imageRegister

Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 254019 times)

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1750 on: July 23, 2011, 09:13:23 AM »
One Piece: Episode 330. Listed here so I don't forget since for the next few days, I will be working/on a plane.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1751 on: July 26, 2011, 07:40:07 AM »
No.6 - I give in and watched this.... so far the changes are reasonable. But then, I am more worried about Karan's plot getting cut than Shion and Rat's love life. Trying to keep Shion and Rate on screen is good and all, but I like Karan too.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1752 on: July 30, 2011, 04:20:58 AM »
Mawaru Penguindrum:

This show kicks ass. The premise is fairly neat: two brothers having to obey the very odd commands of some spirit possessing their younger sister or the spirit will allow their little sister to bite the big one. The actual execution is brilliant, with character interaction and dialog keeping things alternately drop-dead funny and fairly compelling. A date going bad is a pretty typical setup, but throw in enough crazy daydreams (in cardboard caricature style cutouts!) and you get pure hilarity. And yet you can't help but feel sympathy for the downtrodden if slightly crazy stalker/victim at the center of it all.

The show has a fair amount of symbolism, for example a tree with growth supports in the background when the issue in the foreground is someone trying to 'manipulate the execution of destiny' as it were. There are lots of little touches like that, and the idea of immutable fate and the way people deal with it is a rather serious plot point that is handled quite tactfully so far.

Oh and of course the transformation sequence must be mentioned. It is something you just have to see for yourself. It can't be described properly beyond "batshit insane and yet awesome"

Dantalian no Shouka: Great OP. The lead character is likable, and Dalian needs to replace Index ASAP.

Sierra

• N I G H T M A R E E Y E S
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Go get dead, angel face
    • View Profile
« Reply #1753 on: July 30, 2011, 10:54:04 AM »
The show has a fair amount of symbolism, for example a tree with growth supports in the background when the issue in the foreground is someone trying to 'manipulate the execution of destiny' as it were.

I think the director or someone involved also did Utena? So that part doesn't surprise me one bit.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1754 on: July 30, 2011, 01:53:35 PM »
TOA - 103 through 106

103 and 104 were clip episodes as I said earlier. More annoyingly than 93's clip episode, they pulled in clips from very early episodes which served to remind how bad they could get at times.

Happily 105/106 was a pretty good two-parter.

TOA: Beautiful Dreamer - Watched

'Twas good. I don't really understand the setup completely, though. All the people still involved after the turtle shows up are asleep and in the same dream (at least until they get shunted into their own subdream, where appropriate), sure, but what about all the people which were around before that? They don't get turned into stone (aside from Cherry and Onsen), and if people are able to just be evicted without being turned into stone, then why was anyone turned into stone at all?

Osamu Tezuka's Metropolis - Watched

Pretty and entertaining. Ending scene is kind of dumb. As I understand things there was a post-credits scene cut out of the version I watched.

Given a number of events I expected things to lead into anti-discrimination messages, but they didn't really. And the most discriminating character of all essentially saves the world, for all his intentions at the time were nothing of the sort.

Utawarerumono - Through episode 10.

On the upside, we have tactical stuff (although they haven't done anything too heavy in this regard yet). On the downside, we have a scene where a tiger attempts to breastfeed from a young woman and then implies that she is underendowed. I need to apply some standards to my purchasing.

Some of the background character graphics in the show seem odd, as if they're 3D models which 2D foreground characters have been pasted in front of.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1755 on: July 30, 2011, 10:10:06 PM »

'Twas good. I don't really understand the setup completely, though. All the people still involved after the turtle shows up are asleep and in the same dream (at least until they get shunted into their own subdream, where appropriate), sure, but what about all the people which were around before that? They don't get turned into stone (aside from Cherry and Onsen), and if people are able to just be evicted without being turned into stone, then why was anyone turned into stone at all?

SYMBOLISM. The people who turned to stone are generally important people in Lum's life, IE, pillars holding up her reality. The people who were around before that were just extras. All dreams have extras.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1756 on: July 30, 2011, 11:55:23 PM »

SYMBOLISM. The people who turned to stone are generally important people in Lum's life, IE, pillars holding up her reality. The people who were around before that were just extras. All dreams have extras.

Man, I'm no good at this kind of thing. But for the four people that are confirmed to have been pillarised (technically they didn't confirm Ryuunosuke, just assumed that she was there as well, but whatever), I can see this for Shinobu, and I can somewhat see it for Cherry... but Onsen and Ryuunosuke don't seem like they're really that important to Lum? I could easily see this for Sakura, Shutaro, and Ataru, but we don't ever find out if they got pillarised or not (probably safe to assume that they did, although it does demand the question of what would happen if someone looked down there and saw Ataru).

Actually, that's reminded me that Lum specified Shutaro as someone she wanted to live with forever as well. Was the dreampersonIforgetthenameof intending to masquerade as both Ataru and Shutaro? Hm.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1757 on: July 31, 2011, 12:06:00 AM »

Man, I'm no good at this kind of thing. But for the four people that are confirmed to have been pillarised (technically they didn't confirm Ryuunosuke, just assumed that she was there as well, but whatever), I can see this for Shinobu, and I can somewhat see it for Cherry... but Onsen and Ryuunosuke don't seem like they're really that important to Lum? I could easily see this for Sakura, Shutaro, and Ataru, but we don't ever find out if they got pillarised or not (probably safe to assume that they did, although it does demand the question of what would happen if someone looked down there and saw Ataru).

Actually, that's reminded me that Lum specified Shutaro as someone she wanted to live with forever as well. Was the dreampersonIforgetthenameof intending to masquerade as both Ataru and Shutaro? Hm.

The pillar thing itself is kinda dropped after it happens. Don't get too hung up on the internal consistancy of it. It's not all THAT important in the grand scheme of things anyway. Just a nice tidbit to notice.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1758 on: July 31, 2011, 01:44:23 AM »
Dreams are not internally consistent.  They change and you accept them as your psyche wants/needs/does or you are likely to wake up.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1759 on: July 31, 2011, 02:21:32 AM »
The dream in question was artificially created and controlled by a seperate entity.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1760 on: July 31, 2011, 03:18:49 AM »
It is still a dream though.  A dream displaying dreamlike properties is not something that bears particularly focussed analysis.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1761 on: July 31, 2011, 03:28:00 PM »
Ho hrm. Let's see...

Yu-Gi-Oh GX: Watched the full dub of this. Corny and stupid, as expected. The dub writing was better expected with the show often poking quite a bit of fun at itself. Duels are solid, characters blew, etc. Final arc was reasonably well composed though. It was a decent time waste.

Full Metal Alchemist: Brotherhood: Generally superior to the original. Does falter in some areas (Nina is a good bit weaker, the early pacing is hellishly rushed) but largely benefits from a seemingly better budget and following the superior manga direction.

Afro Samurai: Brainless action. Fun, brainless action, but brainless action. Honestly, it is Samuel L. Jackson cutting fools up. There isn't much to it. The end is disappointing, I suppose?

Murder Princess: Way too short to amount to anything.

Spice and Wolf: My opinion on it remained stable. Very good. The best anime about relationships and medieval mercantilism ever.

Needless (in progress): Kind of a... thing. I dunno. Flashy, I guess. It is enjoyable, but not for any real reason. And the main character's lolita deal irks me.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1762 on: July 31, 2011, 09:16:27 PM »
The show has a fair amount of symbolism, for example a tree with growth supports in the background when the issue in the foreground is someone trying to 'manipulate the execution of destiny' as it were. There are lots of little touches like that, and the idea of immutable fate and the way people deal with it is a rather serious plot point that is handled quite tactfully so far.

I am feeling that the writer is aiming for massive trolling with the amount of railroad and apple.
By the way, the theme of this show is actually bipolar, it is a contrast between people who are struggling with the fate they can't escape from and those trying to create fate when there isn't one.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1763 on: August 01, 2011, 12:14:34 AM »
Trolling?  In an Ikuhara anime?  Surely you jest.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1764 on: August 01, 2011, 01:10:58 AM »
Needless (in progress): Ha, ha, ha funny fanservice antics and comedy and fighting and sight gags and JESUS THAT WOMAN IS NOW IMPALED ON A BROKEN HUNK OF WOOD AND THE HEROES ALL GOT IMPALED ON TENTACLES WHAT THE HELL.

Seriously. Show needs to be a bit less bipolar.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1765 on: August 01, 2011, 02:48:47 AM »
I dunno, Andy.  That sounds just bipolar enough.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1766 on: August 07, 2011, 03:23:01 AM »
Utawarerumono - Finished

Generally entertaining.

Things get a little disturbing later on and a lot of questions about the world open up which are never answered. Ah well.

I don't recall it ever explaining why the other half of Witzalmewhatsit incarnates as Dii considering that the full version essentially incarnates as Hakuoro. I have since seen this explained elsewhere but it was confusing at the time.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1767 on: August 12, 2011, 10:30:01 PM »
I think most have heard, Sakamoto Maaya and Suzumura Kenichi got married. Cannon couples are now really cannon couples. (SEED/FF7/Kara)

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1768 on: August 13, 2011, 06:58:00 AM »
Advent Children Complete - Watched

Expands on some things which Classic didn't do enough with, which was good. Had too much Denzel though.

The new version of the pre-omnislash scene goes kind of overboard.

Has a fair amount of bad dialogue but it's not like Classic didn't.

Welcome To The NHK - Finished

Pretty entertaining.

I managed to not grasp the actual point of the final contract until I was reading up on things later. I'm good at this.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1769 on: August 13, 2011, 03:38:03 PM »
Jesus, Twil. You're watching all the anime I'm not.

Now watch:
Tatami Galaxy
Bokurano
Baccano
Durarara
Dennou Coil
The Girl Who Leapt Through Time
Summer Wars
Perfect Blue
Millenium Actress
Tokyo Godfathers
Paprika
Paranoia Agent

Chop chop.
« Last Edit: August 13, 2011, 03:55:02 PM by Hunter Sopko »

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1770 on: August 13, 2011, 09:10:24 PM »
Finished Shows

Avatar: The Last Airbender: Close enough. Finished a rewatch. Much better than I recall, since I'd never seen it all the way through. Very smartly written.

Needless: Holy hell terrible ending. Fun on the whole, solid animation, but meh.

Partial Shows

Spice and Wolf II: First two episodes. Rockin'.

Full Metal Panic? Fummumumumuffomumfum: Haven't finished, but fun. It actually makes me think of a less serious Burn Notice set in highschool.

Pumpkin Scissors: Interesting enough. We'll see how it goes.

Idun

« Reply #1771 on: August 15, 2011, 04:36:34 PM »
Watching Naruto. I'm on Episode 33.

I do *not* like Sasuke. Despite his presumably unlimited potential, and the new power he constantly acquires, he keeps sucking more and more.

Sakura is cuter with short hair, but I find her completely useless - similar to that stupid girl with red hair from Bleach.

Gaara reminds me of Akira.

I like this Naruto show. Friends have twice recommended I read the manga, and I dunno how to go about that, so I'm just getting my stuff from Hulu. About to also watch Tatami Galaxy.

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1772 on: August 15, 2011, 04:49:14 PM »
I do *not* like Sasuke. Despite his presumably unlimited potential, and the new power he constantly acquires, he keeps sucking more and more.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA ooooohhhh man, you hate him -already-. I can't wait to see how you react later in the series.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

Idun

« Reply #1773 on: August 15, 2011, 05:08:01 PM »
I'll just focus on Hinata!!

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile