worst Gundam Shows, especially Astray, but somehow it managed it. Golfclaps all round.

Ideon & Be Invoked - watched through

Ideon proper is mediocre.

Be Invoked is generally better but dragged down by the ending, still ending up a little superior. Didn't bother watching A Contact so I couldn't say whether Be Invoked works better in conjunction with it than with the series, but I would suspect it would. Pretty much everything that I understood Ideon to contain was in Be Invoked and not in the series proper.

Cosmo and Kasha are highly annoying characters for a while, Cosmo abruptly becoming less so at one point which is also annoying. Unsure how abrupt Kasha's turnaround was as she's not in focus very often.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: October 24, 2012, 02:34:47 AM »
All I've watched of Ideon is the two movies, so let me tell you you're not missing much.  A Contact is bad.  Tries to jam so much stuff in there that you have no idea what's going on.  Also, there's something like 8 episodes of the series not covered in either movie, so watching them back to back as I did, there's a lot of plot missing.  (Who is that girl who gets blownupcapitated in the beginning of Be Invoked?  And what planet were they on and why?  Dunno.)
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: November 02, 2012, 10:53:42 AM »
Aria the Animation: This is literally the most terrifying thing I've ever seen, the future is comprised of Italian culture and space cats are accepted by the populace at large and allowed to be company presidents

I don't think I'll ever sleep again
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1905 on: November 07, 2012, 12:06:24 PM »
Hyper Dolls - watched through

Mediocre, which is all I was expecting really. I pretty much only decided to watch it because I thought one of the ending themes sounded nice. Said ending wasn't even included in the version I watched anyway. Go figure.

Fight, Iczer 1 & Adventures With Iczer 3 - watched through both

Iczer 1 was fairly entertaining. Iczer 3 was less so. Iczer 3 themself (and Yajin) is (are) annoying whereas Iczer 1 wasn't really, and the show is considerably more standard than Iczer 1. Also less horrific, not that I'm really into horrificness.

Iczer 1 did have problems. It was a bit short, but if they'd made it longer they would probably have just thrown other villains in to pad out space anyway. It also had the shockingly dumb moment where Iczer 2 goes after the child for no readily apparent reason, despite supposedly only caring about killing Iczer 1 - nothing in Iczer 3 is coming to mind as being that off, but that's not really much of a compliment. There was also the ending. Annoyingly, despite the ending being annoying, it makes Iczer 3's ending more annoying when they don't repeat it. I guess Iczer 1 doesn't care enough unless Nagisa is dead (in a manner of speaking).

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1906 on: November 07, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »
Twil why are you going through my old company's back catalogue? Next you'll be saying you watched Hyper Speed Grandoll, Gall Force, or some other crap 80's sci-fi schlock we used to peddle.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1907 on: November 07, 2012, 08:35:27 PM »
I was just getting a bunch of shortish things out of the way really. Don't think I have anything else along these lines on hand except for Bubblegum Crisis which I wasn't planning on watching any time soon.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1908 on: November 13, 2012, 10:13:51 AM »
In celebration of Disgaea's 10th anniversary and their announcement at making a direct sequel of the first game (and possibly because I hate myself), I decided to sit down and -finally- watch the Disgaea anime. I tried watching it when it first came out, and it blew me away at just how -bad- they managed to make it. I made it through 3 episodes before stopping and never looking back. Tried again about 2 years ago with similar results.

This time, I made it all the way through. Glad it only took 10 years.

The first few episodes are still painfully bad. The pacing is bad, the world-building is bad, the jokes fall flat, Flonne is the main character, The Defenders of Earth get introduced super-early as some kind of Team Rocket-esque sideshow. It basically manages to botch all the things that worked about the Disgaea story. They even drop meta-humor pretty much entirely until episode 9, where they sorta-kinda make it work with Flonne/Etna/Laharl acting like the two old guys from The Muppet Show to the main storyline going on with the human world characters.

Basically, what I'm saying is "It gets better, but they screwed it up from the beginning so much that it never really recovers." As a dedicated Disgaea fan, it was an interesting bit of media to watch how some animation team envisioned the way things work in the Netherworld and such, but without the humor and the solid writing between main trio, the anime just doesn't work. It doesn't help that the animation itself makes its characters look like their made out of melted cheese.

As a counterpoint, this time I actually watched the dub of the anime, and the localization really helped a lot. In general, Disgaea localization >>>>> Disgaea original, but it's especially true of the anime. They retain the full voice cast from the localized games which is a treat that I wasn't really expecting, but it was a pleasant surprise. The music, too, is ripped directly from the games and Tenpei Sato even composed the new original opening song, so that was definitely a high point for the series. I think I listened to the opening and ending every episode. Episode previews are still narrated by Etna, too, though they aren't nearly as off-color and weird as their in-game counterparts.

The serious parts of the story (the last four episodes, basically) suffer from being a lot more overt than the game. Both the anime and game hit the same notes, but they are far too blatant with the identity of Laharl's parents and the somber scenes drag on too long for the emotional impact to hit the mark. I did kind of like the very very end though, which covered the game's actual ending sequences, which I felt were a little -too- clipped in the game itself, and so the extended sequence was a welcome change, showing how Etna and Flonne were adjusting to their new roles in the Netherworld.

One last thing to note is that a lot of the ideas the anime had weren't -bad-. They could have worked the Flonne-as-a-viewpoint character thing provided they made her more goofy and more of a punching bag to counteract the over-the-top Love Freak stuff (y'know, how they do it in the game). They -could- have capitalized on Gordon and Jennifer being around earlier in the story, provided they got proper screen-time and an introduction that didn't break the flow of the rest of the narrative. And honestly, the jokes in the anime itself weren't bad on paper, but there's a lot of instances where the timing of the animation or the music are completely off from where they should be relative to how the joke is told. It's hard for Etna to work as a deadpan snarker when the animators don't know how to use a proper jump cut. It's all in the presentation, and the Disgaea anime team missed the basics there.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1909 on: November 17, 2012, 01:31:29 AM »
Psycho-Pass episode 6 was impressively creepy. The Titus Andronicus reference was maybe a bit too blatant for someone familiar with that particular play, but that 'artwork' at the end... man. Urobuchi really hit the mark with THAT.

I liked the way the past few cases were tied into the overall plot in hindsight, as well; it makes the whole series feel less episodic without throwing too much at the viewer at one time.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1910 on: November 22, 2012, 10:46:00 AM »
Hino, I cannot tell whether you are underestimating Urobuchi or just being sarcastic.
The artwork is more of "Urobuchi could not come up with apalling ideas for the moment so lets use a place holder here" situation.

Shin Sekai Yori - Decided to watch this because.... well, those know why would know why. But after watching.... ugh, why couldn't this show have better art quality?? I totally defeated my purpose of watching it...

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1911 on: November 22, 2012, 05:25:02 PM »
The ED is pretty, at least

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1912 on: December 03, 2012, 08:49:07 PM »
Sword Arts Online: All I have to say about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evPOJtmXqkc

TranceHime

• Let's have a freaking kid!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • That'll solve ALL our problems!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1913 on: December 04, 2012, 06:16:23 AM »
Sword Arts Online: All I have to say about this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evPOJtmXqkc

and that video is why the light novel > the anime.

I think many people will agree when the anime should have just stopped at the end of the SAO arc. At least, if you wish to continue it, please do the GGO arc, simply because it is far more entertaining and just about as thrilling as the SAO arc (in my opinion anyway)
19:35:58 (trancehime) there's a specific spot in the game that's for item duping
19:36:14 (Sanae) o.o
19:39:11 (Sanae) I'd love to dupe a second trancehime.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1914 on: December 05, 2012, 04:17:30 AM »
Wait, Trance reads SAO?? This is news.

But yeah, second the opinion of moving into GGO ASAP, and then skip right into Alicization.

......and then finally there well be people drawing KiritoxEugeo doujins.....

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1915 on: December 09, 2012, 09:00:07 AM »
Kaiji S2 - watched through

Pretty entertaining.

I feel that the pachinko arc did run long, but only in the sense that it didn't leave any room for further arcs - I don't remember it dragging at all.

It was a bit annoying with regards to how much Ichijou put up with before getting to the point where he had no choice but to do so.

Mazinkaiser SKL - watched through

Meh.

Bobbin Cranbud

• Denizen
    • View Profile
    • The Writing of Joshua Cole
« Reply #1916 on: December 11, 2012, 01:45:54 AM »
Robotics;Notes

Watched all the episodes available on Funimation's site. It's... an odd mix.

I like the characters, anyway, which is usually what determines if I like a series or not. Kai is especially entertaining, and one of the few anime leads who is probably the best member of his cast. His studied indifference, his concern for Aki when she's not around, and the fact that his constant refrain of "I'll do it if you beat me at this video game" eventually comes back to bite him are all fun to watch. I'm sufficiently invested in these characters to want them to succeed at getting Gunbuild-1 to work.

I'm not as keen on the conspiracy plot that seems to be unfolding in the background. It seems like a strange fit for the slice of life in the (near) future! stuff.
Read my webnovel, Eye Opener, now available on RoyalRoad.

hinode

• Enough expository banter! Now we fight like men!
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • And ladies! And ladies who dress like men!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1917 on: December 17, 2012, 03:02:15 AM »
Mazinkaiser SKL: Eschews plot almost completely in favor of the mecha equivalent of heavy-metal. For 13 USD, that works out just fine.  Kaiser's mode switching was fun and helped keep the fight scenes fresh.

Wingle was shockingly competent for a Mazinger fembot in actual combat, which just might be the biggest upset in Go Nagai history. I'm guessing the fact that its outright demonic design (despite the wussy name) instead of the usual robotic blow-up doll look was a contributing factor here.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 03:05:19 AM by hinode »

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1918 on: January 03, 2013, 03:42:57 AM »
L-Gaim - watched through

Didn't live up to my hopes, as sketchy as they were.

Starts off a bit too lightheartedly in a dumb sense, although I wouldn't put it at Gundam ZZ's level. It doesn't stay that way for too long, although long enough for it to be annoying.

Amm and Gaw are both too fixated on Dubber, which is especially irksome in Gaw's case considering she was supposed to be an elite military person. At least she improves in this regard half-ish though, but I don't remember her actually ever beating any named enemies while Amm does (a female named enemy, of course).

The Biorelation system is never really explained which is disappointing.

I also wasn't expecting Gablae to be anywhere near as stupid as he was.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 03:44:34 AM by Twilkitri »

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1919 on: January 03, 2013, 06:30:25 PM »
http://www.abc.net.au/tv/guide/abc3/201301/programs/ZX9129A001D2013-01-06T201855.htm

ABC-Aussie style is going to be showing Madoka! This will end well.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1920 on: January 03, 2013, 09:37:47 PM »
The ABC in General is actually pretty great in the diverse stuff it screens and ABC3 is kind of their punt what ever on channel.  It gets some really crazy shit on it.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1921 on: January 24, 2013, 11:30:44 AM »
UN-GO - watched through, including episode zero

I won some merchandise for preordering (no doubt solely due to barely anyone doing so) so I thought the least I could do would be to kick it to the top of the queue.

By all rights I should think more of the show than I do, but somehow it rubs me the wrong way. When I try to think of problems I can't really think of any, though? Outside the fight scene in the final episode which I found a bit disturbing, but this was happening before then. True!Inga's design is also dumb but that shouldn't be enough on its own.

I may be associating it with my horrible graphics card problems maybe since it was triggering a heap of them :S

Regardless of my confused thoughts on the series proper, I do feel that episode zero was very good without reservation and expanded on a number of things that needed expanding on. Also sadly made the final episode fight scene more disturbing, but I guess you can't have everything. I am divided on how I feel about the post-credits scene.

Thermæ Romæ - watched through, including the standard specials

I thought it was pretty great. Often amusing. Nothing really coming to mind to expand on that with though.

SnowFire

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1922 on: January 24, 2013, 11:09:52 PM »
I watched the first episode of UN-GO fansubbed awhile back.  While it seemed like it might have mild potential as a "watch amusing characters chat" type show, said episode utterly failed as a detective/mystery show, and furthermore the core idea didn't seem to have much potential.  Wait, this is a detective show where one character can force people to tell the truth by getting all sexy and kissing them?  This uh kinda limits the range of potential murders that are not totally trivial to solve (use killer robots?), unless Inga constantly refuses to use her ability, which she won't because this is an anime and they surely want to sell at least some of the audience on hot transformation to scantily clad lady in fetish gear scenes or something.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1923 on: January 25, 2013, 02:05:30 AM »
It was less about the procedural mystery show than the circumstances surrounding everything. It's possibly the most chill dystopian society ever depicted. Information and information technology is so tightly controlled that the truth is literally whatever Rinroku said it was. Shinjuro's nickname "The Defeated Detective" we learn is both a truth and a false nickname because he's always finding out the truth of the matter, quite literally thanks to supernatural means, but it doesn't matter since the real truth is immediately overwritten by Rinroku for political means. Even when Shinjuro wins he loses. The public thinks the nickname is a result of him not being able to figure out cases before Rinroku, but those in the know figure out the real truth behind the nickname and can't really do anything about it.

It's a show that ends up better than the sum of its parts, kinda. Characters are fun, overarching themes are good even if the scenarios are kinda meh. It cuts off at an inopportune moment before it can further expand on the world and Shinjuro himsef, despite the help that Episode 0 is. I really hope there is a season 2.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1924 on: January 27, 2013, 03:39:32 PM »
Robotics;Notes 14: Goddamnit this is too good to last. If it doesn't, I've never seen a show go so out of its way to establish a plausible, entertaining and endearing relationship only to have it not be a real pairing. Fucking anime based on VNs. Fuck you, Tsukihime VN fans. Gotta cram all those routes in!

Pre-emptive rage best rage.