Register

Author Topic: LFT: An FFT mod (The final release is a lie. Download here!)  (Read 410820 times)

Dapifer

• Platinum Paladin
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
Re: LFT: An FFT mod (complete and available for download!)
« Reply #850 on: October 14, 2009, 10:13:48 PM »
Similiar note to that, charm on red panthers can get seriously annoying. Oh well.

You read my mind, I was just thinking the exact same thing, at low levels they seem to fail much, but at level 99 they Charm my party with 100% success, so now I fear Red Panthers even more that Cuars or Vampires, I don't know if this was intended or not, but Red Panthers are waaaay more scary than ever before, at least to me o.o
-Semper Fidelis Usque Ad Mortem-

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
  • Generations of suffering & all I got was a stick
    • View Profile
« Reply #851 on: October 15, 2009, 08:43:04 AM »
10/16 patch stuff
* C4 fight rebalancing (in both directions)
* Broken items from fur shops removed. Reportedly too glitchy (stuff that shouldn't be there was showing up, and I suspect it may be causing Mo's issue as it's one of the later ASM changes I've made)
* Truth/Un-Truth changes (+1 range, -1 CT to all abilities, added MP costs, vert tolerance on Space Storage variants decreased from 3 to 1!!)
* Special character JP cost changes (yeah, overdue, I was lazy to touch them)
* Various minor JP cost/item tweaks (first spear available at Ch1 Kill Miluda, bards got daggers, Ninja Swords got a slight WP drop)
* Made squids more awesome
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 05:02:51 PM by Laggy »
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #852 on: October 15, 2009, 09:32:57 PM »
Mandalia Plains totally counts as a fight~

Kappa LFT:

Ramza I make Sagittarius for future plot to get around evil Laggy Phoenix Down bananaghans

Orbonne Monastery: *kills Djinn* Battle is 100x better, managed to get killed
Gariland Magic City, Mandalia Plains: These don't even count as fights

After we get to Igros I dismiss every generic and hire the ultimate team which I am using right now

Kohaku - Priest - Basic Skill/blank/Equip Change/blank - Gemini - 61/63
Saber - Knight - Item/Counter Tackle/Equip Change/blank - Aquarius - 69/49
Dr. Forrester - Wizard - White Magic/Counter Tackle/Equip Change/Move-Find Item - Sagittarius - 61/63
TV's Frank - Knight - White Magic/Counter Tackle/Equip Bow/blank - Sagittarius - 69/62

Random battles: Laggy mostly made these longer with the billion of statuses, managed one reset in a few of them.

Sweegy (Ramza L4, everyone else L2):

- Frank stays home because he has to push the button
- Algus nearly solos two Goblins and a Bomb due to evading 82% chances and getting Reraise from Spark
- The Black Goblin dies first due to the glitched Monster Skill thing
- Killing a Bomb over a Red Panther nearly leads to reset due to Saber (lion) panther fangirlism
- No crystals dropped so I had Kohaku and Dr. F slap each other near the end for JP/XP

Dorter:

- The top Archer decides to take a break and I replace him with Ramza, horrible death ensues.
- I take a 63% chance to kill the deadly UNARMED Archer for no reason because why not
- Bowgun Knight TV's Frank wins MVP somehow due to breaking Knight equips and killing Wizards

Sand Rat:

- Grefter kills Algus in .003 seconds
- Actually the entire map is the other five enemies dying in three seconds and Grefter taking a billion years to kill. I go and block the doorway with TV's Frank to seal off a crystal and critical Grefter OHKOs with Repeating Fist and takes the crystal, so I had to resort to poison bananaighans.
- Eventually he is beaten to death by a Kohaku flail which spells horrible things for us all

Ramza: Archer --> Thief (Charge + Two Swords)
Kohaku: Priest --> Oracle (Kohaku drugs the universe)
Saber: Knight --> Archer (Superior Servant)
Dr. Forrester: Wizard --> Time Mage (His experiment needed a good test case)
TV's Frank: Knight --> Priest for one fight --> Monk (Frank is proficient)

MILUDA:

- The outside Thief and Priest die very quickly and make it easy to control the map from there
- Miluda's lack of killing power only makes it easier, and a lot of enemy Thief movewaiting instead of attacking
- So that's how Blind got buffed
- I spend several turns waiting for crystals while Delita tries to Wish a dead Algus back alive at 63%, after four failures he goes fuck it and starts hitting critical Miluda again
« Last Edit: October 16, 2009, 02:21:23 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #853 on: October 16, 2009, 05:02:18 PM »
10/16 patch up
<Eph> When Laggy was there to fuel my desire to open crates, my life was happy.  Now I'm stuck playing a shitty moba and playing Anime RPGs.

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #854 on: October 16, 2009, 05:58:36 PM »
* Gatewalker applies the patch...eyes as Reinforce and Replenish turn into Shine Lover and Gil Taking.

What?
<%Laggy> we're open minded individuals here
<+RandomKesaranPasaran> are we
<%Laggy> no not really.

<Tide|NukicommentatoroptionforF> Hatbot is a pacifist

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #855 on: October 16, 2009, 05:59:32 PM »
facepalm

I gave mc the wrong patch, correcting this. >_>

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #856 on: October 16, 2009, 06:05:07 PM »
FIgured it might have been something I did wrong, deleted all the LFT/FFT stuff, re-extracted the ISO/reapplied the patch, etc.

Now stuff has the right names. Maybe I did something wrong the first time, though I'm pretty sure what I did this time was the same thing. Dunno.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Nitori

• Denizen
  • The only thing YOU'RE onto is your mot-
    • View Profile
« Reply #857 on: October 17, 2009, 04:36:28 AM »
Lesalia:

- Uh...boring, I guess

Wiegraf 1:

- I bring everyone but TV's Frank
- The Oracle uses ZOMBIE on Ramza, omg
- Ramza's Thief/Charge setup is nice, but that means I have no other revival other than Kohaku
- Kohaku promptly gets killed after trying to Paralyze three people and succeeding on two of them
- Therefore Wiegraf has to be blitzed and I don't get to collect crystals~

Zeakden:

- I leave out Dr. F
- Algus starts with Move+1 and Charge+6 and good compat with my team, making him the most damaging and durable unit on the field by a good while
- SUPER manages to be threatening with about 35-40 damage a shot, I fail. I needed to land a 48% killing shot on him to actually win
or he would have grabbed a crystal
- Saber cosplaying Archer was MVP, killing the Wizards was kinda crucial
« Last Edit: October 17, 2009, 04:38:16 AM by Nitori »
<Ko-NitoriisSulpher> roll 1d100 to grade Nitori?
<Hatbot> ACTION --> "Ko-NitoriisSulpher rolls 1d100 to grade Nitori? and gets 100." [1d100=100]

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Social Justice Steampunk Literature Character
  • New Age Retro Fucking Hipster
  • Denizen
  • Ah'm tuff fer mah size!
    • View Profile
« Reply #858 on: October 18, 2009, 05:42:16 AM »
Okay, since I started LFT and Laggy loves feedback, I'll sorta quicklog how the battles go here, while the more general/non-sequitur comments land in WGAYP. There will be plenty of non-sequiturs here, though, since that's just how my mind works. >_>

Orbonne Monastery - Gafgarion and DjinnAndTonic's Indian Wedding

The only things of note here were Agrias Stopping the Knight and Djinn getting married by blood with Gafgarini (man, and I don't even think he digs older man. But then, Gafgarion is so ugly that not even I could love him). This fight sorta has to be trivial. <_<

Magic City Gariland - It Doesn't Deserve An Episode Name

As well as this one. It's pretty telling that the only reason I healed at all here was because I wanted more XP for my ridiculously blessed opening round of generics. The peoples were falling down with 20 damage thwacks. I tried to abuse corpses for crystals, but Delita had to be an ass.

Mandalia Plains - The Melancholy Of Algus Sadalfas

This one wasn't much either, but my basic setup highlights one of the things I already love about LFT: innate JP Up for the masses. Due to that, almost all of my party could afford to start beelining into the first wave of jobs with a few key skills to boot. Ramza as a Wizard and a Priest with Black Magic made the battle rather trivial (like hell I'd bother rescuing Algus. This proved to be a smart choice, as the Thief and Squire proceeded to merrily 2HKO him like the worthless cur he is). Bolt 2HKOed the Panther with overwhelming ease, and its attempt to charm my Squire (which used to be a Chemist, but I wanted to make use of the 74 BRAVE) fails. One of the cool things is that I'm beginning to intuitively apply basic math into the fights as of now, calculating CT and all without much thought, which never really occurred to me before. Another thing of note: 50% of the damage done to one of the people in the fight was via POIZN. Funny, if nothing else. I like the added radius on the spell. I should start abusing crystals more from now on, though.

Currently, I have Ramza as a Wizard, planning to keep him there for a while until Magic UP kicks in along with L2s at least and maybe the status. Then, I'll beeline to Summoner. Probably will toss him back to Wizard once I get what I want from Summoner and work a secondary from there. Will try to make two other mages and two physicallers. What will they do, though, I'm still pondering.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:11:18 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> HEY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> LAGGY
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> UVIET?!??!?!
[01:08] <Laggy> YA!!!!!!!!!1111111111
[01:08] <Soppy-ReturningToInaba> OMG!!!!
[01:08] <Chulianne> No wonder you're small.
[01:08] <TranceHime> cocks
[01:08] <Laggy> .....

VySaika

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #859 on: October 18, 2009, 10:10:16 AM »
Snow: Get Death and Short Charge on the same person. You will not be dissapointed.
<%Laggy> no not really.

Excal

• Chibi Terror That Flaps in the Night
  • DL
  • Denizen
  • Let's Get Adorable
    • View Profile
« Reply #860 on: October 18, 2009, 10:28:53 AM »
Screw that, get Death on a Calc.  Also not dissapointing.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #861 on: October 19, 2009, 05:58:55 AM »
Continuing my epic logventures!

Sweegy Woods - Fantastic Unlimited Laggy

This is where I start gnawing on Laggy because jesus christ what did he do to monsters it's so funny. I felt I could be overwhelmed in this fight, because Meatbone Slash counters looked scary as fuck and my team is frail - not to mention that I brought Timothy the Squire so he could get the JP for job-jumping. This ended up proving not a bad idea, though - he could 2HKO the Bombs pretty easy, and the bombs themselves were too stupid to self-destruct - however, they were very fond of Sparking. It's pretty telling that they hit Timothy with RERAISE twice in a row, which was hysterical (and useful! You see, he ended up dying once). The battle itself was simple enough, though - Goblins are still turned into mush by Ice castings, particularly off Wizard Ramza, and while Algus' suicidal bumrushing into a Meatbone Slash counter may seem pointless, he managed to eat off the Bomb without fuss. No other big surprises, really.

Trade City Dorter - I Wonder If Alex Cackled Madly Here On The LFT Archer SCC

Archer is a fucking monster in this map. Junk, my 74/63 Archer with Armor Break, sniped about half the battle here. Setup was: Wizard/Priest Ramza, Priest/Time Mage, Wizard/Priest generic with 74 Faith and Timothy, now a Knight with Charge/Battle Skill. Led Ramza and the mages - along with the Knight - through the low ground, while Junk picked the highway along with Delita (who is an archer). Algus was useless. The ground mage, I mostly baited: Ramza opened with Bolting the bastard, and he survived - however, when he reached the party to do stuff, he was in range of the archer, who killed him dead. Afterwards, the battle was mostly a lolfest: the archers were sniped one by one, since Junk was 2HKOing the hell out of them, and the other Wizard was easily handled by my Wizards themselves. Opening with Haste on almost all my party just made things go faster to boot. The Knight was the last creature left alive, which gave me time to pick up a couple crystals. Pity they only had Chemist stuff, but hey. Pretty simple all in all, although I really want to get Eva out of Wizard now for more variety and maybe going into Summoner.

Sand Rat Cellar - How Communism Was Thwarted By Halbarad

This battle was a barrel of monkeys. Setup was Wizard Ramza with White, male Oracle with White, Time Mage (with no Time Magic learned! She only was there for Summoner beelining) with Black and Timothy, the slaughterer of worlds. Ramza went to back up Delita, who decided it was a good idea to solo the monks. No real issue, though, as the monks brilliantly aligned perfectly into a Bolt 2 OHKO from Ramza-kins. Now, this is where the fight got funny. I had Timothy go through the back door where the dead monks were left to rot. Meanwhile, Algus baits the knights, doing a number on them. The knights bunch up and then the Time Mage casts Poizn, hitting them -and- Algus. Meanwhile, the male Oracle tries his hand at Paralyze, failing a 81% chance. He did this -twice- throughout the battle. Then, Timothy reaches the inside of the den, where the archers uselessly try to beat him down. This is pretty ugly, actually: Timothy just went in chopping heads due to Charge+3 and critting people dead while Poison eked the rest of their sad lives. A BOWGUN KNIGHT even managed to break his armor, but lol ensues here. Time Mage got KOed twice, but nothing Ramza couldn't solve. By the end, only the bowgun knight was even alive, and I ended up killing him with Poison+ staff thwacks while the Oracle abused Move-MP Up+Cure, because everybody else ran out of MP by that point and the dead losers dropped a ton of crystals. Racked up a bunch of useful skills for Timothy, who may end up beelining to Geomancer when I get Speed Break for him. Charge freaking rules, by the way.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:12:41 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

superaielman

• "Mordero daghain pas duente cuebiyar/The fear of death holds not my heart!"
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #862 on: October 19, 2009, 03:34:05 PM »
Is Negotiate supposed to be able to work while the target is asleep Laggy?
"Reputation is what other people know about you. Honor is what you know about yourself"- Count Aral Vorkosigan, A Civil Campaign
-------------------
<Meeple> knownig Square-enix, they'll just give us a 2nd Kain
<Ciato> he would be so kawaii as a chibi...

Laggy

• ReDux'd
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #863 on: October 19, 2009, 05:12:37 PM »
Uh, wasn't intended, but there's no real way to fix it because the Talk Skill formulae are hardcoded (so if I used the original it would go back to gil stealing). So... I guess Negotiate gets that special perk. (You can tie them up in red tape even if they're asleep!!)

Random Consonant

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #864 on: October 19, 2009, 07:01:12 PM »
Truly the powers of the bureaucracy are mystifying.

Anyways, loggery!

Orbonne Monestary

Pffft, the only reason this counts for anything is because Trisection is <3.

Gariland Magic City

I look over my starting generics and weep.  Females with sub-50 Faith!  Males with sub-50 Brave!  Only one worth saving is Soetheby the 66/68 Male Chemist.  At any rate, uneventful battle is uneventful, and Delita was too much of an ass for Team Buttpants to harvest the souls of the fallen.  Battle ends and I blow my starting funds to hire some generics that don't hilariously fail it up.

Mandalia Plains

Algus is told to screw himself.  Sadly he proves himself somewhat competent and doesn't immediately die.  Otherwise, the only thing of note in the battle was a Squire with a bowgun, who was promptly killed and the bowgun surrendered when he became a box.

After a bunch of random battles for cash and JP grindery...

Sweegy Woods

Only thing of interest in the battle was my Wizard killing Algus with friendly fire.  Maybe the douche will learn not to be in the way when there's a Red Panther that needs killing.  A bomb reraised and no one cared.

Edit: might as well throw in more stuff.

Dorter Slums, where the game actually starts!

Man, Dorter is fun.  Archer owns, Hasted Wizard owns, Archer using Algus for target practice owns.  Not a lot to be said about it.

Sand Ra-a-a-a-at Cellar

I try to get cute with Zmobie shenanigans, but unfortunately the game decided that it wants none of it.  So I switch to plan two, have Hasted Wizard destroy everything.  As one might expect, it works brilliantly.  Delita and Algus prove to be completely useless, and all is well with the world.

Edit 2: And more!

In the meanwhile, I decide that I want a bard, so I hire another generic and plan to get Bard unlocked in the forseeable future.

Thieves Fort

I try the godlike combination of Any Weather + Fire Rod + Fire 2 for this battle, but sadly the enemies only had mediocre Faith, so the best my poor pyromaniac Wizard could do was make them medium-rare.  However, she got to set fire to Algus, so it's all good.  Otherwise, the battle was quite uneventful.

Lenalia Plateau

Epic.  An enemy Wizard decided that it was going to charge Bolt 2 right within striking distance of my Geomancer.  Who had good zodiac compat with him.  GJ FFT AI.  Miluda breaks her hat for this, but her support manages to fall too quickly to do much good and she herself is taken out in short order.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2009, 07:06:37 AM by Random Consonant »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #865 on: October 20, 2009, 05:52:11 PM »
Beat LFT recently, started another playthrough, summary post because Lagbeasts ask for it.

LFT lifts the game from a 6.5 to 9 for me, battles are well designed, great care was taken in balancing things, all this appeals to me.

Invidual class usage thoughts.

Special characters/monsters: None were used.

Squire: I appreciate the effort to make this a real class. It's still, well...kind of boring. Hence haven't used it past the beginning where I pick up Throw Stone or something. Getting Rid of Yell nonsense is good.

Chemist: Personally find Item really boring too. PDown was picked up on one PC though.

Knight: See above really. Various characters picked up different parts of the RSM.

Archers: Love. Innate Ignore Height makes archers fantastic fun, and Charge is a BRUTAL physical skillset. Every single one of the RSM is appealing too. Probably one of the most improved.

Monk: Punch Art is one of personal favorite skillsets for the catchall defensive side, especially with Revive buff and JP cost sanitizing. Counter and Jump+3 saw play.

Priest: Improved, a lot. Now White actually works as a defensive skillset instead of being revive only bait.

Wizard: Mmm sweet sizzling death. The utility spells are also good, Poison especially. POISON of all things.

Time Mage: Did not use. Did pick up on the new playthrough for a bit, have gotten mileage out of Haste and Don't Move already.

Summoner: Murderizing things on the new playthrough. Moogle's also good.

Thief: THE most improved, perhaps. Early/midgame version of Ninja with innate Secret Hunt and Steal Heart option? Oh yes. Brutal when paired with Charge.

Mediator: Not much comment yet.

Oracle: Yin Yang is fun. Confusion Song, FOXBIRD!!!, Pray Faith, Life Drain and Paralyze saw most play. Also special bonus award for having Any Weather be worth possibly taking.

Geomancer: Bores me. Got Attack Up on two characters and got out.

Lancer: Offense-oriented version of Knight with Jump adding a few tricks to use. Jumping on people's heads got mostly unviable in the final dungeon, was still worth it as a tanky reviver.

Samurai: Big ST ITE physical damage, solid area magical damage, Kiyomori, healing...crazy good. Only downsides are speed and maintenance costs.

Ninja: Picks up when Thief trails off a bit. Used with an Angel Ring setup, which is absolutely brutal. Charge into the middle of enemies, carve up someone, die, reraise, you are already behind enemy lines so walk up to assassination target and unleash a big charge.

Bard/Dancer/Mime/Calc: Did not get.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #866 on: October 20, 2009, 10:02:29 PM »
Thieves' Fort - Miluda's Groundhog Day

Sadly, I didn't use ANY WEATHER+FIRE ROD combo here, which would've been cruel and unusual punishment to this map. Over here, I have a Mediator, who proceeds to Negotiate spam the hell out of the world (highlight being Miluda getting stopped twice in a row off awesome 30% odds). This was highly useful mainly because I was abusing corpses for shiny crystals. Good idea, although the best results happened in the next battle. Things otherwise fell like flies.

Lenalia Plateau - Miluda Goes Sleepless In Seattle

Okay, this is my first reset, and due to no fault of the battle itself, which is very simple: what happened was that, like before, I tried to abuse the crystals, but had the brilliant hindsight to only bring -two- revivers, and Miluda managed to get me into a loop of revive reviver - reviver dead, and in this bout of brilliance, I entirely forgot I had a dead Summoner begging to be reanimated until the Priest ran out of HP. Whoops. Second try went much smoothly: victorious setup was Wizard Ramza/Summoner Eva with a Fire Rod and Ifrit/Monk Timothy beelining for Geomancer so I can pick up Attack Up/Thief Junk/Priest/Mediator whateverhernameis, who spammed the fuck out of Praise and Preach. Highlight was overkilling Wizards with a punch without charge. Almost considered keeping Timothy in Monk, but I want Attack UP more, and I'm likely hopping him into Lancer once I finish beelining shit.

Windmill Shed - Funky Cancercancer Edition

Reset #2 for -the same reason- as the first, sorta: I decided killing the entirety of support was worth the trouble when I was nearly 2HKOing Wiegraf with majeeks. May as well press the battleskip button, I guess.

Current PC builds

Ramza - Wizard/Priest. Very vanilla, but is basically a ridiculous damage cannon with revival as of now. Pondering where to go once I get MAU, since I'm not bothering with Wizard skillset past Death besides spillover for carrier purposes. Kinda want to avoid Summoner because I did Summoner Ramza last playthrough and I already have a Summoner to boot.

Eva - Summoner/Priest. Subs in Black Magic when I need faster offense, but revival is just too important. Does her job off 74 Faith, and that is making things die off a ridiculous radius. Good stuff.

Timothy - Geomancer/Charge/Battle Skill. Just beelining here. Timothy was very useful as a Knight, and Charge benefits so many physical classes it's not funny. Has Speed Break if I feel like using that. Probably homing him into Lancer once I'm done setting him up as a Attack UP guy.

Junk - Thief/Charge. Quick Attack is sorta wasted on Thief, but otherwise has been very good to me. Charge is wonderful, have up to Charge+6 on him and I'm likely to not need any more. Great offense and speed, Steal Heart was useful on Miluda 2~.

Anton - Oracle/Priest. 81 Faith~, may swap between Priest and Oracle because Move MP-Up is really useful for resource staving and defensive play. Oracle status, as usual, is excellent, and due to high Faith, his healing/revival covers stuff well.

Nena - Priest/Mediator. So want to alternate between Mediator and Priest here, the skillsets are very fun and having a dedicated Priest should be a good idea. Efficient and works into Faith/Brave twinking really easily. Buffing up the Faith/Brave skills makes me really happy.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 08:15:16 AM by Jo'ou Ranbu »

Tonfa

• DL
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #867 on: October 20, 2009, 10:08:38 PM »
Second playthrough report: BardRamza, Mediator Captain Square, a Flotiball and a Squidrockin just totally owned Algus.

I love this hack.
<Niu> If I ever see that Langfadood, i'll strangle him on sight
<Gourry> What, for making the game three times better?
<Gourry> And playable, at that?
<Niu> that lose the whole point of of L2!!!

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #868 on: October 20, 2009, 10:45:37 PM »
... flotiballs are -usable-?

Taishyr

« Reply #869 on: October 20, 2009, 11:25:14 PM »
Look of Devil and Difference are apparently quite powerful.

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #870 on: October 21, 2009, 12:52:08 AM »
Look of Devil and Difference are apparently quite powerful.
They're not bad, at any rate.  There's better.  For instance...

Look of Devil randomly adds ONE of Petrify, Stop, Don't Act, Silence, or Darkness
...Compare to Vampire's Blaster which randomly adds one of Petrify or Stop.  (Blaster is the big selling-point of a tier 3 monster, to be fair).

Difference is sometimes quite good, though varies hugely in effectiveness by fight.  Against someone like Kletian it cuts straight through Defence Up/Magic Defence Up/Protect/Shell and deals a lot of damage because of his high MP.  Against enemy monsters who have no MP reserves, it's barely worth mentioning.  I'm expecting it to do ridiculous things to a few bosses, though.  Bosses have weird stats in LFT, and were definitely not designed with difference in mind.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #871 on: October 21, 2009, 12:56:17 AM »
Does it wall ZALMO 2!?

metroid composite

• m_ACac
  • Administrator
  • Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #872 on: October 21, 2009, 01:22:33 AM »
Does it wall ZALMO 2!?
Well...for starters, it has 3 vertical tolerance, so some flying up onto the building may be called for with Zalmo 2; he probably can't be hit on turn 1 because of this.  For another thing, Zalmo 2 has MP Switch, which means this would instantly clear his MP reserves, and then after when he has no MP left, this would deal 0 damage.

Jo'ou Ranbu

• Denizen
    • View Profile
« Reply #873 on: October 21, 2009, 01:36:48 AM »
Awesome. Must badger Tonfa into this.

Dark Holy Elf

• DL
  • Denizen
  • Well-behaved women seldom make history
    • View Profile
« Reply #874 on: October 21, 2009, 01:41:32 AM »
Attack Up JP cost changed to 300.  It's just getting a lot of competition from Martial Arts, Two Hands, Concentrate, and Two Swords.  It's sometimes the best option, yes, but at 600 JP when I often had two other good options already learned that I could switch between (for, say, a Ninja (Con/MA) or a Knight (TH/Maintenance)) I usually just wouldn't bother with the  JP detour.

Didn't notice this before, but it came up in chat recently.

I am confused by this change. Even at 600 JP, Attack Up saw plenty of use on our last playthrough. You don't need to unlock Ninja/Samurai to get it, it boosts things Martial Arts doesn't, and Concentrate is a different beast entirely. This is ignoring things like Samurai physicals, guns, and swordskills in which is pretty much the only effective support skill boost, and these are not especially esoteric setups. I could see saying that 600 is too high, but lowering it below its vanilla JP cost? Seriously? It was always a well-used support ability. Geomancer is already easy to unlock and painless to be in, Attack Up doesn't need to have half its JP cost taken care of by unlocking the class.

Erwin Schrödinger will kill you like a cat in a box.
Maybe.