Author Topic: Watching any anime?  (Read 253545 times)

Glen Veil

• Just call me...
  • Denizen
  • HO-UOU-IN K-YO-U-MA~
    • View Profile
Re: Watching any anime?
« Reply #1350 on: April 20, 2010, 06:40:55 AM »
Thoughts on P:RFTP

A bit late to respond, didn't notice this at first.  I guess I can see where you're coming from with that, since it takes a while for Zwei to actually try to get away.  I guess I was able to sympathize with the kill or be killed scenario.  I kind of looked at it as "well if I'm being forced to kill someone that's on a hitlist or die if I refuse, I might as well preserve my own life since that dude is probably set to die anyways."  I will agree though, the more I watched the more the anime just fell apart.  Further reflection just has me thinking of plot holes that come up earlier and earlier in the story, but it was a moderately enjoyable experience for the first half at least.

Aside from that, just recently watched Shuffle!  All I can say is...what is this I don't

Yes, I meant for that to be cut off, still figuring out what the hell I think about this.
Starts out a typical Harem for half the season, goes into something reminisce of School Days, only to conclude with the 4th potential interest being the one the guy picks, not the first, not the second, not even the third, but the fourth.  Then ends with the mc /wristing to save his loves' life, just...what...

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: April 23, 2010, 05:34:48 AM »
Romeo x Juliet

The original has the loss of the houses as a tragic event, whereas here the house system is demonised and R&J were intending to dissolve their houses of their own accord anyway. Kind of losing a bit of the impact there!

The overall moral the show seems to be trying to come across with is "place the importance of yourself over the importance of other people", which is on kind of shaky ground as far as morals are concerned. Although it does lead to arguably unpleasant consequences, so they may be trying to work against it, but if so they're doing it in a damn stupid way as people were following the opposite originally and need to be persuaded into acting otherwise.

Escallus & Ophelia needed to die in a fire. I cannot decide whether they are worse or better than Gankutsuou in Gankutsuou, but either way they occupy roughly the same position in the show. I don't believe they ever state exactly what the 'mortal sin' is aside from vague references about grafting things into Escallus, which doesn't shed any light on why that would be a mortal sin in the first place.

The ending is bizarre. So Juliet needs to be absorbed into Escallus in order to a) provide it nourishment so it can continue holding Neo Verona aloft and b) allow it to begin tormenting her for eternity as part of humankind's ongoing penance for the 'mortal sin'. Romeo eventually manages to convince her that this is not the best trade ever proposed, but Ophelia ends up forcing her into it anyway. After some fighting Romeo eventually manages to kill Ophelia and mostly kill Escallus, and get Juliet out, but he gets killed at the same time. This results in Juliet deciding to get absorbed into Escallus anyway because it would be a shame for the world to be destroyed when it could produce people like Romeo. Then Neo Verona lands in the ocean.

So our final score is:
Romeo dead after saving Juliet from an eternity of torment.
Juliet in an eternity of torment after saving Neo Verona from falling to its doom. An eternity of torment while hugging dead!Romeo, might I add.
Neo Verona no longer aloft.

The only winner here is Escallus, although as it can only eat Capulet girls for no explained reason (perhaps it was a Capulet behind the 'mortal sin' originally?) and there are now no Capulet girls left, it will die in a couple of generations anyway (unless Tybalt has daughters, but he may not count). HOORAY!!!!!?!?

But at least Romeo & Juliet died. It was looking there for a while like they wouldn't.

Gundam 00 v6

A large amount of named people died, which surely must have appeased the purists that go on about how large amounts of named people need to die in Gundam endgames and the amount in GSD just didn't cut it, setting aside 0079, 0083, Wing, and SEED. Although some of the dead people showed up in the SS teasers, which must have put a damper on their day.

The Alvatore kind of comes out of nowhere, which is a little disappointing. Is it something that they had put together as per the Thrones or something that was left at the base or what.

Only two thirds of a particular group died, and they left one of the annoying ones alive. Tsk.

A certain fellow showed up for no apparent reason, completely off his rocker. Or so I thought at the time, but I was told that he was actually insane the whole time but never really in a situation where it showed. I can sort of see that, but I dunno. It was a fairly disappointing end to him anyway.

Will that guy and that girl get into a wacky situation in SS where they have to fight each other unknowingly!? It would not surprise me in the slightest but SS still doesn't seem to have a start-being-released date yet.

All up it was fairly good. They dispelled a bunch of mysteries but replaced them with new ones. Looking forward to SS.

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #1352 on: April 23, 2010, 05:56:37 AM »
Romeo x Juliet

The original has the loss of the houses as a tragic event, whereas here the house system is demonised and R&J were intending to dissolve their houses of their own accord anyway. Kind of losing a bit of the impact there!

The overall moral the show seems to be trying to come across with is "place the importance of yourself over the importance of other people", which is on kind of shaky ground as far as morals are concerned.

People have been missing the point of Romeo and Juliet for centuries now. I'm not surprised that anime directors who can't even read the original language have also missed the point.

Yes, it is a love story. In the sense that it is a story about love. However, the moral I've always gotten from it was 'Throwing away everything in your life because you're young and IN LOVE is a fast way to get yourself killed. Have some sense and don't think with your dick. Kthxbye.'

Cmdr_King

• Strong and Full of Love
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Is Gay
    • View Profile
    • CK Blog
« Reply #1353 on: April 23, 2010, 06:06:36 AM »
*reads spoilers*
Clearly, the real moral is "society has fucked itself.  Even if we take steps to not be fucked, blind followers of tradition will maintain the status quo (of fuckedness).  Even if we give it our all to avert disaster, we are fucked.  There is no hope, only Xorn."
So basically it is reality as told through the lens of Romeo and Juliet (the popular imagination version, not the real version).
*nodnod*
CK: She is the female you
Snow: Speaking of Sluts!

<NotMiki> I mean, we're talking life vs. liberty, with the pursuit of happiness providing color commentary.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: April 23, 2010, 08:03:02 AM »
Soul Eater 1-4: Fun, good animation, quirky, oddball visual stylings. The four dubbed episode previews were enough to convince me I want to buy it.

MANGA
Bleach: Lolz.
HxH: Lolz.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: April 23, 2010, 09:32:19 AM »
Soul Eater 1-4: Fun, good animation, quirky, oddball visual stylings. The four dubbed episode previews were enough to convince me I want to buy it.

MANGA

And why are you not reading Soul Eater's manga instead??

Yoshiken

• Denizen
  • Yay!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1356 on: April 23, 2010, 01:29:53 PM »
MANGA

Oh how predictable.

AndrewRogue

• Infinite
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Sadness
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: April 23, 2010, 04:07:13 PM »

MANGA

And why are you not reading Soul Eater's manga instead??

I'm doing that too >_>

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: April 26, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
Fafner

It never really explains the complete deal with the Festum. Alternately I may just be clueless. Maybe I should watch Right of Left.

Or the deal with Soushi, for that matter.

Of the people on the island, I can only think of two who would have been sufficiently depraved enough to pull the grave job that happens early, but it also seems like it would be something that was far beneath them. What a sorry mystery for the show to leave hanging.

I don't think that there was enough time devoted to some of the secondary characters. Mamoru, Kenji show up a reasonable amount in the earlygame but then mostly disappear until they start to pilot. I don't think anyone even mentions the first Fafner pilot that dies aside from a couple of lines in the control centre at the time it happens. ...it's also strange that considering the success they had there, the Festum never do the same thing again despite it showing the main pilots using the same method of transport on a number of occasions. Lucky hit, perhaps.

Cannot say I thought much of the ending.

All up, the show had the scene where the rifle case was fired through the face of the Festum. Also the Sein's crystal weapons were nowhere near as annoying as they were in SRWK although they were never explained either. So we cannot speak too badly of it. I declare it pretty decent.

Anyone know whether Heaven And Earth is going to be an OVA or is it going to be a full series?

BaconForTheSoul

• Denizen
  • Because you don't get her with 3 levels left.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1359 on: April 28, 2010, 12:45:31 AM »
Inuyasha: Last cut.

Forgot how... silly this show is, but I am curious now.  They're really rushing it though, back in the day it took Inuyasha time to get new powers, now it's like "Oh hey kill this dude in half an episode and get a sick enw sword."

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: May 19, 2010, 06:23:27 PM »
Just finished a buncha shows I'd been watching intermittently during the semseter.

Kaze no Yojimbo - so goddamn good.  This is small-town mystery and intrigue at its best.  A show carefully planned from beginning to end.  Also contains about the coolest death scene ever.

Natsume Yuujinchou - Show about a boy who can see and interact with spirits and feels isolated from society because no one else can.  Sweet and contemplative, with a fun take on the supernatural, kinda like Mushishi but set in the present.

Record of Lodoss War TV - Your prototypical D&D fantasy.  Really, if your DM ain't too creative, you've played this one before.

Kaiji - Zawa zawa!  Akagi's redheaded cousin.  Seriously, watch the first arc and stop there.  After that things get dull (and violent).

Ai Yori Aoshi Enishi - silly sequel.  not worth watching.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2010, 04:14:21 AM by NotMiki »
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Twilkitri

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: May 22, 2010, 02:51:33 PM »
Space Adventure Cobra - The Movie

Uhhhh.

The goal of the main villains is to ram a man-made planet into the single sun in the galaxy. Which will somehow destroy the entire galaxy. They are doing this just to intimidate the other galaxies. Did I mention that they are a mafia syndicate with extensive holdings in this galaxy? Although to be fair, far more extensive holdings outside of this galaxy. The attack is also not reusable even if the planet survives for another hundred years at minimum, but I guess that the places intended for intimidation probably don't know that. That probably says everything that needs to be said.

Also some thoroughly unneccessary scenes such as when Cobra is practicing with the motion control of the psychogun, after which he speaks about how he doesn't know why he is bothering because it wouldn't work anyway. He goes on to use the psychogun a single time more in the movie and it's for a direct shot. Well that was worthwhile. Interestingly enough that shot is blocked bodily from hitting its intended target by the guy the gun doesn't work on. The guy the gun doesn't work on because the projected energy just goes straight through him. Terrific.

Miras has the worst 'traditions' ever if you can even call new queens being split into three people and recombined under certain conditions at a later date a 'tradition'.

All in all it is not the greatest movie I have ever seen. Also Cobra has a horribly mugging smile a lot of the time.

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: May 24, 2010, 09:35:41 AM »
Watched Baccano again, I don't know why, but I did. And it just reaffirmed one thing...
Claire chan!! 愛してるよ!!! 愛して愛して愛して....もう堪らない!!!! あああああ!! 貴方なら僕を殺してでもいいよ!! いや!! いやいやいや!!! 是非貴方が僕を殺したい, 殺してくださいぃぃぃ!!!!!
Ahhhh!! Narita, you should really publish a volume starring Claire chan alone!!! Ahhh how much I love you Claire chan!!! I can not resist the urge to write cross over doujin between you and Hitoshiki!! This is just too much!!!

Monochrome Kitan- Read this, and then I realized why yet another KH doujin artist went into hibernation.... Why? I thought you said you hate meeting deadlines? Whyyyyy!!???

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: June 06, 2010, 09:20:09 AM »
Watched the ToV movie......

....and what is wrong with Yuri and Flynn acting like some bickering newly wed??? Oh well, at least it feeds to my yaoi desires perfectly. But didn't expect Flynn to be such a hot head in the past, what made him become the Yuri dependent uke that he is now???

Also watched the new EVA movie, with better quality this time. What can I say, music is great, and goodies to unit 1 and 2 in future SRW. But whatever, what really makes me glee is that Kaworu is planning to marry Shinji for real.

Pyro

• Denizen
  • Mwahahaha
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: June 06, 2010, 10:21:38 AM »
Claire Stanfield is so manly, it wouldn't be gay. It would be Gar.

Anyways, watching Durarara and liking it. Not much else on the anime front right now. Wish Katanagatari and Bakemonogatari would get finished sooner rather than later but thems the breaks.

Fudozukushi

• Denizen
  • Born to hunt Death Knights
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: June 06, 2010, 01:48:31 PM »
Claire Stanfield is so manly, it wouldn't be gay. It would be Gar.

Anyways, watching Durarara and liking it. Not much else on the anime front right now. Wish Katanagatari and Bakemonogatari would get finished sooner rather than later but thems the breaks.

You should watch Ichiban no Daimaou.  Everyone should.  Because it is awesome.  Hahahahahahaha.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: June 06, 2010, 08:29:19 PM »
Finally watched Evangelion 2.0.

Was fun as hell. Characters being watered down is unfortunate (seems like they really are relying on people knowing the original), but the intensity makes up for it a little. Makes me wonder how this would have been as a series. Final verdict is 9/10. I have to dock the point for breezing through character development.

Don't read forward unless you want to be spoiled.

The characters are no longer NEARLY as flawed individuals, but... that could very well be on purpose, which I'll get into later.

The first half of the movie continues in the tradition of the first in rehashing the old series. Then Shinji's SDAT player jumps from it's classic 25-26 loop to track 27, and EVERYTHING CHANGES. For the good? Possibly. Hard to tell at this point. The finale was intense, but out of place for Evangelion sort of. But we're treading new ground here. Everything is new and dangerous territory. The next two movies should be really interesting to watch. To give you a hint, the Third Impact has already happened. Sort of.

I like the old series better at this point. Better character work and all. Ironic that it's harder to emphasize with the characters when they're actually more likable now. Rei has a lot more personality, Asuka isn't an unreasonable bitch-goddess, Shinji is... closest to his original state, but still better. Mari, the new pilot, is an unknown quantity at this point. She doesn't get much time or development, and seems to only exist for fanservice in this movie. Kaji is also ten times less awesome as he doesn't actually get to do anything so far.

And yet, there are massive hints that this has all happened before. Literally. Kaworu has been dropping lines that he remembers stuff that has happened from the TV series. At the end, he pilots an angelic, Eva-01esqe robot down from the moon and carries a SECOND Lance of Longinus, mentioning "This time, I will make you [Shinji] happy no matter what". So this actually may be a stealth sequel. If so, then the characters being slightly less flawed would make sense, as the instrumentality from the first show repaired them, but not quite enough. We'll see! There's so fucking much that could happen from this point out it's interesting to think about it.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:40:19 PM by Hunter Sopko »

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:49 PM »
All right, I don't want no spoilers, so let's keep this simple, Kev:  Good (Y/N)?

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: June 06, 2010, 08:40:52 PM »
Edited my original post to add things and pull out my non-spoiler thoughts of the movie.

But Y

Oh. The version I got was the sub out by Coalgirls. It was the only name I recognized among the hundreds of no-name quicksubs of the movie. Downloaded the 4.7 gig 720p version. Excellent quality and sub.

Also to give you a hint, I needed about two hours after the movie to process everything and decompress enough to even turn on my TV or accept any other kind of input.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2010, 08:45:06 PM by Hunter Sopko »

Niu

• Kitchen Knife
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • and Everyon's Hatred
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: June 07, 2010, 12:20:28 AM »
The characters are no longer NEARLY as flawed individuals, but... that could very well be on purpose, which I'll get into later.

The first half of the movie continues in the tradition of the first in rehashing the old series. Then Shinji's SDAT player jumps from it's classic 25-26 loop to track 27, and EVERYTHING CHANGES. For the good? Possibly. Hard to tell at this point. The finale was intense, but out of place for Evangelion sort of. But we're treading new ground here. Everything is new and dangerous territory. The next two movies should be really interesting to watch. To give you a hint, the Third Impact has already happened. Sort of.

I like the old series better at this point. Better character work and all. Ironic that it's harder to emphasize with the characters when they're actually more likable now. Rei has a lot more personality, Asuka isn't an unreasonable bitch-goddess, Shinji is... closest to his original state, but still better. Mari, the new pilot, is an unknown quantity at this point. She doesn't get much time or development, and seems to only exist for fanservice in this movie. Kaji is also ten times less awesome as he doesn't actually get to do anything so far.

And yet, there are massive hints that this has all happened before. Literally. Kaworu has been dropping lines that he remembers stuff that has happened from the TV series. At the end, he pilots an angelic, Eva-01esqe robot down from the moon and carries a SECOND Lance of Longinus, mentioning "This time, I will make you [Shinji] happy no matter what". So this actually may be a stealth sequel. If so, then the characters being slightly less flawed would make sense, as the instrumentality from the first show repaired them, but not quite enough. We'll see! There's so fucking much that could happen from this point out it's interesting to think about it.

Second? Are you sure?? I believe the one that Kaworu carries is the same one from TV series, the one got shoot into space. The one in Central Dogma should be the new spear that was made for this second loop. Also, the red area on the moon, could that be Rei's blood from the old movie?
BTW, Kaworu's bot should be unit-6 if my calculation is correct.

Anyway, the music is awesome, where they use The Beast is even more awesome. Just the paper isn't as cute this time, or should I say the paper got turned into ribbon this time??

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: June 07, 2010, 12:24:16 AM »

Second? Are you sure?? I believe the one that Kaworu carries is the same one from TV series, the one got shoot into space. The one in Central Dogma should be the new spear that was made for this second loop. Also, the red area on the moon, could that be Rei's blood from the old movie?
BTW, Kaworu's bot should be unit-6 if my calculation is correct.

Anyway, the music is awesome, where they use The Beast is even more awesome. Just the paper isn't as cute this time, or should I say the paper got turned into ribbon this time??

I more meant second as in a second numerical one, not as an actual name. It could be the one from the first, but the design is different. I'll have to go back and see what the original looks like after it's thrown, as it's design changes in mid-flight. The one sticking in Lilith now looks like the one from the original as well.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: June 07, 2010, 08:04:27 AM »
The Beast?  Or something else?

I can dream that it is true.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Bardiche

« Reply #1372 on: June 07, 2010, 11:08:02 PM »
Eva Movie.

Halfway I really just stared there. Inappropriate music. Knew what was coming.

Goddamnit that hit me hard.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: June 08, 2010, 03:58:33 AM »
Legend of Crystania OVA, in short: God Barbas throws a house party in Ashram's body.  Oh shit, daddy's home.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: June 08, 2010, 04:02:39 AM »
Legend of Crystania OVA, in short: God Barbas throws a house party in Ashram's body.  Oh shit, daddy's home.

Hahaha. Oh that crapfest.