Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410664 times)

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #950 on: October 28, 2009, 01:00:42 AM »
I think Charm should be renamed "Sexual Harrassment"  

You can have a quote from a sex offender there.  I think it would work.  

"Now...take off your pants for me!"

This.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

dude789

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #951 on: October 28, 2009, 03:02:30 AM »
I think Charm should be renamed "Sexual Harrassment" 

You can have a quote from a sex offender there.  I think it would work. 

"At this moment...remove your loins for me!"

Edited for World of the Lions translation.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #952 on: October 28, 2009, 04:47:09 AM »
Anyway, regarding the Slow Dance debate - remember that Dance animations border on outrageously long especially if there are many enemies or mimes, so I'd be against lower CT from a playability standpoint.
Ehh...the one we came to towards the end was "original speed/percentages of Slow Dance" which means there's FOUR dances that are more frequent than it (and only two that are slower).

Oh side note: currently the skillset is not spread out at all for CT.  It's 6, 6, 6, 6, 10, 10, 15.  While making one of those 10s a 6 (as I originally suggested) would frankly make the CT diversity even crappier, making one of those 10s an 8 WOULD help with CT diversity.

Don't get me wrong--I'm familiar with the failings of dance animation, but the speeds that have been suggested are pretty par-for-the-course for Dance.  Furthermore, from another usability viewpoint: dances with loooong charge times mean that later in the game you end up waiting a turn before the Dance even goes off once, which in and of itself strikes me as a serious usability issue too.

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile
« Reply #953 on: October 28, 2009, 08:10:25 PM »
Progress!

Araguay:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2ZhghbMeJNI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-0GuNvfeWNM
Did some propositions for cash and JPs.  Unlocked Bard and Dancer in the process and got Mime from the previous battle.  Much abuse ensues.

Zirekile:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=npCYMh1tLY8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezHTcc8qmWo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVbuI1BJmv8
Since Nameless Dance adds Undead now, I got to cure a knight to get through that annoying defense... and then mime cure another knight at the same time.  This makes the addition totally worth it.

Zaland (save Mustadio):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztYSg_20jZ4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTYEemy_Siw
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47r_B0lQIl8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yriBhO3YQk4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCSwuFkJl7s
Man, I really wanted that crystal...  Anyway, more Undead triggered and then Mustadio used Seal Evil.  Awesome.  Zombie is the best status ever.

Bariaus:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Y3YhoRbYM8
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Myo-5jWCV8E
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1dV_XWyxX-0
Not much interesting here.  That jerk lancer blocked my Charge +10 knife to the face.

Tried the next map, wiped because that much 100% status and range and 2HKO and the terrain being whorish is evil.

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #954 on: October 28, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »
The Olan Show feat. Olan

Red Chocobo+Morbol+Gust. Charge+1 is an Oracle. Status and meteors for all, hardly even noteworthy. Highlight was Archer Ramza critting Hal off the roof to his death with a glorious shot.

ZALMO LUSNADA, HERESY EXAMINER!!! REPENT!!

Red Chocobo+Morbol+Gust. Choco Meteor and Thief Ramza in an assassination mission...yeah he didn't stand a chance. Heretics 1, Zalmo 0.

Unlimited Book Works floor something

1 reset. Red Chocobo+Morbol+Ghoul. Ramza got Samurai upon arrival, which I stick him to from now on. Ghoul I go to after the reset because reliable Shadow Stitch is just that much better than unreliable Sleep Touch. Lancers are pure evil, Armor Break proc vs monsters is just not fair. Ramza runs around physical OHKOing and Asuraing the fleshies with Red Choc on mop-up support while I status out Lancers. Alexchan drops a delicious crystal with Auto-Potion and Ramza opens it with faith, making me very happy. Time Mages kind of fail in their choice of actions, I manage to redirect a Stop among other things.

Unlimited Book Works floor Why do you go against us, Dauragon C. Beoulve?

Red Chocobo+Morbol+Ghoul. Charge+1 unlocks Calculator, providing Death snipes once a year when she gets a turn. I systematically destroy everything on the map except Knights until Izlude finally decides to spend some time on the ground. Tense finish, percentages don't really go my way but I manage to knock him to crit with just Ramza and Red Choc alive.

Unlimited Book Works floor 'Meager'

Something in the neighborhood of 10 resets here. Winning party combination is Red Chocobo+Morbol+Bomb, with Charge+1 temporarily back to Oracle in order to get a turn. Wiegraf runs in, guns down Bomb and causes grievous injury to the Chocobo. Then I must get reasonably lucky with a few chances to burn him down before the rest of my team dies. Shock, katana swing, stick thwack, tentacles, chocometeor. One of those may have missed, I forget. But victory, regardless.

"You know, now that we know our foe is extremely deadly, we should try to kill him instead of running"

Red Chocobo+Morbol+Ghoul. Charge+1 back to Calculator for the foreseeable future. Grog Hill is a simple enough murderfest for the most part, but the last two chemists manage to stall me for like 10 minutes. Le sigh.

Rafa Plot City

Red Chocobo+Morbol+Ghoul. Charge+1 dying causes one reset. Second attempt is a straightforward death march through the map with Morbol providing support as even Rafa does her part in killing things in a timely manner. Red Chocobo crystallizes, I shrug and grab a Blue Dragon in the next random.

Yugioh Woods

Something like 5 resets. Way too much debilitating status, argh. Blue Dragon+Ghoul+Morbol. Anyway, Bizen Boat(!) charging mages, Lick units who have a spell charged on them, finally successfully status a few other things, and the tide of the battle turns. Blue Dragon manages to seriously unimpress me with that damage, though.

Riovanes Gate

Blue Dragon+Ghoul+Morbol. Ramza, Dragon and Rafa make short work of the knight at the gate. Rafa gets show down and takes Malak with her. Ghoul gets shot down. I take Ramza down to the water to invite the Knight with the shiny defender, then regroup Ramza, Morbol and Calc to the grass while Blue Dragon and the invited Knight go up the wall to wreak havoc among the archers. After buffing up, I keep Calc in the far corner for further buffs, while Ramza and Morbol move up while enduring arrows. Ghoul actually undead reanimates for once, and the rest of the battle is slaughter. I do invite one of the archers to compensate for the armor that was broken off me, though.

Dauragon C. Beoulve vs. the inferior Folles

*Lightning Stab* *undead* *Auto-Potion* *gameover* Well, I knew the risks. I keep trying until I get it right because I want AutoPotion for Velius (where it proceeds to NOT MATTER)

Space Goat Demon

The new Knight is introduced to the party. Morbol+Blue Dragon for monsters. Several resets. I just settle for blitzing Velius eventually because I can not sustain the team at all, Ramza does over 700 damage total and Blue Dragon assists with one breath.

Roof of Riovanes

1 reset. A historical occasion! This is the first time I have ever seen an assassin go directly for Rafa's throat before anyone got a turn. Anyone, second time, I bring the Calc to the group down below, which compels the Assassins to charge Ultima down below. I waltz up to one and smite.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #955 on: October 28, 2009, 09:07:48 PM »
Yugioh Woods

Something like 5 resets.

I'd say this is utterly and outstandingly alien to me, but then I remember you're playing Ramzalene Ketchum LFT and Choco Cure just ain't cutting it for the zombieslaughter.
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #956 on: October 28, 2009, 09:16:36 PM »
Maybe you missed Halstream but he had more resets on that than Tonfa did.

Yugioh Woods are scary!
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #957 on: October 28, 2009, 09:23:36 PM »
Maybe you missed Halstream but he had more resets on that than Tonfa did.

Yugioh Woods are scary!

I guess that my glasses might be rose-tinted due to my healing/status whoring dynamic magician OTP. Anton and Nena (besides mage Ramza, although the sheer overkill of the Counter Magic'd Cure 4 in a field full of ghosts turned it hilarious) made mincemeat of that fight.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #958 on: October 29, 2009, 11:13:21 PM »
Some random pass somewhere

Faceless generics exist for stealing stuff from!

Ramza vs. My name is Meliadoul Tingel, you killed my brother, prepare to die.

One reset here due to enemies being whores.  Meliadoul herself breaks shit because I didn't bother with Maintainence.

Ramza vs. the incredible flying chocosage

Breather battle.

Ramza vs. ZALMO LUSNADA, HERESY EXAMINER!  Round 2!

One reset because the samurais took out both revivers with Draw Out, so I had to blitz.  A strategy that depended on Delita not being useless.  Guess what.  He decided to be useless at the last second.  Second time went much better.

Ramza vs. FUCK YOU BALK

Yeah.  One reset because the battle devolved into a battle of attrition which I was rapidly losing.  Second time went much better.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #959 on: October 31, 2009, 01:51:53 AM »
10/30 patch: So Adramelk doesn't cause your game to freeze.
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #960 on: October 31, 2009, 02:38:55 PM »
Doguola Pass - This May As Well Be Halloween

Um, this is about as trivial as it gets. Bunch of losers bunched up and madly yearning to pile up onto Junk the Ninja = Wizard Eva sez hi with 108 Gems SC Leviathan. Meanwhile, Timothy takes care of the lone Monk downstairs with his dualwielding Ice Brand mastery and Ramza snipes the male Priest with Flare. I also savestate-abuse for twenty seconds to Invite the Samurai for luls, swipe his equipment and boot him out.

Free City Bervenia - Meliadoul: Surprisingly Flammable (Alternate Title: Where Cmdr Is Stripped Naked For Science)

Both statements in the title = true. First move was savestate-abusing Invite to recruit CK for no particular reason (I'm so not relying on 20% odds in plot battles for -that- level of dicking around, especially one as potentially nasty as this. <_< However, Inviting has been the only thing I've ever used savestates in-battle for, and that was twice the whole game counting -this-). Summoner and Ninja swarm kekekekekeke is potentially -very- scary, and bringing the Oracle and the Priest for this was a very poor idea offensively (bringing Timothy wasn't bright either), but Meliadoul is suicidal and Ramza effectively 2HKOs her with Fire 3 => Fire 2 anyway, so I have Anton Reraise Ramza and go to town. One of the summoners drops a Titan that kills Nena and CK dead, and Anton/Timothy just pick up leftovers while Ramza chips Meli down - this has to go quickly. Meli predictably kills Ramza after the first Fire casting, busting his robe (she also had crushed Alicia's armor), and Reraise kicks in in a timely fashion - timely enough for him to finish the job. After the fight, I ingloriously strip CK naked (yay free equipment) and boot the tranny's ass in short order. Higher levels are nice, but I like building my units' skillsets more intelligently than what it had.

EDIT: Also, equipment breaking is pretty trivial when basically everything you care about is storebought. Bound to change when I hit the aftergame, but man.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2009, 02:54:46 PM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Talaysen

• Ara ara~
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
  • Ufufu~
    • View Profile

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #962 on: October 31, 2009, 11:55:24 PM »
The Saga of OK: The Incredible Flying Chemist of Germinas Peak

Steamrolled.  Even with the nerf to Excalibur, Cid kills things very, very dead.  Wizard and Ramza chip in a bit.

Oh, great.  More undead.

Boringness, outside of the whoracles spaming Confuse Song.

Limberry Gates

Blah blah rush an Assassin blah.  Oh and Ramza learned Ultima, for whatever that's worth.

Ramza vs. Elmdor, or why Blood Suck is a horrible idea

Okay, I set off to steal Elmdor's swag, but he Blood Sucks Ramza early in, as well as my Ninja shortly after.  As a result, I was only able to 3/5 of his stuff before he was drained of his precious bodily fluids.

Ramza vs. GEMINI PRISM POWER, MAKE UP!

Zalera decided to be an utter whore, frogging a bunch of people (who happened to be the only ones who could reliably get rid of it, figures), so the battle came down to whether Cid could beat Zalera's face in before people started crystalizing.  Thanks to a lucky HE crit and a confused knight, he did.  The fact that most of my generics were Libras and hence had good compat didn't help matters much.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #963 on: November 01, 2009, 06:05:19 AM »
So, I've started one too!

Doing a WA4 theme playthrough. No absolutely fixed rules on the characters, but... yeah, going to try to play them to role.

Jude (Ramza): Capricorn, 70 Br 70 Fa
Yulie: Cancer, 54 Br 70 Fa
Arnaud: Virgo, 57 Br 67 Fa
Raquel: Pisces, 63 Br 67 Fa

Check out my awesome internal zodiac! (Everyone is Best with someone and Good with someone.) Ciato points out that Arnaud's Brave should be lower and of course she is correct, but oh well.

Nothing to say about the first two battles.

Mandalia Plains

Raquel is a Squire with the Mithril Knife, everybody else practices CHEMISTRY. Battle is certainly harder, and Jude gets caught out too far and dies. Since he's the only one with revival, I think I'm in trouble, but Delita to the rescue. Ultimately not too scary.

Sweegy Woods

Arnaud swipes the Small Mantle, obviously! He proceeds to never dodge once during the next two fights. :( I buy a Power Wrist for Raquel. I switch Jude to Archer in order to learn Equip Bow, and he equips a Crossbow since that's, like, kind of a gun. Unfortunately the Bow-Gun is still pretty wussy. Yulie goes Priest, because duh. Raquel swipes Algus' Long Sword. Anyway, Sweegy monsters are certainly scary, even having a couple PCs with Heal isn't a sure bet. Delita and Algus are effective enough to lean on, though. Accumulate Raquel 2HKOs things, other PCs are somewhat less effective on damage. Anyway, I'm able to stay on top of this one well enough, and mercifully, when I kill a Bomb, he doesn't self-destruct upon getting up.

Afterwards I wipe to a random Chocobo x2 Red Panther x2 Red Goblin. Very, very close fight which I think I've won, but then Jude gets charmed and revives a chocobo and I barely, by 2 clockticks, fail to revive Yulie before she dies. Yeah, Yulie being the one to die surprises everyone!

Laggy: Fix the CT description of Wish, it says 5 when it should be 7.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #964 on: November 01, 2009, 01:57:13 PM »
It got changed to 5 actually.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #965 on: November 01, 2009, 02:24:03 PM »
Clearly you need to misrepresent it then as that is the true FFT spirit.
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #966 on: November 01, 2009, 03:53:01 PM »
Orrr I could have changed the documentation to 5 but forgot to change the CT which is why NEB was probably thinking it was a mistake.

SIGH

Luther Lansfeld

• Global Moderator
  • Denizen
  • Her will demands it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #967 on: November 01, 2009, 05:25:35 PM »
Is it just me or is EPSXE really really bad? Every time I try to configure things, it stops recognizing my video card as well as my BIOS and I have been reinstalling the emulator. The only way I can do things is if I don't change anything post-installation startup.
When humanity stands strong and people reach out for each other...
There’s no need for gods.

http://backloggery.com/ciato

Profile pic by (@bunneshi) on twitter!

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #968 on: November 01, 2009, 05:30:38 PM »
I use PSXEven myself.  EPSXE is one I've never had a good time with.  That, and from what I can recall, PSXEven is one of the few that an even run Brig, which was part of what made up my mind.

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #969 on: November 01, 2009, 05:32:48 PM »
I've never had that kind of problem with ePSXe, so I'm guessing it's just you.

Grefter

• Villain.
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • True and Honest. Smarter. More aggressive.
    • View Profile
« Reply #970 on: November 01, 2009, 10:05:11 PM »
Never had that problem myself either.  ePSXe takes a bit of arcane fiddling to get it how you want it, but still maintain that it is the best one out there and the arcane fiddling is actually kind of fun sometimes.  Not running Brig is far from a great fault with an emulator (Brig is fucked up).
NO MORE POKEMON - Meeplelard.
The king perfect of the DL is and always will be Excal. - Superaielman
Don't worry, just jam it in anyway. - SirAlex
Gravellers are like, G-Unit - Trancey.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #971 on: November 01, 2009, 11:45:58 PM »
It definitely has serious polish issues as an emulator and appears to be kinda glitchy. The emulation itself is at least excellent, I'm just surprised at how bad the interface is given how long PSX emulation has existed for. It is leagues behind where most SNES emulators were years ago.

Anyway...

Slums in Dorter

Arnaud is finally done with Chemist, so he goes Wizard and picks up Fire and Ice (no Bolt, that's no WA4 spell!). Raquel moves on to Knight, and gets some sweet new gear. This battle inflicts one reset upon me, but I try again, turning Jude into a Squire for a bit better stats (still with a Bow-Gun, off course). It's tricky because the ranged attackers kinda need to be kept under control. Raquel accumulates a lot and gets in the way of things, Arnaud picks off things from range, Jude and Yulie keep me alive. It's a hairy battle, but eventually, I do gain the upper hand.

Grefter Cellar

Yulie goes Knight since I want to get her to Geomancer (seems to fit Material's weather nanomachines best) eventually. She has only a Linen Robe for armour and an obsolete sword, but still works as a tanky healer. Arnaud moves onto Time Mage with Black Magic. He proves less useful than I'd like in this battle because Don't Move insists on missing, but a timely Slow does make a difference later in the fight. Between an Ether administered by Algus and picking up a crystal later in the fight, Yulie is able to keep the healing going, and while I do lose people periodically, it's nothing that two characters with Wish and one emergency Raiser can't handle. It's a very slow fight after I kill the Monks and Archers quickly, but Raquel accumulates up to 10 PA and smashes things. Jude goes rom Level 2 to 4 in this battle.

Thieves' Fort

Yulie returns to Priest while Raquel goes Monk (with Equip Sword of course, as well as Move+1) and picks up Critical Quick (i.e. Red Zone). Arnaud goes Oracle with Silence Song, and picks up Demi. This battle doesn't prompt too much difficulty as both Thieves appear to lack Charm. The Priests die quickly while charging to Raquel physicals, the Thieves get mopped up next. Miluda is last, and though the fight is dragged out by her grabbing a crystal and being Worst Zodiac with Raquel, the outcome isn't really in much doubt. Demi cuts through her defences nicely.

Lenalia Plateau

Yulie goes Geomancer now that Raquel opened it for her. She equips an AXE because Yulie isn't supposed to be able to evade and it makes the physical unreliable. I mean to set White Magic for her but I forget. Jude goes Thief with Item, now that he has Phoenix Down and Hi-Potion. Raquel goes Archer (still with Equip Sword and Accumulate). Anyway, this battle has a tough opening but the mages die pretty quickly to Raquel + whatever else. Demi and other attacks while holding in a pattern with Jude's items and Delita's Wish proves enough, though it would have been much smoother with White Magic.

Wiegraf Shed

Yulie gets her White Magic, Raquel goes Lancer. Jude steals a Monk's heart, while Arnaud uses Slow Down to rape a boss. Raquel and Delita and the charmed Monk take out the enemies well enough, then Wiegraf goes down to Demi, Raquel, and random other things. Item and White Magic cover the durability needs well enough.

Fort Zeakden

Jude goes Archer as part of his quest to become a Ninja. Otherwise the setup here is basically the same. First turn, a Wizard charges a fatal spell on Jude, but Yulie saves him with a timely Silence-inflicting Blizzard. Second turn, another Wizard tries to do something, and eats a Silence Song courtesy of Arnaud. I ignore the rest of the enemies and concentrate on Algus, Slowing him and Blinding him, but he insists on activating Auto-Potion most of the time. I think I have the battle under control, but then Algus uses Charge+20 and does 162 damage to Yulie. Ow! Arnaud meanwhile had been distracting Knight swarms and eventually died, since he had little better to do after using all his MP on Silence, Slow, and Demi. Ultimately, 12 PA best Zodiac Raquel kills Algus after everyone else dies.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #972 on: November 02, 2009, 02:43:48 AM »
Came up in chat, random idea etc.:

Oracles lose Rods, get Shields, lose innate Move MP Up, MP mult brought back up to original (110 instead of 90).

For:
- Emphasizes "melee mage" role (stick/shield combo)
- Leaves Rods and MA-heavy roles to Wizard/Summoner
- Makes Blind better
- Avoids the mess of innate Move MP Up clashing with Move HP Up (they can't combine)

Against:
- Devalues Equip Shield
- Makes them closer to Geos and crowds the shield-wearing caster niche a bit
- People were using them primarily for Move MP Up before

Pretty sure no one sees this potential change as overpowered (they're worse BM/Summon carriers in C1-2 due to lack of Rods, but get Wizard Staff + Aegis by C3 if they want to do that for whatever reason), but would it make Oracles more interesting is the question. Thoughts, comments?

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #973 on: November 02, 2009, 02:55:47 AM »
I like the idea myself - there isn't a single dedicated shield mage class, and the solution to Innate MP Move Up is actually sorta elegant. Move MP Up is an easily gotten ability for them anyway, so while it makes them worse earlygame as carriers (I started running an Oracle early for the MP regen, after all), they gain versatility later. Dunno how others feel about it, though. Also, if Oracles -are- losing Mov-MP UP as an innate, wouldn't they stand a slight bump on their MP mult?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2009, 03:25:53 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Ranmilia

• Poetry Lover
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Not a squid!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #974 on: November 02, 2009, 03:13:24 AM »
I like it, it gives the class an interesting niche that it feels like they badly needed.  Oracles in original FFT definitely felt like the melee mage class between sticks and the Defense Up-Life Drain combo.  In LFT they lost that in exchange for somewhat better YYM and... innate Move MP Up.  Not nearly as interesting or, well, good.  They remain the short range mage class (no options beyond effective range 5 except Blind - all other mage side classes have more, except Priest, and they do have Cure 4) but lost most of their short range effectiveness as Defense Up left them and moved over to the Knights and Lancers they tangle with in melee. 

Shields give them more survivability, more options (with their durability the choice of which shield  to wear is actually important), and more synergy with their skillset (BLIND HYPE) in exchange for ditching the Move MP Up business.... which is fine by me, honestly.  There are plenty of more interesting ways to deal with MP issues, including Spell Absorb and actually learning Move MP Up in Oracle itself. 

Having to actually learn Move MP Up in the class also helps balance out its JP costs with the other mages, who all have "expensive but well worth the cost" spells and RSM to save for.