Author Topic: DIE SUPER!!! - G'morning, 2009!  (Read 235776 times)

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
Re: Sunshine, lollipops and rainbows: G'morning, 2009!
« Reply #3050 on: November 07, 2009, 01:05:56 PM »
Yeah ;_;

Bread is ok but cheese ... you have to divide into matchbox like portions if you ever want to eat it and dairy products period are quite limited. Also other tortures such as 100 grams of chicken for a portion when chicken from the supermarket comes in portions of 500 grams >_> Bread I usually just restrict to two or four bits daily, dry or w/th a smidgeon of beef pate or low calorie jam.
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3051 on: November 07, 2009, 01:08:31 PM »
Jesus christ. Is this a medically prescribed diet or are you just trying to lose weight?

(Meanwhile, I'm off to buy yet another giant chocolate bar. What's with me no longer gaining significant weight one way or another? Maybe it's a prelude to diabetes)
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Clear Tranquil

• Garden of Innocence
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Your dreams shatter and burn! Punishing! Blossom!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3052 on: November 07, 2009, 01:20:45 PM »
Just trying to lose weight. Been to a doctor, never find them much help - they just tell me stuff I already know w/th regards to how are you eating/exercising/etc.

You are soooooo lucky - I've banned chocolate bars and crisps/potato crisps. Not that I ever totally gorged on those either but I used to have a few weekly! No more Mars Bars for CTs =(~
"A Yeul that loved to sing. A Yeul who wished to travel. A Yeul that collected flowers.... Every one of them was unique"

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3053 on: November 07, 2009, 01:25:10 PM »
Doubt it's luck - my metabolism used to be far less kind when I was a teenager. Nowadays, my weight is stable, but I walk a lot (about a mile and a half a day minimum due to work commute totalized, added with the weekly wing crossing for psych visits and whatever madness crops up in addition, like paying bills or running errands) and I also don't have a ton of appetite, stemming from smoking and often waking up after lunch hour - I periodically skip lunch due to lack of appetite in general.

EDIT:

Also, how often do you enter those diets? Even if they tell you things you already know, it's useful to know the effect those can have on your health (dieting is a dangerous way to lose weight, particularly since it doesn't involve the reeducation of eating habits unless you're very good at picking up the useful cues in the dietary changes - thus, it encourages a yo-yo effect on weight). Also, a good endocrinologist should be able to craft a regular diet that properly takes your body needs and absences into account. A person's diet is better tailormade. Also, if it's a persistent weight issue even if you eat healthily period and have been for a long time, you may want to see other problems there. My mother is one of the people with the best dietary habits I've ever seen and she has weight issues due to hormonal problems and some emotional problems.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 01:31:15 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3054 on: November 07, 2009, 02:41:36 PM »
Oof. Another Saturday morning, another shift running off eight hours sleep. Let's do this.

I suffer so.

And yeah, make sure you're actually eating enough food/calories CT. Your body can go into starvation mode if you're not getting enough.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3055 on: November 07, 2009, 02:57:42 PM »
Oof. Another Saturday morning, another shift running off eight hours sleep. Let's do this.

I suffer so.

Eight hours? That's where my body starts subtracting rest hours from sleep.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3056 on: November 07, 2009, 03:26:26 PM »
Sleep is always awesome, so I don't know what you're talking about.

Mmm, need to study slides today but am not motivated. I can go work on DL notes. I'll do that! (PS learn how to play spades/hearts Snow, I want to get some cards in today)
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3057 on: November 07, 2009, 03:45:04 PM »
You're such a whore. <_<

Which isn't to say I won't play Hearts!
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 03:52:55 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3058 on: November 07, 2009, 05:11:15 PM »
fuck Hearts.

We should play online poker instead!
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Xeroma

• SARDINES.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Vampire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3059 on: November 07, 2009, 06:39:59 PM »
Exercise and working your body are more important than limiting the kind of food you eat, generally speaking. Though you certainly shouldn't engorge yourself on nothing but junk food.

<@SageAcrin> Where you realize that, when you think about everything that's said about this person...
<@SageAcrin> It adds up to one thing.
<+Ranmilia> MEGA MAN PLOT

DjinnAndTonic

• Genie and Potion with Alcoholic Undertones
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • "When you wish upon a bar~"
    • View Profile
    • RPGDL Wiki
« Reply #3060 on: November 07, 2009, 06:43:14 PM »
Exercise and working your body are more important than limiting the kind of food you eat, generally speaking. Though you certainly shouldn't engorge yourself on nothing but junk food.

Unless you are Snow, apparently.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: November 07, 2009, 06:46:48 PM »
I don't engorge myself exclusively on junk food if only by default - my mother's cooking is very healthy.

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: November 07, 2009, 07:48:58 PM »
Yeah.  Exercise is far, far more important than dieting for losing pounds reasonably quick.  Before I left for Europe, I was on a fairly bohemian diet and still fairly hefty--175 lbs perhaps.  Then I walked everywhere with 30kg on my back for a month straight and dropped to 150, maybe lower; didn't weigh myself until I got back to the states.  I don't really monitor my food intake that well (and drink entirely too much beer besides), but 30 minutes of exercise at least 2 days a week keeps my metabolism up high enough that it doesn't matter that much.

Of course, nevermind that starting even a light exercise regimen is fucking lame until it becomes routine.  Best to find a reason other than exercise to exercise (find a friend to run/bike with, or do something fun that requires physical exertion). 

EDIT:  Or, do as snow does, and walk everywhere.  Even if you don't walk very far, if you just forgo using automobiles or public transportation when reasonable, it adds up quite a bit.  Biking does the same thing though you need to go further for similar results.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 07:53:04 PM by Makkotah »

Scar

• Arriba!
  • Denizen
  • Let the Disco Begin!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: November 07, 2009, 08:09:02 PM »
Find a fuck buddy.

That's fun and it's a good way to work out the entire body.

~

But, it's funny you guys mention how working out is more important then eating right. My sister is some crazy model, body builder, fitness nut and she has always told me the opposite. Go figure.
"It took hundreds to kill me, but I killed by the thousands."

RPGDL Fantasy Football 2010 Champion

Cotigo

• Jerkface
  • Denizen
  • Yoo-hoo, Mr. Tentacle Guy...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: November 07, 2009, 08:49:24 PM »
Well, you answered your own conundrum with that one.  She's already had a very high metabolism, I'm sure, from always having been in shape.  In that case, of course dieting's more important, as exercising MOAR won't make your body use that much more energy, and regulating intake is about all that would affect her weight. 

For someone who doesn't exert themselves physically ever, raising your metabolism is far more important since regulating intake won't do much if you're still putting more energy into your body than it uses.

Of course, I could be wrong, but it makes sense to me.  Blah blah blah anecdotal evidence whatever I'm not writing a paper.

EDIT:  Not to say it doesn't help.  When I ate as much as I used to in high school, I was perhaps 190 lbs, so there was a drop from eating less, just not as large of one as that caused by exercise.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 08:51:46 PM by Makkotah »

OblivionKnight

• Boom! Big reveal: I'm a pickle. What do you think about that?
  • Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • I'm Pickle Rick!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: November 07, 2009, 10:05:12 PM »
Find a fuck buddy.

Surprisingly true advice.  Sex (that lasts more than 2 seconds) is very good cardio.  Very good for the whole body in general, male and female (or any combination).  

It's why oral sex sucks.

WARNING: OK HEALTH RANT INCOMING

Weight gain is mediated by an equation:

Caloric intake - Caloric expenditure = Caloric Net

Basically, if you want to lose weight, you need to reduce your caloric net gain.  A caloric change about 3000-3500 calories = 1 pound, so, it figures, expending that many calories would make you lose 1 pound.  It's a bit more complicated than that (diseases, what you eat, etc.), but works as a generalization.  There are two ways to modify that equation = eat less or be more active.  This is why most places will recommend weight loss diets of 1500-1800 calories, so you lose on average about 1-3 pounds (average: 2) per week.  

In terms of speed, dropping caloric intake will drop your weight fastest.  Starvation does that.  The problem with this is that it is not durable - when you stop eating, your body will go in to starvation mode, and drop metabolism to conserve energy for the important organs.  This means that, when you do start eating, your body stores faster and a larger portion of energy than normal.  Increasing activity, on the other hand, is a very slow initial process (starts off very slow, and you'll actually gain weight initially - this is muscle, though, and you'll notice your pants fit better even as you gain weight), but ups the metabolism, which helps the durability of it.  The key point here is that you need to combine both.  In some way.  Thirty minutes of cardio is good - do it 3 times a week or more.  

In terms of food and decreasing what you eat, you need to be exceptionally careful.  Cooking is the lifeblood of weight loss via diet, as 90% of the stuff you find premade is rather craptastic.  

FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, READ THE GODDAMNED NUTRITION LABELS IF YOU ARE SERIOUS

Just because it says "low fat" does not mean it's healthy, or even low in calories.  You have to look at serving size as well - I'm not sure about Britain, but in the United States, take a look at the Marie Callender's Pot Pie in the frozen section.  On the surface, it looks ok - 800 calories for a pie.  But you need to realize that one pot pie is 2 servings - 1600 calories for what most people would eat for Lunch.  It's retarded.  That kills your entire day, effectively.  Most of the low fat and "light" stuff is awful - they add extra sugar or boost the calories or some other vile, esoteric trick.  

This is not to say that low fat is necessarily bad, but it's for a different reason.  Low salt, low fat, low cholesterol, low sugar, etc., are all for medical conditions to prevent exacerbations.  And not all of them are perfect either.  

Having been exceptionally fat and dropped down a lot (320-ish back in 11th grade - God, only 8 years ago), I can emphasize with frustration at this.  It is not easy.  A few tips:

- Saiety is important.  When in doubt, add more protein and fibre to your diet.  Fibre is good, protein is good (lean protein - chicken, fish, alligator, rabbit, etc.).  You say a 3-oz piece of chicken is too little - if it's lean, add more of that, cut down on the worse stuff (stuffing, heavy carbohydrate things, etc.).  
- I would highly recommend against cutting things out entirely from your diet.  From personal experience, you are far more likely to gorge.  Do it in moderation - one day a week, you can have a small piece of cake or something.  Besides, part of food is fun from eating it!  You have to enjoy it (and people wonder why I was fat >_>)
- Eat breakfast, and split your food up into smaller amounts each day (for instance, 200 calories at 700, 400 around 1100, 400 around 1400, 600 around 1700) - it helps keep your metabolism good and going, and keeps you awake - massive meals make you tired.  
- Eat slower.  Ideally, you should eat over 20-30 minutes, because your body is dumb and doesn't realize it's eaten too much until a lot of time has passed.
- Water.  Lots of water.  If your urine is not clear, you need more water.  Not soda.  Not juice.  Water.
- Eat out rarely.  Most places are awful for portion control.  Even on "healthy" things like salads.  Cooking is sexy.
- Don't eat late.  Ideally eat before 2000 at night.  Especially if you want to exercise at night.  

I don't want to ramble too much, so if you have any other questions, please feel free to ask me.  
« Last Edit: November 07, 2009, 10:08:29 PM by OblivionKnight »
[11:53] <+Meeple_Gorath> me reading, that's a good one

[19:26] * +Terra_Condor looks up. Star Wars Football, what?
[19:27] <+Terra_Condor> Han Kicks First?
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Vader intercepts.
[19:27] <%Grefter-game> Touchdown and Alderaan explodes in the victory

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: November 07, 2009, 10:20:36 PM »
Trust OK. He's a doctor.

Ultradude

• White Void, Cold Steel, OUCH FUCKING VAMPIRES
  • Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: November 08, 2009, 12:42:22 AM »
Well I would say something but instead I'll just enthusiastically point at OK.

Trust me, I'm athletic! I'm at about the same place as Scar's sister, if not quite as extreme, and I know that my diet is why I put on weight after high school. A lot of that coming from late eating. Because I also loev teh fuds.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: November 08, 2009, 01:18:00 AM »
- Water.  Lots of water.  If your urine is not clear, you need more water.  Not soda.  Not juice.  Water.

This one is particularly underrated, I feel. Water is utterly crucial to your body (you can spend weeks without eating before dying. Less than two days without water get you killed), and it does very good things to your body when consumed wisely. Never say no to your thirst when it kicks in: drink a glass of water when your body asks for it. Water is also surprisingly effective as a cleanser, but do -not- drink if your body doesn't show signs of thirst just for the effects - people died by drinking way too much water before. The fact that I drink a lot of water (this is natural - I'm often thirsty, I like drinking water and all. Smoking makes me drink even more water to boot - I inevitably feel thirsty after a cigarette) probably helps keeping my health in check, even in spite of so many bad habits.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: November 08, 2009, 01:48:21 AM »
Dammit my throat.

I went to the Pennsylvania cross country state championships to root on some younger guys I knew from running in high school. Which was cool, because two of the aweseomest guys who graduated a year after me did the same, so there was much catching up with them and the coach - one goes to Ithaca college, which apparently smells of marijuana across the whole campus.

Anyways, my throat. I tried cheering for our runners as loudly as my dad. You'll probably never really know, but this is never a good idea, because he is capable of feats unknown to man outside of the realm of oddball video game characters (this may be hyperbole guys!).

The good thing is that the team standings ended up with us at 4th overall in the AAA division, the highest in the state, which is really, really good. We could've had 3rd if our star runner hadn't been having an off day (he still finished 20th out of well over 100), though we did have our second best guy in 10th. Then I came home and slept for a few hours, because 5 hours or so on the road + 3+ hours of standing around or running to cheer people on at multiple points can suck. Still well worth it.
"Turning into bats? Laughable!" says sparkly telepathic Volvo-driving vampire who spent century in high school.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: November 08, 2009, 02:11:33 AM »
one goes to Ithaca college, which apparently smells of marijuana across the whole campus.

Not particularly... not when I went there at least. But it feels like it should.

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: November 08, 2009, 02:20:11 AM »
Obviously you're already too used to it. Then again, this guy does like to embellish tales just a bit.

Oh and there's some guy there who walks around staring vacantly and plucking at a ukulele. The story he told was that the guy did waaaay too much LSD.

NotMiki

• Denizen
  • Social Justice McNinja
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: November 08, 2009, 03:22:48 AM »
Dude, hate to break it to you, but Ithaca, for its many virtues, is not that exciting.
Rocky: you do know what an A-bomb is, right?
Bullwinkle: A-bomb is what some people call our show!
Rocky: I don't think that's very funny...
Bullwinkle: Neither do they, apparently!

Ultradude

• Denizen
  • I AM THE etc.etc.etc.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: November 08, 2009, 03:59:45 AM »
Dude, hate to break it to you, but Ithaca, for its many virtues, is not that exciting.

Well yeah, a trippy dude and occasional weird smells are not really much.

Hunter Sopko

• Heavily in Debt
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Hai, Kazuma-desu
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: November 08, 2009, 04:14:16 AM »
Plus your friend never had to deal with Seth. Lucky bastard.