Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410557 times)

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (Final Release - Download here!)
« Reply #1200 on: January 28, 2010, 10:05:05 PM »
Blood Suck from the bag keeps you in control of the character (and they can't use the Blood Suck ability) until or unless you put them on one of the auto-battle settings, yes.  Not intentional, just an unavoidable glitch with how the status works. 

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #1201 on: January 28, 2010, 10:31:55 PM »
Poach analysis:

Chocobo: Nothing even remotely broken here.
Goblins: Easy way to get Assassin Daggers at start of C3. It's a 3 WP jump from Platina, and only a 1 WP jump from the storebought dagger after the Orbonne sequence, plus daggers aren't exactly broken weapons.
Bombs: Scorpion Tails are abusable. But they only come off Explosives, and only a few classes use flails (the only really offensive one is Ninja). You can get a totally absurd Ninja if you go and poach two of these, yes, but it's not THAT bad, also considering how many nerfs they got in other areas.
Panthers: FS Bag is gimmick, not broken.
Squids: Books are woefully underused. I have no issue with getting one a chapter early. Dracula Mantles are very nice, but a defensive accessory rather than an offensive one, which generally get less mileage, plus they're on the third tier monster.
Skeletons: Have yet to see anyone even use the improved Cursed Ring! Ivory Rod is cool but hardly broken.
Ghosts: Early Ice Brands are nice, but you could get them in normal FFT too and they're actually nerfed (1 less WP). Vanish Mantles are only abusable if doing a full-party strategy, and Muramasas can do the same thing.
Flotiballs: Early Reflect Mails are double-edged. They certainly make heavy armor classes more viable from the raw HP gain, but you've got to deal with the reflect, too, and heavy armor could use the help honestly. Zorlin Shapes are overpowered this early, but Plagues are not overly common (Scorpion Tails still beat them for potential broken on Ninjas, and I'm not worried about Thieves being too good).
Birds: Yep, you can get a super easy Gastrafitis. Yes, this doesn't bother me, because crossbows don't get used enough and there aren't even any rare crossbows. Ultimus and Yoichi are slick and encourage using lategame Archer, which again does not bother me (getting people to break out of old FFT stigmas).
Pigs: Still absurdly rare till C4, so not really a factor. Chantage doesn't come off them anymore either.
Trees: Only the Whale Whisker is notable; the other two weapons are kinda niche. Does make stick beetz Oracle great for a while, but that's one class that requires them to get into near melee range.
Minotaurs: Katanas are still kinda crappy weapons even if you're getting the endgame WP. Kikuichimojis break, so you have to stock these up to make the ability viable early on (and was the most nerfed Draw Out by far). Holy Lances were always common poaches. Mace of Zeus is more awesome than broken.
Morbols: See Squids about books, plus they're considerably rarer than squids.
Behemoths: C4 monster
Dragons: Defender being available is GOOD as it means Knight Swords actually exist before C4 (there's also one stealable at the end of C3 added by LFT). Dragon Rods are a shiny Wizard Rod, also a C3 weapon. Dragon Whiskers make Lancers broken for this stretch, but Red Dragons are not the most common sight ever and you could, again, pull off the same in vanilla FFT.
Hydras: C4 monster
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1202 on: January 28, 2010, 10:50:12 PM »
Skeletons: Have yet to see anyone even use the improved Cursed Ring! Ivory Rod is cool but hardly broken.

I got a ton of milage out of the cursed ring. I got one (Well two, but that was me being patient and resetting a lot) at the end of C2 and it's a great accessory. speed plus movement up? Yes please.
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Lopen

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1203 on: January 28, 2010, 11:02:06 PM »
Possible I just lucked out then.  My core party included a Ninja, a Lancer, and an Archer and I effortlessly picked up the good bows/flail/lance pretty early on here.  I guess poaching just played to the stuff I naturally picked up.

Cursed Ring is awesome by the way.  Well worth turning undead (which isn't a terrible drawback anyway) for all those stats.

Also:  

Blood Suck from the bag keeps you in control of the character (and they can't use the Blood Suck ability) until or unless you put them on one of the auto-battle settings, yes.  Not intentional, just an unavoidable glitch with how the status works.

Well actually it's only the first turn they get, as I said.  Anyway, it's kind of a feature more than a glitch at this point.  Having a blood sucked unit with high speed would be near instant death for you if you didn't have one of the ribbons on (since I think that's the only way to get protection from Blood Suck now.)  

Oh and speaking of Dragons why do the vanilla dragons have 0 move?  I'm assuming that's intentional?  But it's... weird.  

EDIT:  Well, actually, according to the documentation it's not.  Weird glitch that one.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1204 on: January 29, 2010, 01:03:29 AM »
Also there seems to be a glitch with Blood Suck from the bag where you get the first turn in control of them if your speed is high enough.  I guess that always existed, though, as I can't see any glitch you guys could've introduced to control that.  Maybe it's intended as it's actually useful anyway to get the vampire away from your crew with the first move as it's annoying having your vampire blood suck all your guys. 

Working as intended. (>____>)

The vampire should be controllable as long as they're not targetted by anything.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

TRC

• New User
    • View Profile
« Reply #1205 on: January 29, 2010, 10:13:28 PM »
I was looking over the stat sheets, and I must ask, why don't any of the magic classes have good MA growth? Unless there is something I don't understand about this patch, all that does is make it so you gain essentially no benefit from leveling in a mage class. The MP growth does not make up for the lack of PA that you would gain in another class, while still having the same about of MA.
~TRC

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1206 on: January 29, 2010, 10:25:55 PM »
Mainly because FFT had it set that way and I was too apathetic about stat growths to change it dramatically.

In a vacuum I wouldn't object to making all mages 40 MA growth or something I guess, but it honestly matters so little.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1207 on: February 03, 2010, 01:33:26 AM »
Yeah, honestly I'd be happy to overhaul stat growth, but I'd want to take it in one of two directions:

1. Make everyone the same stat growth so you don't have to worry about it.
2. Make stat growth actually matter instead of being this completely outshadowed for relevance by other mechanics.

Laggy didn't like #1 very much; I'd still happily back it, for the record.  (With maybe a couple of exceptions like keep Mime as their balance depends partially on their stat growth owning).

#2 has a number of serious problems--like there's nothing in-game that tells you about stat growth, so making stat growth decisions important seemed rather unfair.  Not to mention, FFT's stat growth is weird--it matters several times more at low levels than high levels, which means if you are going to use it, you must have your entire character planned out, and can't just go wherever you want on the job tree.

Though yeah, like I said I'd still support #1.  I think we kept it close to the original as LFT's supposed to feel close to the original (although it's definitely more homogonized since several classes whose growth sucked were made pretty average).

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1208 on: February 03, 2010, 03:56:02 AM »
Wouldn't really have an issue with making PA growth 50 and speed growth 100 across the board. The variable HP and MP I actually do not mind.

That said it's pretty bloody minor all things said.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1209 on: February 04, 2010, 03:42:40 PM »
That said it's pretty bloody minor all things said.
Well yeah, I remember when we lowered the Ninja speed growth by 10, and...none of the enemy Ninjas in the game lost a speed point.  (If we lowered it by 20 then I think a couple of the Ninja fights would become easier, though...).

PA I'll grant you is a bit obnoxious, since very early on the range is 75 to 40.  If you gain 10 levels in Chemist early on, you probably don't want to make that character a PA-based fighter.  Then again, the terrible Chemist MP growth means that character will hardly be the perfect mage, either.

Buuuut...what this means in practice is that smart players don't go to Chemist first; they come back to Chemist at a higher level when stat growth matters less.  ...Actually, I'd almost rather the reward system be the other way around--have people choose between good Chemist stat growth early, or returning to Chemist later when they have guns.  (Instead of having all signs point to "skip chemist early on" making the choice obvious)

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #1210 on: February 04, 2010, 04:02:53 PM »
Offhand I am fairly opposed to making drastic changes to the stat growth (such as the high-growth chemist, even though I like the idea in theory) because there's no way to document it in-game, and I dislike telling players they need to use a FAQ for a hack. As such, only really three ideas I'd support in regards to growth.

(1) Keep it as is.
(2) Make everyone 11/11/50/50/100.

or, to present an idea which is actually somewhat new:

(3) Change all the growths so that they correspond with the multipliers. (Pretty intuitive, I think - I know a few games actually do this.)

For instance (these could be tinkered with):

HPGrowth = 20 - HPMult/10
MPGrowth = 20 - MPMult/10
PAGrowth = 70 - PAMult/4
MAGrowth = 70 - MAMult/4
SpeedGrowth = 200 - SpeedMult

Though again I suspect this may be an idea that I like less in practice than on paper.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1211 on: February 04, 2010, 05:40:54 PM »
(3) Change all the growths so that they correspond with the multipliers. (Pretty intuitive, I think - I know a few games actually do this.)

For instance (these could be tinkered with):

HPGrowth = 20 - HPMult/10
MPGrowth = 20 - MPMult/10
PAGrowth = 70 - PAMult/4
MAGrowth = 70 - MAMult/4
SpeedGrowth = 200 - SpeedMult

Though again I suspect this may be an idea that I like less in practice than on paper.
Not a bad idea, but it'd probably require us to scrap our current class balance and re-do every class' mults.

(Also, we run the risk of weird corner cases.  HPC of 0 for Mimes, for instance >_>).

Although...if we want a formula without risks of any weird cases we can just do:

HPGrowth = 10*(100/HPMult)
MPGrowth = 10*(100/MPMult)
PAGrowth = 50*(100/PAMult)
MAGrowth = 50*(100/MAMult)
SpGrowth = 100*(100/SpMult)

Makes it so that the people with good stat growth aren't so astronomically good.  Granted, does mean the people with bad stats stand out more in their bad stat growthness (200 SpC for calcs instead of 150 under the previous suggestion).  Ehh....
« Last Edit: February 04, 2010, 05:42:44 PM by metroid composite »

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1212 on: February 04, 2010, 09:43:46 PM »
I would say going with making all growths universal would be the ideal for balance reasons, but leaving it as it is leaves the FFT flavour to it.  I think you guys really have done enough at this point.  Leave the final patch as the final patch and let Laggy start modding Hoshi.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1213 on: February 04, 2010, 10:40:43 PM »
I would say going with making all growths universal would be the ideal for balance reasons, but leaving it as it is leaves the FFT flavour to it.  I think you guys really have done enough at this point.  Leave the final patch as the final patch and let Laggy start modding Hoshi.
Modding Hoshi would only be a worthwhile project if it's possible to mod the music.  Otherwise I still wouldn't touch it.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1214 on: February 04, 2010, 10:42:16 PM »
In that case, get him cracking on Pokélaggy RBY.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #1215 on: February 04, 2010, 10:53:57 PM »
Oh god...  MC, did you really need to bring that up...  I can't get it out of my head now...  and it burns!

Taishyr

« Reply #1216 on: February 05, 2010, 12:09:26 AM »
In that case, get him cracking on Pokélaggy RBY.

Only if he can make the phys/special split (yes, this is why I favorite D/Pe/Pt). Otherwise, um... HACK 7TH SAGA

Dunefar

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Wuffy-wuff-wuff!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1217 on: February 05, 2010, 03:24:37 AM »
I second any and all Laggy hacking of 7th Saga.
* Infinite_Ko_Loop is now known as Ko-CidisnotaPrincess
<Nephrite> That is depressing.
<CmdrKing> I know.  Cid would makea  great princess.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1218 on: February 05, 2010, 03:30:00 AM »
Honestly, I'm still waiting for the Danmaku game from Laggy (he has the engine and all that).

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1219 on: February 05, 2010, 03:33:26 AM »
Subterranean Laggyism, then?
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #1220 on: February 05, 2010, 04:23:24 AM »
I'd play it.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1221 on: February 05, 2010, 05:00:28 AM »
Subterranean Laggyism, then?

SA is easily the closest game I've played to flawless.  Not really much to improve on.  No, as I understand it, Laggy was working on an entirely new game, writing spellcards from scratch.

Taishyr

« Reply #1222 on: February 05, 2010, 05:16:04 AM »
That'd be shiny.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #1223 on: February 05, 2010, 05:25:55 AM »
that is so not happening because I don't know how to math spellcards out

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1224 on: February 05, 2010, 07:31:35 AM »

YOU HAVE A POCKET CALCULATOR.

Edit - CT5Holy

Edit 2 - The more I think about that the more horrifying it is.  You would have a game full of mc mathed out flower bombs in a crazy technicolour blur.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:33:18 AM by Grefter »
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.